PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Duke 11, Marquette 7

burnspbesq
04-22-2017, 12:56 PM
Important game for Duke in terms of RPI, tournament seeding, and carrying momentum into next week's ACC Tournament.

Marquette is a good team, and it's a safe bet that they haven't forgotten what Duke did to them last year. They are likely to come out of the gate on fire, and if they get an early lead, Duke's resilience will be tested.

Chicago 1995
04-22-2017, 01:07 PM
Just sat down at Valley Fields here in Milwaukee.

Chicago 1995 Jr. and I cheering on the Devils in person!

Chicago 1995
04-22-2017, 01:28 PM
3 - 1 good guys after kind of a sloppy first quarter.

burnspbesq
04-22-2017, 01:31 PM
Marquette's defense was OK, except for losing track of Lowrie twice. nice end-to-end tranition goal from Cerrone.

Marquette flipeed DiMichei and mcNamara, its two best attackment, to midfield. Van Raaphors was slow to recover to McNamara on the Marquette goal, but other than that, Duke has been solid.

burnspbesq
04-22-2017, 02:02 PM
Duke leads, 5-3, at the half. Boath keepers have been good. Marquette is keeping Guterding and Bruckner under control by being slow to slide, and the Duke mids aren't dominating their matchups.

Henderson
04-22-2017, 02:24 PM
For alumni interested in the perception of Duke University, does anyone have a demographic breakdown of NCAA Division I Lacrosse participation?

MarkD83
04-22-2017, 02:29 PM
All you need to do is listen to the accents of the players. Being from the northeast they soun very familiar. That being said that is also where the best high school lacrosse is played

Native
04-22-2017, 02:33 PM
For alumni interested in the perception of Duke University, does anyone have a demographic breakdown of NCAA Division I Lacrosse participation?

No hard numbers here, but expect it to skew highly towards the Mid-Atlantic and Northeast, with some Canadians, Californians, and Midwesterners thrown in there for good measure.

burnspbesq
04-22-2017, 02:42 PM
Teams trade three-goal runs in the third. Big penalty kill by Duke late in the quarter (terrible call, BTW).

Duke leads by two going to Q4. Time for some big-boy lacrosse.

burnspbesq
04-22-2017, 03:13 PM
On a day when Duke really wasn't very good, they were good enough to win, 11-7.

Collective game ball to the Duke short-stick defensive midfielders, each of whom owned his matchups, Guterding showed up at the right time. Fowler was solid.

burnspbesq
04-22-2017, 03:35 PM
ND 14, UNC 13. Irish play Duke and UNC plays Cuse on Friday night at Koskinen.

Cuse is really struggling against Binghamton, which is probably the most improved team in the country this year. 7-7 with three seconds in the third quarter,

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-22-2017, 03:57 PM
Satisfying win. Enjoyed the interviews post game. Go Duke!
Love,Ima

burnspbesq
04-22-2017, 04:03 PM
Molloy makes a ridiculous save with six seconds left, and Cuse wins another one-goal game.

Indoor66
04-22-2017, 04:21 PM
The ACC games are on ESPNU starting at 6 PM. Anyone know who plays first?

DST Fan
04-22-2017, 04:31 PM
The ACC games are on ESPNU starting at 6 PM. Anyone know who plays first?

Cuse v. UNC is the first game. Duke v. ND is scheduled to start at 8:30.

Chicago 1995
04-22-2017, 04:37 PM
Fun game and worth the drive up from the Northern Burbs.

Seemed like Marquette won most of the 50/50 balls and that did a good job limiting Duke's possessions. Defensively, it took Duke a while, but eventually they picked Marquette apart.

Like it was said above, not Duke's best showing, but plenty good to win today. Good crowd at Marquette, and a good bit of Duke Blue in the crowd.

Indoor66
04-22-2017, 04:53 PM
Cuse v. UNC is the first game. Duke v. ND is scheduled to start at 8:30.

Thanks.

budwom
04-22-2017, 05:42 PM
CBS did a good job with the postgame as they had time for interviews with Fowler and Guterding...and then Danowski...not our best
effort, but as the coach said, we had a lot going on....road game, looming exams, different style of play, and the grass was evidently different (probably beer fed).

It's amazing how many really good frosh and sophs are getting a lot of playing time...

TKG
04-22-2017, 06:24 PM
ND 14, UNC 13. Irish play Duke and UNC plays Cuse on Friday night at Koskinen.

Cuse is really struggling against Binghamton, which is probably the most improved team in the country this year. 7-7 with three seconds in the third quarter,

Amazed that UNCheat can make the NCAAT with 6-7 overall record and a 1-3 record in conference.

DST Fan
04-22-2017, 06:52 PM
Amazed that UNCheat can make the NCAAT with 6-7 overall record and a 1-3 record in conference.

Keep in mind that UNC went into the NCAA tournament last year as an 8-6 bubble team and won the tournament. The field is wide open this year. There has been a constant shuffling all season of the #1 team in the polls. The current #1, Syracuse, has won eight one-goal games, three in OT. The current #2, Maryland, lost today in OT at Ohio State. If the Tarheels win the ACC tournament, which they must do to be eligible for the NCAAs, I think they are in the tournament. Their RPI is good and will improve in the ACC tournament, if they win out.

buddy
04-22-2017, 09:18 PM
Anybody else notice that the "scorer" (I guess scorekeeper) was Corey Maggette? Probably not THAT Corey Maggette.

budwom
04-23-2017, 08:51 AM

How do you know they made the NCAAT? That hasn't happened yet.

MCFinARL
04-23-2017, 11:08 AM
How do you know they made the NCAAT? That hasn't happened yet.

Well, I think the operative word is "can." At first I read that post the way you did, but then I realized the OP probably meant the UNC is still potentially eligible to make the tournament, which is true.

TKG
04-23-2017, 02:32 PM
Well, I think the operative word is "can." At first I read that post the way you did, but then I realized the OP probably meant the UNC is still potentially eligible to make the tournament, which is true.

Yep. Poor word choice on my part. Thanks to MCFinARL for the skate save -- and a beauty.

DST Fan
04-24-2017, 08:51 AM
Quint Kessenich has Duke ranked #2 this morning on Inside Lacrosse. Go figure.

burnspbesq
04-24-2017, 09:07 AM

It's not that much of a stretch. We're number one in analyticslacrosse.com's PWE-based rankings. We're number one in adjusted efficiency margin, and that number (14.3 percent difference between offense and defense) borders on ridiculous. Lare-season runs by Loyola and Air Force have given our RPI a boost. However you compile your list of teams that can win it all, we're on it.

MCFinARL
04-24-2017, 11:58 AM
It's not that much of a stretch. We're number one in analyticslacrosse.com's PWE-based rankings. We're number one in adjusted efficiency margin, and that number (14.3 percent difference between offense and defense) borders on ridiculous. Lare-season runs by Loyola and Air Force have given our RPI a boost. However you compile your list of teams that can win it all, we're on it.

And even the media poll ranks Duke #3 now, since Maryland's loss to Ohio State. As Burns points out, Loyola is now a top 20 win, and Air Force is a less bad loss than it used to be. And Duke's other two losses are to the #1 and #2 ranked teams, who are #1 and #8 in the RPI.

Still important games ahead, though, especially in terms of earning a first-round home game. At least one ACC tournament win would help, and the closing regular season game against BU is a much bigger challenge than it would have been in previous years. BU is currently ranked 18, with a #15 RPI.

burnspbesq
04-24-2017, 01:40 PM

Arguably even stranger that Quint has the Cheaters at number 11. He's the last believer in them.

TKG
04-24-2017, 01:47 PM
Arguably even stranger that Quint has the Cheaters at number 11. He's the last believer in them.

Stranger still, despite his #11 ranking for the Cheats, QK comments that the Cheats must win the ACCT to get an at-large bid to the NCAAT.

MCFinARL
04-24-2017, 02:46 PM
Stranger still, despite his #11 ranking for the Cheats, QK comments that the Cheats must win the ACCT to get an at-large bid to the NCAAT.

Well, yes, but that is literally true. If they do not win the ACC tournament, they will have a losing record--either 6-8 if they lose their opener or 7-8 if they lose the final--and thus they will be ineligible for tournament consideration.