PDA

View Full Version : McCallie signs grad-student post player. Welcome to Duke, Bego Davalos

jimsumner
05-15-2017, 03:01 PM
With Chidom, Cooper and Belton gone, this is a huge pickup, in several meanings of the word.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211596098

CameronBornAndBred
05-15-2017, 03:50 PM
With Chidom, Cooper and Belton gone, this is a huge pickup, in several meanings of the word.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22760&SPID=1846&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211596098

Awesome news! My favorite part...

A 6-3 center from San Luis Potosi, Mexico, Davalos is one of the top shot blockers in the nation swatting 346 shots over the last three seasons with Fresno State.

I loved our defense last year, and we weren't too bad at scoring. Sooooo, add even more D, and that's a good recipe for success.

BD80
05-15-2017, 03:56 PM
reigning two-time Mountain West Defensive Player of the Year, Davalos is coming off averaging 14.6 points, 11.2 rebounds, 3.5 blocks, 1.8 assists and 1.5 steals as a junior. Her 3.5 blocks ranked third nationally, while her 11.2 rebounds were seventh and 21 double-doubles ranked fourth.

She enters her senior season as the NCAA active leader in blocks (346), rebounds (896) and double-doubles (37). Davalos has also collected two triple-doubles over her career.

As a sophomore, Davalos averaged 12.7 points, 9.4 rebounds, 4.0 blocks, 2.5 assists and 1.3 steals in 33 contests. Her 136 blocked shots and 4.0 per game average both led the nation.

Bego the Beguine

DukieInKansas
05-15-2017, 04:01 PM
Welcome to Duke, Bego!

heyman25
05-15-2017, 07:31 PM
Great pickup. I hope Kyra Lambert will recover from her ACL.

Like the men's team, the women's team has great potential. Lexi Brown and possibly Rebecca Greenwell are potential WNBA prospects. The recruits Boykin, Adams, and Williams could be impact players. Davalos gives them a post presence. Stay injury free and I really like this team to advance to Sweet 16.

With some luck Final 4.

OldPhiKap
05-15-2017, 07:39 PM
Welcome, Bego!

devildeac
05-15-2017, 08:00 PM
11.2 boards and 3.5 blocks per game! Yes, please! Welcome indeed!

jimsumner
05-16-2017, 12:31 PM
I would be surprised if Lambert plays next season. Best-case scenario is she's ready by mid-to-late January.

Would Duke burn a redshirt for half a season? Recent history suggests not. Greenwell as a true freshman and Gorecki last season were held out when both could have played late.

I expect Boykin to move into the starting lineup. She's the jewel of the freshman class and one of the best recruits in DWBB history.

So, why was she omitted from the McDonald's A-A team? She sat out the summer AAU circuit rehabbing knee problems and that's where the McDonald's teams are largely determined. Prep play barely matters. But Boykin averaged 37-38 ppg for a state-championship team and appears to be at 100 percent health.

Brown, Boykin, Greenwell, Odom and Davalos, with Mathias, Gorecki, Suggs and the other newcomers adding depth. That's a pretty potent lineup.

Some notes. Primm transferred, while chronic knee problems forced Belton to give up hoops. Roma and Schubert should be ready to go next fall but neither projects as an ACC-level player, at least at this time, which is why Davalos is such a significant pickup.

Kedsy
05-16-2017, 12:44 PM
I would be surprised if Lambert plays next season. Best-case scenario is she's ready by mid-to-late January.

Would Duke burn a redshirt for half a season? Recent history suggests not. Greenwell as a true freshman and Gorecki last season were held out when both could have played late.

I expect Boykin to move into the starting lineup. She's the jewel of the freshman class and one of the best recruits in DWBB history.

So, why was she omitted from the McDonald's A-A team? She sat out the summer AAU circuit rehabbing knee problems and that's where the McDonald's teams are largely determined. Prep play barely matters. But Boykin averaged 37-38 ppg for a state-championship team and appears to be at 100 percent health.

Brown, Boykin, Greenwell, Odom and Davalos, with Mathias, Gorecki, Suggs and the other newcomers adding depth. That's a pretty potent lineup.

Some notes. Primm transferred, while chronic knee problems forced Belton to give up hoops. Roma and Schubert should be ready to go next fall but neither projects as an ACC-level player, at least at this time, which is why Davalos is such a significant pickup.

Thanks, Jim. What about Jade Williams? Is sh expected to be a contributor as a freshman?

jimsumner
05-16-2017, 12:54 PM
Thanks, Jim. What about Jade Williams? Is sh expected to be a contributor as a freshman?

I would expect Williams to be in the rotation. She's 6-4 but has some face-up skills. But I'm told it might take her some time to adjust to the physicality of the college game.

burnspbesq
05-16-2017, 05:49 PM
ICYMI, Primm ended up at Auburn.

http://www.al.com/auburnbasketball/index.ssf/2017/05/auburn_womens_basketball_adds_1.html