PDA

View Full Version : Four Football Game Times Set

Bob Green
05-31-2017, 04:07 PM
http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211613302&DB_OEM_ID=4200

September 2: NCCU - 6 pm - ESPN3

September 9: Northwestern - 12 pm - ESPNU

September 16: Baylor - 12:30 pm - RSN

September 29: Miami - 7 pm - ESPN

Pghdukie
05-31-2017, 05:19 PM
Mr. Green, I will continue looking for your knowledgeable posts throughout the football season. Thanks in advance and keep up the great work.

CDu
05-31-2017, 05:59 PM
Uggh! Noon games in the early-September heat!

jimsumner
05-31-2017, 06:52 PM

Maybe we'll get lucky and have another hurricane. That seems to cool things off.

Indoor66
05-31-2017, 07:25 PM
Maybe we'll get lucky and have another hurricane. That seems to cool things off.

Please... NO hurricanes. They might hit here in South Florida. 😎

CameronBornAndBred
05-31-2017, 08:21 PM
Please... NO hurricanes. They might hit here in South Florida. ��
Kind of put a damper on the tailgate, too. (I am still wringing out my socks.)

While the noon games will be dangerously hot in that bowl, the Miami night game on ESPN is pretty sweet.

devildeac
05-31-2017, 08:29 PM

Especially the attendance. :rolleyes:

And, yes, we did attend the Duke-Army game last year, despite warnings from WRAL, The Weather Channel and our tent-mates/visitors, all 25-30 of us, the only occupied tent on Devil's Alley that day:).

uh_no
05-31-2017, 08:46 PM
if on 9/16 at 12:30 EST, I'm not in a festzelt in theresienwiese, something will have gone very wrong.

go duke!

jv001
05-31-2017, 09:19 PM

Well, we will get the Hurricanes on September 29. :cool: We still owe them one and this would be a good time to lay it one them. GoDuke!

budwom
06-01-2017, 08:14 AM

We don't matter. TV matters. Just because September night games were enjoyable (and appropriate) years ago doesn't mean they can be granted now.
Costco level consumption of sunscreen looms.
Question: the rescue squad ambulance (and I among others) used to cower in the shade at halftime under the nice stand of trees on the East side, now devoured in the name of
progress. Where will they park now? I'm moving to the West side after 30+ years on the East side, primarily because some of those September noon games have become
ludicrously unbearable. And they wonder why families don't want to plunk down a bunch of money for tickets, parking,etc, opting for watching the game on TV at home.

ipatent
06-01-2017, 09:04 AM
Two tough games early, and Northwestern has been a tough nut to crack recently as well. Beating Northwestern is critical.

budwom
06-01-2017, 10:13 AM
Two tough games early, and Northwestern has been a tough nut to crack recently as well. Beating Northwestern is critical.

Now that we have an experienced Jones and hopefully better WRs and special teams, we should have a good shot at this. Not easy, though.

Avvocato
06-01-2017, 11:31 AM

I agree. I think that Northwestern game is one of, if not the most, important game of the season (... until the third game). In all seriousness, I think it is important to one, finally beat Northwestern, and two, be 2-0 heading into Baylor. I don't know what to expect from Baylor. They could be a mess as they adapt to a new coach, or still be very explosive. I think beating Northwestern takes some pressure off going into Baylor, UNC and Miami, among others, and helps build confidence. Naturally, we have to take care of business against NC Central, but then let's finally take care of some business against Northwestern. It's time.

arnie
06-01-2017, 11:59 AM
We don't matter. TV matters. Just because September night games were enjoyable (and appropriate) years ago doesn't mean they can be granted now.
Question: the rescue squad ambulance (and I among others) used to cower in the shade at halftime under the nice stand of trees on the East side, now devoured in the name of
progress. Where will they park now? I'm moving to the West side after 30+ years on the East side, primarily because some of those September noon games have become
ludicrously unbearable. And they wonder why families don't want to plunk down a bunch of money for tickets, parking,etc, opting for watching the game on TV at home.

Unfortunately, those 2 afternoon games with no local following of the opponent guarantee true attendance in 15-20k range. Nighttime Miami game should be 30k plus. ESPN can kill a game day experience.

CDu
06-01-2017, 01:29 PM

Yeah, my 3-year-old son makes it so that we can't attend those noon games as a family. I'm more than willing to suffer through that heat (well, maybe I should just say "willing"). But I can't subject my kid to that. Oh well. Will enjoy going the first half of the Miami game and watching the second half from home after I put my kid to bed.

Indoor66
06-01-2017, 01:31 PM
Yeah, my 3-year-old son makes it so that we can't attend those noon games as a family. I'm more than willing to suffer through that heat (well, maybe I should just say "willing"). But I can't subject my kid to that. Oh well. Will enjoy going the first half of the Miami game and watching the second half from home after I put my kid to bed.

You have to tell the young man to grow up! 😂😎

Scorp4me
06-01-2017, 07:50 PM

And yet they complain about attendance. You can't take money from tv, get a cheaper experience sitting at home in front of the tv, make the gameday experience miserable due to start times because of tv...and then bemoan that people don't come to the games any more. I wish there was a better compromise.

Newton_14
06-01-2017, 08:13 PM
And yet they complain about attendance. You can't take money from tv, get a cheaper experience sitting at home in front of the tv, make the gameday experience miserable due to start times because of tv...and then bemoan that people "still" don't come to the games. I wish there was a better compromise.

There. Fixed it for you.

September games should all be night time games imo. The sun bearing down on the East Side is just brutal. I darn near died at that Alabama game, and got fried at the Wake game last season thanks to someone's sunscreen being older than me and not effective. I won't mention any names but his initials are "Devildeac" :mad:

Either way, our guys have to suck it up and win the September games this season. We need to win all of the "winnable" games and steal one or two if possible of the underdog games. I am very much looking forward to the Soph version of Daniel Jones though, and hopefully an improved defense. I am also anxious to see Bracey hit the gridiron... Can't wait for it to start.

devildeac
06-01-2017, 08:27 PM
There. Fixed it for you.

September games should all be night time games imo. The sun bearing down on the East Side is just brutal. I darn near died at that Alabama game, and got fried at the Wake game last season thanks to someone's sunscreen being older than me and not effective. I won't mention any names but his initials are "Devildeac" :mad:

Either way, our guys have to suck it up and win the September games this season. We need to win all of the "winnable" games and steal one or two if possible of the underdog games. I am very much looking forward to the Soph version of Daniel Jones though, and hopefully an improved defense. I am also anxious to see Bracey hit the gridiron... Can't wait for it to start.

Hey, hey, now, the date on the faded bottle/label may have been 1900-something but I refill that bottle every year, almost always with SPF 30 or higher.

sorry:o

Newton_14
06-01-2017, 08:45 PM
Hey, hey, now, the date on the faded bottle/label may have been 1900-something but I refill that bottle every year, almost always with SPF 30 or higher.

So you bought it out of the Sears Catalog in 1958? :) Shoulda been fine. :)

It was all good though...

uh_no
06-01-2017, 08:51 PM

Well I know where to go if I need a fix of coppertone 21 year single malt....

-jk
06-01-2017, 09:47 PM
Well I know where to go if I need a fix of coppertone 21 year single malt...

Ick...

-jk

devildeac
06-01-2017, 10:25 PM
So you bought it out of the Sears Catalog in 1958? :) Shoulda been fine. :)

It was all good though...

Something like that. I'm sure it wasn't as old as I am. :o

devildeac
06-01-2017, 10:27 PM
Well I know where to go if I need a fix of coppertone 21 year single malt...

Not a single malt. I told Newton_14 it was "blended." :rolleyes:

Ymm, Coppertone:o .

Bob Green
06-02-2017, 04:32 AM
I am also anxious to see Bracey hit the gridiron... Can't wait for it to start.

This year's group of redshirt freshmen contains multiple guys who were four star recruits but didn't see the field as true freshmen. Using ESPN's rankings (http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/school/_/id/150/class/2016):

WR Bracey, RB Brown, TE Birmingham, OT Kraeling, OG Miller

It is going to nice to see these guys in action.

Avvocato
06-02-2017, 06:42 AM
As we wait for preseason to begin, here are a few articles on the team to enjoy.

This one previews the team a bit and calls Duke an ACC sleeper heading into 2017.

http://m.herosports.com/news/duke-football-biggest-acc-sleeper-2017-season-daniel-jones-

Here's a nice one on McDuffie:

http://www.gwinnettdailypost.com/sports/college/hammock-shiloh-grad-mcduffie-back-to-beast-mode-for-duke/article_2bc1e658-aa93-52ba-a513-e5178556b673.html

And here's one on Duke's 2018 recruiting class so far:

https://accsports.com/acc-news/headline-news/duke-football-recruiting-rankings/

wsb3
06-06-2017, 02:37 PM
https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2017/06/06/college-football-coaches-job-security-dabo-swinney-nick-saban-urban-meyer/102529180/

I saw this headline & thought Coach Cut should be on this list. He is.

FadedTackyShirt
06-23-2017, 06:48 PM
Upfront apology for a slight thread hijack, but...

How difficult will it be to buy decent seats through Duke for the Florida State game? No Iron Dukes, but alums who scalp for a couple of hoops games a year. Finally wore the chuckleheads down into going to at least one home football game per year.

DU82
06-23-2017, 08:53 PM

How difficult will it be to buy decent seats through Duke for the Florida State game? No Iron Dukes, but alums who scalp for a couple of hoops games a year. Finally wore the chuckleheads down into going to at least one home football game per year.

That game does not show up on the goduke.com ticket online site right now. I believe you must call the ticket office/Iron Dukes to order. Similar to how the Alabama game was handled a few years back. So...if you want tickets, join the Iron Dukes.

Newton_14
06-23-2017, 10:22 PM
That game does not show up on the goduke.com ticket online site right now. I believe you must call the ticket office/Iron Dukes to order. Similar to how the Alabama game was handled a few years back. So...if you want tickets, join the Iron Dukes.

Agree. Even with the minimum ID yearly fee, you will be better off in my opinion going that route. I believe they are still offering $99 Season Tickets for a Single Seat in GA Section for example.

I say it all the time, especially for basketball it is a huge benefit to be an Iron Duke.

budwom
06-24-2017, 07:48 AM

If you ask around on various Duke boards, I think you'll have the opportunity to buy all kinds of good tickets. FSU has been to Durham before, and they simply don't buy out the tickets like Alabamans did....very good seats on the East side will be readily available, though beware of the sun (not generally awful in October). Season ticket holders should get their ticket books in August, and you should have plenty of time to ask around for good seats.

FadedTackyShirt
06-25-2017, 03:30 PM
Thanks all for feedback.

Any idea when the kickoff time for the FSU game will be announced? Intramural debate about where to stay: daytime KO (Downtown Durham) vs late KO (Washington Duke or JB Duke).

sagegrouse
06-25-2017, 03:35 PM
Thanks all for feedback.

Any idea when the kickoff time for the FSU game will be announced? Intramural debate about where to stay: daytime KO (Downtown Durham) vs late KO (Washington Duke or JB Duke).

But don't you know -- sniff, sniff -- that "faded tacky shirts" are not allowed at the Wash Duke or JB Duke?

Bob Green
06-25-2017, 03:44 PM
Thanks all for feedback.

Any idea when the kickoff time for the FSU game will be announced?

ACC announces some game times 12 days in advance while other games are not announced until six days in advance as ESPN finalizes their TV schedule. For the FSU game on October 14, the earliest the game time will be announced is Monday October 2.

FadedTackyShirt
06-25-2017, 04:00 PM
But don't you know -- sniff, sniff -- that "faded tacky shirts" are not allowed at the Wash Duke or JB Duke?

Au contraire, the shirts were always tacky, but only became faded because we've been wearing them at the Thomas Center, WD, CIS, WW, JB Duke, and various sketchy bars on 3 continents for 20+ years. Even along an barely paved road called Franklin Street, populated by uncivilized pastel primitives.

I was a little jealous since one guy's shirt was more faded than mine, so I washed mine for 52 weeks straight. Now have the most faded shirt by far, but seriously mangled the collar in the process.

We nearly Pete Bested one of the fab four for the unpardonable/unconscionable sin of "losing" his shirt a decade ago. Even one of his kids bagged on him and said he needed to find a replacement on eBay.

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-25-2017, 08:53 PM
Thanks all for feedback.

Many hotels are booking up quickly for the dates of home games. When there is overlap with home games in CH, it may be even harder to get a room wherever you want to be. If you choose a flexible rate rather than one that can't be modified, you could make reservations now and make changes once the kickoff time is announced about 12 days out. The exception would occur with a 6 day hold.... but you'd still have time to cancel or modify.

OldPhiKap
06-25-2017, 08:57 PM
Just splurge for two days at the Washington Duke. I'll meet you in the bar for a beverage.

FadedTackyShirt
06-25-2017, 10:07 PM
Many hotels are booking up quickly for the dates of home games. When there is overlap with home games in CH, it may be even harder to get a room wherever you want to be. If you choose a flexible rate rather than one that can't be modified, you could make reservations now and make changes once the kickoff time is announced about 12 days out. The exception would occur with a 6 day hold... but you'd still have time to cancel or modify.

'Hoos are playing the Holes in CH that weekend. Do decent spots in Durham require two night stays on football weekends?

Tentative plan was to stay in CLT on Friday night to make the most high strung member of the crew even more uptight than usual by getting sloppy drunk at his country club. Who knew the same Lake Norman gated community where they filmed the dinner grace scene in Ricky Bobby was so snooty?!? "I'm gonna come at you like a spider monkey"!

Devil in the Blue Dress
06-25-2017, 10:11 PM
'Hoos are playing the Holes in CH that weekend. Do decent spots in Durham require two night stays on football weekends?

Tentative plan was to stay in CLT on Friday night to make the most high strung member of the crew even more uptight than usual by getting sloppy drunk at his country club. Who knew the same Lake Norman gated community where they filmed the dinner grace scene in Ricky Bobby was so snooty?!? "I'm gonna come at you like a spider monkey"!

Some hotels do. The best way to find out is to check their availability.

FadedTackyShirt
06-25-2017, 10:39 PM
Just splurge for two days at the Washington Duke. I'll meet you in the bar for a beverage.

As long as they don't run out of Bloody Marys there, we'll make a token appearance. One of the clowns sent out a recent weepy group text about being at the Bull Durham bar and I was stunned that the WD bar had a proper name and one of my friends actually knew what it was...

OldPhiKap
06-25-2017, 10:49 PM
As long as they don't run out of Bloody Marys there, we'll make a token appearance. One of the clowns sent out a recent weepy group text about being at the Bull Durham bar and I was stunned that the WD bar had a proper name and one of my friends actually knew what it was...

That's news to me. But I travel with a cooler of Absout, V8 (spicy), single malt and IPA's. We can sit in the parking lot.

And if you have not met some of the other posters that congregate on the Devil's Walk, it's worth the trip.

Plus, I have plenty of friends who are or hung with my gang who are way loyal followers.

Bottom line -- come root on the Devils, the rest will work out!

CharlestonDave
06-26-2017, 01:48 AM
Does anyone know the time of the Army game as I want to take my grandson up to West Point ?

sagegrouse
06-26-2017, 02:37 AM
Army game at noon. See earlier othet threads on warnings about pre-game traffic at West Point.

FadedTackyShirt
06-27-2017, 09:37 PM
Some hotels do. The best way to find out is to check their availability.

Thanks, but apparently we're already booked into the JB Duke for Saturday night. Now just need tickets for a crew of yappy, poorly dressed, easily amused/distracted clowns.

Stoked there's a new list of best beers in CLT in the the beer thread. Uber beer crawls in CLT and Durham for the win. The crab leg thieves with the crappy exploitive song are going down.

OldPhiKap
06-27-2017, 09:54 PM
Thanks, but apparently we're already booked into the JB Duke . . . .

Do you mean the Washington Duke? Or are you sleeping on West Quad in front of the chapel?

Done both, no judgment here. Washington Duke is more comfortable though.

The Ben Duke, well -- watch for those East Campus squirrels.

FadedTackyShirt
06-27-2017, 10:19 PM
Do you mean the Washington Duke? Or are you sleeping on West Quad in front of the chapel?

Done both, no judgment here. Washington Duke is more comfortable though.

JB Duke is the replacement for the Thomas Center at Fuqua. Waaay nicer than the Thomas Center. Cursed Dennis Smith in one of their two bars after the Moo U game last season.

Last time I was in the Chapel, my sunglasses disappeared during services. I took it as a sign that K was punishing me.

devildeac
06-27-2017, 10:58 PM
JB Duke is the replacement for the Thomas Center at Fuqua. Waaay nicer than the Thomas Center. Cursed Dennis Smith in one of their two bars after the Moo U game last season.

Last time I was in the Chapel, my sunglasses disappeared during services. I took it as a sign that K was punishing me.

Went to a conference there a few months ago. Nice looking facility but I can't comment on the rooms. Very short walk to WW from there, even with a very slight left turn detour to deliver your beer to our tent and share some usually outstanding ales and culinary delights with the TrueBlue'CueCrew for 2-3 hours before kick-off ;).

Indoor66
06-28-2017, 07:48 AM
Went to a conference there a few months ago. Nice looking facility but I can't comment on the rooms. Very short walk to WW from there, even with a very slight left turn detour to deliver your beer to our tent and share some usually outstanding ales and culinary delights with the TrueBlue'CueCrew for 2-3 hours before kick-off ;).

Does that include medical services as needed - to include ever ready Nitro? :D:cool:

devildeac
06-28-2017, 07:59 AM
Does that include medical services as needed - to include ever ready Nitro? :D:cool:

Nitro tablets or a keg of fine ale "on nitro?" ;)

Indoor66
06-28-2017, 08:01 AM

A man's got to know his limitations - or needs. Whichever floats the boat at the moment....:p

OldPhiKap
06-28-2017, 08:36 AM

"Or" ?!?

And !!!

weezie
06-28-2017, 08:48 AM
IDs questionnaire sent about possible Duke tailgate @ hoo game. $100 for beers, food, hi-jinks, and game ticket lower bowl. No parking though.

Indoor66
06-28-2017, 08:58 AM
IDs questionnaire sent about possible Duke tailgate @ hoo game. $100 for beers, food, hi-jinks, and game ticket lower bowl. No parking though.

Of course no parking. Safety,Madam. 😀😎

FadedTackyShirt
06-28-2017, 09:33 AM

Thanks for the gracious (Vulcan mind meld) invitation. Solid bedside manner. I'll never get the ten years back (unjustifiably) spent in a Turkish prison for being duped into becoming a drug mule for persuasive charming strangers.

Not bringing any beers on a flying machine, but I'll look into shipping OPK and you Russian River beers. At the very least, we'll bring along our favorite beers from our Friday night CLT crawl. Or a rare slightly charred/distressed Fawn Liebowitz pot. Shoplifted snow globes from the airport are always sincere and thoughtful too.

Slightly hurt that we've never been invited back to another tailgate in Chapel Hill. I thought the design and craftsmanship on the small pox blankets was exceptional.

devildeac
06-28-2017, 10:02 AM

Hey, it's Virginia football. Do you expect to have trouble with/finding parking? :rolleyes:

I hit the delete icon. We have enough re-arranging to do so we can attend the home games.

But, then again, if the weez and duketaylor would attend, then it might well be worth the journey...
;)

devildeac
06-28-2017, 10:04 AM
"Or" ?!?

And !!!

LOL. I'm trying to be sensitive/accommodating/understanding of ol' Indoor 66's wants/needs. ;)

devildeac
06-28-2017, 10:11 AM
Thanks for the gracious (Vulcan mind meld) invitation. Solid bedside manner. I'll never get the ten years back (unjustifiably) spent in a Turkish prison for being duped into becoming a drug mule for persuasive charming strangers.

Not bringing any beers on a flying machine, but I'll look into shipping OPK and you Russian River beers. At the very least, we'll bring along our favorite beers from our Friday night CLT crawl. Or a rare slightly charred/distressed Fawn Liebowitz pot. Shoplifted snow globes from the airport are always sincere and thoughtful too.

Slightly hurt that we've never been invited back to another tailgate in Chapel Hill. I thought the design and craftsmanship on the small pox blankets was exceptional.

Damn funny stuff. If it's a night game, you could also do a Derm brewery crawl, too. It's about 1.4 miles from Fullsteam to Ponysaurus by foot/police cruiser with stops at Durty Bull and Bull City Brewery and Burger in-between for "rest/relief/rehydration" purposes :o .

Indoor66
06-28-2017, 11:25 AM
Damn funny stuff. If it's a night game, you could also do a Derm brewery crawl, too. It's about 1.4 miles from Fullsteam to Ponysaurus by foot/police cruiser with stops at Durty Bull and Bull City Brewery and Burger in-between for "rest/relief/rehydration" purposes :o .

I may have to be on hand to represent the rowdies with Derm's finest. 😫😋😎

DU82
06-28-2017, 07:18 PM

In the past, parking in the lot just off of 29 (and about a 10-15 minute walk) was free. I ordered game tickets last week at $33 each. When we did this two years ago, we found out that the official visitor's section was moved upstairs (with limited seating in the lower level). Don't know if the IDs are holding the lower seats for this promotion.

(I typically don't find any ID tailgate worth $67.)

FadedTackyShirt
06-29-2017, 09:49 AM

Thanks, I would have thought a day game would be better for a (post-game) Derm crawl. Especially after Cut and the good guys kick the crap out of the 'Noles.

OldPhiKap
06-29-2017, 09:54 AM
Thanks, I would have thought a day game would be better for a (post-game) Derm crawl. Especially after Cut and the good guys kick the crap out of the 'Noles.

I may even wear the "Eat Me" cake outfit to the game, since it worked in South Bend.

Shock the world, baby!

FadedTackyShirt
06-29-2017, 10:36 AM
I may even wear the "Eat Me" cake outfit to the game, since it worked in South Bend.

Shock the world, baby!

Was it accented with a Jackie O pillbox hat? Stanford band's salute to the potato famine pissed off the leprechauns.

A Notre Dame home football game is pretty cool. South Bend and the drive to/from Chicago, not so much. Iffn we ever go again, we'll stay in Chitown and take the train. A lot trickier for hoops.

devildeac
06-29-2017, 11:40 AM

That'd be a good plan, too, but, after 2-3 hours of tailgating and sampling safe/reasonable quantities of fine ales, I'm done sipping about 15 minutes before kick-off.

OldPhiKap
06-30-2017, 03:30 AM
Was it accented with a Jackie O pillbox hat? Stanford band's salute to the potato famine pissed off the leprechauns.

A Notre Dame home football game is pretty cool. South Bend and the drive to/from Chicago, not so much. Iffn we ever go again, we'll stay in Chitown and take the train. A lot trickier for hoops.

You obviously overlook the beauty of industrial blight, shuttered towns, and corn fields.

FadedTackyShirt
06-30-2017, 03:28 PM
You obviously overlook the beauty of industrial blight, shuttered towns, and corn fields.

My family lived outside Chicago for most of the '60s. My parents went to a game in South Bend every year and they said it was a grim drive even 50 years ago.

Lots of cool OOC road trips coming up (Army, Northwestern, 'Bama in ATL, Tulane). Illinois, Baylor, and Kansas are rural drives, but not nearly as rough as Chicago to South Bend.

FadedTackyShirt
08-01-2017, 09:45 AM

Talked to the ticket office about FSU tickets. Was told only way to get FSU tickets was via season tickets or three game mini plans and that even Iron Dukes won't be able to buy individual FSU tickets.

Didn't sound credible to me. Thought a minimal Iron Duke donation would work. Guess we'll buy a West Side mini plan and flip tickets for two games.

English
08-01-2017, 10:35 AM
Talked to the ticket office about FSU tickets. Was told only way to get FSU tickets was via season tickets or three game mini plans and that even Iron Dukes won't be able to buy individual FSU tickets.

Didn't sound credible to me. Thought a minimal Iron Duke donation would work. Guess we'll buy a West Side mini plan and flip tickets for two games.

Pardon my ignorance, but how on earth can tickets to a game in Wally Wade be this difficult to acquire, even against a strong opponent like FSU?! The Noles certainly do not travel in numbers similar to the Tide. What am I missing?

budwom
08-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Pardon my ignorance, but how on earth can tickets to a game in Wally Wade be this difficult to acquire, even against a strong opponent like FSU?! The Noles certainly do not travel in numbers similar to the Tide. What am I missing?

I could be wrong, but I think your suspicions are well justified...I believe the athletic dept is attempting to recreate the magic (except for the drubbing) of the Bama game a few years ago in which Bama fans had to buy Duke season tickets.
But as you say, it's most unlikely FSU will travel in numbers anywhere close to Bama's...I will be stunned if tickets are not plentiful at game time....if the athletic dept can coerce a bunch of people (FSU fans/Duke fans, whomever) to buy
season tickets, it's a financial win. Basically, I think they're trying to create the illusion of scarcity where it truly does not exist.

arnie
08-01-2017, 12:15 PM
I could be wrong, but I think your suspicions are well justified...I believe the athletic dept is attempting to recreate the magic (except for the drubbing) of the Bama game a few years ago in which Bama fans had to buy Duke season tickets.
But as you say, it's most unlikely FSU will travel in numbers anywhere close to Bama's...I will be stunned if tickets are not plentiful at game time...if the athletic dept can coerce a bunch of people (FSU fans/Duke fans, whomever) to buy
season tickets, it's a financial win. Basically, I think they're trying to create the illusion of scarcity where it truly does not exist.

Interesting strategy. Could backfire if we play poorly early and/or FSU doesn't start their season on fire.

budwom
08-01-2017, 12:24 PM
Interesting strategy. Could backfire if we play poorly early and/or FSU doesn't start their season on fire.

I'd love to be proved wrong, every seat filled, etc, etc...but I've spent quite a few decades in WW and I just don't see it happening for this particular game...

BigWayne
08-01-2017, 04:14 PM
I'd love to be proved wrong, every seat filled, etc, etc...but I've spent quite a few decades in WW and I just don't see it happening for this particular game...

Stubhub already has tickets for the FSU game at below face value.

From the goduke.com ticket page, you can see they are trying to use the FSU game as bait to sell more tickets.
They have a 2 and 3 game package available, but not for any set of 2 or 3 games. They are either for FSU/Baylor, or FSU/Baylor/GT. Also, only for the east side seats.

I wonder how long they will stick to this strategy.

AustinDevil
08-01-2017, 05:31 PM
Illinois, Baylor, and Kansas are rural drives, but not nearly as rough as Chicago to South Bend.

Baylor offers the bonus attraction of spending time in Austin. Enough of y'all fly here instead of Dallas (Waco is precisely 100 miles from both Dallas and Austin), and we'll get an Iron Dukes bus in and out of that hell-hole.

sagegrouse
08-01-2017, 06:08 PM
Baylor offers the bonus attraction of spending time in Austin. Enough of y'all fly here instead of Dallas (Waco is precisely 100 miles from both Dallas and Austin), and we'll get an Iron Dukes bus in and out of that hell-hole.

Or, as in Jerry Jeff Walker's version of the Charlie Pride song:

Is anybody goin' to San Antone or Phoenix, Arizona?
Any place is all right as long as I don't have to go to Waco.

budwom
08-02-2017, 07:52 AM
Stubhub already has tickets for the FSU game at below face value.

From the goduke.com ticket page, you can see they are trying to use the FSU game as bait to sell more tickets.
They have a 2 and 3 game package available, but not for any set of 2 or 3 games. They are either for FSU/Baylor, or FSU/Baylor/GT. Also, only for the east side seats.

I wonder how long they will stick to this strategy.

That's funny and totally predictable..we'll see how it goes....would be unfortunate for some Duke fans to decide not to come because they're led to believe tickets are sold out...seems gratuitously greedy to me.

left_hook_lacey
08-03-2017, 07:47 AM
Less than a month to go!!

sagegrouse
08-29-2017, 12:27 PM
Do we have any ideas on when this September 23 game will be played?

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

BigWayne
08-30-2017, 02:52 PM

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

Impossible to guess at this point unless you are an insider with the ACC or ESPN. It's a function of how ESPN juggles all the P5 games they have contracted that weekend. There are 30 TBD games involving P5 conference teams that day.

jimsumner
08-30-2017, 03:05 PM

Kindly,
Sage Grouse

As long as it's not on Thursday night.

BigWayne
08-30-2017, 08:18 PM
As long as it's not on Thursday night.

But if it was on a Thursday night, at least you would know what time the game will be months in advance.:)

OldPhiKap
09-17-2017, 03:57 PM
FWIW (not sure where else to put this) -- the Miami-FSU game postponed from yesterday will now be the week after we play Miami. Hope the Canes start looking ahead a bit early . . . .