PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever had to fly domestically in this US without proper ID?

IrishDevil
05-04-2017, 03:32 PM
Wondering if anyone has any experience with TSA Certification of Identity, which is an alternate route to clear security in an airport, with additional heightened screening, when you lack acceptable photo ID. I am weighing trying this (my wife naturalized so recently that she has had no time to obtain photo ID) vs. driving down to Orlando from DC. Any input would be appreciated - thanks!

Blue in the Face
05-04-2017, 04:37 PM
Airlines these days seem to really be embracing a "customer is always right" ethos, so I'm sure it'll be fine. [Sorry, have no useful information to share, good luck].

OldPhiKap
05-04-2017, 04:44 PM
Wondering if anyone has any experience with TSA Certification of Identity, which is an alternate route to clear security in an airport, with additional heightened screening, when you lack acceptable photo ID. I am weighing trying this (my wife naturalized so recently that she has had no time to obtain photo ID) vs. driving down to Orlando from DC. Any input would be appreciated - thanks!

No experience, but one time I lost my driver's license at the Charlotte airport flying to Vegas after I had already cleared security. I discovered it when I got to Vegas. I called the TSA, worried about my return flight, and they assured me that they had "a procedure" for that.

I did not want to find out what "the procedure" was, so Mrs.OPK fed-ex'd my passport to me.

I would call TSA to find out as much info as you can. And add plenty of time the days of your flights to get through security.

Edit to add: I am a big big fan of Pre-Chek. Not sure if your beloved would be eligible though. ádh mór ort.

mph
05-04-2017, 06:15 PM
I've had this happen twice to people in groups with which I was traveling. It wasn't a big deal either time. The first time it happened before a return trip and she had no proof of identity. They asked her a series of questions (don't remember what they were) in an interview that took 5-10 minutes. The second time the person was able to bring a utility bill and bank cards. Again, they asked her questions for a few minutes and let her through. I would guess that the odds of your wife being being denied boarding are very very low, even if they are slightly higher than if she had ID. Hope that eases your mind. Let us know how it goes.

IrishDevil
05-04-2017, 09:39 PM
Thanks for the all the responses. I called TSA and, despite the utter nonsense of not accepting as valid ID a U.S. Certificate of Naturalization, which bears the citizen's photo, signature, and is issued by the federal government, they have generally said what you did, mph - bring anything else that can be used to establish identity, you will be quizzed, and once they can verify your identity, you may continue on your merry way. Unwelcome source of stress for the IrishDevils, but Little IrishDevil is off to see her Disney heroes for the first time, so all's well that ends in Orlando, by plane, train, or automobile. I will update upon our return.

And OPK: Éirinn go Brách!

flagellaman
05-04-2017, 11:22 PM

When we travel internationally, just in case we lose a passport, not only do we carry a paper copy of our passport (main page with photo and valid dates) in a place different than our wallet/purse, we also keep a PDF copy of it in our email (draft, or email to yourself and stuff into a folder). We also have a scan of our driver's license hidden in our email as well. I suppose dropbox or any cloud file share would work as well.

Never had to produce the paper or PDF copy, but this might work in a pinch....

budwom
05-05-2017, 12:13 PM
Just carry a big stack of the crappiest food you can find, and tell them you work for the airline. No one will doubt you.
Chicken or lasagna.

rasputin
05-05-2017, 02:22 PM
Just carry a big stack of the crappiest food you can find, and tell them you work for the airline. No one will doubt you.
Chicken or lasagna.

No, that's chicken, or fish?

snowdenscold
05-05-2017, 04:06 PM
No, that's chicken, or fish?

The life of everyone on board depends upon just one thing: finding someone back there who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner.

OldPhiKap
05-05-2017, 04:12 PM
And OPK: Éirinn go Brách!

(Dublin -- excuse the angle, that's the way I woke up on the street that morning)

weezie
05-05-2017, 06:42 PM
Hang on OPK, I'm rounding up a rescue party! On my way!

mgwalter
05-06-2017, 11:38 AM
I had my drivers license expire on my birthday during a trip I was taking to celebrate my birthday. TSA was very understanding. I approached the checkpoint at the airport for my return flight in full-on apology mode expecting a full rejection by TSA and was quite surprised at how nice they were about it. They let me through without any trouble.

Not so lucky with the rental car agency who broke the news of the license expiration at the rental counter. They promptly refused to honor my reservation and offered to re-reserve until the expiration date at 8x the daily rate I'd originally booked. I felt sorry for the hourly employee who had to deliver that option to me fully knowing how absurd it was and fully expecting for me to explode, but as this was entirely on me I politely declined and hailed a cab.

WV_Iron_Duke
05-06-2017, 02:50 PM
A couple of years ago I lost my wallet in Reno with my license. However I always take my expired 2008 GSA badge with me. For this large badge I was finger printed twice and it has so much data it takes 10+ minutes to download. At security the agent, after looking at some many tiny drivers license id's, waved me through to the priority line. He said it was the same id as he had.