PDA

View Full Version : Guardians of the Galaxy 2 - Spoilers

Udaman
05-05-2017, 04:55 PM
OK....I know there's another thread on this, but JE specifically avoided spoilers....so here's one with them.

Saw it.

Pretty much agree 100% with JE. It was good. I enjoyed it. But it wasn't Top 10 of all time. Not close. I would still put it in the Top Tier....but near the bottom.

I thought the humor was great. I liked mini-Groot. I liked some of the emotional turmoil. There were several times I laughed out loud. Drax was outstanding. As was Rocket. As JE said, it's clear this group likes working together and had fun making the movie.

But....plenty of things I didn't like. Notably (in order)

3. Some of the running gags went on too long. And they did it more than once. Groot bringing back the wrong stuff...was funny the first 2-3 times, then they beat it into the ground. Making fun of LaserFace. The "do you have any tape" gag. It's minor...but they had something funny and took it just a step too far.

2. Yondu's Death. Sorry, but he was just an integral part of the story to me. Don't understand why they killed him off (and I'll add, that I like his talent to control his arrow, but sort of like Quicksilver, it's a thing that's too good to be true. How can you stop it?). Also, his back story was amazingly forced. No hint of any regret in movie 1, and suddenly you see him as a guy who was crying on the inside? That, literally, came out of nowhere.

1. The father. I stayed spoiler free. Had no idea Kurt Russell was in the movie, or his father. And yeah, it was obvious there was going to be a twist with his story (oh, and let me add that the technology used to show these actors as being young again, is so damn believable)....but the twist ended up being amazingly dumb to me. He wants to destroy all the planets in the Galaxy...so that he can be the only one alive? I think that's what it was. Or so that he could then build things the way he wanted? It made no sense. It was extremely forced. As was the idea that he killed Quill's mom because it was too hard coming back and being with her. Forced. And don't get me started on the big blobs that suddenly started growing - but could only grow with two of them working on it together. What? And I hate (HATE) things that would kill tens of thousands of people. Maybe not on Earth (because it seemed more rural) but on that one planet, it was wiping out large buildings in a major metropolitan area. Again, none of this made any sense to me. And it's too bad. Because I kind of liked the mythology of the "God" coming down and falling in love with the "mortal." Either that, or I was kind of hoping that in the end you would find out that Yondu was really his dad (though I guess in a way, he was). Oh, and one more thing....why would Peter lose his power if his dad died? He's still offspring of a God. The God made that planet, not the other way around? I hope they end up not going in that direction, because I kind of like Peter as a half of a God. Especially in the Infinity War.

Anyway, that's my take. Liked it. Will probably see it again. Very funny at times. Top Tier....but not one of the very best.

Udaman
05-05-2017, 05:34 PM
Oh, and one more example of them beating something into the ground (taking it just 1-2 places too far) are the end credits. We have one, then another, then another, then another....than another. Five! And only 2 of them were good...and the one hinting at the next movie made no sense (basically just showed a giant battery looking thing). It was a recurring theme.....took a good joke and ran it too much into the ground, thereby making the good joke less good.

JasonEvans
05-05-2017, 06:05 PM
A few comments...

First of all, I agree with nearly everything you say about the problems with the film. I especially hated the unclear and inexplicable reasons that Ego (Kurt Russell) wanted to destroy entire worlds. It just did not make sense. The horror that he had found numerous offspring and killed them because they did not have the "spark" within them worked for me and made it clear he was a really bad guy, but the whole thing with the plants that would grow and devour the planets was very HUH?!?!?

By the way, I thought the movie missed a golden opportunity with the turn of Ego from father figure to maniacal devil. We got several scenes with Gamorah being suspicious of him and Mantis seeming concerned and almost giving up what she knew. As a result, Ego's turn was expected. The film blew and opportunity to make that turn a real surprise. We could have been just as shocked as Peter was. All the movie needs to do is not have anyone be suspicious and then reveal the skulls of the children at the same moment we see Ego reveal his real plan for Peter (if they want Mantis to have a good side, she could have betrayed Ego after he was already turned). I mean, how great would it have been for all of us to be shocked instead of the movie giving it away earlier than necessary. Sigh...

To answer a could questions: "why would Peter lose his power if his dad died?" Both Peter and Ego's power came from the "light" at the heart of the planet (which was shown as a giant brain). I actually though the movie did a decent job of explaining this. The "light/brain" just existed and then it began to create things around itself, turning itself into a planet. At one point, it created a form that it could use to explore (that's what Ego/Kurt Russell was). Later on, it used that form to have offspring, one of whom (Peter) actually inherited a tiny bit of the "light." But, once the light was extinguished, Peter's ability to tap into it to perform god-like acts was gone. Peter is still the son of a Celestial and probably can do more than a regular human (I bet he would kick Hawkeye and Black Widow's butts!) but he is no longer god-like because the source of his powers is extinguished. Make sense?

Oh, and as for the post-credit scenes, I agree they were sorta blaaah. The stuff with the Ravager guy trying to control the arrow was sorta cute (that character is played by Jamie Gunn's brother). Teenaged Groot was funny and I am glad they had that scene (shows us Groot is growing up and will be more useful in the next movie). The gathering of Sly and the other Ravagers was meaningless (comic book fans know this group as the original Guardians from the 1960s... I just don't care at all about them). Like nearly all Stan Lee cameos, the scene with the Watchers was a total waste and stupid. But, most importantly, the scene with the "giant battery" was a big deal. That "giant battery" contains Adam Warlock (http://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/05/guardians-of-the-galaxy-adam-warlock-end-of-credits), a very powerful character in the comics and someone who could play a role in the Infinity Stones storyline. He is supposed to be powered by the Soul Stone, which is the only stone we have not seen yet. Clearly, the movies are going away from the story in the comics, but it seems likely that Adam Warlock will be a significant figure in some upcoming movie (probably Guardians 3).

-Jason "note, I am not a comic book geek and had no idea who Adam Warlock was until a few months ago when there began to be more and more talk about how he might fit into the Guardians future or the Infinity Stones story" Evans

Olympic Fan
05-05-2017, 06:15 PM
Found this site that explains the five post credit scenes (note: contains spoilers):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0ULrlQmIyg

Udaman
05-05-2017, 06:34 PM
Agree with you JE on the 2 good end credit scenes. Teenager Groot was hysterical.

OK, the Adam thing makes more sense now....but I bet it's more Guardians 3 than Infinity War. The latter comes out before the former, I know....but they also need something for Guardians 3, and Infinity War will have Thanos as the bad guy.

JasonEvans
05-05-2017, 09:56 PM
OK, the Adam thing makes more sense now...but I bet it's more Guardians 3 than Infinity War. The latter comes out before the former, I know...but they also need something for Guardians 3, and Infinity War will have Thanos as the bad guy.

Adam Warlock is not a bad guy in the comics so I am far from convinced he will be one in Vol 3, if that is where he appears. By the way, it is my understanding that the first time Thanos attempts to use the Infinity Gauntlet to destroy Earth -- the first time Thanos battles the Avengers -- Adam Warlock is the hero who defeats Thanos ( though there is some freaky stuff involving time travel and parallel dimensions so I doubt this is how the movie will handle the story ).

OldPhiKap
05-06-2017, 06:43 PM
Meh. Oh, and a lot of crap blows up.

Wander
05-06-2017, 09:19 PM
Fun movie. Seems like this should be a trivial thing, but I give the movie props for the trailers not giving away the plot. I think most of the trailers came from the first 30 minutes of the movie with the initial meaningless fight against the alien slug thing and the subsequent chase.

Here's my petty complaint: the Stan Lee cameos have gone from a cute little easter egg to an embarrassing, horrible distraction that just screams "Hey, in case you forgot, you're watching a fake movie about fake characters!" Enough. And having it again in the end credits was equally idiotic (it should have been Hawkeye or some other minor Avenger making a sarcastic comment at the new blue goo mountain in Missouri).

LasVegas
05-07-2017, 02:32 AM
You can definitely tell who was a fan of the comics vs who wasn't based on these posts. I think you guys are being way too hard on this movie. A lot of the issues being talked about are sooooo nitpicky.

LasVegas
05-07-2017, 03:05 AM
And the stan Lee cameo was really really really important this time because he was talking to 3 watchers who could possibly help everyone destroy thanos (Uato has helped earth heroes many times). Non-comic book readers would be lost on that though. And a lot of other things in these movies, to be honest, like Yondu being a team member on the original guardians way before this group. There is just ALOT of comics and marvel has a tough time explaining everything. Or maybe they don't want to. I'm not sure. But this movie was probably the most confusing one for people who don't know the comics well. For the record, I like it. A lot. It's top 3 MCU for me. But I really loved the character development that took place. We didn't have really any of that in the first one and it was much needed, imo. Especially if they are all going to come together to fight thanos

Wander
05-07-2017, 02:38 PM
And the stan Lee cameo was really really really important this time because he was talking to 3 watchers who could possibly help everyone destroy thanos

"Really really really important" is the Red Wedding, Luke blowing up the Death Star, Not Penny's Boat, and Laettner's buzzer beater. That random scene doesn't even qualify as regular-important. Besides, you're missing my point. Even if they want to bring Watchers into the Thanos storyline, they could have easily had them in the movie without Stan Lee, whose scenes are a pathetic fourth-wall-breaking distraction.

JBDuke
05-07-2017, 03:34 PM
I was okay with the first quick scene with Stan Lee during the jumps Yandu and Rocket and the rest had to take to get to Ego, but I agree with the rest of you that the credits scene was just silly and added nothing. I'd also have dropped the credits scene with the original Guardians. They could have just had a quick shot of them at Yandu's funeral as a sort of easter egg without needing the credits scene. That would have left us with Kraglin playing with the arrow and Teen Groot, both of which were funny/cute and fitting within the tone of the rest of the movie. And then the Sovereign/Adam Warlock scene would have been a good teaser for either a Guardians 3 or the Infinity War - however the character will be introduced. I would have been happy with that.

As for the movie itself, I'll echo the others that found it fun and entertaining, but not as good as the first. And I would also agree that the biggest problem with this one is Ego's plot and the way it is revealed to the audience.

Still, it's a fun, big-screen romp. Worth the price of admission for me and the family.

LasVegas
05-07-2017, 07:17 PM
"Really really really important" is the Red Wedding, Luke blowing up the Death Star, Not Penny's Boat, and Laettner's buzzer beater. That random scene doesn't even qualify as regular-important. Besides, you're missing my point. Even if they want to bring Watchers into the Thanos storyline, they could have easily had them in the movie without Stan Lee, whose scenes are a pathetic fourth-wall-breaking distraction.

For sure they could of cut Stan lee and included them some other way. I think Gunn does a better job than almost everyone combined in throwing in little things here and there that only the comic book fans will get and I really appreciate that. Also, stan lee seems to be playing the same character so maybe his plays some larger role in the end. Doubtful, but possible.

Olympic Fan
05-07-2017, 08:36 PM
Obviously, film buffs will equate the Stan Lee cameos to Hitchcock's famous cameos.

Those started when Hitchcock was short bodies for a crowd scene and he put himself and several other crewpersons in the shot. It became his trademark and was something that film goers learned to look for. There were times when he had to be really clever -- such as Lifeboat, when he appeared as a before/after weight loss ad in a floating newspaper.

But Hitchcock told Truffaut that his appearances started to become a distraction, so he starting inserting them earlier and earlier to get them out of the way.

The Lee cameos in most of the Marvel movies are a great tribute to one of the key artists at the creation of Marvel empire. But I like the idea that his most recent appearance in the credits of Guardians 2 set him up as a Watcher, which would explain his frequent cameos. I'll be interested to see if there is any payoff to that scene in Guardians 3 or the Infinity Wars

LasVegas
05-07-2017, 08:54 PM
Obviously, film buffs will equate the Stan Lee cameos to Hitchcock's famous cameos.

Those started when Hitchcock was short bodies for a crowd scene and he put himself and several other crewpersons in the shot. It became his trademark and was something that film goers learned to look for. There were times when he had to be really clever -- such as Lifeboat, when he appeared as a before/after weight loss ad in a floating newspaper.

But Hitchcock told Truffaut that his appearances started to become a distraction, so he starting inserting them earlier and earlier to get them out of the way.

The Lee cameos in most of the Marvel movies are a great tribute to one of the key artists at the creation of Marvel empire. But I like the idea that his most recent appearance in the credits of Guardians 2 set him up as a Watcher, which would explain his frequent cameos. I'll be interested to see if there is any payoff to that scene in Guardians 3 or the Infinity Wars

And if Lee is a watcher that somehow helps defeat thanos......the cameo in vol 2 DOES become really really really important.

elvis14
05-16-2017, 11:11 AM
Thanks for the reviews and discussion. Went with the family and watched this Saturday night (IMAX 3D @ Southpoint). My girls are 13 and 15 and we loved the movie. It was a fun adventure and funny. Drax had my kids laughing out loud (the best sound in the world is my kids laughing in case you were wondering...I might be biased on that front). I agree with the criticisms here but I enjoyed the movie enough to ignore them. I'm actually glad Yandu is gone. I thought his character was a bit annoying and given way too much power with his whistle/arrow trick. Seriously, all those guys with guns and not one of them can get a single shot off as that arrow flies around and kills everyone? Plus the change from super bad guy to sympathetic father figure just didn't work for me. Like others have said, I think they missed the boat with Ego and his far fetched plot. Seems like they could have done so much more with him. Baby Groot was hilarious (as was teenaged Groot) and the character development was a good way to make the movies move along and give the characters depth.

We'll probably go see it again. It's showing at my father in laws theater so we'll probably go see it there (raleighwoodmovies.com) since it's basically free but I'm glad I went to the IMAX for the first viewing.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
07-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Last person to see it...

I enjoyed it. The best thing in the original for me was the playful tone and fantastical action. This capitalized on both quite nicely. I also enjoyed Nebula and Mantis. I liked the extension of friendship themes from the first.

I didn't mind the death of Yandu except that my theater had some children that were pretty upset and confused. Felt very Star Trek II.

Fun movie. Good summer fare.