PDA

View Full Version : Wide receiver Dennis Smith to Duke

budwom
05-15-2017, 08:42 AM
Commitment from Pimento State wide receiver who had offers from FSU and Clemmons...big time guy, good size (6-2, 185), his offers belie the three star rating. Fabulous news for those of us who follow football, a sport where you can actually keep track of the players because they tend to return year after year.

ChillinDuke
05-15-2017, 09:06 AM
Commitment from Pimento State wide receiver who had offers from FSU and Clemmons...big time guy, good size (6-2, 185), his offers belie the three star rating. Fabulous news for those of us who follow football, a sport where you can actually keep track of the players because they tend to return year after year.

I see what you did there.

- Chillin

budwom
05-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Of course I still love following Duke hoops, but as the roster has become increasingly filled with Hessians*, I find my relative interest in Duke football rising.
*History major,woohoo!

OldPhiKap
05-15-2017, 09:27 AM
Welcome, Dennis!

chrishoke
05-15-2017, 11:17 AM
Great pick up. This class is really loaded with play makers and good students that value education. Our staffis doing a great job selling the Duke package.

DukieInKansas
05-15-2017, 11:47 AM
Welcome, Dennis Smith. Enjoy your time at Duke. I look forward to watching you play.

BD80
05-15-2017, 01:20 PM
Of course I still love following Duke hoops, but as the roster has become increasingly filled with Hessians*, I find my relative interest in Duke football rising.
*History major,woohoo!

Leaving early = Hessiantation?

sagegrouse
05-15-2017, 01:37 PM
Leaving early = Hessiantation?

No need to complicate the problem, BD80. The "Hessians" of the Revolutionary War were soldiers from what is now the German state of Hesse. "Hesse-tation" works just fine.

budwom
05-15-2017, 02:20 PM
No need to complicate the problem, BD80. The "Hessians" of the Revolutionary War were soldiers from what is now the German state of Hesse. "Hesse-tation" works just fine.

Kind of a "rent to own" notion...the New Economy of the 1770s. Asset light strategy, etc, etc.

Bob Green
05-15-2017, 04:25 PM
Welcome to Duke, Dennis Smith. I like his size and offer sheet: Clemson, Florida State, Georgia, South Carolina, Northwestern, Indiana.

4Gen
05-15-2017, 07:09 PM

Ah, Pimento (sic) State. Now if we could just get a commitment from a Wisconsite, we might have something here.

nyesq83
05-15-2017, 07:36 PM
Ah, Pimento (sic) State. Now if we could just get a commitment from a Wisconsite, we might have something here.

Please curd your enthusiasm.

OldPhiKap
05-15-2017, 07:38 PM

That would be goud.a.

Indoor66
05-15-2017, 07:39 PM

That is a rather Sharp comment.

OldPhiKap
05-15-2017, 07:51 PM
That is a rather Sharp comment.

Dennis had offers from the cream of the ACC crop. So I don't want to derail the thread -- BangBangDukeGANG!!!

devildeac
05-15-2017, 08:01 PM
No matter how you cut it, this is a fine commitment. Welcome!

BD80
05-15-2017, 08:10 PM
No matter how you cut it, this is a fine commitment. Welcome!

A wheel of good fortune?

moonpie23
05-15-2017, 09:17 PM
welcome dennis......BRING IT...

Reilly
05-15-2017, 10:06 PM
That is ... rather Sharp ...

So I'm guessing he's not related to Dennis Smith, former principal trombonist of the LA Phil.

Avvocato
05-15-2017, 10:39 PM
Welcome aboard, Mr. Smith. According to Hudl.com, he runs a 4.51 40-Yard dash. At 6'2", I'll take some of that. See the link below (which also has some video clips).

http://www.hudl.com/profile/5170038/dennis-smith

Devilinside
05-16-2017, 04:06 PM

That would be "Palmetto State", just for the record.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2017, 04:37 PM
That would be "Palmetto State", just for the record.

Staring at it across the river right now, outside the office window. Smiling faces, beautiful places.

budwom
05-16-2017, 04:39 PM
Staring at it across the river right now, outside the office window. Smiling faces, beautiful places.

head over there and you are far more apt to encounter a pimento than a palmetto.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2017, 04:48 PM
head over there and you are far more apt to encounter a pimento than a palmetto.

Are you kidding? At the Augusta National, pimento cheese is king.

Plenty of palmettos in SC, although I am not in or adjacent to the low country.

sagegrouse
05-16-2017, 05:42 PM

When my kids and I used to drive down to Charleston on SC-41, we would try and find the first palmetto. I believe it was on the banks of the Wando, which is a tidal river. I don't think palmettos grow inland, and there were some embarrassing efforts to get them to grow on the grounds of the state capitol in Columbia. The symbol of the state relates to a fortification of palmetto logs of Sullivan's Island that helped repulse the British in the Battle of Charleston in 1776.

OldPhiKap
05-16-2017, 06:02 PM
Smith is from Gaffney, home of the Big Peach. Uplands, not too far from Rock Hill and Charlotte.

Reilly
05-16-2017, 06:13 PM
Smith is from Gaffney, home of the Big Peach ...

Took a tour of Savannah one time and the tour guide said something about Georgia the peach state and a woman piped up that there were more peaches in Spartanburg Co, SC than in all of Georgia. Don't know if that's true or not, but she seemed quite sure.

brlftz
05-16-2017, 06:21 PM
Took a tour of Savannah one time and the tour guide said something about Georgia the peach state and a woman piped up that there were more peaches in Spartanburg Co, SC than in all of Georgia. Don't know if that's true or not, but she seemed quite sure.

OMG, that's hilarious. My wife is from Columbia, do NOT get someone from South Carolina started on the subject of peaches.

jimsumner
05-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Gaffney is also the home town of President Francis Underwood.

sagegrouse
05-16-2017, 07:13 PM
OMG, that's hilarious. My wife is from Columbia, do NOT get someone from South Carolina started on the subject of peaches.

Or people from North Carolina on mustard BBQ sauce, which is popular in SC.

jimsumner
05-16-2017, 07:20 PM
Speaking of peaches, I was at the Farmer's Market today and was told that the late frost did a number on the local peach crop.

A rough peach year ahead.

And I love peaches. :(

devildeac
05-16-2017, 07:30 PM
Speaking of peaches, I was at the Farmer's Market today and was told that the late frost did a number on the local peach crop.

Perhaps you'll find this a suitable alternative:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvAnQqVJ3XQ
:o

OldPhiKap
05-16-2017, 07:31 PM

Yeah, I think peach farmers are in for a rough season. Crop insurance only does so much.

Oh, and Go Duke! Rip 'em up, tear 'em up . . . .

4Gen
05-16-2017, 08:19 PM
This may be a first, and mods delete if if just doesn't cut it, but a recipe to always remember:

Extra sharp cheddar, finely grated.
Mayo, but not too.
Texas Pete, a lot.
Jar of pimientos, added last.
Stir, don't blend (so as not annihilate the beauty of the pimientos)

How is this not only important, but relevant?
Dennis, I guarantee, like me a Carolina country boy, has eaten gallons of it.

Olympic Fan
05-16-2017, 08:24 PM

South Carolina is slightly ahead of Georgia in peach production -- but California produces 10 times as many peaches as South Carolina. Heck, California produces twice as many peaches as the next 10 best peach producing states put together:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/193929/top-10-peach-producing-us-states/

sagegrouse
05-16-2017, 09:42 PM
South Carolina is slightly ahead of Georgia in peach production -- but California produces 10 times as many peaches as South Carolina. Heck, California produces twice as many peaches as the next 10 best peach producing states put together:

I have no idea where Colorado ranks, but the peaches are beyond good. They come from the irrigated, mineral-rich region around Grand Junction. What flavor!

OTOH, Colorado is trying its hand at wine. Not to my taste.

NYBri
05-16-2017, 09:52 PM
Silly me. I came here looking for news about a new wide receiver. Instead I am reading about SC produce markets

That'll teach me.

pfrduke
05-16-2017, 10:20 PM

But none of them are as good as the peaches out of eastern Washington. (ducks)

devildeac
05-16-2017, 10:21 PM
Silly me. I came here looking for news about a new wide receiver. Instead I am reading about SC produce markets

That'll teach me.

Just goes to show you that many of us around here are impeachable.

(sorry)

OldPhiKap
05-16-2017, 10:25 PM
But none of them are as good as the peaches out of eastern Washington. (ducks)

Just goes to show you that many of us around here are impeachable.

(sorry)

Love you both, but you're both the pits.

But, peace offering:

devildeac
05-16-2017, 10:29 PM
Love you both, but you're both the pits.

But, peace offering:

Looks more like a peach offering to me. But, then again, I'm still trying to cobbler together a few more posts tonight and trying to be crisp about it.

Reilly
05-16-2017, 11:59 PM
... California produces 10 times as many peaches as South Carolina. Heck, California produces twice as many peaches as the next 10 best peach producing states put together ...

I loved DeMarcus Nelson's spirit and competitiveness, but I've viewed all California statistics askance after learning he was the all-time leading scorer in h.s. history in that large state, and that approach applies to these peach numbers. That, or quantity =/= quality.

Reilly
05-17-2017, 12:19 AM

That'll teach me.

When Cut came to Duke, he correctly noted the similarity of the concession stands to roadside fruit stands. It's all connected.