PDA

View Full Version : User Tips!

dbr
02-23-2007, 10:51 PM
As you guys discover the features in this system, please post all tips in one thread. thanks!

OZZIE4DUKE
02-23-2007, 10:57 PM
Hey guys, let's post all discoveries in one thread so they're easy to track.

I'm still looking for the icon that looks like two mountains with a sun over it :)

9F GTHC!

AluminumDuke
02-23-2007, 11:11 PM
http://www.bluehealers.org/help.jpg

BCGroup
02-24-2007, 08:31 AM
Is that you can send private messages! That was such a nice feature in the past, so I'm really happy to find it here. I discovered if I clicked on a person's name/user name, I could:

View public profile
Send email
View all postings
Add to buddy list.

Nice!

JBDuke
02-24-2007, 11:50 PM
Okay - tried to put an image in my sig, but it is not allowed, apparently. Also, when I did post, the sig didn't show. Hmmm.

Okay, got the sig to post - forgot to save it after previewing - d'oh!. But my "signature permission" panel say that images and animated gifs (like BluBones's dancing skeleton) arent' permitted in sig files. Do you guys want to allow this?

Boswell
02-25-2007, 09:07 AM
Here's another thing I'm trying to figure out. I went in the Admin Board as dbr and set the default for the clock to be EST (-500 GMT) from the GMT setting. When I sign out and go to the forums, it looks good. When I sign in as "Boswell," though, I'm back on the GMT setting. I cleared the cookies (or thought I did), so I'm not sure why this is happening.

OK, I figured it out: Go to Quick Links>Edit Options>Date & Time Options and set for your appropriate time zone.

BluBones
02-25-2007, 09:19 AM
I created a calendar event for the women's game today. It's kinda cool that anyone can create a calendar event, but I wonder if you'd want to limit that going forward. Or maybe I'm wrong... maybe I just created a calendar event that only I can see. Can anyone else see the women's game in the calendar?

--BluBones
http://www.sportsstats.com/images/blubones.gif

Stray Gator
02-25-2007, 10:23 AM
Blu,

I see the women's game entry you posted on the calendar. Maybe the admins should, when time permits, enter the remaining schedule of games and the tourney dates and other important events (like the basketball banquets) on the calendar--in fact, since you've figured it out, why don't you volunteer to do it? :D

Stray ~~~;~~;~ http://mudlizard.com/users/icons/emoticons/chomp.gif

BluBones
02-25-2007, 08:22 PM
Blu,

in fact, since you've figured it out, why don't you volunteer to do it? :D

Stray ~~~;~~;~ http://mudlizard.com/users/icons/emoticons/chomp.gif

I tried to do just that, but now I've lost my right to change the calendar. ;-)

--BluBones
http://www.sportsstats.com/images/blubones.gif

Boswell
02-26-2007, 02:01 PM
Do you mean the sigs? They aren't working. To sign a post with an animated sig I have to enter it manually. By default, putting any image at all in a sig seems to be forbidden. If you could give users the right to automatically have images or animations appear in sigs it would rock.

BluBones-

I changed the settings so you should now be able to post images in signatures automatically.

- Boswell

throatybeard
02-26-2007, 04:36 PM
Yo, does anyone know how to work avatars? I notice that BluBones has his...blue bones down in his sig.

DankeShane
02-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Yo, does anyone know how to work avatars? I notice that BluBones has his...blue bones down in his sig.

I'm wondering if they turned off the ability for non mods to have images in their signature? I'm having no luck getting one to work either...

Edit: Yeah, if you look down in the permissions box under your sig edit stuff we get the big X for the image options.

Rich
02-26-2007, 05:31 PM
New board is excellent. Is there a way to identify posts that I've already read (like James's old board with the change in background color)?

Boswell
02-26-2007, 07:19 PM
I'm wondering if they turned off the ability for non mods to have images in their signature? I'm having no luck getting one to work either...

Edit: Yeah, if you look down in the permissions box under your sig edit stuff we get the big X for the image options.

Let me work on that. I thought I had turned on the ability to post images in signatures, but I guess it didn't work. I'm still learning all the admin features myself. Right now, the avatar option is turned off (as feldspar requested).

Boswell
02-26-2007, 10:07 PM
Ok, I think you should be able to do an image in your sig but don't use html codes as that won't work. If you use the [IMG] function, it should. Off to work on posts per page.... Be back soon.

throatybeard
02-26-2007, 10:22 PM
In your control panel, you can adjust the number of posts per page that you see. I've got mine set on 30.

SavannahDevil
02-27-2007, 12:50 PM
When you want to post a link, you can give the link a name rather than posting the whole url.

First click the little globe with the chain link. A pop up box will appear. Enter your link in the box and click accept.
After you enter the url in the pop up box, it will appear in your post like this-

URL="http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/"]http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/[/URL]

Simply change the script after the first set of brackets (in red) to the name you want for your link (in red below). It should look like this-

URL="http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/"]DBR[/URL]

Your link will look like this in your finished post - DBR (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/)

;) Happy linking!

EDIT - I intentionally removed the first bracket of the link scripts so that you can see the text I was referring to.

Jarhead
02-28-2007, 12:33 PM
After making a post there is an edit link at the bottom of your posted message. That's a nice feature.

Turtleboy
02-28-2007, 07:57 PM
As Charles noted, there are some restrictions for general users.

The board is set up around groups. Most of you are in the usergroup. Our goal is to have several moderators, which comes with a higher level of options, like editing the calendar, editing offensive posts, banning users when necessary, etc.

We've asked a couple of people to be moderators, but anyone who is posting as of sunday who wants to be one can be one, and we could use the help. Just let us know. We'll probably be creating another forum just for moderators as well.Here is a way to help the mods. That little red triangle in the upper right corner, right beside the post number, is a "report this post" button.

BluBones
03-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Here is a way to help the mods. That little red triangle in the upper right corner, right beside the post number, is a "report this post" button.

And let me add that using this button is VERY helpful.

DankeShane
03-01-2007, 05:35 PM
Here's a tip - if you're going to be a stat geek, go the extra mile and wrap your stuff with courier new or something. If you turn on the option in your settings for WYSWYG or whatever you can actually see the courier instead of the tags on either side, which is nice for editing.

OFFENSIVE REBOUNDS
## Player-Team Cl G No. Avg/G
-----------------------------------------------------
1.Dwayne Collins-UM........FR 29 93 3.21
2.Jared Dudley-BC..........SR 25 78 3.12
3.Al Thornton-FS...........SR 29 90 3.10
4.Tyler Hansbrough-NC......SO 29 87 3.00
5.Trevor Booker-CU.........FR 29 84 2.90
6.Kyle Visser-WF...........SR 28 80 2.86
7.James Mays-CU............JR 29 82 2.83
8.Ekene Ibekwe-MD..........SR 29 77 2.66
9.Ben McCauley-ST..........SO 28 68 2.43
10.Thaddeus Young-GT........FR 27 64 2.37

Go to your User CP >> "options" >> at the very bottom of the screen is something that lets you modify the viewing options, chose the WYSIWYK thing.

Then if you change your font to courier new you will actually see what the font looks like as you type it and it's easier to make things spaced evenly.

Cavlaw
03-01-2007, 08:35 PM
The profile pic is not the same thing as an avatar. Your profile pic will only show up in your profile, it is the avatar that shows up in your posts. So, you just have to upload it to the other place.

As an aside, it looks like the pic you uploaded is animated, which is not allowed in an avatar (but apparently ok in a profile pic).

Highlander
03-02-2007, 09:48 AM
Is there a way to go directly to new or unread messages rather than having to guess where I left off last time I looked? Edit: Never mind, I see it now.

When you open a thread, look at the title bar of the first post. If there is an unread message, the note "View first unread" is highlighted. Clicking it takes you to the proper place in the thread.

DankeShane
03-04-2007, 09:21 PM
What is the policy on linking images from those free upload hosting sites? A few times when I've tried linking to them I get a little error message saying something about not being allowed to use that host. Are we supposed to be using the attachment option for doing pictures?

Jarhead
03-08-2007, 11:34 AM
OK, I figured it out: Go to Quick Links>Edit Options>Date & Time Options and set for your appropriate time zone.

Bos, I did as you suggest, last night. I set mine to EST (GMT-5) but now everything is off by one hour. It is now 11:34 AM, and when I post this it will have a 1 hour error.

JBDuke
03-08-2007, 04:06 PM
If you haven't found it yet, one of the really cool features of this new system is the Search.

You can search entire forums or entire threads for a word or set of words. Just look on the right side of one of the banners at the top of either the forum or the thread.

It works quickly and very well. I'd highly recommend using it before starting a new thread, to see if maybe someone's already started a thread on the same subject - just maybe not with the title you were planning to use.

Cavlaw
03-21-2007, 08:54 AM
Aha! There is an ignore button on the new board system!...

Err, sorry, that wasn't a reference to anyone posting above. I just wasn't sure where else to celebrate the discovery. Carry on, nothing to see here!

Troublemaker
07-20-2007, 12:03 PM
Got a question and hopefully someone can offer me a tip ;-)

Is there any way to stay logged in forever? I know it's not much of a hassle to re-login every time I visit the forum but at the same time, it'd be great if I could just stay logged in when I leave the site. Especially those times when I'm only away for like half an hour before the next reload.

gep
07-20-2007, 01:17 PM
Is there any way to stay logged in forever? I know it's not much of a hassle to re-login every time I visit the forum but at the same time, it'd be great if I could just stay logged in when I leave the site. Especially those times when I'm only away for like half an hour before the next reload.

Interesting... I don't know about "forever", but I've been logged in on 3 different computers and haven't had to re-log in each time I start a computer since this new board started. When logging in, there's a check box to "remember me"... or something like that. Maybe cookies also need to be activated on your computer... but I really don't know how that works.

Indoor66
07-20-2007, 02:24 PM
I too have been logged in on 3 computers without problem.

Also I am trying to get to 300 posts to see how my status chages. :D

TillyGalore
07-20-2007, 03:34 PM
I've logged into two DBR windows on the same computer.