PDA

View Full Version : Nice Article on David McClure

devildeac
04-11-2017, 11:03 AM
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/04/09/insider-pacers-david-mcclure-strives-cultivate-culture-continuous-improvement/100178332/

sagegrouse
04-11-2017, 11:09 AM
http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/nba/pacers/2017/04/09/insider-pacers-david-mcclure-strives-cultivate-culture-continuous-improvement/100178332/

Hadn't thought about David McClure for a while. Here's a money quote from the story:

As the team's player development coach, McClure's job, in short, is to improve the Pacers. Yet McClure, hired for the position after it was created last summer, knows his job description is long – full of philosophical lessons he’s learned, a no-days-off work ethic and confidence that he can transfer his beliefs to every player on the roster.

And

Monta Ellis, one of the oldest veterans, believes McClure’s true gift is his communication skills. McClure, an energetic communicator, can disarm a frustrated player with a smile and an encouraging message.

“He does a great job of motivating guys,” Ellis said. “It’s his first year and he’s trying to feel his way, trying to feel guys.When he first came in, he made his mark, set his standards and everybody went with it.”

JBDuke
04-13-2017, 09:19 PM
McClure was one of my favorite "glue guys" to wear the Duke uniform. So glad to see he's found a way to stay in the game and make a difference.

FadedTackyShirt
04-13-2017, 09:34 PM
McClure was one of my favorite "glue guys" to wear the Duke uniform. So glad to see he's found a way to stay in the game and make a difference.

Agreed. My recollection was that McClure was tacitly recruited as a role player, but article made it sound like he was a highly coveted recruit.

tbyers11
04-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Agreed. My recollection was that McClure was tacitly recruited as a role player, but article made it sound like he was a highly coveted recruit.

Guess it all depends on how you define highly coveted. McClure was the RSCI #71 rated recruit in 2004. At Duke we are lucky enough that a recruit at that level is typically a glue guy or a role player.

However, there are 351 DI teams. If you estimate an average of 3 incoming freshman per team on that's approximately 1000 D1 freshmen a season. From that perspective being #71/1000 would make you highly coveted.

To the article, very glad to see that McClure is successfully making a living at the game of basketball.

miramar
04-13-2017, 11:41 PM
Coach K, Pop, Bird, Elmer's. What else can you ask for?

Amazing development for a guy who his freshman year took the last shot of the half with too much time left on the clock, which had Coach K pointing at his temple telling him to think. Now he's making a career out of that lesson.