PDA

View Full Version : Late Signing Period

PeteZaHut
05-17-2017, 01:45 PM
From my understanding the late signing period ends today. Bamba said somewhere that he would commit sometime well before the draft. Is today the deadline, or can you commit after the end of the late signing period? If so, what's the point of having an end to the late signing period?

Kedsy
05-17-2017, 01:50 PM
From my understanding the late signing period ends today. Bamba said somewhere that he would commit sometime well before the draft. Is today the deadline, or can you commit after the end of the late signing period? If so, what's the point of having an end to the late signing period?

You can commit anytime before the start of classes. After the signing period, you just can't sign a commitment letter.

Troublemaker
05-17-2017, 01:51 PM

He can commit afterwards.

The National Letter of Intent is more useful for lower-rated recruits (i.e. 99% of high school players) to lock in their spots with their chosen schools. It's also useful for schools to get that binding commitment so they can plan their rosters.

Bamba is big-time enough to not care about that. He knows he has a place once he decides.

English
05-17-2017, 02:02 PM
The Mo Bamba recruitment is pretty funny--I don't have any beef with him taking his time and playing his recruitment out as he chooses, but I'm fascinated to know what the missing pieces are remaining in Mo's decision. At face value, you'd think the NBA Draft deadline would be the major one, although there aren't many unknowns left on his school list. Perhaps the UM guys? Duval might've been a chess piece left on the board until recently.

To my knowledge, UK and UT don't have any loose ends at this point, no? Jarrett Allen is gone. Bam Adebayo is gone. I suppose Hamidou Diallo is still a bit in limbo.

BigWayne
05-17-2017, 02:57 PM
He can commit afterwards.

The National Letter of Intent is more useful for lower-rated recruits (i.e. 99% of high school players) to lock in their spots with their chosen schools. It's also useful for schools to get that binding commitment so they can plan their rosters.

Bamba is big-time enough to not care about that. He knows he has a place once he decides.

You do not have to sign an LOI to get a scholarship unless the school makes you. For top recruits, they gain nothing by signing the LOI, but give up a lot.

https://sports.vice.com/en_us/article/why-top-ncaa-recruits-shouldnt-sign-national-letters-of-intent