PDA

View Full Version : Men's golf off to good start in NCAA regionals

duketaylor
05-16-2017, 10:22 AM
http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=teamPlayer&tid=12647

Top 6 teams advance; they're playing with confidence after winning the ACC!!

GO DEVILS!!

JasonEvans
05-16-2017, 01:01 PM
http://results.golfstat.com/public/leaderboards/gsnav.cfm?pg=teamPlayer&tid=12647

GO DEVILS!!

How many rounds to determine the top 6?

SCMatt33
05-16-2017, 01:11 PM

GO DEVILS!!

Just to clarify, there's actually more regionals in Men's than Women's, so only the top 5 will advance, at least according to NCAA.com

chrishoke
05-16-2017, 04:58 PM
Duke is in 2nd after round two. Duke had today's low score, even par.

jhmoss1812
05-16-2017, 05:44 PM
How many rounds to determine the top 6?

3 rounds. Both Duke and UVA in good shape to advance after playing 2 rounds.

duketaylor
05-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Five teams advance, Duke in great shape! Final round tomorrow.

GO DEVILS!!!

JasonEvans
05-17-2017, 11:53 AM
Duke off to a poor start in round 3. Team is +4 on the day when all the other teams in the top 5 in the standings are under par. Virginia has vaulted pat Duke into 2nd place and we are only 4-strokes ahead of the #4 and #5 teams.

But, the top 5 all make it Duke still has a 10-stroke lead on #6 Kentucky with another 5 strokes to #7 Jacksonville. So, a top 5 finish and advancement to the NCAA finals still seems extremely likely.

duketaylor
05-17-2017, 12:05 PM
Currently holding an 9 shot advantage over UK and 4 over NW and Oregon, so not too bad. Just finish strong and advance. Like to see them have a solid back nine and continued momentum.

GO DEVILS!!

devilsadvocate85
05-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Duke has moved into 2nd on the back nine today! Tied for the round of the day at this point and only 4 shots out of 1st.

SCMatt33
05-17-2017, 02:32 PM
Duke looks like a near lock to advance. Everyone on the last 4 holes and currently 13 shots ahead of a tie for 5th between Jacksonville and Northwestern. I presume those two will have a playoff to determine who advances as both are finished for the round. Duke also has an outside shot at medalist honors, currently 3 back of LSU,

Papa John
05-17-2017, 03:07 PM
Smalley, still in contention for medal honors (still 3 strokes back, so he would need a nice number on 17, like an eagle perhaps), is currently playing 17. Eaton, currently tied for 4th, is on 18. We're 6 strokes up on UVa and Oregon, currently tied for 3rd. LSU is 7 up on us, so barring an epic collapse they will take the regional.

UPDATE: Smalley, playing wise beyond his years, played a safe par on 17 to pretty much lock up 2nd place for the Devils... The two most consistent Duke golfers through 3 rounds have 6 strokes in hand on 3rd place. Solid performances all around to bounce back from a rocky start on crunch day. Pressure golf is not easy...

UPDATE2: And Eaton pars 18, so now we have 1 golfer on 18 [Smalley] with 6 strokes in hand on second place (currently Oregon, who has all golfers in the clubhouse... UVa just dropped a stroke back to 4th).

MCFinARL
05-17-2017, 03:52 PM
Smalley, still in contention for medal honors (still 3 strokes back, so he would need a nice number on 17, like an eagle perhaps), is currently playing 17. Eaton, currently tied for 4th, is on 18. We're 6 strokes up on UVa and Oregon, currently tied for 3rd. LSU is 7 up on us, so barring an epic collapse they will take the regional.

UPDATE: Smalley, playing wise beyond his years, played a safe par on 17 to pretty much lock up 2nd place for the Devils... The two most consistent Duke golfers through 3 rounds have 6 strokes in hand on 3rd place. Solid performances all around to bounce back from a rocky start on crunch day. Pressure golf is not easy...

UPDATE2: And Eaton pars 18, so now we have 1 golfer on 18 [Smalley] with 6 strokes in hand on second place (currently Oregon, who has all golfers in the clubhouse... UVa just dropped a stroke back to 4th).

I'd hate to think what would have to happen for us not to hold 2nd place. Very good news and good performance!

nmduke2001
05-17-2017, 03:55 PM
I'd hate to think what would have to happen for us not to hold 2nd place. Very good news and good performance!

Top ten schools, Florida and Wake fall outside of the top five in their regions.

duke79
05-17-2017, 04:11 PM
Where and when does Duke play next? I assume at least one more qualifying event to get through before they would be in the finals?

BigWayne
05-17-2017, 04:16 PM
Where and when does Duke play next? I assume at least one more qualifying event to get through before they would be in the finals?

Next stop is the finals.

The 2017 NCAA Division I Men's Golf Championship will be the 79th annual tournament to determine the national champions of NCAA Division I men's golf. It will be contested from May 26 to 31 at the Rich Harvest Farms course in Sugar Grove, Illinois and hosted by Northern Illinois University.

grossbus
05-17-2017, 04:44 PM
Thanks for the reports. Remember, both men's and women's finals will be on the tube.

Bluedog
05-17-2017, 05:48 PM
Next stop is the finals.

The 2017 NCAA Division I Men's Golf Championship will be the 79th annual tournament to determine the national champions of NCAA Division I men's golf. It will be contested from May 26 to 31 at the Rich Harvest Farms course in Sugar Grove, Illinois and hosted by Northern Illinois University.

I didn't realize the men's and women's championships are on the same course, just different weeks. It's a balmy 85 degrees and sunny in Chicago right now....but supposed to plummet to a high of 51 on Friday for the start of the women's rounds. And big storms coming Saturday. Unpredictable weather for sure.

sagegrouse
05-17-2017, 06:43 PM
I didn't realize the men's and women's championships are on the same course, just different weeks. It's a balmy 85 degrees and sunny in Chicago right now...but supposed to plummet to a high of 51 on Friday for the start of the women's rounds. And big storms coming Saturday. Unpredictable weather for sure.

Women start Friday outside of Chicago and it potentially is six days of golf. Four rounds of medal play Friday through Monday (won last year by Virginia Elena Carter). Then the top eight qualifying teams play team matches on Tuesday and Wednesday.

grossbus
05-17-2017, 07:13 PM
don't like that weather report.

duketaylor
05-17-2017, 07:41 PM
don't like that weather report.

That's not a bad thing as they are from places where weather is often nasty, so good for Duke.!!

Tappan Zee Devil
05-17-2017, 08:39 PM
Next stop is the finals.

What is the course like? It is very, very flat out there in DeKalb. Is it just long or does the course use water or trees or whatever to be challenging and championship quality?

Bluedog
05-17-2017, 08:42 PM
Well, to be fair, Sunday and Monday look very pleasant with sunny skies and the high around 70. So, those are pretty optimal conditions for playing a lot of golf. Cooling off Tuesday and Wednesday to the 60s with a chance of showers. Could be much worse. Looks like just Saturday is likely to be problematic.

duketaylor
05-18-2017, 10:34 AM
http://www.richharvestfarms.com/

Hosted The Western Am, so it's gotta be one special course.

Rich
05-18-2017, 10:44 AM
We've had some interesting discussions about the arcane rules of golf. Here's a fun story of how it affected one of the NCAA Regionals (not to Duke).

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2017/5/18/15657446/ncaa-regionals-player-jumps-into-water-gets-naked-jacksonville-university?src=rss

Enter Jacksonville University star David Wicks yesterday during the final round of the men’s D-1 Baton Rouge regional. Battling Northwestern for the fifth and final spot to advance to Nationals and compete for a national title on the final nine, Wicks inadvertently dropped his ball into a pond while waiting to make a formality of a 3-foot putt for par and finish the hole. The requisite and necessary recourse for this, of course, is getting half-naked and wading into a muddy Louisiana pond to find said ball.

Tom B.
05-22-2017, 12:46 PM
We've had some interesting discussions about the arcane rules of golf. Here's a fun story of how it affected one of the NCAA Regionals (not to Duke).

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2017/5/18/15657446/ncaa-regionals-player-jumps-into-water-gets-naked-jacksonville-university?src=rss

Enter Jacksonville University star David Wicks yesterday during the final round of the men’s D-1 Baton Rouge regional. Battling Northwestern for the fifth and final spot to advance to Nationals and compete for a national title on the final nine, Wicks inadvertently dropped his ball into a pond while waiting to make a formality of a 3-foot putt for par and finish the hole. The requisite and necessary recourse for this, of course, is getting half-naked and wading into a muddy Louisiana pond to find said ball.

Brave guy. Lord only knows what kind of wildlife might be lurking in that pond. Alligators, water moccasins, etc.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-23-2017, 09:36 AM

I've heard stories of DukeTaylor getting (more than) half nekkid on the golf course many times. There was this one story about a beverage cart girl... ;) OK, I'm just kidding. It was a remote controlled drone cart. :cool:

duketaylor
05-23-2017, 09:12 PM
I've heard stories of DukeTaylor getting (more than) half nekkid on the golf course many times. There was this one story about a beverage cart girl... ;) OK, I'm just kidding. It was a remote controlled drone cart. :cool:

Glad you're kidding, because neither true nor pretty would that be. I'm a purist, not a naturalist!!:cool: