PDA

View Full Version : Golf Lessons? We talkin' bout practice?????!!!!!!

left_hook_lacey
05-17-2017, 04:49 PM
I have been a high-handicap hacker for many years. I hit some pretty good shots during a round, but can hit almost as many bad ones. I never know what I'm bringing to the course when I go to play(which is only 5 or 6 times a year). I could go tomorrow and hit 250 yard drives with a slight fade, or I could be hitting 290-300 with a slight draw. I might be hitting dead center on short irons and sticking every green, or I could be literally hitting every iron shot thin and watching them bounce down the fairway. You just never know.

With that said, I've made the decision to make golf a focus in my life. I'm getting to the age that I need to start replacing some of the high-impact sports I play with something a little easier on the body.

I plan to start taking lessons from a good pro and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've never had a lesson in my life, but I have read plenty of books and "fix it" articles which is probably half my problem. I'm open to just about anywhere from Raleigh, east towards New Bern. My plan is to go take a lesson, get some drills I can work on at home and once I see progress, go back for another lesson, rinse and repeat. Maybe go see the pro once or twice every couple of months with a strenuous practice plan in-between.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on a good reputable instructor that you know of or have had personal experience with, please advise. If I'm making the decision to spend the time and money to do this, I want it to be with a great instructor.

Tripping William
05-17-2017, 05:03 PM
I have been a high-handicap hacker for many years. I hit some pretty good shots during a round, but can hit almost as many bad ones. I never know what I'm bringing to the course when I go to play(which is only 5 or 6 times a year). I could go tomorrow and hit 250 yard drives with a slight fade, or I could be hitting 290-300 with a slight draw. I might be hitting dead center on short irons and sticking every green, or I could be literally hitting every iron shot thin and watching them bounce down the fairway. You just never know.

With that said, I've made the decision to make golf a focus in my life. I'm getting to the age that I need to start replacing some of the high-impact sports I play with something a little easier on the body.

I plan to start taking lessons from a good pro and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I've never had a lesson in my life, but I have read plenty of books and "fix it" articles which is probably half my problem. I'm open to just about anywhere from Raleigh, east towards New Bern. My plan is to go take a lesson, get some drills I can work on at home and once I see progress, go back for another lesson, rinse and repeat. Maybe go see the pro once or twice every couple of months with a strenuous practice plan in-between.

So, if anyone has any suggestions on a good reputable instructor that you know of or have had personal experience with, please advise. If I'm making the decision to spend the time and money to do this, I want it to be with a great instructor.

I do not have recommendations for that part of the state, but do have some connections here in the Triad that might have some ideas. Happy to ask around. My only other current thought is that, if you're willing to go in-land some, I understand the instructional folks at Pinehurst (Eric Alpenfels, Kelly Mitchum, Paul McRae, Geoff Lynch) are top-notch. No personal experience with them, though.

I may also need to go down this road soon. "Self-help" has proven unreliable, but I remain a stubborn proponent of it (if my actions are any indication, anyway).

Indoor66
05-17-2017, 06:51 PM
Ed Ibarguan at Duke is a terrific teacher.

BD80
05-17-2017, 08:20 PM
Best suggestion I can make is start with yoga, often and regularly. It will improve your core strength and flexibility and will greatly improve your focus and body control.

nmduke2001
05-17-2017, 10:11 PM
I took lessons at GolfTEC. It's a franchise that uses video and motion sensors. I'm a visual learner. On my first lesson, my instructor told me I wasn't turning and only using my arms. I didn't believe him until he replayed the last swing. Once I saw it, I corrected it. The lesson is uploaded to their app so you can rewatch it whenever you want, even while practicing on your own. Not sure if one is near you, but I would guess there is.

mkirsh
05-18-2017, 12:42 AM
I do not have recommendations for that part of the state, but do have some connections here in the Triad that might have some ideas. Happy to ask around. My only other current thought is that, if you're willing to go in-land some, I understand the instructional folks at Pinehurst (Eric Alpenfels, Kelly Mitchum, Paul McRae, Geoff Lynch) are top-notch. No personal experience with them, though.

I may also need to go down this road soon. "Self-help" has proven unreliable, but I remain a stubborn proponent of it (if my actions are any indication, anyway).

I did a 3 day golf school at Pinehurst a few years ago, and while I'm not sure I would do that again (not enough individual attention IMO), I really enjoyed working with Paul McRae. Would go back to see him again if I lived close, he's awesome.

Zeke
05-18-2017, 09:54 AM
Agree with lessons although maybe more often. Don't forget that probably well over 60% of your strokes are from on or around the green. Lessons on short game are not high on most peoples list but you will see the most reduction in your score from improvement in 70 yards in. Practice in putting is boring and often leads to back ache but keep at it.

rsvman
05-18-2017, 12:46 PM
Mike Malaska. Videos are on YouTube. In my opinion, better than any locally available option.

Have somebody film your swing hitting balls at the range so you can see if you are following the instructions properly.

Even well intentioned golf professionals often either don't know how to properly instruct you or lack the observational skills to really see what's wrong with your swing.

Malaska's approach is different from most, but it's sound, it works, and it's very easy on the body.

left_hook_lacey
05-19-2017, 10:16 AM

I have been toying with the notion of going to one of the weekend all-inclusive training packages at Pinehurst. It's not cheap, but if they're as good as advertised, it'll be an investment into my lifelong mental health as a better golfer! :D

left_hook_lacey
05-19-2017, 10:17 AM
Mike Malaska. Videos are on YouTube. In my opinion, better than any locally available option.

Have somebody film your swing hitting balls at the range so you can see if you are following the instructions properly.

Even well intentioned golf professionals often either don't know how to properly instruct you or lack the observational skills to really see what's wrong with your swing.

Malaska's approach is different from most, but it's sound, it works, and it's very easy on the body.

Spent some time last night watching some of his videos. His swing thoughts are definitely different than what I've read/been told in the past. I'm curious to try to apply some of what he is saying combined with looking at myself on video. Thanks for the reply.

left_hook_lacey
05-19-2017, 10:23 AM
Ed Ibarguan at Duke is a terrific teacher.

Read up on Mr. Ibarguan. Seems you would be correct. I just wonder how accessible he is. I see lesson rates on the Duke Golf Club site, but there isn't an email listed for him as there are the other instructors. The prices listed are for "Instruction with PGA professional" but it doesn't specify who that would be. I'm sure they're all great, but it appears that Mr. Ed really is "The Man".

Thanks for the reply.

Indoor66
05-19-2017, 12:33 PM
Read up on Mr. Ibarguan. Seems you would be correct. I just wonder how accessible he is. I see lesson rates on the Duke Golf Club site, but there isn't an email listed for him as there are the other instructors. The prices listed are for "Instruction with PGA professional" but it doesn't specify who that would be. I'm sure they're all great, but it appears that Mr. Ed really is "The Man".

Thanks for the reply.

Call the golf course and ask for Ed. He always calls back. He is a great guy.

left_hook_lacey
05-19-2017, 12:49 PM
Call the golf course and ask for Ed. He always calls back. He is a great guy.

Will do.

Turk
05-19-2017, 03:26 PM

Congratulations! I've had lessons off and on over the years, with positive results. I have some worries about your proposed approach; it sounds like you are walking in with some limiting preconceptions or assumptions.

Asking around for recommendations is great, but remember this is a one-on-one human interaction, which can be unpredictable. Even a pro with a great reputation might not be the best specific teacher for you (or me); the probability is probably very good, but it's no guarantee. Be prepared to see someone else if you aren't feeling the love after a few sessions.

You also seem to have your practice / drill plan all laid out. Seems to me that's a bit like going to the doctor knowing what prescription you want to get. Let the diagnosis happen first. It's possible the pro might ask you to work on something different than expected.

What kind of learner are you? Are you visual? Analytic? Or more "feel"? For example, there might be a couple different drills that fix a given flaw.
Which one do you like better? That's part of the dialog too. My last lesson was long enough ago that the guy did a side-by-side with my swing next to Skinny Tiger's (well before anyone realized his swing would result in blowing out major structural body parts). I asked him who else did he have on his video box, someone more my body type like maybe Ernie Els or Vijay Singh for a more realistic comparison. (even that was too generous by about <redacted> pounds.)

My biggest piece of advice is to go in with an open mind. You will be asked questions or given drills that may feel weird, counter-intuitive, and possibly even nonsensical. Work through it; you will be in a much better place afterward. When one of my golf buddies fall prey to the siren song of new technology and brags about their new $350 driver, I usually tell them all that will do is put them farther in the woods; they would have been better off spending it lessons, as I stripe my 2003 TaylorMade 250 Series down the middle and take their money at the end of the round.

mkirsh
05-19-2017, 03:44 PM
Congratulations! I've had lessons off and on over the years, with positive results. I have some worries about your proposed approach; it sounds like you are walking in with some limiting preconceptions or assumptions.

Asking around for recommendations is great, but remember this is a one-on-one human interaction, which can be unpredictable. Even a pro with a great reputation might not be the best specific teacher for you (or me); the probability is probably very good, but it's no guarantee. Be prepared to see someone else if you aren't feeling the love after a few sessions.

You also seem to have your practice / drill plan all laid out. Seems to me that's a bit like going to the doctor knowing what prescription you want to get. Let the diagnosis happen first. It's possible the pro might ask you to work on something different than expected.

What kind of learner are you? Are you visual? Analytic? Or more "feel"? For example, there might be a couple different drills that fix a given flaw.
Which one do you like better? That's part of the dialog too. My last lesson was long enough ago that the guy did a side-by-side with my swing next to Skinny Tiger's (well before anyone realized his swing would result in blowing out major structural body parts). I asked him who else did he have on his video box, someone more my body type like maybe Ernie Els or Vijay Singh for a more realistic comparison. (even that was too generous by about <redacted> pounds.)

My biggest piece of advice is to go in with an open mind. You will be asked questions or given drills that may feel weird, counter-intuitive, and possibly even nonsensical. Work through it; you will be in a much better place afterward. When one of my golf buddies fall prey to the siren song of new technology and brags about their new $350 driver, I usually tell them all that will do is put them farther in the woods; they would have been better off spending it lessons, as I stripe my 2003 TaylorMade 250 Series down the middle and take their money at the end of the round.

Dude - you need a new driver! I love my 2002 975 jvs and maxfli revolution wound golf balls, but I would be hitting 2 extra clubs into greens if I used them today. Older irons and fairways still hold up (as do putters which are timeless), but you are leaving both distance and accuracy on the table with a 14 year old driver. Pick up a 2 season old version on eBay where you can get something for under $100 and make the game easier! :cool:

Rest of your advice was spot on, just needed to tweak you on the driver.

rthomas
05-19-2017, 05:11 PM
Dude - you need a new driver!

Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting the 2017 Taylormade M1.

Seems like I should go ahead and get the 2017 instead of the cheaper 2016. Anybody have experience with the M1? Recommendations?

Turk
05-19-2017, 05:26 PM
Dude - I didn't exactly say *when* all this was going on. I just hadn't been playing very much and did the driver upgrade about a year ago.

I made a nuisance of myself at the local Golf Galaxy most days after work for a couple of weeks and hit almost every driver in the store. I wound up with a Callaway X2 Hot driver and 3-metal out of the clearance rack for $250 and have been pleased with the improvement. There was absolutely zero difference with the new ones (some of the new ones were worse), except for a Ping something that I forget the version. I also upgraded to Cleveland irons a few years back, so my technology is reasonably current, even if my game is rusty.

I also bought a hybrid with some of the savings, but it was the wrong one - no different than my 5-metal. I do need to plug a distance gap between the 3 and the 5, but that's a relatively infrequent problem to face.

Turk
05-19-2017, 05:37 PM
Speaking of which, I'm thinking of getting the 2017 Taylormade M1.

Seems like I should go ahead and get the 2017 instead of the cheaper 2016. Anybody have experience with the M1? Recommendations?

When I was doing my shopping last year, I really wanted to stick with TaylorMade, but none of them worked for me, not even the M1. (of course, this was just based on a simulator in the store). I tried to read reviews but they all sound the same after a while, and I'm not a "decimals to three places" technical specs guy. I don't know any other way to buy clubs other than hitting as many different ones as I (and the sales staff) have patience for.

rsvman
05-19-2017, 06:16 PM
Spent some time last night watching some of his videos. His swing thoughts are definitely different than what I've read/been told in the past. I'm curious to try to apply some of what he is saying combined with looking at myself on video. Thanks for the reply.

I'm convinced that he is correct in certain things, for sure. The first, and maybe the most important, is that the first move from the top of the backswing has to be moving the hands straight down, rather than pulling the handle of the club toward the ball. Too many teachers teach this incorrectly. Pulling the handle toward the ball, with the club getting behind, is a recipe for inconsistency.

Bobby Lopez has a drill called "the 2 o'clock drill" (look up the short video on YouTube) that enforces the same concept. The hands have to start straight down before the shoulders start to rotate. Jack Nicklaus used to say that he wanted to hit the ball before the buttons on his shirt got to the ball. That's the same concept expressed in different words.

Anyway, good luck and have fun.

rsvman
05-20-2017, 11:08 PM
A couple of "mental side" of golf suggestions for ya, too, even though you didn't ask for them.

1) Golfers who start off playing well inevitably think to themselves and/or say aloud "This won't continue." On the other hand, if they start poorly, they are convinced that they will continue playing poorly throughout the whole round. You can't have it both ways, right? Either past performance influences future performance or it doesn't. Turns out that each shot is independent. Just because you just hit a bad shot doesn't mean the next shot will be terrible, too; it might well be an incredibly awesome shot. Most casual golfers shoot themselves in the foot because they don't understand this, and it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. So always remember that the next shot could always be good.

2) When the average duffer hits a really great shot, he/she thinks or says aloud, "I can't hit that shot. I don't have that shot in my arsenal. I don't play golf like that." But the truth is, you CAN hit that shot, you DO have that shot in your arsenal, and you CAN play like that. If you did it once, it means it can be done, and can be done again. Just as in point number 1, most golfers doom themselves because of negative thoughts. So, when you do hit a great shot, rather than deny it, accept it. "I hit a great shot. I am capable of great shots." These kinds of thoughts allow the great shots to become more frequent.

3) If you can train yourself to do this, try getting excited by great shots, but not too upset about bad ones. Look at the bad shots as an opportunity to try saving a score from a difficult situation, or as a way to learn how to play better. By the time you hit the next shot, all negativity about the bad shot needs to be gone. Look at the NEXT shot always, and not the LAST one, or the one two or three holes ago.

4) Greens in regulation are really important. Studies show that most golfers score better if there are no flagsticks. That should tell you something. Aim for the center of the green. Let's say the pin is tucked way onto the left side of the green. If you aim at the center of the green and pull it a little, you are close to the hole. If you hit it straight you are on the green putting for birdie and likely getting a par. If you push it some, you are a long ways from the hole but either on the green, of off the green but with a lot of green to work with. Duffers short-side themselves way too often. Aim right AT that left-hand flagstick and pull it a little and you are off the green with a very difficult up and down because there's no green to work with. So, again, on approach shots, be thinking "get on the green in regulation." This USUALLY means a) aiming at the center of the green and b) taking one more club than you at first think is correct (most duffers miss greens short way more often than they miss them long).

5) Think your way around the course, planning holes from the green backward. Example: a par 5 hole that is 500 yards long and you hit driver maybe 230 and 3-wood maybe 210. You're not going to get to the green in two no matter what. If you hit driver/3-wood and nut them both, you are now sitting in the fairway 50-60 yards away, which just happens to be one of the hardest distances for most non-professionals to hit, because it's not a full-swing distance for most people. So, plinth hole backwards, attempting to get to a comfortable, full-swing distance for your approach. Let's say you have a gap wedge you like and your full swing sends it 110 yards. 500-110=390. Now play your first two shots to get 390 yards. Maybe play 3-wood off the tee (210 in this example) and then play 4-iron or 5-iron or whatever your 180 club is. Now you have a full gap wedge to the green and you can just point and shoot without having to try to finesse a difficult shot. Makes life a lot easier. This tip alone could easily save 2 strokes a round or even more.

6) Likewise, if you are a short-knocker like me, occasionally it will pay to play long par 4s as if they were par 5s, especially if the hole is narrow or has punishing rough or a lot of trees just off the fairway. Hitting a 5-iron off the tee, while counterintuitive, may be productive. Another 5-iron after that, then a wedge, and then you are on the green putting for par, two-putting for bogey, thus avoiding the double, triple, or quadruple bogey from ruining an otherwise solid round.

I should stop before I bore everybody to tears ("too late for that," I hear you saying). I have more but I'll save them for another time. ;)

Tripping William
05-21-2017, 05:06 AM
Looks like the check that Bob Rotella sent to rsvman has cleared the bank. :o

Seriously, good stuff. Keep it coming!

rsvman
05-21-2017, 07:45 AM
Yep. A lot of good stuff in the book "Golf is not a game of perfect."

rsvman
05-21-2017, 10:45 AM
Yep. A lot of good stuff in the book "Golf is not a game of perfect."

Quoting myself to add that I read this book years ago and internalized it so much I almost forgot where it came from!

I'll add that the one thing I remember most from the book was that Bob relayed a conversation he had with Freddie Couples one time, back when it was just starting to get popular to have a sports psychologist helping athletes. Bob says that Freddie came up to him at a tournament one time and asked, "Bob, should I have a sports psychologist?"
Bob: "I don't know, Freddie. Tell me a bit about your thought process when preparing to hit a shot."
Freddie: "Let's say I have a 6-iron approach shot in front of me. I take the 6-iron in my hand, and as I'm setting up for the shot, I think about the best shot I ever hit with that 6-iron. Then I hit the shot."
Bob: "You don't need me."

These aren't exact quotes, but it made it easier to tell who was saying what. But you get the main idea. That story stuck with me. I try to emulate that thought process in my playing.

-jk
05-21-2017, 04:23 PM
I think Robin Williams (RIP) gave the best description of golf - ever.

It's not suitable for our family audience so if you haven't seen it, you'll have to find it yourself...

"This is brilliant: Right near the end, I'll put a flat piece with a little flag to give ya ... hope! But then I'll put a pool and a sandbox..."

-jk

Channing
05-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Quoting myself to add that I read this book years ago and internalized it so much I almost forgot where it came from!

I'll add that the one thing I remember most from the book was that Bob relayed a conversation he had with Freddie Couples one time, back when it was just starting to get popular to have a sports psychologist helping athletes. Bob says that Freddie came up to him at a tournament one time and asked, "Bob, should I have a sports psychologist?"
Bob: "I don't know, Freddie. Tell me a bit about your thought process when preparing to hit a shot."
Freddie: "Let's say I have a 6-iron approach shot in front of me. I take the 6-iron in my hand, and as I'm setting up for the shot, I think about the best shot I ever hit with that 6-iron. Then I hit the shot."
Bob: "You don't need me."

These aren't exact quotes, but it made it easier to tell who was saying what. But you get the main idea. That story stuck with me. I try to emulate that thought process in my playing.

My personal favorite Freddie Couples quote:

Reporter: Freddie, what do you do when you have 60 yards in.
FC: Fire my caddie.

rsvman
05-21-2017, 08:02 PM
My personal favorite Freddie Couples quote:

Reporter: Freddie, what do you do when you have 60 yards in.
FC: Fire my caddie.

This is priceless. Lol

duketaylor
05-21-2017, 08:30 PM
I'm not gonna (yet) get into the taking lessons debate/discussion. I will in a few days. Regarding Dr. Bob Rotella; he's a friend of mine, I've slept in the basement of his house and worked with him for 7 years when I attempted the tour. His wife and daughter are awesome. We've talked, at length, about the psychology of life, golf, everything. He's helped formed me as a person (he may regret that). Yet, I thank him for that regularly. I haven't seen him for a couple years now, but would love to soon so I could introduce him to my wife and kids. My wife has heard tons about him from me. Golf is more psychology than physicality, at least for me.

We would talk often about what or how to think during a round or about a shot. Digressing, he told me when I first talked with him about a tournament in Charlottesville a couple years earlier that I had won about some shots I hit. Little did I know he was following my group and observing; I didn't know him at the time. He asked me about some of the shots I played and my mindset about how I wanted to play the hole. Luckily, I was a Duke student at the time and Coach Myers had helped me learn course management. If you've ever played Farmington Country Club in C'ville (highly recommended) then you'll know what I mean.
I've had many awesome chats with Dr. Bob over the years. I owe him a lot!!

left_hook_lacey
05-22-2017, 08:13 AM
I'm not gonna (yet) get into the taking lessons debate/discussion. I will in a few days. Regarding Dr. Bob Rotella; he's a friend of mine, I've slept in the basement of his house and worked with him for 7 years when I attempted the tour. His wife and daughter are awesome. We've talked, at length, about the psychology of life, golf, everything. He's helped formed me as a person (he may regret that). Yet, I thank him for that regularly. I haven't seen him for a couple years now, but would love to soon so I could introduce him to my wife and kids. My wife has heard tons about him from me. Golf is more psychology than physicality, at least for me.

We would talk often about what or how to think during a round or about a shot. Digressing, he told me when I first talked with him about a tournament in Charlottesville a couple years earlier that I had won about some shots I hit. Little did I know he was following my group and observing; I didn't know him at the time. He asked me about some of the shots I played and my mindset about how I wanted to play the hole. Luckily, I was a Duke student at the time and Coach Myers had helped me learn course management. If you've ever played Farmington Country Club in C'ville (highly recommended) then you'll know what I mean.
I've had many awesome chats with Dr. Bob over the years. I owe him a lot!!

Whenever you decide to wade into those waters, I'm all ears. :cool:

rsvman
05-22-2017, 08:58 AM
... Regarding Dr. Bob Rotella; he's a friend of mine, I've slept in the basement of his house and worked with him for 7 years when I attempted the tour. His wife and daughter are awesome. We've talked, at length, about the psychology of life, golf, everything. He's helped formed me as a person (he may regret that). Yet, I thank him for that regularly....

This is awesome. Color me slightly to moderately jealous.

left_hook_lacey
05-22-2017, 09:18 AM
Well, I played this weekend after watching a few of Mike Malaska's videos. For good measure and another pair of capable eyes, I brought along a co-worker that shoots even par on a bad day. He's 5' 7" 170 lbs soaking wet and never hit a drive less than 300 yards all day. Very humbling.

My game was all over the place which was expected since I'm trying to change things for the better. One place I was noticeably better from watching the videos was putting. I watched Malaska's thoughts and theories on putting, went to the putting green an hour before my round and tried to apply the concepts. Then I played the putting games he suggested. I putted better in that round than I ever have. My distance control was remarkably better which has always been a issue for me, mostly because I don't play enough so it takes me a while to get the right "feel". And what's more important, when I did mis-hit the ball, I knew why. That's huge.

I'm trying to adapt Malaska's concept of "coming over the top, from the inside". I believe what he is saying, and I know what to do. I just can't do it yet. My co-worker kept showing me my divots pointed way left of the green, pausing me in my swing, sticking a tee in the ground up and to the right of the ball to try to get me to aim for it to swing inside out, but I came over and across putting side spin on the ball. Every. Single. Time.:mad:

The good news? Putting is getting better, gaining confidence. I now understand more than ever WHAT I'm supposed to be doing during the swing. I learned some good course management advice from my co-worker.

The bad news. Knowing WHAT to do, and being able to do it are two very different things. I have a long row to hoe to get old bad habits broken and new good habits ingrained. Challenge accepted!

Some people in this thread, Mike Malaska, and Harvy Penick's little red book all suggest to start practicing at the green, then work your way back to the tee and that's what I plan to do. If I can't square the putter face every time, how on earth can I expect myself to get a driver face square swinging 100%?

FYI: As far as the equipment discussion goes, my co-worker worked at Golf Galaxy for many years fitting clubs. I have yet to ask him a question about a club that he couldn't answer. His advice? Get an old used driver from a bargain bin at a pro shop, then put your money in the shaft and grip.

Just for giggles, and to keep me accountable, I'm going to update this thread with my progress, what I'm working on, etc. If and when I do play a complete round, I'll post the score here.

rsvman
05-23-2017, 10:34 AM
Nice. Thanks for the report.

Coming "over the top" results from a lot of different errors, but one of the most common is beginning to spin your shoulders (open the shoulders, rotate the shoulders) immediately at the start of the downswing. As soon as that happens, it's really hard to correct it on the way down. It involves a lot of machinations with your shoulders getting tight, etc., etc., all of which are bad news for your swing.

To me the key is to start the downswing with the hands starting straight down and the shoulders remaining quiet. It only takes a fraction of a second. Check out the very short video "Downswing theory with Julie Yang" by Malaska. It's only a two-minute video and the meat of it starts at about one minute in. There's about a 15-second section in there that you can watch over and over again until you internalize what he is saying. I think this will help you a great deal. The other video I really like from Malaska that relates to this is called something like "The tiny difference between off and on" and it has Margarita Ramos in it. It is slightly over 6 minutes long but gives you a nice drill that will help.

Also check out "The 2 o'clock drill" video by Bobby Lopez if you haven't already. It addresses the exact same topic in a slightly different way.

All of these will help to keep you from coming across the ball so much.

Turk
05-23-2017, 06:56 PM
For me, I get in trouble when my swing plane gets too flat at the top of the backswing. There's no room to drop my hands back down into the slot because they're too close to my body, so one of two things happens: 1) I spin out and smother a low screaming hook down the third base line, or 2) feel it coming, slide my hips left in an attempt to salvage the shot, and block a lazy fly ball deep into the seats down the first base line. Alas, this violates one of the cardinal rules to become a consistent player, which is to build a swing and create a ball flight pattern that always avoids the danger on one side of the hole or the other.

So my key is to bring my hands as high as I can and reach down the target line during the backswing, pause at the top, then just slowly uncoil back down the line, nice and smooth and effortless like Easy Ernie Els. I've never really thought about my hands once the downswing starts. I'm just trying to see the club hit the ball at the *exact* moment of impact and see it start down the target line.

rthomas
06-05-2017, 06:22 PM
Ok, So I bought the Taylormade M1 and I have to say I love it. I futzed around with the settings for a couple weeks and ultimately set it on a very forgiving setting. I went from 10.5 to 12.5 loft and have the front/back weight all the way back. I didn't change the side weight to favor a draw or a fade.

I use the same set up. And I am hitting a lot longer because I am hitting so much straighter. It's not magic but about as close as I've seen. I am in love with my driver again.

left_hook_lacey
09-05-2018, 11:09 AM
The Good: I played this weekend and shot a personal best 86 after not playing for months(previous best was a 90). Left lots of easy strokes out there, but got lucky a few times too, so I guess that evens out. My chipping and putting are much improved because that's really the only thing I've been able to practice around the house. A few minutes here, a few minutes there. My driver is, 250-300 consistently only swinging about 3/4 power. I'm trying to work on getting that feeling of reaching back(hand shake) and the face opens up, and then closing that down at the same position on the other side of my body with the club face closed.

The Bad: While I'm driving consistently 250-300 yards every time, I've developed a massive slice that I can't control no matter what I try. I shot the 86 because I made the decision to give up trying to "fix" it during the round and just started playing it. There was a short 310 par 4, slight right bend, that has deep bunkers guarding the front.. I aimed right at the spot where the fairway begins to bend to the right, cleared the bunkers and it rolled 2 feet from the green.

The Ugly: Missed a couple of 2 foot putts that were straight in. Can't explain that one.

The score card was weird. I didn't have that many pars, it was birdie, bogie, or double bogey.

Most of my problems came on the front nine, when I refused to aim left and play the slice. I was hitting out of the trees or from another fairway on multiple occasions so I wasted a lot of shots with punch outs to get back in the fairway.

I hit my irons pretty good. Can't remember any major mis-hits. I did notice my divots were point way way left of my target line sometimes, and on those the ball was always landing right of the target. I assume whatever it is I'm doing to make my driver slice so bad is still happening with my irons, it's just less pronounced.

Either way, golf has bitten me again and I find myself wanting to get back out there again, especially since the weather is about to cool off. Still want to get into a routine, just gotta make the time.

rsvman
09-05-2018, 12:31 PM
86 in the face of a slice is pretty darned good.

I'd kill to be able to hit a driver 275.

If your divots go way left and the ball goes right, it means two things are happening: 1) you are coming across the ball ("over the top," "across the line," etc.), and 2) your clubface is open at the time of impact. When you start the downswing, make sure your shoulders don't rotate right away, and pull the club as much as possible straight down. Make sure that you aren't taking the club back too far inside on the backswing. On the backswing, when your arms get to parallel with the ground, the clubhead should be OUTSIDE of your hands (farther away from you). I bet in your case the clubhead is INSIDE (i.e., "behind" your hands). If it is, correct that. This goes a long ways toward getting rid of the "over the top" move.

Indoor66
09-05-2018, 12:46 PM
The Good: I played this weekend and shot a personal best 86 after not playing for months(previous best was a 90). Left lots of easy strokes out there, but got lucky a few times too, so I guess that evens out. My chipping and putting are much improved because that's really the only thing I've been able to practice around the house. A few minutes here, a few minutes there. My driver is, 250-300 consistently only swinging about 3/4 power. I'm trying to work on getting that feeling of reaching back(hand shake) and the face opens up, and then closing that down at the same position on the other side of my body with the club face closed.

The Bad: While I'm driving consistently 250-300 yards every time, I've developed a massive slice that I can't control no matter what I try. I shot the 86 because I made the decision to give up trying to "fix" it during the round and just started playing it. There was a short 310 par 4, slight right bend, that has deep bunkers guarding the front.. I aimed right at the spot where the fairway begins to bend to the right, cleared the bunkers and it rolled 2 feet from the green.

The Ugly: Missed a couple of 2 foot putts that were straight in. Can't explain that one.

The score card was weird. I didn't have that many pars, it was birdie, bogie, or double bogey.

Most of my problems came on the front nine, when I refused to aim left and play the slice. I was hitting out of the trees or from another fairway on multiple occasions so I wasted a lot of shots with punch outs to get back in the fairway.

I hit my irons pretty good. Can't remember any major mis-hits. I did notice my divots were point way way left of my target line sometimes, and on those the ball was always landing right of the target. I assume whatever it is I'm doing to make my driver slice so bad is still happening with my irons, it's just less pronounced.

Either way, golf has bitten me again and I find myself wanting to get back out there again, especially since the weather is about to cool off. Still want to get into a routine, just gotta make the time.

Slow down your swing. Work a 1 -2 -3 -4 cadence to keep a consistent tempo.

CDu
09-05-2018, 01:34 PM
I took lessons at GolfTEC. It's a franchise that uses video and motion sensors. I'm a visual learner. On my first lesson, my instructor told me I wasn't turning and only using my arms. I didn't believe him until he replayed the last swing. Once I saw it, I corrected it. The lesson is uploaded to their app so you can rewatch it whenever you want, even while practicing on your own. Not sure if one is near you, but I would guess there is.

I've had two lessons in my life (both this year), and both were really helpful. They sound very similar to yours. First lesson, the instructor filmed my swing, and pointed out that after making a good backswing, things went downhill (and not in a good way). I was all arms, and not getting nearly enough body turn. I suspect that's the most common mistake of the average golfer: not letting your core and the club do all the work for you.

I was amazed when working through things how much better the ball would jump off my club with a better swing and way less effort. Keeping a good radius throughout the swing, having my hands in the right place, and getting good core rotation all the way through my follow-through. I'm still not a good golfer, but I'm much less bad. Basically, I've gone from a 105-115 golfer to an 85-95 golfer off just those two lessons and subsequent practice. Getting the ball consistently in the air with the irons makes a huge difference in your score at the entry level.

Next step for me is, just as Zeke suggested, working on the short game. For me, I give away way too many shots within 20 yards of the pin. If I can tighten up that part of my game, I can hopefully get down into the high-70s/low-80s. But that is a matter of practice, practice, practice.

left_hook_lacey
09-05-2018, 02:25 PM
86 in the face of a slice is pretty darned good.

I'd kill to be able to hit a driver 275.

If your divots go way left and the ball goes right, it means two things are happening: 1) you are coming across the ball ("over the top," "across the line," etc.), and 2) your clubface is open at the time of impact. When you start the downswing, make sure your shoulders don't rotate right away, and pull the club as much as possible straight down. Make sure that you aren't taking the club back too far inside on the backswing. On the backswing, when your arms get to parallel with the ground, the clubhead should be OUTSIDE of your hands (farther away from you). I bet in your case the clubhead is INSIDE (i.e., "behind" your hands). If it is, correct that. This goes a long ways toward getting rid of the "over the top" move.

That is exactly what I do, almost intentionally I would say. My swing feels more like around the waist than anything. I think I slowly developed that habit over the years thinking it was helping me come more from the inside. I also don't know what to do with my hands around impact. I hear/read so many different things. Rotate your right wrist(for RH) through impact so it's facing up towards the sky when waist high the follow through, don't rotate your wrist at all, that's called flipping or casting, if you're swing is correct, there is no need to do anything with your wrists.....etc. etc.

cato
09-05-2018, 05:24 PM

Where are the 1-2-3 and 4?

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-05-2018, 08:11 PM
Many things contribute to a slice. Swinging too fast and getting ahead of the ball. Poor takeaway, i.e., picking the club up instead of tacking it back. I try to remember to get my weight a little toward my heels by wiggling my toes and focusing on sweeping the club back. It seems to help me. And yes slowing the heck down usually does wonders!

CDu
09-05-2018, 11:45 PM
Many things contribute to a slice. Swinging too fast and getting ahead of the ball. Poor takeaway, i.e., picking the club up instead of tacking it back. I try to remember to get my weight a little toward my heels by wiggling my toes and focusing on sweeping the club back. It seems to help me. And yes slowing the heck down usually does wonders!

I used to have the problem that my backswing was faster than my swing. That was a recipe for bad results.

weezie
09-06-2018, 07:09 AM
I see that Costco has the Kirkland golf balls back in stock...

Reisen
09-06-2018, 08:07 AM
New poster to this thread but I have posted about golf on DBR before (probably over a decade ago).

I'd bet money that if left-hook really is hitting his drives as far as he claims, it's not a slice but a power-fade. Unless his measurements include the ball's side to side movements (ie. 150 yards forward, 100 yard to the side), a slice hit that hard is almost never playable, and almost never goes 250+ yards out from the tee. Sounds more like a power-fade to me.

Anyway, if we align on nomenclature, I don't think hitting a power fade if you're hitting that far is a massive issue, and you might want to learn to allow for it and just aim left. Not everyone has to strive for hitting board-straight shots with every club.

Can we also take a second to reflect on the fact that left-hook lacy is complaining about slicing?

Lastly, I agree with previous posters and bet the issue is coming over the top. You can compensate for this by aggressively closing the club face, but you risk hooding the driver.

I used to play a lot, but with small children, have not gotten out much lately. Strangely, I still play pretty well when I do, but most of my lost strokes come from my short game. I've also found as I got better (I shoot in the 80's) my short game has actually gotten worse, mainly because I hit so many more greens that I don't spend so much time flopping a wedge from a sidehill lie any more as when I was shooting in the high 90's.

Indoor66
09-06-2018, 08:40 AM

No claim slowing down is a panacea but it is a great starting point and makes analysis of other possible issues easier. First thing I check is grip and setup/stance. Ya got to work from the beginning.

Tripping William
09-06-2018, 09:41 AM
New poster to this thread but I have posted about golf on DBR before (probably over a decade ago).

I'd bet money that if left-hook really is hitting his drives as far as he claims, it's not a slice but a power-fade. Unless his measurements include the ball's side to side movements (ie. 150 yards forward, 100 yard to the side), a slice hit that hard is almost never playable, and almost never goes 250+ yards out from the tee. Sounds more like a power-fade to me.

Anyway, if we align on nomenclature, I don't think hitting a power fade if you're hitting that far is a massive issue, and you might want to learn to allow for it and just aim left. Not everyone has to strive for hitting board-straight shots with every club.

Can we also take a second to reflect on the fact that left-hook lacy is complaining about slicing?

Lastly, I agree with previous posters and bet the issue is coming over the top. You can compensate for this by aggressively closing the club face, but you risk hooding the driver.

I used to play a lot, but with small children, have not gotten out much lately. Strangely, I still play pretty well when I do, but most of my lost strokes come from my short game. I've also found as I got better (I shoot in the 80's) my short game has actually gotten worse, mainly because I hit so many more greens that I don't spend so much time flopping a wedge from a sidehill lie any more as when I was shooting in the high 90's.

Although I hesitate to give any swing advice (I have a 14-year-old who will attest that most of the time I don't know what I'm talking about), especially about a swing I have never seen, I nevertheless agree with all of this. I often suffer from similar maladies (with irons in particular), but without having the impressive tee-ball distance being described.

Hoping right_slice_lacey can work things out. :o

nmduke2001
09-06-2018, 10:13 AM
I've had two lessons in my life (both this year), and both were really helpful. They sound very similar to yours. First lesson, the instructor filmed my swing, and pointed out that after making a good backswing, things went downhill (and not in a good way). I was all arms, and not getting nearly enough body turn. I suspect that's the most common mistake of the average golfer: not letting your core and the club do all the work for you.

I was amazed when working through things how much better the ball would jump off my club with a better swing and way less effort. Keeping a good radius throughout the swing, having my hands in the right place, and getting good core rotation all the way through my follow-through. I'm still not a good golfer, but I'm much less bad. Basically, I've gone from a 105-115 golfer to an 85-95 golfer off just those two lessons and subsequent practice. Getting the ball consistently in the air with the irons makes a huge difference in your score at the entry level.

Next step for me is, just as Zeke suggested, working on the short game. For me, I give away way too many shots within 20 yards of the pin. If I can tighten up that part of my game, I can hopefully get down into the high-70s/low-80s. But that is a matter of practice, practice, practice.

Golf is such a frustrating game (I refuse to call it a sport because I see out of shape guys that are drinking and smoking that kick my butt). I've shot 81 a bunch of times but have never shot in the 70's. Several times I've had high 60's with 2 holes to go and blow up the last holes. My brain gets in the way of my swing. This year, I've played much less than I have in the past. My game has suffered because of it. I've played fewer than 10 times this year and only broken 90 twice.

The ironic part is that I play less because my daughter (age 8) really picked it up. I spend my weekends with her on the range instead of on the course myself. My driver has improved but my short game and irons are awful (I guess I should probably practice those clubs instead of the driver haha). Next summer, I think she'll be able to play with me and not slow down play too much. By the way, she nearly hit a hole-in-one a few weeks back. It was a 100 yard (for the kids) par 3. She pulled out the three wood and the ball rolled right by the hole. Maybe an inch off line. It finished a few feet from the hole. I told her that if that had went in, I would have giving up the game. I have come so close to a hole in one so many times without getting one; if my 8 year old beat me to it I'm not sure I am mentally strong enough to continue.

Tripping William
09-06-2018, 10:32 AM
Golf is such a frustrating game (I refuse to call it a sport because I see out of shape guys that are drinking and smoking that kick my butt). I've shot 81 a bunch of times but have never shot in the 70's. Several times I've had high 60's with 2 holes to go and blow up the last holes. My brain gets in the way of my swing. This year, I've played much less than I have in the past. My game has suffered because of it. I've played fewer than 10 times this year and only broken 90 twice.

The ironic part is that I play less because my daughter (age 8) really picked it up. I spend my weekends with her on the range instead of on the course myself. My driver has improved but my short game and irons are awful (I guess I should probably practice those clubs instead of the driver haha). Next summer, I think she'll be able to play with me and not slow down play too much. By the way, she nearly hit a hole-in-one a few weeks back. It was a 100 yard (for the kids) par 3. She pulled out the three wood and the ball rolled right by the hole. Maybe an inch off line. It finished a few feet from the hole. I told her that if that had went in, I would have giving up the game. I have come so close to a hole in one so many times without getting one; if my 8 year old beat me to it I'm not sure I am mentally strong enough to continue.

So, you've seen John Daly play? :o

I have been a bit further down this road, and it is humbling. But also wonderfully enjoyable to see a youngster love the game and thrive at playing it.

We have a really fun, and I think rather effective, short-game drill for the practice green. We call it "Chip 21." Each player chips a ball from off the green to a designated hole. The person closest to the hole always gets 1 point for being closest. Then:

A hole-out is 3 points (making a total of 4, unless both players hole-out); or
Making the ensuing "par" putt is 2 points; or
Two-putting is 1 point; or
Three putts or more is 0 points.

The first player to 21 points wins.

We do the same drill with putting ("Putt 21"), in order to practice longer, lag putts. It's great because it simulates real golf (playing a single ball, from different lies and distances, all the way into the hole), with some friendly competition-style pressure. It takes maybe 20 minutes or so each round, and can be played with more than two players (if someone is diligent about keeping track of the score). It has helped my short game immensely, although I rarely win (back to the "humbling" part).

Fun stuff!

left_hook_lacey
09-06-2018, 10:40 AM

Luckily, we were playing on a very open course. Most of my really bad slices ended up on another fairway, as I mentioned in my OP. The hole I mentioned I almost drove the green on, 310 yard hole, could probably be considered a power fade type shot. That's basically what the shot looks like when I hit it less terrible than the ones that end up in another fairway if I don't aim way left. But they were few and far between. I hit two miracle 3 wood shots from another fairway, through trees, that sliced around and put me back in great shape. I was well behind the 200 yard marker on the cart path. I also mentioned having to hit a lot of punch outs to get back in play. Luckily, I also played those about as good as I could have, which included some luck.

I think you're right. When I hit it less-slicey, it could be considered a power fade I suppose. But there were plenty that went about 250, that started left and had me barely in play on the right by the time it stopped. Definitely a slice. I guess that's the problem and why I don't feel comfortable with it. If it was a 300 yard power fade every time, I would have no problem learning where to aim left and letting it find it's home in the middle of the fairway. But I can't control it. I would be aiming left and hoping for the best, rather than being in control of where it stopped. Another reason I feel like it's a terrible slice and not an intentional power fade, is that I can't hook it left to save the farm, and I have tried all sorts of gimmicks during the round.

So, maybe change my user name to Right-Slice Lacey? Or Left-Hook Oneday?

PS. I have video of several of my swings that day. I told my buddy at the beginning of the round to secretly record me during a couple of swings so I could look at it later, or send it to someone that knows what they're doing. He got a couple of me hitting 3 wood 200-220+ if anyone is interested. He texted them to me, and they came through grainy because the phone downgraded the quality. But I could get him to email them to me or something.

rsvman
09-06-2018, 10:43 AM
That is exactly what I do, almost intentionally I would say. My swing feels more like around the waist than anything. I think I slowly developed that habit over the years thinking it was helping me come more from the inside. I also don't know what to do with my hands around impact. I hear/read so many different things. Rotate your right wrist(for RH) through impact so it's facing up towards the sky when waist high the follow through, don't rotate your wrist at all, that's called flipping or casting, if you're swing is correct, there is no need to do anything with your wrists....etc. etc.

Counterintuitively, taking the club back INSIDE like you do actually commonly leads to the over-the-top move and cutting across the ball.

Pull up a YouTube video of Justin Thomas hitting an iron shot and watch the move he practices right before he hits each and every shot. Practice that move yourself. Just take a club back until your arms are parallel to the ground and make sure the clubhead is outside your hands.

This one simple change could make a big difference.

CDu
09-06-2018, 12:09 PM

Holing it on a par 3 is my new athletic goal, alongside bowling a 300 and dunking (though as I close on 40 that last dream may be dying very soon). I've within 18 inches countless times, but haven't quite gotten it. Recently, I came about 10 inches from flying one in with my 7-iron from 155. It was almost exactly on line with the pin, but missed the flag by an inch or so and skidded to a few feet from the hole. I'm hopeful it will happen eventually.

Playing frequently enough is definitely my challenge. I've played par-3 courses a handful of times this year, but only twice have I been able to play a full course. I shot a 93 my first time out this year and 88 the other time. Having an almost 4-year-old and trying to finish school is really crimping my style. :)

left_hook_lacey
09-06-2018, 12:12 PM
Counterintuitively, taking the club back INSIDE like you do actually commonly leads to the over-the-top move and cutting across the ball.

Pull up a YouTube video of Justin Thomas hitting an iron shot and watch the move he practices right before he hits each and every shot. Practice that move yourself. Just take a club back until your arms are parallel to the ground and make sure the clubhead is outside your hands.

Excited to try. Thanks.

left_hook_lacey
09-06-2018, 12:47 PM
Holing it on a par 3 is my new athletic goal, alongside bowling a 300 and dunking (though as I close on 40 that last dream may be dying very soon). I've within 18 inches countless times, but haven't quite gotten it. Recently, I came about 10 inches from flying one in with my 7-iron from 155. It was almost exactly on line with the pin, but missed the flag by an inch or so and skidded to a few feet from the hole. I'm hopeful it will happen eventually.

Playing frequently enough is definitely my challenge. I've played par-3 courses a handful of times this year, but only twice have I been able to play a full course. I shot a 93 my first time out this year and 88 the other time. Having an almost 4-year-old and trying to finish school is really crimping my style. :)

18 inches from dunking or from the hole in one? :o

I was able to dunk in 9th grade at 5'7"-5'8" and once I hit my growth spurt, I could get up high enough to throw one down from time to time in a game. I would trade all of that to be able to hit a golf ball and bend it either way on command. Maybe that's easy to say now because I know dunking is in the rear view mirror, while golf I can play for a long long time hopefully. :)

CDu
09-06-2018, 01:02 PM
18 inches from dunking or from the hole in one? :o

I was able to dunk in 9th grade at 5'7"-5'8" and once I hit my growth spurt, I could get up high enough to throw one down from time to time in a game. I would trade all of that to be able to hit a golf ball and bend it either way on command. Maybe that's easy to say now because I know dunking is in the rear view mirror, while golf I can play for a long long time hopefully. :)

;) Dunking I've come within an inch or two many many times. I could dunk a volleyball or two tennis balls (one with each hand), but couldn't quite palm a bball. So I had to get up a little higher to dunk a bball, and never quite got there. And running out of years left for that to be an option.

cato
09-06-2018, 02:07 PM
Luckily, we were playing on a very open course. Most of my really bad slices ended up on another fairway, as I mentioned in my OP. The hole I mentioned I almost drove the green on, 310 yard hole, could probably be considered a power fade type shot. That's basically what the shot looks like when I hit it less terrible than the ones that end up in another fairway if I don't aim way left. But they were few and far between. I hit two miracle 3 wood shots from another fairway, through trees, that sliced around and put me back in great shape. I was well behind the 200 yard marker on the cart path. I also mentioned having to hit a lot of punch outs to get back in play. Luckily, I also played those about as good as I could have, which included some luck.

I think you're right. When I hit it less-slicey, it could be considered a power fade I suppose. But there were plenty that went about 250, that started left and had me barely in play on the right by the time it stopped. Definitely a slice. I guess that's the problem and why I don't feel comfortable with it. If it was a 300 yard power fade every time, I would have no problem learning where to aim left and letting it find it's home in the middle of the fairway. But I can't control it. I would be aiming left and hoping for the best, rather than being in control of where it stopped. Another reason I feel like it's a terrible slice and not an intentional power fade, is that I can't hook it left to save the farm, and I have tried all sorts of gimmicks during the round.

So, maybe change my user name to Right-Slice Lacey? Or Left-Hook Oneday?

PS. I have video of several of my swings that day. I told my buddy at the beginning of the round to secretly record me during a couple of swings so I could look at it later, or send it to someone that knows what they're doing. He got a couple of me hitting 3 wood 200-220+ if anyone is interested. He texted them to me, and they came through grainy because the phone downgraded the quality. But I could get him to email them to me or something.

I played a fair amount before college and was decent, not great. Shot in the 80s in high school.

I got bigger and stronger in college, played less, and developed the slice you are talking about. It alway lies in wait for me. There is no easy fix. But the thing that helps me most is tempo, backswing and being aware of how far I take the club back. If I take it back too far, I will almost never get the club face square at the point of contact.

Indoor66
09-06-2018, 02:23 PM
I played a fair amount before college and was decent, not great. Shot in the 80s in high school.

I got bigger and stronger in college, played less, and developed the slice you are talking about. It alway lies in wait for me. There is no easy fix. But the thing that helps me most is tempo, backswing and being aware of how far I take the club back. If I take it back too far, I will almost never get the club face square at the point of contact.

Your 2nd paragraph problem is addressed by my counting to four drill to maintain tempo. 1 = takeaway, 2 = downswing, 3 = ball contact, 4 = follow through.

left_hook_lacey
09-06-2018, 03:07 PM
;) Dunking I've come within an inch or two many many times. I could dunk a volleyball or two tennis balls (one with each hand), but couldn't quite palm a bball. So I had to get up a little higher to dunk a bball, and never quite got there. And running out of years left for that to be an option.

This is what helped me. I practiced palming the ball all the time growing up. I would drink a coke or milk, and then lick my fingers to make them more tacky, and eventually I could palm it without the aids of poor boy stick'um.

We used to always practice dunking by throwing it up and letting it bounce once and trying to catch it on the way down. It looked harder, but was actually easier because you didn't have to carry the ball with you or worry about palming it.

rsvman
09-06-2018, 04:25 PM
I could reverse dunk in high school.

I got a hole-in-one when I was 17 years old. Interestingly, the ball landed in the cup on the fly (technically, it landed about 1/2 inch short of the cup and right on line, plowed through the grass above the cup and didn't hit the flagstick until it was already below the level of the green, which is how it stayed in). Pretty amazing.

Since then I've had multiple shots on par 3s that hit the flagstick, either on the fly or on one bounce, but none went down. I've also had tee shots that stopped 4 inches from the cup, and several more that were within about 12 inches. But no more holes-in-one.

I don't think hitting a HIO is a very good goal. Better to make a goal to get an eagle on a par 5, or something like that. HIOs are so arbitrary.

CDu
09-06-2018, 04:39 PM
I don't think hitting a HIO is a very good goal. Better to make a goal to get an eagle on a par 5, or something like that. HIOs are so arbitrary.

Of course it is arbitrary. Doesn't make it any less meaningful of a personal goal. It's more of a "bucket list" type of goal than a measure of progress. I'm not looking to make the tour or anything; just want to be able to say I did it.

rasputin
09-06-2018, 05:20 PM
Of course it is arbitrary. Doesn't make it any less meaningful of a personal goal. It's more of a "bucket list" type of goal than a measure of progress. I'm not looking to make the tour or anything; just want to be able to say I did it.

I have been very close on three occasions, but never got one. When I was about 8 or 9, I wound up just an inch short on a ground ball that must have bounced 30 times. Twice in more recent years I have had a ball mark a few inches short, and the ball wound up an inch or two behind the hole, so it must have lipped out.

My mom had 3 holes in one, all within a few years' time, when she was in her 50's. My dad never got one, and was jealous.

nmduke2001
09-06-2018, 05:48 PM

CDu, you've seen that picture I took of the worst birdie in history. The a ball landed a few inches from the hole, bounced, hit the pin right at the hole and then bounced out a few inches away. I've had maybe 10 that were seriously close to going in. On one occasion, I came pretty close but I was playing twilight by myself. Not a soul in sight. That would have been a bummer to make one then.

I have a buddy that made one in a charity event and won an Audi. He can't break 100. He told me he literally closed his eyes on the downswing....

In high school I could dunk a volleyball and we had a rim in the axillary gym that was real lose and maybe an inch shy of 10 feet. I could get a basketball down on that off the bounce. I tried to touch the rim a few months back at the park near my house. I nicked the little thing that holds the net in place (what is that called?). Later that day, my knees hurt and my back hurt. Guess I'm done with that.

I hope to hit a hole in one, break 80 and maybe play in every state before I'm done. I have 8 states down (CDu, I'm counting the par 3 we played in Myrtle).

HereBeforeCoachK
09-06-2018, 05:50 PM
I have been very close on three occasions, but never got one. When I was about 8 or 9, I wound up just an inch short on a ground ball that must have bounced 30 times. Twice in more recent years I have had a ball mark a few inches short, and the ball wound up an inch or two behind the hole, so it must have lipped out.

My mom had 3 holes in one, all within a few years' time, when she was in her 50's. My dad never got one, and was jealous.

I have 2, official, which for a pretty mediocre golfer is good. Carolina Country Club #4, 236 uphill at the time. Knocked in a 3 wood. River Ridge 15, 185 that day...also uphill hole...December, cold, managed to turn on a four iron with a baby draw. Due to undulations on the greens, I never saw either actually roll in, but had witnesses both times.

Bought a boat, spent family time instead of guy time, and hardly played in 15 years. I've had a ton of boats though!

Reisen
09-06-2018, 06:27 PM
My FiL hit a hole in one years ago. Evidently I was there, witnessed it, and signed the scorecard. I have absolutely ZERO memory of it.

It came up a few months back, when we were playing the hole with 2 others, and he reminisced about it. I remarked that I didn't know what he was talking about. I think he thought I was gaslighting him on purpose or something. When we got home, he pulled out the framed scorecard, with my signature. I think he was actually legitimately pissed that I didn't remember it (this was like a decade ago).

Maybe I'm getting alzheimers. I'm late 30s, no other memory problems, but who knows?

mkirsh
09-07-2018, 09:37 AM

Lots of good suggestions so far to fight a slice, but here are two more, just to give you even more things to think about (I know I always play better with more swing thoughts ;)):
- At address make sure you have axis tilt away from the target (for a right hand golfer this means right shoulder lower than left and spine tilted away from target). It's impossible to swing from the inside without some axis/spine tilt (but just a little, don't overdo it)
- You are probably too steep on the downswing, so try a drill like this to shallow out the club (beware of getting stuck in the instagram/youtube golf instruction black hole, but there is a lot of good stuff out there)
https://www.instagram.com/p/BnMKo5CAEvI/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

However, take all of this with a grain of salt as I'm most certainly not an instructor, only a 14 handicap, have not hit a hole in one in 25 years of golf, can't dunk a basketball, and did not stay in a holiday inn express last night.

rsvman
09-07-2018, 11:05 AM

To each his own, and you are free to set any kind of goal you want, but to me it doesn't make any sense to set as a goal something over which you have virtually no control. It's like setting a goal to win the lottery. It's not a goal, it's a wish.

I hope you get one. Maybe this is just a semantics problem. I have no problem at all with "I hope I hit a hole-in-one," it's just the idea of having a "goal" to hit a hole-in-one that I'm grappling with. So like I said, maybe it's just a semantic issue.

Probably the best way of achieving it is to set intermediate goals that increase the likelihood of the outcome. Maybe have a goal to "take dead aim" on all par 3s and to swing freely and in rhythm on all par 3 tee shots.

Turk
09-07-2018, 05:57 PM
A buddy of mine claims "one with an asterisk". On a par 3 all carry over water, he plopped one in the drink. Reloaded from the tee and holed the next one. Double bittersweet because he didn't see it go in because of the contours of the green. "Nice par..."

left_hook_lacey
06-24-2019, 10:51 AM

Update:

The other golf thread reminded of this one I started and wanted to update those that have offered advice. While I haven't played much at all, and have not taken lessons, I watch some of the more popular videos suggested by others before I go play and I had a break through this weekend which is in line with RSVMAN's suggestion from last fall. I had started playing worse and couldn't hit a straight drive to save my life. Huge banana slice drives that were going about 260 yards down the fairway before making a sharp right turn deep into the woods. I used to hit one or two per round like that from time to time, but I was doing it every shot, with every club.

I finally realized that I was taking the club too far inside which was causing me to swing too hard and cut across the ball coming outside in on the downswing. I watched a couple of Mike M's, and "Me & My Golf" you tube videos for drills to correct this.

Using clubs, I created a swing line diagonally across the target line to visually show me the direction the club should approach the target and follow-through after impact. It took me several swings for this to feel right. The first time I did it, I didn't think I would even make contact with the ball. And then, EUREKA!!

I hit one about 80% swing power, straight down the fairyway about 280 yards. I hit two more that were mirror shots of that one on the next two holes. Then, on a par 4 396, I hit a slight draw, that ended up about 60 yards off the front of the green on a tight fairway. I was in shock. I was so excited I could barely contain myself as I was trying to hold it in as some of my fellow golfers were struggling. I was trying to act like it was business as usual.

Then on a 505 yard par 5, I hit my drive well enough I had about 170 yards left. I hit a slight draw 7 iron within 15 feet of the pin on a small heavily guarded green. Sand and water all around. I got par, but we won' talk about that in this post. :cool:

Anyway, the point being, this little drill has solve a whole plethora of problems for me. I use the same mental vision of that inside out aim sticks even when hitting my irons, and at one point, I had actually started drawing them too much left and missing the green, something that I thought would never be possible for me. I actually had to start hitting down a club or two because I was making such great contact, I was flying my target because of the distance I was getting with each club and I wasn't used to it. I didn't shank a ball all day. Sure, there were times I missed my target, but I didn't hit it thin, fat, shanked left or right, nothing.

Beginners' luck? Maybe, but I have never felt more confident standing over the ball as I was by the end of this round.

I only ended up with an 87, one shot off my personal best. However, I got my self in trouble on some holes because of the distance control with the new found contact on irons. And I left many, many putts on the green. An embarassing amount. I missed two eagle putts and several birdie putts within 5 feet. Also, the course we were playing was much much more difficult than the one I shot the 87 on.

I need to play again soon so I don't lose that feeling and get it into my muscle memory.

Tripping William
06-24-2019, 12:04 PM
Update:

The other golf thread reminded of this one I started and wanted to update those that have offered advice. While I haven't played much at all, and have not taken lessons, I watch some of the more popular videos suggested by others before I go play and I had a break through this weekend which is in line with RSVMAN's suggestion from last fall. I had started playing worse and couldn't hit a straight drive to save my life. Huge banana slice drives that were going about 260 yards down the fairway before making a sharp right turn deep into the woods. I used to hit one or two per round like that from time to time, but I was doing it every shot, with every club.

I finally realized that I was taking the club too far inside which was causing me to swing too hard and cut across the ball coming outside in on the downswing. I watched a couple of Mike M's, and "Me & My Golf" you tube videos for drills to correct this.

Using clubs, I created a swing line diagonally across the target line to visually show me the direction the club should approach the target and follow-through after impact. It took me several swings for this to feel right. The first time I did it, I didn't think I would even make contact with the ball. And then, EUREKA!!

I hit one about 80% swing power, straight down the fairyway about 280 yards. I hit two more that were mirror shots of that one on the next two holes. Then, on a par 4 396, I hit a slight draw, that ended up about 60 yards off the front of the green on a tight fairway. I was in shock. I was so excited I could barely contain myself as I was trying to hold it in as some of my fellow golfers were struggling. I was trying to act like it was business as usual.

Then on a 505 yard par 5, I hit my drive well enough I had about 170 yards left. I hit a slight draw 7 iron within 15 feet of the pin on a small heavily guarded green. Sand and water all around. I got par, but we won' talk about that in this post. :cool:

Anyway, the point being, this little drill has solve a whole plethora of problems for me. I use the same mental vision of that inside out aim sticks even when hitting my irons, and at one point, I had actually started drawing them too much left and missing the green, something that I thought would never be possible for me. I actually had to start hitting down a club or two because I was making such great contact, I was flying my target because of the distance I was getting with each club and I wasn't used to it. I didn't shank a ball all day. Sure, there were times I missed my target, but I didn't hit it thin, fat, shanked left or right, nothing.

Beginners' luck? Maybe, but I have never felt more confident standing over the ball as I was by the end of this round.

I only ended up with an 87, one shot off my personal best. However, I got my self in trouble on some holes because of the distance control with the new found contact on irons. And I left many, many putts on the green. An embarassing amount. I missed two eagle putts and several birdie putts within 5 feet. Also, the course we were playing was much much more difficult than the one I shot the 87 on.

I need to play again soon so I don't lose that feeling and get it into my muscle memory.

Congrats on the “find” (it’s a joy when it happens), and the near-best round (that brings joy, too)!

And , FWIW, I am a big fan of the Me & My Golf guys. Their online tips have been very helpful for me.

Reilly
06-24-2019, 12:49 PM
... you are free to set any kind of goal you want, but to me it doesn't make any sense to set as a goal something over which you have virtually no control ...

I take it you were not among John Delaney's and Joe Sestak's advisors advising a presidential run?

I'd think there are some inputs that increase the odds of getting a hole-in-one: play golf 2x/day rather than 1x/week ... play courses with holes where it's doable ... study the timing of the windmill blade ...

rsvman
06-30-2019, 01:41 PM
Thanks for the update.
I'm glad I was able to make a suggestion that actually helped! Woo-hoo!

OZZIE4DUKE
07-01-2019, 07:11 AM
One lesson, a new set of irons and a new driver, and I had a very good weekend!

rsvman
07-01-2019, 11:55 PM

Nice!!!

left_hook_lacey
07-02-2019, 06:37 AM
Heading out to North Shore golf club this morning at North Topsail island. Here's to keeping up progress.

I'm a little sore from being on the beach, playing with the kids the last few days. And also a little sun burnt, so I have excuses at the ready if my magic swing decides to leave me. 😂

devildeac
07-02-2019, 07:48 AM
Heading out to North Shore golf club this morning at North Topsail island. Here's to keeping up progress.

I'm a little sore from being on the beach, playing with the kids the last few days. And also a little sun burnt, so I have excuses at the ready if my magic swing decides to leave me. 😂

This might make a nice stop after playing 18 holes:

https://saltyturtlebeer.com/

left_hook_lacey
07-02-2019, 07:52 AM
This might make a nice stop after playing 18 holes:

https://saltyturtlebeer.com/

Fun fact, I had a Salty Turtle blonde on the way in this weekend at Rick's just before the bridge. Had no idea there was a brewery in Surf City so we're gonna try to get down there before the week is over.

devildeac
07-02-2019, 07:59 AM
Fun fact, I had a Salty Turtle blonde on the way in this weekend at Rick's just before the bridge. Had no idea there was a brewery in Surf City so we're gonna try to get down there before the week is over.

You must have missed these reports in March, 2018:

https://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?3840-Ymm-Beer&p=1051786&highlight=salty+turtle#post1051786

:D

elvis14
07-03-2019, 01:47 PM

Two thoughts: First, don't tell the wife about having a blonde at Ricks :-). Second, Ricks is great! When we take day trips to the beach we often go to North Topsail b/c of the ample parking and relatively sparse crowds. We always find ourselves eating at Ricks before we drive home.

left_hook_lacey
07-05-2019, 02:18 PM
Two thoughts: First, don't tell the wife about having a blonde at Ricks :-). Second, Ricks is great! When we take day trips to the beach we often go to North Topsail b/c of the ample parking and relatively sparse crowds. We always find ourselves eating at Ricks before we drive home.

It is a great location to get a nice meal either on the way in or on the way home. I had the scallops and they were perfect.

As for my golf outing, still some work left to do. I had some things working against me right to start with.....

The course was tough
I had never played there before
It was extremely hot/humid
I was slightly hungover
We starting having beers again by the 6th hole :cool:

With all those excuses out of the way, I was still hitting drives consistently around 270-280 at about 75% power. I did get a couple over 300, but nothing like my last trip and I had a couple of slices that crept back in out of nowhere. Old habits are hard to break. Those shots usually appear after getting too comfortable with my new swing and not focusing on my swing path. It's still not in my muscle memory yet.

I hit mid irons pretty good. My biggest problem with irons now is the tendency to draw the ball too far left and miss the green, especially from par 3 tee boxes. That's a new problem. I think I need to weaken my grip a little when I go down to the shorter irons.

But my biggest downfall of all was putting and wedges. I just couldn't score well when I got up there in regulation.

Long story short, last three rounds were...

Personal Best 87 (Fairly Easy Course)
Personal Best 86 (Slightly Tougher Course)
Back to reality 98 (Much tougher Course)

Tripping William
07-05-2019, 02:32 PM
It is a great location to get a nice meal either on the way in or on the way home. I had the scallops and they were perfect.

As for my golf outing, still some work left to do. I had some things working against me right to start with....

The course was tough
I had never played there before
It was extremely hot/humid
I was slightly hungover
We starting having beers again by the 6th hole :cool:

With all those excuses out of the way, I was still hitting drives consistently around 270-280 at about 75% power. I did get a couple over 300, but nothing like my last trip and I had a couple of slices that crept back in out of nowhere. Old habits are hard to break. Those shots usually appear after getting too comfortable with my new swing and not focusing on my swing path. It's still not in my muscle memory yet.

I hit mid irons pretty good. My biggest problem with irons now is the tendency to draw the ball too far left and miss the green, especially from par 3 tee boxes. That's a new problem. I think I need to weaken my grip a little when I go down to the shorter irons.

But my biggest downfall of all was putting and wedges. I just couldn't score well when I got up there in regulation.

Long story short, last three rounds were...

Personal Best 87 (Fairly Easy Course)
Personal Best 86 (Slightly Tougher Course)
Back to reality 98 (Much tougher Course)

Don't get discouraged. Sounds like a little regression-to-the-mean going on; we (all of us) only play our best golf about 10% of the time, by definition. And usually not when hungover . . . . . :o

Plus, depending on the tees you played, North Shore can be difficult. I haven't played there in maybe 10 years, but it's not terribly forgiving (and the 135 or 140 Slope for the course reflects that).

elvis14
07-05-2019, 03:25 PM
I've had an interesting year with golf. Most years, I play 4 rounds on my yearly golf trip to Myrtle Beach and maybe another 2 rounds all year. As my kids have gotten older, however, this year I've found myself playing much more often. Two guys at work have taken up the game and they have been a catalyst for me getting out more often. They are pretty awful so I don't feel any external pressure to score. Then I started playing in a weekly league for the first time in about a decade. So in the last 7 months I've played more than I have in a very long time.

There is good and bad to this. The good to this is that some days my game seems to coming back to me. The bad is that other days, like yesterday, I feel like I'm trying to figure out which end of the club to hold! The first 4 weeks of golf league: 53, 40, 54, 46. The 53 was just a struggle and the only reason I scored even that well is that I hit a few putts and the league allows a mulligan. The 40 was surreal. I only hit 1 putt but the game seemed easy that day. All my drives were in the fairway. The 54, I hit the driver in the fairway all day and literally couldn't hit any other club in my bag. The 46 was a day where I played better than I scored (took a snowman on a par 3 after being 100 yards out and sculling my second shot over the green, etc., I also double bogeyed the first 2 holes because I hit irons so well they went long..and long was bad on those holes). For 3 weeks, I didn't miss a fairway with my driver. Then yesterday, there wasn't a club in my bag I could hit, not even my driver.

My MO has usually been that I'm not that bad but I'll have just enough bad holes to kill my score (kind of like that 46).

When I don't play much, I have no expectations. As I've started to play more and have had some success, I've started to expect more of myself. Somedays that makes me my own worst enemy. I think my current goal is realistic since I'm playing 9 weekly and about 2 more rounds a month. That goal is to end the year playing bogey golf. Most days I don't think I'm that far off, just need to hit a few more putts (which often times means chipping better) and avoid at least one of the 3-4 big numbers.

Anyway, here's hoping that as I play more the clunkers come less often. I do try to hit a bucket when I play, generally picking one thing work on (other than just warming up). I am enjoying playing again and enjoy walking the 9 on Thursday nights (when I'm not just walking into the woods to find my ball all day).

devildeac
07-05-2019, 03:43 PM

Going next weekend? You're invited to our place for a beverage. We'd both get in a lot of trouble having a blonde at Rick's.

:rolleyes::o

Indoor66
07-05-2019, 04:27 PM
Going next weekend? You're invited to our place for a beverage. We'd both get in a lot of trouble having a blonde at Rick's.

Especially if you gamble.

devildeac
07-05-2019, 05:14 PM
Especially if you gamble.

"I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here!"

Indoor66
07-05-2019, 05:18 PM
"Play it Sam. Play it again...."

devildeac
07-05-2019, 06:32 PM
"Play it Sam. Play it again..."

One of the most misquoted lines in movie history. Here's what a couple sources claim is the correct dialogue:

"Ilsa Lund: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.

Sam: [lying] I don't know what you mean, Miss Elsa.

Ilsa Lund: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

Sam: [lying] Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Elsa. I'm a little rusty on it."

;)

Indoor66
07-05-2019, 06:53 PM
One of the most misquoted lines in movie history. Here's what a couple sources claim is the correct dialogue:

"Ilsa Lund: Play it once, Sam. For old times' sake.

Sam: [lying] I don't know what you mean, Miss Elsa.

Ilsa Lund: Play it, Sam. Play "As Time Goes By."

Sam: [lying] Oh, I can't remember it, Miss Elsa. I'm a little rusty on it."

;)

I got close without looking it up.😂

elvis14
07-06-2019, 10:11 AM

Sadly, we are not. Wish we were, I'd love to have a beverage. I'll try reach out next time we are heading that way. Running a charity, having teenagers and trying to resurrect my golf game takes up time on the weekends!

OZZIE4DUKE
07-11-2019, 11:54 PM
While I hit the new Titleist AP1 irons well most of the time, I wondered if the lofts were all correct as I seemed to hit a couple of adjacent irons close to the same distance. So I took them into Golf Galaxy yesterday and they checked the loft and lie of all 9 irons for free ( I didn’t buy them there). All lofts were exactly correct, matching the specs they looked up! Nice to know!

Also, they have an in house golf instruction group in the store, GolfTec, and they offer an extensive 1 1/2 hour video swing analysis, including donning a harness so they can measure all sorts of angles while you swing. My swing o is so inconsistent that I have signed up to do this next Tuesday! I think it will be $125 well spent. I’ll let y’all know afterwards.

Tripping William
07-12-2019, 12:00 PM
While I hit the new Titleist AP1 irons well most of the time, I wondered if the lofts were all correct as I seemed to hit a couple of adjacent irons close to the same distance. So I took them into Golf Galaxy yesterday and they checked the loft and lie of all 9 irons for free ( I didn’t buy them there). All lofts were exactly correct, matching the specs they looked up! Nice to know!

Also, they have an in house golf instruction group in the store, GolfTec, and they offer an extensive 1 1/2 hour video swing analysis, including donning a harness so they can measure all sorts of angles while you swing. My swing o is so inconsistent that I have signed up to do this next Tuesday! I think it will be $125 well spent. I’ll let y’all know afterwards.

Yeah, the Boditrack (https://boditrakperformance.com/golf/) stuff is really interesting (assuming that's what GolfTec uses). I haven't done it myself, but my son did a couple of years ago, and the 3D images are fascinating. Keep us apprised!

elvis14
07-12-2019, 04:15 PM
Followup to my last post. As I mentioned, I played July 4th and couldn't have played worse (it was throw your whole golf bag in a pond bad). Golf league yesterday, I go out and play pretty well. Basically hit 8 of 9 tee shots great, had one other really bad shot that cost me. Didn't hit a ton of greens but didn't miss by much either. Had 4 pars and hit 2 or 3 decent putts. A nice simple round, relaxing and enjoyable. Hopefully next week I can play similarly and break this good/bad/good/bad pattern.

Now that discussion about golf balls....