PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe one of Top 25 power 5 Coaches

BD80
05-09-2017, 01:54 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-college-football-coach-rankings-power-five-coaches-ranked-65-26/

"Bottom" 40 listed, leaving Coach C somewhere in top 25 ... as he should be.

OldPhiKap
05-09-2017, 02:15 PM
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/2017-college-football-coach-rankings-power-five-coaches-ranked-65-26/

"Bottom" 40 listed, leaving Coach C somewhere in top 25 ... as he should be.

Cut in the top 25? Never a doubt.

Too bad for Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart, and The Hat for not making the top 25 though. Tiny, meaningful tears being shed on my keyboard.

Surprised Tom Herman outside the top 25, I do not expect that for long (even if this is a rebuilding project for a year or two).

Tom B.
05-09-2017, 02:46 PM
Cut in the top 25? Never a doubt.

Too bad for Will Muschamp, Kirby Smart, and The Hat for not making the top 25 though. Tiny, meaningful tears being shed on my keyboard.

Surprised Tom Herman outside the top 25, I do not expect that for long (even if this is a rebuilding project for a year or two).

Bronco Mendenhall at #32, but Justin Fuente at #34? Granted, Fuente inherited a better team and had more to work with, but still...that's a coach who went 10-4 last season and won a division title two spots behind a guy who went 2-10 and finished last in the same division.

jseelke
05-11-2017, 11:28 AM
Hi all - Just to follow up. Cutcliffe was listed as 17 (last year he was at 15):

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-the-top-25-power-five-college-football-coaches-entering-the-2017-season/

sagegrouse
05-11-2017, 11:37 AM
Hi all - Just to follow up. Cutcliffe was listed as 17 (last year he was at 15):

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ranking-the-top-25-power-five-college-football-coaches-entering-the-2017-season/

Great credit for Coach Cutcliffe.

FWIW, the top five are -- Saban, Urban, Dabo, Jimbo and Mike Harbaugh (???).

I suppose Harbaugh has the chops from his time at Stanford and the 49ers, but this seems like a stretch.

OldPhiKap
05-11-2017, 12:18 PM
Top 20, looking to move to the Top 10. Fight, Cut, Fight!

Spanarkel
05-11-2017, 12:41 PM
Saying Kirby Smart is the 54th best coach in Power 5 football is tantamount to saying that a guy who shoots 4/10 from the FT line one season is not a good shooter: obviously too small a sample size to make any meaningful conclusions at this time.

OldPhiKap
05-11-2017, 12:57 PM
Saying Kirby Smart is the 54th best coach in Power 5 football is tantamount to saying that a guy who shoots 4/10 from the FT line one season is not a good shooter: obviously too small a sample size to make any meaningful conclusions at this time.

Since you're in Athens, I assume you'd agree that BullDawgNation has a pretty short leash on Kirby. They expect great things this year given the recruiting class.

I think Kirby will be a good coach, but do not know whether he will get enough time in Athens to show it.

Spanarkel
05-11-2017, 02:21 PM
Since you're in Athens, I assume you'd agree that BullDawgNation has a pretty short leash on Kirby. They expect great things this year given the recruiting class.

I think Kirby will be a good coach, but do not know whether he will get enough time in Athens to show it.

Yes, you're right. Kirby is under the gun to produce with multiple natties having been won by adjacent states' schools in the recent past(and Clemson's having a Gainesville, GA native at QB to boot).

JasonEvans
05-11-2017, 05:35 PM
Yes, you're right. Kirby is under the gun to produce with multiple natties having been won by adjacent states' schools in the recent past(and Clemson's having a Gainesville, GA native at QB to boot).

Well, I dunno if I would say "under the gun." He has only been there one year and everyone knows the roster he inherited from Richt was flawed. Kirby has recruited quite well and I think the fans and administration will give him some time to show what he can do with those recruits. It would take a couple truly disastrous years for him to be done before the 4 years on his contract. Provided they win 7 or 8 games, GA will let him coach at least 4 years.

-Jason "I am no GA insider, but I don't get the sense there is a panic around the program right now" Evans

OldPhiKap
05-11-2017, 07:39 PM
Well, I dunno if I would say "under the gun." He has only been there one year and everyone knows the roster he inherited from Richt was flawed. Kirby has recruited quite well and I think the fans and administration will give him some time to show what he can do with those recruits. It would take a couple truly disastrous years for him to be done before the 4 years on his contract. Provided they win 7 or 8 games, GA will let him coach at least 4 years.

-Jason "I am no GA insider, but I don't get the sense there is a panic around the program right now" Evans

If he goes four years and never exceeds 8-4 in a season, no way he survives IMO. UGA ran off Richt, whose last five years were:

2011: 10-4 (7-1) 1st (Eastern); L Outback
2012: 12–2 (7–1) T–1st (Eastern); W Capital One
2013: 8–5 (5–3) 3rd (Eastern); L Gator
2014: 10–3 (6–2) 2nd (Eastern); W Belk
2015: 9–3 (5–3) T–2nd (Eastern) -- fired before Bowl

I'm not saying it is fair or rational. To the contrary, it's absurd. Richt exceeded eight wins in 11 of his 15 seasons; tied that mark three times; and only came up short once. "But he's no Nick Saban. . . ."

And Clemson winning doesn't help. Clemson's not terribly far from Athens.

JasonEvans
05-12-2017, 09:11 AM
If he goes four years and never exceeds 8-4 in a season, no way he survives IMO.

You are probably right, though my main point was that I think the new coach gets some leeway in his first few seasons. I'm not so sure we will ever be able to test your 8-win hypothesis though because Kirby Smart used some Jedi mind trick kinda thing on his most talented juniors to convince them to come back for their senior season. As a result, it would take some pretty bad luck (or horrid coaching) for UGA to win fewer than 9 games this coming year.

-Jason "all that said, UGA football fans are worse than NC State basketball fans in terms of getting frustrated that their coach isn't doing a better job" Evans

Spanarkel
05-12-2017, 10:12 AM
You are probably right, though my main point was that I think the new coach gets some leeway in his first few seasons. I'm not so sure we will ever be able to test your 8-win hypothesis though because Kirby Smart used some Jedi mind trick kinda thing on his most talented juniors to convince them to come back for their senior season. As a result, it would take some pretty bad luck (or horrid coaching) for UGA to win fewer than 9 games this coming year.

-Jason "all that said, UGA football fans are worse than NC State basketball fans in terms of getting frustrated that their coach isn't doing a better job" Evans

Grayson Allen is a big UGA football fan(hailing as he does from Jax, which some refer to as the capital of South Georgia). UGA AD Greg McGarity seems to be losing popularity among the Georgia faithful, and if he is let go in the next several years, the new AD will likely want to bring in his own football coach, unless Kirby has managed to get UGA to ATL for the SEC championship game/possibly beyond by then. Several other sports that have enjoyed success at UGA such as baseball and gymnastics haven't achieved much recently with McGarity's hand picked HCs. Having said that, I'm a Duke grad living among semi-delusional UGA football fans who feel that UGA is one of the top 5 programs in the country. It's true that UGA football brings in the money, but results on the field haven't been awe inspiring in the past 10 years.