PDA

View Full Version : Congrats to JJ

atoomer0881
04-13-2017, 04:02 PM
J.J. Redick sets career and LA Clippers’ franchise high in three-pointers made (https://clipperholics.com/2017/04/13/j-j-redick-career-franchise-high-three-pointers/)

Congrats to JJ on hitting his career high and Clippers' franchise best 201st three pointer last night in LA's final game of the regular season. He came into the night having hit 198 threes this year. With 5:16 left in the third quarter, he knocked down his third trey of the night, passing the 200 made three pointers he totaled last season and the previous one. He's now hit 601 threes the last three seasons combined, and owns the top 3 spots in the Clippers' top 10 list for most three’s in a single season.

Assuming the Clippers can resign him, he'll enter next season trailing Eric Piatkowski by only 64 three’s for the most in franchise history. So again, assuming he stays, he should probably be able to set that record next season as well. I just love the player he was able to turn himself into after hard work and determination!

JetpackJesus
04-13-2017, 04:17 PM
Good for JJ. I've really enjoyed watching his career trajectory. I've also enjoyed watching him transform from one of the most hated basketball players to one who most people seem to genuinely like and respect.

I'm a Cavs fan because I lived in Cleveland when they drafted Kyrie, and I've been a fan of them since then. But I've become a pretty big Clippers fan since they acquired JJ. It helps that I get the channel that airs Clippers games here, and the Clippers generally will still be playing after normal business hours so I can even watch some of the games.

I really hope the Clippers can stay healthy this year in the playoffs and finally have some success. Their bad luck the last two playoffs has been remarkable.

phaedrus
04-14-2017, 10:03 AM
JJ is one of only a small handful of players to hit 200 three-pointers in three different seasons, and an even smaller cohort who has done so in three consecutive seasons (think Steph Curry, Ray Allen, Klay Thompson, and James Harden). JJ's lowest three-point percentage over those three seasons is 42.9%. When it comes to high volume and high accuracy, JJ is really in a class with Steph, Klay, and pretty much no one else - although admittedly, Steph is in another class altogether when it comes to volume.

pfrduke
04-14-2017, 11:48 AM
JJ is one of only a small handful of players to hit 200 three-pointers in three different seasons, and an even smaller cohort who has done so in three consecutive seasons (think Steph Curry, Ray Allen, Klay Thompson, and James Harden). JJ's lowest three-point percentage over those three seasons is 42.9%. When it comes to high volume and high accuracy, JJ is really in a class with Steph, Klay, and pretty much no one else - although admittedly, Steph is in another class altogether when it comes to volume.

That's certainly true. JJ's team record of 201, which is in the top 60 all time for single-season three pointers made, is half of Curry's single-season record of 402. Steph has 4 of the top 5 and 5 of the top 10 seasons in makes.

As a sign of the shift in how 3-point focused NBA games have become, 10 of the top 60 single-season performances in terms of made 3s came this season, and another 7 came last year. When JJ hit 200 in the 2014-2015 season, it was the 44th best single-season performance all-time. Two years later he hits 201 and all of a sudden it's 58th.

phaedrus
04-14-2017, 11:59 AM
That's certainly true. JJ's team record of 201, which is in the top 60 all time for single-season three pointers made, is half of Curry's single-season record of 402. Steph has 4 of the top 5 and 5 of the top 10 seasons in makes.

As a sign of the shift in how 3-point focused NBA games have become, 10 of the top 60 single-season performances in terms of made 3s came this season, and another 7 came last year. When JJ hit 200 in the 2014-2015 season, it was the 44th best single-season performance all-time. Two years later he hits 201 and all of a sudden it's 58th.

Now, if you take the 63 200+ seasons and rank them by accuracy, JJ's last three years are #2, #10, and #15 on the list. Only Steph has three better seasons.

The worst? This year's putative MVP, Russell Westbrook, who surpassed noted chucker Antoine Walker's record for high volume, low accuracy chucking by taking 583 threes and making only 34.3% of them.

Or, if you're in the Harden-for-MVP camp, you don't have to look much further up the list. This year, he had the fourth-least accurate season ever among high-volume (200 makes) shooters, making only 34.7%.

NSDukeFan
04-14-2017, 12:39 PM
Now, if you take the 63 200+ seasons and rank them by accuracy, JJ's last three years are #2, #10, and #15 on the list. Only Steph has three better seasons.

The worst? This year's putative MVP, Russell Westbrook, who surpassed noted chucker Antoine Walker's record for high volume, low accuracy chucking by taking 583 threes and making only 34.3% of them.

Or, if you're in the Harden-for-MVP camp, you don't have to look much further up the list. This year, he had the fourth-least accurate season ever among high-volume (200 makes) shooters, making only 34.7%.

These least-accurate high volume seasons still correspond to greater than 50% 2-point FG%, which is why the league has gone so 3-point crazy. It's just a more efficient way to score.