PDA

View Full Version : The Orville: Seth MacFarlane's new TV series in space!

JasonEvans
05-17-2017, 12:58 PM
The first trailer for Seth's new TV series just dropped... and I think I love the premise! Seth is consistently funny (even A Million Ways to Die in the West had plenty of funny moments) and Star Trek is certainly fertile ground for spoofing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yy9sKeCE8V0

-Jason "I won't be even mildly surprised if this turns into a hit. It could use a bit more star power in the cast, but I'll certainly check it out this fall" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
05-17-2017, 02:01 PM
Galaxy Quest was in the works to be a TV series (on Amazon) but the death of Alan Rickman forced them to pull the plug. Looks like this one can be a worthy replacement.

CameronBornAndBred
05-17-2017, 02:10 PM
Oh cool! I looked at IMDB, and noticed some familiar director names.

Jonathan Frakes (Will Riker/TNG) and Robert Duncan McNeill (Lt. Tom Paris/Voyager) are both on board. Both have been mostly directing since their Star Trek days, will be fun to see what they do. Braga also has an extensive Star Trek resume. Plus Jon Favreau, bonus!

Series Directed by

Brannon Braga (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0103804/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr1)
(1 episode, 2017)

James L. Conway (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0176702/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr2)
(1 episode, 2017)

Jon Favreau (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0269463/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr3)
(1 episode, 2017)

Jonathan Frakes (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000408/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr4)
(1 episode, 2017)

Seth MacFarlane (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0532235/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr5)
(1 episode, 2017)

Robert Duncan McNeill (http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000536/?ref_=ttfc_fc_dr6)
(1 episode, 2017)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt5691552/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2017, 11:15 PM
Anyone watch it? I pulled it up on our DVR tonight, and we both liked it, at least a lot more than the critics. It wasn't quite the humor loaded satire I expected; in fact I'd say it's not satire at all. It's simply sci-fi with humorous moments tossed in. I was thinking it would be more in the vein of Galaxy Quest, which did an awesome job of making fun of the genre.
The Orville doesn't do that at all, but plays more like any standard humor driven drama that simply happens to be set in space in the 2400s.
One favorite moment was when someone apologized for getting a name wrong. The reply was basically "that happens with a new crew". I thought back to the first time McFarlane got on board and met his officers, introducing themselves one by one. I thought to myself "I'll never remember all of them". I still don't!

Long story short, screw the critics. I thought it was lots of fun, although a bit clunky at time as it balanced that satire vs comedy element. Looking forward to the rest of the season.

(PS...I loved how the Orville took actual damage as opposed to every other ship in every other show getting shot to hell and coming out unscathed.)

Season premiere was directed by Favreau.

brevity
09-12-2017, 12:26 AM
Anyone watch it? I pulled it up on our DVR tonight, and we both liked it, at least a lot more than the critics. It wasn't quite the humor loaded satire I expected; in fact I'd say it's not satire at all. It's simply sci-fi with humorous moments tossed in.

Yeah, I feel like the people who are most disappointed are the ones who built some unilateral expectation based on "Star Trek" and "Seth MacFarlane". It's occasionally irreverent, but the funniest parts to me were the Next Generation mimicry when the drama gets heightened just a bit and the music swells before each commercial break. It was remarkably, unabashedly NOT original. It was the opposite of a gritty reboot. And it was spot on.

LasVegas
09-12-2017, 01:20 AM
Yeah, I feel like the people who are most disappointed are the ones who built some unilateral expectation based on "Star Trek" and "Seth MacFarlane". It's occasionally irreverent, but the funniest parts to me were the Next Generation mimicry when the drama gets heightened just a bit and the music swells before each commercial break. It was remarkably, unabashedly NOT original. It was the opposite of a gritty reboot. And it was spot on.

It currently has a 17% rating on rotten tomatoes by the critics. The audience gives it a 90%. Every so often you see movies that are like this too. Does anyone have any idea why there can be such a huge difference? I feel like critics just hate a lot of stuff. The Sandlot is certified rotten too!

BD80
09-12-2017, 02:40 AM
I liked it. A bit predictable, but clever in parts. It is clear there is a Star Trek hand (Brannon Braga) guiding the production. More a spoof of Next Gen, whereas Galaxy Quest was aimed at Trekkies and the original series.

I was worried that MacFarlane would overwhelm the series, he has taken himself too seriously as an actor in past productions, but so far, so good.

camion
09-12-2017, 07:55 AM
I watched it and thought it was a pleasant diversion. Nothing earth/space shattering, but I would turn it on before the great majority of tv offerings.

JasonEvans
09-12-2017, 10:40 AM
I too enjoyed it and found the mix of sci-fi drama (we need to keep this powerful aging device from falling into enemy hands) and humor (I'm loving the casual attitude of the pilot and navigator, "aww, there's no way we are getting off by 5 today") worked for me. I know the critics are killing it because it is not original in any way, and they are right. But, through 1 episode, I don't really mind that. I'll certainly be watching a few more and I think it has real potential. I think there is a ton of potential for humor in the varied members of the crew and experience tells me that Seth MacFarlane deserves the benefit of the doubt when it comes to making something funny.

-Jason "not all critics hate it-- Forbes wrote a glowing review titled, 'The Critics are Crazy' (https://www.forbes.com/sites/erikkain/2017/09/10/the-critics-must-be-crazy-the-orville-is-a-delightful-homage-to-the-original-star-trek/#13f7a5f571c7)" Evans

PackMan97
09-12-2017, 10:52 AM
It currently has a 17% rating on rotten tomatoes by the critics. The audience gives it a 90%. Every so often you see movies that are like this too. Does anyone have any idea why there can be such a huge difference? I feel like critics just hate a lot of stuff. The Sandlot is certified rotten too!

Critics value different things in a production than the masses. They might be looking at the editing, the sound quality, the composition of the scene, the finer points of acting, the originality of the dialogue, the musical score, etc.

The masses only care about one thing:

BD80
09-12-2017, 12:14 PM
Doesn't look like The Orville has a transporter.

A hallmark of good Sci-Fi has been plausibility. Many concepts in the original series were based on reputable Sci-Fi writers' imaginings, but the transporter has long been the target of derision in the science and Sci-Fi worlds.

jimsumner
09-12-2017, 04:02 PM
I was disappointed that the Krill didn't look more crustacean-like.

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2017, 10:14 PM
(PS...I loved how the Orville took actual damage as opposed to every other ship in every other show getting shot to hell and coming out unscathed.)

Well, I was wrong about that. I've been watching all of the post TNG shows on Netflix, and am now on the third season (2004) of the last one, Enterprise. In the 18th episode, the ship gets shot to hell, crew goes flying out hull breaches into space, they lose warp drive, and look like swiss cheese.
They are patching things up through at least the next two episodes, and one of the engineers lending a hand is a young Seth Macfarlane. Had no idea he was on any of the ST shows. The episode (#20, The Forgotten) was directed by Levar Burton. Gotta wonder if The Orville sticks around if Burton won't sit in the director's chair in a future season.

camion
09-13-2017, 08:37 AM
I was disappointed that the Krill didn't look more crustacean-like.

They were also much larger than I expected.

JasonEvans
09-13-2017, 10:02 AM
Well, I was wrong about that. I've been watching all of the post TNG shows on Netflix, and am now on the third season (2004) of the last one, Enterprise. In the 18th episode, the ship gets shot to hell, crew goes flying out hull breaches into space, they lose warp drive, and look like swiss cheese.
They are patching things up through at least the next two episodes, and one of the engineers lending a hand is a young Seth Macfarlane. Had no idea he was on any of the ST shows.

He actually appears in 2 episodes, both very briefly as a low-level engine repair guy who appears in a grand total of 1 scene in each episode. He gets berated in one of them. Apparently, his character even has a name -- Ensign Rivers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OG6dQjDwJfU

-Jason "this was not MacFarlane's first live acting appearance. He was on a couple episodes of Gilmore Girls before he appeared on Enterprise" Evans

weezie
09-15-2017, 02:47 PM
What is it about McFarlane? He can sing beautifully, he's good looking, black Irish/Scots hair and all, but the guy just makes me want to swing a large smelly fish into the side of his dome.

OldPhiKap
09-15-2017, 02:59 PM
What is it about McFarlane? He can sing beautifully, he's good looking, black Irish/Scots hair and all, but the guy just makes me want to swing a large smelly fish into the side of his dome.

Not to rile up an aquatic craniate-wielding woman, but . . . perhaps it says more about you than him?

(Actually, I'm not a big fan either -- something about that smug puss of his I guess)

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2017, 10:17 PM

Not to rile up an aquatic craniate-wielding woman, but . . . perhaps it says more about you than him?

(Actually, I'm not a big fan either -- something about that smug puss of his I guess)

On NPR today, they had a segment with TV critics talking about new shows. The Orville came up briefly. The first critic's reply was "Well, I really don't like Seth MacFarlane, so...." and it was all downhill from there.

weezie
09-16-2017, 09:37 AM
On NPR today, they had a segment with TV critics talking about new shows. The Orville came up briefly. The first critic's reply was "Well, I really don't like Seth MacFarlane, so..." and it was all downhill from there.

Lol, so, I guess I will now start liking him. Always swim against the majority.

JasonEvans
09-16-2017, 11:26 AM
Lol, so, I guess I will now start liking him. Always swim against the majority.

Well, you'd be swimming against the critics perhaps, but not he general public. Seth is very successful and seems to have a pretty good sense of what common folks like. Aside from Once Upon A Time In The West, he's largely had hits everywhere he has gone.

brevity
09-16-2017, 01:14 PM
Aside from Once Upon A Time In The West, he's largely had hits everywhere he has gone.

Humor is subjective, but I will always find this anachronistic interchange between Seth's character and his crusty old father to be funny.

George Stark: You're late!
Albert: For what?
George Stark: Fair enough.

weezie
09-16-2017, 08:31 PM
^^^chuckle. That was funny. :D

camion
09-22-2017, 09:37 AM
Thursday's episode "About a Girl" was more serious, less humor.

I liked parts and didn't like parts. Spoilers may follow.

I liked the tribunal decision, not in the sense that I agreed with it, but it was the decision I would expect when a single individual tries to do something counter to the norms of an entire culture.

My main problem is with the script having too many stereotypes and too many convenient coincidences.

Oh and crushing the titanium cube. Nope.

Thoughts, opinions?

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2017, 10:08 AM
Thursday's episode "About a Girl" was more serious, less humor.
Thoughts, opinions?

We're watching on the DVR tonight, so no opinion yet. I'm glad they moved it to Thursday, since we recorded last week's show only to fast forward through almost a whole quarter of an NFL game and miss the second half of The Orville. Thank goodness for on demand, but we shouldn't run into that problem in the new time slot now.

jimsumner
09-24-2017, 07:28 PM
I haven't been able to watch since the opening because U-Verse and Capitol Broadcasting (NBC and Fox in the Triangle) are at an impasse for how to divvy up the money I'm paying A, T & T for the privilege of watching NBC and Fox.

Curiously, both sides have the same take on the issue, i.e. we love our customers but the other guys are at fault, so don't bother us.

And Capitol tells us they broadcast their channels "free," which we can easily access by purchasing an $80 antenna.

And, yes, I'll miss the Washington-Oakland game tonight.

Grrr!!

alteran
09-29-2017, 04:31 PM
Watched my first episode last night, "If the Stars Should Appear."

I'm glad I was prepped for this show, because I think that otherwise I might have taken this show at face value (like I suspect the critics did) and in that case, I would not think much of it.

If you take it as an unapologetic rip-off of Star Trek written by folks that both 1) love Trek, and also 2) know how much it desperately needs to be made fun of, it totally works. Somewhere between a farce and an homage.

I was a little surprised by some of the risque jokes and low humor, but I also enjoyed it. It was a little awkward watching with my 11 and 14 year old, but I think they'll live. (The real awkwardness was my laughing at most of it.)

Anyway, I plan to keep watching. I think they're still trying to figure out what the show is (farce? action/adventure? classic sci-fi? revisionist? some specific mixture of all of them?). I'm hoping they really figure out where they ultimately want to go.

JasonEvans
09-29-2017, 05:05 PM
I know the critics hated it, but The Orville is doing fairly well in the ratings. Last night's episode improved on its lead-in (Gotham) and continues to get strong numbers in the key 18-49 demographic. It is not going to be the biggest new show of the season (I don't think) but it is doing well enough that Fox is likely quite pleased. My bet is that the income demographic are skewing pretty high on it as well as sci-fi tends to be more affluent than crime shows.

rsvman
10-02-2017, 01:19 PM
Meh.

I guess I was hoping it would be more like Spaceballs.

bjornolf
10-02-2017, 02:00 PM
Meh.

Spaceballs is hilarious but would make a TERRIBLE tv show.

PackMan97
10-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Meh.

I would be disappointed if there wasn't one episode where a red-shirt orders the "Special" and the captain changes his order.

PSurprise
10-02-2017, 04:31 PM
I agree with the meh. I tried to watch the first (or was it the second?) episode, and wasn't really acted well or humorous at all. And I'm a fan of Seth Macfarlane. I always marvel at how his forehead never moves. Must be overflowing with the botox.

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2017, 04:02 PM
The Orville got renewed for a second season, which I'm happy about. I'm enjoying it more with each episode, some of which have been pretty poignant in statements of justice and morality. Of course, it still has the funny moments, but those are definitely not what the show is about.

I did have a complaint about the last episode having half of its plot line being a blatant rip-off of 10 Cloverfield Lane, but overall it still worked well.

PackMan97
11-06-2017, 04:15 PM
One of the things I hate about modern comedy is they don't know when to stop the joke.

The episode about infiltrating the Krill, they really ruined the episode by acting so far out of character and the endless "Avis" rental car jokes. Same thing with "Majority Rule". I get that it's a comedy, but taking the entire society as a joke until you are strapped to the electric chair is just about silly.

I get that it's a comedy and a satirical one at that..but they could end the "joke" after the fifth or sixth time they tell it and be a much better show.

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2017, 04:54 PM
One of the things I hate about modern comedy is they don't know when to stop the joke.

The episode about infiltrating the Krill, they really ruined the episode by acting so far out of character and the endless "Avis" rental car jokes. Same thing with "Majority Rule". I get that it's a comedy, but taking the entire society as a joke until you are strapped to the electric chair is just about silly.

I get that it's a comedy and a satirical one at that..but they could end the "joke" after the fifth or sixth time they tell it and be a much better show.

I didn't take it that way at all, but as a statement on our own society vying for more "likes" and anonymous trolling at every turn.

BD80
11-06-2017, 07:47 PM
I didn't take it that way at all, but as a statement on our own society vying for more "likes" and anonymous trolling at every turn.

Should I click on the little green icon at the bottom of that post?

CameronBornAndBred
11-06-2017, 09:22 PM
Should I click on the little green icon at the bottom of that post?

Just make sure it's the GREEN one.

BD80
11-06-2017, 09:58 PM
Just make sure it's the GREEN one.

Oh, come on, I'm sure you would do well on your apology tour.

brevity
11-07-2017, 01:48 AM
Oh, come on, I'm sure you would do well on your apology tour.

CBAB: “One thing the Main Feed doesn’t know about me is that I make paintings in my spare time.”

Host: “Yes, but isn’t at least one of those paintings of Christian Laettner?”

Audience: “Boooooooooo.”

By the way, that episode was pretty good. I wanted Isaac and the crew to manipulate everyone’s numbers so that they all were at negative 10 million, just like Lt. LaMarr, so then no one would be punished and everyone would get a reset. Then have the same ending where Lysella is over it and declines to vote.

CameronBornAndBred
11-07-2017, 08:53 AM
CBAB: “One thing the Main Feed doesn’t know about me is that I make paintings in my spare time.”

Host: “Yes, but isn’t at least one of those paintings of Christian Laettner?”

Audience: “Boooooooooo.”

By the way, that episode was pretty good. I wanted Isaac and the crew to manipulate everyone’s numbers so that they all were at negative 10 million, just like Lt. LaMarr, so then no one would be punished and everyone would get a reset. Then have the same ending where Lysella is over it and declines to vote.

"You must spread comments around..."

So while I would up vote you, I can't. I enjoyed how the prevalence of viral videos was used to plot that episode.