PDA

View Full Version : Pocius: "Time to hang them up."

94duke
06-16-2017, 02:51 PM
https://www.instagram.com/p/BVaDuxyBcmV/

That's it. Time to hang them up. Time to finally listen to my body...

flyingdutchdevil
06-16-2017, 02:54 PM

That's an awesome note. Most competitive athletes experience these kinds of pains, especially in the twilight years of their career. I think Pocius's note is really lovely, honest, and realistic.

Wish he had learned to play defense whilst at Duke, cus I would love to see him play more.

devildeac
06-16-2017, 03:55 PM
I just sent this to our son who was friends with Marty and tutored him while he was at Duke. I think he'll appreciate it. Nice find. Thanks for sharing.

tbyers11
06-16-2017, 04:06 PM
"I hope that with all the basketball-related wear and tear that his calves made it through unscathed" - Ghost of Rick Majerus

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In seriousness, Marty was a favorite of mine while he was at Duke and I enjoyed following his pro career, particularly with the Lithuanian national team.

I wish him best of luck with what's next

elvis14
06-16-2017, 09:20 PM

Thanks for sharing that. Always liked Marty (and wished he would have been on the floor more). Interesting note, when I read the comments one of them was from Taylor King.

DukieTiger
06-17-2017, 12:01 AM
If only it was time for the rest of us in the HS class of '05 to retire.

Sigh...

Seriously though, wasn't Marty just at Duke last year?!

MHNOLADevil
06-17-2017, 12:49 AM
The comments were sweet to read, too. Marty was clearly beloved both by his fellow athletes and fans. I dig this comment from a former teammate: "jjredick Much respect, Marty! You gave the game everything u had. All the best in retirement my man!"

awhom111
06-17-2017, 01:48 AM
This is sad to hear as it has been fun following a Duke classmate on a varied and adventurous professional career. Unfortunately, injuries hampered him at every stop of his career and it makes sense to call it quits before they could take any further toll. Maybe the K Academy experience leads to him following his father's footsteps into coaching. If not, hopefully more photography is in his future.

Thanks for sharing that. Always liked Marty (and wished he would have been on the floor more). Interesting note, when I read the comments one of them was from Taylor King.

Olek too, along with many former teammates and opponents. It was good to see so much support for him from all of the teams he played on with Marcus Slaughter from Real Madrid saying many nice things.

Taylor seems to bear no ill will towards Duke and often can be found engaging former teammates on social media.

Edouble
06-17-2017, 11:39 AM
This is sad to hear as it has been fun following a Duke classmate on a varied and adventurous professional career. Unfortunately, injuries hampered him at every stop of his career and it makes sense to call it quits before they could take any further toll. Maybe the K Academy experience leads to him following his father's footsteps into coaching. If not, hopefully more photography is in his future.

Olek too, along with many former teammates and opponents. It was good to see so much support for him from all of the teams he played on with Marcus Slaughter from Real Madrid saying many nice things.

Taylor seems to bear no ill will towards Duke and often can be found engaging former teammates on social media.

Is he a photographer? I did not know about this.

awhom111
06-18-2017, 12:35 AM
This is probably a good time to tell the story of my favorite encounter between the non-athletic and athletic world at Duke (not counting the time Coach K politely sympathized with me while I complained about my final exams). When we were freshmen, a group from my dorm went to play at Brodie. Marty was shooting on one of the baskets, so being nice, one of the group, not knowing who he was, went to Marty and invited him to join. Marty declined for obvious reasons, to which the guy responded: "It's okay. We're not good either."

Is he a photographer? I did not know about this.

I'm not a photography expert so I am not sure how good he is, but he likes to take pictures and try out new equipment, which leads to some cool stuff on Instagram.