PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Finally, Some Love for Duke

burnspbesq
04-14-2017, 02:42 PM
In advance of tomorrow's home game with UVa, the larger lax world is waking up and discovering that this year's team has a chance to br pretty good.

On Monday, the Blue Devils rode last Saturday's win over ND to a nice bump in the polls and the RPI. Quint Bilas (or was that Jay Kessenich) had them all the way up at number four.

Analyticslacrosse.com has the Blue Devils at number four in adjusted offensive efficiency and number nine in adjusted defensive efficiency, which adds up to a number one spot in their rankings.

The boys at College Crosse posted an insightful piece, complete with video clips, on how Duke's O dissects opposing defenses.

http://www.collegecrosse.com/2017/4/12/15267652/the-blue-devils-offense-is-red-hot

And this morning, US Lacrosse weighed in with a nice profile on Danny Fowler.

http://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/men/danny-fowler-steady-duke-defense-key-in-late-season-rally

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-14-2017, 03:07 PM
Let's DO THIS tomorrow!!!!
Love, Ima

MCFinARL
04-15-2017, 01:53 PM
So far so good. 9-2 Duke with about 5 min. left in the first half, and they are playing well on both ends. Military appreciation day means every player has "Regan" on the back of his jersey and they are wearing camp helmets that will be auctioned off to raise money for a nonprofit that serves disabled Army Rangers after the game. Pretty inspiring.

MCFinARL
04-15-2017, 02:03 PM
10-2 at the half. Also, the NCAA tournament committee did a "reveal" of their top 10 for the tournament and Duke came in at #7--which would not only make them a safe bet for the tournament but would give them a first round home game.

Of course, a lot of lacrosse to be played before then. Duke needs to take care of business today, as well as at Marquette and against BU. And to be sure of a home game, they may need to win at least their first ACC tournament game as well.

Native
04-15-2017, 02:07 PM
I feel like the team's defensive surge has been the story — and rightfully so — over the last few games, but what a strong offensive outing in the first half. Guterding has been sensational in finding his teammates for open looks.

Fowler's been making great saves when called upon but his outlet passes have been a bit suspect. Coach Danowski should have some good tape to help clean up our clearing game.

fuse
04-15-2017, 02:45 PM
Have a severe case of mild regret at not buying a Jimmy Regan Lead the Way camo baseball hat for an Army Ranger friend of mine.

If anyone has a lead on one, drop me a line.

14-6 going into quarter four. Let's Go Duke!

MCFinARL
04-15-2017, 03:16 PM
I feel like the team's defensive surge has been the story — and rightfully so — over the last few games, but what a strong offensive outing in the first half. Guterding has been sensational in finding his teammates for open looks.

Fowler's been making great saves when called upon but his outlet passes have been a bit suspect. Coach Danowski should have some good tape to help clean up our clearing game.

Yes, I agree. The clearing game is a potential weak spot. Otherwise looking pretty solid on the defensive side of the field.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-15-2017, 03:28 PM
Been waiting for your final score update!!! LGD! GTHc!

yancem
04-15-2017, 03:44 PM

For those of you that follow lacrosse closely, what websites have good content? ESPN has basically no information.

burnspbesq
04-15-2017, 03:45 PM

20-11, Larry. Ten points for Guterding, eight for Bruckner.

Virginia's chance was in the third quarter, but after giving up three goals in 1:58, Duke slammed the door for about ten minutes anf got four of its own.

Virginia's defense was mentally a step slow all day, and Duke consistently made them pay. See the slide, fill behind the slide, keep the ball moving, and eventually someone will get an open look.

Huge props to the third midfield unit of Transou, Gill, and Giampetroni. Three shifts in the first half, two goals.

Unless Carolina beats Cuse today, Duke is the two seed in the ACC tournament.

On to Milwaukee.

burnspbesq
04-15-2017, 03:47 PM
For those of you that follow lacrosse closely, what websites have good content? ESPN has basically no information.

Insidelacrosse.com

Collegecrosse.com

Analyticslacrosse.com is our KenPom.

WiJoe
04-15-2017, 03:49 PM
Duke 20, uva 11

Bruckner & Guterding both with 6 goals.

The fellas are in my neck of the woods next week to face marquette.

MCFinARL
04-15-2017, 03:54 PM

Depends on what you mean by "good." Inside Lacrosse (http://www.insidelacrosse.com) has a scoreboard and some articles.

Collegecrosse.com (http://www.collegecrosse.com) follows the college game with some loopy content and a lot of links to game videos and other articles.

And there is some stuff on www.laxpower.com (http://www.laxpower.com).

Edit: I see Burns is way ahead of me as usual.

burnspbesq
04-15-2017, 04:05 PM
BTW, congrats to former Duke assistant Chris Gabrielli. It took five seasons, but Providence is moving in a very positive direction. After today's 9-7 win over Marquette, the Friars have a chance to finish second in the Big East this year, led by a defense that is putting up ridiculous numbers. Adjusted defensive efficiency of 19.5 percent (second in the country)? Are you kidding me?

burnspbesq
04-15-2017, 04:11 PM
Depends on what you mean by "good." Inside Lacrosse (http://www.insidelacrosse.com) has a scoreboard and some articles.

Collegecrosse.com (http://www.collegecrosse.com) follows the college game with some loopy content and a lot of links to game videos and other articles.

Forgot baltimoresun.com first time around.

duke2x
04-15-2017, 06:21 PM
Good win. Duke will play the winner of the UNC@ND game in the ACC tournament. @Marquette is next.

yancem
04-15-2017, 07:40 PM
Insidelacrosse.com

Collegecrosse.com

Analyticslacrosse.com is our KenPom.

Thanks for the info. My kids play and I'm trying to follow more closely. Anyone have an opinion on LaxSportsNet? I downloaded the app on my iPad but it appears to be a subscription service.

burnspbesq
04-15-2017, 10:03 PM
ICYMI, the Cheaters coughed up a five-goal fourth-quarter lead and Cuse won in overtime.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-15-2017, 11:23 PM
ICYMI, the Cheaters coughed up a five-goal fourth-quarter lead and Cuse won in overtime.

Heh Heh Heh.
Love, Ima

buddy
04-16-2017, 01:57 PM

The cheaters are getting a lot of practice in coughing up 5 goal leads:)

aimo
04-16-2017, 03:02 PM

You certainly can't rely on local (Triangle) news. NOTHING on WTVD, WRAL, Herald-Sun, or N&O about lacrosse scores.

TKG
04-16-2017, 06:11 PM
You certainly can't rely on local (Triangle) news. NOTHING on WTVD, WRAL, Herald-Sun, or N&O about lacrosse scores.

Believe lacrosse is a town in Wisconsin.

burnspbesq
04-16-2017, 08:04 PM

Or the most popular American car in China.

chrishoke
04-16-2017, 09:21 PM

Its actually a disease.

duketaylor
04-16-2017, 10:05 PM
Lacrosse is a small town adjacent to South Hill, Va. only an hour plus from Durham, up 85, cute little place.

camion
04-16-2017, 11:50 PM
Definitely sports related. Lacrosse is a brand of polo shirt.

TKG
04-17-2017, 07:02 AM
Definitely sports related. Lacrosse is a brand of polo shirt.

Did you mean Lacoste? The one with the crocodile? Named after French tennis player Rene Lacoste?

Whoa!! Way too much caffeine this morning......

burnspbesq
04-17-2017, 08:53 AM
Watch for Duke to get another significant bump when the polls come out later this morning.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-17-2017, 09:38 AM
http://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/rankings/usual-suspects-migrate-to-top-of-nike-us-lacrosse-division-i-mens-top-20

WOOHOO!!!
Love, Ima

TKG
04-17-2017, 09:40 AM
Quint Kessenich has us at #3 in his rankings.

sagegrouse
04-17-2017, 10:07 AM
http://www.uslaxmagazine.com/college/rankings/usual-suspects-migrate-to-top-of-nike-us-lacrosse-division-i-mens-top-20

WOOHOO!!!
Love, Ima

Anyway, Duke has moved up from #9 to #4 in the rankings behind Syracuse, Maryland and Denver -- the headline refers to "usual suspects migrate to top...."

bob blue devil
04-17-2017, 10:22 AM
Anyway, Duke has moved up from #9 to #4 in the rankings behind Syracuse, Maryland and Denver -- the headline refers to "usual suspects migrate to top..."

and refers to Syracuse as an "outsider" to the "usual suspects". short memories!

MCFinARL
04-17-2017, 10:39 AM
and refers to Syracuse as an "outsider" to the "usual suspects". short memories!

VERY short memories. That is ridiculous.

aimo
04-17-2017, 10:53 AM
Lacrosse is a small town adjacent to South Hill, Va. only an hour plus from Durham, up 85, cute little place.

Believe it or not, I have been there! Had an uncle who lived in Lacrosse. I called it "La cross road."

BigWayne
04-17-2017, 11:09 AM
Amazingly, the NCAA's RPI calculations still have UNC ahead of us. (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse-men/d1/ncaa-mens-lacrosse-rpi)

I hope they don't use these too much in the tournament selection process. The only reason we can be below UNC is the one point loss to Air Force in the very first game.

TKG
04-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Watch for Duke to get another significant bump when the polls come out later this morning.

Loved that the third middie line got so much PT against UVA. Sure they got a little sloppy with their passing but they got game experience. We have a very nice mix of senior leadership and youth. I had forgotten that our 2017 recruiting class was ranked #1 in the nation.

burnspbesq
04-17-2017, 01:27 PM
VERY short memories. That is ridiculous.

Is it, really? Current recruits were in second and third grade the last time the Orange won the whole thing.

Put another way: remeber the famous SI "The Bruins are in Ruins" cover? UCLA had gone four seasons without a championship at he time that cover ran. Cuse is at seven and counting.

Also, although it ultimately doesn't matter, Cuse benefited from blown calls in its wins over Duke and Carolina. Bomberry came out of the restraining area early on the opening faceoff of OT against Duke, and Gillis grabbed the ball with his hand and flipped it toward a teammate during a huge GB tussle late on Saturday.

bob blue devil
04-17-2017, 02:59 PM
Is it, really? Current recruits were in second and third grade the last time the Orange won the whole thing.

Put another way: remeber the famous SI "The Bruins are in Ruins" cover? UCLA had gone four seasons without a championship at he time that cover ran. Cuse is at seven and counting.

Also, although it ultimately doesn't matter, Cuse benefited from blown calls in its wins over Duke and Carolina. Bomberry came out of the restraining area early on the opening faceoff of OT against Duke, and Gillis grabbed the ball with his hand and flipped it toward a teammate during a huge GB tussle late on Saturday.

i vote for, "yes, it is really." but, obviously depends on the subjective definition of "usual suspects". i'm not sure that winning title in past 7 seasons is the metric i'd go by, particularly since usual implies more than once which would then limit the usual suspects to duke... if seven years is too long, syracuse did play in the title game in 2013, which is not so far back in ancient history like 2009 (on a side note, how do they even have a record that the game occurred - did they find it on the dead sea scrolls?). i don't get the ucla analogy - it's not like if ucla was then in the top 4 people would say they weren't a usual suspect.

duke79
04-17-2017, 03:37 PM
What has happened to UVa lacrosse? I remember when they were a national powerhouse. It seems like they have slipped substantially in recent years. They haven't won a game yet in the ACC this year. Is it bad coaching? Bad recruiting? Other schools have stepped up their programs?

sagegrouse
04-17-2017, 03:49 PM
What has happened to UVa lacrosse? I remember when they were a national powerhouse. It seems like they have slipped substantially in recent years. They haven't won a game yet in the ACC this year. Is it bad coaching? Bad recruiting? Other schools have stepped up their programs?

Sorry to bring up old news that we would all like to forget. In May 2010 UVa lacrosse player George Wesley Huguely V murdered women's lacrosse player Yeardley Love. He was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 23 years. Here's one summary (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Yeardley_Love).

That's probably the answer to the decline of UVa's lacrosse team.

MCFinARL
04-17-2017, 03:51 PM

i vote for, "yes, it is really." but, obviously depends on the subjective definition of "usual suspects". i'm not sure that winning title in past 7 seasons is the metric i'd go by, particularly since usual implies more than once which would then limit the usual suspects to duke... if seven years is too long, syracuse did play in the title game in 2013, which is not so far back in ancient history like 2009 (on a side note, how do they even have a record that the game occurred - did they find it on the dead sea scrolls?). i don't get the ucla analogy - it's not like if ucla was then in the top 4 people would say they weren't a usual suspect.

I see there is clearly some room for a difference of opinion/approach here, but I lean a bit toward the bob blue devil position here. Part of that may be because I have been around the block a few times and remember a long string of good years for Syracuse (including what I think of as the "orange teams" years, in the 90s, when we would head out to College Park to see which one of Syracuse, Princeton, or UVA would bring home the title).

Granted the Syracuse program has not had quite that level of success recently, though I still think calling them "outsiders" may be going a step too far, especially since the laxpower.com writer's claim that Syracuse has only made one final four "this decade" requires defining decade as "the 2010s" rather than "the last ten years. In 2008 and 2009, Syracuse not only made the Final Four but won back to back titles.

Obviously, though, not that big a deal either way, just something to niggle over until the next game.

Re the OT face-off in the Syracuse Duke game, am I remembering that game incorrectly? I thought Duke actually won the opening face-off of OT but turned over the ball without scoring, after which Syracuse scored. (Entirely possible I could be remembering it incorrectly.)

Amazingly, the NCAA's RPI calculations still have UNC ahead of us. (http://www.ncaa.com/rankings/lacrosse-men/d1/ncaa-mens-lacrosse-rpi)

I hope they don't use these too much in the tournament selection process. The only reason we can be below UNC is the one point loss to Air Force in the very first game.

The Air Force loss is indeed the reason, as it counts as a "significant" loss because Air Force has a low RPI ranking. The good news is that, as of Saturday, Duke was #7 in the selection committee's early top 10 and UNC was not in the top 10. So while RPI is taken into account, it is not the only thing.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-17-2017, 04:12 PM
In looking at Air Force's schedule to see if they had any games against top teams coming up that might help their ranking and thus theoretically help our ranking, I came to realize that Air Force lacrosse (with a campus in Colorado) plays in the Southern Conference. Thus, they have conference road games this year in Macon, GA; Greenville, SC; Lexington, VA; and High Point, NC, then they return east for their conference tournament in Richmond. Of course, Denver is in the Big East, but at least they have Marquette in the right general direction to go with the other four teams on the eastern seaboard. Another sign of what is wrong with college sports today...

And to answer my original question, Air Force's remaining regular season games are against Richmond and High Point so even if they win both (and Richmond is fairly good this year at 23 in the latest RPI) they are unlikely to move very much.

DukieInKansas
04-17-2017, 04:26 PM

There is also a La Crosse, Kansas - home of the barbed wire museum.

duke79
04-17-2017, 04:27 PM
Sorry to bring up old news that we would all like to forget. In May 2010 UVa lacrosse player George Wesley Huguely V murdered women's lacrosse player Yeardley Love. He was convicted of second degree murder and sentenced to 23 years. Here's one summary (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Murder_of_Yeardley_Love).

That's probably the answer to the decline of UVa's lacrosse team.

Yea, I remember that horrible and tragic situation. But do you think that that one awful event has torpedoed their lacrosse program for the past 7 years? Even after the so-called "Duke lacrosse scandal" (that may have gotten even more widespread adverse publicity than the UVa murder case), the Duke lacrosse program bounced back almost immediately (to the surprise of some) and has had continued success at the highest levels.

TKG
04-17-2017, 04:32 PM

Ouch!

sagegrouse
04-17-2017, 04:49 PM
Yea, I remember that horrible and tragic situation. But do you think that that one awful event has torpedoed their lacrosse program for the past 7 years? Even after the so-called "Duke lacrosse scandal" (that may have gotten even more widespread adverse publicity than the UVa murder case), the Duke lacrosse program bounced back almost immediately (to the surprise of some) and has had continued success at the highest levels.

There's a big difference. The Duke LAX players were innocent of everything (except bad judgment). Moreover, the Duke case became a cause celebre in the LAX community, and the Duke players were granted another year of eligibility for the canceled season. The UVa LAX player is serving a murder sentence, and the women's LAX player is no longer with us.

Native
04-17-2017, 06:59 PM

Not to mention that UVa won the national title in men's lacrosse the very next season.

While that event was a horrific tragedy, I tend to place the blame more along the lines of their coaching transition. UVa moved on from Coach Starsia (http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/q-a-with-dom-starsia-on-leaving-virginia-what-s-next/35489) — for a time the winningest coach in college lacrosse history, analogous to putting a Jim Boeheim or Roy Williams out to pasture. They replaced him with Lars Tiffany, who took the Brown Bears to a Final Four appearance last season. He's a good coach with a solid track record but it will take some time for him to get his system in place.

Or, if you prefer an alternative explanation: Duke's had their number since Coach Danowski arrived, and we've been stealing their lunch money ever since. We're 16-1 against them with Dano at the helm.

Indoor66
04-17-2017, 07:35 PM
Dano has snatched a lot of lunch money.😋😎

burnspbesq
04-17-2017, 07:58 PM
Re the OT face-off in the Syracuse Duke game, am I remembering that game incorrectly? I thought Duke actually won the opening face-off of OT but turned over the ball without scoring, after which Syracuse scored. (Entirely possible I could be remembering it incorrectly.)

Rowe popped the ball out behind and beat everybody to the GB, which he inexplicably failed to pick up cleanly. It's impossible to know whether Bomberry jumping out early distracted him, but Duke should have been awarded possession and given an opportunity to clear.

duke2x
04-17-2017, 09:12 PM
In looking at Air Force's schedule to see if they had any games against top teams coming up that might help their ranking and thus theoretically help our ranking, I came to realize that Air Force lacrosse (with a campus in Colorado) plays in the Southern Conference. Thus, they have conference road games this year in Macon, GA; Greenville, SC; Lexington, VA; and High Point, NC, then they return east for their conference tournament in Richmond. Of course, Denver is in the Big East, but at least they have Marquette in the right general direction to go with the other four teams on the eastern seaboard. Another sign of what is wrong with college sports today...

And to answer my original question, Air Force's remaining regular season games are against Richmond and High Point so even if they win both (and Richmond is fairly good this year at 23 in the latest RPI) they are unlikely to move very much.

The AFA loss is a big part, but there was an unusual lack of quality opponents before Syracuse. Denver was the only one. Loyola is usually OK but is having a very down year. Georgetown is undergoing significant rebuilding. The non-conference teams remaining (Marquette, Boston U.) won't raise the RPI. I see it this way for the 3-4 games remaining:

win out: #3-#5 seed.
1 loss: #7-10 seed, meaning 50% of getting a road game in the first round, particularly looking at MD due to travel rules. Duke has never won a NCAA lax road game.
2 losses: last 1-2 in or lax NIT.
3 losses: Lax NIT/longer internships on Wall Street.

buddy
04-17-2017, 10:02 PM
The AFA loss is a big part, but there was an unusual lack of quality opponents before Syracuse. Denver was the only one. Loyola is usually OK but is having a very down year. Georgetown is undergoing significant rebuilding. The non-conference teams remaining (Marquette, Boston U.) won't raise the RPI. I see it this way for the 3-4 games remaining:

1 loss: #7-10 seed, meaning 50% of getting a road game in the first round, particularly looking at MD due to travel rules. Duke has never won a NCAA lax road game.

There is no lax NIT. Otherwise agree with your analysis. Need to start Saturday at Marquette

MCFinARL
04-17-2017, 10:07 PM
Not to mention that UVa won the national title in men's lacrosse the very next season.

While that event was a horrific tragedy, I tend to place the blame more along the lines of their coaching transition. UVa moved on from Coach Starsia (http://www.insidelacrosse.com/article/q-a-with-dom-starsia-on-leaving-virginia-what-s-next/35489) — for a time the winningest coach in college lacrosse history, analogous to putting a Jim Boeheim or Roy Williams out to pasture. They replaced him with Lars Tiffany, who took the Brown Bears to a Final Four appearance last season. He's a good coach with a solid track record but it will take some time for him to get his system in place.

Or, if you prefer an alternative explanation: Duke's had their number since Coach Danowski arrived, and we've been stealing their lunch money ever since. We're 16-1 against them with Dano at the helm.

Agreed Danowski has definitely had UVA's number for whatever reason--and more power to him!

I also agree that the terrible murder of Yeardley Love has not been the primary factor in UVA's decline, though it may well have affected recruiting for at least a couple of years (parents perhaps not too confident sending their sons to a program that seemed to have overlooked or ignored some significant clues that a player was very troubled and had serious substance abuse problems). Starsia was indeed an historically great coach, but perhaps had passed his expiration date, as results had begun to decline. Tiffany has a distinctive system, and it may, as you say, take a few years--and a couple of opportunities to recruit matching players--to get things going again.

Yikes! Is that really a thing--the barbed wire museum?

Rowe popped the ball out behind and beat everybody to the GB, which he inexplicably failed to pick up cleanly. It's impossible to know whether Bomberry jumping out early distracted him, but Duke should have been awarded possession and given an opportunity to clear.

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks.

I see your point, but the "unusual lack of quality" had more to do with what happened to particular teams this year than a difference in scheduling. Perhaps that is what you meant. In any case, looking at the last three years: 2015, Duke played Denver (then #1), Harvard (then #10), and Loyola (then #12), along with unranked Air Force and Georgetown, among others, in its pre-conference games. in 2016, Duke played Denver (#2), Harvard (#12), Loyola (#9), and Air Force (#20), along with unranked Richmond and Georgetown. This year, Duke has played Denver (#1 when we played them), Loyola (#12 when we played them), and Richmond (#16 when we played them), along with Air Force (#19 when we played them) and unranked Georgetown. The only difference in scheduling is the absence of Harvard or another reasonably challenging Ivy League opponent, which Duke usually has; as you note, Duke has been hurt by the fact that Loyola is not done as well as in previous years--but also by the fact that Air Force has not done as well as expected. That looked like a high quality opponent when they were scheduled, and when they edged Duke in the first game--but they have fallen on hard times since.

MCFinARL
04-17-2017, 10:10 PM
There is no lax NIT. Otherwise agree with your analysis. Need to start Saturday at Marquette

I assume "lax NIT" was a joke, no?

I realize I may be twisting your phrasing a bit here, but I would say, most importantly, we need to finish Saturday at Marquette. This is a team Duke can beat if they play four quarters, but it's one that is good enough to win if Duke fails to play all out the whole game.

duke2x
04-17-2017, 10:33 PM
I see your point, but the "unusual lack of quality" had more to do with what happened to particular teams this year than a difference in scheduling. Perhaps that is what you meant. In any case, looking at the last three years: 2015, Duke played Denver (then #1), Harvard (then #10), and Loyola (then #12), along with unranked Air Force and Georgetown, among others, in its pre-conference games. in 2016, Duke played Denver (#2), Harvard (#12), Loyola (#9), and Air Force (#20), along with unranked Richmond and Georgetown. This year, Duke has played Denver (#1 when we played them), Loyola (#12 when we played them), and Richmond (#16 when we played them), along with Air Force (#19 when we played them) and unranked Georgetown. The only difference in scheduling is the absence of Harvard or another reasonably challenging Ivy League opponent, which Duke usually has; as you note, Duke has been hurt by the fact that Loyola is not done as well as in previous years--but also by the fact that Air Force has not done as well as expected. That looked like a high quality opponent when they were scheduled, and when they edged Duke in the first game--but they have fallen on hard times since.

We agree. I have no problem with the schedule for this group even if we don't make the NCAAs. You had to play a Big 10 team or guess right about Hofstra this year to boost your RPI. None of those teams were going to appear on the schedule.

Yes, Lax NIT = Not In Tournament.

DukieInKansas
04-17-2017, 11:29 PM
, , ,

, , ,

Yes, it is. The first time I was there, the group spent quite a bit of time there - as I recall it was windy and rainy so we were waiting out the weather before we continued cycling on down the road. At that time, it was in 1 room (probably a couple of 100 square feed). It has over 2,000 styles of barbed wire on display. The next time I went, it has relocated to the edge of town and expanded the space. They even have a bird's nest made out of barbed wire.

And, yes, I've just admitted that I have been there more than once. I've also added to the world's largest ball of twine more than once. There is a lot of excitement on the plains of Kansas.

Indoor66
04-18-2017, 09:07 AM

You have obviously never lived in the Plains and High Plains cattle country where Barbed Wire was a huge issue in the 19th century battle between Open Range and Fencing.

DukieInKansas
04-18-2017, 09:56 AM
You have obviously never lived in the Plains and High Plains cattle country where Barbed Wire was a huge issue in the 19th century battle between Open Range and Fencing.

The museum has over 2,000 different types of barbed wire on display. The one that sticks in my head was a sample from a North Vietnamese POW camp. And the bird's nest - I think they said it was a crow.

MCFinARL
04-18-2017, 01:06 PM

Guilty as charged; one of the far too many areas of the country and the world I know little or nothing about, I am sorry to say. But I do remember dimly learning about the Open Range and Fencing battle at some point, now that you mention it.