PDA

View Full Version : In Praise of Sports Venue Relics

75Crazie
05-14-2017, 02:40 PM
Apropos of nothing, really ... but I'm sitting here watching the ceremony following the last Tottenham Spurs football game at White Hart Lane, which saw its first football game in 1899. I cannot help but contrast that sense of history with American sports palaces, many of which are considered to be outdated and ripe for replacement barely 20-30 years after initiation (DeanDome, anybody?). And that leaves me with a great sense of pride that Duke still plays in Wallace Wade Stadium (estb. 1929), Cameron Indoor Stadium (1940), and Jack Coombs field (1931). Yes, there have been renovations over the years, but always overlaid on the original site and facilities. That is something, I believe, of which precious few major sports colleges can boast. I am sure many would point to the relatively small local fan base as a significant reason, but I don't care, I am proud nevertheless.

blazindw
05-14-2017, 02:56 PM
For all of the "here today, gone tomorrow" stadiums that have been around in American pro sports, it is cool to still have stadiums around in college and pro sports that have stood the test of time: Fenway, Wrigley, the Big House, Cameron, Yale Bowl, Bobby Dodd, Harvard Stadium, the Rose Bowl, Notre Dame Stadium, Lambeau, Soldier Field. There are far more in college that have been around for decades, but the pro relics are down to a precious few. I'm super glad I got to see a game in the old Yankee Stadium before it closed and always proud that my first baseball game (and several dozen after that) was at Tiger Stadium. Would love to hit up Fenway and Wrigley before they go away.

Olympic Fan
05-14-2017, 03:12 PM
For all of the "here today, gone tomorrow" stadiums that have been around in American pro sports, it is cool to still have stadiums around in college and pro sports that have stood the test of time: Fenway, Wrigley, the Big House, Cameron, Yale Bowl, Bobby Dodd, Harvard Stadium, the Rose Bowl, Notre Dame Stadium, Lambeau, Soldier Field. There are far more in college that have been around for decades, but the pro relics are down to a precious few. I'm super glad I got to see a game in the old Yankee Stadium before it closed and always proud that my first baseball game (and several dozen after that) was at Tiger Stadium. Would love to hit up Fenway and Wrigley before they go away.

I also think of the short-team venues -- how about the Charlotte Coliseum (on Tyvola Road) -- opens in 1988 and it's gone less than 20 years later. Same for Turner Field in Atlanta -- opens in 1996 and closes in 2016 ...

And the OP is right -- the Dean Dome is an architechural monstrosity that needs to be replaced (but won't be in the near future).

burnspbesq
05-14-2017, 03:21 PM
Penn should not be forgotten in this conversation. Franklin Field and the Palestra make a pretty good one-two punch.

On the other hand. I don't know anybody who preferred the Sports Arena to the Galen Center ... or Shea Stadium to Citi Field.

duke74
05-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Penn should not be forgotten in this conversation. Franklin Field and the Palestra make a pretty good one-two punch.

On the other hand. I don't know anybody who preferred the Sports Arena to the Galen Center ... or Shea Stadium to Citi Field.

Let me introduce myself. I'm Duke74, a Mets fan since the first (Polo Grounds) year in 1962. If the Wilpons wanted to own the Dodgers and their history, and play in Ebbetts Field, then they should have bought that team. (Not referring to the design or so-called "fan friendliness")

Shea forever. Thank God they brought over the Apple and other parts of our history (kicking and screaming I might add)

And, yes, that's my little guy (now 2) looking at my season-ticket seats from Shea.

Atldukie79
05-14-2017, 06:00 PM
I also think of the short-team venues -- how about the Charlotte Coliseum (on Tyvola Road) -- opens in 1988 and it's gone less than 20 years later. Same for Turner Field in Atlanta -- opens in 1996 and closes in 2016 ...

And the OP is right -- the Dean Dome is an architechural monstrosity that needs to be replaced (but won't be in the near future).

And as a further example of transient venues, Turner Field was briefly the Olympic track and field stadium...for a couple of weeks. Then, they demolished a portion of the stadium to become the home of the Braves.

By the way, a few rows of those seats are now bolted onto our wooden deck overlooking our home basketball court. So, something good came of the "throw away" stadium!

MartyClark
05-14-2017, 07:47 PM
I was born and raised in Chicago, moved to Denver 35 years ago. We lived in a northwest suburb but my dad was a White Sox fan (In retrospect, I think because the Cubs played day games and the working guys couldn't attend or view.) I loved the old Comiskey Park, which by modern standards, was a terrible neighborhood and ball park.

I still love Wrigley Field which has had considerable changes in the past two years but, in my opinion, is better than Fenway.

I can still remember going to a Cubs-Dodgers game in September of 1966 or 1967. All of 1500 people at the game. Kenny Holtzman v. Sandy Koufax. What are the odds of two Jewish, left handed pitchers facing off?

I love these old, historic arenas.

-jk
05-14-2017, 08:59 PM
We found in my mom's house a few boards of the floor from the early Foster era. Enough for several hundred framed thingies, even with bits that fall off in a couple years!

These boards were from before the reflooring (with the springy sub-flooring) early in the K years. I think they date from at least the Bubas years, maybe Bradley or earlier...

-jk

DU82
05-14-2017, 09:20 PM
We found in my mom's house a few boards of the floor from the early Foster era. Enough for several hundred framed thingies, even with bits that fall off in a couple years!

These boards were from before the reflooring (with the springy sub-flooring) early in the K years. I think they date from at least the Bubas years, maybe Bradley or earlier...

-jk

The replacement floor went down while Bill Foster was coach, 1977. The K era springy floor was 1997. At least that's what the wording under my piece of that floor says. I'm sure what you have are pieces from the original floor that was replaced in '77. No resale value back then, other than sentimental value to true fans (so no surprise that your mother had it.)

Indoor66
05-15-2017, 06:56 AM
The replacement floor went down while Bill Foster was coach, 1977. The K era springy floor was 1997. At least that's what the wording under my piece of that floor says. I'm sure what you have are pieces from the original floor that was replaced in '77. No resale value back then, other than sentimental value to true fans (so no surprise that your mother had it.)

You are correct. I have a piece of the original floor (from 1940) that was replaced in 1977. The were sold for a couple of dollars. Some of us "founding" Iron Dukes were given one by Tom Butters. At that time the original roll out baskets (that used to be stored in the corners of Cameron) were replaced by the current ceiling suspended baskets. That configuration is somewhat uncommon and, IMO, is a wonderful arrangement when possible. It seems safer with no supports behind the basket.

msdukie
05-15-2017, 10:59 PM
As a side note, Duke as of this month has been selling that 1977-1997 floor for 20 years. Somehow it is still on sale and every time the Duke Store sells out of each style, it reappears online a few days later.....

Reilly
05-15-2017, 11:39 PM
... I have a piece of the original floor (from 1940) ... Some of us "founding" Iron Dukes were given one by Tom Butters ...

And this is why I love DBR.

mattman91
05-16-2017, 01:01 AM
Let me introduce myself. I'm Duke74, a Mets fan since the first (Polo Grounds) year in 1962. If the Wilpons wanted to own the Dodgers and their history, and play in Ebbetts Field, then they should have bought that team. (Not referring to the design or so-called "fan friendliness")

Shea forever. Thank God they brought over the Apple and other parts of our history (kicking and screaming I might add)

And, yes, that's my little guy (now 2) looking at my season-ticket seats from Shea.

Does Chipper Jones still haunt you? I mean, the dude dominated Shea so bad he named his son after it (seriously).

Chipper was my childhood hero.

duke74
05-16-2017, 07:02 AM
Does Chipper Jones still haunt you? I mean, the dude dominated Shea so bad he named his son after it (seriously).

Chipper was my childhood hero.

"Haunt" probably too strong a word, but certainly painful memories. I knew about his son - got a lot of play here. Actually pretty clever. The flipside - good memories - for him. Great player.

Glavine's last day of the 2007 season meltdown is a worse memory for me - the end of a team slide to blow the division. (But he actually had a decent tenure with us, winning his 300th during the time)