PDA

View Full Version : MLax: tOSU, alas...

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 01:28 PM
Welcome to the Big Barbecue!

Duke seems to be favored against the Blue Jays, but they still have to show up and play 60 minutes or more of Duke Lacrosse in what will likely be a hostile environment.

None of Hop's GKs have a save precentage of 50 or more, but Duke has won championships without great goalkeeping, so that's not determinative. Hop is facing off at roughly 47 percent, which suggests that Duke is likely to have a possession surplus. Hop's offense is pretty good, and their EMO unit is scary good (number one in the country, IIRC).

The key to the game is likely to be the performance of Duke's close D. If Cade and JT can shut down Stanwick and Marr, that's a huge advantage for the Blue Devils.

LGD!

budwom
05-13-2017, 01:36 PM
Let's hope we brought the right shoes...

Doria
05-13-2017, 02:09 PM
Good luck to our guys! You can do this!

MCFinARL
05-13-2017, 02:11 PM
Let's hope we brought the right shoes...

Amen to that!

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 02:20 PM
Towson is 52.5 seconds away from taking out Penn State.

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 02:23 PM
FT: Towson 12, Penn State 8.

chrishoke
05-13-2017, 02:23 PM
I hate hop. Go duke.

sagegrouse
05-13-2017, 03:01 PM
Duke ahead 6-3 at end of the first quarter. Devils will have a penalty advantage to begin the second.

Blue in the Face
05-13-2017, 03:24 PM
It's never a bad thing to hear the announcer say, of the other team, "I'd think about a goalie change here."

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 03:24 PM
What's the Duke record for points in a tournament game?

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 03:32 PM
And there's your answer: eight, by Jordan Wolf against Hop in 2014.

BlueDevil16
05-13-2017, 04:10 PM
Any other acc schools going to add lax soon?

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 04:18 PM
16-5 after three. Rowe is 17-for-23. Gut sitting on ten points; the NCAA record is 12. van Raaphorst and Giles-Harris are bageling Stanwick and Marr.

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 04:36 PM
Duke emptying the bench. uppgren with a great point-blank save.

Rheumdis
05-13-2017, 04:38 PM
Whom would we play next?

Native
05-13-2017, 04:39 PM
Whom would we play next?

The winner of #3-seeded Ohio State and Loyola.

Fantastic outing by our squad today. And to get the production from our second and third units that we did is a promising sign. We need Guterding to continue to perform at a high level but our guys are together.

sagegrouse
05-13-2017, 04:40 PM
Go Duke! Overwhelming win at JHU.

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 04:42 PM
And the final is 19-6. Wow.

MCFinARL
05-13-2017, 04:46 PM
Okay then. Very satisfying win and minimal experience of the annoying Hop fight song.

Here's hoping the high number of turnovers was mostly attributable to the weather. If not, that could come back to bite Duke next week.

Otherwise, lots of great defense, lots of great offense.

Also, commentators seemed to agree with Burns that Guterding should have been a Tewaaraton finalist--or at least that the snub was highly motivating.

duke2x
05-13-2017, 04:55 PM
TO's and slow starts have been there all year. I can't blame the weather nor do I think Hopkins losing their goalie made much difference in the margin.

As much as the committee tried to "get it right" with its selections, I don't think it did a good job seeding Hopkins over Duke. This was painfully obvious last weekend, and that will end my rant. Road teams are 2-0 in this tournament so far.

Congrats to the guys on Duke's first NCAA road win and a similar result to 2010 and 2014. On to Hofstra's stadium v. OSU/Loyola.

JD for Three!
05-13-2017, 08:27 PM
Awesome game by Duke today. Truly dominated Hopkins.
WhaT is making it even better is watching the Cheats down 12-2 in the middle of the 2nd quarter 😆

dukie’s_daughter
05-13-2017, 08:47 PM
Did anyone else find it bizarre to see a team in baby blue and hear the announcers talking of an academically ineligible player? I'm sure there's a joke in here somewhere with the Albany offensive barrage....

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 08:54 PM
Scoobies could put Shaggy at X and Velma in goal, and I don't think the Heels could get back into it.

burnspbesq
05-13-2017, 10:01 PM
Scoobies could put Shaggy at X and Velma in goal, and I don't think the Heels could get back into it.

Shows what I know ...

JasonEvans
05-13-2017, 10:13 PM
Shows what I know ...

Albany hangs on to beat UNC 15-12

chrishoke
05-13-2017, 10:25 PM

Thank God.

DevilFalcon
05-13-2017, 11:40 PM
What a game by Duke. Keep it up!

MCFinARL
05-14-2017, 12:27 AM
TO's and slow starts have been there all year. I can't blame the weather nor do I think Hopkins losing their goalie made much difference in the margin.

As much as the committee tried to "get it right" with its selections, I don't think it did a good job seeding Hopkins over Duke. This was painfully obvious last weekend, and that will end my rant. Road teams are 2-0 in this tournament so far.

Congrats to the guys on Duke's first NCAA road win and a similar result to 2010 and 2014. On to Hofstra's stadium v. OSU/Loyola.

So at the end of the day, two road teams won--the two that were playing Big 10 Teams. I'm not sure that's just a coincidence. Big 10 teams got a lot of credit for wins over other Big 10 teams. Obviously Maryland is very likely to win their first round game, but it won't surprise me if that is the only Big Ten team that makes it to the second weekend.

BigWayne
05-14-2017, 03:41 AM

Made it even better. Built up the heel hopes and then crushed them in the cold rain.

Indoor66
05-14-2017, 07:17 AM
So at the end of the day, two road teams won--the two that were playing Big 10 Teams. I'm not sure that's just a coincidence. Big 10 teams got a lot of credit for wins over other Big 10 teams. Obviously Maryland is very likely to win their first round game, but it won't surprise me if that is the only Big Ten team that makes it to the second weekend.

Sounds like football, basketball and academics. The Big 10 is hugely overrated everywhere.

hibby91
05-14-2017, 08:42 AM
If Loyola beats OSU, would Duke host the next game?

hibby91
05-14-2017, 08:50 AM
Sorry. Should have paid better paid attention. As previously posted, they are playing at Hofstra in
Hempstead, N.Y.

chrishoke
05-14-2017, 08:51 AM
If Loyola beats OSU, would Duke host the next game?

No. It will be played in NY regardless of who wins.

hibby91
05-14-2017, 08:54 AM
Yes, Hofstra the place, not the school. OSU or Loyola.

Sorry for sharing my confusion.

budwom
05-14-2017, 10:40 AM

I agree....I have been suspicious about the Big 10 all year, never bought into Penn State...and it was obvious that Hopkins was ultra lucky to get a seeding when they lost six of their last ten games.
I pretty much expect Loyola to beat tOSU...

burnspbesq
05-14-2017, 03:50 PM
Routine win for ND over Marquette, but Bryant is giving Maryland a hard time. 6-4 and Bryant has the first possession in Q3.

burnspbesq
05-14-2017, 05:07 PM
Terps appeared to have broken the game open in Q3, running out to a 13-5 lead, but Bryant fought back to 13-10 and hit the post with a minute to go. Maryland ran out the clock from there.

WiJoe
05-14-2017, 06:08 PM
Duke seems to be favored against the Blue Jays, but they still have to show up and play 60 minutes or more of Duke Lacrosse in what will likely be a hostile environment.

Hostile environment? I find that hilarious. What, the fans throw scalpels at opponents?

burnspbesq
05-14-2017, 06:13 PM
Hostile environment? I find that hilarious. What, the fans throw scalpels at opponents?

That gosh-darn band ...

BD80
05-14-2017, 06:27 PM
Duke beats JHopkins @ JHopkins 19-6 (JHopkins had been 11-0 at home in the post season)

unc LOSES in the first round 15-12

duke2x
05-14-2017, 10:23 PM
OSU it is next weekend @Hofstra. I'm glad this is in NY instead of DE with the Terps.

burnspbesq
05-14-2017, 10:32 PM
Duke alums need to step up and make Shuart Stadium just like the Garden.

burnspbesq
05-14-2017, 10:42 PM
Apparently it was Snub Duke Weekend. The knuckleheads who selected IL's All-America team put Guterding third team and Van Raaphorst and Zenker honorable mention. Nothing for Rowe.

-bdbd
05-15-2017, 12:15 AM
Great win for Duke Men's Lax!

Do we know exactly WHEN next weekend Duke plays (at Hofstra) in the next round?

burnspbesq
05-15-2017, 02:10 AM

Saturday at noon EDT.

Indoor66
05-15-2017, 07:13 AM

Ahhhh, Hofstra. Anyone else remember Richie Schwartz (http://gohofstra.com/hof.aspx?hof=2), a top basketball player at Hofstra under Coach Butch van Breda Kolff? He could fill it up.

budwom
05-15-2017, 08:56 AM
Something I gained an appreciation for this weekend was Duke's lacrosse facility. I know a lot of schools have great lax tradition, but playing a big game on a football field with dozens of
irrelevant markers, yard lines, goal posts, etc, is not visually pleasing...Byrd Stadium and the Carrier Dome are good examples...I'd like to see a list of which Division I schools have dedicated lax facilities...*
* I know Koskinen is shared with soccer, but it actually looks like a lacrosse field...

sagegrouse
05-15-2017, 08:59 AM
Something I gained an appreciation for this weekend was Duke's lacrosse facility. I know a lot of schools have great lax tradition, but playing a big game on a football field with dozens of
irrelevant markers, yard lines, goal posts, etc, is not visually pleasing...Byrd Stadium and the Carrier Dome are good examples...I'd like to see a list of which Division I schools have dedicated lax facilities...*
* I know Koskinen is shared with soccer, but it actually looks like a lacrosse field...

I watched some of the Maryland and the Ohio State games on fields filled up with football markings. Oh my God! What a headache-producing experience!

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-15-2017, 09:02 AM

Agreed. Koskinen is especially beautiful in the evening. Lights on the glowing green and surrounded by the big ol' trees. So glad they saved them when they upgraded everything. Love it. We're so lucky.
Love, Ima

budwom
05-15-2017, 09:22 AM
Agreed. Koskinen is especially beautiful in the evening. Lights on the glowing green and surrounded by the big ol' trees. So glad they saved them when they upgraded everything. Love it. We're so lucky.
Love, Ima

Sad that the football renovation ended up destroying a great stand of shade trees on the East side of the stadium...have migrated to the West side for the first time in 30+ years as a result, plus
my butt gets a bigger seat as a bonus.

MCFinARL
05-15-2017, 09:29 AM
Apparently it was Snub Duke Weekend. The knuckleheads who selected IL's All-America team put Guterding third team and Van Raaphorst and Zenker honorable mention. Nothing for Rowe.

Hopefully that will be as motivating as Justin Guterding's non-finalist status for the Tewaaraton was.

budwom
05-15-2017, 09:37 AM
You look at the Duke roster and see the number of frosh and sophs getting a lot of playing time, and you have to be pleased. Not to mention that now we play defense. Some great young talent.
Paul, do you know what the incoming recruits look like? I know at least several are UA-AA, but know few details...

Billy Dat
05-15-2017, 09:45 AM

Yeah, watching Cuse v Yale last night, with all the white lines it could be tough to follow the flight of the ball.

budwom
05-15-2017, 09:52 AM
Yeah, watching Cuse v Yale last night, with all the white lines it could be tough to follow the flight of the ball.

To me a huge problem is figuring what out's out of bounds and what isn't.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-15-2017, 10:44 AM

I agree - it kept seeming like guys were running out of bounds when they weren't. I know there is a tremendous amount of lacrosse history at the Carrier Dome but between the issues with the field plus the fact that what was likely a decent sized crowd seeming like an ocean of empty seats in such a big stadium, it really is not an ideal place for games. I was also rooting for Yale to pull off the upset so seeing them lose a close one didn't make it any better.

I don't live too far from Hofstra but unfortunately can't make it on Saturday. It looks like Ohio State has some players from metro-NY but we have a lot more, so hopefully the crowd will be pulling for us.

Tom B.
05-15-2017, 01:28 PM

Especially because the lacrosse lines on the Carrier Dome field looked like they were painted in a dark shade of blue. I'm sure the players and officials on the field knew where they were, but they didn't show up on TV well at all.

And I'd somehow missed that Byrd Stadium in College Park is no longer Byrd Stadium -- now it's just Maryland Stadium. Apparently the Board of Regents voted in December of 2015 to take Curley Byrd's name off the stadium because of his segregationist politics.

budwom
05-15-2017, 02:37 PM
Especially because the lacrosse lines on the Carrier Dome field looked like they were painted in a dark shade of blue. I'm sure the players and officials on the field knew where they were, but they didn't show up on TV well at all.

And I'd somehow missed that Byrd Stadium in College Park is no longer Byrd Stadium -- now it's just Maryland Stadium. Apparently the Board of Regents voted in December of 2015 to take Curley Byrd's name off the stadium because of his segregationist politics.

Did not know that...and somehow (knowing the strain on the Terp athletic budget) I suspect they now have themselves a "naming opportunity" worth double figures millions of dollars.
I imagine that Under Armour Goonwear twit will grab the opportunity.

DST Fan
05-15-2017, 03:25 PM
I had a chance last night to watch a replay of the Hopkins game and one thing that struck me was that Hopkins scored with 1:22 left in the first period to close the score to 4-3, and then won the ensuing faceoff. When Hopkins tried to clear, Justin Guterding made an acrobatic play to intercept a pass and then found Joey Manown for an easy score in front of the goal, which the Hopkins goalie had vacated when he tried to help with the clear. Duke scored again with 20 seconds left in the period to go up 6-3 and that turned out to be the end of the game. As good as Guterding's numbers were, he also made a number of other solid plays that did not show up in the box score.

Also, with the Hopkins goaltending issues, scoring 19 goals may not be that surprising, at least in hindsight. However, I thought holding Hopkins to one goal in the second half was remarkable.

duke79
05-15-2017, 03:27 PM
Viewing options for this Saturday's game? I know it is on ESPN-U but we recently downgraded our DISH satellite package and no longer get ESPN-U. I also can't watch it on ESPN-3 because I have to sign in with my DISH account and it won't let me access the games there because of the downgrade. Are there any other viewing options? Online or otherwise?

Tom B.
05-15-2017, 03:51 PM
Did not know that...and somehow (knowing the strain on the Terp athletic budget) I suspect they now have themselves a "naming opportunity" worth double figures millions of dollars.
I imagine that Under Armour Goonwear twit will grab the opportunity.

They already sold the naming rights to the field back in 2006 to Chevy Chase Bank, which later was acquired by Capital One. So the facility's full current name is Capital One Field at Maryland Stadium. I guess Capital One Field at Under Armour Stadium will be the next step in its evolution.

BigWayne
05-15-2017, 04:11 PM
I had a chance last night to watch a replay of the Hopkins game and one thing that struck me was that Hopkins scored with 1:22 left in the first period to close the score to 4-3, and then won the ensuing faceoff. When Hopkins tried to clear, Justin Guterding made an acrobatic play to intercept a pass and then found Joey Manown for an easy score in front of the goal, which the Hopkins goalie had vacated when he tried to help with the clear. Duke scored again with 20 seconds left in the period to go up 6-3 and that turned out to be the end of the game. As good as Guterding's numbers were, he also made a number of other solid plays that did not show up in the box score.

Also, with the Hopkins goaltending issues, scoring 19 goals may not be that surprising, at least in hindsight. However, I thought holding Hopkins to one goal in the second half was remarkable.

A similar failed clear by Yale was the turning point in their loss to Syracuse last night as well. The little things matter come tournament time.

burnspbesq
05-15-2017, 08:27 PM

Nova may be the worst of all in that regard. Take everything you hate about the dome, and add field hockey markings on top of it.

Hate to say it, but Klockner (UVa) is probably the best soccer/lacrosse venue of all. Arlotta (ND) is probably on a par with Koskinen.

The renderings of Michigan's new lax stadium are pretty spiffy.

Cuse had a chance to build a really nice facility when they re-did Manley Field House, but they dropped the ball.

burnspbesq
05-15-2017, 08:34 PM
Viewing options for this Saturday's game? I know it is on ESPN-U but we recently downgraded our DISH satellite package and no longer get ESPN-U. I also can't watch it on ESPN-3 because I have to sign in with my DISH account and it won't let me access the games there because of the downgrade. Are there any other viewing options? Online or otherwise?

Any bar that normally shows Premier League matches on Saturday morning. There aren't any this week (everybody kicks off at the same time on Sunday because it's the last day of the season).

burnspbesq
05-16-2017, 01:45 AM
Analytics Lacrosse has updated its stats to reflect the first round games, and the data are very blue.

Duke passed Albany to top the rankings, which are based primarily on pythagorean win expectation (I will confess to being a PWE skeptic, because I don't fully understand what it's supposed to measure). In a metric that I do understand, adjusted efficiency margin, Duke is well ahead of the rest of the field with an astronomical 15.6 percent (Murlund is second at 14.4, while OSU is at 8.4). If you believe that defense wins championships, Duke has the best defensive numbers of any team left in the tournament.

Games are played on the field, not in Monte Carlo simulations, but if you ran a Monte Carlo tounament, Duke would be a strong favorite to take home the hardware

budwom
05-16-2017, 08:20 AM
I think Duke is better than tOSU, but their goalie was very good vs Loyola (I think they would have lost without him playing that well).

burnspbesq
05-16-2017, 10:17 AM
Eight former Duke players are among the 59 invited to participate in the first phase of the selection process for the US team that will play in the 2018 world championship.

Congrats to Matt, Ned, Jordan, Myles, C.J., Will, Mike, and Brendan.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-16-2017, 10:21 AM
NICE!!!! Bless their hearts!
Love, Ima

MCFinARL
05-16-2017, 10:52 AM
I think Duke is better than tOSU, but their goalie was very good vs Loyola (I think they would have lost without him playing that well).

Yes, I think the OSU goalie may be a key player in this matchup--sometimes Duke's offense can be flummoxed a bit by a really good goalie--and if he can through quick, accurate clearing passes he opens up fast break opportunities as well. Hopefully Duke will come out strong and solve, or rattle, the goalie.

MCFinARL
05-16-2017, 10:55 AM
Eight former Duke players are among the 59 invited to participate in the first phase of the selection process for the US team that will play in the 2018 world championship.

Is this a quiz? For those who may not want to test their brain cells today, that's Matt Danowski, Ned Crotty, Jordan Wolf, Myles Jones, C.J. Costabile, Will Haus, Mike Manley, and Brendan Fowler. :)

CrazyNotCrazie
05-16-2017, 10:57 AM

Could you provide last names? I follow the team more closely than most here and can figure out the vast majority of them, but there are plenty of people who don't know much about lacrosse or are new to following it - saying "Will and Mike" is different from "Kyrie and LeBron".

Native
05-16-2017, 11:30 AM
Could you provide last names? I follow the team more closely than most here and can figure out the vast majority of them, but there are plenty of people who don't know much about lacrosse or are new to following it - saying "Will and Mike" is different from "Kyrie and LeBron".

Here's the full list (http://www.uslacrosse.org/blog/tryout-candidates-named-for-2018-us-mens-team).

budwom
05-16-2017, 12:25 PM
Yes, I think the OSU goalie may be a key player in this matchup--sometimes Duke's offense can be flummoxed a bit by a really good goalie--and if he can through quick, accurate clearing passes he opens up fast break opportunities as well. Hopefully Duke will come out strong and solve, or rattle, the goalie.

speaking of goalies, Yale might well have beaten Syracuse had their goalie not been so tiny....he's listed at 5-8, and the announcers said he is actually more like 5-6....he's not a bad goalie, but
I can't remember seeing a goalie who looked so tiny in the net....he had to wave his stick like a butterfly net at the high shots.

MCFinARL
05-16-2017, 06:25 PM
speaking of goalies, Yale might well have beaten Syracuse had their goalie not been so tiny...he's listed at 5-8, and the announcers said he is actually more like 5-6...he's not a bad goalie, but
I can't remember seeing a goalie who looked so tiny in the net...he had to wave his stick like a butterfly net at the high shots.

Yes, I think most goalies are bigger than that, and it's easy to see how it would make a difference.

53n206
05-16-2017, 07:15 PM
Yes, I think most goalies are bigger than that, and it's easy to see how it would make a difference.

Remember that big goalie for Notre Dame a few years ago. He was really good.

TKG
05-16-2017, 08:20 PM

Right up until, "Clean win by Costabile." 😆

burnspbesq
05-16-2017, 09:54 PM

Scott Rodgers, all 6'4" and 265 of him, plays for Ohio in MLL, and he can still be a wall.

budwom
05-17-2017, 08:39 AM
Looking at some of the various lax sites yesterday, I took note of the last coaches' poll (pre tournament)....all of their top seven teams advanced after the first weekend, as did number 11 Towson. I know some of that is matchups, etc, but their view of teams was a lot better than the tournament committee's, which seemed to place too much reliance on overall RPI and too little on more recent performance (I'm looking at you, Blue Jays).

TKG
05-17-2017, 09:59 AM
(I'm looking at you, Blue Jays).

It seems to me that over the past several years that Hopkins has traded on its name and tradition to receive higher regular season rankings and higher tournament seedings than their play warrants. I am probably wrong and perhaps I have l let my dislike for Pietramala ( who strikes me as a blow hard) get in the way of the facts.

burnspbesq
05-17-2017, 02:44 PM
Inside Lacrosse is reporting that OSU's outstanding freshman SSDM Ryan Terefenko is not expected to play Saturday.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-17-2017, 02:48 PM
Inside Lacrosse is reporting that OSU's outstanding freshman SSDM Ryan Terefenko is not expected to play Saturday.

AWWWWWWW ! :rolleyes: Bless his heart.
Love, Ima
(Somebody should smack me.)

English
05-17-2017, 02:50 PM

Perhaps a new Duke-OSU second round thread? Or, maybe we could rename this to encapsulate the 2017 NCAA Lax Tourney?

I'm thoroughly enjoying all the lax talk, fwiw.

burnspbesq
05-17-2017, 03:12 PM
AWWWWWWW ! :rolleyes: Bless his heart.
Love, Ima
(Somebody should smack me.)

Consider yourself smacked.

MCFinARL
05-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Right up until, "Clean win by Costabile." 😆

Can't spork you, but I can't hear those words too many times!

WiJoe
05-19-2017, 12:20 PM
bumpski

(can't have this falling off first page)

Let's Go Duke !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

burnspbesq
05-19-2017, 04:08 PM
Quint's quarterfinals preview.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/college/lacrosse/bs-sp-quint-kessenich-column-0519-20170518-story.html

burnspbesq
05-19-2017, 04:25 PM
The analytics guys' love affair with Duke continues.

http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/coughlin-quarterfinal-win-probabilities-duke-now-overall-favorite/49577

A second-order stat that I haven't spent much time thinking about, but that could be a major factor tomorrow: Duke's defense is second among the teams remaining in the tournament, at over 41 percent, in percentage of possessions that end in an opponent turnover (only Towson is better). This could be the equalizer if Withers is able to consistently beat Rowe.

burnspbesq
05-19-2017, 04:59 PM
Bulletin board material

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170518/ohio-state-mens-lacrosse-team-relishes-chance-to-take-on-duke-in-ncaa-quarterfinal

75Crazie
05-19-2017, 09:31 PM
I must have missed something, I didn't see anything in that article worthy of pinning to a bulletin board. It just sounded like a team that is confident in their abilities, which they should be to get to this point.

duketaylor
05-19-2017, 10:28 PM
Agree, any team or individual not being confident in their chances would be at a disadvantage before the game begins. Have to believe in yourself and team. No predictions were made about victory, just confidence. Nothing wrong with that.

TKG
05-20-2017, 10:21 AM
Weather forecast for Bethpage, NY today calls for a high of 62 with a 20% chance of rain.

burnspbesq
05-20-2017, 12:00 PM
Yay, Eisnehower. Now get outta da way.

chrishoke
05-20-2017, 12:02 PM
Let's go Devils!

TKG
05-20-2017, 12:13 PM
We have seen ND twice this year and the Buckeyes play a similar style; deliberate on O and terrific on D. We should not be surprised by what we see. Need to be patient and take care of the ball.

Native
05-20-2017, 12:15 PM
We have seen ND twice this year and the Buckeyes play a similar style; deliberate on O and terrific on D. We should not be surprised by what we see. Need to be patient and take care of the ball.

Quite right. I get the sense this one's about to be a slug fest. Key is to capitalize on the offensive opportunities we get.

burnspbesq
05-20-2017, 12:29 PM
Little things matter. Poor stick position by Van Raaphorst on both OSU goals.

burnspbesq
05-20-2017, 12:33 PM
Moving screen, ref. Get your head in the game.

chrishoke
05-20-2017, 12:35 PM

He is getting destroyed.

Native
05-20-2017, 12:35 PM

This. Would love to see more decisive slides on the defensive end — OSU is clearly the physically dominant team here. We need to start being more physical or it'll be a long afternoon.

Also getting nothing going on the offensive end. Should start making runs from higher up on the field and get a full head of steam before going into a dodge. Might help offset the physicality of OSU's defense and force some slides.

Guterding can't beat these guys by himself.

chrishoke
05-20-2017, 12:37 PM
Moving screen, ref. Get your head in the game.

Yep. Really obvious.

burnspbesq
05-20-2017, 12:42 PM
Second midfield doin' work.

TKG
05-20-2017, 12:51 PM
I feel like I am watching a replay of the ACCT semifinal against ND. We seem lethargic on D and offense is not coming easily. We do not seem to be focused. I know it is only the second quarter but the similarities are too close for comfort.

Native
05-20-2017, 12:54 PM
Pretty poor effort defensively thus far. We look gassed. Poor positioning, poor footwork, and we're slow as molasses when sliding.

chrishoke
05-20-2017, 12:54 PM
They are destroying our defense.

sagegrouse
05-20-2017, 12:56 PM
Young team, and it was too easy last week against Hopkins.

Native
05-20-2017, 01:06 PM
9-4 Buckeyes at the half. Not a ton to praise from the Duke point of things.

We've had some success dodging from the midfield and scoring from mid-range. Quick head fakes with a strong move inside and a quick shot have been the only reliable offense we've generated. Would love to see more of an emphasis on dodging from the midfield and working to get our attackmen in quality finishing spots.

Defensively we need to outsmart them. Fundamental defense is the only way to beat a physical team like this.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-20-2017, 02:04 PM
Bless their young hearts. Looks like we'll have to "wait 'til next year". This would take a couple of miracles. Still love 'em. And still wouldn't have any other coach in the country.
Love, Ima

Native
05-20-2017, 02:25 PM
Duke falls 11-16. Tough out.

What frustrates me is that OSU did nothing special — just played bigger and stronger.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-20-2017, 02:53 PM

What frustrates me is that OSU did nothing special — just played bigger and stronger.

Yup. That's life.
Love, Your Wise Old Grandmother.

sagegrouse
05-20-2017, 03:16 PM

We gave up nine first-half goals and trailed 4-9 to an OSU team known for its defense. As a result, it was almost impossible to make up the difference in a more energetic effort in the second half.

chrishoke
05-20-2017, 06:04 PM
I thought if we scored 10 or more we would win. Boy was I wrong.

MCFinARL
05-20-2017, 06:07 PM

Well, yes--because they are, overall, bigger and stronger. Granted this was not a superior Duke performance, it's possible that Ohio State is just better than Duke this year. Or better than Duke today. Also, some props probably need to go to the Ohio State coaching staff, including Associate Head Coach and Duke alum Brad Ross ('08, playing an extra year in '09 under the NCAA dispensation), who seemingly prepared their team very well for Duke's offensive tendencies.

The silver lining, for what it's worth, is that Duke was just soundly beaten, rather than totally humiliated, as Notre Dame was by Denver in the second game.

Pghdukie
05-20-2017, 06:08 PM
Yup. That's life.
Love, Your Wise Old Grandmother.

Ima, you are all of our little sister ! Much wiser than all DBR posters ! Always keep a smile and a positive attitude !

chrishoke
05-20-2017, 06:10 PM
Yep, bad day for the ACC w/ ND getting rocked 16-4.

DST Fan
05-20-2017, 08:14 PM
Starting with the face off X, Duke seemed to lose almost all of the individual match ups and committed way too many careless turnovers. The OSU goal tender also made a couple of point blank saves that snuffed out any possible turnaround.

I'm optimistic about next year, however. Many freshman and sophomores became contributors in the second half of the season and the graduating senior class leaves fewer holes to fill as compared to last year.

buddy
05-20-2017, 09:03 PM
I believe next year's team will be Danowski's first at Duke with no one with Final Four experience.

duketaylor
05-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Disappointing game to watch as we started slowly and OSU's goalie had a good game, for sure. We were outplayed and the few times we made a push they responded. They are a good team.

burnspbesq
05-21-2017, 02:37 AM
Thanks and best wishes to the seniors.

Danny Fowler
Kyle Rowe
Jack Bruckner
Thomas Zenker
Garrett Van de Ven
Tripp Transou
Ian Yanulis
Lt. Ethan Powley
Teddy Henderson
Brian Dunne

You represented Duke well. We're proud of you.

burnspbesq
05-21-2017, 02:43 AM
Anyone else wondering if Josh Dionne is second-guessing himself tonight?

TKG
05-21-2017, 08:05 AM

Karma.

TKG
05-21-2017, 08:06 AM
The Boston College women make the Final Four. I have always wondered why BC doesn't move their men's club team to D1 status.

budwom
05-21-2017, 08:19 AM
On to Duke football. Rest up. The stadium is almost completely renovated, the ugly pavement on the concourse is finally gone.
Looking forward to my move to the Upper West side this year.

MCFinARL
05-21-2017, 10:30 AM

Danny Fowler
Kyle Rowe
Jack Bruckner
Thomas Zenker
Garrett Van de Ven
Tripp Transou
Ian Yanulis
Lt. Ethan Powley
Teddy Henderson
Brian Dunne

Agreed. Some key names on this list are the reason I am cautious about the "look out for Duke next year" comments from media and fans about the Duke team--we will need a new face-off guy, a new goalie, a new shortstick d midfielder, and someone to replace our most experienced attack--plus some more defenders. There are a lot of promising underclassmen on this team, but some key positions will be very inexperienced.

Well, yes, but--at least UNC got in the women's NCAAs. More than we can say for Duke this year.

787Dreamliner
05-21-2017, 11:30 AM

Danny Fowler
Kyle Rowe
Jack Bruckner
Thomas Zenker
Garrett Van de Ven
Tripp Transou
Ian Yanulis
Lt. Ethan Powley
Teddy Henderson
Brian Dunne

ENS Ethan Powley commissioned into the US Navy where the first officer rank is Ensign as opposed to Army and Air Force whose entry-level officers are Second Lieutenants.

Go Duke!

Indoor66
05-21-2017, 12:23 PM
ENS Ethan Powley commissioned into the US Navy where the first officer rank is Ensign as opposed to Army and Air Force whose entry-level officers are Second Lieutenants.

Go Duke!

I believe that these are equivalent ranks (http://militarybenefits.info/armed-forces-comparative-pay-grades-and-ranks/).

burnspbesq
05-21-2017, 02:40 PM
In case you're wondering, 2004 was the last time no ACC teams made it to championship weekend.

JasonEvans
05-21-2017, 05:43 PM
The Boston College women make the Final Four. I have always wondered why BC doesn't move their men's club team to D1 status.

http://www.wpunj.edu/employment-equity/title-ix/assets/title9orange.png

TKG
05-21-2017, 06:22 PM
http://www.wpunj.edu/employment-equity/title-ix/assets/title9orange.png

I sense you're trying to slow walk me to a answer......

DST Fan
06-04-2017, 09:16 AM
Agreed. Some key names on this list are the reason I am cautious about the "look out for Duke next year" comments from media and fans about the Duke team--we will need a new face-off guy, a new goalie, a new shortstick d midfielder, and someone to replace our most experienced attack--plus some more defenders. There are a lot of promising underclassmen on this team, but some key positions will be very inexperienced.

GoDuke indicates that Danny Fowler red-shirted in 2014. Although I have not seen confirmation, I assume he is likely to be back in 2018.

MCFinARL
06-04-2017, 02:22 PM
GoDuke indicates that Danny Fowler red-shirted in 2014. Although I have not seen confirmation, I assume he is likely to be back in 2018.

Thanks. that would be big. He is a solid goalie who has gotten better every year. With Van Raaphorst and Giles-Harris, among others, back to play in front of a veteran in goal, next year's defense could be solid. So the key will be finding someone who can win face-offs.

53n206
06-04-2017, 03:19 PM
The X man--so important