PDA

View Full Version : The Carolina Way

MarkD83
04-17-2017, 06:23 PM
This is definitely old news but I was surprised it was reported on ES (UNC) PN.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19180813/ex-nfl-agent-pleads-guilty-multi-year-north-carolina-tar-heels-sports-agent-probe

rocketeli
04-17-2017, 08:40 PM
they like it because it suits their narrative, it was only a few rogues, it's over, and we were already punished

Newton_14
04-17-2017, 09:11 PM
Just another example in the very long list of examples of what the Carolina Way really means.

No integrity. Cheat as much as possible across all sports, while not even pretending to even have academics. Just put'em all in that fake curriculum we set up, have a secretary give them A's and B's at the end of each "semester", while having all athlete's spend all day everyday training in their sport. The only purpose these athlete's serve here is to win us ball games so we can hang as many banners as possible chasing championships.

Hook them up with Fats to get them whichever sports car they wish to drive, and should they get any tickets on campus, just have the "tutor" pay the tickets using the Rams Club slush fund for "athlete vehicle program".

Oh and make sure the guys who are good enough to play in the NBA are "taken care of" so they hang around until their Jr and Sr seasons and help us win championships. Our "program" can take care of all their financial needs until they exhaust their eligibility and can openly get paid in the NBA...

duke80
04-17-2017, 10:51 PM
Just another example in the very long list of examples of what the Carolina Way really means.

No integrity. Cheat as much as possible across all sports, while not even pretending to even have academics. Just put'em all in that fake curriculum we set up, have a secretary give them A's and B's at the end of each "semester", while having all athlete's spend all day everyday training in their sport. The only purpose these athlete's serve here is to win us ball games so we can hang as many banners as possible chasing championships.

Hook them up with Fats to get them whichever sports car they wish to drive, and should they get any tickets on campus, just have the "tutor" pay the tickets using the Rams Club slush fund for "athlete vehicle program".

Oh and make sure the guys who are good enough to play in the NBA are "taken care of" so they hang around until their Jr and Sr seasons and help us win championships. Our "program" can take care of all their financial needs until they exhaust their eligibility and can openly get paid in the NBA...

Newton. Are you sure you are not holding back? Kidding of course. There are probably many people shaking their heads. How do you hold someone accountable when their only goal is to escape accountability? I'm surprised that more people aren't taking UNC to task for trying to confound, confuse, and sow whatever doubt they can into the process. Also, they have convinced me and probably many others that if there is any significant penalties against BB they are going to take this to court. I think they are going to change the landscape of college athletics because they are not willing to play by the rules they previously agreed to. If people aren't held accountable for abusing the rules then the system breaks down. I happen to really like college basketball. and hope this doesn't ruin it. However, it seems that UNC has definitely thrown the gauntlet down. I think it is up to a panel of their peers, hello COI, or more universities to call them out like the president of Maryland did. Otherwise, the stink is too great. IMO the best way to housebreak a dog it to make them smell their own mess. Sorry if that's too graphic.

UrinalCake
04-17-2017, 11:04 PM

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/19180813/ex-nfl-agent-pleads-guilty-multi-year-north-carolina-tar-heels-sports-agent-probe

The initial charges occurred three years ago, but the recent development that occurred today is that the guy who was charged with providing benefits as an agent - Terry Watson - pleaded guilty to the charges. I don't exactly know what has been happening for the past three years or why this has taken so long, but apparently this will provide closure to the case. No real impact to the CHeats as far as I can tell, as they have already been penalized for this.

sagegrouse
04-17-2017, 11:38 PM
The initial charges occurred three years ago, but the recent development that occurred today is that the guy who was charged with providing benefits as an agent - Terry Watson - pleaded guilty to the charges. I don't exactly know what has been happening for the past three years or why this has taken so long, but apparently this will provide closure to the case. No real impact to the CHeats as far as I can tell, as they have already been penalized for this.

Merely the hors d'oeuvres. Now I am ready for the main course.

TKG
04-18-2017, 07:31 AM
Merely the hors d'oeuvres. Now I am ready for the main course.

I hope your Plutarch quote comes to pass sooner rather than later.

Duke95
04-18-2017, 07:51 AM
This is a ridiculous law and has nothing to do with UNC. I've been a staunch critic of UNC and the shameful way the athletic department and administration have handled the decades-long fraud, but don't conflate that case with this preposterous agent law.

The NCAA essentially got the state of NC to pass a law that makes violating its bylaws illegal. Think about that for a second. The NCAA is a cartel whose anti-competitive have run afoul of the Sherman Antitrust Act, and now it is able to enforce its actions through legal means, courtesy of this law.

PackMan97
04-18-2017, 07:51 AM
MO the best way to housebreak a dog it to make them smell their own mess. Sorry if that's too graphic.

Not nearly graphic enough for the pile of it over in Chapel Hill.

I would think the very last thing that UNC wants is to take anything to court. Right now, they aren't compelled to do anything or say anything during their "internal" investigations or NCAA review process. It gets to a court of law and all of a sudden penalties for destroying, misplacing, forgetting about emails and evidence become very very real. Not to mention with the various emails out there as "gotchas", the penality of lying under oath is very real as well.

Can you imagine Crowder answering questions under oath about whether she placed regular students in class to "protect" athletes and avoid "red flags" where there exists an email in which she states she added some regular students so she feels good adding more athletes and to never just do athlete only since it raises to many red flags. Ya...I don't think UNC wants to go there.

weezie
04-18-2017, 09:29 AM
I hope your Plutarch quote comes to pass sooner rather than later.

"Plutarch" just try searching for that on ick-holeina sites. Love it.

FerryFor50
04-18-2017, 10:33 AM

Gotta love swift justice - for the agents that broke the state law.

Meanwhile, UNC is still skating and winning championships. That seems fair.

bluebeagle
04-18-2017, 11:24 AM
When I think about the "carolina way" I get the same feeling I get when I step into one of those nasty port-a-johns at some outdoor event. Filthy and disgusting. Maybe all the other teams should refuse to play them. The players there now probably didn't cheat, that we know of, but they are there as a direct result of the cheats having a winning program over the years.

Devil549
04-21-2017, 09:47 PM
What the Carolina Way means to me:
1- Look the other way
2- Do as we say not as we do
3- When we make mistakes we correct them but you can not penalize us
4- DES and Roy knew/know what goes on with their teams but that is their business

I could go on all night but we all know it is a bunch of bull crap!!!!

camion
04-21-2017, 10:31 PM
What the Carolina Way means to me:
1- Look the other way
2- Do as we say not as we do
3- When we make mistakes we correct them but you can not penalize us
4- DES and Roy knew/know what goes on with their teams but that is their business

I could go on all night but we all know it is a bunch of bull crap!!!!

Bart Simpson crystallized it:
I didn't do it. No one saw me do it. You can't prove anything.