PDA

View Full Version : Classic Duke Calls/Soundbites

burnspbesq
05-17-2017, 06:42 PM
There is "There's the pass to Laettner."

And there's "Clean win by Costabile."

Other than those two, what are your favorite Duke play calls/soundbites.

Mine is probably "Crowder ... [seemingly endless pause] ... Touchdown!"

Let's have some fun with this.

moonpie23
05-17-2017, 06:50 PM
"the replay clearly shows that it was all ball. Tyler must have hit his face on the floor when he fell"

chrishoke
05-17-2017, 06:50 PM
Johnny Dawkins block of Notre Dame's David Rivers last second shot in Cameron -- "All ball, all ball." That was Al McGuire. Makes it even better that it was a Digger Phelps coached Notre Dame.

wsb3
05-17-2017, 07:03 PM
The first Natty...Duke had trouble getting ball in bounds & called a timeout..Next inbound play Davis fakes & takes off for basket...catches it & as he is about to dunk.. Packer says "Ballgame."

chrishoke
05-17-2017, 07:18 PM
"Coach K is the proud father of three." Jim Nance at the buzzer of the 2001 Championship.

wsb3
05-17-2017, 07:20 PM
"Coach K is the proud father of three." Jim Nance at the buzzer of the 2001 Championship.

Good One

ndkjr70
05-17-2017, 07:28 PM
It was one of my earliest Duke memories when I started following the team religiously:

"Dockery at the buzzer........(inaudible) GOT IT (inaudible yell)"

jmck214
05-17-2017, 07:31 PM
"Capel let's it flyyyyy" - Mike Patrick
"Oooooooooooooooooo......." - Dick Vitale

chrishoke
05-17-2017, 07:39 PM
"Almost went in, almost went in."

Rich
05-17-2017, 07:51 PM

First of all, it's Nantz. Second, my problem with Jim Nantz is that his champion catchphrases always seem scripted, whether basketball, golf, whatever. Based on who's in the Finals (or who's in contention in golf), he plans what he's going to say well ahead of time. It's never, ever off the cuff. I bet he thought of "Coach K is the proud father of three" a week before the game. Give me Al Michaels' "Do you believe in miracles?" 100 times before anything Jim Nantz says.

Oh, and get off my lawn!

Newton_14
05-17-2017, 08:19 PM

These aren't Duke related but stuck with me from Packer:
1983 NC State- "Oh that's a long way!"

2008 Kansas-Cheats "This game is ovah"

The first Natty...Duke had trouble getting ball in bounds & called a timeout..Next inbound play Davis fakes & takes off for basket...catches it & as he is about to dunk.. Packer says "Ballgame."
"Duke... Is the King of The Dance"

I was in a car on the way to the Long Branch with a non-Duke fan (NC State) who insisted we leave the friend's house where we were watching the 1992 Duke/UK game once it went into OT. Our plans that evening was a Steak Dinner at our Duke Buddies House, watch the game, then head to the Long Branch Saloon in Raleigh for a night out clubbing. The game ran over the expected time to begin with, and once it headed to OT my buddy was out of patience. I'm in meltdown mode as we are heading down Hwy 50 for the 25 mile or so trip. We pull into a store, I stay in the car glued to the radio. Get a stop get a stop get a freaking stop!!!! Boom, the UK prayer goes in with 2.1 left. My heart drops and I wish I could just go home. Then, after the TO, I get to hear THE Greatest Call of all time from the great Bob Harris and the rest as they say, is History!! Sweet Sweet History. By the way... later that night I meet the girl who is now the mother of my children and my wife of 23 years! Pretty sweet night for me.

-jk
05-17-2017, 09:35 PM
C'mon - "How sweet it is!"

-jk

chrishoke
05-17-2017, 09:38 PM
First of all, it's Nantz. Second, my problem with Jim Nantz is that his champion catchphrases always seem scripted, whether basketball, golf, whatever. Based on who's in the Finals (or who's in contention in golf), he plans what he's going to say well ahead of time. It's never, ever off the cuff. I bet he thought of "Coach K is the proud father of three" a week before the game. Give me Al Michaels' "Do you believe in miracles?" 100 times before anything Jim Nantz says.

Oh, and get off my lawn!

I agree with all of this, especially my spelling stupidity.

Dukehky
05-17-2017, 10:20 PM
"Miami should forfeit that game."

-Mike Greenberg.

moonpie23
05-17-2017, 10:50 PM
Vitale on Rivers' shot...

"Ohhhhhh, Ohhhhhhhh, Ohhhhhhhhhh"

arlight
05-17-2017, 11:51 PM
"Onions by the little guy"-2015 natty game before Tyus hit the 3

burnspbesq
05-18-2017, 01:23 AM
1983 NC State- "Oh that's a long way

Followed immediately by "THEY WON IT!!! ON THE DUNK!!!"

One of Billy's best moments.

gam7
05-18-2017, 03:31 AM
"They need a miracle ... there's one ... Williams for 3!" - Mike Patrick (Maryland, 2009)

"... alarming unathletic ..." - Gottlieb (Arizona State, 2009)

"PLUM-LEEEE" - Brent Musburger (Ohio State, 2012)

"Oh, this kid ... is on his way, if they win it, to MOP!" Nantz (Wisconsin, 2015)

gam7
05-18-2017, 03:57 AM

He might as well have said, "My career is ovah"

I liked this one because I don't think it was Nantz-scripted. It was right after everyone nearly lost their minds with Hayward's shot, and I think it was spontaneous.

Incidentally, I just stumbled on this short Bleacher Report documentary-style piece on Duke-Butler (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuL81v10jLM&t=4s). Hayward, Stephens, K, Z are all interviewed. It is fantastic. Well worth the 7 minutes. I can't believe I hadn't seen this before. It was posted to youtube apparently around Final Four weekend 2016, so perhaps I overlooked it.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-18-2017, 05:01 AM

I liked this one because I don't think it was Nantz-scripted. It was right after everyone nearly lost their minds with Hayward's shot, and I think it was spontaneous.

Incidentally, I just stumbled on this short Bleacher Report documentary-style piece on Duke-Butler (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuL81v10jLM&t=4s). Hayward, Stephens, K, Z are all interviewed. It is fantastic. Well worth the 7 minutes. I can't believe I hadn't seen this before. It was posted to youtube apparently around Final Four weekend 2016, so perhaps I overlooked it.

Great clip.

Also, if that shot goes down, maybe "Duke gets all the calls" finally dies, because Singler was MUGGED on the screen.

TKG
05-18-2017, 06:25 AM
"Oh, this kid..." Nantz on Tyus's late game dagger against Wisconsin.

jv001
05-18-2017, 07:33 AM
These aren't Duke related but stuck with me from Packer:
1983 NC State- "Oh that's a long way!"

I was in a car on the way to the Long Branch with a non-Duke fan (NC State) who insisted we leave the friend's house where we were watching the 1992 Duke/UK game once it went into OT. Our plans that evening was a Steak Dinner at our Duke Buddies House, watch the game, then head to the Long Branch Saloon in Raleigh for a night out clubbing. The game ran over the expected time to begin with, and once it headed to OT my buddy was out of patience. I'm in meltdown mode as we are heading down Hwy 50 for the 25 mile or so trip. We pull into a store, I stay in the car glued to the radio. Get a stop get a stop get a freaking stop!!!! Boom, the UK prayer goes in with 2.1 left. My heart drops and I wish I could just go home. Then, after the TO, I get to hear THE Greatest Call of all time from the great Bob Harris and the rest as they say, is History!! Sweet Sweet History. By the way... later that night I meet the girl who is now the mother of my children and my wife of 23 years! Pretty sweet night for me.

It can't get much better than that. Too bad I have to spread those ole sporks around. Here's a GoDuke! :cool:

I just saw that 23 years of marriage. My wife and I celebrated our 23rd yesterday. God bless and GoDuke!

devildeac
05-18-2017, 09:09 AM
82-50. Never gets old.

DukieInKansas
05-18-2017, 09:49 AM

That was great. Thank you for sharing it. I am so glad the shot missed - I can't even imagine the game ending with Butler winning without feeling sick to my stomach. :eek:

Billy Dat
05-18-2017, 11:03 AM
When Duke beat UNC in the Dome in 2008, wasn't there a Bob Harris line to the tune of, "It's raining 3s in Chapel Hill!"

TKG
05-18-2017, 03:33 PM
"What a theft!" Jay Bilas during the replay of Austin Rivers' game winning shot in The Proboscis Dome.

Tom B.
05-18-2017, 03:35 PM
Not from a Duke game, but it has at least a tangential Duke connection because it came from Jay Bilas. And it made me laugh out loud at the time.

It's the 2009-10 season. UNC, coming off the 2009 national championship, had a bumpy year after losing Ty Lawson, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Green, and Wayne Ellington. One particular problem they have is erratic guard play, especially by sophomore Larry Drew II, who stepped into the starting PG spot vacated by Ty Lawson.

UNC ultimately would finish the regular season with a 16-15 record, which included the aforementioned 82-50 loss to Duke in Cameron to close the season. They then lost in the first round of the ACC Tournament and went to the NIT, where they managed to string together four wins over such powers as William & Mary, Mississippi State, Alabama-Birmingham, and Rhode Island, before losing to Dayton in the NIT finals.

It was, in short, a pretty glorious season for Duke fans, who got to watch Carolina spend five months tripping over itself while Duke marched to its fourth NCAA Championship.

January 13, 2010. UNC is playing at Clemson and getting beaten like a drum. And once again, UNC's guard play is killing them. UNC ultimately lost the game 83-64, and committed 26 turnovers.

At one point in the second half, after yet another errant pass by Larry Drew II results in yet another UNC turnover, Jay Bilas (who's calling the game for ESPN) deadpans, "Well, if you're in the first three rows of seats tonight, chances are you've received a pass from one of Carolina's guards."

DukieInKansas
05-18-2017, 04:07 PM
Not from a Duke game, but it has at least a tangential Duke connection because it came from Jay Bilas. And it made me laugh out loud at the time.

It's the 2009-10 season. UNC, coming off the 2009 national championship, had a bumpy year after losing Ty Lawson, Tyler Hansbrough, Danny Green, and Wayne Ellington. One particular problem they have is erratic guard play, especially by sophomore Larry Drew II, who stepped into the starting PG spot vacated by Ty Lawson.

UNC ultimately would finish the regular season with a 16-15 record, which included the aforementioned 82-50 loss to Duke in Cameron to close the season. They then lost in the first round of the ACC Tournament and went to the NIT, where they managed to string together four wins over such powers as William & Mary, Mississippi State, Alabama-Birmingham, and Rhode Island, before losing to Dayton in the NIT finals.

It was, in short, a pretty glorious season for Duke fans, who got to watch Carolina spend five months tripping over itself while Duke marched to its fourth NCAA Championship.

January 13, 2010. UNC is playing at Clemson and getting beaten like a drum. And once again, UNC's guard play is killing them. UNC ultimately lost the game 83-64, and committed 26 turnovers.

At one point in the second half, after yet another errant pass by Larry Drew II results in yet another UNC turnover, Jay Bilas (who's calling the game for ESPN) deadpans, "Well, if you're in the first three rows of seats tonight, chances are you've received a pass from one of Carolina's guards."

Always good to remember the fun of 2010 tournament finals!

(Quoted post so it could be read twice :D )

royalblue
05-18-2017, 04:23 PM
Billy Packer in 1991 said something close to "It's Dean's 2nd technical he's out of here"
I guess Rasheed Wallace was a high school student watching and thinking some day I'm going to be just like Dean :)

PeteZaHut
05-18-2017, 05:57 PM
That was great. Thank you for sharing it. I am so glad the shot missed - I can't even imagine the game ending with Butler winning without feeling sick to my stomach. :eek:

Great find. I had never seen that. I had never noticed how egregious and brutal that screen on Singler was.

-jk
05-18-2017, 06:40 PM
Great find. I had never seen that. I had never noticed how egregious and brutal that screen on Singler was.

Had the shot dropped, I'd hate to have been the ref with that no-call...

-jk

pfrduke
05-18-2017, 07:04 PM

-jk

Could you imagine the hue and outcry if the opposite events had transpired - that is, Hayward hits the shot but it gets waved off because of a (correctly) called foul on Howard? We'd still be hearing hot takes about it today.

-jk
05-18-2017, 08:42 PM
Could you imagine the hue and outcry if the opposite events had transpired - that is, Hayward hits the shot but it gets waved off because of a (correctly) called foul on Howard? We'd still be hearing hot takes about it today.

Yeah, that, too.

Fortunately, luck was on our side...

-jk

Newton_14
05-19-2017, 09:07 AM

-jk

I watched a special on the 2010 FF and they interview the head of the NCAA officials in the show. Can't remember his name but will never forget what he said. He stated that had that shot from Gordon went down he would have been haunted by the no call on the Singler crackback block (for you football guys) for life. He said it was one of those fouls you have to call every time no matter what and should have been called on that play.

weezie
05-19-2017, 09:42 AM
My personal fav, "SCOREBOARD!"

TKG
05-19-2017, 10:23 AM
"You're not honest." Bob Harris to Mike Nifong.

Tripping William
05-19-2017, 11:06 AM
"Watch the Virginia Tech reaction." --Dan Bonner

"Hickory Dickory Dockery!" --Tim Brando

chrishoke
05-19-2017, 12:01 PM
"You're not honest." Bob Harris to Mike Nifong.

Hell yes! Bob's best moment ever!