PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Bubble Watch

burnspbesq
05-05-2017, 09:50 AM
Welp, thanks, Marquette. The Golden Eagles' win over Denver in the Big East semifinals on Thursday night puts Duke in more than theoretical jeopardy. Rutgers probably went from last team in to first team out. Right now, Carolina and Duke look like the last two in, contingent on two things happening; Albany beating Binghamton in the America East final on Saturday, and Duke beating BU. If Bingo beats the Scoobies, then all bets are off. it might actually be Albany that gets left out in that scenario; its RPI, currently 8, would drop, while a Duke win over BU might give it enough of an RPI boost to jump past Carolina into the number eight seed and a hosting slot (most likely against either Hopkins or Towson if the Tigers win the CAA). And Army could get itself back into the conversation with a win over Notre Dame on Saturday.

Just win, fellas.

budwom
05-05-2017, 12:10 PM
I understand what you're saying, paul...the coaches' poll has Duke number six....it would be a travesty to leave us out, but as you say we'd better beat BU...

MCFinARL
05-05-2017, 12:18 PM
I understand what you're saying, paul...the coaches' poll has Duke number six...it would be a travesty to leave us out, but as you say we'd better beat BU...

Yes. Eight at large spots, with one already firmly grabbed by Denver, and 4 ACC teams plus 3-4 Big 10 teams (after the AQ) looking to get in, along with a possible Albany if they don't win their AQ. When things are this tight, you don't want to give the committee any reason to drop you, and losing that BU game could definitely be such a reason.

burnspbesq
05-05-2017, 03:02 PM
How crazy has this season been? We could see Monmouth, Binghamton, and Providence in the tournament.

If you had said that before the season, you would have been carted off for evaluation.

burnspbesq
05-05-2017, 03:14 PM
Interesting that three ACC schools' club teams are in the MCLA tournament field. GaTech is the four seed, while VaTech and FSU are unseeded.

My annual harrumph will follow in due course.

JasonEvans
05-05-2017, 04:17 PM
Interesting that three ACC schools' club teams are in the MCLA tournament field. GaTech is the four seed, while VaTech and FSU are unseeded.

My annual harrumph will follow in due course.

Well, seeing as these schools do not give any scholarship money to Lax, I hardly see how their teams should be expected to compete with the Duke, Syracuse, Virginia, and UNCs of the Lax world.

MCFinARL
05-05-2017, 04:44 PM
Well, seeing as these schools do not give any scholarship money to Lax, I hardly see how their teams should be expected to compete with the Duke, Syracuse, Virginia, and UNCs of the Lax world.

Sure, although Ivy schools manage to put together fairly competitive teams without scholarship money (possibly their mostly very generous regular financial aid policies help). The scholarship allotment for lacrosse is pretty small anyway.

In any case, a club team moving up to NCAA competition in the ACC would face a real murderer's row even with scholarship money--they'd have to be willing to lose a lot for at least a couple of years.

duke2x
05-06-2017, 11:19 AM
Good analysis, burns. I think the margin here is paper thin.

Win--I'll wager 1 M&M that Duke plays Hopkins at a site TBD. Hopkins (8-6) is #7 RPI after losing to OSU again while Duke would be #9 RPI. I believe Duke (then #12 RPI) was seeded ahead of Hop (then about #5 RPI) during the early reveal. Hop has lost 3 games since then. It's not a formal factor, but Duke would be a top 5 team in the polls. (Yes, I think Duke should host over Hop with a win.)

Lose--I would add Hofstra to the bubble because people, TV, and committee members really like small schools. They also beat UNC (8-7) and host the 2nd round games. Duke would be about #13 in the RPI behind BU, UNC, Hofstra, and Rutgers. Again, it's not a formal factor, but Duke probably drops no worse than #8 in the polls with a loss while lower ranked teams in PSU and Hop would host.

BU was pretty even with the top of the Patriot. Duke beat the Patriot champs pretty decisively again earlier this season. I think rust from exams will rear its ugly head and make this game more interesting than we want.

burnspbesq
05-06-2017, 12:20 PM
Albany has a 4-0 lead midway through Q1.

DST Fan
05-06-2017, 01:19 PM
Albany is up 12-4 at the half.

MCFinARL
05-06-2017, 01:35 PM
Albany is up 12-4 at the half.

Now 15-8. It would be really helpful for Albany to win this one.

Elsewhere, cardiac Syracuse doing its think with an 8-7 lead over Colgate in the third period. This is not a game that will affect the tournament one way or another, other than possibly affecting Syracuse's seed if they lose.

budwom
05-06-2017, 02:17 PM
I guess Coach D has to tell his kids that essentially they're in a play-in game tomorrow.

duke2x
05-06-2017, 02:27 PM
Albany won 20-8. That saves 1 spot for a bubble team. They have no really good wins but can compete with the likes of Maryland and Syracuse.

Air Force beat Richmond to make that loss look a little better. It would not hurt to have most of Duke's schedule make the field if we are truly make the LIFO bubble: Loyola, Air Force, Marquette + the ACC.

burnspbesq
05-06-2017, 02:44 PM
Bryant is in with a 5-4 win over Hobart in the NEC final. They will almost certainly be in the play-in game.

Presumably it will come as no surprise to anyone when AF is matched up with Denver in the first round.

burnspbesq
05-06-2017, 03:06 PM
Towson is just about in, sitting on a five-goal lead over UMass late in Q4.

ND is off to a quick 3-0 lead on Army.

Indoor66
05-06-2017, 03:08 PM
Towson is just about in, sitting on a five-goal lead over UMass late in Q4.

ND is off to a quick 3-0 lead on Army.

Now 4-2 at 13:00 in 2nd

burnspbesq
05-06-2017, 03:11 PM
Exams start Monday at BU. i wonder which is worse for a team, just having finished vs. having them looming.

burnspbesq
05-06-2017, 04:43 PM
Army 10, ND 9 in OT.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 09:40 AM
Selection Sunday dawns with seven of the nine AQs claimed by Loyola, Albany, Bryant, Towson, Air Force, Marquette, and Maryland. The Ivy and MAAC championships will be decided today. I like Yale over Brown and Monmouth over Marist.

At-larges? I think if Duke beats BU, it's ND, Cuse, Duke, Carolina, Denver, Ohio State, Penn State, and Hop. I think Rutgers has a legitimate beef, as the Knights Who Say "Yo" have a better overall resume than the Cheaters, but they're going to be rewarded for winning the ACC Tournament.

budwom
05-07-2017, 11:47 AM
Selection Sunday dawns with seven of the nine AQs claimed by Loyola, Albany, Bryant, Towson, Air Force, Marquette, and Maryland. The Ivy and MAAC championships will be decided today. I like Yale over Brown and Monmouth over Marist.

At-larges? I think if Duke beats BU, it's ND, Cuse, Duke, Carolina, Denver, Ohio State, Penn State, and Hop. I think Rutgers has a legitimate beef, as the Knights Who Say "Yo" have a better overall resume than the Cheaters, but they're going to be rewarded for winning the ACC Tournament.

Just goes to show how justified the NCAA could be if they chose to expand the field (I don't know, four more teams, maybe eight)? That group vying for an at large berth is filled with lacrosse royalty, some very potent teams.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 12:13 PM
Monmouth gets the last run in a see-saw game anf holds on to beat Marist, 9-8, in the MAAC final. Great accomplishment for a fourth-year program whose seniors went 0-13 as freshmen.

The play-in game is set. Will it be in Smithfield or West Long Branch?

MCFinARL
05-07-2017, 12:33 PM
Albany won 20-8. That saves 1 spot for a bubble team. They have no really good wins but can compete with the likes of Maryland and Syracuse.

Air Force beat Richmond to make that loss look a little better. It would not hurt to have most of Duke's schedule make the field if we are truly make the LIFO bubble: Loyola, Air Force, Marquette + the ACC.

It makes that loss look a little better, but it also makes Duke's win over Richmond look a little worse.

Army 10, ND 9 in OT.

This may hurt Duke's RPI, as the Notre Dame win was Duke's only top 5 RPI win.

Just goes to show how justified the NCAA could be if they chose to expand the field (I don't know, four more teams, maybe eight)? That group vying for an at large berth is filled with lacrosse royalty, some very potent teams.

Yes, it is. But the problem is that there are only 71 Div. 1 men's lacrosse programs--so with a 17-team field, 24% of all teams make the tournament. By comparison, a little under 20% of Div. 1 teams make it into the basketball tournament field (68 of 351 teams). So the NCAA will probably be loath to invest in a bigger tournament until more teams take up the sport.

duke2x
05-07-2017, 01:35 PM
Re: Richmond. UNC lost to Richmond. It makes their profile a little worse as well.

Duke is up 6-3 in the 1st.

DST Fan
05-07-2017, 01:41 PM
Duke is up 7-3 at the end of the first.

chrishoke
05-07-2017, 01:41 PM
7-3 Devils after 1Q. Dominating the X.

MCFinARL
05-07-2017, 01:45 PM
Now 8-3 early in the 2nd. It appears Duke learned their lesson from the ND game--no slow start today. Now, hopefully, they can continue to play through three more quarters.

MCFinARL
05-07-2017, 02:05 PM
Yale punches their ticket over Brown, with a 10-9 win and a Dylan Molloy shot to force overtime at the end of the game just barely hitting the crossbar.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 02:13 PM
Yale punches their ticket over Brown, with a 10-9 win and a Dylan Molloy shot to force overtime at the end of the game just barely hitting the crossbar.

Amazing that Brown got a point-blank look for Molloy out of a sideline out-of-bounds play with six seconds left. Yale dodged a bullet on that one.

duke2x
05-07-2017, 02:14 PM
It looks like it is 11-3 at half because Gametracker is stuck. That's about the equivalent to a 16-point halftime lead in basketball.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 02:19 PM
11-3 at the half. No faceoff to start Q3. BU is man-up for 16 seconds; Dunne was called for an illegal body check with 44 seconds in Q2.

Duke had 21 possessions in the half, vs. eight for BU.

MCFinARL
05-07-2017, 02:33 PM
Amazing that Brown got a point-blank look for Molloy out of a sideline out-of-bounds play with six seconds left. Yale dodged a bullet on that one.

Yes, agree. They were very lucky.

OZZIE4DUKE
05-07-2017, 02:35 PM
Please keep the timely updates coming! LGD!

duke2x
05-07-2017, 02:36 PM
Gametracker has gone nuts. It shows 12-4 at the half with Duke getting a man-down goal basically at the buzzer. I have to think the 3rd starts soon.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 02:37 PM
Actually it's 12-4 at the half. The penalty on Dunne is three minutes. BU got a man-up goal, but Brian Smyth won the ensuing faceoff amd took it all the way to score.

MCFinARL
05-07-2017, 02:41 PM
What is going on in this game, and/or with the game tracker. According to Duke lax twitter, there was a long delay at 11-3 and then Duke went into half time with that score, but now it is 12-4 (BU got a man-up shot and Duke came right back of the FO), but both of those were apparently in the second quarter?

Now early in the 3rd, twitter says BU got another man up goal for 12-5 Duke.

Was there a weather delay, perhaps, that caused them to take "halftime" before time ran out in the first half?

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 02:44 PM
I hope Dunne got his money's worth on that hit, because BU scored twice. But Quigley restores the lead. It's now Duke first midfield 6, BU 5.

duke2x
05-07-2017, 02:49 PM
It's 14-5 midway through the 3rd.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 02:58 PM
Smyth has taken all the faceoffs for Duke in Q3. He's doing fine, but hopefully the staff is just resting Rowe. Wouldn't want to go into the tournament without him.

MCFinARL
05-07-2017, 02:59 PM
Smyth has taken all the faceoffs for Duke in Q3. He's doing fine, but hopefully the staff is just resting Rowe. Wouldn't want to go into the tournament without him.

No indeed. Hopefully just a good chance for Smyth to get some game experience since Rowe is a senior.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 03:02 PM
Hat trick for Quigley. He now has more goals as a freshman than Myles.

duke2x
05-07-2017, 03:02 PM
It's now 17-6 after Gutdering scores. Sporks for everyone. :)

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 03:08 PM
Duke starting to clear the bench. Uppgren in goal. Fourth midfieldgets a run.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 03:24 PM
And a Jake Seau sighting!

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 03:28 PM
And a faceoff win for Tom Palisi! And a goal for David Gill! And a save for David McGill! Scout team representin'!

18-8 is your final score. Any questions, selection committee?

duke2x
05-07-2017, 03:29 PM
Final 18-8. This game will count toward our RPI and about replace someone like UVA (top 30).

The real question in my mind is which team of Duke, Albany, Hop, and PSU is disappointed tonight with a road game. Duke's RPI will be 9 after this game, but it will be top 5 in the polls tomorrow. Albany and PSU have significantly weaker schedules, and Hop's record (8-6) and resume looks way too much like Duke last year. I just see Duke getting the short stick on this one and playing a non-top 10 Big 10 team on the road next weekend.

We could see UNC @ Duke next weekend due to travel rules, but I don't want that. Duke uses a travel spot if it doesn't play a team from Baltimore south.

MCFinARL
05-07-2017, 03:29 PM
18-8 final, over a top-20 RPI team. That may help when they are looking at how to deploy the last seed for a home game.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 03:31 PM
Selection show is at 9:00 EDT on the U.

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 03:36 PM
Final 18-8. This game will count toward our RPI and about replace someone like UVA (top 30).

The real question in my mind is which team of Duke, Albany, Hop, and PSU is disappointed tonight with a road game. Duke's RPI will be 9 after this game, but it will be top 5 in the polls tomorrow. Albany and PSU have significantly weaker schedules, and Hop's record (8-6) and resume looks way too much like Duke last year. I just see Duke getting the short stick on this one and playing a non-top 10 Big 10 team on the road next weekend.

We could see UNC @ Duke next weekend due to travel rules, but I don't want that. Duke uses a travel spot if it doesn't play a team from Baltimore south.

Theoretically, the committe tries to avoid conference rematches in the first round.

Ima Facultiwyfe
05-07-2017, 03:57 PM
Many thinks for the great updates! My errand list was very long today. Couldn't stop to take it all in. Go Duke!!!!
Love, Ima

burnspbesq
05-07-2017, 09:20 PM
top half of the bracket:

(1) Maryland vs. Monmouth/Bryant
(8) Albany vs. Carolina
(4) ND vs. Marquette
(5) Denver vs. Air Force

JasonEvans
05-07-2017, 09:21 PM
Duke is not one of the top 8 seeds... seems like we got a little bit screwed there, huh?

pic.twitter.com/4jjUgE7mTd

WiJoe
05-07-2017, 09:22 PM
In.
Hopkins.
Saturday.

Go Duke !!!!

Native
05-07-2017, 09:22 PM
Duke fails to secure a top 8 seed. We'll play our old nemesis, the 6th-seeded Johns Hopkins Blue Jays, at 2:30 on Saturday.

Can't say I'm surprised, especially given our history with Hop. If we can stay out of the sin bin and our defense shows up, we can take 'em.

fuse
05-07-2017, 09:23 PM
Duke Hopkins would have been a final four or championship level game in prior years.

Opening round excitement.

BigWayne
05-08-2017, 05:49 PM
Duke fails to secure a top 8 seed. We'll play our old nemesis, the 6th-seeded Johns Hopkins Blue Jays, at 2:30 on Saturday.

Can't say I'm surprised, especially given our history with Hop. If we can stay out of the sin bin and our defense shows up, we can take 'em.

Not 100% sure about the way they do this, but looks like Duke is the "last team in." Opportunity for team motivation to prove the rankings wrong.