PDA

View Full Version : 2017 NBA Combine

JasonEvans
05-11-2017, 12:32 PM
But the big thing I want to see if whether or not Tony Bradley participates in the 5-on-5 drills.

I was told today that Bradley made a last minute decision not to participate in the 5-on-5 drills. If true (and I'm not sure it is) it would seem to indicate that Bradley is staying in the draft. A "test the waters" guy would want to participate in the drills to get feedback on his game.

Chad Ford just confirmed that Bradley is not doing the 5-on-5 drills. I agree that is all but confirmation that he is staying in the draft.

Here are the official rosters for the 5-on-5 games. Frank and Semi are on the same team:
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_jmMcgU0AEs0yC.jpg

-Jason "I don't really see a natural PG on Frank's team (Dorsey, Dozier, and Reed were largely SGs in college), which could allow him a real chance to show if he can be a PG at the next level" Evans

luvdahops
05-11-2017, 12:45 PM
Chad Ford just confirmed that Bradley is not doing the 5-on-5 drills. I agree that is all but confirmation that he is staying in the draft.

Here are the official rosters for the 5-on-5 games. Frank and Semi are on the same team:

-Jason "I don't really see a natural PG on Frank's team (Dorsey, Dozier, and Reed were largely SGs in college), which could allow him a real chance to show if he can be a PG at the next level" Evans

Walton, Jr was Michigan's point guard. Solid player who had a huge finish to his career in the Big 10 and NCAA Tournaments.

UrinalCake
05-11-2017, 01:07 PM
Here are the official rosters for the 5-on-5 games.

Will Kennedy Meeks be confused by playing with a different Justin Jackson? "Yo Justin! What did you do to your hair?"

Agree that it will be good for Frank to be evaluated as the only PG on the team. If he shows he can run the team as a true PG then that would give GM's evidence that he can continue to develop those skills. But if he simply looks to get his own points, which is basically all he did for us, last season, then I can see a lot of teams taking a pass on him.

Troublemaker
05-11-2017, 01:18 PM
Will Kennedy Meeks be confused by playing with a different Justin Jackson? "Yo Justin! What did you do to your hair?"

Agree that it will be good for Frank to be evaluated as the only PG on the team. If he shows he can run the team as a true PG then that would give GM's evidence that he can continue to develop those skills. But if he simply looks to get his own points, which is basically all he did for us, last season, then I can see a lot of teams taking a pass on him.

As luvdahops pointed out above, Walton Jr is a pure PG. He was a really good one, too, in college, the key to Michigan's late season surge.

kAzE
05-11-2017, 01:27 PM

Team 4 is stacked . . . by far the best of those teams. Team 1 has a nice starting 5, but the depth of team 4 is the best easily.

ChillinDuke
05-11-2017, 01:28 PM
As luvdahops pointed out above, Walton Jr is a pure PG. He was a really good one, too, in college, the key to Michigan's late season surge.

Yeah, exactly.

Not to mention that other than in theory and in appearance/size, I'm not sure Frank is more a PG than any of the three guys Jason Evans listed as college SG's.

- Chillin

Olympic Fan
05-11-2017, 01:48 PM

The list of players participating is interesting -- of the 38 players participating in the scrimmages, just one -- Semi Ojeleye -- is currently projected as a first round pick by Draft Express ... and he's No. 29.

That's not written in stone, but it's a pretty good indication that on the whole those playing are NOT in the first round, while those who skip the scrimmages at least think they are in the first round.

I guess some of the scrimmage guys could play their way into the first round today and tomorrow ...

JasonEvans
05-11-2017, 02:10 PM
Yeah, exactly.

Not to mention that other than in theory and in appearance/size, I'm not sure Frank is more a PG than any of the three guys Jason Evans listed as college SG's.

- Chillin

My bad on Walton... my eyes just skipped right over him.

I agree that the other guys I listed are (like Frank) PG-wannabes. I am betting that whenever Walton is not in the game, the other guys will all be scrambling to see who can play that role. All will likely be given some chances.

kAzE
05-11-2017, 02:18 PM

I'm not sure why you think Dozier and Reed would want to be point guards. Both of them are 6'6" and long, defensive type guys who look the part of an NBA shooting guard. Particularly Dozier, who is very athletic. Dorsey actually did some point guard at Oregon and was pretty good. He is probably more of a combo guard, though (which I think also applies to Frank).

It would seem to me that Frank and Tyler Dorsey are the ones who truly need to prove they can be a point guard. Dozier and Reed seem like prototypical NBA 2s.

Billy Dat
05-11-2017, 03:04 PM
In listening to a bunch of pods this week focused on the combine, the repeated theme was how much the NBA prizes athleticism. I am not trying to present a Captain Obvious take, but sometimes getting back to the basics clarifies things. The way Frank can explode to the rim and finish, at his size, is NBA ready. If that really shows up in the 5 on 5, I fear he's gone.

MrPoon
05-11-2017, 03:29 PM
Team 4 is stacked . . . by far the best of those teams. Team 1 has a nice starting 5, but the depth of team 4 is the best easily.

Plus they have Ralph Sampson on the bench in case they need post defense.

Jackson has, to me, unquestionable NBA athleticism. The issue is around his NBA PG skills and his ability to defend. When you aren't a top NBA talent, shooting and D can help you hold a roster spot as you develop. He has the first, not the second. I still think he'll be back. This draft is too deep and his rise last season came a bit late. But I would not be shocked either way. I can't imagine making a decision this big at his age (or mine). I know what the experts are saying but if Jackson is NBA talent, Duval can't scare him off. Stay or go based on NBA prospects, not Duke's roster.

Good luck young man, I hope you crush your audition.

scottdude8
05-11-2017, 03:38 PM

Amen to this. I think Walton could make a career for himself as a solid but not flashy backup PG. You put him in against the second unit for 5 minutes and he'll nail a couple threes, run the offense, and not turn the ball over. Plus he's got a ton of "it" factor as shown by Michigan's B1G Tourney Title and Sweet 16 birth. I'm smiling just remembering it.

CDu
05-11-2017, 04:55 PM
Jackson measured 6'3.5" in shoes with an 8'2" standing reach. Solid PG size, quite undersized for a SG. As expected.

Kennard measured 6'5.5" in shoes with an 8'2.5" reach. Not great for him. He is basically an undersized SG with that standing reach.

Giles measured 6'10.5" in shoes with a 9'1.5" reach. Good for him.

CDu
05-11-2017, 07:32 PM
Jackson posted an 11.5 in the lane agility drill. That was the slowest time of any of the PGs who participated. Also slower than Giles (11.08). Not great for Jackson.

Giles is testing out really well on the measurables though.

Olympic Fan
05-11-2017, 07:42 PM
But just the eye test and Jackson played very well in the first scrimmage ... in fact, one writer who watched more of the scrimmage than me said that he was by far the best player on the floor.

CDu
05-11-2017, 07:50 PM
But just the eye test and Jackson played very well in the first scrimmage ... in fact, one writer who watched more of the scrimmage than me said that he was by far the best player on the floor.

Yes, but were there any definite draft picks participating in the 5v5s? Being the best among the 2nd round/undrafted crop isn't necessarily saying much. I guess it is better than not being better than those guys. But still.

Saratoga2
05-11-2017, 08:43 PM
Jackson measured 6'3.5" in shoes with an 8'2" standing reach. Solid PG size, quite undersized for a SG. As expected.

Kennard measured 6'5.5" in shoes with an 8'2.5" reach. Not great for him. He is basically an undersized SG with that standing reach.

Giles measured 6'10.5" in shoes with a 9'1.5" reach. Good for him.

Frank Jackson measured 6'2" in stocking feet, and had a 6'7.5 Wingspan. He weighed in at 202 pounds. Those are PG measurements.

Luke Kenard measured in at 6'4.5" in stocking feet with a 6'5.3 wingspan and weighed in at 196 pounds

Matt Jones measured 6'4" in stocking feet with a 6'8" wingspan and weighed in at 202 pounds

Harry Giles had the largest hands in the draft

I was interested to see Kennedy Meeks weighed in at 277 pounds. No wonder he could hold Karnowski away from the rim.

Olympic Fan
05-11-2017, 08:54 PM
Yes, but were there any definite draft picks participating in the 5v5s? Being the best among the 2nd round/undrafted crop isn't necessarily saying much. I guess it is better than not being better than those guys. But still.

That was exactly my comment when my friend told me Frank was the most impressive player in his scrimmage. I agree that it proves nothing, but it's still better to outclass a bunch of second round (and later) picks than not.

flyingdutchdevil
05-12-2017, 11:43 AM
I suspect Cal knew this and let Knox know Diallo isn't playing at UK next year. That's my guess.

Jeffrey
05-12-2017, 05:58 PM
Being the best among the 2nd round/undrafted crop isn't necessarily saying much. I guess it is better than not being better than those guys. But still.

It says a lot, if you play for the Spurs! After all, that's most of their roster.