PDA

View Full Version : Trip Advice, BB Adventure

ohioguy2
10-17-2007, 05:12 PM
Three friends and I are coming to Durham for about nine days in January and February. I have four women's season tickets and we will take in the Tennessee game on 1-28, the Va. Tech game on 2-1, and the UNC game on 2-4. There are men's games on 1-31 (State) and 2-2 (Miami) and if we get fortunate, we will find tickets for those also. A great trip for four ex-high school coaches. If anyone has advice on where to stay, eat, drink or how to come up with men's tickets, feel free to express your opinion. BTW, our wives have given their blessing to this trip.:D

VaDukie
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Bullocks BBQ is a must.

bdh21
10-17-2007, 05:20 PM
Three friends and I are coming to Durham for about nine days in January and February. I have four women's season tickets and we will take in the Tennessee game on 1-28, the Va. Tech game on 2-1, and the UNC game on 2-4. There are men's games on 1-31 (State) and 2-2 (Miami) and if we get fortunate, we will find tickets for those also. A great trip for four ex-high school coaches. If anyone has advice on where to stay, eat, drink or how to come up with men's tickets, feel free to express your opinion. BTW, our wives have given their blessing to this trip.:D

The obligatory food stop in Durham is Bullock's BBQ. They have some mean pulled pork and hush puppies. There are a bunch of adequate places at Brightleaf Square & 9th St., and breakfasts must be at Elmo's Diner every day of the week.

For bad Chinese food that for whatever reason you just can't stop eating Grace's on central campus is the spot.

For men's tickets have wads of cash. Or check the ticket exchange board...

LetItBD08
10-17-2007, 06:00 PM
Stop by and say hello to us in K-ville. I'm assuming you're former basketball coaches. Hopefully by then we'll have a net out in K-ville. You could give us some pointers. Coach K only has so much time.

crote
10-17-2007, 06:14 PM
The obligatory food stop in Durham is Bullock's BBQ. They have some mean pulled pork and hush puppies. There are a bunch of adequate places at Brightleaf Square & 9th St., and breakfasts must be at Elmo's Diner every day of the week.

Bullock's is three kinds of awful.

Breakfast at Elmo's, though, is unbeatable.

ohioguy2
10-17-2007, 06:23 PM
Where is Elmo's? My son is a Duke grad, so I am famliar with most of the area, but this does not ring a bell--sounds like a must, though. Yes, we are all ex high school coaches--All of us coached boys, and I also coached girls when my daughter was in 10-12.

DevilAlumna
10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
and breakfasts must be at Elmo's Diner every day of the week.

Well, you might want to save one morning for Waffle House. (Or, maybe latenight after one of the games.)

Have some scattered, smothered, and covered for me. :D

throatybeard
10-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Bullocks BBQ is a must.

Bullocks is awful. I'm sorry. See the thread on the OT board.

VaDukie
10-17-2007, 07:42 PM
you need to go to bullocks yourself and make up your mind. I have rarely if ever heard complaints.

Elmo's is on 9th street near East Campus.

throatybeard
10-17-2007, 07:51 PM
you need to go to bullocks yourself and make up your mind. I have rarely if ever heard complaints.

Been there, done that. They took the wood out in the early 80s.

As I said on the OT board, I think Bullocks is a front to siphon Yankees at Duke off before they crowd up the good places.

VaDukie
10-17-2007, 07:52 PM
Been there, done that. They took the wood out in the early 80s.

As I said on the OT board, I think Bullocks is a front to siphon Yankees at Duke off before they crowd up the good places.

I was directing the advice towards the prospective travelers.

throatybeard
10-17-2007, 07:56 PM
I was directing the advice towards the prospective travelers.

Ah, savvy. Good work.

Indoor66
10-17-2007, 07:59 PM
Allen & Son BBQ on Hwy 86 north of Chapel Hill (can take I-40 west and there is an exit at NC 86. North about 2.5 or so miles toward Hillsborough. If you hit the RR tracks, you just passed Allen & Son. Going back to Durham you can take Mt. Sinai Rd. (off 86 to the right, just before the RR tracks.) This then intersects with Erwin Road - left to dead end T and right - back to 15-501 and then Duke campus. A pretty drive through the NC countryside.

Also Dip's on Rosemary St. in Chapel Hill. Great southern cooking served up by Momma Dip. Homemade everything.

FreezingDevil
10-17-2007, 08:50 PM
For chinese/thai food, Chai's is the best in town. Its also within walking distance of Cameron on the corner of Erwin and LaSalle. Now that Chai's has come along no student at Duke would ever dare set foot inside Grace's.

Right next to Chai's in the same complex is NOSH which serves pretty much everything (sandwiches, pizzas, salads, etc). Thats also a great spot, particularly for breakfast and lunch.

good luck!

LetItBD08
10-17-2007, 09:13 PM
If you're coming from the northeast, the Brooklyn Pizza that just opened in that same shopping center ^ has the most passable pizza that I've had in North Carolina.

dukemomLA
10-18-2007, 03:50 AM
Kudos for Elmo's. Especially BREAKFAST!! Yum.

bdh21
10-18-2007, 08:58 AM
For chinese/thai food, Chai's is the best in town. Its also within walking distance of Cameron on the corner of Erwin and LaSalle. Now that Chai's has come along no student at Duke would ever dare set foot inside Grace's.

Right next to Chai's in the same complex is NOSH which serves pretty much everything (sandwiches, pizzas, salads, etc). Thats also a great spot, particularly for breakfast and lunch.

good luck!

I think Graces was more about convenient delivery, food points, and a bizarre emotional attachment than it was about good Chinese food.