PDA

View Full Version : Scheyer's "The Offseason" Podcast - Season 2 Has Launched

Billy Dat
06-15-2017, 05:01 PM
Coach Scheyer launched "The Offseason" in the summer of 2016. He just started up Season 2 with an interview with K.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211626193

There's not much NEW but he does promise that every player and coach will be interviewed this season (which runs typically between now and the start of school in the fall).

K mentioned that Sean Dockery works for the Spurs. According to Wikipedia, he's an advanced scout.

Furniture
06-15-2017, 05:27 PM
Fantastic. I loved last years pod!!

theschwartz
06-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Coach Scheyer launched "The Offseason" in the summer of 2016. He just started up Season 2 with an interview with K.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211626193

There's not much NEW but he does promise that every player and coach will be interviewed this season (which runs typically between now and the start of school in the fall).

K mentioned that Sean Dockery works for the Spurs. According to Wikipedia, he's an advanced scout.

Great interview! The thing that caught my attention at the end was that Coach K signed Scheyer's ketubah (Jewish wedding contract for those who aren't familiar). Jewish tradition states that the signers should be male, not a relative, and an observant Jew. I guess when you have the GOAT on hand willing to sign his name, you can make an exception or two. I'm actually getting married in September and would LOVE for Coach K to sign the ketubah - not gonna hold my breath though.

vfefrenzy
06-16-2017, 10:20 AM
The best part was K busting Jon's balls in the latter portion.

atoomer0881
06-16-2017, 10:27 AM
Great interview! The thing that caught my attention at the end was that Coach K signed Scheyer's ketubah (Jewish wedding contract for those who aren't familiar). Jewish tradition states that the signers should be male, not a relative, and an observant Jew. I guess when you have the GOAT on hand willing to sign his name, you can make an exception or two. I'm actually getting married in September and would LOVE for Coach K to sign the ketubah - not gonna hold my breath though.

Loved this part too! I'm not sure the signer has to be an observant Jew in reform Judaism. But literally, I said the same thing last night to my parents -- that if an exception were ever to be made, it'd be made for the GOAT haha.

The best part was K busting Jon's balls in the latter portion.

Yea, I loved how Coach basically said Jon pulled off a major upset getting his wife to agree to marry him. I was cracking up. It's during moments like these (having Coach at your wedding, or signing your Ketubah, or just shooting the I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this. on a podcast) that I think how lucky these kids are to have had the opportunity to not only play for Coach, but form a bond and friendship that goes so far beyond just basketball. Makes me really wish I was better at basketball hahah

Troublemaker
06-16-2017, 11:41 AM
Another interesting part of the podcast was when Jon and Coach K mentioned how, since this is the first offseason in awhile without Team USA duties for Coach, the staff is doing a thorough top to bottom evaluation of the program to make sure that it is still "current," only the 6th time or so in Coach's career that they've done this.

We'll have to see if anything new emerges from this process. For those hoping for a deeper rotation, for example, they might conclude that since kids these days have itchier transfer fingers than before, it might make sense to go a little bit deeper and give, say, 5 mpg to the 9th and 10th men. Something like that. But, as always, best not to get one's hopes up and become disappointed later with these things.

Furniture
06-16-2017, 12:26 PM
I also thought the conversation about telling Javin and Vrank to step up and be more vocal interesting.
All in all a great Pod. It's going to keep summer interesting!

DukieTiger
06-16-2017, 11:58 PM
Another interesting part of the podcast was when Jon and Coach K mentioned how, since this is the first offseason in awhile without Team USA duties for Coach, the staff is doing a thorough top to bottom evaluation of the program to make sure that it is still "current," only the 6th time or so in Coach's career that they've done this.

We'll have to see if anything new emerges from this process. For those hoping for a deeper rotation, for example, they might conclude that since kids these days have itchier transfer fingers than before, it might make sense to go a little bit deeper and give, say, 5 mpg to the 9th and 10th men. Something like that. But, as always, best not to get one's hopes up and become disappointed later with these things.

No insider knowledge but I'd wager that the last time one of these happened was in the mid-aughts, maybe 2007 or 2008. My memory/hunch is that their conclusion was that Duke BB had a bit of an image problem, and (maybe) the most significant thing to come out of that reflection was Duke Blue Planet.

Count me in the group that is intrigued to see what tweaks are made.

Philadukie
06-17-2017, 09:08 AM

I think this is one more reason for why we have the greatest college coach of all time. Like a great CEO, he's always looking at how to keep the program relevant and competitive in a constantly changing landscape.

msdukie
06-18-2017, 12:14 AM
No insider knowledge but I'd wager that the last time one of these happened was in the mid-aughts, maybe 2007 or 2008. My memory/hunch is that their conclusion was that Duke BB had a bit of an image problem, and (maybe) the most significant thing to come out of that reflection was Duke Blue Planet.

Count me in the group that is intrigued to see what tweaks are made.

He did to it in 2007 and it did lead to Blue Planet's internet presence. He also did it in 2012 after he was very disappointed with how the season ended and made comments afterwards. He seems to do it roughly every 5 years, and he has also talked about evaluating in 5 year segments (though he said last season was the start of another 5 year segments in one of his press conferences). I'm not sure how long he has had the 5 year segment plan for but he has alluded to it over the last decade or so.

Troublemaker
07-05-2017, 07:34 AM
Haven't listened to it yet, but the second episode featuring Tyus and Javin (https://soundcloud.com/user-863344822) was uploaded five days ago.

Also, two days ago, Duke MBB twitter put out a 12-second clip of the 6 freshmen walking around campus (https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/882029193726500869). Nice to see that they're all here in early July.

Billy Dat
07-05-2017, 03:29 PM
Haven't listened to it yet, but the second episode featuring Tyus and Javin (https://soundcloud.com/user-863344822) was uploaded five days ago.

Also, two days ago, Duke MBB twitter put out a 12-second clip of the 6 freshmen walking around campus (https://twitter.com/i/videos/tweet/882029193726500869). Nice to see that they're all here in early July.

It's pretty good. Tyus gets most of the time and talks about his time at Duke and his NBA experience to date. The Javin piece is pretty short, but it's interesting to find out that he grew up on a farm and, when he's there, has to put in his share of farm work which he says is good incentive to stay at Duke during the summer. He also talks about focusing on his ball handling and expanding his range out to 3 point territory.

Troublemaker
07-05-2017, 07:11 PM
It's pretty good. Tyus gets most of the time and talks about his time at Duke and his NBA experience to date. The Javin piece is pretty short, but it's interesting to find out that he grew up on a farm and, when he's there, has to put in his share of farm work which he says is good incentive to stay at Duke during the summer. He also talks about focusing on his ball handling and expanding his range out to 3 point territory.

Let's hope he's having success with this. If Javin can hit threes, he might start.

NSDukeFan
07-05-2017, 08:42 PM

Let's hope he's having success with this. If Javin can hit threes, he might start.

I hope he's working on and thinking about his defensive skills as well. That's one way he could make a big difference on this and future Duke teams.

Troublemaker
07-06-2017, 07:21 PM
Grant Hill was an excellent guest. The pod started out good enough and kept improving throughout and was a joy to listen to by the end of Grant's segment. Great stories and insights.

Jack White was the player guest at the end. He wants to be a lockdown defender and hit the open three.

DukieTiger
07-06-2017, 07:55 PM
Grant with a DBR-approved shot at Bilas and Jay Will in there.

Troublemaker
07-06-2017, 08:07 PM
Grant with a DBR-approved shot at Bilas and Jay Will in there.

Haha, possibly, although he didn't name either outright. (And if your interpretation is correct, I suspect Grant was only thinking about Bilas.)

DukieTiger
07-06-2017, 08:33 PM
Haha, possibly, although he didn't name either outright. (And if your interpretation is correct, I suspect Grant was only thinking about Bilas.)

True - I don't know that it was his intention, but am very sympathetic to DBR'ers who might interpret it that way. :)

In seriousness, I found his candor about the challenges of commentating for a game involving his alma mater to be quite enjoyable and refreshing. Expect nothing less from the great Mr. Hill!

Billy Dat
08-31-2017, 10:34 AM
There have been a lot of new episodes since this thread was last updated:

-7/13, Kennard and Trent Jr.
-8/2 - Grayson
-8/9 - MPIII
-8/17 - Chris Collins
-8/24 - Jayson Tatum and Nate James
Today - Wendell Carter and Justin Robinson

I have listened to today's episode yet, but I wanted to call out the Nate James interview. For a guy who is beloved on these boards, and a fixture with the program for so long, I feel like we don't hear from him very often. His interview is excellent, and he talks a ton about the many different countries where he played professionally. He also reports that his role on the staff, aside from the usual recruiting/game prep stuff, is to be the liaison to the strength and conditioning staff to make sure everything is cutting edge.

Furniture
09-05-2017, 09:51 PM
Excellent interviews of Wendell and JRob in the latest Pod!! Well done John!!
Well worth the listen!!

weezie
09-06-2017, 09:46 AM
...Jack White was the player guest at the end. He wants to be a lockdown defender and hit the open three.

Plus run the Third Man option...

juise
10-11-2017, 03:10 AM
In the last episode I have in my feed (first week of Sept) with Bolden, Jon says there will be one more episode coming the following week. Did anyone hear what happened to the last episode? I was hoping there would be a clue on twitter, but didn't see one. Just curious.