PDA

View Full Version : Open Practice

allenmurray
10-17-2007, 09:35 PM
The Open Practice for the Blue Devils was very interesting.

Gerald Henderson showed that he will defiiatley be the most improved player on the team this year. He has great foot speed and incredible movement away from the ball.

Brian Zoubek is still very unefficient in the paint and is so off balanced when driving to the goal. He also is racking up those Frequent Flyer Miles by traveling so much.

The team's main threat will be Kyle Singler, who is the best all-around player on the team this year, this should be a great year and I can not wait till I leave for Maui on Nov 16th,

GO TO HELL CAROLINA!!!!!!!!!!!

lavell12
10-17-2007, 09:52 PM
ya i'm afraid the loss of mcroberts will be a lot more then what everyone thought. we have no post players that threatin the opposition. mcroberts would be great if he stayed b/c his athelteisism would feed off the rest of this run-n-gun team.

Fish80
10-17-2007, 09:54 PM
Zoubek's foot injury set him back a bit. He'll need some time to get back into game shape. Let him work on his game and let's see how he does in December and January. He's a really smart guy and a hard worker. He'll get there.

eran
10-17-2007, 10:07 PM
Ok, I'm confused now. In a previous thread Watzone pointed out that the Open practice would be the Friday before the Blue / White game, so I wrote down Oct 26 on my schedule... I heard nothing about an additional open practice.

Did I miss something here? Is there still an open practice likely to be held on the 26th before the Blue / White game?

Thanks!

Eran

OZZIE4DUKE
10-17-2007, 11:49 PM
Did I miss something here? Is there still an open practice likely to be held on the 26th before the Blue / White game?

Yup, that's when it is - Oct. 26. So the Iron Dukes have said.

Troublemaker
10-18-2007, 12:06 AM
10/26 is the official public open practice. Every now and then, though, they will open practice to a private audience. I think the original post was referencing a practice that was open to school employees. Still, the post could either be a parody or a cut-and-paste from someone else because the tone is atypical of the poster.

MCragg
10-18-2007, 07:50 AM
Yesterday's practice was open to Duke Employees, Blue Devil Club and auction winners for the radiothon for the Duke Children's Hospital. The practice on the 26th is open to everyone - and we hope it will be a great crowd.

ACCBBallFan
10-18-2007, 08:00 AM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/index.php?title=snuck_into_duke_practice_on_tuesda y&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1

TillyGalore
10-18-2007, 09:03 AM
I was at the practice, and at the risk of being edited for negativity, was a little disappointed, mind you I have high expectations. In typical Duke fashion it took a while for them to get into the groove; the practice was a series of scrimmages, thus they looked much better toward the end. As allenmurray noted, Kyle was a standout, and Taylor King looked pretty good too.

My consolation is that this is the first week of practice with coaches AND they will improve as the season goes forward.

duketaylor
10-18-2007, 09:43 AM
For a first report of a practice that's about as limited an amount of info as I can imagine. Not even a word about two of our frosh? Nolan Smith may end up our starting PG at some point and he doesn't even get mentioned. Wow!! I've read he totally shut down Paulus. Singler easily outscored everybody else and played a lot at the high post and is an excellent passer and ballhandler. He can play anyqhwere on the floor.
Zoubek simply needs to get back in shape before a fair assessment can be done; he's put on 22 lbs.
I expect our starters to be: Singler, Paulus, Scheyer, Nelson and Henderson. And they will be running. This will be a fun team to watch.

Jumbo
10-18-2007, 10:05 AM
I'll caution everyone to avoid reading too much into an individual practice. Even more than games, practices are tough to decipher, and performance varies greatly from one day to the next.

TillyGalore
10-18-2007, 10:07 AM
I'll caution everyone to avoid reading too much into an individual practice. Even more than games, practices are tough to decipher, and performance varies greatly from one day to the next.

You're absolutely right!

Stray Gator
10-18-2007, 10:44 AM
Yesterday's practice was open to Duke Employees, Blue Devil Club and auction winners for the radiothon for the Duke Children's Hospital. The practice on the 26th is open to everyone - and we hope it will be a great crowd.

Thanks, Mike! We appreciate the information, and hope you'll continue to clarify and keep us informed when appropriate.

OldPhiKap
10-18-2007, 11:02 AM
ya i'm afraid the loss of mcroberts will be a lot more then what everyone thought. we have no post players that threatin the opposition. mcroberts would be great if he stayed b/c his athelteisism would feed off the rest of this run-n-gun team.

I've blacked out large parts of last year, but my recollection is that McBob preferred to float around the outside. When he was on the blocks, he did that little running half-hook thing that was great when it worked but not when it didn't.

If he had come back, I would not expect that he would be grinding it out on the low blocks.

Ignatius07
10-18-2007, 12:20 PM
I actually think we would have been a lot better if we had run last year with McRoberts on the roster. We all know that his low-block offensive repertoire was limited at best, but I think he would have been deadly if used more often on the break. With his height and dribbling ability, he could have taken more high percentage shots (his trademark dunks and other close shots) than he ended up doing, fumbling around in the post. Now if you have Zoubek playing, it will be more difficult to do this, although I think big Z runs pretty well for a 7 footer.

eran
10-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Yesterday's practice was open to Duke Employees...

Thats too bad - I've recently switched onto the Duke Employee payroll and didn't hear about this practice being open. I'm ready for the 26th though!

TillyGalore
10-18-2007, 12:30 PM
Thats too bad - I've recently switched onto the Duke Employee payroll and didn't hear about this practice being open. I'm ready for the 26th though!

Here is a link to an article about the Employee Pass. It's something offered every year. I don't think it's too late to buy the pass, I think you'll get tix to the remaining two football games and the women's basketball games.

http://news.duke.edu/2007/06/athleticpass._print.ht

NovaScotian
10-18-2007, 02:24 PM
does anyone know what time the practice is on the 26th?

lavell12
10-18-2007, 02:28 PM
I actually think we would have been a lot better if we had run last year with McRoberts on the roster. We all know that his low-block offensive repertoire was limited at best, but I think he would have been deadly if used more often on the break. With his height and dribbling ability, he could have taken more high percentage shots (his trademark dunks and other close shots) than he ended up doing, fumbling around in the post. Now if you have Zoubek playing, it will be more difficult to do this, although I think big Z runs pretty well for a 7 footer.

i agree somewhat we should have run more last year but the problem with that is the lack of depth on last years roster. remeber the game at cameron in the first thirty minutes we ran UNC right out the gym but in the last ten the team was so shot b/c the lack of depth it cost us the game. if we would of had the depth that we have now we would have won that game.

MCragg
10-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Practice on the 26th is at 4:30 pm. The practice for Employees - was, indeed, for the Employee Pass purchasers. Next Friday is open to everyone!

Everyone should also take note that the following day - we are going to have our first ever "Duke Game Day" at 4:30 pm in Krzyzewskiville prior to the Blue/White game. It's going to be a lot of fun and a chance for all of our fans to warm up with their fellow Crazies. Matthew Laurance is set to host the fun and we are excited to have Joanne McCallie and the women's team out for the pregame action as well. Doors open at 5:30 for Blue/White.