PDA

View Full Version : Jay Williams in Chess Pro-Am

SlapTheFloor
06-27-2017, 12:27 PM
I thought this was interesting. I was over at Chess.com, and was surprised to see a picture of Jay Williams on the front page. Apparently Chess.com and The Player's Tribune combined forces for a chess pro-am tournament. Jay ended up losing to Larry Johnson.

https://www.chess.com/news/view/athletes-team-with-gms-for-nyc-pro-am-6813

Jeffrey
06-27-2017, 01:26 PM
Jay ended up losing to Larry Johnson.

Jay may have lost, but, IMO, that does not make Larry Johnson a winner.

Li_Duke
06-27-2017, 01:32 PM
Cool, they have the actual games up on that link. Some terrible chess was played though.

OldPhiKap
06-27-2017, 02:15 PM
I seem to recall that Jason was captain of his high school chess club. Am I just making that up?

Jeffrey
06-27-2017, 02:29 PM
I seem to recall that Jason was captain of his high school chess club. Am I just making that up?

It doesn't matter. We clearly started the wrong PG. Hurley would have kicked Johnson's backside.

Rich
06-27-2017, 03:09 PM
Cool, they have the actual games up on that link. Some terrible chess was played though.

Man, our very own Jason Evans does it all! :rolleyes:

bob blue devil
06-27-2017, 03:13 PM
i had the exact same thought. if we both have the same vague recollection, it must be right?

yikes! understatement.

FadedTackyShirt
06-27-2017, 04:24 PM
Chess smess. Bilas would dominate Pervis in pro-am twister.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-27-2017, 05:05 PM
It doesn't matter. We clearly started the wrong PG. Hurley would have kicked Johnson's backside.

Because he played for the Sacramento Kings?

Jeffrey
06-27-2017, 05:29 PM
Because he played for the Sacramento Kings?

Well, like most of his UNLV teammates, Larry was certainly old enough to have been playing in the NBA. However, it was probably a good thing Larry matured before making ~ $100 million in his NBA career, so, he could manage his money prudently and pay to raise his children. It would have been rather pathetic, if Larry ended up declaring bankruptcy and refusing to pay $120k in back child support.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Well, like most of his UNLV teammates, Larry was certainly old enough to have been playing in the NBA. However, it was probably a good thing Larry matured before making ~ $100 million in his NBA career, so, he could manage his money prudently and pay to raise his children. It would have been rather pathetic, if Larry ended up declaring bankruptcy and refusing to pay $120k in back child support.

I was referring to Bobby Hurley, who played for the Sacramento Kings. Kings-->Chess - you can't beat chess puns...

Jeffrey
06-27-2017, 05:43 PM
I was referring to Bobby Hurley, who played for the Sacramento Kings. Kings-->Chess - you can't beat chess puns...

and, my love for UNLV is still alive and well. :D

rasputin
06-27-2017, 05:53 PM

As Roger Murdock said, I'm out there busting my buns every knight. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

OldPhiKap
06-27-2017, 06:42 PM
As Roger Murdock said, I'm out there busting my buns every knight. Tell your old man to drag Walton and Lanier up and down the court for 48 minutes!

What's your vector, Victor?

rthomas
06-27-2017, 07:47 PM
Listen, chess is a great game. And to diss anybody about the level of play is not cool. Not an easy game, like golf. and any level of play represents brain power. Respect to JWill.

duke4ever19
06-27-2017, 11:13 PM

My uncle knew Larry "Grandmama" Johnson back when Larry was a Hornet. Larry even came to my uncles birthday party and played basketball with the kids and signed shirts and hats etc.

I wasn't there, but my uncle still has a pic on his refrigerator of his two kids hanging on Larry Johnson's arms like they're swinging on a tree branch.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-28-2017, 09:16 AM

He also made a very large donation to the United Way in Charlotte after signing his first contract. People who I knew in Charlotte had lots of good things to say about him.

swood1000
06-28-2017, 10:08 AM
What's your vector, Victor?
Surely you can't be serious.

rasputin
06-28-2017, 10:27 AM
Surely you can't be serious.

Stop calling me Shirley.

rsvman
06-28-2017, 10:47 AM
I think I picked a bad week to give up cocaine.

Jeffrey
06-28-2017, 10:50 AM
He also made a very large donation to the United Way in Charlotte after signing his first contract. People who I knew in Charlotte had lots of good things to say about him.

Well, hopefully he is paying to take care of his own children....

http://www.tmz.com/2015/03/25/nbas-larry-johnson-alleged-deadbeat-dad-to-four-baby-mamas/

Selover
06-28-2017, 03:17 PM
I think I picked a bad week to give up cocaine.

As stated in your signature, failure is always an option..