PDA

View Full Version : Duke fan always, but......

ingrjc1
05-11-2017, 01:26 PM
Got a chance last week to play a couple of hours of pick up with Rasheed Wallace. He is a friend of one of the guys I play with on a regular basis. What a nice guy. He could not have been more genuine and the guy can really still go, even though he was only playing at about 10% I would say. You grow up with a TV opinion of these guys and sometimes it gets squashed. It was a cool experience.

WillJ
05-11-2017, 01:43 PM
If you see him again, please ask him, on behalf of this Piston fan, why in the name of god he doubled Ginobili in the corner instead of sticking with Robert Horry. (Shudders at the memory.)

duke4ever19
05-11-2017, 03:58 PM
Got a chance last week to play a couple of hours of pick up with Rasheed Wallace. He is a friend of one of the guys I play with on a regular basis. What a nice guy. He could not have been more genuine and the guy can really still go, even though he was only playing at about 10% I would say. You grow up with a TV opinion of these guys and sometimes it gets squashed. It was a cool experience.

That's great.

I ate dinner with Rasheed at a charity event a little over 10 years ago and he was very personable.

I wimped out and didn't needle him about the Duke UNC rivalry, but I did leave that event having to reassess my image of him as a hot-head, walking-talking technical foul.

J.J. Redick said it best on his podcast: It's good to remember that a lot of the guys going to UNC were also recruited by Duke and vice versa.

Olympic Fan
05-11-2017, 04:12 PM
That's great.

I ate dinner with Rasheed at a charity event a little over 10 years ago and he was very personable.

I wimped out and didn't needle him about the Duke UNC rivalry, but I did leave that event having to reassess my image of him as a hot-head, walking-talking technical foul.

J.J. Redick said it best on his podcast: It's good to remember that a lot of the guys going to UNC were also recruited by Duke and vice versa.

Yes, but Rasheed wasn't one of them

blazindw
05-11-2017, 04:43 PM
If you see him again, please ask him, on behalf of this Piston fan, why in the name of god he doubled Ginobili in the corner instead of sticking with Robert Horry. (Shudders at the memory.)

I want to neg you for this comment because that memory still haunts me to this day (also a Pistons fan). Uugggh, could have been back-to-back.

weezie
05-11-2017, 04:45 PM
...on behalf of this Piston fan...

Deeeeetroit Basketbaaaaaallllll. Sheeeeeeeed!

jmck214
05-11-2017, 05:35 PM

As a celtics fan ask him why he didn't get in good enough shape to finish game 7 vs the Lakers in 2010 when they needed him after Kendrick Perkins tore his ACL.

BD80
05-11-2017, 05:42 PM
Sheed really understands basketball, including defense. With the Pistons, he was like a coach on the floor.

I've long struggled with this emotion: I actually kinda like him.

fuse
05-11-2017, 06:45 PM

It's both a fun grammar and leadership trope to substitute "but" with "and".

In this case, a great example of how to sell your point without highlighting a negative. I'm still working on it, and try not to use the word but and substitute and. A great re-thinking/reframing exercise.

WillJ
05-11-2017, 06:50 PM
I want to neg you for this comment because that memory still haunts me to this day (also a Pistons fan). Uugggh, could have been back-to-back.

It's my second worst Piston memory, after Isiah throwing it away to Bird. Thirty years, and it still kills me.

moonpie23
05-11-2017, 07:00 PM
most peeps have the wrong impression of mccants a well....he was a client of mine for awhile...

sagegrouse
05-11-2017, 07:16 PM
most peeps have the wrong impression of mccants a well...he was a client of mine for awhile...

Oh my! A most surprising post from a DBR regular.

Olympic Fan
05-11-2017, 07:44 PM
most peeps have the wrong impression of mccants a well...he was a client of mine for awhile...

Now McCants WAS a guy that Duke recruited ... unfortunately for him, he landed in jail (which is what he called the program in Chapel Hill)

royalblue
05-11-2017, 09:03 PM
Rasheed has the NBA all time technical foul record
with 317 over his career. Dean taught him how to complain I guess.That needs to be added to this thread before things get to warm and fuzzy with Wallace. If my team had Wallace as a player and Brown as a coach they would not be my team until that nightmare was over.
I guess a good thread would be how far do you carry the Carolina hate. I know I carry it a long long long way

royalblue
05-11-2017, 09:16 PM
Now McCants WAS a guy that Duke recruited ... unfortunately for him, he landed in jail (which is what he called the program in Chapel Hill)

"Mcattitude" improved his status as he threw Roy under the bus with this century's Cheating Scandal
Glengarry Glen Ross famous quote is "Always be closing" as it was released in 1992 since then if not before "the Carolina way" has been
"Always be cheating "

duke4ever19
05-12-2017, 12:15 AM
Yes, but Rasheed wasn't one of them

Too bad. He and Stackhouse dunked all over us in 1995.

Simon Gratz High School's finest. USA Today Player of the year. Tied atop the rankings with Stackhouse coming out of high school.

Trey21
05-12-2017, 01:12 AM
Sheed's always kinda been a decisive figure. His media reputation / publicity supersedes his actual personality for a lot of casual basketball fans. He is one of the all time great basketball personalities in my opinion, and his career/overall game is often overlooked - because he arguably invented the first meme-able on the basketball court persona. Besides being the all time leader in techs, like I said above he has a pretty interesting career. Hall of Very Good I'd say.

He was on those delightfully dysfunctional Portland Jail Blazer in the early 00's. In 2004, Got traded to the Hawks. Literally played one game for the Hawks before being traded to Pistons transforming them into title contenders, who went on to beat the star laden Laker squad. A Champion. A four time All-Star. A productive pro until his comeback. He retired for the first time in 2010, came back in 2012 for an injury riddled final year.

Never made an All-NBA, but he played in a STACKED era for 4's. Duncan, KG, Dirk, Chris Webber, Amar'e Stoudemire. Haven't even mentioned Elton Brand and Jermaine O'Neal, both whom made All NBA teams. Still, Sheed was a proto 4 for how the game is played now. Definitely think he had an influence on Chris Bosh's game. Both are pretty underrated defenders.

A cult hero of sorts. If you don't like him I guess I can see why, but basketball is fun because of people like Rasheed Wallace.
Ball don't lie.

lotusland
05-12-2017, 06:18 AM
Are any of you on Mt Hatemore? I see an opening.

sagegrouse
05-12-2017, 08:23 AM
Sheed's always kinda been a divisive figure. His media reputation / publicity supersedes his actual personality for a lot of casual basketball fans.

FIFY

wsb3
05-12-2017, 08:35 AM
There have certainly been players on UNC I did not care for but my hate for UNC is 99% based on their fan base. Oh & the fact that we have now discovered what the Carolina Way actually means..

superdave
05-12-2017, 09:00 AM
Rasheed has the NBA all time technical foul record
with 317 over his career. Dean taught him how to complain I guess.That needs to be added to this thread before things get to warm and fuzzy with Wallace. If my team had Wallace as a player and Brown as a coach they would not be my team until that nightmare was over.
I guess a good thread would be how far do you carry the Carolina hate. I know I carry it a long long long way

Wallace disrespected Cameron. He can go straight to hell.

weezie
05-12-2017, 09:00 AM

lotus, lotus, lotus...smh...

I stand firm. Just as I stood roaring at the Palace while that championship confetti rained down, yea, though many years ago. World championships, World Series championships (sooooo last century, I'm sad to say) and Stanley Cup glory, I'm not backing down.

You cannot shake a Detroiter.

chris13
05-12-2017, 10:11 AM

What did he do? It was so long ago I don't remember.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-12-2017, 10:43 AM
Rasheed was roughly my year and the object of much scorn by the Crazies. It was very well publicized that his SAT scores were extremely low (even by Carolina standards) so we chanted "Rasheed can't Read" at him, building off the old "JR Can't Read" chants, though unlike for JR Reid, where, Dean defended his intelligence, Dean said nothing.

Also, he had the gray patch in his hair so some students started singing "I'm gonna wash that gray right out of my hair" which was a personal favorite

devildeac
05-12-2017, 12:24 PM

No openings currently but willing to consider expansion. ;)

Yet another h**l I can't stand.

devildeac
05-12-2017, 12:26 PM

There's always an opening there for one of "them."

Chicago 1995
05-12-2017, 12:29 PM
Thinking about it thanks to this thread, Sheed's probably my favorite Tar Heel, were I forced to name one.

devildeac
05-12-2017, 12:36 PM
Thinking about it thanks to this thread, Sheed's probably my favorite Tar Heel, were I forced to name one.

Favorite t*r h**ls? Here's my list:

BD80
05-12-2017, 02:35 PM
Favorite t*r h**ls? Here's my list:

I appreciate the sentiment, but would quibble with the order.

WHOneedsSOX
05-12-2017, 02:42 PM

Jeez you played pickup with a 6'10 guy? How tall are you? Couldn't have been very fun to see a 6'10 guy standing in the middle of the key.

lotusland
05-12-2017, 04:21 PM
lotus, lotus, lotus...smh...

I stand firm. Just as I stood roaring at the Palace while that championship confetti rained down, yea, though many years ago. World championships, World Series championships (sooooo last century, I'm sad to say) and Stanley Cup glory, I'm not backing down.

You cannot shake a Detroiter.

But Weezie it's just that sort of compromise that that weakens your resolve and softens the hate. NBA championship aspirations should not dampen the Cheater hate for those worthy of Mt Hatemore. Only the bitterest and most passionate hate can attain that height. Go chase your Motown dreams and I shall guard Mt Hatemore in your stead.

rasputin
05-12-2017, 05:12 PM
But Weezie it's just that sort of compromise that that weakens your resolve and softens the hate. NBA championship aspirations should not dampen the Cheater hate for those worthy of Mt Hatemore. Only the bitterest and most passionate hate can attain that height. Go chase your Motown dreams and I shall guard Mt Hatemore in your stead.

Years ago our cats had a set of felt-covered, catnip-infused toy mice in three colors: one green, one purple, and one light blue. (I permitted this because I figured the cats would tear the thing apart in five minutes.) One of the cats started behaving maternally toward these felt mice, carrying them around, etc., so we named them. The light blue one was named Rasheed, because we figured he was an embarrassment to the program.
Little did I know that as the years went by, the entire program would be an embarrassment.

weezie
05-12-2017, 05:57 PM
...Only the bitterest and most passionate hate can attain that height. Go chase your Motown dreams and I shall guard Mt Hatemore in your stead.

:D:D:D Oh lotusland, you make us laugh...we are amused.