PDA

View Full Version : ESPN to drop 100 on air personalities

Pages : [1] 2 3

nmduke2001
04-26-2017, 10:53 AM
More than twice what was first reported. I wonder if any of "our" guys will get the pink slip.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/espn-will-cut-100-air-personalities-today-123057142.html

kAzE
04-26-2017, 10:58 AM
Dana O'Neil is gone! :cool:

Atlanta Duke
04-26-2017, 11:06 AM
More than twice what was first reported. I wonder if any of "our" guys will get the pink slip.

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/espn-will-cut-100-air-personalities-today-123057142.html

I would be stunned if the two Jays did not stay - Seth Greenberg maybe not so much

Running list of announced layoffs with this link

http://deadspin.com/a-running-list-of-espn-layoffs-1794664091

duke74
04-26-2017, 11:08 AM
You reap what you sow.

Karl Beem
04-26-2017, 11:15 AM

ESPN not mentioned on page linked.

kAzE
04-26-2017, 11:15 AM
Here's a list of confirmed lay-offs thus far:

Ed Werder
John Buccigross
Dana O'Neil
Pierre LeBrun
Scott Burnside
Joe McDonald
Austin Ward
Brendan Fitzgerald
Paul Kuharsky

These people will stay on, but have their roles "significantly reduced":

Karl Ravitch
Ryen Russillo
Hannah Storm

SlapTheFloor
04-26-2017, 11:17 AM
I have a list if ESPN would like to cheat off me. Seth is definitely near the top. Stephen A Smith would be up there as well.

nmduke2001
04-26-2017, 11:22 AM
Here's a list of confirmed lay-offs thus far:

Ed Werder
John Buccigross
Dana O'Neil
Pierre LeBrun
Scott Burnside
Joe McDonald
Austin Ward
Brendan Fitzgerald
Paul Kuharsky

These people will stay on, but have their roles "significantly reduced":

Karl Ravitch
Ryen Russillo
Hannah Storm

Werder and Buccigross really surprise me.

I listen to A LOT of ESPN radio. I really like Le Batard, though I understand why many don't. I don't get Russillo at all. He's so self-involved. I usually turn it off. I did have the misfortune of listening one day where he said, "the very first time I saw Grayson Allen in high school, I wanted to punch him in the face." That's just a strange thing for a grown man to say about a teenager. Why would you want to punch someone without knowing anything about them? Let's just say, I'm not terribly sorry that his role is reducing. Hopefully Bomani takes his time slot.

I would guess that Mike Golic's role will be reduced as well. It's already been confirmed that Greeny is leaving Mike and Mike to do a morning "talk show" on ESPN. Not sure that leaves a place for Golic.

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2017, 11:25 AM
Dana O'Neil is gone! :cool:

So excited by this.

Owen Meany
04-26-2017, 11:27 AM
Honestly didn't realize there were that many on air personalities at ESPN.hate for anyone to lose their job. Except for the lady who said someone needed to knock Grayson Allen out.

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2017, 11:28 AM
Honestly didn't realize there were that many on air personalities at ESPN.hate for anyone to lose their job. Except for the lady who said someone needed to knock Grayson Allen out.

Or the lady who started the hate for Grayson Allen.

devildeac
04-26-2017, 11:28 AM
I have a list if ESPN would like to cheat off me. Seth is definitely near the top. Stephen A Smith would be up there as well.

I'm available to for some suggestions...

kAzE
04-26-2017, 11:29 AM

That would be Michelle Beadle, who is #1 on my remaining wishlist. Uncle Fester has no idea what he's talking about most of the time, but he's harmless. Anybody who advocates for violence against college kids needs to be taken off the air.

Dukehky
04-26-2017, 11:29 AM
Werder and Buccigross really surprise me.

I listen to A LOT of ESPN radio. I really like Le Batard, though I understand why many don't. I don't get Russillo at all. He's so self-involved. I usually turn it off. I did have the misfortune of listening one day where he said, "the very first time I saw Grayson Allen in high school, I wanted to punch him in the face." That's just a strange thing for a grown man to say about a teenager. Why would you want to punch someone without knowing anything about them? Let's just say, I'm not terribly sorry that his role is reducing. Hopefully Bomani takes his time slot.

I would guess that Mike Golic's role will be reduced as well. It's already been confirmed that Greeny is leaving Mike and Mike to do a morning "talk show" on ESPN. Not sure that leaves a place for Golic.

I think you misheard, he was always like, yeah Grayson is annoying, but you want him suspended for 5 games for that? Get out of here. Russillo is BY FAR the best guy on the radio. He doesn't do hot takes, he's not stupid, he's really plugged into the NBA. I think his snark is funny, but I'm definitely in his target demographic. Kannell, on the other hand, is horrible.

Atlanta Duke
04-26-2017, 11:31 AM

That "journalist" was promoted to anchor NBA Countdown after her comments about Grayson Allen - Michelle Beadle is not going away

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/04/05/sage-steele-michelle-beadle-espn/100063726/

kAzE
04-26-2017, 11:34 AM
I think you misheard, he was always like, yeah Grayson is annoying, but you want him suspended for 5 games for that? Get out of here. Russillo is BY FAR the best guy on the radio. He doesn't do hot takes, he's not stupid, he's really plugged into the NBA. I think his snark is funny, but I'm definitely in his target demographic. Kannell, on the other hand, is horrible.

100% agreed. Love Russillo, but Kanell drives me nuts, and killed that radio show for me. I miss SVP & Russillo. That was the best daily sports podcast . . .

Occasionally, Russillo does solo NBA podcasts, which are actually quite good. Hopefully, Kannell gets the axe . . .

nmduke2001
04-26-2017, 11:35 AM

I'm positive that I didn't mishear him. I remember thinking how strange it was for a grown man to admit that he wanted to punch a teenager. Maybe it's the mix of Kannell and Russillo, but I really dislike that show.

kAzE
04-26-2017, 11:36 AM
That "journalist" was promoted to anchor NBA Countdown after her comments about Grayson Allen - Michelle Beadle is not going away

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nba/2017/04/05/sage-steele-michelle-beadle-espn/100063726/

Wow . . . Sage Steele out and Beadle gets to stay? What kind of f'ed up logic is that? Must have been money related . . .

Billy Dat
04-26-2017, 11:36 AM

I also like Russillo. He has cultivated kind of a cocky d-head persona, which I think is close to his actual personality BUT I think he really knows his stuff and is usually very fair. I think he could see the writing on the wall because he gave an extremely honest and ESPN-critical podcast interview to SI media critic Richard Deitsch a few months ago...well worth checking out:

https://player.fm/series/si-media-podcast-with-richard-deitsch-1291251/espn-radios-ryen-russillo

Troublemaker
04-26-2017, 11:38 AM
I know I should already know this, and I'm sure it's been discussed on DBR before, but this is basically the result of cord-cutters, right?

If a bunch of personalities I don't like end up getting chopped, I might have to look into this cord-cutting myself. Do my part and pitch in, you know?

Billy Dat
04-26-2017, 11:40 AM
Wow . . . Sage Steele out and Beadle gets to stay? What kind of f'ed up logic is that? Must have been money related . . .

ESPN wants hot takes, no matter the content, and what's hotter than saying someone should punch someone else? As for Steele, looks like they actually have big plans for her...for now

http://nypost.com/2017/04/17/sage-steele-seems-to-emerge-unscathed-from-espn-shakeup/

kAzE
04-26-2017, 11:40 AM
I know I should already know this, and I'm sure it's been discussed on DBR before, but this is basically the result of cord-cutters, right?

If a bunch of personalities I don't like end up getting cut, I might have to look into this cord-cutting. Do my part and pitch in, you know?

Partly, but the main reason is a huge increase in the cost of broadcast rights for major sports leagues. ESPN has to pay the NFL/NBA/MLB etc. for the right to broadcast their games, and these fees have grown dramatically over the past 2 years. Remember the source of the huge salary cap increase in the NBA? It was TV money.

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2017, 11:41 AM

If a bunch of personalities I don't like end up getting cut, I might have to look into this cord-cutting. Do my part and pitch in, you know?

Not just cord-cutters. Cost base is just way too high. Tons of competition that have picked up their game over the last 4-5 years. Disney looking to grow margins.

A decade ago, ESPN accounted for 50% of Disney's bottomline. That's insane! Today, it's probably a lot less.

53n206
04-26-2017, 11:42 AM
If a female said someone needed to "knock Grayson Allen out" should she be called a "lady"?

ChillinDuke
04-26-2017, 11:42 AM

It is. It's the tip of the iceberg, but the writing has been on the wall for quite some time. ESPN will soon go full-on direct-to-consumer via it's ESPN app, which they created about 3 years ago as a logical progression from ESPN360.com (which has since been rebranded to ESPN3.com).

They've been posturing for this for a while. And their hand will soon be forced. More than a handful of programming outlets have already adopted paid direct-to-consumer options as part of their offering (HBO, Showtime, CBS, to name a few).

We've discussed it a lot around here (I know I have, because I'm interested). Here is Lotusland's theory (http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?39644-Where-should-the-ACCT-be-held&p=960474#post960474) from the most recent thread I could dig up. Maybe his/her theory is just starting to come to pass?!

- Chillin

ChillinDuke
04-26-2017, 11:45 AM
Partly, but the main reason is a huge increase in the cost of broadcast rights for major sports leagues. ESPN has to pay the NFL/NBA/MLB etc. for the right to broadcast their games, and these fees have grown dramatically over the past 2 years. Remember the source of the huge salary cap increase in the NBA? It was TV money.

Right, but it's all intertwined. TV money (such as ESPN) paid because they were in the tail of the seemingly never-ending stream of revenue increases. ESPN revenues are now dropping or at least not increasing as dramatically, but their costs are inked in by the contracts they cut. In a nutshell, we're watching an "ESPN Recession."

- Chillin

MChambers
04-26-2017, 11:46 AM

If a bunch of personalities I don't like end up getting chopped, I might have to look into this cord-cutting myself. Do my part and pitch in, you know?

I am given to understand that I must spread the love around before sporking Troublemaker again.

Not sure I can cut the cord, but I did uninstall the ESPN phone apps after the ridiculous coverage of Grayson this season. Doing my part in small ways.

kAzE
04-26-2017, 11:49 AM
Right, but it's all intertwined. TV money (such as ESPN) paid because they were in the tail of the seemingly never-ending stream of revenue increases. ESPN revenues are now dropping or at least not increasing as dramatically, but their costs are inked in by the contracts they cut. In a nutshell, we're watching an "ESPN Recession."

- Chillin

Here's a more detailed explanation:

The layoffs are an attempt by ESPN to evolve in the wake of a two-headed challenge: a declining subscriber base and skyrocketing rights fees. Over the past five years, the network has lost somewhere around 12 million subscribers as the viewing public looks for cheaper avenues for home entertainment. At the same time, the money ESPN has paid to the professional sports leagues to acquire their live events steadily climbed.

Last year, the network’s new nine-year agreement with the NBA to televise pro basketball games took effect. The reported cost to ESPN: somewhere around $1.5 billion per year, a massive increase over the previous deal. That’s on top of deals the network already had with the NFL ($1.9 billion annually), various NCAA conferences and the College Football Playoff (well over $1 billion), and Major League Baseball ($700 million). Some of those deals will be up for renewal in the not-so-distant future.

It's basically a combination of dwindling subscriber numbers and increases in costs of their contracts with major sports leagues.

But let's keep it real: ESPN is still a ratings giant. It's not like they are tanking . . . they just need to work under a tighter budget.

sagegrouse
04-26-2017, 11:53 AM

It's basically a combination of dwindling subscriber numbers and increases in costs of their contracts with major sports leagues.

But let's keep it real: ESPN is still a ratings giant. It's not like they are tanking . . . they just need to work under a tighter budget.

I have heard that a "hu-u-u-u-ge" portion of one's cable or DirecTV payments goes to ESPN (and much then much passed on to the leagues and teams). Does anyone have any numbers on this?

Dukehky
04-26-2017, 11:53 AM

I think a lot of it is that they spent ALL their money on stuff that just doesn't generate as much viewing power as a lot of other stuff. They get 1 night of NFL which they paid out the rear end to get. They don't get the NFL Playoffs, they will never get the SuperBowl, they don't get March Madness, they don't get the World Series, they don't get the weekend at the Masters usually. Their biggest ratings come from MNF, the Eastern Conference Finals? Which don't get great ratings, and some college basketball that is relevant nationwide. I know they have Sunday Night Baseball, but national baseball ratings are really low, especially when compared to the regional markets. They spent a huge amount of money to get NBA games, which since it's the fastest growing sport in terms of viewers, seemed like the smart play, but you can only get so many people to tune in to Memphis v. San Antonio. There's no fantasy basketball that's big enough to support the money they spent on the rights to broadcast that game on a Wednesday night in February.

So the stuff that could net them a ton of straight cash (advertising for the biggest events), they just don't have access to. They also have alienated half the country because they're a REALLY liberal broadcast. I'm totally down with that, but lots of folks didn't like Curt Schilling's getting fired for responding to HB2 the way he did (again, I think that was fire-worthy).

nmduke2001
04-26-2017, 12:07 PM
I have heard that a "hu-u-u-u-ge" portion of one's cable or DirecTV payments goes to ESPN (and much then much passed on to the leagues and teams). Does anyone have any numbers on this?

This is a little old, but best I could come up with. I've read that ESPN is now closer to $7/month and sports channels are $22/month.

https://blogs.wsj.com/numbers/how-much-cable-subscribers-pay-per-channel-1626/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-26-2017, 12:08 PM
I think a lot of it is that they spent ALL their money on stuff that just doesn't generate as much viewing power as a lot of other stuff. They get 1 night of NFL which they paid out the rear end to get. They don't get the NFL Playoffs, they will never get the SuperBowl, they don't get March Madness, they don't get the World Series, they don't get the weekend at the Masters usually. Their biggest ratings come from MNF, the Eastern Conference Finals? Which don't get great ratings, and some college basketball that is relevant nationwide. I know they have Sunday Night Baseball, but national baseball ratings are really low, especially when compared to the regional markets. They spent a huge amount of money to get NBA games, which since it's the fastest growing sport in terms of viewers, seemed like the smart play, but you can only get so many people to tune in to Memphis v. San Antonio. There's no fantasy basketball that's big enough to support the money they spent on the rights to broadcast that game on a Wednesday night in February.

So the stuff that could net them a ton of straight cash (advertising for the biggest events), they just don't have access to. They also have alienated half the country because they're a REALLY liberal broadcast. I'm totally down with that, but lots of folks didn't like Curt Schilling's getting fired for responding to HB2 the way he did (again, I think that was fire-worthy).

I think that's simply playing to their audience - sports teams are in major markets, major markets are in urban areas, and the biggest political divide in America is urban v. rural.

BigZ
04-26-2017, 12:11 PM
Aaron Boone please

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-26-2017, 12:14 PM
In this age of social media and reality TV, ESPN really missed the opportunity for a fantastic sweeps week series where they reveal the leading vote-getters one episode at a time... and axing the rest.

YmoBeThere
04-26-2017, 12:14 PM

Not sure what the fees are for others but I get ESPN via Sling for an additional $5 above the initial package I purchased.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-26-2017, 12:24 PM
They could save a lot of money by getting rid of Stephen A Smith and his baseless, sensationalistic opinions, not having a cast of thousands on NFL pre game shows to each voice 20 seconds of opinions, and not having sideline reporters assigned to meaningless games who are also on air for a few seconds each.

The question I have regards rights fees and salaries. The dramatic increases in rights fees have driven massive salary increases in sports. As networks such as ESPN increasingly struggle to justify these fees, will the fees start moderating or declining? And this could lead to the moderation and decline in salaries, unless leagues can find other revenue sources. I think the leagues are actively trying to stay ahead of the curve on this, but reality could set in sooner rather than later.

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2017, 12:25 PM
Really like this guy. Thought he had some really nice pieces.

Source: https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/04/26/espn-layoffs-names-list-ed-werder-more#

luburch
04-26-2017, 12:31 PM

Source: https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/04/26/espn-layoffs-names-list-ed-werder-more#

Eamonn was by far my favorite college basketball writer at ESPN. Sad to see him go. Hopefully he lands somewhere that will make full use of his talents.

I think Zach Lowe and the Le Batard show are about the only two good things ESPN has anymore. Miss the days when they actually showed highlights from games.

Dukehky
04-26-2017, 01:20 PM
Kannell got axed.

MChambers
04-26-2017, 01:27 PM
Eamonn was by far my favorite college basketball writer at ESPN. Sad to see him go. Hopefully he lands somewhere that will make full use of his talents.

I think Zach Lowe and the Le Batard show are about the only two good things ESPN has anymore. Miss the days when they actually showed highlights from games.

Me too on Eamonn. He's quite good, probably better than ESPN deserves.

kAzE
04-26-2017, 01:27 PM
Kannell got axed.

Hooray!

hallcity
04-26-2017, 01:28 PM
Any implications for the ACC Network? If they're laying off people, it's not a real good sign for a new endeavor, don't you think?

Atlanta Duke
04-26-2017, 01:29 PM
ESPN college basketball writer CL Brown let go.

Found out when he checked his phone for messages while on vacation in Madrid

https://mobile.twitter.com/clbrownespn/status/857270630353338370

Dukehky
04-26-2017, 01:29 PM
Hooray!

I feel bad for him a little bit. Not too bad because his dad is one of the best orthopedics in Florida (except for the whole Daunte Culpepper over Drew Brees health thing) so even if he doesn't have any money left, he'll be okay.

Joey Galloway is the actual worst person on ESPN though...

Merlindevildog91
04-26-2017, 01:31 PM
Jayson Stark, too.

Dukehky
04-26-2017, 01:31 PM
ESPN college basketball writer CL Brown let go.

Found out when he checked his phone for messages while on vacation in Madrid

https://mobile.twitter.com/clbrownespn/status/857270630353338370

I hope he doesn't get mad and trip someone, that would land him in jail.

I actually like most of these writers, Dana included, but they fell into that ESPN click-bait nonsense with Grayson, and it just royally pissed me off. I'm sure I will feel more forgiving towards them when I see the next batch of people that will inevitably trot out even worse drivel.

They got rid of the entire college basketball roster except Goodman and Katz, and of course, that clown Lunardi.

dukebluesincebirth
04-26-2017, 01:37 PM
I hope he doesn't get mad and trip someone, that would land him in jail.

I actually like most of these writers, Dana included, but they fell into that ESPN click-bait nonsense with Grayson, and it just royally pissed me off. I'm sure I will feel more forgiving towards them when I see the next batch of people that will inevitably trot out even worse drivel.

They got rid of the entire college basketball roster except Goodman and Katz, and of course, that clown Lunardi.

They knew college basketball would never survive without Joe L. I mean, no one would know who would be seeded where in each bracket 4 months before the tourney. We simply have to have bracketology to survive :)

Atlanta Duke
04-26-2017, 01:41 PM

Also gutted their NHL coverage - but since ESPN is not paying for rights to the NHL games no surprise it is cutting loose coverage for a sport into which $$$ are not sunk

Trent Dilfer gone from NFL coverage - presumably first of many ex-NFL players to be let go in the "rightsizing"

cato
04-26-2017, 01:55 PM
Any implications for the ACC Network? If they're laying off people, it's not a real good sign for a new endeavor, don't you think?

I'm far from knowledgeable about this, but get the sense that content is king and personalities can be replaced.

A large percentage of my hours spent watching "ESPN" is streaming content on the ACC Network. I watch zero commentary. I'm not a typical viewer, I'm sure, but imagine I am still part of a trend.

CameronBlue
04-26-2017, 02:00 PM
No Keith Olbermann? Huh.

kAzE
04-26-2017, 02:17 PM
No Keith Olbermann? Huh.

Olbermann left ESPN in 2015 . . .

ChillinDuke
04-26-2017, 02:30 PM
By my count, we're at 31 released names so far? The Deadspin site is helpful but a little tough to sift through quickly with all the Twitterizing.

In what I think is chronological order (name - general affiliation):

Paul Kuharsky - Titans reporter
Ed Werder - NFL
Scott Burnside - NHL
Joe McDonald - NHL
Pierre LeBrun - NHL
Dana O'Neil - College Basketball
Brendan Fitzgerald - Anchor/ESPNU
Mike Goodman - Soccer
Jesse Temple - Big Ten
Austin Ward - Big Ten
Jim Bowden - MLB
Mark Saxon - MLB
Brett McMurphy - College Football
Jeremy Crabtree - College Football
Eamonn Brennan - College Basketball
Jean-Jacques Taylor - ESPN Dallas
Derek Tyson - SEC
CL Brown - College Basketball
Danny Kannell - Radio
Johnette Howard - Columnist (generic?)
Doug Padilla - Dodgers
Max Olson - Big 12
Jane McManus - ESPNW
David Ching - SEC
Jayson Stark - MLB
Brian Bennett - Big Ten
Trent Dilfer - NFL
Ted Miller - Pac 12
Ethan Strauss - NBA
Jay Crawford - Anchor/ESPN
Melissa Isaacson - ESPNW

- Chillin (I'm not fired by ESPN, just signing off)

devildeac
04-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Olbermann left ESPN in 2015 . . .

You can't fire me because I quit. (?)

:o

Atlanta Duke
04-26-2017, 02:33 PM
Len Elmore out with this tweet on the Deadspin running termination list

For 21 yrs. I tried to represent the best in college hoops. Adios Bristol!

hallcity
04-26-2017, 02:37 PM

Now that's great news!

devildeac
04-26-2017, 02:38 PM

WTH? Wonder if elmoron has seen anyone regarding his illusions of grandeur?

Ahhh, see ya!!!

kAzE
04-26-2017, 02:53 PM
WTH? Wonder if elmoron has seen anyone regarding his illusions of grandeur?

Ahhh, see ya!!!

Well, I dunno how much we can flame him for that tweet. After all, he only said he tried. He never said he succeeded.

taiw93
04-26-2017, 02:58 PM
A little disappointed to see so many in this thread celebrating a bunch of hard-working folks losing their jobs. I'm particularly bummed to see that the casualties of the layoffs were mostly journalists, axed in favor of professional hot-take artists. Business is business, but it's a sad day for sports, and for sports journalism in particular.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-26-2017, 03:02 PM
A little disappointed to see so many in this thread celebrating a bunch of hard-working folks losing their jobs. I'm particularly bummed to see that the casualties of the layoffs were mostly journalists, axed in favor of professional hot-take artists. Business is business, but it's a sad day for sports, and for sports journalism in particular.
Since when was ESPN ever in the business of sports journalism?

Atlanta Duke
04-26-2017, 03:05 PM
I'm particularly bummed to see that the casualties of the layoffs were mostly journalists, axed in favor of professional hot-take artists.

It presumably is based on how many viewers/page clicks you generate that will be lost if you are gone

Interesting comparison in this article in The Ringer to how newspapers' sports pages started their circling of the drain

When the first layoffs came, they didn’t take out the loudmouth columnist, just as ESPN didn’t take out Stephen A. Smith. No, the first layoffs surgically removed the organs of the paper .  That feature writer graying at the temples; the horseracing writer; the sports TV columnist...

The newspaper sports page left behind after the layoffs may have looked the same. But it was flimsier and more top-heavy and, on a slow news day, it was clear it didn’t have anything resembling a bench.

https://theringer.com/espn-layoffs-d7fad2feb8d5

ChillinDuke
04-26-2017, 03:09 PM

YESSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- Chillin

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2017, 03:11 PM

I'm very disappointed to see journalists attack a 20-year old college kid who made mistakes ON THE COURT but otherwise is a model athlete/student.

Attacking kids is a complete low-blow, but Grayson got more negative press/attention than pro athletes who committed actual crimes, including assault and rape.

MrPoon
04-26-2017, 03:18 PM
Cord cutting is clearly part of the tipping point but ESPN over saturated the market with air time between fifteen channels and radio etc. The result was it competed against itself, programming existed because their was space, not consumers interested in it. When that happens in any business, the outliers get the attention. Once ESPN did that the TV and radio became less about content and more about drama. "Stay tuned to see if so and so should be offended by Westbrook not shaking hands." "Tune in Monday to hear Bomani re pick the 2013 NFL draft." ESPN dug deeper and deeper into the verbose and further away from meaningful content. I stopped listening to ESPN radio about a year ago because the commercials were every ten seconds and the content over an hour could be squeezed into a 3 min segment. God bless podcasts.

The problem they face is that they created this monster that feeds on itself but alienates its viewers. Don't tell me if I should be offended, don't tell me if something is fair, and don't tell me how your politics should inform my view of a football team. Do tell me if the Bronco's are making a trade, if K is working on a new defense, if the top three QBs in the draft can actually play in the league, etc. I want experts telling me what I didn't know, I've got the gossipy emotionalism covered in the rest of my life. I would pay extra to get rid of 1/3 of ESPN's blowhards and get back guys like Bob Knight showing me on a replay why the positioning of a guys feet on a screen allowed the cutter to score (but those aren't the ones being cut today as far as I can tell). But I guess this is all a reflection of the destruction of the media as we know it in a broader picture, one I'd rather not discuss on a Blue Devil's site (I hear too much of it on Facebook already!)

Indoor66
04-26-2017, 03:27 PM

NEVER. Only spin and opinion.

taiw93
04-26-2017, 03:27 PM
I'm very disappointed to see journalists attack a 20-year old college kid who made mistakes ON THE COURT but otherwise is a model athlete/student.

Attacking kids is a complete low-blow, but Grayson got more negative press/attention than pro athletes who committed actual crimes, including assault and rape.
I don't disagree, and was similarly disappointed. But those who frequently provide that sort of coverage were, by and large, not the ones laid off. Despite Dana O'Neil's one critical column, the ones let go today were primarily the Ed Werders and C.L. Browns of the world, not the Michelle Beadles and Stephen A. Smiths.

Saratoga2
04-26-2017, 03:31 PM
100% agreed. Love Russillo, but Kanell drives me nuts, and killed that radio show for me. I miss SVP & Russillo. That was the best daily sports podcast . . .

Occasionally, Russillo does solo NBA podcasts, which are actually quite good. Hopefully, Kannell gets the axe . . .

Vitale would be my #1 target

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2017, 03:34 PM
I don't disagree, and was similarly disappointed. But those who frequently provide that sort of coverage were, by and large, not the ones laid off. Despite Dana O'Neil's one critical column, the ones let go today were primarily the Ed Werders and C.L. Browns of the world, not the Michelle Beadles and Stephen A. Smiths.

Agreed. Which is why I only expressed happiness at Dana O'Neil's firing.

Reddevil
04-26-2017, 03:37 PM
Cord cutting is clearly part of the tipping point but ESPN over saturated the market with air time between fifteen channels and radio etc. The result was it competed against itself, programming existed because their was space, not consumers interested in it. When that happens in any business, the outliers get the attention. Once ESPN did that the TV and radio became less about content and more about drama. "Stay tuned to see if so and so should be offended by Westbrook not shaking hands." "Tune in Monday to hear Bomani re pick the 2013 NFL draft." ESPN dug deeper and deeper into the verbose and further away from meaningful content. I stopped listening to ESPN radio about a year ago because the commercials were every ten seconds and the content over an hour could be squeezed into a 3 min segment. God bless podcasts.

The problem they face is that they created this monster that feeds on itself but alienates its viewers. Don't tell me if I should be offended, don't tell me if something is fair, and don't tell me how your politics should inform my view of a football team. Do tell me if the Bronco's are making a trade, if K is working on a new defense, if the top three QBs in the draft can actually play in the league, etc. I want experts telling me what I didn't know, I've got the gossipy emotionalism covered in the rest of my life. I would pay extra to get rid of 1/3 of ESPN's blowhards and get back guys like Bob Knight showing me on a replay why the positioning of a guys feet on a screen allowed the cutter to score (but those aren't the ones being cut today as far as I can tell). But I guess this is all a reflection of the destruction of the media as we know it in a broader picture, one I'd rather not discuss on a Blue Devil's site (I hear too much of it on Facebook already!)

Thank you for putting into words what I have been feeling for years now. It seems we have to wade through a sea of weeds to find one blade of grass. This is cold because people are losing their jobs, but in a real way this is part of restoring order, supply and demand and all that. Hopefully they can find their way back to meat and potatoes content, and when they do discuss topics, it will be done in a meaningful, thoughtful way as opposed to people intentionally taking opposite sides of a topic just so they can berate each other. Enough already! Tell me the score. Show me some highlights. Give me a couple interviews (even though players and coaches rarely reveal much), and educate me on what I don't know using topical experts. Hey ESPN, we don't care about the soap opera part of sports. I care about the players as much as they care about me. I do not need to know about their lives, and I certainly don't need to hear the opinions of other fans (espn talking heads). I already have friends. I am a sports fan. I live in a world of drama already. Sporting events are an escape for me. You are taking the fun out of it. Get back to your roots. Thank you.

Devils Librarian
04-26-2017, 03:56 PM

ESPN is really challenging the axiom that one will never go broke appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Indoor66
04-26-2017, 03:58 PM
Thank you for putting into words what I have been feeling for years now. It seems we have to wade through a sea of weeds to find one blade of grass. This is cold because people are losing their jobs, but in a real way this is part of restoring order, supply and demand and all that. Hopefully they can find their way back to meat and potatoes content, and when they do discuss topics, it will be done in a meaningful, thoughtful way as opposed to people intentionally taking opposite sides of a topic just so they can berate each other. Enough already! Tell me the score. Show me some highlights. Give me a couple interviews (even though players and coaches rarely reveal much), and educate me on what I don't know using topical experts. Hey ESPN, we don't care about the soap opera part of sports. I care about the players as much as they care about me. I do not need to know about their lives, and I certainly don't need to hear the opinions of other fans (espn talking heads). I already have friends. I am a sports fan. I live in a world of drama already. Sporting events are an escape for me. You are taking the fun out of it. Get back to your roots. Thank you.

Yeah, reality bites everyone in the butt, eventually.

sammy3469
04-26-2017, 04:00 PM

Yeah...more than anything, today's firings seem to be concentrated on niche areas of sports on the ESPN.com platform. As much as this may be in response to cord-cutting, you can also make the argument that these firings are the result of a bad web presence that got eaten by better online content whether at a site like DBR itself, at draftexpress.com, or at something like profootballprospectus/footballoutsiders. Their website never figured out what it really wanted to be and as a result in the end it was nothing.

budwom
04-26-2017, 04:01 PM
BusinessWeek had an article about ESPN's woes a few weeks ago. Everyone knows about revenue being down because of cord cutting. That can only be projected to continue.

What hurts more, though, is that the high cost base they have in place is going to be stuck there for years since they have a whole bunch of very long term contracts
with the various leagues and college conferences.....so while profits are diminished but OK now, the very high cost they'll pay for content over the next decade is fixed and painful, and profits
are going to get whacked.

ChillinDuke
04-26-2017, 04:01 PM
The Deadspin site is helpful but a little tough to sift through quickly with all the Twitterizing.

Ed Werder - NFL
Scott Burnside - NHL
Joe McDonald - NHL
Pierre LeBrun - NHL
Mike Goodman - Soccer
Jesse Temple - Big Ten
Austin Ward - Big Ten
Jim Bowden - MLB
Mark Saxon - MLB
Derek Tyson - SEC
Danny Kannell - Radio
Doug Padilla - Dodgers
Max Olson - Big 12
Jane McManus - ESPNW
David Ching - SEC
Jayson Stark - MLB
Brian Bennett - Big Ten
Trent Dilfer - NFL
Ted Miller - Pac 12
Ethan Strauss - NBA
Melissa Isaacson - ESPNW
Calvin Watkins - Rockets Reporter
Len Elmore - YESSS!!!
Ashley Fox - NFL
Robin Lundberg - Radio
Justin Verrier - Pelicans Reporter
Chantel Jennings - College Sports
Rufus Peabody (what a name) - Predictive Analytics

Refreshed above. 38 total now.

- Chillin

Atlanta Duke
04-26-2017, 04:07 PM
BusinessWeek had an article about ESPN's woes a few weeks ago. Everyone knows about revenue being down because of cord cutting. That can only be projected to continue.

What hurts more, though, is that the high cost base they have in place is going to be stuck there for years since they have a whole bunch of very long term contracts
with the various leagues and college conferences...so while profits are diminished but OK now, the very high cost they'll pay for content over the next decade is fixed and painful, and profits
are going to get whacked.

That is a problem when your dealer knows you are more addicted to buying the product than other customers

This comparison of what ESPN pays for Monday Night Football (with no Super Bowl broadcast rights) and NBC pays for a better slate of Sunday night games (along with the right to broadcast the Super Bowl once every three years)

More than any other network, ESPN needed N.F.L. games to help sustain its monthly subscriber fees, the foundation of its financial structure.

So, in the contract that began in 2006, ESPN agreed to pay $1.1 billion annually, nearly twice NBC’s $600 million. When it came time to renew the deal through 2021, the price rose to $1.9 billion a year. NBC is paying $950 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/sports/football/monday-night-football-tv-ratings-espn.html

budwom
04-26-2017, 04:14 PM
That is a problem when your dealer knows you are more addicted to buying the product than other customers

More than any other network, ESPN needed N.F.L. games to help sustain its monthly subscriber fees, the foundation of its financial structure.

So, in the contract that began in 2006, ESPN agreed to pay $1.1 billion annually, nearly twice NBC’s $600 million. When it came time to renew the deal through 2021, the price rose to $1.9 billion a year. NBC is paying $950 million.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/28/sports/football/monday-night-football-tv-ratings-espn.html

Yeah, when you're riding high, any cost for content seems fine. When they draw the revenue and cost trend lines, financial puckerage ensues.

TKG
04-26-2017, 04:22 PM
When does the parent copy realize that the problem with ESPN rests with its Skipper?

rocketeli
04-26-2017, 04:24 PM
this is nonsense. ESPN makes what, 40 billion a year? 10 billion? firing 30-40 folks whose salaries add up to few million at best (and I'll bet that many of those let go were making five figures only) will not make a bit of difference in their bottom line. Stock market theater I guess.

Jarhead
04-26-2017, 04:27 PM
Most of the names that have been bandied about I simply don't recognize. When all names have been released I'll probably not recognize them either. As for the two or three names I did recognize, uuhh, ....so?

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2017, 04:28 PM
this is nonsense. ESPN makes what, 40 billion a year? 10 billion? firing 30-40 folks whose salaries add up to few million at best (and I'll bet that many of those let go were making five figures only) will not make a bit of difference in their bottom line. Stock market theater I guess.

Around 10 billion (http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-revenue-subscriber-fees-2015-11). And firing 100 folks at, say, $1M each (salary, overheads, etc) is around $100M, which represents 1% of their income. So ESPN margins increase 1%. It's obviously not that easy, but saving 1% in costs overnight is a big deal.

kAzE
04-26-2017, 04:30 PM

Well, those 30-40 are only what has come out so far. There were reportedly 100 or more on-air personalities who were laid off today. Many of ESPN's best and brightest earn seven figures, so it could still be a pretty sizable chunk of salary expenses when all is said and done.

It was also reported that many ESPN employees actually offered to take reduced salaries to keep their jobs, and some employees have had their roles "significantly reduced," which most likely means their paycheck was also significantly reduced.

Around 10 billion (http://www.businessinsider.com/espn-revenue-subscriber-fees-2015-11). And firing 100 folks at, say, $1M each (salary, overheads, etc) is around $100M, which represents 1% of their income. So ESPN margins increase 1%. It's obviously not that easy, but saving 1% in costs overnight is a big deal.

It was reported that their cost for JUST content was around 7.3 billion. Then throw in operating costs, taxes, and whatever other fees and licenses they need to broadcast (sorry, I'm not too familiar with the TV industry), and their total budget for employees starts to look a lot smaller than you would think.

Ultrarunner
04-26-2017, 04:33 PM
No tears . . . Len Elmore is gone (https://twitter.com/LenElmore/status/857294793059295232)

Sorry, didn't realize it was old news. Post #54 Atlanta Duke already had it and I missed it as I scanned.

Dev11
04-26-2017, 04:33 PM
I'm not normally here to tell people they should think more highly of certain ESPN college basketball personalities, but I ask for general empathy because all of these people just lost their jobs in a minute. No two week notices, no pending layoffs announcement, nothing. Just employed one minute and not employed the next. It's one thing to wish ESPN would reassign people away from Duke coverage because they are biased blowhards, it's another thing entirely to dance on their occupational graves.

Ok, back to reading what you all have to say about minutes distribution about how much UNC gets away with cheating.

ChillinDuke
04-26-2017, 04:37 PM

I disagree completely.

Yes, ESPN makes a lot of money in revenue. But they also spend a lot of money for that revenue - their contracts alone with the major sports are astronomical - and that's just for the rights (and we haven't talked about things like Wimbledon, or the X Games for which they organize 100% (I assume)). There's a TON of cost to actually air this stuff - high-tech cameras, travel costs, producers, cameramen, production equipment, servers, broadcast equipment, food, etc. They can't cancel any of this stuff - they are inked in by contract. The show must go on. They can't just sell the cameras, fire the makeup artist or the fashion designer or the cameraman/woman. They can't just take a bus from LA to Chicago on a one-day turnaround and cancel the flight. These costs are (more or less) fixed in that industry in this regard.

The most significant of their variable costs are pretty likely to be their personnel - which over time they have overhired and overextended to the most peripheral of peripheries. So the fact that they are shedding these personnel, and the way in which they are shedding them in such a public way (in no small part because ESPN probably requires them all to have Twitter accounts and to be active posters), is a significant occurrence.

For the record, I have no factual evidence to back any of my ESPN-specific thoughts up. Just general finance and accounting background dealing with companies.

So take my view FWIW, which isn't much. But I would in no way call this "stock market theater." It's a bad look and one that ESPN probably would have reduced in scope, subdued in perception, or avoided altogether if it had that as an option.

- Chillin

Bob Green
04-26-2017, 04:38 PM
Hopefully, Kannell gets the axe . . .

Everyone differs in their likes and dislikes, I enjoyed Kanell on the afternoon radio show.

duke74
04-26-2017, 04:40 PM

Michelle Beadle, I think...whose role has been increasing recently. (Sports Nation?) Clearly the way to the top is to encourage violence against a 20 year old boy.

flyingdutchdevil
04-26-2017, 04:41 PM
I'm not normally here to tell people they should think more highly of certain ESPN college basketball personalities, but I ask for general empathy because all of these people just lost their jobs in a minute. No two week notices, no pending layoffs announcement, nothing. Just employed one minute and not employed the next. It's one thing to wish ESPN would reassign people away from Duke coverage because they are biased blowhards, it's another thing entirely to dance on their occupational graves.

Ok, back to reading what you all have to say about minutes distribution about how much UNC gets away with cheating.

This actually isn't true. https://www.poynter.org/2017/espn-lays-off-about-100-employees/457461/

We will be as supportive as we can during this transition, including providing a minimum of 60-days notice, a severance package reflective of their years of service, and outplacement benefits to help them find future employment.

The last point is obviously useless. But two months guaranteed salary plus severance for years worked (assume Disney is cheap and gives 2 weeks for every year served), that adds up. Someone like Brennan who worked 8 years at ESPN can get 9 weeks salary + 16 weeks severance for a total of 25 weeks pay. Not bad. Plus, ESPN is the most reputable sports news company. These guys and gals will get hired sooner rather than later.

ChillinDuke
04-26-2017, 04:44 PM

That's not entirely true. We don't know what conversations and/or internal meetings were had to bring up and/or address up these issues. Paul Kuharsky, for one, explicitly says "Knew cuts were coming." in his Tweet announcing his layoff. It's also important to realize a lot of these same people were hired by ESPN during a run-up of expenses in the previous 10 (or more) years, evidencing that they were already budding and/or established names in their respective fields. I certainly feel bad for most of them; it stinks to lose a job. But a lot of these people will be just fine. ESPN is the top of the mountain, so to speak. It's like saying a banker got laid off from Goldman; something tells me they'll find another job, if not taking a slight step down.

- Chillin

sagegrouse
04-26-2017, 04:47 PM

The fact that the terminations are immediate doesn't mean that there are no financial adjustments, severance payments, partial bonus payments, vesting of options, etc.

It seems risky to put a fired person in an on-air job. Oh, by the way, Howard Beale, formerly of the UBS Evening News, just called me to say hello.

Kindly,
Sage Grouse
'"Network" was 41 years ago. Egad!'

duke74
04-26-2017, 04:49 PM

Assuming none are under contract requiring severance, etc. (I have no idea of the contract situations.)

kAzE
04-26-2017, 04:51 PM

I'll say this much: I agree with you on the principle that many of these people, especially the ones who have families and live in Bristol will have some major life changing decisions to make. On that front, I do sympathize with them. (Unless their name is Dana O'Neil or Michelle Beadle)

But as others have said, these people did receive proper notice appropriate for a major company like ESPN and were given proper termination benefits, and will very likely land on their feet quickly.

TKG
04-26-2017, 05:12 PM
But as others have said, these people did receive proper notice appropriate for a major company like ESPN and were given proper termination benefits, and will very likely land on their feet quickly.

Perhaps a renaissance of local TV sports broadcasting - a la Joe Pisocopo?

Indoor66
04-26-2017, 05:22 PM
I'm waiting for them to fire the idiot who does bracketology.

FadedTackyShirt
04-26-2017, 05:22 PM
What Michelle Beadle said about Grayson Allen was personally and professionally vile.

Kinda surprised Britt McHenry survived. Her parking lot attendant tirade was despicable.

Pghdukie
04-26-2017, 05:41 PM
Curious if a "no compete" clause was entered into their termination ?

weezie
04-26-2017, 05:50 PM
Story reporter on NPR said not to cry for espn. Still making tons of money, just not what it used to make. Is that awful headache inducing magazine still being published? If so they should can that piece of tripe.

Johnette Edwards is a darned good writer, hope she lands on her feet.

sagegrouse
04-26-2017, 05:51 PM
Curious if a "no compete" clause was entered into their termination ?

Uh, no. As in "You are being fired, and I will give you this tiny severance payment if you agree to a non-compete clause." I don't think Disney would ever contemplate doing that.

CDu
04-26-2017, 06:01 PM
Michelle Beadle, I think...whose role has been increasing recently. (Sports Nation?) Clearly the way to the top is to encourage violence against a 20 year old boy.

What Michelle Beadle said about Grayson Allen was personally and professionally vile.

Kinda surprised Britt McHenry survived. Her parking lot attendant tirade was despicable.

The irony about Beadle's comments on Allen is that she was so vocal in bashing the NFL on how leniant they were with Ray Rice. If you are going to rail against domestic violence (which is a good thing to rail against), you probably shouldn't make comments promoting any sort of violence. Just ridiculous.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-26-2017, 06:10 PM
I'm waiting for them to fire the idiot who does bracketology.

No way. No one else can begin to replicate his expertise.

::eye roll::

Indoor66
04-26-2017, 06:12 PM
his expertise

Oxymoron alert!

ChillinDuke
04-26-2017, 06:20 PM
The Deadspin site is helpful but a little tough to sift through quickly with all the Twitterizing.

Ed Werder - NFL
Scott Burnside - NHL
Joe McDonald - NHL
Pierre LeBrun - NHL
Mike Goodman - Soccer
Jesse Temple - Big Ten
Austin Ward - Big Ten
Jim Bowden - MLB
Mark Saxon - MLB
Derek Tyson - SEC
Danny Kannell - Radio
Doug Padilla - Dodgers
Max Olson - Big 12
Jane McManus - ESPNW
David Ching - SEC
Jayson Stark - MLB
Brian Bennett - Big Ten
Trent Dilfer - NFL
Ted Miller - Pac 12
Ethan Strauss - NBA
Melissa Isaacson - ESPNW
Len Elmore - YESSS!!!
Ashley Fox - NFL
Robin Lundberg - Radio
Chris Hassel - Anchor/ESPN
Jaymee Sire - Anchor/ESPN
Roger Cossack - Legal Analyst
Dottie Pepper - Golf
Greg Ostendorf - SEC
Reese Waters - Correspondent (?)
Marysol Castro - Boxing
Dave Tuley - Sports Gambling
Tom Farrey - Enterprise Reporter (?)
Jerry Punch - Auto Racing/College Football
Jade McCarthy - Anchor/ESPN

Refreshed above. 49 now, so about half of the damage.

I think the condensed list is interesting, frankly. It gives a peek into how deep ESPN has/had gotten into the periphery (one could argue, away from their core competencies). Examples - Sports gambling; predictive analytics; and at least 3 (out of 49) that were SEC-focused writers/personalities.

- Chillin

DukieInKansas
04-26-2017, 06:26 PM
The irony about Beadle's comments on Allen is that she was so vocal in bashing the NFL on how leniant they were with Ray Rice. If you are going to rail against domestic violence (which is a good thing to rail against), you probably shouldn't make comments promoting any sort of violence. Just ridiculous.

Exactly the argument I used with her dad.

oakvillebluedevil
04-26-2017, 06:26 PM
Think it's pretty clear that ESPN.com is really taking the brunt of this...so either ESPN.com will just produce less content or the people staying there will really need to jack up the content per person (probably both).

My fear is that it will try to keep same # of links to generate clicks, while cutting digestible/quality content per link even further than they already had. Will make for an even poorer online experience than what it is today. Also could be an instructive case study on relative value of digital/online content vs. the other arms of a media company (though i obviously don't know / haven't researched all the details...)

Also - echo those who are sad for the folks whose lives this uproots

sagegrouse
04-26-2017, 06:40 PM
Think it's pretty clear that ESPN.com is really taking the brunt of this...so either ESPN.com will just produce less content or the people staying there will really need to jack up the content per person (probably both).
Another observation is that for every one "on-air" persona, there are probably several others behind the camera and in corporate administration that will lose their jobs. Maybe 3:1; maybe 5:1.

KandG
04-26-2017, 06:48 PM
But a lot of these people will be just fine. ESPN is the top of the mountain, so to speak. It's like saying a banker got laid off from Goldman; something tells me they'll find another job, if not taking a slight step down.

- Chillin

This is an extreme exaggeration to equate the laid off people to bankers at Goldman. Sports media isn't some bottomless pool of wealth (far from it) and many of the people laid off aren't going to fall into a cushy high paying job somewhere else. I know several of the people who were let go (mostly on ESPN.com and in more niche areas of coverage like basketball and soccer analytics behind the Insider paywall) and this is tough for them. They weren't making a ton of money and some may not make close to what they were making at any other outlet.

Whatever you think of ESPN as a TV entity and all the spurious debate angles they've promoted on their various franchises, they also provided a lot of good in-depth coverage in corners of their website that weren't necessarily as well promoted. From the former Page 2 to (now defunct) Grantland to The Undefeated to the various long pieces in their magazine, they've got lots of good people working for them beyond the most visible blowhards on First Take.

As someone who's been through layoffs at a couple of companies, however necessary they may be in the big picture when a company isn't meeting its goals, they're never easy and frequently scarring for all involved. I really dislike some of the personalities who were let go (hi Len Elmore!) and some of things they've written or said on air, but to celebrate their demise in a blanket fashion the way this thread has is pretty gross.

grossbus
04-26-2017, 07:02 PM
I thought Dottie Pepper was CBS golf. ???

westwall
04-26-2017, 07:09 PM
I really dislike some of the personalities who were let go (hi Len Elmore!) and some of things they've written or said on air, but to celebrate their demise in a blanket fashion the way this thread has is pretty gross.

Yeah, that's right. I think all of us just want to see ESPN stay, but their skipper to go!

sagegrouse
04-26-2017, 07:09 PM
I thought Dottie Pepper was CBS golf. ???

I believe you're right. ESPN gets credit for firing someone who quit two years ago?

From the Wikipedia article:

Due to injury problems, Pepper played only one tournament in 2002. In July 2004 she announced that she would retire at the end of the season. In 2005, she began work as a golf commentator for NBC and The Golf Channel, reporting on both men's and women's events.

During the 2007 Solheim Cup, Pepper caused some stir while working as commentator for the Golf Channel. She called the American team "choking freaking dogs". Pepper thought the network had cut to commercial when the comment was uttered, but it was actually still broadcasting live. Some players and fans were upset by this and Pepper quickly apologized for her "poor choice of words".

Pepper retired from commentating in December 2012, tired of the traveling and wanting to spend more time promoting junior golf as a PGA of America board member. In May 2013, she signed a contract with ESPN to return to commentating on a limited basis, working mainly major tournaments on the PGA, LPGA and Champions Tours. In October 2015, Pepper was signed to a contract with CBS, replacing David Feherty who had left the network to work for NBC and to continue his Feherty series on the Golf Channel. She will take up Feherty's role as on-course reporter as well as do occasional tower announcing.

Reilly
04-26-2017, 07:13 PM
Of the list of 49 that Chillin assembled in post #100, the *only* one I'll miss is Brett McMurphy. Very, very solid reporter; very funny/dry wit (moreso on Twitter than in his espn work). I'm sure he'll land on his feet just fine.

Maybe Len Elmore could replace Bob Harris? Exchange missed calls due to love for missed calls due to hate?

Atlanta Duke
04-26-2017, 07:20 PM
Another observation is that for every one "on-air" persona, there are probably several others behind the camera and in corporate administration that will lose their jobs. Maybe 3:1; maybe 5:1.

Previous layoffs hit behind the camera and admin positions

In October 2015, ESPN laid off about 300 people, most of whom were not on camera.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/04/26/sports/espn-layoffs.html

But this round is primarily targeting on-air/writer employees based upon this excerpt from Skipper's corporatespeak memo today

Dynamic change demands an increased focus on versatility and value, and as a result, we have been engaged in the challenging process of determining the talent—anchors, analysts, reporters, writers and those who handle play-by-play—necessary to meet those demands. We will implement changes in our talent lineup this week. A limited number of other positions will also be affected and a handful of new jobs will be posted to fill various needs.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/john-skipper-message-espn-employees/

MCFinARL
04-26-2017, 07:22 PM
I believe you're right. ESPN gets credit for firing someone who quit two years ago?

But she herself tweeted that she was laid off today, so she must have had a current relationship with ESPN. She does, however, still have a job with CBS, as already noted. https://twitter.com/Dottie_Pepper/status/857320130203836418 (https://twitter.com/Dottie_Pepper/status/857320130203836418)

Possibly CBS golf commentator is not a full-time job.

MChambers
04-26-2017, 08:10 PM
Uh, no. As in "You are being fired, and I will give you this tiny severance payment if you agree to a non-compete clause." I don't think Disney would ever contemplate doing that.

Noncompetes are generally disfavored anyway, and in this circumstance I don't think many courts would enforce such a clause here.

Reilly
04-26-2017, 08:11 PM
Of the list of 49 that Chillin assembled in post #100, the *only* one I'll miss is Brett McMurphy. Very, very solid reporter; very funny/dry wit (moreso on Twitter than in his espn work). I'm sure he'll land on his feet just fine ...

Just looked at McMurphy's Twitter feed, and the very first comment is from another reporter/columnist I greatly admire (and who is very familiar to ACC fans) -- David Teel -- who tweeted about McMurphy: "Gold standard of reporting."

duke4ever19
04-26-2017, 08:20 PM

I'll certainly give it a try.

Henderson
04-26-2017, 08:32 PM
ESPN will soon go full-on direct-to-consumer via it's ESPN app, which they created about 3 years ago as a logical progression from ESPN360.com (which has since been rebranded to ESPN3.com).

They've been posturing for this for a while. And their hand will soon be forced. More than a handful of programming outlets have already adopted paid direct-to-consumer options as part of their offering (HBO, Showtime, CBS, to name a few).

Does this mean no more Jimmy pimping Zyppah? Or more of Jimmy pimping Zyppah?

JetpackJesus
04-26-2017, 08:57 PM

Reminds me of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz9810Y7ZRw

throatybeard
04-26-2017, 09:42 PM
This is an extreme exaggeration to equate the laid off people to bankers at Goldman. Sports media isn't some bottomless pool of wealth (far from it) and many of the people laid off aren't going to fall into a cushy high paying job somewhere else. I know several of the people who were let go (mostly on ESPN.com and in more niche areas of coverage like basketball and soccer analytics behind the Insider paywall) and this is tough for them. They weren't making a ton of money and some may not make close to what they were making at any other outlet.

Whatever you think of ESPN as a TV entity and all the spurious debate angles they've promoted on their various franchises, they also provided a lot of good in-depth coverage in corners of their website that weren't necessarily as well promoted. From the former Page 2 to (now defunct) Grantland to The Undefeated to the various long pieces in their magazine, they've got lots of good people working for them beyond the most visible blowhards on First Take.

As someone who's been through layoffs at a couple of companies, however necessary they may be in the big picture when a company isn't meeting its goals, they're never easy and frequently scarring for all involved. I really dislike some of the personalities who were let go (hi Len Elmore!) and some of things they've written or said on air, but to celebrate their demise in a blanket fashion the way this thread has is pretty gross.

Quoted for truth.

I can't find which of these articles I saw it in, but I think I saw that they're taking ESPNU back to Bristol from Charlotte, and leaving a tiny operation in Charlotte.

dukelion
04-26-2017, 11:13 PM

I liked this guy too.....also liked Dana O'Neill as well. Always found CL Brown as a major UNC homer but I take no pleasure in seeing him losing his job. I love CBB so to see any ESPN CBB writers lose their gigs is a sad development.

Hope they all bounce back quickly.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-26-2017, 11:28 PM
Count me in the group that finds no mirth in people getting fired.

CameronBlue
04-26-2017, 11:49 PM
Of the list of 49 that Chillin assembled in post #100, the *only* one I'll miss is Brett McMurphy. Very, very solid reporter; very funny/dry wit (moreso on Twitter than in his espn work). I'm sure he'll land on his feet just fine.

Maybe Len Elmore could replace Bob Harris? Exchange missed calls due to love for missed calls due to hate?

I know the notion is anathema around here....a bete noire, repugnant, odious and malignantly stinkypoo but I liked Len, well I tolerated him for the most part. He's grown on me over years. He's like your dottering Uncle, he falls asleep and farts in polite company and we just blame it on the dog. That's Uncle Len, we just love him.

cato
04-27-2017, 12:12 AM
I know the notion is anathema around here...a bete noire, repugnant, odious and malignantly stinkypoo but I liked Len, well I tolerated him for the most part. He's grown on me over years. He's like your dottering Uncle, he falls asleep and farts in polite company and we just blame it on the dog. That's Uncle Len, we just love him.

I've always liked Len, and am especially sorry to see him let go. He was interesting, and gave more insight than many others.

Really, I'm sorry about all of the layoffs. Len has accomplished a lot and will be fine. Others will be more deeply affected.

sagegrouse
04-27-2017, 06:27 AM
I know the notion is anathema around here...a bete noire, repugnant, odious and malignantly stinkypoo but I liked Len, well I tolerated him for the most part. He's grown on me over years. He's like your dottering Uncle, he falls asleep and farts in polite company and we just blame it on the dog. That's Uncle Len, we just love him.
Besides, he was the on-air analyst backing up Verne Lundquist when Laettner made "the shot."

lotusland
04-27-2017, 06:37 AM
Elmore is a dour negative Nellie but he was objectively so. I never saw the anti-Duke bias others claimed. He's grumpy and gloomy regardless of what team is playing. Vitale is the opposite. Both can be annoying but, given a choice, I prefer the guy who is having some fun.

Saratoga2
04-27-2017, 06:50 AM
Elmore is a dour negative Nellie but he was objectively so. I never saw the anti-Duke bias others claimed. He's grumpy and gloomy regardless of what team is playing. Vitale is the opposite. Both can be annoying but, given a choice, I prefer the guy who is having some fun.

I prefer a guy who talks about what is happening on the floor. Vitale simply does not.

OldPhiKap
04-27-2017, 07:12 AM
I never pull for someone to lose their job. Having said that, there are some that I will not miss.

Len is one of those people.

Spanarkel
04-27-2017, 07:34 AM
I'll miss Jerry Punch(,MD). Majored in Zoology while a backup QB at NCS, earned tuition for NCS and Bowman Gray SoM auto racing on the weekends.

BD80
04-27-2017, 08:32 AM

Len is the Mrs. Kissel of college basketball announcers:

https://youtu.be/ikTrjQ3Cdbo

toughbuff1
04-27-2017, 08:43 AM
Andy Katz was let go. That is stunning to me.

ChillinDuke
04-27-2017, 09:11 AM
I never pull for someone to lose their job. Having said that, there are some that I will not miss.

Len is one of those people.

I'll never pull for someone to lose their job either. However, it is currently happening at ESPN and in a very public and unusual way. So I don't see why we can't talk about it.

This post is not directed at OPK but to others that are calling this a "celebration" of people losing their jobs. I have seen very little celebration in this thread other than for a few firings that were singularly applauded (and widely one, in particular).

- Chillin

atoomer0881
04-27-2017, 09:26 AM

This is shocking to me. Did they seriously leave anyone at all that does college basketball? It shocks me that so many of the writers were let go, yet people like Joe Lunardi (who I have absolutely nothing against) remain. Like what does Joe do besides "bracketology"?

sagegrouse
04-27-2017, 09:29 AM
This is shocking to me. Did they seriously leave anyone at all that does college basketball? It shocks me that so many of the writers were let go, yet people like Joe Lunardi (who I have absolutely nothing against) remain. Like what does Joe do besides "bracketology"?

"Bracketology" is probably judged to "generate revenue." Therefore, even though an opossum with a ouija board could do it as well, Lunardi gets to keep his job.

flyingdutchdevil
04-27-2017, 09:33 AM
"Bracketology" is probably judged to "generate revenue." Therefore, even though an opossum with a ouija board could do it as well, Lunardi gets to keep his job.

I wouldn't say "probably". I'd say "definitely". Clicks were arguably a key metric for who stays and who goes. Tons of sports fans - not necessarily college basketball fans - click on bracketology but don't click on a well-written Andy Katz article.

Disney isn't stupid. They may hire annoying people, but they are a brilliant organization.

ChillinDuke
04-27-2017, 09:34 AM

Ed Werder - NFL
Scott Burnside - NHL
Joe McDonald - NHL
Pierre LeBrun - NHL
Mike Goodman - Soccer
Jesse Temple - Big Ten
Austin Ward - Big Ten
Jim Bowden - MLB
Mark Saxon - MLB
Derek Tyson - SEC
Danny Kannell - Radio
Doug Padilla - Dodgers
Max Olson - Big 12
Jane McManus - ESPNW
David Ching - SEC
Jayson Stark - MLB
Brian Bennett - Big Ten
Trent Dilfer - NFL
Ted Miller - Pac 12
Ethan Strauss - NBA
Melissa Isaacson - ESPNW
Len Elmore - YESSS!!!
Ashley Fox - NFL
Robin Lundberg - Radio
Dottie Pepper - Golf
Greg Ostendorf - SEC
Marysol Castro - Boxing
Jarrett Bell - NFL
Darren Haynes - Anchor/ESPN
David Hirshey - Soccer
Josh Parcell - Producer/ESPNU
Doug Glanville - MLB
Dallas Braden - MLB
Raul Ibanez - MLB
Charles Arbuckle - College Football
Jim Caple - Columnist
Andy Katz - College Basketball
David Lombardi - College Football

Refreshed above. 60 known.

The MLB segment is starting to look rough - although maybe those former players are expensive contracts.

ETA - Also a lot of young anchors, it seems.
ETAA - Wow, Andy Katz, just leaked courtesy of Seth Greenberg on Twitter this morning.

- Chillin

atoomer0881
04-27-2017, 09:38 AM

I get that but still, the dude does nothing 10 months out of the year, and the things he does do, like you said a 2 year old who points to which food he likes better could do it just as well. IMO he doesn't bring any "substance" to ESPN, but apparently they don't give a crap about substance.

sagegrouse
04-27-2017, 09:41 AM
I get that but still, the dude does nothing 10 months out of the year, and the things he does do, like you said a 2 year old who points to which food he likes better could do it just as well. IMO he doesn't bring any "substance" to ESPN, but apparently they don't give a crap about substance.

Agreed. Nevertheless, I am very jealous of Joe Lunardi. He found a niche, and he is wedged in there like a moray eel in a coral reef.

atoomer0881
04-27-2017, 09:42 AM
Agreed. Nevertheless, I am very jealous of Joe Lunardi. He found a niche, and he is wedged in there like a moray eel in a coral reef.

hahaha quite possibly the best description of Lunardi I have ever seen.

nmduke2001
04-27-2017, 09:51 AM
I'm really shocked at the dismissal of Andy Katz and Roger Cossack. Andy always produced really good content and seemed to know his stuff. Roger Cossack was great during the all too common legal issues of sports.

Troublemaker
04-27-2017, 09:54 AM
I'll never pull for someone to lose their job either. However, it is currently happening at ESPN and in a very public and unusual way. So I don't see why we can't talk about it.

This post is not directed at OPK but to others that are calling this a "celebration" of people losing their jobs. I have seen very little celebration in this thread other than for a few firings that were singularly applauded (and widely one, in particular).

- Chillin

Right, I think people are mostly rooting on a case-by-case basis here. Needless to say, I hope any decent, unannoying "on air personality" that got laid off will land on his/her feet. (Not to mention any decent, unannoying "off-air personalities" working behind the scenes as well.)

Now, some might argue that even if one dislikes Len Elmore or Dana O'Neil, it is wrong to root for them to lose their jobs. Okay, but where do we draw that line? Staying in the realm of TV, have you never had a favorite TV show that would be just a smidge better if some annoying character (or portrayal of character) were to get axed? Rooting for that is rooting for someone to lose his/her job. Or, more generally, there may be an entire TV show or franchise that you wished didn't exist at all. That's the loss of a LOT of jobs if that show or franchise goes away.

Now, one might argue with the removal of Elmore on the merits, as has been happening in this thread, i.e. "Len is okay with me because of X, Y, Z." But, I'm going to say the act of rooting for someone's termination is okay because ultimately I do it all the time, directly or indirectly, for things I watch on TV, and I want to believe I'm still a good person despite that, haha.

MChambers
04-27-2017, 09:57 AM
That is stunning. Not much written content left. I also like Dana O'Neil, except for her silly (but not horrible) Grayson comment.

Layoffs are tough, anywhere.

dyedwab
04-27-2017, 10:19 AM
Based on news reports and who they are letting go, my guess is that its expensive, but not superstar, on-air and writing talent. It's weird that Katz falls into this, but Lunardi staying is understandable. For him, ESPN is a side-gig - his main gig is as Assistant VP for Communications for St. Joe's. My guess is that his contract is reflective of that.

Anyway, some people I like are gone, as well as some people i don't like. Layoffs happen and I feel no joy in people losing their jobs.

FadedTackyShirt
04-27-2017, 10:24 AM
I'm really shocked at the dismissal of Andy Katz and Roger Cossack. Andy always produced really good content and seemed to know his stuff. Roger Cossack was great during the all too common legal issues of sports.

Also surprised by those specific firings. Watch college hoops, MLB, and college football on ESPN. MLB coverage has taken the biggest hit so far.

Vitale's well past his sell by date. Curious if he'll "retire" or if they'll announce 2018 as his final season.

moonpie23
04-27-2017, 10:25 AM
so, wait......

bomani jones stays? correct me if i'm wrong...

Atlanta Duke
04-27-2017, 10:32 AM
so, wait...

bomani jones stays? correct me if i'm wrong...

Charles Manson would stay on the payroll if he generated sufficient page clicks/ratings for his salary - it's nothing personal, it's strictly business

weezie
04-27-2017, 10:37 AM
... leaked courtesy of Seth Greenberg on Twitter this morning...

Ugh, that's a creepy image of Fester hunched over his phone thumbing away.

Bomani Jones, angry, not funny hole fan saved by the light blue powers.

NYBri
04-27-2017, 10:50 AM
I can't abide ESPN daytime radio, but I do listen to Bomani while heading home. :cool:

ChillinDuke
04-27-2017, 10:59 AM
Ugh, that's a creepy image of Fester hunched over his phone thumbing away.

Bomani Jones, angry, not funny hole fan saved by the light blue powers.

Kinda makes you wonder if Fester was dumb enough to actually be the first person to post about Andy Katz being fired, either before Andy did or against Andy's desires at the moment, or both.

Or if it's just the first post that Deadspin got a hold of.

Probably the latter, but the former is just such a Fester-y thing to do.

- Chillin

kAzE
04-27-2017, 11:09 AM
Another shocked college basketball fan here in response to the firing of Andy Katz. I'm not sure ESPN has a more professional and well respected CBB reporter than Andy. He's certainly better than Jeff Goodman.

sammy3469
04-27-2017, 11:10 AM

The MLB segment is starting to look rough - although maybe those former players are expensive contracts.

ETAA - Wow, Andy Katz, just leaked courtesy of Seth Greenberg on Twitter this morning.

- Chillin

What I told you the day after gutting their MLB coverage, they announced they are putting an MLBNetwork show onto ESPN2 daily in the 4-5pm timeslot. Just incredible to me, but it must be cheap. That's one way to torpedo morale though.

http://espnmediazone.com/us/press-releases/2017/04/espn-adds-mlb-networks-intentional-talk-afternoon-lineup-new-content-collaboration/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-27-2017, 11:26 AM
I enjoy Bomani, FWIW.

Turk
04-27-2017, 11:38 AM

I suspect Lunardi only gets paid two months out of the year, so I doubt we're talking a lot of money. Bracketology is his third gig. He has a full- time day job at St. Joseph's, and is also their radio color guy during hoops season.

Andy Katz has been the biggest surprise casualty to me so far, slightly ahead of Jayson Stark. Katz seemed well-connected and certainly prolific in terms of both content and air time. Maybe ESPN will move to more of a Lunardi model with some of the staff, for example: "Hey Andy or Jayson, we'll pay you as a contractor for 6 months during the season. The rest of the time you're on your own."

arnie
04-27-2017, 12:07 PM
I enjoy Bomani, FWIW.

You need help.

TNDukeFan
04-27-2017, 12:09 PM
I enjoy Bomani, FWIW.

Ditto, though it's been a while. I like his attitude.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-27-2017, 12:11 PM
You need help.

Or, you know, different tastes. But your answer is fun too.

atoomer0881
04-27-2017, 12:14 PM
I suspect Lunardi only gets paid two months out of the year, so I doubt we're talking a lot of money. Bracketology is his third gig. He has a full- time day job at St. Joseph's, and is also their radio color guy during hoops season.

Andy Katz has been the biggest surprise casualty to me so far, slightly ahead of Jayson Stark. Katz seemed well-connected and certainly prolific in terms of both content and air time. Maybe ESPN will move to more of a Lunardi model with some of the staff, for example: "Hey Andy or Jayson, we'll pay you as a contractor for 6 months during the season. The rest of the time you're on your own."

It'd be very interesting if that were to happen, since I'll admit I assume most people don't read/click on Andy Katz/Eammon Brennan/Dana O'Neil/etc. articles in the college basketball section during the offseason. Then again, I'd be interested to see if those people would even want that kind of a contract after their very public layoffs.

nmduke2001
04-27-2017, 12:19 PM
I enjoy Bomani, FWIW.

I really like Bomani too.

kAzE
04-27-2017, 12:21 PM
I really like Bomani too.

You can pretty much tell who is a liberal or conservative based on their opinion of Bomani Jones . . .

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-27-2017, 12:28 PM
You can pretty much tell who is a liberal or conservative based on their opinion of Bomani Jones . . .

Wow, really? I see him as pretty apolitical.

nmduke2001
04-27-2017, 12:34 PM

I think Bomani is a smart dude. Heck, he has a masters in Econ and worked toward a PhD. He taught at Duke. Plus, he might be one of the only sports guys that agreed with me that Tony Romo should have went straight back to the starting line-up for the Cowboys last year once he was healthy.

kAzE
04-27-2017, 12:39 PM

Yeah, this was news to me as well until yesterday, when I was surprised to see a fair number of people on the internet throwing around conspiracy theories claiming ESPN's downfall is because of their political agenda . . . most prominently, Jason Whitlock:

https://twitter.com/WhitlockJason/status/857228074940747777

or less prominent guys like this (just watch the first 5 seconds, that's all I could handle :p): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnsKVYWh5e8&t=57s

I promise I'm not trying to cause a controversy, I'm actually genuinely surprised that people feel this way, as I have personally never viewed ESPN as a liberal network.

Saratoga2
04-27-2017, 12:48 PM

- Chillin

A lot of the ESPN shows are really poorly run and feature personalities and entertainment over real sports information. Maybe it's time to cut the tie. I thought Katz was one of the better ones on their network. Sorry to see him in the layoff list.

duke4ever19
04-27-2017, 01:11 PM

ESPN isn't his only job, according to his wiki: "[Lunardi] is the Assistant Vice President of Marketing Communications at Saint Joseph's University and does color commentary for men's basketball for the Saint Joseph's Hawks.

So, the answer seems to be that Lunardi doesn't do really do anything for ESPN besides bracketology, but he has other sources of income, which he more-than-likely needs due to bracketology only being relevant for a few months out of every year.

Indoor66
04-27-2017, 01:19 PM
I promise I'm not trying to cause a controversy, I'm actually genuinely surprised that people feel this way, as I have personally never viewed ESPN as a liberal network.

You have got to be kidding!

Olympic Fan
04-27-2017, 01:20 PM

Really? I'm pretty much the most liberal guy on this board (at least the most outspoken liberal) and I HATE Bomani Jones.

As a former journalist who was himself laid off when my newspaper downsized (I had been there 30 plus years), I can't celebrate the devastation at ESPN.

But what makes it worse is that many of the best journalists that were working for ESPN (Katz, Stark, O'Neill, Brennan) were let go while the "entertainers" (the loud-mouths who have no journalistic standards and who tend to think that the volume of their argument is more important than the substance of their argument (LeBatard, Jones, Stephen A. Smith, etc) were for the large part kept on.

Bomani is a good example. A few years ago, he tried to get my help in tracking down Will Avery because he thought Avery would trash Coach K for him. We were talking about his lack of knowledge/judgment is n article he had written that called Laettner's "stomp" of Timberlake "the most despicable act ever on a basketball court". I pointed out several instances that were clearly worse -- topped by the Minnesota assault on Luke Witte in 1972 (https://www.si.com/vault/1972/02/07/565933/)

Bomani responded by telling me that it's not about the facts ... the story was the important thing. And he explained the his hate for Duke was part of his schick. Jack Benny's schick was his cheapness ... Charlie Sheen's schick is his womanizing ... Bomani Jones; schick us his hatred of Duke.

I respect good journalism ... and there's not much of that left at ESPN. Bomani is certainly not interested in journalism.

luburch
04-27-2017, 01:28 PM
Really? I'm pretty much the most liberal guy on this board (at least the most outspoken liberal) and I HATE Bomani Jones.

As a former journalist who was himself laid off when my newspaper downsized (I had been there 30 plus years), I can't celebrate the devastation at ESPN.

But what makes it worse is that many of the best journalists that were working for ESPN (Katz, Stark, O'Neill, Brennan) were let go while the "entertainers" (the loud-mouths who have no journalistic standards and who tend to think that the volume of their argument is more important than the substance of their argument (LeBatard, Jones, Stephen A. Smith, etc) were for the large part kept on.

Bomani is a good example. A few years ago, he tried to get my help in tracking down Will Avery because he thought Avery would trash Coach K for him. We were talking about his lack of knowledge/judgment is n article he had written that called Laettner's "stomp" of Timberlake "the most despicable act ever on a basketball court". I pointed out several instances that were clearly worse -- topped by the Minnesota assault on Luke Witte in 1972 (https://www.si.com/vault/1972/02/07/565933/)

Bomani responded by telling me that it's not about the facts ... the story was the important thing. And he explained the his hate for Duke was part of his schick. Jack Benny's schick was his cheapness ... Charlie Sheen's schick is his womanizing ... Bomani Jones; schick us his hatred of Duke.

I respect good journalism ... and there's not much of that left at ESPN. Bomani is certainly not interested in journalism.

I really hate seeing Le Batard grouped in with those names. I think his show is fantastic and he does a great job of talking about issues outside of sports.

Bomani very much dislikes duke. Or at least pretends to for his audience. When he's not talking about Duke, I can usually put up with him.

atoomer0881
04-27-2017, 01:50 PM
ESPN isn't his only job, according to his wiki: "[Lunardi] is the Assistant Vice President of Marketing Communications at Saint Joseph's University and does color commentary for men's basketball for the Saint Joseph's Hawks.

So, the answer seems to be that Lunardi doesn't do really do anything for ESPN besides bracketology, but he has other sources of income, which he more-than-likely needs due to bracketology only being relevant for a few months out of every year.

Yea, I meant what else did he do for ESPN, not in general. But I suppose if he only contracts with ESPN to work for a few months out of the year, and generates tons of clicks and internet traffic for them, then there was no chance in hell he'd be part of this group of layoffs.

BD80
04-27-2017, 01:51 PM
... Bomani ... explained the his hate for Duke was part of his schick. Jack Benny's schick was his cheapness ... Charlie Sheen's schick is his womanizing ... Bomani Jones; schick us his hatred of Duke.

I respect good journalism ... .

schtick

kAzE
04-27-2017, 01:52 PM
You have got to be kidding!

Let me clarify that . . . yes, there are some clearly liberal personalities on ESPN, but it comes with the territory. I think it's fair to say that most athletes in the NFL and NBA (probably ESPN's two most heavily covered sports leagues) are fairly liberal. It's not ESPN's fault that many of the most knowledgeable sports commentators are former athletes. Yes, perhaps their own political viewpoints may come out sometimes when they talk about sports, but when have they specifically pushed any political message on the network? They do cover some politically charged stuff, but only when a major athlete does something, like when LeBron wore his "can't breathe" t-shirt during warm ups. Generally, It's not that difficult to separate sports and politics.

I think the bigger issue is what we have mostly been complaining about here, which journalistic integrity. Reporting unbiased facts should be more important than generating a narrative or trying to get clicks on a website. And that's not even really why ESPN went down. Even though the quality of their content has taken a dive, their ratings have stayed consistently great. Cable TV in general is suffering from losing subscribers. ESPN will not be last cable network to do this. They are first, because the cost of their content is higher than most. More layoffs on other major cable networks are coming, because the entire cable industry is becoming obsolete.

moonpie23
04-27-2017, 02:05 PM
I think Bomani is a smart dude.

not when he says that duke basketball represents the WORST of college athletics...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-27-2017, 02:25 PM
I really hate seeing Le Batard grouped in with those names. I think his show is fantastic and he does a great job of talking about issues outside of sports.

Bomani very much dislikes duke. Or at least pretends to for his audience. When he's not talking about Duke, I can usually put up with him.

I like LeBatard too. Didn't realize I was in the minority on these things.

Also, can we go back and retroctively axe Colin Cowherd? He's the ESPN yammering "personality" that I really thought was a gas bag.

sagegrouse
04-27-2017, 02:37 PM
Yea, I meant what else did he do for ESPN, not in general. But I suppose if he only contracts with ESPN to work for a few months out of the year, and generates tons of clicks and internet traffic for them, then there was no chance in hell he'd be part of this group of layoffs.

Lunardi makes a lot of money for ESPN, and if he were free, a rival network would snap him up in a heartbeat.

MCFinARL
04-27-2017, 02:57 PM
schtick

Your proofreading is razor sharp!

PSurprise
04-27-2017, 03:01 PM
Your proofreading is razor sharp!

Is it...ahem....the best a man can get?

rasputin
04-27-2017, 03:07 PM
Is it...ahem...the best a man can get?

No soap.

CameronBlue
04-27-2017, 03:09 PM
"You can pretty much tell who is a liberal or conservative based on their opinion of Bomani Jones . . . "

Scuse me, what huh? Just how are our political sensibilities supposed to align? You will find no bigger libtard than yours truly. At this moment I'm sitting in my office wearing a pink leotard crying elephant tears as I listen to Mahler's 9th and I think that Bomani is an annoying bore. No question he's intelligent but his comments often reveal a pretty deep-seated anti-Duke bias. You can't be selectively objective and expect to be taken seriously.

DukieInKansas
04-27-2017, 03:16 PM
"You can pretty much tell who is a liberal or conservative based on their opinion of Bomani Jones . . . "

Scuse me, what huh? Just how are our political sensibilities supposed to align? You will find no bigger libtard than yours truly. At this moment I'm sitting in my office wearing a pink leotard crying elephant tears as I listen to Mahler's 9th and I think that Bomani is an annoying bore. No question he's intelligent but his comments often reveal a pretty deep-seated anti-Duke bias. You can't be selectively objective and expect to be taken seriously.

This post is no good without pictures!

kAzE
04-27-2017, 03:27 PM

Okay, you're right, it was a bad post by me. It's bad to generalize. Sorry, everyone.

I will say that it's somewhat curious that Jones has actually worked as an adjunct professor at Duke University, and even hosted a radio show for a year in Durham, despite being apparently extremely anti-Duke.

Edit: Upon further research, I have discovered that he has a masters degree in economics from the University of North Carolina at Cheater Hill. Pretty obvious why he hates Duke.

SoCalDukeFan
04-27-2017, 03:29 PM
I am probably older than most of you guys, Duke '66.

I used to watch ESPN a lot, SportsCenter etc. Now its just games and a few special shows - NFL Draft, NCAA Selection Show, etc - and on some of those I am flipping back and forth. Basically I get all the news and scores I need off the Internet and I find most of the on air people boring and more concerned with their image than with the presentation of the story. At one time ESPN drew an audience to see what was happening in sports. That day has passed. I guess they think that now the audience turns on for the personality.

in college basketball ESPN is really just promoting the sport until CBS and others get the bigger NCAA Tournament ratings. For baseball they get something out of the playoffs but the big audience is for the WS on Fox. I am not surprised to see many of the top and I assume more expensive people go for those two sports. They do control most the big audience college football game, a sport which seems to have taken less of a hit.

I will certainly miss Andy Katz. Why would you keep Vitale. Did they keep Bill Walton, who is the absolute worst? Many of the others are actually unknowns to me. Living in LA I need a traffic station when I drive so little time for ESPN radio.

At my age I am too old to transition to following the X Games and Esports. I might start to track how much ESPN I really watch with an eye to dropping it.

SoCal

BD80
04-27-2017, 03:39 PM
... At this moment I'm sitting in my office wearing a pink leotard ...

Casual Thursday?

Special rules for NFL Draft day?

BD80
04-27-2017, 03:43 PM
Wonder if there will be another round of announcements after the NFL draft and the draft wrap-up (grades, winners/losers). How many guys working on today's draft are wondering of they'll have a job Monday?

grossbus
04-27-2017, 03:44 PM
"I am probably older than most of you guys, Duke '66."

Not older than Sage Grouse and me.

:cool:

devildeac
04-27-2017, 03:53 PM
"I am probably older than most of you guys, Duke '66."

Not older than Sage Grouse and me.

:cool:

Haven't heard from Jarhead in a while...

;)

COYS
04-27-2017, 03:55 PM
I'm with those that are not interested in celebrating these layoffs. As a soccer fan, I actually love Mike Goodman's articles. And while O'Neil played a role in the anti-Grayson media narrative, she also wrote lots of great articles (even great articles on Grayson). I even suspect that the reporters who occasionally catered to their darker, click-bait tendencies only did so precisely because ESPN valued clicks over quality (a problem that ALL big news media organizations are dealing with now). It seems espn will focus even more of their energy on national stories rather than detailed reporting on specific teams or in depth analysis of strategy/tactics/stats etc.

I do agree with others who think that the changes in the business of sports news makes sites like DBR more and more valuable. Even for a program as high profile as Duke, it has become rarer and rarer to see quality, Duke-specific analysis on ESPN.

wsb3
04-27-2017, 04:19 PM
I am probably older than most of you guys, Duke '66.

I used to watch ESPN a lot, SportsCenter etc. Now its just games and a few special shows - NFL Draft, NCAA Selection Show, etc - and on some of those I am flipping back and forth. Basically I get all the news and scores I need off the Internet and I find most of the on air people boring and more concerned with their image than with the presentation of the story. At one time ESPN drew an audience to see what was happening in sports. That day has passed. I guess they think that now the audience turns on for the personality.

in college basketball ESPN is really just promoting the sport until CBS and others get the bigger NCAA Tournament ratings. For baseball they get something out of the playoffs but the big audience is for the WS on Fox. I am not surprised to see many of the top and I assume more expensive people go for those two sports. They do control most the big audience college football game, a sport which seems to have taken less of a hit.

I will certainly miss Andy Katz. Why would you keep Vitale. Did they keep Bill Walton, who is the absolute worst? Many of the others are actually unknowns to me. Living in LA I need a traffic station when I drive so little time for ESPN radio.

At my age I am too old to transition to following the X Games and Esports. I might start to track how much ESPN I really watch with an eye to dropping it.

SoCal

I agree with much of this post. Andy Katz is one I hate to see go.

I did not realize how much I have cut back on ESPN until I realized many of those let go I have no idea who they are.

I have even slacked off from PTI which I watched from day 1.

Too bad Skipper was not let go..You put cameras all over Grayson but you protect the Cheats with limited coverage..

Also stick to sports.

hackysack123
04-27-2017, 04:26 PM
I agree with much of this post. Andy Katz is one I hate to see go.

I did not realize how much I have cut back on ESPN until I realized many of those let go I have no idea who they are.

I have even slacked off from PTI which I watched from day 1.

Too bad Skipper was not let go..You put cameras all over Grayson but you protect the Cheats with limited coverage..

Also stick to sports.

Ugh, Britt McHenry let go. Why, ESPN?

Andy Katz is awesome. Hate to see him go too.

TNDukeFan
04-27-2017, 04:28 PM
"Major on-air and writing talent was let go at the Worldwide Leader on Wednesday. But it’s not a liberal conspiracy, just business as usual."

https://theringer.com/espn-layoffs-d7fad2feb8d5

Atlanta Duke
04-27-2017, 06:31 PM
I think the bigger issue is what we have mostly been complaining about here, which journalistic integrity. Reporting unbiased facts should be more important than generating a narrative or trying to get clicks on a website.

With regard to that point, interesting observation in this interview on the layoffs with James Andrew Miller, who literally wrote the book on ESPN (Those Guys Have All The Fun)

If you are a solid reporter who operates between the emotional 40-yard lines and don’t say outrageous, irresponsible, sometimes downright wacky and other times downright inaccurate stuff, and you don’t have a huge “following” of your own, it turns out you are an endangered species.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/interrogation/2017/04/what_is_going_on_at_espn_a_conversation_with_james _andrew_miller.html

Native
04-27-2017, 06:32 PM

I have a feeling Skipper's seat is going to start feeling very warm, very soon.

flyingdutchdevil
04-27-2017, 06:44 PM

Cus she's an entitled brat who yells at innocent tow lot employees.

g-money
04-27-2017, 07:38 PM
Andy Katz is gone? Bummer.

Interesting story that I heard through a friend: Throughout the 90's and early 00's, Andy had been frustrated by a lack of access to the Duke program. Then one day, out of the blue, he got the chance to write this article (http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/columns/story?columnist=katz_andy&id=4961273) with Coach K, and the rest is history.

You don't really see many articles like that on the interweb anymore. Let's hope that Andy scores a terrific next gig.

wsb3
04-27-2017, 08:00 PM
One view point if ESPN not sticking to sports has hurt them.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/27/sportscenter-anchor-agrees-politics-are-hurting-espn/

ncexnyc
04-27-2017, 08:06 PM
One view point if ESPN not sticking to sports has hurt them.

http://nypost.com/2017/04/27/sportscenter-anchor-agrees-politics-are-hurting-espn/
This issue came up on another site that was discussing the layoffs. I feel it's very similar to what happened with MTV, when they decided to move away from music and started messing around with other types of shows.

Your channel exists for a reason, don't alienate the people that helped make you successful.

devildeac
04-27-2017, 08:25 PM
I have a feeling Skipper's seat is going to start feeling very warm, very soon.

Much, much warmer than 9F I hope.

CameronBornAndBred
04-27-2017, 10:14 PM
Most of the names that have been bandied about I simply don't recognize. When all names have been released I'll probably not recognize them either. As for the two or three names I did recognize, uuhh, ...so?

Haven't heard from Jarhead in a while...

;)
Not since yesterday. Those old guys take long naps. :rolleyes:

Ultrarunner
04-28-2017, 12:47 AM
For what it's worth, a company called Deep Root Analytics did a two year analysis (http://www.deeprootanalytics.com/2017/04/27/as-espn-got-more-political-in-2016-it-lost-republican-viewers/) of ESPN viewership in the Cincinnati market and had a few surprising things to say:

Specifically, in 2015, the ESPN audience on average skewed Republican across all dayparts, ranging from 12% more Republican (Early News, Late Fringe, Overnight) to 21% more Republican than Democratic (Early Morning).

In 2016, every daypart on ESPN became less conservative, with Daytime being only 2% more Republican than Democratic, while Late Fringe and Overnight programming became 10% and 12% more Democratic than Republican – a 22 and 28 point shift, respectively.

I have no way of judging the accuracy of their work, but in combination of events such as the firing of Curt Schilling or their blog post recently about their new guidelines (http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/816/new-espn-guidelines-recognize-connection-between-sports-politics), I found it interesting but not conclusive.

Since the liberal/conservative card popped up earlier in the thread, I offer a caveat: this is not offered as public policy discussion, but as an indication of the problems that ESPN has in front of it, including cord cutters (I severed mine in 1999), expensive rights contracts, and changing demographics. It's a (possible) data point.

OldPhiKap
04-28-2017, 06:57 AM
For what it's worth, a company called Deep Root Analytics did a two year analysis (http://www.deeprootanalytics.com/2017/04/27/as-espn-got-more-political-in-2016-it-lost-republican-viewers/) of ESPN viewership in the Cincinnati market and had a few surprising things to say:

I have no way of judging the accuracy of their work, but in combination of events such as the firing of Curt Schilling or their blog post recently about their new guidelines (http://www.espn.com/blog/ombudsman/post/_/id/816/new-espn-guidelines-recognize-connection-between-sports-politics), I found it interesting but not conclusive.

Since the liberal/conservative card popped up earlier in the thread, I offer a caveat: this is not offered as public policy discussion, but as an indication of the problems that ESPN has in front of it, including cord cutters (I severed mine in 1999), expensive rights contracts, and changing demographics. It's a (possible) data point.

So if Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet . . . .

(I kid!)

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-28-2017, 06:59 AM
So if Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet . . . .

(I kid!)

Are you now suggesting AL GORE is a liberal? News to me...

//I KEED, I KEED

luburch
04-28-2017, 07:00 AM
This issue came up on another site that was discussing the layoffs. I feel it's very similar to what happened with MTV, when they decided to move away from music and started messing around with other types of shows.

Your channel exists for a reason, don't alienate the people that helped make you successful.

Would MTV still exist today if it only showed music videos? Probably not. We have YouTube and smart phones. You either adapt with the times or get left behind.

I'm not sure ESPN could exist as simply a highlight show anymore. We have Twitter and access to team specific sites for the highlights we want to see. I certainly don't care for the shows ESPN currently airs, but I don't watch much television in the first place. They've tried to adapt...just haven't done so successfully. At least, in the eyes of many viewers.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-28-2017, 07:03 AM
Would MTV still exist today if it only showed music videos? Probably not. We have YouTube and smart phones. You either adapt with the times or get left behind.

I'm not sure ESPN could exist as simply a highlight show anymore. We have Twitter and access to team specific sites for the highlights we want to see. I certainly don't care for the shows ESPN currently airs, but I don't watch much television in the first place. They've tried to adapt...just haven't done so successfully. At least, in the eyes of many viewers.

Maybe it is a case of not being the target demographic, but I stopped watching MTV when they started reality TV instead of videos, and I rarely watch ESPN fluff that isn't college sports or highlight shows. I might stream 30 for 30, but the talking heads shows have never held much interest for me, unless I am at a bar waiting on a friend (insert Rolling Stones reference).

camion
04-28-2017, 07:46 AM

MTV still exists??

wilko
04-28-2017, 09:22 AM
Forgive me for not knowing, but who is Bob Harris' backfil as the new "Voice of the Blue Devils"? Is that known?

And if not - who of the recently displaced at the mothership would fit Duke?

throatybeard
04-28-2017, 09:36 AM
as I listen to Mahler's 9th

Finally some good news in this thread.

Chillduck
04-28-2017, 09:49 AM

Britt McHenry worked the NFL Draft last night.

flyingdutchdevil
04-28-2017, 09:56 AM
To me, layoffs are sadly part of the world we live in. Nowadays, no one is susceptible.

With the ESPN layoffs, I was a little numb to the layoffs. I didn't follow anyone too closely and didn't have a viewpoint one way or the other. CL Brown, Len Elmore, and Eamonn Brennan are all names I'm pretty familiar with.

But there are two names where I had an emotional reaction. The first is Dana O'Neil. I think she's an insightful writer. I think her pieces aren't bad. But she clearly has an unhealthy obsession with Grayson Allen. From "Is Grayson Allen the Next Hated White Duke Player" to continuing to pile on after his third trip, I have hoped that Dana O'Neil would just go away. Feel free to comment on how Grayson Allen has a lot of maturing to do on the court, or how his emotional outbursts aren't good for him or his team, but don't actively ask your readers to hate a shy, academic basketball player who represents Duke well (outside of the tripping, of course).

The other name is Andy Katz. Unlike most on DBR, I like ESPN. I like sports, and it's by far the best sports network and website. And for college basketball, there isn't anything better. And since I became a college ball fan in 2003, Andy Katz has been the one consistency. Sure, you have Jay Bilas and Dickie V - two other mainstays in that timeframe - but it's different. I don't watch a lot of non-Duke college basketball games. I read a lot on ESPN.com. And Katz is fantastic in that regard. He tries to be unbiased (outside of his love for Gonzaga) and always has a calm style of writing. Plus, I always listen when he talks on the sidelines before, during, and after games. Mr. Katz - I'm gonna miss you. Hope you end up somewhere else that I read frequently (SI, CBSSports). You're one of the good ones.

-FDD

ChillinDuke
04-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Britt McHenry worked the NFL Draft last night.

That was her last assignment. She said that in her farewell tweet.

Also, Add Mark May to the list of the wounded. He was never my favorite, but he always got a lot of air time during college football and is one of the bigger names on the list.

Will send update list under separate cover...

- Chillin

ChillinDuke
04-28-2017, 10:01 AM

Ed Werder - NFL
Scott Burnside - NHL
Joe McDonald - NHL
Pierre LeBrun - NHL
Mike Goodman - Soccer
Jesse Temple - Big Ten
Austin Ward - Big Ten
Jim Bowden - MLB
Mark Saxon - MLB
Derek Tyson - SEC
Danny Kannell - Radio
Doug Padilla - Dodgers
Max Olson - Big 12
Jane McManus - ESPNW
David Ching - SEC
Jayson Stark - MLB
Brian Bennett - Big Ten
Trent Dilfer - NFL
Ted Miller - Pac 12
Ethan Strauss - NBA
Melissa Isaacson - ESPNW
Len Elmore - YESSS!!!
Ashley Fox - NFL
Robin Lundberg - Radio
Dottie Pepper - Golf
Greg Ostendorf - SEC
Marysol Castro - Boxing
Jarrett Bell - NFL
David Hirshey - Soccer
Doug Glanville - MLB
Dallas Braden - MLB
Raul Ibanez - MLB
Jim Caple - Columnist
Steve Delsohn - Outside the Lines
Jeff Biggs - Radio
Britt McHenry - Reporter
Doug McIntyre - Soccer
Mark May - College Football

Refreshed above. 65 known. The new leaks are slowing to a trickle, so updating this list will probably be sporadic (or die altogether).

Mark May was another pretty recognizable name (if true; it was only reported by Awful Announcing).

- Chillin

OldPhiKap
04-28-2017, 10:20 AM
To me, layoffs are sadly part of the world we live in. Nowadays, no one is susceptible.

With the ESPN layoffs, I was a little numb to the layoffs. I didn't follow anyone too closely and didn't have a viewpoint one way or the other. CL Brown, Len Elmore, and Eamonn Brennan are all names I'm pretty familiar with.

But there are two names where I had an emotional reaction. The first is Dana O'Neil. I think she's an insightful writer. I think her pieces aren't bad. But she clearly has an unhealthy obsession with Grayson Allen. From "Is Grayson Allen the Next Hated White Duke Player" to continuing to pile on after his third trip, I have hoped that Dana O'Neil would just go away. Feel free to comment on how Grayson Allen has a lot of maturing to do on the court, or how his emotional outbursts aren't good for him or his team, but don't actively ask your readers to hate a shy, academic basketball player who represents Duke well (outside of the tripping, of course).

The other name is Andy Katz. Unlike most on DBR, I like ESPN. I like sports, and it's by far the best sports network and website. And for college basketball, there isn't anything better. And since I became a college ball fan in 2003, Andy Katz has been the one consistency. Sure, you have Jay Bilas and Dickie V - two other mainstays in that timeframe - but it's different. I don't watch a lot of non-Duke college basketball games. I read a lot on ESPN.com. And Katz is fantastic in that regard. He tries to be unbiased (outside of his love for Gonzaga) and always has a calm style of writing. Plus, I always listen when he talks on the sidelines before, during, and after games. Mr. Katz - I'm gonna miss you. Hope you end up somewhere else that I read frequently (SI, CBSSports). You're one of the good ones.

-FDD

I agree with the flying Dutchman on both of these observations.

MrPoon
04-28-2017, 12:45 PM
I'm disappointed about Katz and Dana to a lesser extent but the tone of all of this sounds like they'll be waiting tables next week. Katz will work and may be in a better spot for him long term. What we don't know is how much these people were paid. A lot of times cuts like this are a reflection of being over valued. We can get someone 2/3 as good for half what we paid you and we can't afford to keep paying you. If ESPN negotiated the NBA contract like a drunken sailor, whose to say these contracts weren't the same.
Katz is excellent and will work again soon. ESPN isn't the only game in town, and by shedding good talent, they may end up hurting themselves longer term still.
Now, if its true and Mark May is part of this, that may be an example of addition by subtraction and any competitor who hires him will only be helping the ESPN brand!

Bob Green
04-28-2017, 03:03 PM
If ESPN negotiated the NBA contract like a drunken sailor...

Hey, what's up with impugning the fine reputation of drunken sailors by comparing them to ESPN. :cool: This hits close to home and for one I am offended! :rolleyes:

CameronBlue
04-28-2017, 05:20 PM
Hey, what's up with impugning the fine reputation of drunken sailors by comparing them to ESPN. :cool: This hits close to home and for one I am offended! :rolleyes:

My brother was on the fast-attack sub USS Shark. If we ever meet in Wade or Cameron for a game I'll tell you about his boat's "beer in the boot" challenge. I will not under any circumstances get into the details here.

kAzE
04-28-2017, 05:25 PM
I keep seeing articles saying the biggest names have yet to come. Katz (who almost everybody would agree is a surprise) seems like a victim of being paid too much, which means some really highly paid big name ESPN employees might be added to the list before it's all said and done.

CoachJ10
04-28-2017, 07:40 PM
Maybe S.I. can drop Seth Davis and pick up Andy Katz. I know Seth is a Dukie...but the guy has become unbearable on social media. All he wants to do is talk politics these days (and being Lanny Davis' son, its in his DNA).

NashvilleDevil
04-28-2017, 09:23 PM
Add Chad Ford and Marc Stein

YmoBeThere
04-28-2017, 09:37 PM
I agree with the flying Dutchman on both of these observations.

That "Nowadays, no one is susceptible."?

I think he meant immune?

YmoBeThere
04-28-2017, 09:39 PM
I keep seeing articles saying the biggest names have yet to come. Katz (who almost everybody would agree is a surprise) seems like a victim of being paid too much, which means some really highly paid big name ESPN employees might be added to the list before it's all said and done.

That should make the Cheat sitting at the top of that pile a target.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-28-2017, 11:13 PM

More surprising names. What is the conceivable benefit to this "slow drip" method of announcing? Seems to keep the story in the news for several days.

Any strategy I am missing, or is it just miscalculated?

camion
04-28-2017, 11:26 PM
More surprising names. What is the conceivable benefit to this "slow drip" method of announcing? Seems to keep the story in the news for several days.

Any strategy I am missing, or is it just miscalculated?

Maybe they felt that they didn't have the manpower to remove them all at once. The sackees might band together and storm the castle.

Billy Dat
04-28-2017, 11:55 PM
Very sad aboit Henry Abbott, the creator of True Hoop and Editor in Chief for all NBa coverage. His team was amazing and they all love him. Perhaps my favorite NBA voice, Coach David Thorpe, also got the axe. His new book "Basketball is Jazz" is fantastic.

brevity
04-29-2017, 01:35 AM

More surprising names. What is the conceivable benefit to this "slow drip" method of announcing?

I don't know about Marc Stein, but ESPN went back and revised the original list to show that Chad Ford had always been on it.

bob blue devil
04-29-2017, 07:22 AM
here (https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2017-04-28/espn-can-t-afford-to-go-on-like-this)'s a decent commentary on what is happening to espn ("ESPN Can't Afford to Go On Like This" by Joe Nocerra of Bloomberg View). it doesn't cover particularly new ground, but has a few pieces of data that were new to me (like the fact espn has lost 12% of its customers over the past four years).

Atlanta Duke
04-29-2017, 08:42 AM

Very sad about Henry Abbott, the creator of True Hoop and Editor in Chief for all NBa coverage. His team was amazing and they all love him. Perhaps my favorite NBA voice, Coach David Thorpe, also got the axe. His new book "Basketball is Jazz" is fantastic.

Assuming the business plan is not to become EF(Football)PN, the gutting of the NBA staff further supports the rumor Adrian Wojnarowski and The Vertical are going to leave Yahoo for The Worldwide Leader

The biggest reason to believe ESPN is going after The Vertical: The alternative is a profoundly diminished approach to covering a sport that continues to grow in popularity and prominence. And if ESPN can’t find money even for NBA coverage, that’s a scary thought.

http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/nba-layoffs-mean-vertical-headed-espn.html

James Andrew Miller has extensive ESPN contacts and tweets that is the plan

Another @nba reporter has been let go -- more room for arrival of @WojVerticalNBA & @TheVertical to @espn this summer.

https://twitter.com/JimMiller/status/858057014018277376

wsb3
04-29-2017, 10:08 AM

Stephen A. reportedly makes 3.5 million... That is good work if you can get it.

OldPhiKap
04-29-2017, 11:57 AM

Or a good place to start trimming the budget.

Indoor66
04-29-2017, 12:18 PM
Or a good place to start trimming the budget.

Not trim - cut.

Turk
04-29-2017, 12:36 PM

That is rewarding someone for acting like a jagoff. Sets a bad example for everyone.

throatybeard
04-29-2017, 01:57 PM
I missed this SI article about how the biz is changing (https://www.si.com/vault/2017/01/11/revolution-will-not-be-televised), back in January.

I'm watching less sports than ever, and I can't imagine my consumption on any platform increasing prior to my possible retirement in my 70s (I'm 40), which is far from a foregone conclusion. I don't know how many people there are like me.

slower
04-29-2017, 02:02 PM
That is rewarding someone for acting like a jagoff. Sets a bad example for everyone.

Happens at ALL levels of society, unfortunately.

OldPhiKap
04-29-2017, 02:18 PM

I assume a political joke here would be inappropriate?

Reilly
04-30-2017, 09:07 PM
So if Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet ...

So Ralph Nader and Stephen A. Smith's new show is what killed espn? (I may not have read this thread completely.)

Reilly
04-30-2017, 09:13 PM
... I don't know how many people there are like me.

Throat beard, "The Wire" addiction, opera addiction, alcohol-free health kick ... probably not a large overlap on the Venn diagram with the marketers' dream Jets fans cohort.

SoCalDukeFan
04-30-2017, 09:35 PM
I missed this SI article about how the biz is changing (https://www.si.com/vault/2017/01/11/revolution-will-not-be-televised), back in January.

I'm watching less sports than ever, and I can't imagine my consumption on any platform increasing prior to my possible retirement in my 70s (I'm 40), which is far from a foregone conclusion. I don't know how many people there are like me.

Throaty

I am in my 70's. I am probably watching a little more sports only because I can watch an occasional work time game - i.e. favorite baseball on TV in work hours, NCAA BBall tournament 1st and 2nd round games, maybe the first days of major golf tournaments. I do think I am probably watching less on weekends however. I have a friend on follows soccer and his viewing has increased a lot because of that. I am lucky guy as my wife probably watches almost as much sports as I do so it is something we can do together in retirement.

The ESPN firings to me reflects, among other things, on a culture that would rather be entertained than informed They seem to have kept the announcers who are the most controversial and who may appeal to someone as entertaining. The informative pros are gone.

SoCal

snowdenscold
05-01-2017, 01:18 AM
Fortunately the entire tennis team remains intact (according to Chris Fowler's tweet), which is great since that's mainly what I watch on ESPN outside of Duke BBall. Plus, I like all the commentators.

Unfortunately the American public apparently has little interest in clay court tennis, as ESPN declined to pick up anything this spring - no mid-week French Open, no ATP Media stream of the Masters 1000's via ESPN3, etc. Nothing between Miami and Wimbledon, oh well.

Dr. Rosenrosen
05-01-2017, 05:56 AM
Fortunately the entire tennis team remains intact (according to Chris Fowler's tweet), which is great since that's mainly what I watch on ESPN outside of Duke BBall. Plus, I like all the commentators.

Unfortunately the American public apparently has little interest in clay court tennis, as ESPN declined to pick up anything this spring - no mid-week French Open, no ATP Media stream of the Masters 1000's via ESPN3, etc. Nothing between Miami and Wimbledon, oh well.
I'm not much of a tennis fan anymore but this is sad. I wouldn't be surprised if they are having to cut back on content purchases like these because they are so under water on their big contracts.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-01-2017, 05:59 AM
The ESPN firings to me reflects, among other things, on a culture that would rather be entertained than informed

That seems to be the direction of most media... more websites, fewer books and magazines. More reality TV shows, fewer documentaries. News segments are more likely to cover Dancing With The Stars than Congress.

ESPN is the nexus of sports and entertainment, and yet somehow was slow to recognizing the national trend. After all, who needs informative talking heads when you have a slick app to give you scores and highlights? Tune in live to hear screaming outrage.

TKG
05-01-2017, 06:27 AM
Perhaps I missed it, but are there cost savings to be had by terminating one of the many ESPN channels? Is it still profitable to produce ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, ESPNews, ESPN Classic, ESPNW and ESPN The Magazine?

OldPhiKap
05-01-2017, 07:06 AM
Perhaps I missed it, but are there cost savings to be had by terminating one of the many ESPN channels? Is it still profitable to produce ESPN, ESPN 2, ESPNU, ESPNews, ESPN Classic, ESPNW and ESPN The Magazine?

I think they dropped The Ocho.

ChillinDuke
05-01-2017, 09:15 AM

Ed Werder - NFL
Scott Burnside - NHL
Joe McDonald - NHL
Pierre LeBrun - NHL
Mike Goodman - Soccer
Jesse Temple - Big Ten
Austin Ward - Big Ten
Jim Bowden - MLB
Mark Saxon - MLB
Derek Tyson - SEC
Danny Kannell - Radio
Doug Padilla - Dodgers
Max Olson - Big 12
Jane McManus - ESPNW
David Ching - SEC
Jayson Stark - MLB
Brian Bennett - Big Ten
Trent Dilfer - NFL
Ted Miller - Pac 12
Ethan Strauss - NBA
Melissa Isaacson - ESPNW
Len Elmore - YESSS!!!
Ashley Fox - NFL
Robin Lundberg - Radio
Dottie Pepper - Golf
Greg Ostendorf - SEC
Marysol Castro - Boxing
Jarrett Bell - NFL
David Hirshey - Soccer
Doug Glanville - MLB
Dallas Braden - MLB
Raul Ibanez - MLB
Jim Caple - Columnist
Steve Delsohn - Outside the Lines
Jeff Biggs - Radio
Britt McHenry - Reporter
Doug McIntyre - Soccer
Mark May - College Football
Shaun Assael - Investigations Unit
Henry Abbott - NBA
Marc Stein - NBA
Allen Bestwick - College Football
Chad Ford - NBA

Refreshed above. 70 known.

I think BD said David Thorpe too? (I haven't seen that)

- Chillin

Troublemaker
05-01-2017, 09:29 AM

I think the travel budget plays a role here. Or, put another way, if the tournaments in Indian Wells, Miami, Cincinnati, and Canada were on clay, I think ESPN would probably still televise them. And if the tournaments in Monte Carlo, Madrid, and Rome were on hardcourt, ESPN probably still doesn't televise them.

Great news about the tennis team. I like them, too.

Devils Librarian
05-01-2017, 09:36 AM
Throaty

I am in my 70's. I am probably watching a little more sports only because I can watch an occasional work time game - i.e. favorite baseball on TV in work hours, NCAA BBall tournament 1st and 2nd round games, maybe the first days of major golf tournaments. I do think I am probably watching less on weekends however. I have a friend on follows soccer and his viewing has increased a lot because of that. I am lucky guy as my wife probably watches almost as much sports as I do so it is something we can do together in retirement.

The ESPN firings to me reflects, among other things, on a culture that would rather be entertained than informed They seem to have kept the announcers who are the most controversial and who may appeal to someone as entertaining. The informative pros are gone.

SoCal

This is SO true. It's like opening the newspaper to find nothing but opinion pieces.

brevity
05-01-2017, 10:34 AM
It's like opening the newspaper to find nothing but opinion pieces.

Opening a what?

ESPN has been taking a reality TV approach for a while, but these firings -- particularly the firings of experts -- seem to indicate that they have adopted this philosophy as part of their business model.

Reality TV became popular for various reasons, but it stayed popular because it has two favorable qualities: (1) it's cheap to make, which appeals to content creators and distributors; and (2) it incites a reaction in viewers, which appeals to viewers. The reaction can be positive or negative, but the preferred reaction is a variation of "Why does these people get to be on TV? I can do a better job than them."

This is what we see on ESPN now. The hot take culture is a small part of it, but the reality TV approach extends to everything, even SportsCenter. There's a slim baseline of news, and then they invite an expert (now less of an expert) to comment further on a news topic. The anchor asks a question that is dumbed down as much as possible, so that it's a question any viewer could answer. Then we get an answer that is very inoffensive and uncreative and close to the party line. If you like the answer, you nod your head and think, "I could have done that." If you dislike the answer, you roll your eyes and think, "I could have done better." (If, like me, you dislike the question and the whole setup, you have to start looking for non-sports interests.)

The end effect is clear: viewers learn almost nothing, feel like they could be part of the story, and hopefully take to social media to do just that.

camion
05-01-2017, 10:48 AM
Opening a what?

ESPN has been taking a reality TV approach for a while, but these firings -- particularly the firings of experts -- seem to indicate that they have adopted this philosophy as part of their business model.

Reality TV became popular for various reasons, but it stayed popular because it has two favorable qualities: (1) it's cheap to make, which appeals to content creators and distributors; and (2) it incites a reaction in viewers, which appeals to viewers. The reaction can be positive or negative, but the preferred reaction is a variation of "Why does these people get to be on TV? I can do a better job than them."

This is what we see on ESPN now. The hot take culture is a small part of it, but the reality TV approach extends to everything, even SportsCenter. There's a slim baseline of news, and then they invite an expert (now less of an expert) to comment further on a news topic. The anchor asks a question that is dumbed down as much as possible, so that it's a question any viewer could answer. Then we get an answer that is very inoffensive and uncreative and close to the party line. If you like the answer, you nod your head and think, "I could have done that." If you dislike the answer, you roll your eyes and think, "I could have done better." (If, like me, you dislike the question and the whole setup, you have to start looking for non-sports interests.)

The end effect is clear: viewers learn almost nothing, feel like they could be part of the story, and hopefully take to social media to do just that.

My reaction in (2) is, "Reality sucks. I'm going to watch something else." I guess that's not the reaction the content creators were aiming for. :eek:

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
05-01-2017, 10:49 AM
Opening a what?

Or, take to the Internet to alter the outcome of golf tournaments.

You are correct - I sold short the "reality TV" angle. Viewers and fans want to be involved, and "hot takes" from talking heads combined with social media allow this.
Personally, this model does not appeal to me in the slightest. I would rather have Bobby Knight breakdown Duke's ineffective defense than listen to S.A. Smith scream.

Tripping William
05-01-2017, 01:58 PM
So, Andy Katz gets canned only to have ESPN hire Adrian Wojnarowski (https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/05/01/adrian-wojnarowski-espn-nba-draft?xid=socialflow_facebook_si)? Hmmmm.

camion
05-01-2017, 01:59 PM
So, Andy Katz gets canned only to have ESPN hire Adrian Wojnarowski (https://www.si.com/tech-media/2017/05/01/adrian-wojnarowski-espn-nba-draft?xid=socialflow_facebook_si)? Hmmmm.

Cheaper? Louder?

snowdenscold
05-01-2017, 03:45 PM
I think the travel budget plays a role here. Or, put another way, if the tournaments in Indian Wells, Miami, Cincinnati, and Canada were on clay, I think ESPN would probably still televise them. And if the tournaments in Monte Carlo, Madrid, and Rome were on hardcourt, ESPN probably still doesn't televise them.

Great news about the tennis team. I like them, too.

That's probably a factor when sending their ESPN team, but then again, they send a huge crew to both Melbourne and Wimbledon. But OTOH, they have full rights of coverage at those from first to last ball, whereas during the past years when they were covering the French Open, they only got weekday coverage, having to punt to NBC or CBS for the weekends (including the semis and finals). So when they were doing the FO, there was no studio booth, and thus not much analysis, commentary and interviews. Just a couple matches and they were done.

However, in regards to MC, Madrid and Rome - for the past several years I was able to get the ATP Media Stream off ESPN3, which meant they were only paying for re-broadcasting rights, as that production (including Koenig and Goodall/Lester as announcers) was happening either way. It didn't feature any of the regular ESPN Tennis crew. I got a couple of those events in February (I think ATP 500 hardcourt stuff outside the U.S.), but looks like they dropped the European clay court spring entirely this year.

throatybeard
05-01-2017, 04:03 PM
At what point do they start losing viewers because of a failure to provide actual content? Inane opinion TV may be cheap to produce, but doesn't it just accelerate people's tuning out?

kAzE
05-01-2017, 04:08 PM
At what point do they start losing viewers because of a failure to provide actual content? Inane opinion TV may be cheap to produce, but doesn't it just accelerate people's tuning out?

The content that everyone is interested in are actual live games/events, and SportsCenter/highlights, so as long as they stick to that, they'll keep plenty of viewers. Less talking heads shouting hot takes + more actual sports = good.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-01-2017, 04:11 PM

I would tend to agree with you, but there are apparently people out there who watch this garbage. I am not clear as to why various Fox News programming is included in this ranking, but it gives a sense of the ratings these shows draw - First Take is pretty high on the list. I was happy to see Pardon the Interruption, a personal favorite, much higher.

https://sportstvratings.com/pardon-the-interruption-rangers-canadiens-around-the-horn-top-cable-sports-tv-ratings-for-friday-april-14-2017/7975/

I do not like the direction that ESPN, and most forms of media, are going in, encouraging hot takes vs thoughtful commentary. But there are a lot of smart people with a lot of data working at these companies, and they are trying to make as much money as possible, journalistic quality be damned.

Merlindevildog91
05-02-2017, 10:16 AM
Ed Werder is involved with the Doomsday Podcast, which (I assume) is mostly Cowboys-related. This week's episode is the second, and I listened to part of it to see what he might say about his situation.

He said he had an inkling of what might happen when, at the end of the NFL season, Chris Mortenson told him ESPN would be laying people off and the "quality of work was not going to be a consideration."

Last week he was in New Orleans to cover the Saints on draft day. He said that he received a text to call his boss, and when he did, his boss had an HR representative in his/her office. He said they told him he was being laid off, effective immediately, but would he be willing to stay and cover the Saints draft for them.

He also said as it currently stands, ESPN is honoring their contracts, but if anyone finds a job at a lower salary, there will be no setoff.

He was pretty measured in his comments, but it is clear that he is very unhappy.

Merlindevildog91
05-02-2017, 10:50 AM
http://awfulannouncing.com/espn/edwerder.html

Here is a written version of this.

sammy3469
05-02-2017, 11:00 AM
Ed Werder is involved with the Doomsday Podcast, which (I assume) is mostly Cowboys-related. This week's episode is the second, and I listened to part of it to see what he might say about his situation.

He said he had an inkling of what might happen when, at the end of the NFL season, Chris Mortenson told him ESPN would be laying people off and the "quality of work was not going to be a consideration."

Last week he was in New Orleans to cover the Saints on draft day. He said that he received a text to call his boss, and when he did, his boss had an HR representative in his/her office. He said they told him he was being laid off, effective immediately, but would he be willing to stay and cover the Saints draft for them.

He also said as it currently stands, ESPN is honoring their contracts, but if anyone finds a job at a lower salary, there will be no setoff.

He was pretty measured in his comments, but it is clear that he is very unhappy.

There's more on their contract status here:

ESPN agreed to pay out full contracts, which in some cases lasted more than five years. Several reporters offered to continue working through their contracts without incurring expenses, but they were told they couldn’t.

Talent that had contracts were told that they were still employees of ESPN on payroll, but they no longer worked for the company. Many have non-compete clauses in their deals, which means they can’t report their beats, even on social media, until their contracts end or they are released. In order to get around the non-compete clauses, they would have to report on entirely different beats than the ones they spent years developing at ESPN.

So they give these guys big contracts because FS1 is around. Many of these guys sign long contracts for big money. ESPN then fires them and tells them to take a pay cut with a competitor if they want to have a career. There's something very wrong with ESPN not releasing these guys outright. I get they are a business, but these reporters are paying for ESPNs bad judgment.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/05/01/Media/ESPN.aspx

Pghdukie
05-02-2017, 12:54 PM
There's more on their contract status here:

So they give these guys big contracts because FS1 is around. Many of these guys sign long contracts for big money. ESPN then fires them and tells them to take a pay cut with a competitor if they want to have a career. There's something very wrong with ESPN not releasing these guys outright. I get they are a business, but these reporters are paying for ESPNs bad judgment.

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2017/05/01/Media/ESPN.aspx
I had asked about non-compete clauses up-thread. Thanks for clarification.