PDA

View Full Version : The New Voice of the Blue Devils

Tripping William
06-12-2017, 10:20 AM
Bob Harris's successor will be David Shumate (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211624496). Effective July 1st.

devildeac
06-12-2017, 10:26 AM
Bob Harris's successor will be David Shumate (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211624496). Effective July 1st.

I just read his bio. Thanks for the link. He looks like a great choice.

aimo
06-12-2017, 10:28 AM
BIG shoes to fill.

plimnko
06-12-2017, 01:26 PM
is it just me or does he look a bit like cherokee parks......minus the tattoos ?

duke2x
06-12-2017, 02:07 PM
BIG shoes to fill.

When you replace a local icon for that long, you really have to forge your own trail while connecting with your audience. Leaving personal opinions aside, there is no Vin Scully, Harry Caray, etc. part 2. I do wish him good luck.

DukeFanSince1990
06-12-2017, 02:22 PM
Just heard him interviewed on the Dave Glenn show. Sounds like like he is very appreciative of the opportunity. Has a good voice too. He has the ability to speak fast yet very clear. He ended with a go Duke!

I think he will do fine.

moonpie23
06-12-2017, 02:55 PM
slipping on bob harris's shoes.....no small feet...

congrats, dave......welcome to the party!!!

JasonEvans
06-12-2017, 03:46 PM
is it just me or does he look a bit like cherokee parks...minus the tattoos ?

http://image.cdnllnwnl.xosnetwork.com/pics33/400/ON/ONTJGFKVENZJJHR.20170609155805.jpg http://www.solobasket.com/sites/default/files/styles/solobasket_detail_header_normal/public/34447_0.png?itok=nIMtmnMc

Yup, I see it too.

Highlander
06-12-2017, 04:00 PM
Man - I always told my wife that this would be my dream job - getting the opportunity to travel, watch, and comment live on every Duke game, and be paid for it! But unfortunately I didn't get a call. Not that I have any experience whatsoever in radio or applied. But a guy can dream!

Best of luck to you David Shumate - I am supremely jealous!

CrazyNotCrazie
06-12-2017, 04:08 PM
Just heard him interviewed on the Dave Glenn show. Sounds like like he is very appreciative of the opportunity. Has a good voice too. He has the ability to speak fast yet very clear. He ended with a go Duke!

I think he will do fine.

Does he have any southern accent? From his bio, it looks like he is from NC and went to school at App State. I'm a born and bred northerner but I was hoping that the replacement would have some accent so hopefully that is the case.

PDDuke85
06-12-2017, 04:54 PM
Man - I always told my wife that this would be my dream job - getting the opportunity to travel, watch, and comment live on every Duke game, and be paid for it! But unfortunately I didn't get a call. Not that I have any experience whatsoever in radio or applied. But a guy can dream!

Best of luck to you David Shumate - I am supremely jealous!

How about color analyst?

Adam Rowe‏ @AdamRoweTDD ·

Adam Rowe Retweeted Jeff Gravley

Will need a new football analyst as well (Wes Chesson retiring in addition to @bluedevilsvoice).

DU82
06-12-2017, 06:30 PM
How about color analyst?

Adam Rowe‏ @AdamRoweTDD ·

Adam Rowe Retweeted Jeff Gravley

Will need a new football analyst as well (Wes Chesson retiring in addition to @bluedevilsvoice).

Jut saw that on Jeff's WRAL 6PM report. He also indicated that he thought Dave Harding would be Wes's replacement.

WakeDevil
06-12-2017, 08:55 PM
Now if we could get rid of the worst "analyst" I have ever heard.

Native
06-13-2017, 08:29 AM
...Dave Harding would be Wes's replacement.

This would be an outstanding choice, IMO.

miramar
06-13-2017, 08:57 AM
He seems to have a good voice and I'm sure he's very knowledgeable, but it wouldn't hurt to dial it back a bit on the made threes. He just needs to listen to some of Bob Harris's old tapes and then find a happy medium.

No question that he will do great, particularly with the North Carolina background.

DukeFanSince1990
06-13-2017, 11:30 AM
Does he have any southern accent? From his bio, it looks like he is from NC and went to school at App State. I'm a born and bred northerner but I was hoping that the replacement would have some accent so hopefully that is the case.

Its there a tad, but he has been trained in communication so its not going to be but so pronounced.

budwom
06-13-2017, 02:32 PM
I just hope he can differentiate between a Duke touchdown and an opponent making an interception in the end zone, for example.

Reilly
06-13-2017, 04:12 PM
I just hope he can differentiate between a Duke touchdown and an opponent making an interception in the end zone, for example.

Or when the opponent kicks a FG that is "blocked ... (pause) ... and good"?

God bless Bob -- he wanted such good things to happen for Duke when Duke (FB) did precious little to make good things happen that there was a wide gulf between hope and reality, and Bob too often gave voice to hope.

Presumably the new guy will not want Duke to win as desperately (since he's new) and Duke won't be so desperate for a win, either, so we'll arrive at a nice, happy medium based somewhat in reality and observable fact.