PDA

View Full Version : 2017 DBR Mock Draft - sign up here!!

JasonEvans
06-06-2017, 01:17 PM
Yes, it is that time again. The annual DBR Mock Draft. We've been doing this for well over 10 years now, so you should all know how it works, but just in case you don't...

We will sign up to GM a team. The method for singing up is to post in this thread with the team you want. Whoever claims a team first, gets that team. You can only sign up for one team though we may allow folks to GM a second team if we run short of GMs.

THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB OF THE GM IS TO MAKE TIMELY PICKS!! In fact, this is the only job of the GM. When it is your turn, you make a pick and explain your rationale. There are no trades allowed. The NBA's draft order today is the order we will use.

Very important -- Do not make us wait many hours for you to make your pick. Every picker will be on the clock. If you fail to make your pick in time, I will draft for you based on the best available player on the NBADraft.net and DraftExpress mock draft boards. Here is how the clock will work.

Mon-Fri between 8am and 8pm ET, the clock is 2 hours. Make a pick in 2 hours or forfeit your pick to me (or some other designated picker).
Sat and Sun, the clock is 5 hours between 8am and 8pm ET (to allow for people who have activities away from the computer on weekends).
Please note -- you are allowed to make picks before your time is up and you are allowed to make picks late at night even though the clock is suspended. Also, if you are worried you will not be available and can see your pick is coming up, PM some possible picks to me and I can post it for you.

Any further questions? Ok, here is the order. Start signing up right away. As soon as we have GMs for every team, we will get things started.

Round 1

Boston - flyingdutchdevil
LA Lakers - Troublemaker
Philadelphia - Gooch
Phoenix - pfrduke
Sacramento - gocanes0506
Orlando - NashvilleDevil
Minnesota - drummerdevil
New York - Ichabod Drain
Dallas - brevity
Sacramento - gocanes0506
Charlotte - mattman91
Detroit - BD80
Denver NSDukeFan
Miami - Newton 14
Portland - Henderson
Chicago - atoomer0881
Milwaukee - kAzE
Indiana - Edouble
Atlanta - Jason Evans
Portland - Henderson
Oklahoma Cty
Brooklyn - Bob Green
Toronto - Nrrrrvous
Utah - Furniture
Orlando - NashvilleDevil
Portland - Henderson
Brooklyn - Bob Green
LA Lakers - Troublemaker
San Antonio - JNort
Utah - Furniture

Round 2

Atlanta - Jason Evans
Phoenix - pfrduke
Orlando - NashvilleDevil
Sacramento - gocanes0506
Orlando - NashvilleDevil
Philadelphia - Gooch
Chicago - atoomer0881
Philadelphia - Gooch
New Orleans - awhom111
Charlotte - mattman91
Utah - Furniture
Houston
New York - Ichabod Drain
Houston
Philadelphia - Gooch
Indiana - Edouble
Milwaukee - kAzE
Denver - NSDukeFan
Philadelphia - Gooch
Denver - NSDukeFan
Washington - jjredickrules
Phoenix - pfrduke
Utah - Furniture
Brooklyn - Bob Green
New York - Ichabod Drain
San Antonio - JNort
Atlanta - Jason Evans

-Jason "cry havoc and let slip the dogs of war!" Evans

JasonEvans
06-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Ummmm... something strange happened. Just a second. I'll fix it.

gocanes0506
06-06-2017, 01:20 PM
I don't have an affiliation to a team so Ill do Sacramento. Have done Houston and another team before.

Troublemaker
06-06-2017, 01:26 PM
Lakers for me, gracias. Want to play around with their two first-rounders, one at the top and one at the bottom.

Gooch
06-06-2017, 01:29 PM
Trust the process....

kAzE
06-06-2017, 01:32 PM
I'll do the Bucks again.

mattman91
06-06-2017, 01:32 PM
Hornets please

JasonEvans
06-06-2017, 01:33 PM
Trust the process...

4 second round picks... you are going to be a busy man late in the Mock Draft.

pfrduke
06-06-2017, 01:38 PM
Phoenix

flyingdutchdevil
06-06-2017, 01:42 PM
thanks

NashvilleDevil
06-06-2017, 01:44 PM
Orlando

Henderson
06-06-2017, 01:45 PM
I'll take the Portland Trailblazers.

JNort
06-06-2017, 01:51 PM
Spurs for me then

-jk
06-06-2017, 02:26 PM
I hear drummerdevil wants MN.

-jk

BD80
06-06-2017, 02:31 PM
I'll take Detroit ...

and we're open for trades!!!!

NSDukeFan
06-06-2017, 02:39 PM
I would like Denver

Ichabod Drain
06-06-2017, 02:54 PM
I'll take New York

Furniture
06-06-2017, 03:10 PM
Utah...

Bob Green
06-06-2017, 03:13 PM
I'll take Brooklyn.

brevity
06-06-2017, 03:34 PM
Dallas, please.

atoomer0881
06-06-2017, 03:39 PM
I'll take Chicago please.

JasonEvans
06-06-2017, 03:59 PM
I hear drummerdevil wants MN.

This is not an official signup. You cannot sign up by proxy. If Drummerdevil wants a team, he/she needs to post in this thread.

However, out of deference to -jk, I will not allow anyone else to take Minnesota until tomorrow morning. Drummerdevil has first dibs on them until 9am tomorrow. If he/she has not claimed them by then, Minnesota will be open to anyone else.

--Jason "I need everyone to post in this thread to be sure I can PM them if they are on the clock and are not making a timely pick" Evans

JasonEvans
06-06-2017, 04:07 PM
Wow! We are moving fast. Unless I missed something, here are all the remaining teams to be claimed.

Miami
Indiana
Toronto
New Orleans
Houston
Washington

-Jason "we may get the draft started tomorrow!" Evans

jjredickrules
06-06-2017, 06:10 PM
Wow! We are moving fast. Unless I missed something, here are all the remaining teams to be claimed.

Miami
Indiana
Toronto
New Orleans
Houston
Washington

Can I get my hometown wizards please? I may never get the chance again as DC teams all love trading away draft picks -_-

Newton_14
06-06-2017, 09:30 PM
I'll take Miami please.

drummerdevil
06-06-2017, 09:47 PM
This is not an official signup. You cannot sign up by proxy. If Drummerdevil wants a team, he/she needs to post in this thread.

However, out of deference to -jk, I will not allow anyone else to take Minnesota until tomorrow morning. Drummerdevil has first dibs on them until 9am tomorrow. If he/she has not claimed them by then, Minnesota will be open to anyone else.

--Jason "I need everyone to post in this thread to be sure I can PM them if they are on the clock and are not making a timely pick" Evans

My apologies. -jk was just trying to help me. I would like Minnesota.

Thanks!
-DrummerDevil

Nrrrrvous
06-06-2017, 10:03 PM
I'll take Toronto at 23, please...

gocanes0506
06-06-2017, 10:20 PM
Any big time nba fans want to pick for Cleveland this year?

Edouble
06-07-2017, 12:21 AM

Miami
Indiana
Toronto
New Orleans
Houston
Washington

I'm good for Indiana.

awhom111
06-07-2017, 12:37 AM
Continuing my history of second round picks, I will take New Orleans.

I will also tabulate results and compare to the actual draft again.

Indoor66
06-07-2017, 08:00 AM
I'll take Miami please.

Pick carefully; YOU WILL be watched closely. 👿👹😡😎

JasonEvans
06-07-2017, 09:48 AM
So, here is where we stand... we still need Houston and OKC (I overlooked them last time). Gotta be someone out there who wants to draft a teammate for Harden and Westbrook! You either get a first rounder in the range where Kennard and Giles may be available or you get 2 second rounders... tempting!

Round 1

LA Lakers - Troublemaker
Philadelphia - Gooch
Phoenix - pfrduke
Sacramento - gocanes0506
Orlando - NashvilleDevil
Minnesota - drummerdevil
New York - Ichabod Drain
Dallas - brevity
Sacramento - gocanes0506
Charlotte - mattman91
Detroit - BD80
Denver NSDukeFan
Miami - Newton 14
Portland - Henderson
Chicago - atoomer0881
Milwaukee - kAzE
Indiana - Edouble
Atlanta - Jason Evans
Portland - Henderson
Oklahoma Cty - Dev11
Brooklyn - Bob Green
Toronto - Nrrrrvous
Utah - Furniture
Orlando - NashvilleDevil
Portland - Henderson
Brooklyn - Bob Green
LA Lakers - Troublemaker
San Antonio - JNort
Utah - Furniture

Round 2

Atlanta - Jason Evans
Phoenix - pfrduke
Orlando - NashvilleDevil
Sacramento - gocanes0506
Orlando - NashvilleDevil
Philadelphia - Gooch
Chicago - atoomer0881
Philadelphia - Gooch
New Orleans - awhom111
Charlotte - mattman91
Utah - Furniture
Houston - duketaylor
New York - Ichabod Drain
Houston - duketaylor
Philadelphia - Gooch
Indiana - Edouble
Milwaukee - kAzE
Denver - NSDukeFan
Philadelphia - Gooch
Denver - NSDukeFan
Washington - jjredickrules
Phoenix - pfrduke
Utah - Furniture
Brooklyn - Bob Green
New York - Ichabod Drain
San Antonio - JNort
Atlanta - Jason Evans

Troublemaker
06-07-2017, 10:26 AM
So, here is where we stand... we still need Houston and OKC (I overlooked them last time). Gotta be someone out there who wants to draft a teammate for Harden and Westbrook! You either get a first rounder in the range where Kennard and Giles may be available or you get 2 second rounders... tempting!

Hmmm, it seems likely we'll start the mock draft today. Since I'm the #2 pick and might not be checking in too much today, here is my draft board for that pick: (1) Fultz, (2) Ball. (Sorry for being boring.) Obviously when I get a chance, I'll do a writeup.

flyingdutchdevil
06-07-2017, 10:53 AM
Hmmm, it seems likely we'll start the mock draft today. Since I'm the #2 pick and might not be checking in too much today, here is my draft board for that pick: (1) Fultz, (2) Ball. (Sorry for being boring.) Obviously when I get a chance, I'll do a writeup.

Guess you're taking Fultz, cuz I'm taking Matt Jones baby! :D

Jason - let me know when we can get this rodeo started. Will have a write-up and my pick an hour or so after you give the green light.

JasonEvans
06-07-2017, 11:29 AM
Guess you're taking Fultz, cuz I'm taking Matt Jones baby! :D

Jason - let me know when we can get this rodeo started. Will have a write-up and my pick an hour or so after you give the green light.

We are still waiting to find a GM for OKC and Houston. If we do not have one for those two teams by 3pm today, we will start the draft anyway.

-Jason "so, FDD will be on the clock starting at 3pm. I will put up a separate thread for all picks." Evans

kAzE
06-07-2017, 11:30 AM
We are still waiting to find a GM for OKC and Houston. If we do not have one for those two teams by 3pm today, we will start the draft anyway.

-Jason "so, FDD will be on the clock starting at 3pm. I will put up a separate thread for all picks." Evans

I'd be willing to double as OKC's GM if nobody else claims it by the 21st pick.

Dev11
06-07-2017, 11:50 AM
I will pick for OKC. Gotta figure out how to beat the friggin' Warriors next year.

duketaylor
06-07-2017, 12:01 PM
If Houston's still open I'll play. No pick til 2nd round, yes?

kAzE
06-07-2017, 12:21 PM
So, now that every team is claimed, we can start anytime now, right?

drummerdevil
06-07-2017, 12:37 PM
I would hope so! Although I hope it doesn't go too fast as I won't be able to pick at 7 until 3:30 or so.

kAzE
06-07-2017, 02:38 PM
And with the #1 pick in the 2017 NBA draft, the Celtics select...wait...let's think this through first.

Right now, the Celtics are considering 4 players:

Markelle Fultz: Highest ceiling in the draft. Can play the 1 or the 2. Great length, great athleticism. Leadership likely an issue, but that's more attributed to poor coaching than the player.
Lonzo Ball: Best passer in the draft. He makes everyone better. Okay shot, but huge question marks about his NBA 3pt shooting as he shot 67% from the line. Also plays horrific defense. Family is a nightmare.
Josh Jackson: Best defender in the draft. Better offensive player than advertised. Like Wiggins, but 3pt shot is a question mark. Huge maturity issues.
Jayson Tatum: Lowest floor in the draft. Pretty much guaranteed to be a 20ppg player. But questions remain about other facets of the game (rebounding, defense, intangibles). Will he be Rudy Gay or Paul Pierce?

The Celts are in an interesting position. They made it to the Eastern Conference Finals. They have the best young coach in the business. They have some All-Stars and really good role players. They believe in one another. They are excellent defensively.

The question for the Celts isn't, "how do we get better?" It's "how do we compete with the Cavs and the Warriors?" Everyone on the Celts with the exception of Avery Bradley is expendable through trades. Ideally, we'd like to keep Horford, Jaylen Brown, Marcus Smart, Jae Crowder, Terry Rozier, and Amir Johnson (as a back-up PF). We would love to keep Isaiah Thomas as a Super 6th man, but he's going to demand a max salary (and someone will pay). Olynyk, Green, Young, Jerebko, and Tyler Zeller are all expendable.

So what does that leave us? A core of Bradley, Horford, Brown, Smart, Crowder, Rozier, and Johnson is small and defensively amazing. What's really missing is a dynamic scorer in the backcourt and a scoring PF. The problem with the latter is that he doesn't exist as a top 5 player in the draft (Jonathan Isaac is way too raw and too risky for a #1 pick). So ideally, we'd love a dynamic scorer on the wing or the backcourt. Jackson is great for D, but not the best for O. Jayson Tatum is perfect, but is he really a #1 pick? Seems like we could trade down, get additional assets, and still draft Tatum (thanks DBR for not allowing that...;)). Ball will make everyone better, but chemistry, scoring, and defense are all massive question marks.

For the #1 pick, there really is one obvious answer. A backcourt of Bradley, Smart, Rozier, and Fultz is arguably the best defensive backcourt in the country with incredible scoring potential (Bradley is underrated, Smart is overrated, Rozier is wild, and Fultz can become a 20+ ppg scorer). Not to mention, he's a good kid in need of good coaching, and Stevens is giving you that coaching.

So, with the #1 pick in the draft, the Boston Celtics select Markelle Fultz.

psst, FDD, use the other thread :p