PDA

View Full Version : FB Offseason: General

Pages : [1] 2

Avvocato
05-02-2017, 01:41 PM
I didn't see a general offseason thread, though feel free to move this if I missed it. Here is a link to an espn.com ACC post about the ACC Coastal division after the spring practices: http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99265/coastal-division-post-spring-stock-report-buy-duke-miami. ESPN puts a "buy" on Duke (as well as with Miami). The best quote (to me) is:

The Blue Devils have an opportunity to be sneaky good this season behind quarterback Daniel Jones, who returns after putting together a redshirt freshman season in which he threw for 2,836 yards and 16 touchdowns.

The post states that they will be shocked if Duke doesn't return to a bowl game. I love the optimism and respect Duke is getting. My expectations are still a little more reserved at the moment. Without a doubt, I expect Duke to be much better this season and I hope we challenge for the division, particularly because of Daniel Jones. I thought he played real well as a frosh, obviously, and I expect him to make a leap this season. However, we once again have a very difficult schedule. In any case, I'm not going to worry about records and bowls right now. I just love reading the optimism surrounding the program. Can't wait until camp starts.

P.S.

Gotta love the "sell" grade on UNC.

budwom
05-02-2017, 02:08 PM
Once again, early season winnable games will be key. Hopefully our improved experience will help us in early games this year.
And Avvocato, good luck on your big day Friday! :)

jv001
05-02-2017, 02:45 PM
I didn't see a general offseason thread, though feel free to move this if I missed it. Here is a link to an espn.com ACC post about the ACC Coastal division after the spring practices: http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99265/coastal-division-post-spring-stock-report-buy-duke-miami. ESPN puts a "buy" on Duke (as well as with Miami). The best quote (to me) is:

The post states that they will be shocked if Duke doesn't return to a bowl game. I love the optimism and respect Duke is getting. My expectations are still a little more reserved at the moment. Without a doubt, I expect Duke to be much better this season and I hope we challenge for the division, particularly because of Daniel Jones. I thought he played real well as a frosh, obviously, and I expect him to make a leap this season. However, we once again have a very difficult schedule. In any case, I'm not going to worry about records and bowls right now. I just love reading the optimism surrounding the program. Can't wait until camp starts.

P.S.

Gotta love the "sell" grade on UNC.

At first glance, I thought you said, "the smell" on Uncheat. :cool: GoDuke!

Olympic Fan
05-02-2017, 02:58 PM
Once again, early season winnable games will be key. Hopefully our improved experience will help us in early games this year.
And Avvocato, good luck on your big day Friday! :)

Actually, our schedule is kind of flipped from recent years -- the schedule starts off with some of the team's toughest games. True, we get a gimmie to open (NCCU). But the next four games in September are Northwestern (which has had our number) Baylor, at North Carolina and Miami (the probable favorite in the Coastal Division).

We get Florida State, Pitt and Virginia Tech in Octover.

This year, the most winnable games are in November -- Army, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest.

I share the optimism for this season -- and not just because of Jones.

My reasons:

(1) This is the strongest redshirt class Cut has ever had. There are several future stars in the class.

(2) Because of last year's unbelievable rash of injuries, last year's team was somewhat undervalued. We missed a bowl because we lost winnable games to Virginia, Wake Forest and Northwestern early, while Daniel Jones was having growing pains. But even with all the injuries, we still beat Notre Dame in South Bend, UNC in Durham and took Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Louisville to the wire.

(3) Also because of injuries, a number of young players were forced to play before they were ready. But that experience will help this year. Just look at our secondary -- it was devastated by graduation, but true freshmen Mark Gilbert and Dylan Singleton got starting experience. Along with Fields, McDuffie and Saxton, we have a solid core to that unit.

(4) Duke is the only team in the Coastal Division with a proven QB on hand. Some of the newcomers around the league will be very good ... but some will flop.

I'm most worried about the kicking game -- two years ago, we might have had the best all-around kicking game in college football. Last year, we stunk (only good return teams kept us from behind the worst kicking tea in FBS). That has to get better. And Jones has to stay healthy. Parker Boehme is a good backup with a lot of experience, but it's not the same thing.

I think the talent level of the roster is rising. There are a lot of promising young players on the DL. The OL looks solid, especially with the addition of the kid from Ohio State. We really have some quality linebackers. This is the deepest receiving corps that Cut has had -- if Bracey is healthy and lives up to the hype, it could be his best. I like our crop of running backs -- Shawn Wilson is the veteran, but watch out for Brittain Brown.

We just need to catch some breaks -- a fairly healthy year would be a good start.

CameronBornAndBred
05-02-2017, 03:07 PM
(1) This is the strongest redshirt class Cut has ever had. There are several future stars in the class.
Yes! As much fun as it has been to watch Coach Cutcliffe bring in some really respectable recruits, this year we actually get to see many of them in action. It has been a long wait, and I am anxious to see those guys have their day on the field.

I'm most worried about the kicking game -- two years ago, we might have had the best all-around kicking game in college football. Last year, we stunk (only good return teams kept us from behind the worst kicking tea in FBS). That has to get better.

Double yes. I don't want to be in close games and watch our coaches bring in the full offense because they have no faith in our kickers.

budwom
05-02-2017, 03:20 PM
I agree there are a lot of late season winnable games too, but I'm looking at Northwestern and turmoil riddled Baylor as opportunities in September....in the past we
just haven't generated much offense vs NW, I'd like to think we have the talent and experience to change that this year....not sure where Baylor stands exactly, but
they've got all new everything, lots of talent departed, coaches departed (honor departed), etc...I also think that unc, while having more overall talent, will be
breaking in a new QB which presents an opportunity, and we beat them last year anyway...

Last year the early Wake and UVA losses really hurt us...

Bob Green
05-02-2017, 03:36 PM
These "way too early" rankings have Duke at #66.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/213426488/college-football-way-too-early-rankings-2017

Our opponents (excluding NCCU who is FCS):

84. Virginia
78. Army
57. Wake Forest
53. Baylor
48. North Carolina
41. Georgia Tech
40. Northwester
28. Virginia Tech
26. Pittsburgh
16. Miami
2. Florida State

While these rankings have to be taken with a huge grain of salt, I do believe they point out the importance of winning September games against Baylor and North Carolina (along with the opener against NCCU of course). We need to go 3-2 in September.

Bob Green
05-02-2017, 04:13 PM
I think the talent level of the roster is rising. There are a lot of promising young players on the DL. The OL looks solid, especially with the addition of the kid from Ohio State. We really have some quality linebackers. This is the deepest receiving corps that Cut has had -- if Bracey is healthy and lives up to the hype, it could be his best. I like our crop of running backs -- Shawn Wilson is the veteran, but watch out for Brittain Brown.

There is a whole lot for me to agree with in the quote above. The offensive line, running backs and receivers have the potential to be special. Shaun Wilson is the player who needs to set the tone with his explosiveness. Wilson compiled 1620 all purpose yards in 2016 and I expect that total to be significantly higher in 2017. Wilson had significantly less receptions and receiving yards as a junior (8/76) than as a sophomore (19/207) and freshman (18/179). The staff will need to get the ball into Wilson's hands more often on pass plays in 2017.

On defense, the linebackers need to be impact players. In addition to returning members of the two deep rotation, Ben Humphreys, Joe Giles-Harris, Tinashe Bere, Koby Quansah and Zavier Carmichael, there are a couple of redshirt freshmen to keep an eye on starting with Brandon Hill.

Daniel Jones showing solid improvement as a sophomore, after an off season spent in the film room and weight room, could be the final piece for the team to make the leap back to being a Coastal Division contender.

While I am the eternal optimist (especially during Spring), the #66 ranking from my previous post is ridiculous. Duke will be much better than #66 in 2017.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-02-2017, 05:05 PM
These "way too early" rankings have Duke at #66.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/213426488/college-football-way-too-early-rankings-2017

Our opponents (excluding NCCU who is FCS):

84. Virginia
78. Army
57. Wake Forest
53. Baylor
48. North Carolina
41. Georgia Tech
40. Northwester
28. Virginia Tech
26. Pittsburgh
16. Miami
2. Florida State

While these rankings have to be taken with a huge grain of salt, I do believe they point out the importance of winning September games against Baylor and North Carolina (along with the opener against NCCU of course). We need to go 3-2 in September.

On the face of those rankings, that would translate into a 2 win season in FBS. I expect much more from our boys.

Avvocato
05-02-2017, 05:30 PM
Actually, our schedule is kind of flipped from recent years -- the schedule starts off with some of the team's toughest games. True, we get a gimmie to open (NCCU). But the next four games in September are Northwestern (which has had our number) Baylor, at North Carolina and Miami (the probable favorite in the Coastal Division).

We get Florida State, Pitt and Virginia Tech in Octover.

This year, the most winnable games are in November -- Army, Georgia Tech and Wake Forest.

I share the optimism for this season -- and not just because of Jones.

My reasons:

(2) Because of last year's unbelievable rash of injuries, last year's team was somewhat undervalued. We missed a bowl because we lost winnable games to Virginia, Wake Forest and Northwestern early, while Daniel Jones was having growing pains. But even with all the injuries, we still beat Notre Dame in South Bend, UNC in Durham and took Georgia Tech, Virginia Tech and Louisville to the wire.

(3) Also because of injuries, a number of young players were forced to play before they were ready. But that experience will help this year. Just look at our secondary -- it was devastated by graduation, but true freshmen Mark Gilbert and Dylan Singleton got starting experience. Along with Fields, McDuffie and Saxton, we have a solid core to that unit.

(4) Duke is the only team in the Coastal Division with a proven QB on hand. Some of the newcomers around the league will be very good ... but some will flop.

I'm most worried about the kicking game -- two years ago, we might have had the best all-around kicking game in college football. Last year, we stunk (only good return teams kept us from behind the worst kicking tea in FBS). That has to get better. And Jones has to stay healthy. Parker Boehme is a good backup with a lot of experience, but it's not the same thing.

We just need to catch some breaks -- a fairly healthy year would be a good start.

Can't really argue with much here. This is dead on, in my opinion. I focused on the QB in my brief post, because I still think that's a key piece, but I think this is a great summary. As for the schedule, I always think the Northwestern game is key. Assuming we take the opener, winning that Northwestern game sets us up. If we can then split Baylor and UNC, we could be on our way. But as you say, Northwestern has just had our number recently.

Avvocato
05-02-2017, 05:39 PM
Wilson had significantly less receptions and receiving yards as a junior (8/76) than as a sophomore (19/207) and freshman (18/179). The staff will need to get the ball into Wilson's hands more often on pass plays in 2017.

I think the reduced receptions is in part because Jones throws the ball more around the field and doesn't always dump it off to the backs. However, I agree they need to make a point of emphasis of getting him the ball more in space, including as a receiver more. He's one of our few homerun players the past couple of years (hopefully one of the receivers will join that party).

On defense, the linebackers need to be impact players. In addition to returning members of the two deep rotation, Ben Humphreys, Joe Giles-Harris, Tinashe Bere, Koby Quansah and Zavier Carmichael, there are a couple of redshirt freshmen to keep an eye on starting with Brandon Hill.

I love our linebacker depth. Any word on Bere's health after last season's injury?

Bob Green
05-02-2017, 05:56 PM
Coach Cutcliffe reviews the defense in the video clip below and states, "I want to set the sights high upfront on the defense."

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211564693

Yeah, there is always a lot of coach speak in these interviews but when Coach Cutcliffe talks about "players who can run creating schematic flexibility" it is exciting to hear.

jimsumner
05-02-2017, 06:46 PM
On the face of those rankings, that would translate into a 2 win season in FBS. I expect much more from our boys.

I'll take the over on three wins.

fidel
05-02-2017, 07:09 PM
Good timing for this topic. I have been in the doldrums on bball topics. So, this brings memories of the Notre Dame game, seeing a more than sizable Duke contingent on hand, and our boys chase the diners down and send them home less happy than they started. It was a big coming-out for Jones in a big arena (with help from some great special teams and solid D).

Time to start planning on Northwestern road trip I think. Maybe Pitt.

OldPhiKap
05-02-2017, 07:19 PM
Good timing for this topic. I have been in the doldrums on bball topics. So, this brings memories of the Notre Dame game, seeing a more than sizable Duke contingent on hand, and our boys chase the diners down and send them home less happy than they started. It was a big coming-out for Jones in a big arena (with help from some great special teams and solid D).

Reilly
05-02-2017, 08:03 PM
... creating schematic flexibility ...

Football: "gap integrity" ... "schematic flexibility" ...

Basketball: the bounce .. ups ... hops ... handle ...

Baseball: scuffling ... Texas leaguer .. can of corn ...

It seems to me FB-speak is often about faux sophistication, hoops-speak is about sounding cool, and baseball-speak is about being folksy.

Olympic Fan
05-02-2017, 08:41 PM

No road trips ...

Duke plays both Northwestern and Pitt in Durham ...

The five road games are at UNC, at Virginia, at Virginia Tech, at Army and at Wake Forest ...

weezie
05-02-2017, 08:44 PM
...It seems to me FB-speak is often about faux sophistication...

But never forget the great Keith Jackson, "He's a hoss!" marvel. Back when football was FOOTBALL!!! :cool:

Reilly
05-02-2017, 10:53 PM
But never forget the great Keith Jackson, "He's a hoss!" marvel. Back when football was FOOTBALL!!! :cool:

And the players never had a concussed brain, just felt a lil' woozy.

I'm sure there are counter-examples for all the sports, as the seam-heads/stat-heads can faux sophisti-cize baseball, Keith Jackson and John Madden can folks-ify football, and basketball ... well, I dunno ... hoops-speak seems more about being cool/tough/current throughout.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-03-2017, 03:09 AM
No road trips ...

The five road games are at UNC, at Virginia, at Virginia Tech, at Army and at Wake Forest ...

That's not exactly murderer's row on the road, and no epic road trips. Lays out nicely.

fidel
05-03-2017, 07:33 AM
No road trips ...

Guess I shoulda looked at the home/away. I forgot we played both away last year.

Maybe Army? Virginia? Time to make a plan.

OldPhiKap
05-03-2017, 07:38 AM
Planning to be in Durham for the FSU game. A collision of undefeated teams. Should be epic.

(Don't step on my buzz)

devildeac
05-03-2017, 09:00 AM
Planning to be in Durham for the FSU game. A collision of undefeated teams. Should be epic.

(Don't step on my buzz)

Tent 7. You know my name. Look up the number.

Send lawyers, ales and porters. Or something Warren sang. ;)

Merlindevildog91
05-03-2017, 09:12 AM
Tent 7. You know my name. Look up the number.

Send lawyers, ales and porters. Or something Warren sang. ;)

Lawyers (or at least one lawyer and probably more) will already be there! But ales and porters sound terrific.

Clocktower
05-03-2017, 11:10 AM
I highly recommend a game at West Point, as a bucket list item. Was there for the beatdown we put on them in 2015 on a gorgeous fall day in the Hudson River valley. Pro tip: avoid the Ramada Inn up the road in Newburgh NY.

BTW I'm now a first time season ticket holder and will try to connect with some of you regulars this fall.

Richard Berg
05-03-2017, 11:18 AM
I highly recommend a game at West Point, as a bucket list item. Was there for the beatdown we put on them in 2015 on a gorgeous fall day in the Hudson River valley. Pro tip: avoid the Ramada Inn up the road in Newburgh NY.

BTW I'm now a first time season ticket holder and will try to connect with some of you regulars this fall.
Is the campus reachable by rail?

Avvocato
05-03-2017, 11:42 AM

You can take a train to Peekskill but then need to take a taxi, which is about 20 minutes away (on game day could be longer with traffic). The NYC alumni set up buses to take people to and from Manhattan in 2015.

FadedTackyShirt
05-03-2017, 12:03 PM
Has anyone here ever taken a ferry from NYC/NJ up the Hudson on game day?

budwom
05-03-2017, 01:40 PM

It's a great experience, but you could almost say it's hardly reachable by car. Takes longer to get to than you might think...allow gobs of time
because the parking situation (last time I went anyway) was weird...shuttle buses from the remote parking spot could not keep up with
demand, so we found it easy to walk, but it's quite a long distance, took a long time. Plan accordingly.

p.s. I don't believe it's on any major rail line...

Bob Green
05-03-2017, 04:28 PM
Maybe Army? Virginia? Time to make a plan.

I attended the last two games in Charlottesville (2013 & 2015) and am tentatively planning to make the trip in 2017. Scott Stadium is a nice place.

Avvocato
05-03-2017, 07:23 PM
Just to keep some football discussion going, attached is a link to another ESPN.com ACC blog post with post spring ACC power rankings. The rankings have Duke 8th (4th best of the Coastal teams). Although some will argue about it, I think it's still a positive write up. As an FYI, they list Ga Tech, Pitt and Duke sixth through eighth.

While the rest of the Coastal is trying to figure out its QB situation, Duke might make the case for having the league’s best. Daniel Jones made huge strides last season, and he should pair well with a solid receiving corps. The front seven looks strong, too, but the secondary and ground game remain worrisome enough that we’re not ready to predict a division title for the Blue Devils.

http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_/id/99254/acc-post-spring-power-rankings-florida-state-looks-strong

Bob Green
05-03-2017, 07:46 PM
...the secondary and ground game remain worrisome enough that we’re not ready to predict a division title for the Blue Devils.

I'm optimistic on the ground game. The addition of graduate transfer Evan Lisle (6'7" 310) at right tackle should complement the three returning starters on the offensive line resulting in a unit capable of winning the battle in the trenches and opening up some running room. Moreover, there are talented redshirt freshmen offensive linemen who will compete to play. As has been stated earlier in the thread, there is an abundance of talented younger players on the roster.

Shaun Wilson is an experienced and explosive first option at running back with redshirt freshmen Brittain Brown and Elijah Deveaux in line to compete for carries.

Better blocking from the tight end position would be nice along with executing the read option and run-pass option plays to take advantage of whether the defense is giving up a numbers advantage "in the box" or "on the edge" to gain an advantage. Daniel Jones will need to make the right reads and I am confident he is spending a lot of time studying those reads in the off season.

chrishoke
05-03-2017, 08:43 PM
I attended the last two games in Charlottesville (2013 & 2015) and am tentatively planning to make the trip in 2017. Scott Stadium is a nice place.

Agreed. My son and I were there in 2015 and we plan to take the wives this year. We really enjoyed the back roads journey from Raleigh and Charlottesville was fun.

arnie
05-03-2017, 08:56 PM
Has anyone here ever taken a ferry from NYC/NJ up the Hudson on game day?

Yes, lots of Duke fans on the ferry and great scenery on the way up. I'd do it again.

devildeac
05-03-2017, 09:42 PM
Yes, lots of Duke fans on the ferry and great scenery on the way up. I'd do it again.

Would that make it a FerryFor50? :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o

OldPhiKap
05-03-2017, 09:59 PM
Would that make it a FerryFor50? :rolleyes:

Sorry, couldn't resist. :o

No. A Dandy Ferry.

Jim3k
05-04-2017, 01:25 AM

From a left coaster: I assume those are game day charter ferries. So how do you sign up for one?

arnie
05-04-2017, 06:53 AM
From a left coaster: I assume those are game day charter ferries. So how do you sign up for one?

Yes, same day chartered ferry. We purchased online. Recall googling the subject and picking out the right game day. It was easy to do and recall purchasing about a month ahead. Ferry leaves from Wall Street area.

Devils Librarian
05-04-2017, 08:55 AM

That's awesome! My wife and I loved having season tickets. We decided not to renew this year because we now have an infant. We've talked a lot about how we want to become season ticket holders again when our daughter gets old enough to appreciate the atmosphere and routine of game day. I don't know if any of you read Ben Swain's stuff but he has written in the past about how much Duke Football means to him because he grew up attending games with his dad. If my daughter is like her mother and loves sports then it is something I would like to do with her as well.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-04-2017, 09:12 AM
Yes, same day chartered ferry. We purchased online. Recall googling the subject and picking out the right game day. It was easy to do and recall purchasing about a month ahead. Ferry leaves from Wall Street area.

I've heard good things about the ferry. Though one advantage of driving (and I agree with the poster above who said that parking is not ideal) is that you can get there really early. I have been there before for games and beforehand they have military marching and ceremonies which are very cool to watch. However, they require getting there a few hours before the game, which starts at noon. Which ends up helping with parking...

The stadium at Army is beautiful - on a hill overlooking the river. Trees will likely be past peak by then but still a great atmosphere. And the game is on Veteran's Day, which should be extra special at West Point.

devildeac
05-04-2017, 09:23 AM
No. A Dandy Ferry.

I dunno. FerryFor50 is pretty dandy, too, or so I've heard. From friends.

FadedTackyShirt
05-04-2017, 09:34 AM
Thanks all for feedback on the ferry. Have been to games at Navy and Air Force and the pre-game pageantry was very cool.

Other thing I've heard about Army football is that the Thayer Hotel is the place to stay, but reservations are difficult.

Some kind of ferry mix/match that would allow plenty of time for pre-game exploration would seem to be ideal.

OldPhiKap
05-04-2017, 09:54 AM
I dunno. FerryFor50 is pretty dandy, too, or so I've heard. From friends.

Is (s)he dapper? Nae, downright debonair?

rasputin
05-04-2017, 10:46 AM
Thanks all for feedback on the ferry. Have been to games at Navy and Air Force and the pre-game pageantry was very cool.

Other thing I've heard about Army football is that the Thayer Hotel is the place to stay, but reservations are difficult.

Some kind of ferry mix/match that would allow plenty of time for pre-game exploration would seem to be ideal.

Will Gerry and the Pacemakers be there?

devildeac
05-04-2017, 10:54 AM

Now you're talking! :rolleyes:

Indoor66
05-04-2017, 11:05 AM

Always beating that drum.... :mad::p:cool:

devildeac
05-04-2017, 11:07 AM
Always beating that drum... :mad::p:cool:

Pacemakers? Beating? Well done. :p

FadedTackyShirt
05-04-2017, 11:09 AM

You'll never walk alone.

This thread is solid, but could still use more Zevon (Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner or Excitable Boy) and cowbell...

OldPhiKap
05-04-2017, 11:16 AM

Figured you for a Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers guy.

You'll never walk alone.

Didn't know this thread would turn into a discussion of Liverpool F.C.

This thread is solid, but could still use more Zevon (Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner or Excitable Boy) and cowbell...

Everything goes better with Zevon. Enjoy every sandwich. (And don't fear the reaper, per the boys from Oyster Bay).

Bob Green
05-04-2017, 05:32 PM
Back to actually discussing the football team, here is a video clip with Coach Cutcliffe on special teams:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211583596&DB_OEM_ID=4200

There is a long list of players competing to return punts: Shaun Wilson, T.J. Rahming, Scott Bracey, Keyston Fuller and more.

Coach Cutcliffe calls Alonzo Saxton an impact player on the coverage teams...the best Duke has ever had...best in the nation. Those are strong words.

Shaun Wilson has electrifying speed returning kicks.

DU82
05-04-2017, 06:04 PM
I've heard good things about the ferry. Though one advantage of driving (and I agree with the poster above who said that parking is not ideal) is that you can get there really early. I have been there before for games and beforehand they have military marching and ceremonies which are very cool to watch. However, they require getting there a few hours before the game, which starts at noon. Which ends up helping with parking...

The stadium at Army is beautiful - on a hill overlooking the river. Trees will likely be past peak by then but still a great atmosphere. And the game is on Veteran's Day, which should be extra special at West Point.

Two seasons ago, I arrived in West Point right about 9AM. I finally parked about 10:30, and I had a pre-paid parking pass. Parked in what I believe was the next-to-last "space" next to the Hudson. Barely made it to the ID pre-game brunch before making to the game.

OldPhiKap
05-04-2017, 06:39 PM
Please, may the punting and place kicking be strong and reliable this year!

devildeac
05-04-2017, 07:03 PM
Back to actually discussing the football team, here is a video clip with Coach Cutcliffe on special teams:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211583596&DB_OEM_ID=4200

There is a long list of players competing to return punts: Shaun Wilson, T.J. Rahming, Scott Bracey, Keyston Fuller and more.

Coach Cutcliffe calls Alonzo Saxton an impact player on the coverage teams...the best Duke has ever had...best in the nation. Those are strong words.

Shaun Wilson has electrifying speed returning kicks.

Crowder-like? Edwards-like?

Oh please, oh please.

OldPhiKap
05-04-2017, 07:11 PM
Crowder-like? Edwards-like?

Oh please, oh please.

Well, from a game we attended:

https://youtu.be/MXYWrxCDF7o

(And right to the corner where I was sitting!)

TruBlu
05-04-2017, 07:36 PM
It is so great to be able to look forward to football season.

Not long ago, Duke Football was the leading cause of Tourette's Syndrome in America.

Devil549
05-07-2017, 11:53 AM
Looking forward to 2017 it is time that Duke has a season with just a fewer injuries, last year was tough losing 3 of 4 captains plus others.

Kicking game (FG especially), along with DEs and DBs will be the key IMO. I feel offense will be improved over last year and look for some younger guys to step up on offense.

GO DUKE!!!!!!!

Bob Green
05-07-2017, 12:30 PM
I feel offense will be improved over last year and look for some younger guys to step up on offense.

Thanks for joining the conversation! I'm interested in hearing your thoughts on which younger offensive players will step up.

Devil549
05-07-2017, 10:50 PM
Offensive guys who IMO could step up and contribute this year:
OG Santos
RBs Brown and Deveaux
TE Birmingham
WR Bracey and Fuller

Bracey and Santos may start but the others could play and move up into 2 deep.

budwom
05-08-2017, 08:27 AM
Two seasons ago, I arrived in West Point right about 9AM. I finally parked about 10:30, and I had a pre-paid parking pass. Parked in what I believe was the next-to-last "space" next to the Hudson. Barely made it to the ID pre-game brunch before making to the game.

as I said earlier in the thread, get to West Point really, really early. Last time we went we had gobs of time, but the remote shuttles were inadequate to move the crowd (Army logistics???) so we walked
and had plenty of time. But fans were still streaming into Michie Stadium in good numbers early in the second quarter..

Bob Green
05-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Offensive guys who IMO could step up and contribute this year:
OG Santos
RBs Brown and Deveaux
TE Birmingham
WR Bracey and Fuller

The running back position is prime target for one of the young players to step up and make an impact. My money is on Brittain Brown. Senior Shaun Wilson is going to be the featured back but everyone who has paid attention to Duke football in recent years knows Coach Cutcliffe likes to use multiple backs.

At receiver, the guy I'm high on is Aaron Young who has great size at 6'2" 205 and is coming of a respectable redshirt freshman season. He caught 11 passes for 124 yards and two touchdowns. I distinctly remember Coach Cutcliffe commenting on his great hands, during post game comments.

I'm intrigued by Damond Johnson's speed. We have no idea if he has the receiver skills, hands and route running discipline, to play as a true freshman but I do know the receiving corps needs a legitimate deep threat. Johnson has the speed to fill that role so we will all have to wait and see if he can earn immediate playing time.

Birmingham has two talented TEs in front of him, Helm and Koppenhaver, but it would be nice to have a TE who is a punishing blocker, a road grader, in the rotation.

It has been stated previously, by Olympic Fan and others, the 2017 roster is the deepest group of receivers Coach Cutcliffe has had at Duke. It remains to be seen whether or not they are the best group of receivers.

Avvocato
05-11-2017, 03:43 PM
Notre Dame today announced their slate of ACC opponents from 2026 through 2037. They had previously announced their ACC opponents through 2025. You can see their release here: http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051117aaa.html.

Duke plays ND:

at Duke: 2027
at ND: 2030
at Duke: 2033
at ND: 2035

Olympic Fan
05-11-2017, 04:10 PM
Notre Dame today announced their slate of ACC opponents from 2026 through 2037. They had previously announced their ACC opponents through 2025. You can see their release here: http://www.und.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051117aaa.html.

Duke plays ND:

at Duke: 2027
at ND: 2030
at Duke: 2033
at ND: 2035

Those four games are in addition to the previously scheduled:

at Duke 2019
at Notre Dame 2020
at Duke 2023

So seven meetings with Notre Dame in the next 18 years -- four in Durham.

75Crazie
05-11-2017, 04:44 PM
So it is going to be another 20 years, minimum, before Notre Dame becomes a real member of the conference.

-jk
05-11-2017, 05:29 PM
So it is going to be another 20 years, minimum, before Notre Dame becomes a real member of the conference.

Nah; if they join, the ACC'll revisit the schedule...

-jk

arnie
05-11-2017, 05:53 PM
Nah; if they join, the ACC'll revisit the schedule...

-jk

So we play Notre Dame much more frequently than we play the Wolfpack. Gotta love the new ACC😡

WakeDevil
05-11-2017, 05:56 PM
So we play Notre Dame much more frequently than we play the Wolfpack. Gotta love the new ACC😡

The "new" ACC was willing to throw the UNC-NCSU rivalry into the river. What makes you think they care about Duke and the Wolfpack?

I am still waiting for the deluge of viewers from New England.

-bdbd
05-11-2017, 06:06 PM
The "new" ACC was willing to throw the UNC-NCSU rivalry into the river. What makes you think they care about Duke and the Wolfpack?

I am still waiting for the deluge of viewers from New England.

What about the "deluge" from the Midwest with L'ville and ND part of the ACC now??
FWIW, the Big Ten hasn't seen much bump from Rutgers and MD either...

'just wish they'd get on with it and formally join the ACC in FB full-time.

WakeDevil
05-11-2017, 11:13 PM
Louisville is a top tier basketball market. BC, as all of us know, is not. That may be the dumbest move the league ever made.

English
05-12-2017, 10:32 AM
What about the "deluge" from the Midwest with L'ville and ND part of the ACC now??
FWIW, the Big Ten hasn't seen much bump from Rutgers and MD either...

'just wish they'd get on with it and formally join the ACC in FB full-time.

You don't think the ACC has gained a boatload of midwest (and national) viewers for the ND football games? Um, wut?

Perhaps I'm missing the sarcasm in your post, and if so, I apologize (although, to be fair, there is no emoji attached). Even UofL playing as well as they have recently, and with Lamar Jackson playing the role of heisman candidate, I'm confident the ACC grabbed some casual viewers from their inclusion in the conference. It certainly did for UofL hoops.

Totally co-sign on your last statement.

Avvocato
06-06-2017, 03:49 PM
I thought I would move this back to the general offseason thread. Here's a pretty good preseason look at the 2017 football team from College Football News. There are a few links, one a general comment on the team (that incorrectly states that Duke will avoid FSU this season ... and that UNC is now good and/or getting better), a look at the offense and defense, and a look at the schedule in general. The moral of their story is that it's a tough time for Duke to be rebuilding while the ACC is now brutal. Their best case scenario is for Duke to finish 9-3 after getting off to a hot start, and the worse case is another 4-8 season. Not to anyone's surprise, the thought is that the offense will need to score more points, since there are question marks about the defense (though singing the praises of our linebackers). In any case, during this slow news time, I think it's worth the look.

http://collegefootballnews.com/2017/preview-2017-duke-picking-a-bad-time-to-struggle

Bob Green
06-06-2017, 04:21 PM
In any case, during this slow news time, I think it's worth the look.

I agree!

Special teams need improvement. Obviously at kicker where we were bad in 2016 but an upgrade at punt return duties is also needed. Ryan Smith wasn't bad, he just wasn't dynamic. Pedestrian is an apt descriptor.

On offense it all starts with the linemen. Three starters return plus graduate transfer Evan Lisle at right tackle so the foundation is there. Younger players need to step up at the skill positions and complement the returning starters. Brittain Brown at running back, sharing the load with Shaun Wilson, and Scott Bracey at wide receiver complementing returning starters T.J. Rahming and Johnathan Lloyd, are two redshirt freshmen everyone will have they eyes on come September. The receiving corps is deep but lacking a true standout receiver. Who will fill the role? Who is going to be the receiver who makes the opponent's defensive coordinator lose sleep?

Obviously, Daniel Jones needs to be better than 2016 and all expectations are that he will be starting with consistency. He finished great after a slow start and one atrocious performance against Virginia. He needs to be great week in and week out.

Defense starts with the two returning starting linebackers who lead the team in tackles in 2016. Joe Giles-Harris with 107 and Ben Humphreys with 106. The defensive line needs to occupy blockers to free those guys up to pursue and conquer. Generating a consistent pass rush is always a concern. The secondary will see new faces in the starting line-up due to graduation. This is another place where youngsters are going to have to shine.

I'm looking forward to it!

OldPhiKap
06-12-2017, 07:02 AM
Bob Green's article on the front page about our receiving crew is very well-done. Highly recommend.

Less than three months to go!

Devil549
06-14-2017, 04:04 PM
Great article Mr. Green looking forward to Duke football in 2017.

Hopefully Coach Cut is building some depth as most of our starters could be starters at other ACC schools but what separates the good teams from average teams is depth.

Kicking game (all aspects) MUST improve it cost us at least 2 possible wins last year that would have put us back in a Bowl Game IMO. Key game IMO is NW we dominated them in the 1980s and early 90s now they are beating us regularly.... time to change that trend!!!!

GO DUKE!!!!!

peloton
06-17-2017, 08:16 PM
Key game IMO is NW we dominated them in the 1980s and early 90s now they are beating us regularly... time to change that trend!!!!

Agreed! I have a lot of respect for both the university and their football program, but it's time to start winning some of these again against Northwestern. It goes without saying that Duke football fans' expectations are much higher now with Coach Cutcliffe at the helm and the Duke administration now supporting Duke football...it's their fault! :rolleyes:

But seriously, NU is a crucial game in that I'd sure like to see us carry momentum from a win going into the Baylor game. I'd love nothing more than to see us be 3-0 going into the Chapel Hill game...and building on that momentum of course with a win against the university that can't play by the rules.

I personally can't wait until football season. "But Peloton, you say that every year." Yes, it's true and I'm proud to admit it, by God. I'm looking forward to watching Daniel Jones, the running game, the defense, and (most definitely) special teams, improve - it's going to be fun. I'm hoping (and thinking) that we'll take care of business the first few games and carry some real confidence into the latter part of the schedule.

P.S. - I'm also looking forward to seeing venerable Wallace Wade and the latest improvements. Has anyone seen it recently...if so, care to comment?

budwom
06-18-2017, 11:16 AM
^ I've been a huge football fan for years, glad to see the team and facilities continuing to improve...the new concourse should really look nice this year.
And compared with hoops, I especially enjoy seeing a lot of kids progress over four years....

arnie
06-18-2017, 11:56 AM
^ I've been a huge football fan for years, glad to see the team and facilities continuing to improve...the new concourse should really look nice this year.
And compared with hoops, I especially enjoy seeing a lot of kids progress over four years...

I've started feeling that way also. Think this will be another breakout season for football at Duke. Thinking at least one huge upset for us.

luvdahops
06-18-2017, 05:34 PM
I've started feeling that way also. Think this will be another breakout season for football at Duke. Thinking at least one huge upset for us.

I am hearing from those close to the program that Cut and staff are very upbeat for the coming season, and believe that this is their best team yet in terms of overall talent, depth and experience. Given the tough schedule, that may not translate into the best record in the Cut era, but it nonetheless leaves me very encouraged.

OldPhiKap
06-18-2017, 05:42 PM
I am hearing from those close to the program that Cut and staff are very upbeat for the coming season, and believe that this is their best team yet in terms of overall talent, depth and experience. Given the tough schedule, that may not translate into the best record in the Cut era, but it nonetheless leaves me very encouraged.

Please, no major injuries . . . .

peloton
06-18-2017, 07:53 PM
Please, no major injuries . . . .

Agreed! Also, let's hope everyone will continue to meet the standards of being a member of the Duke football program, as we've had some pretty talented guys dismissed over the last few years.

Bob Green
06-25-2017, 01:03 PM
The roster has been updated with the incoming freshmen at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22667

peloton
06-25-2017, 07:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up, Bob!

devildeac
06-25-2017, 08:35 PM

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1843&SPSID=22667

Thanks, Bob.

It'll be interesting to get some insight from Messrs. Sumner and OF about which true freshman we might see with a significant # of snaps this year and which R-Fr will hit the field regularly, too.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-26-2017, 06:40 AM
A frosh DT wearing #1? Must be some kind of good! Sure hope so! LGD GTHc!

OldPhiKap
06-26-2017, 07:08 AM
Bob Green has another good piece on the front page today about our linebackers. Excellent again, Bob.

English
06-26-2017, 12:14 PM
A frosh DT wearing #1? Must be some kind of good! Sure hope so! LGD GTHc!

Jay Williams wants to remind everyone that the last Duke player to wear No. 1 was Kyrie, so this DT must be trying to tell him something...

/WackyFaceEmoji

DU82
06-26-2017, 12:49 PM
Jay Williams wants to remind everyone that the last Duke player to wear No. 1 was Kyrie, so this DT must be trying to tell him something...

/WackyFaceEmoji

Harry Giles says hi.

English
06-26-2017, 01:34 PM
Harry Giles says hi.

Right, the reason for the emoji is that, when JayWill actually tweeted this to incoming freshman PG Trevon Duval, it wasn't accurate then, either--he neglected Jabari & Giles.

Bob Green
06-26-2017, 03:19 PM
Excellent again, Bob.

Thank you!

arnie
06-26-2017, 03:45 PM
Right, the reason for the emoji is that, when JayWill actually tweeted this to incoming freshman PG Trevon Duval, it wasn't accurate then, either--he neglected Jabari & Giles.

What is it with previous Duke bball players named Jay? Too much to do and too little time to research properly? Maybe Jay Buckley knows better.

Bob Green
06-26-2017, 03:59 PM
It'll be interesting to get some insight from Messrs. Sumner and OF about which true freshman we might see with a significant # of snaps this year and which R-Fr will hit the field regularly, too.

I too would welcome insight from the knowledgeable Jim Sumner and OF. Budwom is another poster whose opinion I value. While we are waiting, I'll offer my two cents although it is probably only worth a penny. Last season six of the eight true freshmen who saw action were defensive players. I expect the trend will continue in 2017. There are some big recruits at DE and DT who could see action and make an impact.

On the offensive side, I'm high on running back Deon Jackson. There are no data points I can provide to support my like of Jackson. My opinion is based on watching his high school highlights and the fact Notre Dame tried to flip him to South Bend in February.

For the 14 redshirt freshmen on the roster, I'll eat my hat if running back Brittain Brown and wide receiver Scott Bracey do not see lots of action...full disclosure, I predicted both would play last season as true freshmen and they did not.

TE Mark Birmingham and OT Robert Kraeling are two more redshirt freshmen I expect to see play.

devildeac
06-26-2017, 04:34 PM
I too would welcome insight from the knowledgeable Jim Sumner and OF. Budwom is another poster whose opinion I value. While we are waiting, I'll offer my two cents although it is probably only worth a penny. Last season six of the eight true freshmen who saw action were defensive players. I expect the trend will continue in 2017. There are some big recruits at DE and DT who could see action and make an impact.

On the offensive side, I'm high on running back Deon Jackson. There are no data points I can provide to support my like of Jackson. My opinion is based on watching his high school highlights and the fact Notre Dame tried to flip him to South Bend in February.

For the 14 redshirt freshmen on the roster, I'll eat my hat if running back Brittain Brown and wide receiver Scott Bracey do not see lots of action...full disclosure, I predicted both would play last season as true freshmen and they did not.

TE Mark Birmingham and OT Robert Kraeling are two more redshirt freshmen I expect to see play.

Good thoughts, Bob. I'll have the second penny waiting for you at the first tailgate ;).

rtnorthrup
06-27-2017, 09:15 AM

Bob, as always your articles are spot on. I am hoping that the number of true FR who play this season is not as high as last season, but when you improve your recruiting each year, its hard to keep talented younger players off the field. Drew Jordan will play, and if he is as good as advertised, I think he may have a very good shot at starting at one of the DE positions. I could see 1-2 more of the true FR D-lineman (Tangelo, Nyembwe & Dimukeje?) getting early playing time. I could also see one of the Safeties (Lummie Young or Damani Neal) getting some playing time, but I hope not. I think Marquis Waters could end up being the steal of this class. I think he could be as good as Mark Gilbert at CB and I think he could compete very early in his career. The good news is that if we are playing a true FR, it is because they have earned the job.

I too am very high on Deon Jackson, based off of the film I saw and articles I read about him. It will be interesting to see where the Coaches put him. I think he could be an impact RB right away. We are pretty solid at most of the offensive positions, especially with R-FR as you mention.

rtnorthrup
06-27-2017, 09:23 AM
Bob,

One thing I did notice in your Position Guide-RBs, I don't think you mentioned Nico Pierre, the former QB recruit. He has really bulked up, and from watching the spring showcase, it looked like he was ahead of Deveaux at the RB position. He has a much different build than the other RBs, but I think he may be in the mix, unless he is passed by one of the true FR (Jackson as you mentioned). Coach Cut and Coach Boyette talked about putting a premium on blocking from the RB position this spring. Last year only Jela was an above average blocker in the backfield. In our offense being able to block or pick up a blitzer is key to the RB position. I think the kids who can do this the best, will get the best shot at carrying the football as well.

Devil549
06-27-2017, 11:57 AM
IMO the best case for when True Freshmen should play:
1- QB NEVER EVER
2- OL NEVER EVER don't think we have played one since coach Cut arrived IIRC
3- RB as back up and if they have great speed in space
4- WR/TE right away if they know the routes and can be in 2 deep
5- DL if in 2 deep and about 150 snaps in 12 games this includes DT & DE
6- LB if in 2 deep and about 200 snaps in 12 games
7- CB don't start but in 2 deep and in nickel package
8- S same as CB
9- K/P need red shirt year IMO Martin was exception not rule

Again just my 2 cents and I think Coach Cut is building good depth and we are close to 2 deep ACC caliber players.

Olympic Fan
06-27-2017, 01:35 PM
2- OL NEVER EVER don't think we have played one since coach Cut arrived IIRC

While I agree with your point overall -- that freshmen OL should never play -- it's not true that Cut has never played one. He played Julian Santos nine games (101 snaps) last season. Before that, you have to go back to Bryan Morgan in 2007 to find a true freshmen playing in the OL.

It is interesting that a number of true freshmen OL have played at excelled in the ACC in recent years -- Clemson, FSU and Georgia Tech have all had success with true freshmen starters up front.

But I think that's the difference between five-star and four-star (or three-star) recruits. We see it in basketball, where we expect Duke's five-star recruits to be immediate impact players. But Duke doesn't get five-star recruits in football (not since Vince Oghabaase). You can find a lot of three star and four star gems, but it takes time to let them grow.

Guessing which true freshmen will play depends on two issues -- team need and player ability.

I can't think of any area where Duke NEEDS immediate impact, except in the kicking department. There are three recruited walk-ons in camp to challenge Reed (and Austin Parker, who kicked last spring). If one of them wins the job in preseason, that guy will go on scholarship very quickly.

The other area that needs an upgrade is the pass rush. A year ago, we were desperate at DL and played five true freshmen DEs. It's a promising bunch, but none had had a huge impact as a pass rusher. I think that's why Drew Jordan is almost certainly (barring injury) the most likely freshman to make an impact.

I too like Deon Jackson -- and running back is a position where freshman often make a big impact. But Duke does have Shaun Wilson, backed up by two very promising redshirt freshmen (Brown and Deveaux. Cut usually likes to go three-deep at TB and it takes 4-5 players to maintain three-deep throughout the season. So I think there is room for Jackson.

This freshman class has a lot of quality at the receiver positions. But Cut has said this is the deepest WR group he's ever had -- and he's adding Bracey to Rahming, Lloyd. Chambers, Fuller, Young and Taylor. But freshman Damond Johnson is faster than any of them. Does that earn him playing time? At TE, Cut has two solid veterans (Helm and Koppenhaver), plus a very promising redshirt in Birmingham. Is three enough? If not then Marwede (the second rated prospect in this class) or Gray, a guy they like a lot, will get a chance. At least one will redshirt, maybe both.

I can't see a true freshmen OL playing.

To go to defense -- Jordan is the one likely contributor up front. Maybe one of the three DTs (Dimukje is the best), but certainly nobody at LB, where Duke has two starters, five veterans and two very highly rated redshirt freshmen.

The secondary is a different story. Duke has three vets at CB (that counts Mark Gilbert, who played as a true freshman last year; and junior Zach Muniz, who redshirted last year) and one redshirt freshman. If Waters is as good as the staff thinks, he could crack that rotation. At safety, Duke has five veterans and three nice redshirts. Maybe Josh Blackwell could play, but there is a lot of talent ahead of him.

Understand that freshmen DBs and LBs sometimes get on the field early as coverage guys on kick returns. No way to guess who slips through that crack.

I guess if I had to rate the most likely to play in order:

1. Drew Jordan DE
2. Deon Jackson TB
3. Victor Dimukje DT
4. Maquis Waters CB
5. A walk-in placekicker (Diggers or Cone?)

The rest -- Johnson, Mawede, Blackwell are very good prospects, but unless there is a rash of injuries to their spots, I would expect them to redshirt.

Devil549
06-27-2017, 01:52 PM
O Fan thanks for reminding me about Santos I have a case of CRS some times but I think he was basically a backup until injuries got him more playing time.

I do think one or two of the Freshmen DEs may play as a True Frosh as McDonald and Price started most of the time but let's hope we can RS all the DTs.

I have heard good things about our RS Freshmen RBs hopefully we can RS Frosh but Coach Cut needs and will play people who can help Duke win.

Stone and Blaser the 2 OL who graduated and started were not highly recruit IIRC but played out real well as RS Jr & Sr IMO. Now we have potentially more talented recruits along the OL that unit will play better and all Freshmen OL RS.

FadedTackyShirt
06-27-2017, 02:23 PM
While I agree with your point overall -- that freshmen OL should never play -- it's not true that Cut has never played one. He played Julian Santos nine games (101 snaps) last season. Before that, you have to go back to Bryan Morgan in 2007 to find a true freshmen playing in the OL.

It is interesting that a number of true freshmen OL have played at excelled in the ACC in recent years -- Clemson, FSU and Georgia Tech have all had success with true freshmen starters up front.

But I think that's the difference between five-star and four-star (or three-star) recruits. We see it in basketball, where we expect Duke's five-star recruits to be immediate impact players. But Duke doesn't get five-star recruits in football (not since Vince Oghabaase). You can find a lot of three star and four star gems, but it takes time to let them grow.

A true freshman QB or OL is far from ideal, but occasionally happens even on great teams (Jalen Hurts and Jonah Williams for 2016 'Bama). Jonah is a freak and moving from RT to LT in 2017. Hard to imagine a true frosh starting C or LT, but never say never.

Bob Green
06-27-2017, 04:07 PM
Bob,

One thing I did notice in your Position Guide-RBs, I don't think you mentioned Nico Pierre, the former QB recruit. He has really bulked up, and from watching the spring showcase, it looked like he was ahead of Deveaux at the RB position.

I thought long and hard on Pierre before opting to leave him off my list of running backs who will compete for playing time -- hopefully I am wrong. My reasoning is he couldn't crack the rotation last season when we were short available running backs so I am not optimistic he can compete against the younger recruits at the position. Probably short sighted reasoning on my part.

Avvocato
06-27-2017, 05:06 PM
Bob - Great summaries. Here are a few of my thoughts:

* Regarding the wide receivers, I agree that I believe we have a solid group though are missing that #1 type. Using the baseball analogy of a pitching rotation with the ace as the #1 starter through the fifth pitcher, I think we have a bunch of solid #2's and #3's. We're looking for that #1 receiver to emerge, that guy that can just go get you catches, first downs, and just make a play when everyone knows you need to make a play. We're hoping that Bracey has that kind of ability. If we don't find a true #1, we at least need to find someone who can consistently stretch the field (which also requires our QB to throw it near him and for the receiver to catch it - we usually are missing one aspect of this play), or be able to take a slant and break it. The ability to stretch the field will open things up for our short passing game, our TE's and create more room for our running back to operate. It will also loosen up the line for our running attack. Right now, defenses don't have to worry about deep balls (with the possible exception of Rahming getting free).

* Our linebackers may be our best and deepest position. Humphreys and Giles-Harris are real good and the heart of the defense. I love Bere (I hope he's healthy). Carmichael is a solid veteran, and we have very promising young players. I believe with our talent and depth at the linebacking position, I would like to see some more 4-3 alignments. I'm all for getting our best players on the field. I'm not suggesting we alter our entire defense, but I would like to see some more of it. We have used it occasionally against option teams.

* Running back is one of those positions where young players can step in more easily, since it's a very instinctual position. What usually holds young RBs back is how quickly they can pick up blocking schemes and blitz adjustments. We have a lot of nice young recruits that I'm excited to see step in.

Nice to see that Taiyon Palmer is now an ESPN 300 recruit (at #252). See: http://www.espn.com/college-sports/football/recruiting/playerrankings/_/view/rn300/sort/rank/class/2018

Also can't believe that the 2017 ACC Football Kickoff is a few weeks away (July 13). Bryon Fields and Daniel Jones will represent Duke: http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211636618&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Hero Sports (don't really know them) but they are counting down the top 100 teams. They rank us at #60. Here's their preview: http://herosports.com/college-football-100/duke-football-preview-2017-ahah

If you are interested, here's a U. of Miami blog preview of our team/game: https://www.stateoftheu.com/2017/6/21/15843172/miami-hurricanes-football-2017-game-preview-duke-wallace-wade-richt-cutcliffe-daniel-jones. Naturally, they believe they will win, but it's not a bad take on our squad.

rtnorthrup
06-27-2017, 05:27 PM
I thought long and hard on Pierre before opting to leave him off my list of running backs who will compete for playing time -- hopefully I am wrong. My reasoning is he couldn't crack the rotation last season when we were short available running backs so I am not optimistic he can compete against the younger recruits at the position. Probably short sighted reasoning on my part.

Only reason I even mentioned it is that so many people are touting Brown and Deveaux as R-FR, but Pierre seemed to be ahead of Deveaux at the end of Spring. Pierre is a bit of an X-factor for me; I was a little surprised that he did not get more carries after Jela got hurt. I do wonder if that was because he couldn't pick up the blocking scheme. I wouldn't be surprised at all to see Pierre passed by one of the FR RBs, but I also wouldn't be surprised to see him get some goal line/short yardage carries. He has a little bulk to him, certainly more than Wilson.

rtnorthrup
06-27-2017, 06:02 PM
* Regarding the wide receivers, I agree that I believe we have a solid group though are missing that #1 type. Using the baseball analogy of a pitching rotation with the ace as the #1 starter through the fifth pitcher, I think we have a bunch of solid #2's and #3's. We're looking for that #1 receiver to emerge, that guy that can just go get you catches, first downs, and just make a play when everyone knows you need to make a play. We're hoping that Bracey has that kind of ability. If we don't find a true #1, we at least need to find someone who can consistently stretch the field (which also requires our QB to throw it near him and for the receiver to catch it - we usually are missing one aspect of this play), or be able to take a slant and break it. The ability to stretch the field will open things up for our short passing game, our TE's and create more room for our running back to operate. It will also loosen up the line for our running attack. Right now, defenses don't have to worry about deep balls (with the possible exception of Rahming getting free).

Just something to keep in mind, over the last three games of the season, TJ Rahming had 28 catches for 333 yards. Extrapolate that for a full season, and it would certainly qualify as #1 WR numbers.

Most of us are still hoping that the uber talented Scott Bracey steps up and solidifies that outside WR position.

devildeac
06-27-2017, 08:18 PM

Guessing which true freshmen will play depends on two issues -- team need and player ability.

I can't think of any area where Duke NEEDS immediate impact, except in the kicking department. There are three recruited walk-ons in camp to challenge Reed (and Austin Parker, who kicked last spring). If one of them wins the job in preseason, that guy will go on scholarship very quickly.

The other area that needs an upgrade is the pass rush. A year ago, we were desperate at DL and played five true freshmen DEs. It's a promising bunch, but none had had a huge impact as a pass rusher. I think that's why Drew Jordan is almost certainly (barring injury) the most likely freshman to make an impact.

I too like Deon Jackson -- and running back is a position where freshman often make a big impact. But Duke does have Shaun Wilson, backed up by two very promising redshirt freshmen (Brown and Deveaux. Cut usually likes to go three-deep at TB and it takes 4-5 players to maintain three-deep throughout the season. So I think there is room for Jackson.

This freshman class has a lot of quality at the receiver positions. But Cut has said this is the deepest WR group he's ever had -- and he's adding Bracey to Rahming, Lloyd. Chambers, Fuller, Young and Taylor. But freshman Damond Johnson is faster than any of them. Does that earn him playing time? At TE, Cut has two solid veterans (Helm and Koppenhaver), plus a very promising redshirt in Birmingham. Is three enough? If not then Marwede (the second rated prospect in this class) or Gray, a guy they like a lot, will get a chance. At least one will redshirt, maybe both.

I can't see a true freshmen OL playing.

To go to defense -- Jordan is the one likely contributor up front. Maybe one of the three DTs (Dimukje is the best), but certainly nobody at LB, where Duke has two starters, five veterans and two very highly rated redshirt freshmen.

The secondary is a different story. Duke has three vets at CB (that counts Mark Gilbert, who played as a true freshman last year; and junior Zach Muniz, who redshirted last year) and one redshirt freshman. If Waters is as good as the staff thinks, he could crack that rotation. At safety, Duke has five veterans and three nice redshirts. Maybe Josh Blackwell could play, but there is a lot of talent ahead of him.

Understand that freshmen DBs and LBs sometimes get on the field early as coverage guys on kick returns. No way to guess who slips through that crack.

I guess if I had to rate the most likely to play in order:

1. Drew Jordan DE
2. Deon Jackson TB
3. Victor Dimukje DT
4. Maquis Waters CB
5. A walk-in placekicker (Diggers or Cone?)

The rest -- Johnson, Mawede, Blackwell are very good prospects, but unless there is a rash of injuries to their spots, I would expect them to redshirt.

Great summary. Thanks!

Olympic Fan
06-28-2017, 02:24 AM
Big recruiting news today ...

The No. 1 running back in the Class of 2018 is a kid named Zamir "Zeus" White, from Scotland County, NC. He made his commitment Tuesday.

The UNC people were sure they were going to get him ... instead, he committed to Georgia.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19750849/zamir-white-no-1-running-back-commits-georgia-bulldogs

If you want a laugh, visit the Tar Pit (the football message board associated with Inside Carolina) are read some of the comments. It's side-splitting ... like the fans who can't understand why a kid would pass up a chance to attend "a top 25 academic school"

This one in particular drives me crazy. For a whole host of reasons. We can pretty much offer anything UGA can,, and in most cases more. Only to still lose him. In comparison to GA in this case, to me it's just not close. 1-Top 25 Academics, 2- Top 20 most beautiful campus, 3- Top 10 College Town, 4- Basically 4 hours closer for your friends and family to see you 5- exposure is equal 6- your best friend "blood brother" already plays here, 6- Top 10 in first round picks since 2010, 7- 2nd only to Bama in RB's in the NFL, 8- Top 5 in wins over the last 2 years 9- Were the home team. 10- He should be able to start day 1 period, that's not a given over at GA because they still will have 2 beast backs there after Chubb and Michell leave. There's literally no reason we shouldn't have landed this guy

You can't make this stuff up.

OldPhiKap
06-28-2017, 04:33 AM

The No. 1 running back in the Class of 2018 is a kid named Zamir "Zeus" White, from Scotland County, NC. He made his commitment Tuesday.

The UNC people were sure they were going to get him ... instead, he committed to Georgia.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19750849/zamir-white-no-1-running-back-commits-georgia-bulldogs

If you want a laugh, visit the Tar Pit (the football message board associated with Inside Carolina) are read some of the comments. It's side-splitting ... like the fans who can't understand why a kid would pass up a chance to attend "a top 25 academic school"

This one in particular drives me crazy. For a whole host of reasons. We can pretty much offer anything UGA can,, and in most cases more. Only to still lose him. In comparison to GA in this case, to me it's just not close. 1-Top 25 Academics, 2- Top 20 most beautiful campus, 3- Top 10 College Town, 4- Basically 4 hours closer for your friends and family to see you 5- exposure is equal 6- your best friend "blood brother" already plays here, 6- Top 10 in first round picks since 2010, 7- 2nd only to Bama in RB's in the NFL, 8- Top 5 in wins over the last 2 years 9- Were the home team. 10- He should be able to start day 1 period, that's not a given over at GA because they still will have 2 beast backs there after Chubb and Michell leave. There's literally no reason we shouldn't have landed this guy

That really is delusional, all the way around. Except that Georgia is loaded and he may not get as many touches as a frosh than he would at UNC.

The idea that UNC and UGa are somehow on par in football -- let alone that UNC is superior -- is laughable. UGa had a rebuilding year with a new coach last season; they should be much improved this year. (Although I would not be surprised to see Notre Dame knock them off early in South Bend).

arnie
06-28-2017, 06:54 AM

Guess he chose Georgia cause he can't stand UNC fans. There can't be any other reason.

Olympic Fan
06-28-2017, 02:12 PM
Not huge news, but Cut just made a number of changes to his support staff:

From the release:

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday the addition of four staff members and the promotion of another for the 2017 campaign. Joining the Blue Devil program are graduate assistant coach Cory Beck, Football Operations assistants Justin Manning and Gerad Parker and Football Assistant Director of Information Technology Andy Parham. In addition, Cutcliffe announced the promotion of Adam Barkley to the position of Football Director of Information Technology.

jimsumner
06-28-2017, 02:21 PM
Not huge news, but Cut just made a number of changes to his support staff:

From the release:

DURHAM, N.C. – Duke head coach David Cutcliffe announced on Wednesday the addition of four staff members and the promotion of another for the 2017 campaign. Joining the Blue Devil program are graduate assistant coach Cory Beck, Football Operations assistants Justin Manning and Gerad Parker and Football Assistant Director of Information Technology Andy Parham. In addition, Cutcliffe announced the promotion of Adam Barkley to the position of Football Director of Information Technology.

Interesting backstory on Parker.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article158596404.html

sagegrouse
06-28-2017, 02:51 PM
Guess he chose Georgia cause he can't stand UNC fans. There can't be any other reason.

I can understand the sentiment: "Stay home and your friends can see you play." The truth is often very different. My attitude applying to college was, "I am so out of here!"

chrishoke
06-28-2017, 04:14 PM

Pretty inflammatory headline: "Despite criminal charge back home, Duke hires former interim Big Ten head coach"

NSDukeFan
06-28-2017, 05:26 PM

Top 5 in wins in the conference? Certainly not in the country.

brevity
06-28-2017, 05:43 PM

Small town NC native defects to UGA? If he needs a nickname, I'm sure he can borrow The Human Highlight Film (https://www.peachtreehoops.com/2015/4/15/8419137/dominique-wilkins-espn-documentary-atlanta-hawks).

OZ
06-28-2017, 08:51 PM
Pretty inflammatory headline: "Despite criminal charge back home, Duke hires former interim Big Ten head coach"

Cut: " I know he’s comfortable with it. and I’m comfortable with it."

If Cut is "comfortable" with it, I'm comfortable with it.

Newton_14
07-01-2017, 03:57 PM

I work directly with Andy Parham's dad. Pretty cool. Kid comes from a great family. After working at a couple deep south colleges, this was a 'get to come home" job opportunity for him and he loves it already.

nocilla
07-04-2017, 09:12 AM

Not surprising from a UNC fan but he can't count either.

richmclean
07-06-2017, 07:09 AM
Duke has landed 3-star Cornerback Nate Thompson from Sanford NC. He has nice size at 6-2, 180 and has an offer sheet that includes South Carolina, VA Tech, NC State, Purdue, Syracuse and Wake Forest and interest from Clemson.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017/7/6/15927214/duke-football-cutliffe-nabs-another-in-state-recruit-duke-gang

Welcome to Duke Nate Thompson!!

chrishoke
07-06-2017, 07:35 AM
Duke has landed 3-star Cornerback Nate Thompson from Sanford NC. He has nice size at 6-2, 180 and has an offer sheet that includes South Carolina, VA Tech, NC State, Purdue, Syracuse and Wake Forest and interest from Clemson.

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017/7/6/15927214/duke-football-cutliffe-nabs-another-in-state-recruit-duke-gang

After no NC recruits last year, Nate is our 5th in this year's class. Welcome Nate!

OldPhiKap
07-06-2017, 07:59 AM
Welcome, Nate!

chrishoke
07-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Rivals rates Nate a 4 star recruit. 247 rates him a high 3 star.

JNort
07-06-2017, 11:27 AM
Hate to bring this back up (love it actually) buuutttt......

Guess that "top 25" academics didn't teach someone how to count...

Olympic Fan
07-06-2017, 12:58 PM

It's not quite another North Carolina guy, but just over the border at Richland, SC (which is actually in the center of the state), there is a 3/4 star running back named Mataeo Durant who will announce his college choice Saturday. Durant is 6-0, 183 and runs the 40 in 4.46. He's expected to choose between Duke and Virginia Tech, but he also has offers from West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Wake Forest, East Carolina and over a dozen smaller schools.

Bob Green
07-06-2017, 03:57 PM
A cornerback with size is great news! ESPN rates him at 3 stars and lists his 40 time as 4.71. Welcome to Duke!

It would be nice to land Mataeo Durant as we do not have a RB in the class to date. Another Sanford, NC recruit being pursued is RB Jahmir Smith from Lee County High School.

JNort
07-07-2017, 05:06 PM
A cornerback with size is great news! ESPN rates him at 3 stars and lists his 40 time as 4.71. Welcome to Duke!

It would be nice to land Mataeo Durant as we do not have a RB in the class to date. Another Sanford, NC recruit being pursued is RB Jahmir Smith from Lee County High School.
A 4.7 40 time sounds awful for a corner. Is that normal?

Just checked and yeah that's bad. He should (and I hope) get faster but how much can he improve that by?

jimsumner
07-07-2017, 06:40 PM

Just checked and yeah that's bad. He should (and I hope) get faster but how much can he improve that by?

I've seen him listed as a safety down the road.

That could be why.

Olympic Fan
07-07-2017, 07:17 PM

First, I wish we could move this discussion into the 2018 football recruiting thread (which is just 5-6 spots down from this one on the E-King Board).

Second, I wouldn't get to too upset about listed 40 times for high school kids. I'm not saying that speed -- best reflected in the 40 time -- is not important. Just that the times we see listed at 247, scout, rivals, espn, etc., are notoriously unreliable. Part of the problem is that there is no criteria -- are the kids measured in shorts on grass? On a track? With running shoes? With cleats? Hand-timed or electronically timed? Are the measured at the end of practice? Before practice?

So many variables that there may be little or no real difference between a 4.7 and a 4.5.

I trust Cut in the sense that this was a kid that Duke had in camp and they were able to measure using their preferred criteria. Does he have corner speed? Or will he end up a safety? I don't know.

But I do know this kind had offers from Virginia Tech, NC State, South Carolina and Purdue. They must have thought he was fast enough to play.

gep
07-08-2017, 01:10 AM
I also remember hearing on a radio sports talk show a few years ago that there are coaches that "target" the combine... specifically the 40 time. Supposedly coaching technique to get the 40 time down. So... maybe the 40 time, if well coached, can look impressive "in a vacuum".

chrishoke
07-08-2017, 01:54 PM
It's not quite another North Carolina guy, but just over the border at Richland, SC (which is actually in the center of the state), there is a 3/4 star running back named Mataeo Durant who will announce his college choice Saturday. Durant is 6-0, 183 and runs the 40 in 4.46. He's expected to choose between Duke and Virginia Tech, but he also has offers from West Virginia, Georgia Tech, Mississippi State, Wake Forest, East Carolina and over a dozen smaller schools.

We got him! Welcome to Duke football Mataeo Durant!

budwom
07-08-2017, 02:23 PM

I believe it is safe to say that most of the 40 times that are listed for kids are meaningless....very few are legitimately timed.
So a 4.7, though not great, is not as bad as one might think....lots of 4.4s and 4.5s are bogus.

OldPhiKap
07-09-2017, 07:10 AM
55 days until kick-off. We're getting there!

Olympic Fan
07-10-2017, 01:26 PM
Nice recognition ---

Daniel Jones was just selected for the preseason watch list for the Maxwell Trophy

Ben Humphries made the preseason watch list for the Bednarick Award.

Avvocato
07-10-2017, 03:40 PM
Nice recognition ---

Daniel Jones was just selected for the preseason watch list for the Maxwell Trophy

Ben Humphries made the preseason watch list for the Bednarick Award.

Thanks. Congratulations to both of them and nice job by the media to put each on the list. Well deserving.

Bob Green
07-10-2017, 03:42 PM
Nice recognition ---

Here is a link to an article at GoDuke.com:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211644337&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Jones, a 6-5, 215-pound native of Charlotte, N.C., is one of two returning quarterbacks in the ACC to have produced 2,500 or more passing yards, 15 or more passing TDs, 450 or more rushing yards and five or more rushing TDs a season ago, joining Louisville’s Lamar Jackson, recipient of the 2016 Heisman Trophy.

OldPhiKap
07-10-2017, 06:43 PM
Another great article by Bob Green on the front page.

I really think that Ben Albert may be the best addition to the staff in the last few years. I have high expectations for what he can get done over time. Having said that, defensive line is perhaps the biggest question mark for me this year.

Olympic Fan
07-11-2017, 01:33 PM
Two more preseason nominees

Austin Kelly was picked for the preseason watch list for the Rimington Award (for the nation's best C)

Daniel Helm was picked for the Mackey Award preseason watch list (for the nation's best TE)

chrishoke
07-11-2017, 02:46 PM
Two more preseason nominees

Austin Kelly was picked for the preseason watch list for the Rimington Award (for the nation's best C)

Daniel Helm was picked for the Mackey Award preseason watch list (for the nation's best TE)

Correction - should be Austin Davis.

Olympic Fan
07-11-2017, 02:56 PM
Correction - should be Austin Davis.

D'oh ... thanks for the correction. I do that all the time.

budwom
07-11-2017, 03:05 PM
Humphreys

Bob Green
07-13-2017, 04:48 PM
Steve Wiseman on the two deep rotation:

http://www.heraldsun.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article161174558.html

The Blue Devils’ depth chart, put together after spring practice and made public on Thursday at the ACC Football Kickoff media event, features 22 sophomores or freshmen on the two-deep chart.

I looked over at GoDuke.com but did not find the whole two deep rotation posted. Hopefully Olympic Fan or Jim Sumner will post it here soon.

chrishoke
07-13-2017, 05:06 PM

Bob Green
07-13-2017, 05:24 PM

How many true freshmen break into the two deep? My money is on DE Drew Jordan to play immediately. RB Deon Jackson or Marvin Hubbard are possibilities as Coach Cutcliffe will look to rotate three or four running backs.

chrishoke
07-13-2017, 06:08 PM
How many true freshmen break into the two deep? My money is on DE Drew Jordan to play immediately. RB Deon Jackson or Marvin Hubbard are possibilities as Coach Cutcliffe will look to rotate three or four running backs.

I think we will redshirt our highest percentage of freshmen ever for Duke. I really like the depth on our two deep.

Bob Green
07-13-2017, 06:16 PM
I think we will redshirt our highest percentage of freshmen ever for Duke. I really like the depth on our two deep.

You have a valid point and I believe the number of true freshmen who play will be down, eight played last season and five or six the season before. Three is probably a good over/under.

Devil549
07-13-2017, 07:38 PM
Biggest surprise to me is Gilbert dropped to 3rd CB.

Looking forward to seeing which true freshmen move into 2 deep.

JasonEvans
07-14-2017, 09:41 AM
Anyone notice that punter Austin Parker is listed as the starting placekicker too?

Olympic Fan
07-14-2017, 04:51 PM
Biggest surprise to me is Gilbert dropped to 3rd CB.

Looking forward to seeing which true freshmen move into 2 deep.

Keep in mind, this depth chart is the final spring depth chart. It is somewhat shaped by guys who were hurt or missed time in spring. That could be why Gilbert slipped so badly ... it's also why Austin Parker is listed as the starting PK. He beat out AJ Reed and three walk-ons in the spring.

Very little chance Parker handles the placekicking this fall. The staff is betting on one of three recruited walk-on kickers -- probably Duggers. But there will be real competition starting as soon as practice starts and somebody will have to win the job. Cut said there will also be competition for the long-snapper and the holding jobs.

Furniture
07-14-2017, 09:23 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/J_Shmurda44/status/886002841072140289/video/1

this is hilarious!!

Bob Green
07-15-2017, 07:57 AM
ACC Kickoff:

http://www.theacc.com/news/2017-acc-kickoff-the-coastal-division-07-14-2017

“I believe in my heart of hearts, this team is the deepest, most talented team we've had at Duke yet,” said Cutcliffe, who is preparing for his 10th season in Durham. “We are young in certain spots. We have concerns in certain little areas. But I think this team will display what we're capable of being at Duke, and we believe we can compete for championships every year. That's where we had gotten to, and that's where we intend to be.”

Bob Green
07-15-2017, 10:22 AM
Here is a nice article on quarterback Daniel Jones and Duke's off-season conditioning program:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article161451058.html?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200

“He physically different,” Duke coach David Cutcliffe said. “He is stronger, I believe faster. No question, there’s a big difference in that year that has occurred physically.”

devildeac
07-15-2017, 11:00 AM
Here is a nice article on quarterback Daniel Jones and Duke's off-season conditioning program:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article161451058.html?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_OEM_ID=4200

I'll see your Mr. Jones and raise you a Bryon Fields:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article161430943.html

;)

Bob Green
07-15-2017, 02:49 PM
I'll see your Mr. Jones and raise you a Bryon Fields

I'll see your Bryon Fields and raise you a second Daniel Jones:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/07/duke-football-looks-to-contend-in-wide-open-coastal-division

Having a starting quarterback that was able to shake off some early growing pains last season could help Duke more in the first few weeks of this season. The Blue Devils’ first two ACC games are against the Tar Heels and Miami, and both of those teams will have quarterback competitions in fall camp.

OldPhiKap
07-15-2017, 03:23 PM
Seven weeks, two hours, thirty-seven minutes or so to go!!!

devildeac
07-15-2017, 03:53 PM
I'll see your Bryon Fields and raise you a second Daniel Jones:

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2017/07/duke-football-looks-to-contend-in-wide-open-coastal-division

Great stuff, Bob. And I'll "call" you with a kicking game article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article161472903.html

;)

OldPhiKap
07-15-2017, 04:16 PM
Great stuff, Bob. And I'll "call" you with a kicking game article:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article161472903.html

;)

Thanks dd. Kicking is probably my biggest concern this offseason. We were, to be polite, not very good in this area last season.

devildeac
07-15-2017, 05:29 PM
Thanks dd. Kicking is probably my biggest concern this offseason. We were, to be polite, not very good in this area last season.

That's being waaaay more than polite. That article makes it sound promising but it couldn't get much worse than last year.

chrishoke
07-15-2017, 06:00 PM
My only kicking concern is just how much we are going to kick butt this year.

JasonEvans
07-15-2017, 06:05 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/J_Shmurda44/status/886002841072140289/video/1

this is hilarious!!

I'm not sure which is better -- Cut dancing or Cut playing giant Jenga!

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-16-2017, 11:55 AM
Seven weeks, two hours, thirty-seven minutes or so to go!!!

As of Sunday, July 16, 48 days!

chrishoke
07-17-2017, 10:59 AM
Brett McMurphy‏Verified account
@Brett_McMurphy
Follow
More
ACC preseason poll: Atlantic-FSU, Clem, UL, NCSt, WF, SU, BC; Coastal-UM, VT, GT, Pitt, UNC, Duke, Va. FSU gets 117 of 166 votes to win ACC
10:52 AM - 17 Jul 2017

OldPhiKap
07-17-2017, 11:11 AM
@Brett_McMurphy
Follow
More
ACC preseason poll: Atlantic-FSU, Clem, UL, NCSt, WF, SU, BC; Coastal-UM, VT, GT, Pitt, UNC, Duke, Va. FSU gets 117 of 166 votes to win ACC

I think we're gonna surprise some people.

luvdahops
07-17-2017, 01:11 PM

I agree. From what I understand, the coaching staff is very excited about this team, and believes it may be their deepest and most talented overall yet. While the schedule is pretty brutal, I expect us to go bowling, and believe 7 to 9 regular season wins is a reasonable expectation.

OldPhiKap
07-17-2017, 01:26 PM
I agree. From what I understand, the coaching staff is very excited about this team, and believes it may be their deepest and most talented overall yet. While the schedule is pretty brutal, I expect us to go bowling, and believe 7 to 9 regular season wins is a reasonable expectation.

From your keyboard to God's monitor.

Other than health (which is always variable #1 in football), I think our D-line and our kicking game will be the largest determiners of how far we go. I am optimistic about our D-line given the strong coaching we have there. I'm a bit on pins and needles about the kicking game though.

Olympic Fan
07-17-2017, 02:00 PM
@Brett_McMurphy
Follow
More

Duke was picked 6th in the Coastal Division (with four first-place voters), but surprisingly got one vote as overall ACC champion. Here's the full list (released this morning):

ACC Championship
1. Florida State - 118
2. Clemson - 35
3. Louisville - 7
4-t. Virginia Tech – 3
4-t. Miami – 3
6. Duke – 1

Atlantic Division
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Florida State (121) – 1,108
2. Clemson (37) – 1,007
3. Louisville (9) - 843
4. NC State - 658
5. Wake Forest – 415
6. Syracuse - 362
7. Boston College - 283

Coastal Division
(First place votes in parenthesis)
1. Miami (103) – 1,065
2. Virginia Tech (40) – 932
3. Georgia Tech (9) – 708
4. Pitt (7) – 673
5. North Carolina (4) - 606
6. Duke (4) -473
7. Virginia -219

ACC Player of the Year
1. Lamar Jackson, QB, Louisville - 113
2. Deondre Francois, QB, Florida State - 23
3. Christian Wilkins, DT, Clemson - 11
4. Harold Landry, DE, Boston College - 8
5. Jaylen Samuels, AP, NC State - 7
6. Eric Dungey, QB, Syracuse - 2
7-t. Shaquille Quarterman, LB, Miami - 1
7-t. Ahmmon Richards, WR, Miami - 1
7-t. Daniel Jones, QB, Duke - 1

Bob Green
07-17-2017, 03:27 PM
...I expect us to go bowling, and believe 7 to 9 regular season wins is a reasonable expectation.

Nine wins might be a stretch but seven or eight is a reasonable expectation. It is difficult for the media voters and fans to expect a lot from a team which went 4-8 last season and lost key players. The team will be young but for the past several years the young players coming in have been more talented than the players moving on.

Bob Green
07-17-2017, 03:33 PM
Shaun Wilson is on the Paul Hornung Award watch list:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=211650397

Duke senior running back/kickoff returner Shaun Wilson was named to the watch list for the Paul Hornung Award presented by Texas Roadhouse, an honor presented to the most versatile player in the nation by The Louisville Sports Commission. It is the first year Wilson has been on the list.

luvdahops
07-17-2017, 04:24 PM
Nine wins might be a stretch but seven or eight is a reasonable expectation. It is difficult for the media voters and fans to expect a lot from a team which went 4-8 last season and lost key players. The team will be young but for the past several years the young players coming in have been more talented than the players moving on.

Fair points. I don't know if you read Phil Steele at all (his CFB annual is the sport's bible in my view), but I am confident that he will pick Duke for a bowl and to be among the nation's most improved teams for 2018.

OldPhiKap
07-17-2017, 04:27 PM

Have they picked us last or second to last in our division each of the last 10 or so Cutcliffe years? I find the poll a bit hard to buy when they have consistently under-voted us. At least, that's my perception -- may have to pull up the numbers somewhere later.

Bob Green
07-17-2017, 04:40 PM
Have they picked us last or second to last in our division each of the last 10 or so Cutcliffe years? I find the poll a bit hard to buy when they have consistently under-voted us. At least, that's my perception -- may have to pull up the numbers somewhere later.

Al Featherston article on the front page says last year's 4-8 record set the clock back six years when it comes to the perception of Duke:

https://www.dukebasketballreport.com/2017/7/17/15980644/acc-football-takes-center-stage-cutcliffe

It’s just a personal observation, but after talking to dozens of other writers and listening to their questions Friday at Operation Football, I believe the perception is that Duke’s 2012-15 bowl run was a lucky aberration and last year’s 4-8 season was a reversion to the Devils’ mediocre norm.

Al goes on to say he sees a lot of similarity between 2017 Duke and 2013 Duke which won the Coastal.

Olympic Fan
07-17-2017, 10:39 PM

Duke has been picked last or next to last in the Coastal every year that Cut has been at Duke -- with the exception of 2014. Duke was picked second in the division that season -- and came within a missed mid-range FG by the most accurate kicker in Duke history of repeating as Coastal Champs.

Duke has actually finished 6th or 7th in the Coastal every year since the league divided -- except for three seasons: 2013 (first), 2014 (second) and 2015 (fourth)

OldPhiKap
07-17-2017, 11:45 PM
Duke has been picked last or next to last in the Coastal every year that Cut has been at Duke -- with the exception of 2014. Duke was picked second in the division that season -- and came within a missed mid-range FG by the most accurate kicker in Duke history of repeating as Coastal Champs.

Duke has actually finished 6th or 7th in the Coastal every year since the league divided -- except for three seasons: 2013 (first), 2014 (second) and 2015 (fourth)

Thanks Oly, I knew someone more qualified than I could distill this.

peloton
07-18-2017, 09:33 PM
Please note that I'll be starting a message board called Duke Football Optimist. I'll be encouraging those who go above and beyond the call of duty in continually exhibiting optimism regarding the program to post. Let it hereby be known that the following are lifetime members:

I'm with you there, OPK.

While the schedule is pretty brutal, I expect us to go bowling, and believe 7 to 9 regular season wins is a reasonable expectation.

I like the way you think, Luvdahops.

Nine wins might be a stretch but seven or eight is a reasonable expectation.

Bob, your optimism here might be a bit in check, but it still shines through! :)

P.S. - Also, note that CameronBornAndBred, DevilDeac, and last but not least, our exemplar...our guru...Mr. Optimism himself...Ozzie, are honorary lifetime members - so it is and so it shall forever be.

OldPhiKap
07-18-2017, 09:36 PM
Please note that I'll be starting a message board called Duke Football Optimist. I'll be encouraging those who go above and beyond the call of duty in continually exhibiting optimism regarding the program to post. Let it hereby be known that the following are lifetime members:

I'm with you there, OPK.

Bob, your optimism here might be a bit in check, but it still shines through! :)

P.S. - Also, note that CameronBornAndBred, DevilDeac, and last but not least, our exemplar...our guru...Mr. Optimism himself...Ozzie, are honorary lifetime members - so it is and so it shall forever be.

DevilInBlueDress should be a charter member as well. She and Bob leave the rest of us in their wake.

Count me in!

devildeac
07-18-2017, 10:08 PM

I'm with you there, OPK.

Many thanks. I'm honored and humbled to be included in you list. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
07-18-2017, 10:16 PM

I'm with you there, OPK.

15 and 0 baby! 15-0! LGD GTHc!

Indoor66
07-19-2017, 08:44 AM
Many thanks. I'm honored and humbled to be included in you list. :D

Awwwww, come on. Who are you kidding? ;):o:cool:

rtnorthrup
07-19-2017, 08:54 AM
Fair points. I don't know if you read Phil Steele at all (his CFB annual is the sport's bible in my view), but I am confident that he will pick Duke for a bowl and to be among the nation's most improved teams for 2018.

I am actually very interested to see how Steele rates us this year. His metrics rely heavily on # of returning starters, # of upperclassmen, and a 3 year historical trend. Of course, last year was a regression from the previous 3-4 years, so we should fair well in that regard, but the other two points, we don't fair well in. Duke is going to rely on a lot of younger players with very little experience this year. I don't necessarily view that as a negative, given how improved our last 2-3 recruiting classes has been, but I don't think we will fair very well in Steele's algorithm.

budwom
07-19-2017, 10:24 AM
LOL at the Iron Duke missive I got yesterday.....nice idea actually, a member of the team will hand deliver season tickets to someone who registers for the contest. But hey, you've got to live
within 100 miles of Derm! Way to think big! For those of us who travel many hundreds of miles to see most home games, and did so when the Yoh and Eleven Devils prevailed, it's a good thing that
travel doesn't scare us. You think the Iron Dukes could rustle up one (1) plane fare out of the $250 million they just raised for athletics alone in the Duke Forward campaign?

Plus it might be a good opportunity for a Blue Devil to see something new, like Sheboygan, or Enid, or Underhill Center.

Nope, anything beyond Fuquay-Varina is beyond the edge of the earth....Kyrie knew this all along!

rtnorthrup
07-19-2017, 10:28 AM
LOL at the Iron Duke missive I got yesterday....nice idea actually, a member of the team will hand deliver season tickets to someone who registers for the contest. But hey, you've got to live
within 100 miles of Derm! Way to think big! For those of us who travel many hundreds of miles to see most home games, and did so when the Yoh and Eleven Devils prevailed, it's a good thing that
travel doesn't scare us. You think the Iron Dukes could rustle up one (1) plane fare out of the $250 million they just raised for athletics alone in the Duke Forward campaign?

Plus it might be a good opportunity for a Blue Devil to see something new, like Sheboygan, or Enid, or Underhill Center.

Nope, anything beyond Fuquay-Varina is beyond the edge of the earth...Kyrie knew this all along!

NCAA would probably consider it an extra benefit and give us the death penalty.

60sDukie
07-19-2017, 11:19 AM
LOL at the Iron Duke missive I got yesterday...nice idea actually, a member of the team will hand deliver season tickets to someone who registers for the contest. But hey, you've got to live

Nope, anything beyond Fuquay-Varina is beyond the edge of the earth...Kyrie knew this all along!

I've often felt that those of us who travel and spend the night for every home game should be rewarded in some tangible way over and beyond victory on the field. How about a contest for sideline passes or something like that?

budwom
07-19-2017, 12:27 PM
I've often felt that those of us who travel and spend the night for every home game should be rewarded in some tangible way over and beyond victory on the field. How about a contest for sideline passes or something like that?

I hear ya. I wasn't even looking for any special recognition, merely advocating they widen their horizons a wee bit. "Come to Duke, widen your horizons!"*

*limit 100 mile radius. Other limits may apply.

For all the effort they say they've put forth in marketing to the locals, Duke football hardly has a pulse in Durham outside of alums....so why not cast a humorous tidbit our way, send us a wide receiver with a book of tickets?

Olympic Fan
07-19-2017, 01:43 PM
The preseason All-ACC team was announced today and Duke was shut out:

2017 All-ACC Preseason Football Team

Offense
WR – Deon Cain, Jr., Clemson
WR – Ahmmon Richards, So., Miami
WR – Cam Phillips, Sr., Virginia Tech
TE – Cam Serigne, Sr.-r, Wake Forest
AP – Jaylen Samuels, Sr., NC State
OT – Mitch Hyatt, Jr., Clemson
OT – Brian O’Neill, Jr.-r, Pitt
OG – Tyrone Crowder, Sr.-r, Clemson
OG – Wyatt Teller, Sr.-r, Virginia Tech
C – Alec Eberle, Jr.-r, Florida State
QB – Lamar Jackson, Jr., Louisville
RB – Mark Walton, Jr., Miami
RB – Dedrick Mills, So., Georgia Tech

Defense
DE – Harold Landry, Sr., Boston College
DE – Bradley Chubb, Sr., NC State
DT – Dexter Lawrence, So., Clemson
DT – Christian Wilkins, Jr., Clemson
LB – Micah Kiser, Sr.-r, Virginia
LB – Shaquille Quarterman, So., Miami
LB – Tremaine Edmunds, Jr., Virginia Tech
CB – Tarvarus McFadden, Jr., Florida State
CB – Jaire Alexander, Jr., Louisville
S – Derwin James, So.-r, Florida State
S – Quin Blanding, Sr., Virginia

Special Teams
PK – Michael Badgley, Jr., Miami
P – A.J. Cole III, Jr., NC State
SP – Quadree Henderson, Jr., Pitt

Nobody came close -- I was really disappointed that Ben Humphreys got so little support at LB -- he was actually the third leading returning vote-getter from the 2016 All-ACC linebacker group.

2017 All-ACC Preseason Team Voting
Quarterback
Lamar Jackson, Louisville 132; Deondre Francois, Florida State 29; Eric Dungey, Syracuse 3; Daniel Jones, Duke 2; Ryan Finley, NC State 1.
Running Back
Mark Walton Miami, 127; Dedrick Mills, Georgia Tech 75; Jacques Patrick, Florida State 38; Travon McMillian, Virginia Tech 24; Nyheim Hines, NC State 19; Jeremy Smith, Louisville 16; Shaun Wilson, Duke 16; Jon Hilliman, Boston College 10; Clinton Lynch, Georgia Tech 4; Dontae Strickland, Syracuse 2; Qua Searcy, Georgia Tech 2; George Aston, Pitt 1.
Wide Receiver
Deon Cain, Clemson 103; Ahmmon Richards, Miami 77; Cam Phillips, Virginia Tech 68; Hunter Renfrow, Clemson 44; Jaylen Smith, Louisville 44; Nyqwan Murray, Florida State 33; Ervin Philips, Syracuse 24; Jester Weah, Pitt 22; Auden Tate, Florida State 22; T.J. Rahming, Duke 13; Austin Proehl, North Carolina 12; Ricky Jeune, Georgia Tech 10; Steve Ishmael, Syracuse 9; Kelvin Harmon, NC State 7; Doni Dowling, Virginia 4; Stephen Louis, NC State 3; Olamide Zaccheaus, Virginia 3; Thomas Jackson, North Carolina 2; Jeff Smith, Boston College 1.
Tight End
Cam Serigne, Wake Forest 96; Chris Herndon IV, Miami 29; Ryan Izzo, Florida State 23; Brandon Fritts, North Carolina 6; Daniel Helm, Duke 5; Tommy Sweeney, Boston College 4; Carl Tucker, North Carolina 4.
All-Purpose
Jaylen Samuels, NC State 124; Quadree Henderson, Pitt 43.
Offensive Tackle
Mitch Hyatt, Clemson 123; Brian O'Neill, Pitt 83; Bentley Spain, North Carolina 32; Rick Leonard, Florida State 20; Geron Christian, Louisville 14; Brock Ruble, Florida State 13; Tyler Jones, NC State 9; Evan Lisle, Duke 8; Sean Pollard, Clemson 8; Ryan Anderson, Wake Forest 6; Andrew Marshall, Georgia Tech 6; Yosuah Nijman, Virginia Tech 5; Justin Herron, Wake Forest 4; Jahaziel Lee, Georgia Tech 2; Lukayus McNeil, Louisville 1.
Offensive Guard
Tyrone Crowder, Clemson 123; Wyatt Teller, Virginia Tech 52; Tony Adams, NC State 50; KC McDermott, Miami 22; Landon Dickerson, Florida State 22; Parker Braun, Georgia Tech 16; Alex Officer, Pitt 13; R.J. Prince, North Carolina 7; Phil Haynes, Wake Forest 7; Taylor Hearn, Clemson 6; Will Bryan, Georgia Tech 5; Alex Bookser, Pitt 5; Tommy Hatton, North Carolina 4; Chris Lindstrom, Boston College 2.
Center
Alec Eberle, Florida State 54; Jon Baker, Boston College 51; Austin Davis, Duke 32; Eric Gallo, Virginia Tech 21; Cam Dillard, North Carolina 9.

Defensive End
Harold Landry, Boston College 111; Bradley Chubb, NC State 101; Josh Sweat, Florida State 31; Clelin Ferrell, Clemson 27; Duke Ejiofor, Wake Forest 13; Brian Burns, Florida State 11; Kentavius Street, NC State 8; KeShun Freeman, Georgia Tech 6; Vinny Mihota, Virginia Tech 6; Chad Thomas, Miami 6; Joe Jackson, Miami 5; Andrew Brown, Virginia 4; Malik Carney, North Carolina 4; Antonio Simmons, Georgia Tech 1.
Defensive Tackle
Christian Wilkins, Clemson 105; Dexter Lawrence, Clemson 105; Derrick Nnadi, Florida State 54; Demarcus Christmas, Florida State 12; R.J. McIntosh, Miami 11; Tim Settle, Virginia Tech 10; Drew Bailey, Louisville 9; Kendrick Norton, Miami 9; B.J. Hill, NC State 8; Mike Ramsay, Duke 5; Ricky Walker, Virginia Tech 3; Aaron Crawford, North Carolina 2; Chris Slayton, Syracuse 1.
Linebacker
Micah Kiser, Virginia 89; Shaquille Quarterman, Miami 78; Tremaine Edmunds, Virginia Tech 60; Zaire Franklin, Syracuse 33; Kendall Joseph, Clemson 29; Andrew Motuapuaka, Virginia Tech 24; Jacob Pugh, Florida State 22; Matthew Thomas, Florida State 20; Ben Humphreys, Duke 19; Stacy Thomas, Louisville 17; Ro'Derrick Hoskins, Florida State 16; Connor Strachan, Boston College 14; Dorian O'Daniel, Clemson 13; James Hearns, Louisville 12; Joe Giles-Harris, Duke 10; Airius Moore, NC State 9; Andre Smith, North Carolina 9; Mook Reynolds, Virginia Tech 5; Jaboree Williams, Wake Forest 4; Zach McCloud, Miami 4; Michael Pinckney, Miami 4; Parris Bennett, Syracuse 2; Trevon Young, Louisville 2; Jordan Mack, Virginia 2; Brant Mitchell, Georgia Tech 2; Cole Holcomb. North Carolina 1; Ty Schwab, Boston College 1.
Cornerback
Tarvarus McFadden, Florida State 117; Jaire Alexander, Louisville 104; M.J. Stewart, North Carolina 27; Ryan Carter, Clemson 19; Greg Stroman, Virginia Tech 18; Adonis Alexander, Virginia Tech 13; Bryon Fields Jr., Duke 12; Tim Harris, Virginia 5; Lance Austin, Georgia Tech 5; Avonte Maddox, Pitt 4; Bryce Hall, Virginia 4; Mike Stevens, NC State 4; Kamrin Moore, Boston College 2.
Safety
Derwin James, Florida State 126; Quin Blanding, Virginia 88; Terrell Edmunds, Virginia Tech 19; Jordan Whitehead, Pitt 17; Jessie Bates III, Wake Forest 15; Van Smith, Clemson 11; Nate Andrews, Florida State 8; Chucky Williams, Louisville 8; Trey Marshall, Florida State 7; Donnie Myles, North Carolina 6; Jaquan Johnson, Miami 4; Shawn Boone, NC State 4; Alonzo Saxton II, Duke 4; Lawrence Austin, Georgia Tech 4; Juan Thornhill, Virginia 3; Corey Griffin, Georgia Tech 3; Myles Dorn, North Carolina 2; Antwan Cordy, Syracuse 2; Jeremy McDuffie, Duke 2; A.J. Gray, Georgia Tech 1.
Placekicker
Michael Badgley, Miami 52; Ricky Aguayo, Florida State 34; Joey Slye, Virginia Tech 31; Greg Huegel, Clemson 29; Mike Weaver, Wake Forest 17; Blanton Creque, Louisville 4.
Punter
A.J. Cole III, NC State 33; Sterling Hofrichter, Syracuse 31; Tommy Sheldon, North Carolina 25; Mason King, Louisville 22; Dom Maggio, Wake Forest 18; Ryan Winslow, Pitt 16; Logan Tyler, Florida State 13; Austin Parker, Duke 9.
Specialist
Quadree Henderson, Pitt 98; Nyheim Hines, NC State 29; Shaun Wilson, Duke 14; Braxton Berrios, Miami 13; Sean Riley, Syracuse 5; Joe Reed, Virginia 4; J.J. Green, Georgia Tech 3; Michael Walker, Boston College 1.

devildeac
07-19-2017, 02:20 PM
Heh-heh. Also noted is the fact that the university of non-compliance got shut out, too. Stick it in your Hat and cheat on that for a while. :p

richmclean
07-19-2017, 03:05 PM
Some of Duke's players were in the top ten of their position: (team noted based on number of position per team)
Daniel Jones - 4th QB, 4th team
Shaun Wilson - 6thT RB, 3rd team
T.J. Rahming - 10th WR, 4th team
Daniel Helm - 5th TE, 5th team
Evan Lisle - 8thT OT, 4th team
Austin Davis - 3rd OC, 3rd team
Mike Ramsay - 10th DT, 5th team
Ben Humphreys - 9th LB, 3rd team
Bryon Fields Jr. - 7th CB, 4th team
Austin Parker - 8th P, 8th team
Shaun Wilson - 3rd RS, 3rd team

Other notes:
- Daniel Jones and Daniel Helm were 1 vote from moving up to a higher team.
- Alonzo Saxton II was 2 votes from top 10
- GT had 3 RBs receiving votes
- Clemson and FSU both had 2 WRs in top 9
- FSU had 2 OTs in top 6
- Clemson had 2 OGs in top 10
- FSU had 2 DEs in top 7
- Clemson had the top two DTs
- FSU had 3rd and 4th DTs
- Miami had 2 DTs in top 8
- FSU had 2 LBs in top 8
- VT had 2 CBs in top 6
- FSU had 3 Safeties in top 9

As expected FSU and Clemson had the deepest squads. While being shut out of the top 10 in OG, DE and S, Duke had 11 top 10 picks with 3 (Wilson, Davis and Humphries) on the 3rd team and 4 on the 4th team.

Dukelogger
07-19-2017, 03:10 PM
Are an improved kicking game and an experienced qb that should be much better at protecting the football.
If you look back at the WF, NW, and UVA games, some very costly DJ turnovers (WF and UVA, oof) and missed fg's were just blatantly the reason we lost. I was at all three games, and the silver lining was that you knew DJ was young and would get much better, and you knew that Cut would go recruit a PK and at least have solid competition for the spot headed into the fall of 2017. There was even a costly missed fg vs GT, a blocked fg returned for a td vs VT and a bad miss on what could've been a huge fg vs Louisville, but with those games it didnt seem to be almost squarely the reason we lost.
As a fan, I always play the shoulda-woulda game, and in Cut's tenure I tend to give us the benefit of the doubt in close games (rightfully so) but last year we had those two factors early in the year that were detrimental to so many critical drives in some close games, and those are two things I dont think I have to be optimistic about, because I fully expect them to improve (little more bullish on DJ's maturity and ball security than the kicking game, but Cut sent a message loud and clear in the offseason.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
07-19-2017, 05:38 PM
DevilInBlueDress should be a charter member as well. She and Bob leave the rest of us in their wake.

Count me in!

Thank you kid, Sir! Football and our stadium have long been important to my family. My father was a freshman who attended the first game on Oct. 5, 1929. He proposed to my mother at the Pitt game in 1938. I grew up slipping round the chain link fence which set the boundaries of the students section for years and continued sitting there for my undergraduate years. I have high expectations for Duke football!

Bob Green
07-19-2017, 07:04 PM

Thank you! I try to keep an even keel at all times. :cool:

T.J. Rahming has been named to the Biletnikoff Award Watch List:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211650405&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The award is given annually to the nation’s outstanding college receiver by the Tallahassee Quarterback Club Foundation. The selection marks Rahming’s first on a preseason watch list.

Gabe Brandner has been named to the Wuerffel Award Watch List:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211650608&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The award, known as “College Football’s Premier Award for Community Service,” is presented annually by the All Sports Association in Fort Walton Beach, Fla. Named after 1996 Heisman Trophy winning quarterback Danny Wuerffel from the University of Florida, the Wuerffel Trophy is awarded to the FBS player that best combines exemplary community service with athletic and academic achievement.

Daniel Jones has been named to the Davey O'Brien Watch List:

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22672&SPID=1843&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211651932&DB_OEM_ID=4200

The honor is presented annually to the nation’s top quarterback by the Davey O’Brien Foundation. The selection marks Jones’ first year on the preseason watch list.

jimsumner
07-20-2017, 01:11 PM
Shaun Wilson named to Doak Walker watch list.

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211653601&DB_OEM_ID=4200

Olympic Fan
07-20-2017, 03:34 PM
I had an interesting conversation with another guy who covers Duke football.

He shares my muted optimism for this year's team. It should revive the bowl streak and could win as many as 7-8-9 games, depending on the breaks.

But his point was that this year is just a stepping stone -- Duke will really take a step forward in 2018.

Looking at the roster, I see his point. Obviously, lots of things could change in a year -- this time last year, when though we would have to replace a two-year starter at QB with a relativey untested redshirt sophomore. An injury or a dismissal could change a lot.

Still, looking at the roster, I don't see many holes going forward. The only top skill player we'll have to replace is Shaun Wilson, but we'll have a ton of running backs competing for that spot. The only
WR we lose will be Quay Chambers. All he tight ends will be back. Of course, Daniel Jones will be back at QB.

There will be some work on the OL -- Lisle, Davis and Brandner graduate (as well as veteran backup Korona). But we have a bunch of talented youngsters who should be ready to play -- we have three four-star OL in the redshirt freshman class and that doesn't count Julian Santos, who will be starting as a true sohomore. Good chance that Kraeling, Miller and Smith will be ready to start as redshirt sophomores.

Defensively, we're trying to rebuild the DL this season with a bunch of talented kids. They'll only be better next year. The only senior in the rotation is Mike Ramsey. Xavier Carmichael is the only senior at LB and it's possible he won't be in the two-deep.

We lose Fields at corner and Saxton at safety, but a ton of promising young guys are back in the secondary.

Okay, Cut has to fix the kicking game this year to carry over into next year, but just two longshot candidates for the kicking job are seniors (walk-on Will Kline, and a fifth-year senior transfer from Tufts)

I think my friend is right -- as promising as this season is, next year should be even better. I just checked and the schedule is almost exactly the same (Army, Northwestern, Baylor, NCCU OOC; we replace FSU with Clemson for our Atlantic wild card).

NOTE: I had lunch with Gary Stokan, who runs the Peach Bowl and promotes games in Atlanta. We were taking about Daniel Jones and the chance he might go pro a year or two early. Stokan definitely wants to see Jones stick around, because he's got Duke and Alabama in Atlanta to open the 2019 season. Not so much a mismatch if Duke has a fifth-year senior NFL prospect at QB.

Bob Green
07-20-2017, 04:07 PM
He shares my muted optimism for this year's team. It should revive the bowl streak and could win as many as 7-8-9 games, depending on the breaks.

I agree with you and your friend. Cautious optimism is my choice term for 2017 because we need to see the youngsters convert potential into production on the field. There will certainly be a hick-up or two along the way but a return to post season action is certainly doable.

I think my friend is right -- as promising as this season is, next year should be even better. I just checked and the schedule is almost exactly the same (Army, Northwestern, Baylor, NCCU OOC; we replace FSU with Clemson for our Atlantic wild card).

I certainly desire to enjoy 2017 taking advantage of the whole "stop and smell the roses" thing; however, the possibilities for Duke football in 2018 and 2019 are certainly worth getting excited about.

Bob Green
07-20-2017, 06:11 PM
Duke football is giving me a birthday present:

Duke Football‏Verified account @DukeFOOTBALL 23h23 hours ago

Another sign 🔵😈🏈 is close to returning -- Meet the Blue Devils Day scheduled for August 19.

The grandson and I will be there! :cool:

jimsumner
07-20-2017, 07:43 PM
There's an old joke. Coach of rebuilding team tells fans "we have talented players and we have experienced players. The problem is, they aren't the same people."

Duke has that kind of team this season, a team with upperclassmen behind underclassmen.

A redshirt senior QB (Boehme) behind two redshirt sophs.

A redshirt junior QB (Pierre)converted to RB fighting to hold off two redshirt freshmen for backup carries.

A redshirt senior WR (Chambers) and redshirt junior WR (Lee) probably ranking 7th and 8th in the WR rotation.

Three upperclass OL reserves (Korona, Harris, McNeil) trying to hold off redshirt freshmen to make second team on the depth chart.

A senior linebacker (Carmichael) who played a lot as a true freshman who looks like he's going to be a third-team LB as a senior, behind a true sophomore and likely a redshirt freshman or two.

A redshirt junior corner (Muniz) behind a bunch of freshmen and sophs.

Some recruiting misses, some mis-evaluations, some injuries, some dismissals.

So, for Duke to be good this season, guys like Julian Santos and Scott Bracey and Tre Hornbuckle and Koby Quansah and Antone Williams and somebody who can make a field goal and a host of others are going to come up big.

Bob Green
07-20-2017, 08:06 PM
So, for Duke to be good this season, guys like Julian Santos and Scott Bracey and Tre Hornbuckle and Koby Quansah and Antone Williams and somebody who can make a field goal and a host of others are going to come up big.

Brandon Feamster. Brittain Brown.

peloton
07-20-2017, 08:20 PM

Thank you kind, Sir! Football and our stadium have long been important to my family. My father was a freshman who attended the first game on Oct. 5, 1929. He proposed to my mother at the Pitt game in 1938. I grew up slipping round the chain link fence which set the boundaries of the students section for years and continued sitting there for my undergraduate years. I have high expectations for Duke football!

Of course, there are many more (eternally) optimistic Duke football fans that post on DBR that either a) I couldn't remember...could be an age thing (okay, it's definitely an age thing), b) I haven't met yet at a pre-game tailgate, or c) I basically have no excuse whatsoever for not knowing they're supremely qualified to be in this "elite group" (such as Jim Sumner and KillerLeft...welcome to the club by the way).

But yes indeed OPK, Devil in the Blue Dress who I have met at a pre-football game social gathering (that makes it sound almost respectable :p) certainly deserves to be included in this group. A pox upon me for being so daft, DITBD!

DangerDevil
07-20-2017, 08:24 PM
Following Hugh Freeze's interesting departure, former Duke Offensive Coordinator Matt Luke named interim Head Coach at Ole Miss.

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/07/20/hugh-freeze-ole-miss-resigns-matt-luke-interim-head-coach

Merlindevildog91
07-20-2017, 08:27 PM
Matt Luke is the interim head coach, as Hugh Freeze resigns at Ole Miss. Allegedly his university-issued phone made a call to a number associated with an escort service.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ole-miss-coach-hugh-freeze-resigns-amid-explosive-new-information/

Think they miss Coach Cut now?

Indoor66
07-21-2017, 07:12 AM
Matt Luke is the interim head coach, as Hugh Freeze resigns at Ole Miss. Allegedly his university-issued phone made a call to a number associated with an escort service.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ole-miss-coach-hugh-freeze-resigns-amid-explosive-new-information/

Think they miss Coach Cut now?

Maybe it got too cold for Hugh?

OldPhiKap
07-21-2017, 07:22 AM

Press release photo of the old and new coach:

sagegrouse
07-21-2017, 08:50 AM

Yes, the suggested penalty by the Ole Miss brass was to take cold showers every evening.

Bob Green
07-25-2017, 04:32 PM
My season tickets arrived today! :D Now I am going to start counting the days.

chrishoke
07-25-2017, 04:46 PM

Must rush home!

budwom
07-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Mine are always late, I think the Duke dirigible has trouble navigating hilly regions. I'm always amazed by how much crap they cram in the package.

Bob Green
07-25-2017, 05:26 PM
Mine are always late

Shipping priority is based on how long you have been a season ticket holder, oh wait...never mind! :rolleyes:

devildeac
07-25-2017, 08:38 PM
Mine are always late, I think the Duke dirigible has trouble navigating hilly regions. I'm always amazed by how much crap they cram in the package.

If only you had won the contest to have a Duke football rep deliver to your tree house personally...

;)

chrishoke
07-26-2017, 08:10 AM

My Duke flag wrapped tics were waiting for my when I got home.

budwom
07-26-2017, 03:20 PM
If only you had won the contest to have a Duke football rep deliver to your tree house personally...

;)

Dirigible just dropped them off....threw 90% of the junk out, but I do look forward to the fashionable Upper East Side...

Olympic Fan
07-26-2017, 04:04 PM
Bob, do you or anybody else know what the placekicking competition looks like?

I admit, I am confused. Let me sum up what I know.

Last spring, Coach Cut had an open competition for the kicking jobs (FGs, EPs, KOs).

Punter Austin Parker emerged as the No. 1 placekicker ahead of 2016 starter AJ Reed. Will Kline (who did some kickoffs last year) was third. Never-used walkons Colin Wareham and Tim Skapek are listed 4th and 5th team.

But Cutcliffe said in Charlotte early in July that the competition will continue when camp opens (this coming Monday). I know that he will bring in three recruited (or preferred) walk-on kickers. If one wins the job, he'll go on scholarship.

The only one listed in the brochure is Jake Driggers, a 5-11, 170-poinder from Leon High in Jacksonville, Fla.

I'm told that he's the favorite to win the job.

But there is also a kid named Jackson Hubbard from Dallas, Tx. I know that he's 6-4, 190, but that's it.

It's the third newcomer hat interests me. I was told that he is a grad transfer from Tufts.

Is it Willie Holmquist?

Holmquist was listed as a senior kicker at Tufts last year, but he's actually a redshirt junior (he missed a year with health problems). He was the best kicker in that conference - hitting 8 of 11 field goals, including four over 40 yards (48, 46, 45, 41). As a junior, he kicked a game-winner in OT to beat Hamilton. He also hit 28 of 31 extra point tries. Now, I wouldn't get excited about Division III stats for a runner, a receiver a LB or a QB, but a kicker is a kicker, right?

The only thing is, I can't find any confirmation that Holmquist is "the kid from Tufts" that I was told about. Heck, it might be his backup that is transferring.

Does anybody else know if Holmquist is coming? I know the coaches like Driggers, but if it's Holmquist, this kid has college experience (kicking off the grass) and I like that.

But I repeat -- I don't have any evidence that Holmquist is coming, just the vague reference to a grad transfer from Tufts.

Bob Green
07-26-2017, 05:07 PM

Is it Willie Holmquist?

Holmquist was listed as a senior kicker at Tufts last year, but he's actually a redshirt junior (he missed a year with health problems). He was the best kicker in that conference - hitting 8 of 11 field goals, including four over 40 yards (48, 46, 45, 41). As a junior, he kicked a game-winner in OT to beat Hamilton. He also hit 28 of 31 extra point tries. Now, I wouldn't get excited about Division III stats for a runner, a receiver a LB or a QB, but a kicker is a kicker, right?

The only thing is, I can't find any confirmation that Holmquist is "the kid from Tufts" that I was told about. Heck, it might be his backup that is transferring.

Does anybody else know if Holmquist is coming? I know the coaches like Driggers, but if it's Holmquist, this kid has college experience (kicking off the grass) and I like that.

But I repeat -- I don't have any evidence that Holmquist is coming, just the vague reference to a grad transfer from Tufts.

I don't know but this message board:

http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;sa=message s;u=47616

has this post from May 10, 2017:

Hot off the presses:

Word on the street is that Tufts Kicker Willie Holmquist is attending Duke Business School next year, and will be kicking for the Blue Devils. (Willie has a year of eligibility left, as he was injured his sophomore year).

Shades of Steven Hauschka... Good luck to Willie!

Devil549
07-30-2017, 11:57 AM
I am ready for some football !!!!

Does anybody know did Zach Morris a DT leave/transfer?

2018 recruiting is going well or so it seems... do we have another big recruit on the horizon?

Also IMO as we get more 4 star recruits look for more to play as true freshmen....I hope we are at the place with the program where true freshmen play because they are READY not because we lack depth at a position.

budwom
07-30-2017, 12:33 PM
I am ready for some football !!!!

Does anybody know did Zach Morris a DT leave/transfer?

2018 recruiting is going well or so it seems... do we have another big recruit on the horizon?

Also IMO as we get more 4 star recruits look for more to play as true freshmen...I hope we are at the place with the program where true freshmen play because they are READY not because we lack depth at a position.

I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that injuries got the better of Morris. You can get on the Devils Den or other sites and find recruits in their data base....

Olympic Fan
07-30-2017, 01:28 PM
I'm pretty sure (not 100%) that injuries got the better of Morris. You can get on the Devils Den or other sites and find recruits in their data base...

Morris is not listed in the 2017 Duke Football Brochure

IsInTheDetails
07-30-2017, 07:37 PM
Morris is not listed in the 2017 Duke Football Brochure

He's listed as an undergrad assistant, along with Tariq Shabazz. Injuries got the better of both of them, unfortunately. Great to see them remain an active part of the program.

Olympic Fan
07-30-2017, 08:34 PM
First practice, tomorrow (Monday) morning ... we'll get a firm idea then what the roster looks like ... who's healthy and who's hurting

OldPhiKap
07-31-2017, 07:18 AM
Nice article on the front page today. This could be a fun year. Let's Go Duke!!!

chrishoke
07-31-2017, 09:58 AM

I admit, I am confused. Let me sum up what I know.

Last spring, Coach Cut had an open competition for the kicking jobs (FGs, EPs, KOs).

Punter Austin Parker emerged as the No. 1 placekicker ahead of 2016 starter AJ Reed. Will Kline (who did some kickoffs last year) was third. Never-used walkons Colin Wareham and Tim Skapek are listed 4th and 5th team.

But Cutcliffe said in Charlotte early in July that the competition will continue when camp opens (this coming Monday). I know that he will bring in three recruited (or preferred) walk-on kickers. If one wins the job, he'll go on scholarship.

The only one listed in the brochure is Jake Driggers, a 5-11, 170-poinder from Leon High in Jacksonville, Fla.

I'm told that he's the favorite to win the job.

But there is also a kid named Jackson Hubbard from Dallas, Tx. I know that he's 6-4, 190, but that's it.

It's the third newcomer hat interests me. I was told that he is a grad transfer from Tufts.

Is it Willie Holmquist?

6 replies 41 retweets 263 likes
Reply 6 Retweet 41 Like 263 Direct message
Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC 3h3 hours ago
More
New entrant in Duke kicking derby: Willie Holmquist. Kicked at D3 Tufts U. Here as walk-on grad transfer. Fuqua student.
0 replies 1 retweet 4 likes
Reply Retweet 1 Like 4 Direct message

jimsumner
07-31-2017, 11:19 AM
DE Chidi Okonya held out of practice today. Foot injury. LB Brandon Hill suffered unknown injury today.

Everybody else healthy, including Gabe Brandner, Scott Bracey and Keyston Fuller.

Austin Parker leading wide-open race for PK. Cut says he's very comfortable with Parker punting and place-kicking should it come to that. Long snapper, holder, punt return all TBD.

Hearing good things about RB Nico Pierre, finally figuring it out after moving from QB. Might be in the rotation this year,

Shaun Wilson and Mike Ramsey came in for special kudos from Cut today.

OldPhiKap
07-31-2017, 01:32 PM
DE Chidi Okonya held out of practice today. Foot injury. LB Brandon Hill suffered unknown injury today.

Everybody else healthy, including Gabe Brandner, Scott Bracey and Keyston Fuller.

Austin Parker leading wide-open race for PK. Cut says he's very comfortable with Parker punting and place-kicking should it come to that. Long snapper, holder, punt return all TBD.

Hearing good things about RB Nico Pierre, finally figuring it out after moving from QB. Might be in the rotation this year,

Thanks!

I continue to believe that, beyond health of Daniel Jones, the biggest decider of whether we bowl this season or not is the kicking game. There is some youth in the defense, but we have talent and really good coaching. O-line looks good. Skill positions look good, and a break-out deep threat would really add a lot. We have several folks who could do well on kick and punt returns.

But if we can't flip the field on punts, or count on mid-range field goals, we're gonna struggle.

Olympic Fan
07-31-2017, 04:13 PM
Thanks!

I continue to believe that, beyond health of Daniel Jones, the biggest decider of whether we bowl this season or not is the kicking game. There is some youth in the defense, but we have talent and really good coaching. O-line looks good. Skill positions look good, and a break-out deep threat would really add a lot. We have several folks who could do well on kick and punt returns.

But if we can't flip the field on punts, or count on mid-range field goals, we're gonna struggle.

Actually, Parker was doing a good job punting until he broke his clavicle in the Louisville game (although he did have a few issues catching the snap early). But his net punting numbers were excellent. He averaged 40.9 yards a kick with just two touchbacks and 13 kicks downed inside the 20 Out of 38 kicks.

On the other hand, we went from 26 field goals in 2015 to three in 2016. That's an average difference of more than five points a game. The inability to convert a medium-range field goal had a big impact on several early games (Wake, Virginia, Northwestern and Georgia Tech and Louisville late) and, of course, the blocked field goal returned for a TD was the difference in a 3-point loss to Virginia Tech.

With even average placekicking, Duke is in a bowl last season ... going into this season, I feel like saying the same thing -- even average placekicking (and, as OPK says, a healthy Daniel Jones) and we'll be back in the bowl picture.

Avvocato
07-31-2017, 06:00 PM
Actually, Parker was doing a good job punting until he broke his clavicle in the Louisville game (although he did have a few issues catching the snap early). But his net punting numbers were excellent. He averaged 40.9 yards a kick with just two touchbacks and 13 kicks downed inside the 20 Out of 38 kicks.

On the other hand, we went from 26 field goals in 2015 to three in 2016. That's an average difference of more than five points a game. The inability to convert a medium-range field goal had a big impact on several early games (Wake, Virginia, Northwestern and Georgia Tech and Louisville late) and, of course, the blocked field goal returned for a TD was the difference in a 3-point loss to Virginia Tech.

With even average placekicking, Duke is in a bowl last season ... going into this season, I feel like saying the same thing -- even average placekicking (and, as OPK says, a healthy Daniel Jones) and we'll be back in the bowl picture.

THREE field goals. That's unbelievable that a Power 5 team can't make more than three field goals. Well said by you and OKP. Amazing that I'm just praying we can make 35-yarders (let alone 30-yarders). So excited that practice has started and the season is weeks away.

Thanks to you and Jim (and others) for the updates.

Acymetric
08-01-2017, 03:50 AM

Not to mention the impact on the gameplan once we gave up on field goal kicking...

devildeac
08-01-2017, 07:15 AM
A couple nice articles from the Raleigh N&O this AM:

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/duke-now/article164618012.html

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/luke-decock/article164560477.html

budwom
08-01-2017, 08:33 AM
Unique year. Duke has tons of young, unproven talent, arguably some of our best ever....I have no idea how these guys will do, and the kicking game certainly is highly unpredictable.

Bob Green
08-01-2017, 04:08 PM

I am looking forward to seeing the running game this year as I am cautiously optimistic it will be more productive and it needs to be especially on 1st down. There are several guys worth being excited about such as Wilson, Brittain Brown and the two true freshmen Deon Jackson and Marvin Hubbard so if Pierre seriously competes for rotation time our depth will be more than solid.

Improvement in converting field goals is an absolute must for both points production and offensive strategy.

Bob Green
08-01-2017, 04:22 PM
Here is a link (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211658488&DB_OEM_ID=4200) to an excellent article at GoDuke.com by Al Featherston. The money quote is provided by senior starting center Austin Davis:

December was painful,” Davis said. “It was painful to watch [bowl games on TV] and see teams that we may have beaten or we could have beaten. Now it’s a fire that motivates all of us.

“We don’t plan on sitting home in December again.”

Dukelogger
08-01-2017, 05:21 PM
This is a perfect scenario, with experience filling the starting roles but young talented players providing competition, quality depth as the year progresses, and the future of protecting DJ. Bodes really well for DJ and Shaun Wilson. He wont go down in Duke fb history as the best blocking rb and he's not the biggest guy, but hes going to put up huge numbers if he gets holes oening up for him and if he's able to slip out of the backfield and make plays in the passing game.

One common denominator since Cut has taken Duke to this era has been a productive TE. The ACCCG year I cant remember how many drives were extended on 3rd and long with Boone finding a TE in coverage across the middle. DJ has the size and accuracy to really pick teams apart with a weapon at TE. I assume Helm is TE1?

Thanks for linking the article, has me fired up!!

rtnorthrup
08-02-2017, 09:10 AM
Any reports on where the True FR are playing?

I assume Deon Jackson and Marvin Hubbard are with the RBs. What about Josh Blackwell? Is he a DB? Is Marquis Waters a CB or S?

Or is it too early to tell?

Olympic Fan
08-02-2017, 10:17 AM
Any reports on where the True FR are playing?

I assume Deon Jackson and Marvin Hubbard are with the RBs. What about Josh Blackwell? Is he a DB? Is Marquis Waters a CB or S?

Or is it too early to tell?

(1) Jackson and Hubbard were definitely working out with the RBs in Monday's practice

(2) Didn't notice Blackwell and Waters, but in the roster handed out Monday, Blackwell is a CB and Waters is a S. Of course, in the Duke system, lots of guys move from S to CB and vice versa -- sometimes in the same game.

A few other freshmen (based on listing in the updated roster); Leonard Johnson and Lummie Young are safeties; Michael Carter is a cornerback; Will Taylor is at C; Patrick Leitton is at OT; Rakavius Chambers is at OG; Jacob Rimmer is at OT ...

rtnorthrup
08-02-2017, 10:56 AM
(1) Jackson and Hubbard were definitely working out with the RBs in Monday's practice

(2) Didn't notice Blackwell and Waters, but in the roster handed out Monday, Blackwell is a CB and Waters is a S. Of course, in the Duke system, lots of guys move from S to CB and vice versa -- sometimes in the same game.

A few other freshmen (based on listing in the updated roster); Leonard Johnson and Lummie Young are safeties; Michael Carter is a cornerback; Will Taylor is at C; Patrick Leitton is at OT; Rakavius Chambers is at OG; Jacob Rimmer is at OT ...

Thanks. I actually thought there was a chance that Leonard Johnson could end up at WR. I think he redshirts this year, so anything is possible in the future. Agree with you on the CB-S position, at least in our scheme. I really think Blackwell and Waters have a chance to be really good. Not sure about the Gilbert situation, but I think both of them could get playing time this season.

Olympic Fan
08-02-2017, 11:19 AM
Thanks. I actually thought there was a chance that Leonard Johnson could end up at WR. I think he redshirts this year, so anything is possible in the future. Agree with you on the CB-S position, at least in our scheme. I really think Blackwell and Waters have a chance to be really good. Not sure about the Gilbert situation, but I think both of them could get playing time this season.

I know there are a lot of questions about Gilbert''s physical condition. All I can say is that he practiced Monday. Can't swear that he was 100 percent (or close to it), but that's a good sign.

budwom
08-02-2017, 12:35 PM

Might you be thinking of WR Damond Johnson, also a freshman, and a very fleet one at that?.

As for Gilbert, he's suspended for a bit, it's not an injury situation that I know of...

Olympic Fan
08-02-2017, 02:48 PM
Might you be thinking of WR Damond Johnson, also a freshman, and a very fleet one at that?

The wide receiver is now going by the name Damond Philyaw-Johnson. He is indeed very fleet (reputedly a 4.3 40), but from what I hear, he's likely to redshirt this season.

rtnorthrup
08-02-2017, 03:05 PM
Might you be thinking of WR Damond Johnson, also a freshman, and a very fleet one at that?.

As for Gilbert, he's suspended for a bit, it's not an injury situation that I know of...

No, I know Damond Johnson is a WR out of the Pensacola, FL area. Leonard Johnson is a recruit out of Alabama (small town) who played WR and CB in High School. Just looking at the numbers and who we lose after this season, I thought Leonard might end up at WR, but i guess not.

Olympic Fan
08-02-2017, 03:21 PM
No, I know Damond Johnson is a WR out of the Pensacola, FL area. Leonard Johnson is a recruit out of Alabama (small town) who played WR and CB in High School. Just looking at the numbers and who we lose after this season, I thought Leonard might end up at WR, but i guess not.

Well, considering that the only receiver we lose after this season in Quay Chambers, while we add Philyaw-Johnson (probably a redshirt freshman), plus 2018 recruits Jake Bobo, Dennis Smith and Jarett Garner, I don't think there is any pressing need for WRs next season.

luvdahops
08-02-2017, 05:05 PM
This is a perfect scenario, with experience filling the starting roles but young talented players providing competition, quality depth as the year progresses, and the future of protecting DJ. Bodes really well for DJ and Shaun Wilson. He wont go down in Duke fb history as the best blocking rb and he's not the biggest guy, but hes going to put up huge numbers if he gets holes oening up for him and if he's able to slip out of the backfield and make plays in the passing game.

One common denominator since Cut has taken Duke to this era has been a productive TE. The ACCCG year I cant remember how many drives were extended on 3rd and long with Boone finding a TE in coverage across the middle. DJ has the size and accuracy to really pick teams apart with a weapon at TE. I assume Helm is TE1?

Thanks for linking the article, has me fired up!!

As a Chicagoan, I'll be interested to see if true freshman Jake Marwede sees game action this year. While only a 3 star recruit, he had offers from multiple Power 5 schools, and is generally seen as one of gems of Cut's 2017 class.

Bob Green
08-02-2017, 05:14 PM
As a Chicagoan, I'll be interested to see if true freshman Jake Marwede sees game action this year. While only a 3 star recruit, he had offers from multiple Power 5 schools, and is generally seen as one of gems of Cut's 2017 class.

Jake Marwede was a 4 star recruit per ESPN. He was number 188 on the ESPN300 listing. His issue with playing time will be having experienced redshirt juniors Daniel Helm and Davis Koppenhaver ahead of him in the rotation. Marwede will need to beat out redshirt freshman Mark Birmingham for rotation spot number three. Birmingham was a 4 star recruit per ESPN and Scout. He was number 295 on the ESPN300 listing and number 214 on the Scout300 listing. Duke is deep at tight end.

luvdahops
08-02-2017, 05:34 PM
Jake Marwede was a 4 star recruit per ESPN. He was number 188 on the ESPN300 listing. His issue with playing time will be having experienced redshirt juniors Daniel Helm and Davis Koppenhaver ahead of him in the rotation. Marwede will need to beat out redshirt freshman Mark Birmingham for rotation spot number three. Birmingham was a 4 star recruit per ESPN and Scout. He was number 295 on the ESPN300 listing and number 214 on the Scout300 listing. Duke is deep at tight end.

Thanks Bob. That all makes sense. Marwede was the top player for Loyola Academy, a perennial powerhouse program and state title contender here in Illinois. And not a big feeder to the Duke program historically (though plenty of Loyola grads generally do find their way to Durham). By all accounts, Marwede is a terrific all-around athlete, and someone that could wind up being a really nice weapon in our system over time.

Bob Green
08-02-2017, 06:40 PM
By all accounts, Marwede is a terrific all-around athlete, and someone that could wind up being a really nice weapon in our system over time.

I agree with you 100 percent and I am not dismissing his chances to play as a true freshman. If he is good enough, he will play. All I am saying is he has experienced talent in front of him on the depth chart. Who plays or doesn't play come September 2nd is still up in the air.

Olympic Fan
08-02-2017, 10:11 PM
I agree with you 100 percent and I am not dismissing his chances to play as a true freshman. If he is good enough, he will play. All I am saying is he has experienced talent in front of him on the depth chart. Who plays or doesn't play come September 2nd is still up in the air.

On paper, Birmingham is every bit the prospect that Marwede is. On the whole I think Birmingham was better rated (although ESPN might have Marwede as slightly higher).

Plus, he's had a year to mature and learn the system. He was GREAT over the last half of spring practice.

It's going to b tough for Marwede to play as a freshman -- unless at least one of Helm, Koppenhaver or Birmingham is hurt.

Next year, the tight end competition is going to be brutal -- all three of Helm, Koppenhaver and Bimringham return. Marwede should be pushing to play at that point and Noah Gray -- rated the No. 70 athlete in the country -- will also be in the mix. know the coaches love his potential.

That doesn't count Zamari Ellis, a 6-4, 245-poind three star in the Class of 2018.

We are going to be insanely deep at TE ...

johnb
08-03-2017, 09:06 AM
This sort of reference has been old news for a while, but I continue to be impressed by the football company we now keep.

This is an article about how Arizona messed up its recruiting of Sam Darnold. Key sentence:

"Arizona was one of the first schools recruiting Darnold, who didn’t start filling up his offer sheet until May of 2014 when he landed offers from Tennessee, Duke, Stanford, Oregon and USC. He then committed to the Trojans just before his senior season."

https://www.azdesertswarm.com/football/2017/8/2/16048176/arizona-wildcats-football-sam-darnold-recruiting-visit-weird-wrist-throwing-motion-usc-heisman-nfl

johnb
08-03-2017, 09:08 AM
On paper, Birmingham is every bit the prospect that Marwede is. On the whole I think Birmingham was better rated (although ESPN might have Marwede as slightly higher).

Plus, he's had a year to mature and learn the system. He was GREAT over the last half of spring practice.

It's going to b tough for Marwede to play as a freshman -- unless at least one of Helm, Koppenhaver or Birmingham is hurt.

Next year, the tight end competition is going to be brutal -- all three of Helm, Koppenhaver and Bimringham return. Marwede should be pushing to play at that point and Noah Gray -- rated the No. 70 athlete in the country -- will also be in the mix. know the coaches love his potential.

That doesn't count Zamari Ellis, a 6-4, 245-poind three star in the Class of 2018.

An article on 2 TE sets:

http://strongfootballcoach.com/offensive-football/creating-big-plays-two-tight-end-formations/

OldPhiKap
08-03-2017, 09:18 AM
As Braxton Deaver and others showed, Cut knows how to utilize the tight ends. It is a very deceptive position that allows for great flexibility, especially in those common 3rd and short situations.

I am really starting to geek about the season. Please, may we have health and a kicking game!

luvdahops
08-03-2017, 10:15 AM

It's a high class problem for sure! Especially given Cut's track record and creativity in utilizing tight ends.

Dukelogger
08-03-2017, 10:32 AM
As Braxton Deaver and others showed, Cut knows how to utilize the tight ends.

Makes a huge difference. Its definitely not a coincidence that these young, highly ranked and highly recruited TE's are coming into the program to a spot already very deep. Could've started for so many power 5 schools, but an education from Duke U and a chance to be coached up by Cut was just too much to pass up.

OK, I'm officially ready to get this season started. Spot. The. Dang. Ball!!!!!!!!

Olympic Fan
08-03-2017, 01:46 PM
The first Coaches Poll was released today.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

Looking at it strictly from a Duke perspective, 69 teams got votes -- but not Duke. I guess that's a result of Steve Spurrier not voting any more.

Duke will play eight teams that got votes:

3. Florida State
18. Miami
22. Virginia Tech
40. Pitt
43. Northwestern
50. Georgia Tech
56. UNC
64. Army

Interesting that Army got votes, but Baylor didn't. Neither did Wake Forest, Virginia or NC Central (IMO, our only certain win; on the other hand, I would accept that FSU was our one almost certain loss ... everything else is up for grabs).

Dukelogger
08-03-2017, 02:52 PM
I think Pitt might surprise some people this year. Remember they beat Clemson and Penn State and lost several close road games that arguably they outplayed the opponent (at least that Okie State game comes to mind.)

In looking over our schedule and breaking it down into three 4 game pods, I'm optimistic we can go 3-1, 2-2, 3-1. And if I had to pick who to lose to, losses to Baylor, FSU, Miami, and @VT. Then get paired with Stanford and beat them in the bowl game. Get an upperhand on recruiting battles with Northwestern and Stanford, keep the victory bell, and start the massive hype train for 2018 season. I could live with that.

luvdahops
08-03-2017, 03:45 PM
I think Pitt might surprise some people this year. Remember they beat Clemson and Penn State and lost several close road games that arguably they outplayed the opponent (at least that Okie State game comes to mind.)

In looking over our schedule and breaking it down into three 4 game pods, I'm optimistic we can go 3-1, 2-2, 3-1. And if I had to pick who to lose to, losses to Baylor, FSU, Miami, and @VT. Then get paired with Stanford and beat them in the bowl game. Get an upperhand on recruiting battles with Northwestern and Stanford, keep the victory bell, and start the massive hype train for 2018 season. I could live with that.

QB Nathan Peterman and RB James Conner were huge losses for Pitt. They also got Penn State last year before that team had really gelled. Worth noting that Southern Cal grad transfer Max Browne, who was overtaken at QB there by Sam Darnold last year after backing up Cody Kessler for 3 seasons, has apparently underwhelmed so far and been unable to secure the starting job. So I would expect the Pitt offense to be down, perhaps significantly, from a year ago. That said, Narduzzi is a formidable coach, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

Dukelogger
08-03-2017, 04:39 PM
Absolutely cannot put a number on loss of Conner, he was a darn good rb and clearly emotional leader of that program. However, I've read that Pitts RB depth is solid, and like you I think Narduzzi will once again put a stout defense on the field. And as good as Peterman was if you look at his career trajectory he looks like he might be more of a beneficiary of good coaching / play calling and a solid arsenal around him. He shuffle passed Clemson to death last year. I don't have any allegiance whatsoever to Pitt and quite honestly would love to see them take a step back but thats just my gut.

No clue what to expect from Baylor, but they have two cupcake games at home before their trip to Durham. Our game vs Northwestern is far more significant, IMO because we recruit head-to-head so often with them. If we're 3-1 coming off a road win vs the billy goats I could dig it. Would be a great atmosphere for that Friday night game Ill be tailgating hours in advance for (although I have to start in the WaDu parking lot I guess assuming lots aren't opening until afternoon?)

Bob Green
08-03-2017, 04:57 PM
Interesting that Army got votes, but Baylor didn't. Neither did Wake Forest, Virginia or NC Central (IMO, our only certain win; on the other hand, I would accept that FSU was our one almost certain loss ... everything else is up for grabs).

Oly, what are your thoughts on UNC at 56? I'm assuming their defense will be improved but they lost an incredible amount of talent on offense...something like 90% of points scored last season were scored by players no longer on the roster.

Northwestern in Week 2 is going to be a tough game. They return a quality quarterback and dynamic running back. Justin Jackson is projected as one of the top running backs in the nation:

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/20226897/sportsnation-best-running-backs-college-football

Avvocato
08-03-2017, 05:19 PM
The first Coaches Poll was released today.

http://sportspolls.usatoday.com/ncaa/football/polls/coaches-poll/

Looking at it strictly from a Duke perspective, 69 teams got votes -- but not Duke. I guess that's a result of Steve Spurrier not voting any more.

Duke will play eight teams that got votes:

3. Florida State
5. Clemson
18. Miami
22. Virginia Tech
40. Pitt
43. Northwestern
50. Georgia Tech
56. UNC
64. Army

Didn't want to overlook the defending National Champions at #5.

Avvocato
08-03-2017, 05:27 PM
Oly, what are your thoughts on UNC at 56? I'm assuming their defense will be improved but they lost an incredible amount of talent on offense...something like 90% of points scored last season were scored by players no longer on the roster.

Northwestern in Week 2 is going to be a tough game. They return a quality quarterback and dynamic running back. Justin Jackson is projected as one of the top running backs in the nation:

http://www.espn.com/sportsnation/story/_/id/20226897/sportsnation-best-running-backs-college-football

Like others, I think the Northwestern game is one of the biggest games of the year for us. I think that game will set a tone. Of the times I have seen Northwestern, I never thought of Thorsen as a good quarterback. Then you look at his numbers last year and they're better than I thought. I just always thought of him as inconsistent. He is a 3-year starter as a junior, and you would expect him to get better. I agree that Jackson is a beast and will be the key. I think it's about time we finally beat these guys. I think we're due. Let's go Duke.

P.S.

It will be interesting to see former Duke recruit Flynn Nagel that game.

devildeac
08-03-2017, 07:38 PM
Didn't want to overlook the defending National Champions at #5.

We don't play Clemson this year, unless of course you mean in the ACC championship game. ;)

Avvocato
08-03-2017, 08:23 PM
We don't play Clemson this year, unless of course you mean in the ACC championship game. ;)

Um, of course that's what I meant.

Or, it's why I shouldn't try to read and post quickly at work. My bad. But I like your reasoning better.

devildeac
08-03-2017, 08:34 PM
Um, of course that's what I meant.

Or, it's why I shouldn't try to read and post quickly at work. My bad. But I like your reasoning better.

I'm here to serve. And entertain, however infrequent that may be. :o