PDA

View Full Version : Cocktails

nmduke2001
04-14-2017, 03:23 PM
I figured cocktails is as good of an off-season topic as any.

What are your favorites?

I like a good, refreshing mojito on a hot summer day. If you enjoy a mojito you should try it's Brazilian cousin, Caipirinha. This drink uses Brazilian rum called Cachaça.

I'm pretty much willing to try any cocktail as long as it doesn't contain vodka (I had a bad experience while at Duke, CDu might remember).

If you have any drinks that we should try, put them here.

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-14-2017, 04:00 PM
French 75. Served in a snifter, not a champagne glass. With a brandied or bourbon cherry if you want something even more interesting.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-14-2017, 04:47 PM
Gin and tonic, in a hammock, at 78 degree temps... yummmm

LegoBatman
04-14-2017, 04:48 PM
Caipirinhas were a regular part of our Olympics viewing this past summer.

My go-to cocktail is the Manhattan. At home I usually make them with either Maker's Mark or Bulleit.

Tripping William
04-14-2017, 08:09 PM
Loved a Godfather (Johnny Walker blended Scotch whiskey and amaretto) in Jamaica a year or so ago. And in NOLa recently I really liked a Southern Gentleman (bourbon, blackberries, a touch of mint and a splash of prosecco).

Damn, I hope this doesn't overtake the Ymmm Beer thread. ;)

devildeac
04-14-2017, 09:23 PM
Loved a Godfather (Johnny Walker blended Scotch whiskey and amaretto) in Jamaica a year or so ago. And in NOLa recently I really liked a Southern Gentleman (bourbon, blackberries, a touch of mint and a splash of prosecco).

It's well on the way as this post is #6 here. :rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
04-14-2017, 09:31 PM
Rain water, grain alcohol.

Purity of essence.

nmduke2001
04-14-2017, 09:53 PM

I was in NOLA recently too. Wish i would have trade that.

Jim3k
04-14-2017, 10:11 PM
A Margarita made by any of the El Cholo (http://elcholo.com/)s in Los Angeles. I first discovered it in 1973 at the Western Avenue location. Haven't found a better margarita since, anywhere.

-jk
04-14-2017, 10:31 PM
Bourbon, a splash of water, and a little ice. Keep it simple. (My grandmother taught me that the "splash of water" part involved turning the water on, holding the glass near it, and wafting some water vapor into the glass. No actual drops of water should make it in, unless it was cask strength bourbon.)

An Old Fashioned if I'm feeling ambitious; I'm rarely that ambitious, though. (My grandmother almost always had some simple syrup ready in the fridge, though.)

If it's really hot out, a Margarita (but only with cracked ice; it's not supposed to be a Margarita slushee - that's for cheap bars) or maybe a Daiquiri (again, it's not a slushee). And you can't use a blender to crack the ice - it adds too much friction and starts to melt the ice. Rather, wrap more than enough ice in a clean dish towel, and hammer away until it's jelly bean size. My grandfather used a large wooden mallet and a large log, standing on end - conveniently set up just outside the kitchen door. He liked cold drinks in the summer.

A Gin and Tonic is nice, too, and I don't think anyone's tried to make slushee out of them yet...

(My grandparents were such giving folks, making sure we knew the proper things!)

-jk

Edouble
04-15-2017, 12:42 AM

My go-to cocktail is the Manhattan. At home I usually make them with either Maker's Mark or Bulleit.

I like a Bulleit Manhattan, a gin martini up with a twist, or a Vesper.

I am surprised at your bourbon preferences, as I think of them as being so different: Maker's is really sweet, whereas Bulleit has a little more punch and bite to it.

moonpie23
04-15-2017, 12:50 AM
A Margarita made by any of the El Cholo (http://elcholo.com/)s in Los Angeles. I first discovered it in 1973 at the Western Avenue location. Haven't found a better margarita since, anywhere.

a margaita made at DISNEY WORLD (yeah....i know).......i had to take i back and ask the girl "what's the green stuff that's NOT tequilla?".......give me some more of that......

they were pretty bad a ss on the Disney cruise ship WONDER as well....

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-15-2017, 01:52 AM
a margaita made at DISNEY WORLD (yeah...i know)....i had to take i back and ask the girl "what's the green stuff that's NOT tequilla?"....give me some more of that...

they were pretty bad a ss on the Disney cruise ship WONDER as well...

How many tens of dollars does a margarita at Disney World cost?

Olympic Fan
04-15-2017, 02:28 AM
I like most of the cocktails mentioned in this thread, including the "slushee" versions of the margarita and the daiquiri.

I prefer a vodka tonic to the gin and tonic. I like a number of vodka based cocktails. (like James Bond, I prefer a vodka martini, shaken, not stirred)

I love a good Hurricane ... lot of bad ones sold in New Orleans. I was amazed how on the street, the basic Hurricane is fairly cheap there, but they charge you for extra shots of rum ... and you need the extra shots, otherwise it's almost a soft drink. Go to Pat O'Briens to get the real thing.

I prefer my bourbon and my scotch on the rocks (with no water added). If it's really good scotch, I'll take it straight up with no ice.

And, I don't know if it qualifies as a cocktail, but I love a little brandy in my coffee.

OldPhiKap
04-15-2017, 05:57 AM
Scotch or Irish whiskey, neat. Couple drops of water to open it up.

If adventurous and in season, mint julep with Maker's Mark and mint from the garden.

Gin and tonic if out being social or it's hot.

rthomas
04-15-2017, 08:31 AM
Wait person: Would you like a cocktail?
Me: I would like a Pierre martini.
Wait person: I haven't heard of that.
Me: Make it so dry that you "pee air".

The waitress always appreciates that one. :)

nmduke2001
04-15-2017, 08:52 AM
I love a good Hurricane ... lot of bad ones sold in New Orleans. I was amazed how on the street, the basic Hurricane is fairly cheap there, but they charge you for extra shots of rum ... and you need the extra shots, otherwise it's almost a soft drink. Go to Pat O'Briens to get the real thing.

I had the same experience in New Orleans last month. I had my first Hurricane at Pat O'Briens and really liked it. The next day, I grabbed a huge one at one of those "big easy daiquiri" places. It was basically punch. I'm pretty sure it didn't have a drop of alcohol. Oh well.

moonpie23
04-15-2017, 09:01 AM
How many tens of dollars does a margarita at Disney World cost?

i think it was $10.......in one of those 16oz cups.....

weezie
04-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Am I correct in assuming that the venerated Bloody Mary, perhaps the most hallowed of cocktails, occupies it's own special niche? If so, the Detroit Athletic Club serves one that is so healing, so forgiving and hangover busting that it makes me shake my head in wonderment? And then the beer chaser brings it all home. Always get back up on the horse that threw you.
Practically a religious experience.

Tripping William
04-15-2017, 09:23 AM
Am I correct in assuming that the venerated Bloody Mary, perhaps the most hallowed of cocktails, occupies it's own special niche? If so, the Detroit Athletic Club serves one that is so healing, so forgiving and hangover busting that it makes me shake my head in wonderment? And then the beer chaser brings it all home. Always get back up on the horse that threw you.
Practically a religious experience.

An absolutely correct assumption, as far as I am concerned. The spicier the better!

FadedTackyShirt
04-15-2017, 09:25 AM
Nawlins seems to cover the gamut of cocktails for me. I suffer from bad cocktail amnesia, so I'll temporarily forget how nasty Sazeracs are until my infrequent returns to NOLA. Do like a token Pat O'Brien's Hurricane. Pimm's Cup on the porch of The Columns on a hot day is the way to go.

Much more into beer and wine, but a spicy Bloody Mary or an Irish Coffee always gets it done.

El Cholo's Margaritas are terrific as are their tamales. The OG location in Koreatown is awesome.

Bless me K for I have sinned, but The Crunkleton on Franklin Street is a cool place with exceptional craft cocktails. Gary Crunkleton is a really nice guy. Opening a spot in CLT this Summer.

luburch
04-15-2017, 02:52 PM
Still love a simple rum and coke.

Mojitos are fantastic when sitting outside by a pool or beach.

Jim3k
04-15-2017, 04:25 PM
El Cholo's Margaritas are terrific as are their tamales. The OG location in Koreatown is awesome.

This is the Western Avenue location.

And, you're right. The tamales are terrific. (Green corn if available.) But so is the entire menu. It is a great Mexican restaurant, a bit upscale.

In a way, I'm sorry they opened more locations (kinda dilutes the legend), but both Western Avenue and Santa Monica have been great for a long time.

In the early 70s, the Western Avenue location made their margaritas in large plastic garbage cans, using canoe paddles to mix. Lotta tequila and a lotta lime juice. Dunno if they still make them that way. Fantastic on the rocks with salted rim and a lime wedge.

Tripping William
04-16-2017, 08:07 PM

And, you're right. The tamales are terrific. (Green corn if available.) But so is the entire menu. It is a great Mexican restaurant, a bit upscale.

In a way, I'm sorry they opened more locations (kinda dilutes the legend), but both Western Avenue and Santa Monica have been great for a long time.

In the early 70s, the Western Avenue location made their margaritas in large plastic garbage cans, using canoe paddles to mix. Lotta tequila and a lotta lime juice. Dunno if they still make them that way. Fantastic on the rocks with salted rim and a lime wedge.

Probably the best margaritas I have ever had were at Iron Cactus on the Riverwalk in San Antonio. The tequila selection there was amazing. On the rocks, with salt on the rim. Fantastic!

nmduke2001
04-16-2017, 08:48 PM
My wife had a mimosa for brunch. She had the waitress hold the orange juice.

Native
04-16-2017, 09:09 PM
Can't go wrong with an Old Fashioned or some Macallan on the rocks in my book.

For the highfalutin crowd, anything they're serving at Employees Only (http://www.employeesonlynyc.com/menus/cocktails) in Manhattan is my favorite.

Particularly:

Mata Hari
Remy Martin 1738 Cognac Shaken with Chai-infused Martini Rosso and Pomegranate Juice, Served Straight Up

Ready Fire Aim
Peleton Mezcal Joven, Fresh Lime Juice, and House-Made Honey-Pineapple Syrup with Dashes of Bittermens Hellfire Bitters

fuse
04-16-2017, 09:20 PM
Wouldn't do it with genuinely good champagne, champagne and st. germain (an elderflower liqueur) makes a pretty refreshing drink.

OldPhiKap
04-17-2017, 07:17 AM
Wouldn't do it with genuinely good champagne, champagne and st. germain (an elderflower liqueur) makes a pretty refreshing drink.

Champagne with crème de cassis is a Kir Royale, while crème de cassis with white wine is a Kir. Both make fine sipping cocktails if you're going Parisian for the afternoon.

Reilly
04-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Champagne with crème de cassis is a Kir Royale, while crème de cassis with white wine is a Kir. Both make fine sipping cocktails if you're going Parisian for the afternoon.

Worked for a moving company one summer, and the main driver would mix cheap rose wine and Sprite over ice -- "spritzers." Not really Parisian, but pretty refreshing after lifting furniture all day in the 100-degree heat.

aimo
04-17-2017, 11:01 AM
You can never go wrong with a margarita, on the rocks, with salt. But I do like the occasional amaretto sour.

freshmanjs
04-17-2017, 01:11 PM
Recently tried to experiment with making Aviation Cocktails. Could not get it right, despite trying several recipes I could find online. Does anyone here know how to make a good one?

gus
04-17-2017, 02:45 PM
the two I always go back to are gin and tonic or margarita (rocks, salt). Lately for me it's gin in a rocks glass, splash of tonic and cucumber.

This weekend I made a cocktail of gin, lemon simple syrup (made as an experiment with just suger, squeezed lemon rinds and time), Cointreau and lime infused soda water.

weezie
04-17-2017, 03:50 PM
Look at you veritable Brian Flanagans! Just mixing, shaking and bottoms-upping it up all over the place!

I'm coming over to all your houses for happy hour.

duketaylor
04-17-2017, 07:06 PM
"My grandfather used a large wooden mallet" but I would use a large wooden badger. Much more effective:cool:

Lancelot would agree!

Being forced next week to try some 18-year old bourbon which sells for an unGodly sum during our Myrtle Beach golf trip, will have a sip.

Drink more beer, but have an occasional nip. Friend at Lake Gaston makes peach moonshine, scary good!!

nmduke2001
04-17-2017, 10:15 PM
Went to a restaurant tonight. I had a shrub. It's a vinegar based drink. Surprisingly refreshing.

devildeac
04-17-2017, 10:30 PM
Went to a restaurant tonight. I had a shrub. It's a vinegar based drink. Surprisingly refreshing.

"Ni!"

OldPhiKap
04-18-2017, 06:59 AM
Was the bartender named Roger, by any chance?

FadedTackyShirt
04-18-2017, 08:52 AM
Being forced next week to try some 18-year old bourbon which sells for an unGodly sum during our Myrtle Beach golf trip, will have a sip.

Drink more beer, but have an occasional nip. Friend at Lake Gaston makes peach moonshine, scary good!!

A liquor store in Silicon Valley sells a couple of bottles of 50 year old Scotch every quarter for a thrifty $36K/bottle.

On the other end of the spectrum, have had peach 'shine (imported from West Virginia) a couple of times. Burned big time going down.

'Shine marinated cherries are much more lethal. Read about them in the classic college football book, "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer", and thought it was an SEC rural myth. Had one at a Tennessee football game in Knoxville and nearly fell over.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-18-2017, 08:56 AM
A liquor store in Silicon Valley sells a couple of bottles of 50 year old Scotch every quarter for a thrifty $36K/bottle.

On the other end of the spectrum, have had peach 'shine (imported from West Virginia) a couple of times. Burned big time going down.

'Shine marinated cherries are much more lethal. Read about them in the classic college football book, "Rammer Jammer Yellow Hammer", and thought it was an SEC rural myth. Had one at a Tennessee football game in Knoxville and nearly fell over.

As a mountain dweller, moonshine might deserve its own thread. Quite a wide range of quality, flavor, and intensity. Best I ever had was purchased from a hippie customer at my store who makes his own. The worst I ever had left you feeling like your insides had been flushed out the next morning - and not in any sort of positive way.

Oh, and of course, any sort of store bought, flavored, super-sweet mess is just an abomination.

Post script: shine cherries are positively amazing

rthomas
04-18-2017, 11:26 AM
My secretary soaks raisins in gin, and says that eating a nicely soaked raisin a day is good for arthritis. She gave me a jar but I have not tried them as I don't have arthritis.

devildeac
04-18-2017, 11:53 AM
My secretary soaks raisins in gin, and says that eating a nicely soaked raisin a day is good for arthritis. She gave me a jar but I have not tried them as I don't have arthritis.

My shoulders and knees have been hurting recently.

Just sayin'...

Reilly
04-18-2017, 12:54 PM

I think they work like the acid reflux pills hawked on tv -- you're supposed to start taking them now, so the condition won't arise.

As for a cocktail: bourbon ginger. As many ice cubes as the highball glass will hold, as much bourbon as my conscience will allow, and in whatever space remains, fill with diet ginger ale. The "diet" part is key due to flavor not health -- it's not as sweet-tasting as regular ginger ale (at least in my mind) and balances better with the bourbon. Precious few bars stock diet ginger ale.

aimo
04-18-2017, 02:08 PM

Nope, not a myth. My uncle used to make them, called them cherry bombs. My cousin owned a bar at the beach, many years ago, sold three in a shot glass for a dollar.

I once made jello shooters with hooch. Took them to a party, WARNED everyone as to what they were. A couple of guys got really, really drunk off them. I felt a little bad, but I DID warn them.

Olympic Fan
04-18-2017, 03:15 PM
Nope, not a myth. My uncle used to make them, called them cherry bombs. My cousin owned a bar at the beach, many years ago, sold three in a shot glass for a dollar.

I once made jello shooters with hooch. Took them to a party, WARNED everyone as to what they were. A couple of guys got really, really drunk off them. I felt a little bad, but I DID warn them.

I had a great uncle who was a revenue agent. He made his living running down stills hidden in the rural areas of North Carolina.

He explained that a lot of moonshine was purified by soaking fruit in it -- which leeched the lead out of the brew. But, he emphasized, it was vital to throw out the fruit -- it was literally poison. But after soaking a pile of cut up peaches in the moonshine, the liquor was safe to drink.

You can make fortified cherries or the like by soaking them in liquor ... but make sure the liquor is the real stuff, not home brewed.

Lid
04-18-2017, 06:07 PM
Most of the year, I'm a Manhattan woman, usually with Redemption rye and orange bitters.

In the summer, I put ginger liqueur (Domaine due Canton) in almost everything, thanks to the corrupting influence of the erstwhile Nana's bartenders. Awesome mixed half and half with Hendrick's, or added to a G and T, or on its own with seltzer water and juice from half of a lime. It makes the Durham heat bearable.

gus
04-18-2017, 06:16 PM
Most of the year, I'm a Manhattan woman, usually with Redemption rye and orange bitters.

In the summer, I put ginger liqueur (Domaine due Canton) in almost everything, thanks to the corrupting influence of the erstwhile Nana's bartenders. Awesome mixed half and half with Hendrick's, or added to a G and T, or on its own with seltzer water and juice from half of a lime. It makes the Durham heat bearable.

That sounds awesome. a place around the corner from me makes a "bianco negroni" with Dorothy Parker Gin, Lillet, Ginger Liqueur and Cointreau. I've tried to approximate it with gin, cointreau and ginger simple syrup.

sue71, esq
04-18-2017, 11:40 PM
Has anyone here made pineapple-infused vodka? I've had some that has been amazing, and want to try making it myself. It seems simple enough but was wondering if anyone has advice.

Lid
04-19-2017, 11:54 AM
That sounds awesome. a place around the corner from me makes a "bianco negroni" with Dorothy Parker Gin, Lillet, Ginger Liqueur and Cointreau. I've tried to approximate it with gin, cointreau and ginger simple syrup.

That sounds great, too. Now I have something new to play with... I can't believe I've never heard of Dorothy Parker Gin, feel like I should probably be drinking it exclusively.

Mal
04-19-2017, 12:28 PM
Since this was billed as an "offseason" discussion, I'll try to tie it back a little bit to basketball by presenting the three cocktails that comprise probably 80% of my cocktail consumption in the form of a cheer:

Rye Manhattan CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP
Gin and Tonic CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP
Dark and Stormy CLAP CLAP CLAPCLAPCLAP

Bulleit rye is the usual go-to for my Manhattans at home. If bourbon, I find Redemption high rye and Elijah Craig 12 year make a good cocktail.

In G&T world, Tanqueray is the daily choice, but Hendrick's is nice, too. Q tonic water if on hand, or diet tonic for the normal brands. Extra lime.

Hard to argue with the traditional Gosling's ingredients in a Dark & Stormy. I usually end up using Barritt's ginger beer, however (preferably diet so as not to compound the sugar intake), because it just feels like brand arrogance that Gosling's marks theirs up by 50%. But Black Seal rum is the only Dark & Stormy rum, as far as I'm concerned. Have tried other dark rums but they all have too much vanilla or clove or other predominant flavors. The exotic funkiness of Black Seal, lightened by the ginger and lime, is perfection.

A former fave of mine is Mount Gay and tonic, and I'll enjoy a Negroni or Paloma on occasion. Old Fashioneds are also OK, along with Mint Juleps and Kentucky Mules.

Native
04-21-2017, 03:46 PM
In G&T world, Tanqueray is the daily choice, but Hendrick's is nice, too. Q tonic water if on hand, or diet tonic for the normal brands. Extra lime.

If you're ever in NYC, give Brooklyn Gin (http://www.brooklyngin.com) a go. Hands-down the best gin I've ever had, and it's turned many a non-gin drinker in my family over to sipping G&T's on the back porch with regularity.

gus
04-21-2017, 04:53 PM
Q tonic water if on hand, or diet tonic for the normal brands. Extra lime.

As long as we're adding G&T recommendations -- have you tried Fever Tree? I prefer it to Q.

OldPhiKap
04-21-2017, 06:14 PM
As long as we're adding G&T recommendations -- have you tried Fever Tree? I prefer it to Q.

Nolet's Silver gin, Fever Tree tonic, enough ice for respectability. Lime not necessary but acceptable.

bjornolf
04-21-2017, 09:04 PM
I'm a Washington Apple man myself. Crown Royal, dekuyper sour apple, cranberry juice. Shaken and poured over iced with a splash of sprite. The green and red combine to make a very apple cider color.

I also had a tropical mojito at Victoria & Albert's in the Grand Floridian at Disney World that was amazing. Well, I had a few.

The Copper Fox Distillery in Washington, VA sells 1776 whiskey, made from Martha Washington's recipe they bought at an estate sale. It's pretty darn good.

I recently had a Tennessee Summer at Firebird's that was really good. It had Jack, something peachy, something gingery, pomegranite and some soda. Recipe is on their website.

I LOVE blackberries, so I'll often try blackberry drinks but have yet to find one I love.

My wife like's the vodka fruity martinis. Pink ones.

weezie
04-23-2017, 06:36 PM
Hey, all you alcohol enthusiasts! What the best, not the sweetest though, ginger beer for Moscow Mules???

What's a good recommendation?

freshmanjs
04-23-2017, 06:43 PM
Hey, all you alcohol enthusiasts! What the best, not the sweetest though, ginger beer for Moscow Mules???

Fever Tree. Their tonic is great too.

Native
04-23-2017, 06:52 PM

I've always gone with Reed's for both the Dark N' Stormy and any variety of Mule.

Reilly
04-23-2017, 10:18 PM

Nolet's Silver gin, Fever Tree tonic, enough ice for respectability. Lime not necessary but acceptable.

Fever Tree. Their tonic is great too.

Count me as an anti-Fever Tree vote. I recently ended up with some (shopping in a healthier grocery and that was the only option). It got in the way of the gin. And not in a good way. Wanted to see if anyone else had the same reaction and found this taste test: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/taste-test-tonic-water-best-brand-of-tonic-for-gin-canada-dry-fentimans-seagrams.html

I'm no expert; probably swayed by traditional taste. But I actually went into the experience hopeful, and was surprised at how negative I felt about it.

tecumseh
04-24-2017, 08:49 AM

Is that Bulleit Rye or Bourbon. Rye is the original recipe and makes a superior Manhattan

tecumseh
04-24-2017, 08:53 AM
You can never go wrong with a margarita, on the rocks, with salt. But I do like the occasional amaretto sour.
Need to use original recipe which is pretty expensive way to go ....fresh squeezed lime juice, Cointreau, decent tequila, the mixes are way too sweet

tecumseh
04-24-2017, 09:24 AM
I think they work like the acid reflux pills hawked on tv -- you're supposed to start taking them now, so the condition won't arise.

As for a cocktail: bourbon ginger. As many ice cubes as the highball glass will hold, as much bourbon as my conscience will allow, and in whatever space remains, fill with diet ginger ale. The "diet" part is key due to flavor not health -- it's not as sweet-tasting as regular ginger ale (at least in my mind) and balances better with the bourbon. Precious few bars stock diet ginger ale.

You can try the high end ginger ale or "ginger beer" usually not as sweet and much sharper ginger flavor

nmduke2001
04-24-2017, 10:07 AM
Every year a co-worker brings me several mint plants that we place in pots because she's warned us that they will take over our yard if not placed in a pot. This year, the mint isn't doing so great. I might need to buy some leaves from the store for this weekend. I usually enjoy a mint julep while watching the derby. I need to pick up some bourbon too. Any suggestions on the bourbon?

With all the players declaring for the draft, I think this thread is coming in handy.....

OldPhiKap
04-24-2017, 10:55 AM
Every year a co-worker brings me several mint plants that we place in pots because she's warned us that they will take over our yard if not placed in a pot. This year, the mint isn't doing so great. I might need to buy some leaves from the store for this weekend. I usually enjoy a mint julep while watching the derby. I need to pick up some bourbon too. Any suggestions on the bourbon?

With all the players declaring for the draft, I think this thread is coming in handy...

Makers Mark is sweet and works well for me.

pfrduke
04-24-2017, 11:07 AM
Count me as an anti-Fever Tree vote. I recently ended up with some (shopping in a healthier grocery and that was the only option). It got in the way of the gin. And not in a good way. Wanted to see if anyone else had the same reaction and found this taste test: http://drinks.seriouseats.com/2011/04/taste-test-tonic-water-best-brand-of-tonic-for-gin-canada-dry-fentimans-seagrams.html

I'm no expert; probably swayed by traditional taste. But I actually went into the experience hopeful, and was surprised at how negative I felt about it.

My wife is essentially exclusively a G&T drinker and has been a devotee of Fever Tree as her tonic of choice. Reading the taste test reviews are consistent with what she's looking for in the cocktail - herby, floral, contributing to the flavors behind the gin. My wife prefers Hendrick's Gin because it dials up the herbiness of the gin; if Fever Tree amplifies that, all the better.

Karl Beem
04-24-2017, 05:26 PM
Scotch and Drambuie.

Mal
04-24-2017, 07:18 PM
If you're ever in NYC, give Brooklyn Gin (http://www.brooklyngin.com) a go. Hands-down the best gin I've ever had, and it's turned many a non-gin drinker in my family over to sipping G&T's on the back porch with regularity.

I haven't, though I once had a bottle of Breuckelen Distilling's gin and hated it. Too much ginger (love the flavor elsewhere but it seemed out of place in gin) and it had almost a bubble gum like nose to me. I'll give Brooklyn a spin sometime, though. And put in a rec for Death's Door. I don't drink martinis but am told it makes a great one, and a g&t with it is satisfactory, as well. Nice evergreen notes with the juniper and finishes with a bit of fennel.

Mal
04-24-2017, 07:21 PM

I have. I like the quinine bitterness of Q more than the more prominent floral/citrus notes in Fever Tree - maybe I should try it without squeezing a lime wedge in there sometime, but I like the ritual of that lime wedge. To each their own!

nmduke2001
04-24-2017, 10:18 PM
I enjoy crown royal regal apple. I'll drink it on the rocks or with ginger ale. It's delicious and I don't care if people think less of me.

OldPhiKap
04-25-2017, 07:07 AM
I enjoy crown royal regal apple. I'll drink it on the rocks or with ginger ale. It's delicious and I don't care if people think less of me.

Having met you and your better half (IIRC) in El Paso, I can vouch that nmduke2001 is "good people"

I enjoy a nice Calvados every once in awhile, which is apple brandy from the Normandy region of France. Kinda similar, although I usually drink it neat.

DukieInKansas
04-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Junior year, friends threatened to forcibly put me in a car for Thanksgiving in NY rather than stay in Durham. I gave in so I could have a suitcase - they would have put me in the car luggage-free. Friend's mom taught me to drink an Oklahoma Screwball - Wild Turkey, Tab, squeeze of lime. When I came home over the summer, my father told me it was a crime to do that to Wild Turkey so the next cocktail hour, I had it on the rocks. My mother told me that wasn't "ladylike". I switched to red wine from there. :D

Dr. Rosenrosen
04-27-2017, 03:38 PM
I'm in DC regularly for work and end up at the lobby bar at the Fairmont pretty often. Jawad is the head bartender there and is a blast to talk to if you get the chance. Last time there, we asked him to make us something with gin. He produced the following:

Fresh sprig of rosemary in a glass, a splash of sambuca, lit it on fire, doused with ice to put out the flame before the rosemary burned and crumbled, mix The Botanist gin with simple syrup, fresh lime juice and ice, shake, and pour over the sambuca/rosemary.

Can't for the life of me remember what he called it. But it was killer.

nmduke2001
05-02-2017, 10:13 PM
https://www.si.com/horse-racing/2017/04/13/mint-julep-derby-classic-cocktail

Reilly
05-02-2017, 10:58 PM

Oh dear God, the first line of that article: "The Mint Julep has become as synonymous with the Kentucky Derby as peanut butter is with jelly."

It's like the DBR Off-Topic board decided to take over the internet.

Reilly
05-02-2017, 11:04 PM

Any discussion of mint juleps should include this recipe from Walker Percy's classic essay on bourbon (which references the 1935 Duke/Carolina football game):

http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/bourbon-neat/

devildeac
05-02-2017, 11:17 PM

Oh dear God, the first line of that article: "The Mint Julep has become as synonymous with the Kentucky Derby as peanut butter is with jelly."

It's like the DBR Off-Topic board decided to take over the internet.

Any discussion of mint juleps should include this recipe from Walker Percy's classic essay on bourbon (which references the 1935 Duke/Carolina football game):

http://www.claremont.org/crb/article/bourbon-neat/

Watermelon, strawberry, basil and iced tea in a mint julep? Blecch.

I haven't made one in years but it was always (from memory) ~ 2 ounces of good bourbon (I don't even recall which one), 1-2 ounces of simple syrup (homemade and always in the fridge) muddled with a couple of gently crushed mint leaves, all poured into a pewter vessel filled to the top with hand-crushed ice and then agitated until the mug/Jefferson cup frosted lightly and sipped slowly after another mint leaf was delicately pressed with a spoon or knife handle, for aroma and flavor, and floated on the top. That was a delicious mint julep.

nmduke2001
05-03-2017, 11:00 PM
Well, Cinco de Mayo is Friday.
http://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes/packages/best-mexican-recipes-and-menus/photos/margarita-recipes

FadedTackyShirt
06-13-2017, 07:45 PM
As a mountain dweller, moonshine might deserve its own thread. Quite a wide range of quality, flavor, and intensity. Best I ever had was purchased from a hippie customer at my store who makes his own. The worst I ever had left you feeling like your insides had been flushed out the next morning - and not in any sort of positive way.

Oh, and of course, any sort of store bought, flavored, super-sweet mess is just an abomination.

Post script: shine cherries are positively amazing

A friend texted me today and claimed Apple Pie moonshine was his favorite!?! I'm no Popcorn Sutton, but that's really a thing? Seems like apple pie flavored 'shine would be almost as difficult as putting University in UNC...

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
06-14-2017, 07:16 AM
A friend texted me today and claimed Apple Pie moonshine was his favorite!?! I'm no Popcorn Sutton, but that's really a thing? Seems like apple pie flavored 'shine would be almost as difficult as putting University in UNC...

Apple pie "moonshine" is readily available at liquor stores. Not my cup of tea.

rsvman
06-14-2017, 11:08 AM
Well, here's a somewhat interesting story.

I'm a Mormon, so I don't drink. At all. Never had an alcoholic beverage in my life. My brother was also reared Mormon, but no longer attends any church. He is now quite the mixologist, having taken a course in NYC and having practiced a lot over the past couple of years, but he doesn't drink! He makes cocktails for others.

My wife and I visited him recently and he made us some virgin cocktails (now, apparently preferably called "Mocktails.") The first was a Southside. Delicious and refreshing. The second was a mojito. Again, tart, delicious, and refreshing.

So, when my wife and I got back from vacation, we bought a cocktail shaker and I have been experimenting with mocktails at home. Some of them I'm just making up. Grapefruit juice, lemon juice, rosemary simple syrup, voila! I don't know if it has a name, but it's delicious. I have, of course, also been making virgin Southsides. Highly recommended, especially when the weather is hot.

left_hook_lacey
06-14-2017, 11:11 AM
Steakhouse: Old Fashioned

Beach Bar: Hurricane(Unless you're at the pier bar in Atlantic Beach. You're not allowed to call it a hurricane. They call it a Nor'Easter"

Mountains: Moonshine if I can get it. No apple pie. No Lemon Drop. No peach. Straight moonshine.

Work Outing: Beer so I can keep my job.

Will get a Moscow Mule from time to time. The first one I ever had was in Charleston and it was one of the best drinks I ever had. Haven't had one that comes close to that one anywhere. Even tried to make my own. The misses really likes them though, so the copper cups weren't a total waste of money. :cool:

pfrduke
06-14-2017, 10:26 PM
Apple pie "moonshine" is readily available at liquor stores. Not my cup of tea.

After what Mags Bennett did with apple pie moonshine in Justified, I'll stay away, thank you very much.

Reilly
06-15-2017, 09:06 AM
... Never had an alcoholic beverage in my life ...

So I guess you didn't follow Duke football closely during the Carl Franks' years.

rsvman
06-17-2017, 09:28 PM
So I guess you didn't follow Duke football closely during the Carl Franks' years.

Ha! Good one.

Reminds me of a joke I heard a long time ago.

One Saturday in the early afternoon, a guy wearing Duke gear and his dog (also wearing Duke gear) walk into a bar.
Bartender says, "Hey, no dogs allowed in here, pal. Get out."
Guy says: "C'mon, man, ya gotta help me out here. Me and my dog Wade are the world's biggest Duke football fans. We watch every game together. Never miss a down. But this morning my TV crapped out. The game's about to start, and we've got no way of watching it. Ya gotta let me and Wade watch the game!"
Bartender says, " I can't have dogs in my bar."
Guy says: "I promise Wade will behave himself. He won't bother anybody. He'll sit in my lap the whole time. People won't even know he's in here. Please, I'm begging you! The game is about to kick off!"
Bartender thinks for a second, and then says, "Well, OK, I guess. If you promise your dog will behave," and he turns on the TV.

The game starts. Duke gets the opening kick-off, and, to everyone's surprise, actually makes some progress on their first drive. They move steadily down the field but are stopped on the 20-yard line. The field goal team comes on, and, surprisingly, the kick goes through the uprights for a field goal. At that point the dog jumps up out of the guy's lap onto the top of the bar. He starts jumping, barking, turning in circles, and doing backflips; just generally going completely crazy.

The bartender says, "Wow. Your dog gets pretty excited over a field goal! What does he do when the team scores a touchdown?"
Guys says, "How should I know? I'm only had him for three years."

FadedTackyShirt
09-12-2017, 04:25 PM

Had too many margaritas and too little dinner at El Cholo on Western Avenue on Saturday night. As usual, the margaritas were superb.

One of the crew is a huge Tequila snob and is very picky about cocktails and he demands we hit up El Cholo for at least drinks every time we're in LA.

devildeac
07-06-2018, 10:59 PM
Frozen whiskey sour:

Fill blender 3/4 full with crushed ice

Add 6 ounces frozen lemonade concentrate (slightly thawed)

Add 6 ounces OJ (I think the fresh squeezed works better than the concentrate)

Add 6 ounces bourbon

Blend until slushy, adding a bit more ice (or bourbon or both) depending on the consistency and/or potency you want

Pour into old fashioned style glasses

Maraschino cherry and/or orange slice optional

Serve with a large shrimp cocktail, a garden salad and fresh NC white corn

Almost as good as a New Glarus beer. ;)

budwom
07-07-2018, 07:07 AM
^ gotta have the maraschino cherries! Years ago I worked at a resort on Lake Champlain, and we routinely stole their tour boat at night where we drank literally buckets of whiskey sours...we got caught when the resort owner found the deck littered with sticky cherries one morning...

aimo
07-07-2018, 05:37 PM
After Memorial Day, we had about half a watermelon left over. I scooped as much as I could into balls and poured margarita mix over them. They did not soak much up b/c they had so much water in them (duh!) so I just put it all in one container and stuck them in the freezer. Wasn't sure what to do with them, until the 4th when I threw them in the blender and made frozen watermelon margaritas. YUM! Highly recommend.

devildeac
07-07-2018, 07:31 PM
Frozen whiskey sour:

Fill blender 3/4 full with crushed ice

Add 6 ounces frozen lemonade concentrate (slightly thawed)

Add 6 ounces OJ (I think the fresh squeezed works better than the concentrate)

Add 6 ounces bourbon

Blend until slushy, adding a bit more ice (or bourbon or both) depending on the consistency and/or potency you want

Pour into old fashioned style glasses

Maraschino cherry and/or orange slice optional

Serve with a large shrimp cocktail, a garden salad and fresh NC white corn

Almost as good as a New Glarus beer. ;)

Rinse. Lather. Repeat. Tonight with sauteed bay scallops, sauteed squash/zucchini/onions and smashed/almost loaded cheddar redskin potatoes.

HereBeforeCoachK
07-08-2018, 09:09 PM
Balvenie Caribbean Cask, 14 year old scotch. Ice. The more you drink, the smarter you become.

fisheyes
07-08-2018, 09:47 PM
Has anyone else tried Monkey gin?
OMG!
I have never had anything like this.
It is wildly expensive but DE-LICIOUS!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/marissaconrad/2015/02/27/monkey-47-worlds-most-expensive-gin-cocktail-recipes/