PDA

View Full Version : Notre Dame Joins Big Ten

DU82
07-02-2017, 07:55 PM
...in hockey

http://www.bigten.org/sports/m-hockey/spec-rel/070117aaa.html

WakeDevil
07-02-2017, 08:13 PM
Maybe we'll get lucky and they will join in the other sports.

JasonEvans
07-03-2017, 10:41 AM

Why would you want that? They are no less geographically desirable than many other teams in the conference at this point** and they bring a lot to the table in terms of competition, TV ratings, and prestige. If they were not part of the ACC, I doubt last year's fabulous football victory on national TV would ever have happened.

And, in the sport we all care about the most, Notre Dame is an excellent member of the conference. Sure, they beat Duke a good bit more often than we would like, but they seem to conduct themselves honorably and have a truly excellent coach (who bears a strong connection to the Duke program). There are at least 5 or 6 other teams I would rather see leave the ACC before Notre Dame.

-Jason " **- see below for driving distances to some distant ACC opponents" Evans

Miami - 830 miles
Notre Dame - 710 miles
Boston College - 690 miles
Florida St - 650 miles
Syracuse - 630 miles

CameronBlue
07-05-2017, 03:19 PM

Wouldn't miss em. Part-timers, accidental tourists, whatev. They never understood our idiosyncrasies nor we, theirs. An unnatural marriage never meant to be.

ipatent
07-05-2017, 03:28 PM
I miss the days of eight Southeastern teams and a tournament without byes, but they're a good fit for the new ACC academically and athletically.

luvdahops
07-05-2017, 04:27 PM
I miss the days of eight Southeastern teams and a tournament without byes, but they're a good fit for the new ACC academically and athletically.

Agreed on both counts. ND is arguably the one school most similar to Duke in the current ACC. And if one accepts that expansion has been a necessary evil, adding the Irish seems like a home run, with the potential to become a grand slam if they ever join as a full football member. Of course I live in Chicago, so may be a bit biased on the subject.

ipatent
07-05-2017, 05:24 PM
Agreed on both counts. ND is arguably the one school most similar to Duke in the current ACC. And if one accepts that expansion has been a necessary evil, adding the Irish seems like a home run, with the potential to become a grand slam if they ever join as a full football member. Of course I live in Chicago, so may be a bit biased on the subject.

UVa is a pretty good match as well despite being a state institution.

superdave
07-05-2017, 05:37 PM
I love the Irish and am glad to have them in the ACC.

If conferences keep getting bigger, keeping Notre Dame in the fold is an essential part of keeping the long-standing ACC members together.

OldPhiKap
07-05-2017, 06:52 PM
If conferences keep getting bigger, keeping Notre Dame in the fold is an essential part of keeping the long-standing ACC members together.

For better or worse, this is exactly right.

lotusland
07-05-2017, 11:09 PM
ND is definitely my favorite new member of the ACC by far.

CrazyNotCrazie
07-06-2017, 08:34 AM
ND is definitely my favorite new member of the ACC by far.

I agree 100% but the bar is very low - I'm not thrilled with most of the other new members. BC is the only other school that resembles Duke at all but they have added very little competitively.