PDA

View Full Version : Best beaches in North Carolina. Time to start thinking.

53n206
05-08-2017, 07:55 PM
Raised in Norfolk, summered at Virginia beach, college at Duke, from them on all over. Have been living in Oklahoma City for 40+ years. . Will only go to the beach in North Carolina. Why?. Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks are too crowded. Where?
Bald Head Island of course. Magnificent beach, no high-rises. On a typical summer day, at 10 AM, it may be half mile in either direction before you see another person. Good seafood food as one would expect. Golf and tennis for those in need Oh, I forgot--–no cars. Golf cart and bicycles are the modes of transportation. No cars allowed on the island. Ferries bring one back and forth.
Okay, enough from me. Let's hear from others about their favorite beaches.

weezie
05-08-2017, 08:53 PM
Dude! Come back to Sandbridge! It's the best kept secret in VA. Quiet, non-commercial, gentle slope to the beachfront.

PSurprise
05-08-2017, 09:30 PM
Do you have kids with you? My family goes to Emerald Isle every summer. Pretty quiet, no high rises (almost all single family homes) but also not much else to do but enjoy the beach, maybe play a little putt putt and eat seafood. The (very) little Town of Swansboro is right over the bridge. And The NC aquarium is about 15 minutes down the road as well. You might want to check it out if you get a chance.

53n206
05-08-2017, 10:13 PM
Dude! Come back to Sandbridge! It's the best kept secret in VA. Quiet, non-commercial, gentle slope to the beachfront.

Strange that I never spent much time in Sandbridge. Always summered at the north end of the Beach. A little late for me to start going to a new area, but I'll think about it. Many of my
friends love it there.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-08-2017, 10:17 PM
I would suggest Ocracoke, but 75% of the charm is that no one's there for 8 months of the year.... so, uh, don't go there!

Newton_14
05-08-2017, 10:38 PM
Raised in Norfolk, summered at Virginia beach, college at Duke, from them on all over. Have been living in Oklahoma City for 40+ years. . Will only go to the beach in North Carolina. Why?. Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks are too crowded. Where?
Bald Head Island of course. Magnificent beach, no high-rises. On a typical summer day, at 10 AM, it may be half mile in either direction before you see another person. Good seafood food as one would expect. Golf and tennis for those in need Oh, I forgot--–no cars. Golf cart and bicycles are the modes of transportation. No cars allowed on the island. Ferries bring one back and forth.
Okay, enough from me. Let's hear from others about their favorite beaches.

We go to Atlantic Beach every year. We stay at Salter Path, but visit Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, Morehead City, and the entire Island from Atlantic Beach side to the Emerald Isle side. Lots of small, quaint, historic towns in between the two ends of the Island. Great area for families, much quieter than say, Myrtle Beach in SC.

Walking the boardwalk at Beaufort is really cool, especially if the wild ponies come out on the island across the inlet, like they did when we were there last year. There are also some cool boat/ferry tours in Beaufort as well.

We love the area.

Indoor66
05-09-2017, 07:57 AM
We go to Atlantic Beach every year. We stay at Salter Path, but visit Beaufort, Atlantic Beach, Morehead City, and the entire Island from Atlantic Beach side to the Emerald Isle side. Lots of small, quaint, historic towns in between the two ends of the Island. Great area for families, much quieter than say, Myrtle Beach in SC.

Walking the boardwalk at Beaufort is really cool, especially if the wild ponies come out on the island across the inlet, like they did when we were there last year. There are also some cool boat/ferry tours in Beaufort as well.

We love the area.

If you have an interest in history, read up about Salter Path, squatters and Teddy Roosevelt and his children.

aimo
05-09-2017, 08:19 AM
I would suggest Ocracoke, but 75% of the charm is that no one's there for 8 months of the year... so, uh, don't go there!

Exactly! I love Ocracoke. I love being able to walk on the beach and feel like there's no one else on Earth. Really good food, too. I would recommend Captain's Landing for a place to stay. Spotless, on Silver Lake, every room has a deck with a view of the lighthouse.

budwom
05-09-2017, 09:06 AM
I love so many of the great NC beaches, but not in the summer! Too hot for me, and WAY too crowded for the most part. The Fall is great time to visit, Sept, Oct....water still warm, air temps
very nice...little traffic.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-09-2017, 11:03 AM
Exactly! I love Ocracoke. I love being able to walk on the beach and feel like there's no one else on Earth. Really good food, too. I would recommend Captain's Landing for a place to stay. Spotless, on Silver Lake, every room has a deck with a view of the lighthouse.

We have discovered a studio apartment where we can cook fresh seafood, is dog friendly, and has an outdoor patio with a grill that we rent for an embarrassingly small amount in super-offseason.

Thanks to this thread, I just inquired about a ten day visit in October.

To your point, aimo - it is truly amazing that there are and beaches where you can still walk all day long, not see a single man made building, and might not even see another person. Feels surreal.

rthomas
05-09-2017, 04:16 PM
We alternate between NC and SC. In NC, we go to Duck. Love playing The Currituck Club (http://www.clubcorp.com/Clubs/The-Currituck-Club).

In SC, we go to Pawleys Island (actually North Litchfield), next to Huntington Beach State Park.

Bob Green
05-09-2017, 06:30 PM
Virginia Beach and the Outer Banks are too crowded.

Just south of Virginia Beach proper is Dam Neck Naval Base which has several miles of beautiful beach without the crowds. Of course, one must have a military identification card to access the base and the uncrowded beach. There is a nice bath house next to the parking lot for showering and changing.

Seeing as I was born and raised in North Carolina I visited many different beaches. Kure Beach was always a nice one. My absolute favorite memory of Carolina Beach is the donuts there was a shop with the best donuts ever.

Personally, my favorite beach is Myrtle Beach but it is always crowded.

My travels in the Navy allowed me to visit great beaches in Hawaii, the Philippines, Thailand, Guam and other places.

Worst beaches ever are in California. Yuck! Cold water and pollution. I learned something in Oceanography class. Currents on the west coast of continents come from the north i.e. cold Alaskan water. You gotta love the Gulf Stream effect on east coast beaches. :cool:

ncexnyc
05-09-2017, 06:41 PM
My family and I prefer Emerald Isle and Top Sail beaches over those at Myrtle Beach. Those two NC beaches are all lovely sand, while those in SC tended to be filled with rocks and broken oyster shells.

aimo
05-09-2017, 08:21 PM
My family and I prefer Emerald Isle and Top Sail beaches over those at Myrtle Beach. Those two NC beaches are all lovely sand, while those in SC tended to be filled with rocks and broken oyster shells.

And cigarette butts.

Tripping William
05-10-2017, 08:46 AM
My absolute favorite memory of Carolina Beach is the donuts there was a shop with the best donuts ever.

Bob--I believe you are thinking of Britts Donut Shop. Their donuts are delicious (although, unless you get there before they actually open, the wait can be extremely long).

We have spent many a week at Topsail during the early-college-football-season timeframe. A very quiet beach, basically residences-only (at least right on the water).

Highlander
05-10-2017, 12:41 PM
We visited Sunset beach last year. Very quiet, family style feel. Much different from North Myrtle, our usual destination. Houses are spacious, and the island has some neat features, primarily as a loggerhead turtle habitat. A nice walk down the beach to Kindred Spirit is a pleasant getaway. No high rises or condo's either.

You are also close to Calabash for lots of seafood options, and within an hour of Myrtle Beach and all it offers.

Only disadvantages is that houses are quite a bit off the beach (dunes are about a quarter mile long), so walking down and back is a bit of a haul. Most of the touristy stuff is off the island, including restaurants and golf courses.

nocilla
05-10-2017, 01:05 PM
Do you have kids with you? My family goes to Emerald Isle every summer. Pretty quiet, no high rises (almost all single family homes) but also not much else to do but enjoy the beach, maybe play a little putt putt and eat seafood. The (very) little Town of Swansboro is right over the bridge. And The NC aquarium is about 15 minutes down the road as well. You might want to check it out if you get a chance.

We've been going to emerald Isle for decades now. Great for families with small kids if you don't want crowds.

May I ask where you go for seafood? We have tried many places that are pretty good, but haven't found a really great place.

PSurprise
05-10-2017, 02:10 PM
We've been going to emerald Isle for decades now. Great for families with small kids if you don't want crowds.

May I ask where you go for seafood? We have tried many places that are pretty good, but haven't found a really great place.

Honestly, my family usually stays in and makes food every night at the house. We go to Swansboro when we go out (which is usually only once a week if that). Icehouse is okay. I'm not a huge fan of animals that don't have legs or shoulders, so I can't really give a good review of the seafood. But my family says that it's pretty good. We go to Cap'n Willis Seafood for fresh shrimp (which I've actually had, and it's pretty good, but again, I'm not a connoisseur).

Devilwin
05-10-2017, 04:44 PM
I fish a lot, so I love Morehead City, Top Sail, Salter Path, Emerald Isle. Also Fort Fisher near Wilmington. The rock jetties there hold vast numbers of both gray and spotted sea trout most of the year.
Oh, the Outer Banks in Fall. Red drum so big they'll pull you in!

rsvman
05-10-2017, 04:53 PM

+1. That's where my family always goes.

weezie
05-10-2017, 05:06 PM
+1. That's where my family always goes.

Ever leave the kids with the grandparents and sneak out to Terrapin with your wife? Superb chef. Rivals anybody anywhere...

OZZIE4DUKE
05-10-2017, 09:10 PM
Emerald Isle is probably the best beach, sand wise, in nc, and it's great for families. We are spending this week at Wrightsville Beach. More built up than it used to be, but what isn't?

Here's a picture from our 5th floor balcony!

duketaylor
05-11-2017, 12:07 PM

Also has excellent key lime pies at the seafood shop near the aquarium.

VA_BDevil
05-11-2017, 06:28 PM
Can't argue with Bald Head Island. I went for the first time 2 years ago and hope to make it back soon, ideally talking my wife into buying/building a place there. However, if you want to give the Outer Banks another shot while avoiding the crowds, I recommend Hatteras Island. Except for Avon, the beaches are never crowded. I've been to the Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo area many times, always with plenty of room to spread out.

FYI - my interest in BHI was piqued after reading The Battle for North Carolina's Coast (https://www.amazon.com/Battle-North-Carolinas-Coast-Evolutionary-ebook/dp/B005D7V55E/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1494540139&sr=1-1&keywords=battle+for+the+outer+banks), a book by some folks in the ECU Geological Sciences department. I'd always had an interest in buying property on Hatteras Island, but a little worried about hurricanes, the general fragility of the island, sea level rise, and its dependence on the Oregon Inlet Bridge and Route 12. One aspect of the book was offering up BHI as an example of how Hatteras Island could eventually become more sustainable and resilient by adopting ferry service for island access, as BHI does. While the focus of the book was the ongoing evolution of the Outer Banks and human impact, the BHI example left an impression on me. Anyway, it's a good read if you have an interest in the Outer Banks; and I still recommend Hatteras Island for a great vacation - I'm just iffy on buying property there.

rasputin
05-11-2017, 06:35 PM
Can't argue with Bald Head Island. I went for the first time 2 years ago and hope to make it back soon, ideally talking my wife into buying/building a place there. However, if you want to give the Outer Banks another shot while avoiding the crowds, I recommend Hatteras Island. Except for Avon, the beaches are never crowded. I've been to the Rodanthe/Waves/Salvo area many times, always with plenty of room to spread out.

FYI - my interest in BHI was piqued after reading The Battle for North Carolina's Coast (https://www.amazon.com/Battle-North-Carolinas-Coast-Evolutionary-ebook/dp/B005D7V55E/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1494540139&sr=1-1&keywords=battle+for+the+outer+banks), a book by some folks in the ECU Geological Sciences department. I'd always had an interest in buying property on Hatteras Island, but a little worried about hurricanes, the general fragility of the island, sea level rise, and its dependence on the Oregon Inlet Bridge and Route 12. One aspect of the book was offering up BHI as an example of how Hatteras Island could eventually become more sustainable and resilient by adopting ferry service for island access, as BHI does. While the focus of the book was the ongoing evolution of the Outer Banks and human impact, the BHI example left an impression on me. Anyway, it's a good read if you have an interest in the Outer Banks; and I still recommend Hatteras Island for a great vacation - I'm just iffy on buying property there.

I've spent a week at Bald Head on seven occasions, the last of which being, IIRC, 2005. We were concerned even then that the developers were starting to put a house anyplace they could put a house, and that the beaches would get crowded. I take it from your post that it hasn't happened yet.

fuse
05-11-2017, 06:42 PM
Does Beech Mountain count? <ducking>

VA_BDevil
05-11-2017, 08:04 PM
I've spent a week at Bald Head on seven occasions, the last of which being, IIRC, 2005. We were concerned even then that the developers were starting to put a house anyplace they could put a house, and that the beaches would get crowded. I take it from your post that it hasn't happened yet.

Actually I was there in April, so I can't speak for the crowds in the summer. It's definitely wide open spaces in the springtime.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-12-2017, 06:14 AM

After spending vacations on Ocracoke, Hatteras feels positively crowded.

53n206
05-12-2017, 04:19 PM
Actually I was there in April, so I can't speak for the crowds in the summer. It's definitely wide open spaces in the springtime.

Summers are marvelous on Bald Head Island. Definitely not overcrowded. The price of the real estate makes it very difficult to envision overcrowding. A major factor in keeping the crowds down is that one must take a ferry over and back. No cars. Inconvenient to shower after spending the day on the beach if you don't have a house there.
Fine golf course, a couple of reasonable restaurants. Most people cook at home. It's a big family vacation spot.
Saying that I still like the Outer Banks for a quick trip, but only during off season.

jimsumner
05-12-2017, 10:43 PM
Got back from Ocracoke yesterday. In April, May, September or October, it might be my favorite place on the planet.

We haven't tried it during summer vacation in years.

Of course, it depends on what you're looking for. We use if for decompression, walking in the village and fresh seafood.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-12-2017, 10:44 PM
Got back from Ocracoke yesterday. In April, May, September or October, it might be my favorite place on the planet.

Amen, brother. Agreed on all accounts.

It is pretty excellent in Decemeber, in fact.

53n206
05-13-2017, 10:31 AM

Of course, it depends on what you're looking for. We use if for decompression, walking in the village and fresh seafood.

I gotta go to Ocracoke soon!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-13-2017, 10:55 AM
I gotta go to Ocracoke soon!

If you go, make sure to explain to everyone that there's no golf courses, no beachfront hotels, and no lifeguards and that they probably wouldn't like it.

;)

jimsumner
05-13-2017, 11:32 AM
If you go, make sure to explain to everyone that there's no golf courses, no beachfront hotels, and no lifeguards and that they probably wouldn't like it.

;)

Don't forget to tell them they'll need a long ferry ride and there are no McDonald's. In fact, there aren't any chains, not motels, not restaurants, not grocery stores, not gift shops. Everything locally owned.

OldPhiKap
05-13-2017, 11:35 AM

;)

Don't forget to tell them they'll need a long ferry ride and there are no McDonald's. In fact, there aren't any chains, not motels, not restaurants, not grocery stores, not gift shops. Everything locally owned.

And if they do not express gratitude about Weck of the above, well -- enjoy Myrtle.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-13-2017, 02:30 PM

Not a single Wings or movie theater or a Rock-ola Cafe. Not sure what the point is.

aimo
05-13-2017, 06:37 PM
Amen, brother. Agreed on all accounts.

It is pretty excellent in Decemeber, in fact.

Was there Veterans Day weekend 2014 and 2015. Couldn't make it 2016 and I really missed it. Good time to go b/c fewer people but restaurants like Jason's, D'agio, and sometimes Pony Island are still open. You might catch Howard's for a day or two. Also, Orange Blossom Bakery in Buxton is usually open until Thanksgiving.

duketaylor
05-13-2017, 08:20 PM

Also, they may meet my aunt, who's known as the "Bird Lady," and has rescued many animals there and lives there. She's written "Ocracoke Wild" and three other books.

https://www.amazon.com/Ocracoke-Wild-Naturalists-Outer-Island/dp/1878086375

I've been to Hatteras Island, but not Ocracoke, my bad.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-13-2017, 09:45 PM
Was there Veterans Day weekend 2014 and 2015. Couldn't make it 2016 and I really missed it. Good time to go b/c fewer people but restaurants like Jason's, D'agio, and sometimes Pony Island are still open. You might catch Howard's for a day or two. Also, Orange Blossom Bakery in Buxton is usually open until Thanksgiving.

Howard's closes October 31st. That's when it gets empty. And blissful.

I mean, um, boring.

VA_BDevil
05-15-2017, 12:45 PM
I haven't been to Ocracoke in about 20 years - when a seagull pooped on my shoulder while on the ferry. Maybe it's time to forgive and forget, and pay another visit.

Reddevil
05-15-2017, 01:28 PM
All the OBXers have destroyed the outer banks. When I was a kid there were just cottages on the beach, and they were at least a stones throw apart from one another. You could go inside the Wright Bros Memorial and there was no grass on the hill. Ocracoke was just a day trip to a desolate beach with very little on it. It was just nice to feed the seagulls bread on the ferry and collect undisturbed shells in the shallows. Of course you could go up the lighthouse at its original location, and it was annoying if anyone was within 50 yards of you on the beach (why are those people crowding us?). Oh, and you could build bonfires on the beach and shoot fireworks. No one cared. Now get off my sand! Too late for that of course, but I am glad I got to see many beaches when the only people that actually live on or near the beach were fishermen that made a living at it. Some like the outer banks were just starting to be developed, but sparsely. It is funny to think that once in this country, mostly only the poor lived near the water, and they had the good sense not to live right on it (of course rebuilding would not have been an option). Now the reversal is complete and it is hard to find anything that is remote without paying through the nose. Thanks for the memories - I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-15-2017, 01:37 PM
All the OBXers have destroyed the outer banks. When I was a kid there were just cottages on the beach, and they were at least a stones throw apart from one another. You could go inside the Wright Bros Memorial and there was no grass on the hill. Ocracoke was just a day trip to a desolate beach with very little on it. It was just nice to feed the seagulls bread on the ferry and collect undisturbed shells in the shallows. Of course you could go up the lighthouse at its original location, and it was annoying if anyone was within 50 yards of you on the beach (why are those people crowding us?). Oh, and you could build bonfires on the beach and shoot fireworks. No one cared. Now get off my sand! Too late for that of course, but I am glad I got to see many beaches when the only people that actually live on or near the beach were fishermen that made a living at it. Some like the outer banks were just starting to be developed, but sparsely. It is funny to think that once in this country, mostly only the poor lived near the water, and they had the good sense not to live right on it (of course rebuilding would not have been an option). Now the reversal is complete and it is hard to find anything that is remote without paying through the nose. Thanks for the memories - I now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

Ocracoke abides.

Indoor66
05-15-2017, 02:33 PM
I haven't been to Ocracoke in about 20 years - when a seagull pooped on my shoulder while on the ferry. Maybe it's time to forgive and forget, and pay another visit.

Be careful, birds are like elephants about some things. 😎

DukieInKansas
05-15-2017, 03:33 PM

For some of us, this is a huge selling point!

That being said, I will be spending a week in Duck this summer - family reunion.