PDA

View Full Version : RIP Frank Deford

Tripping William
05-29-2017, 07:42 PM
I grew up somewhat addicted to Sports Illustrated, and Deford's articles were a staple. He was 78.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/amphtml/national/frank-deford-who-wrote-about-sports-with-style-and-insight-dies-at-78/2017/05/29/02c5331c-448e-11e7-bcde-624ad94170ab_story.html

**Mods--If is better in Off Topic, feel free to move.

rsvman
05-29-2017, 08:09 PM
I enjoyed his wry views on NPR, even though it seemed like he was a UConn homer sometimes.

RIP.

Tappan Zee Devil
05-29-2017, 09:36 PM
I enjoyed his wry views on NPR, even though it seemed like he was a UConn homer sometimes.

RIP.

Well, I believe that he lived in Connecticut (maybe Westport - although that is actually along the south coast rather than up near Hartford and Storrs) for quite awhile.
A number of his NPR spots referred to that.

RIP

diablesseblu
05-30-2017, 08:53 AM
Well, I believe that he lived in Connecticut (maybe Westport - although that is actually along the south coast rather than up near Hartford and Storrs) for quite awhile.
A number of his NPR spots referred to that.

RIP

Mr. Deford was a "friend of a friend," and he did live in CT. Their children attended the same private school. My friends thought the world of him and his family.

Pghdukie
05-30-2017, 05:18 PM
Knew him years ago. Then he went on to great things, I went to live in a van down by the river. A very quick witted, intelligent person with propensity for the great story. SI just honor him somehow.

luvdahops
05-30-2017, 05:43 PM

RIP.

UConn hoops - both mens and womens - has come out of nowhere ~20 years ago to now have a huge fan base in the state. Rooted both in the success of those programs on the court, and the relative lack of other homegrown things that CT natives, whose state is generally thought to be extension of either Metro NYC or Boston/Providence, have to take pride in.

Always loved Deford, whether in verbal or written form. The National was way ahead of its time, and criminally short-lived.

WillJ
05-30-2017, 08:20 PM
Any appreciation of Frank Deford should include his work on cystic fibrosis, the disease that killed his daughter Alex at age 8 in 1980. Deford wrote the popular book "Alex, the Life of a Child," and was the Chairman of the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation for 7 years. In part due to him, those with CF live longer and more productive lives than his daughter did. Here's what CF Foundation said this week:

"It would be difficult to overstate the mark that Frank has left on this Foundation and our community," said Cam McLoud, chair of the CF Foundation's Board. “Because of his more than four decades of dedicated commitment to the Foundation's mission, people with CF are living longer and healthier lives. We will miss his tireless service, his extraordinary wisdom, and his enduring friendship, but we will proudly continue in his spirit of determination to end this disease."

Deford was a mensch.