PDA

View Full Version : ACC Barnstorming Tour

left_hook_lacey
04-10-2017, 11:33 AM
Just wondering how many posters on this board go to this or have gone? Really cool way to see the seniors one last time in a pretty intimate environment with autograph sessions at the end.

When I was younger, I always thought it was so cool to see the guys I watched on TV playing in person together on the same court that I played on everyday.(They have played at my high-school alma-mater many times.)

They aren't coming to my high school this year, but they'll be at one of our rivals only about 15 miles away. Pretty good/cheap way to see the guys up close and personal and get some gear signed.

TruBlu
04-10-2017, 06:35 PM
Yep, I have gone . . . a looonnng time ago, before my opportunities to actually attend Duke games. Saw Hack Tyson from the good University, and Billy Cunningham from the bad one.

I was standing immediately behind one goal when The Kangaroo Kid (Cunningham)went in for a dunk. I vividly remember looking up at the bottom of his sneakers. It was a jaw dropping experience.

Indoor66
04-10-2017, 07:03 PM
I vividly remember looking up at the bottom of his sneakers. It was a jaw dropping experience.

And they were Chuck Conner All-stars!😎

Bob Green
04-10-2017, 07:14 PM
And they were Chuck Taylor All-stars!😎

FIFY

Native
04-10-2017, 07:41 PM
They aren't coming to my high school this year, but they'll be at one of our rivals only about 15 miles away. Pretty good/cheap way to see the guys up close and personal and get some gear signed.

Where'd you go to high school? I attended Panther Creek, where the Barnstorming Tour just hit.

Indoor66
04-10-2017, 08:37 PM
FIFY

Oops, I was thinking of Rifles. 😂

left_hook_lacey
04-11-2017, 01:55 PM
Where'd you go to high school? I attended Panther Creek, where the Barnstorming Tour just hit.

I went to South Lenoir High School, out in the coastal plains. Small town of about 500. They are playing at East Duplin High School tomorrow night, 15 miles away. Gonna try to make it, even though I live in Goldsboro now.

Fun fact. I'm hearing reports that Kennard is going to play tonight at the Greenville stop. Wonder if he is going to make it to the rest of the stops on the tour? Would love to get something autographed tomorrow night.

wgl1228
04-11-2017, 03:11 PM
I am a teacher at DH Conley High School and so excited about the Barnstorming game tonight. I hope Jefferson, Jones, and Kennard all can make it.

MCFinARL
04-11-2017, 04:06 PM
I am a teacher at DH Conley High School and so excited about the Barnstorming game tonight. I hope Jefferson, Jones, and Kennard all can make it.

Can non-seniors who are leaving school play in the barnstorming tour? The article I found online (http://wncn.com/2017/04/06/acc-basketball-stars-headline-acc-barnstorming-tour-roster/) reporting last Thursday's opening game only lists Jefferson, Jones, and Pagliuca from Duke (along with Meeks, Hicks, Britt, White, and Coker from some other school in the state).

sagegrouse
04-11-2017, 04:15 PM
Can non-seniors who are leaving school play in the barnstorming tour? The article I found online (http://wncn.com/2017/04/06/acc-basketball-stars-headline-acc-barnstorming-tour-roster/) reporting last Thursday's opening game only lists Jefferson, Jones, and Pagliuca from Duke (along with Meeks, Hicks, Britt, White, and Coker from some other school in the state).

Here's a guess. I assume Kennard is now a "professional athlete," and no longer will participate in NCAA sports. He can, therefore, accept money for playing. The Carolina Barnstorming Tour has its own rules.

left_hook_lacey
04-11-2017, 04:18 PM

I'm not 100% sure. I know back in the old days, it was a way to reward the seniors. Sort of a victory lap of their college careers. But I'm not sure if I remember if any early entries ever played in it or were invited to play in it. Kennard wasn't on the original roster for this year, announced for the draft, and is now playing in the tour. So I guess you can play if you're 100% going to the draft.

Furniture
04-11-2017, 08:43 PM
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/WATCH-Amile-Jefferson-Matt-Jones-Nolan-Smith-52252637

wgl1228
04-12-2017, 08:03 AM
Update: It was a great night of barnstorming last night here in Greenville. Only Nolan and Amile played but Kennard did come and hang out the whole evening. They all had good attitudes and genuinely seemed to be enjoying themselves. They stayed and took pictures and signed autographs for everyone. I was able to speak with all three and they were class acts (especially Amile and Nolan). Have to give props to Kennedy Meeks as well for his kindness and giving his all to have fun and entertain. Matt Jones did not show up due to an afternoon test (according to the organizer) or maybe he was already headed to Portsmouth for the NBA showcase game.

Indoor66
04-12-2017, 08:45 AM
Meeks always strikes me as a fun loving guy. He smiles a lot and seems to play with a joy about him.

superdave
04-12-2017, 09:06 AM
Meeks always strikes me as a fun loving guy. He smiles a lot and seems to play with a joy about him.

Wash your mouth out with soap!

Spanarkel
04-12-2017, 09:16 AM

Funny you should mention that: Meeks seemed to be smiling even after being called for his fourth foul in the Gonzaga game. He politely called out "Mr. Mike..." to get referee Mike Eades to come over and explain the foul(and possibly provide reassurance that there wouldn't be a need to call a fifth foul on him down the stretch).

left_hook_lacey
04-12-2017, 09:43 AM
http://duke.247sports.com/Bolt/WATCH-Amile-Jefferson-Matt-Jones-Nolan-Smith-52252637

BONUS!! Had no idea he was touring with them. I'm going tonight at East Duplin High School. Can't wait. Hope to get some autographs. If Kennedy Meeks is as nice as everyone says, I'll be forced to watch him all night until I can find something negative to report back. Picked his nose. Dug out a wedgie and then shook hands with a fan. I'll take whatever I can get to represent Mt. Hatemore!

Fun Fact: DBR spell check does not recognize "wedgie" as a word. :cool:

left_hook_lacey
04-13-2017, 08:59 AM
Had a great time last night. All of the players involved were very accessible and gracious. Beejay Anya was there and was also super nice and absolutely wonderful with the small kids. Seems like a guy with a good outlook on life and I hope he keeps that attitude in whatever he ends up doing with his life.

Meeks was as advertised. Smiling the whole time, always looking for ways to make the game a little more fun for the crowd. At one point during the game, the ball bounced into the stands, Meeks ran after it and shot a 3 from the 3rd row and swished it. Fun moment.

Nolan and Luke were there. Super nice as expected. Luke didn't play but was taking pictures and signing all night from the time they came out on the floor. I never saw him turn anyone down. He did participate in the 3 point contest, however. The final was Luke and a local player that graduated from East Duplin several years ago. Guy was barely 5' 9", a little pudgy, but held the school record for points at a school that produced a player named J.J. Miller who went to NC Central and dropped like 40 on Duke when he played us and has had a long career playing in Europe. But J.J. was not the all time scoring leader, it was this kid. Looked like he should've been working at gamestop or something. Anyway, Luke makes 4 of 5 in the final round. Local kid makes 4 of 5. Luke looks down at him and throws his hands up as if to say "I can't get rid of this kid!" Sudden death. Local kid goes first. Makes 4 of 5 again. Luke makes 3 of 5 and gives the crowd and the local kid another priceless look. Another fun moment.

Again, if you're not one of the lucky ones that get to go to Cameron regularly or attend IronDuke functions that give close access to players, this is a great opportunity to see the players up close and personal and get some autographs.

Furniture
04-19-2017, 10:57 PM
https://mobile.twitter.com/bretstrelow/status/854845537585070080/video/1

serious fun!

devildeac
04-19-2017, 11:26 PM
Meeks always strikes me as a food loving guy. He smiles a lot and seems to play with an Almond Joy about him.

Couple clarifications. ;)

devildeac
04-19-2017, 11:31 PM
Funny you should mention that: Meeks seemed to be smiling even after being called for his fourth foul in the Gonzaga game. He politely called out "Mr. Mike..." to get referee Mike Eades to come over and explain the foul(and possibly provide reassurance that there wouldn't be a need to call a fifth foul on him down the stretch).

And his hand was on the *&^%ing end line and it was not a jump ball:

https://www.boston.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/04/prd-meth01-idx-bg.boston-13$large.jpg

UNCfan
04-20-2017, 08:09 AM

an even better look

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-20-2017, 08:31 AM

an even better look

Thanks for driving our point home so eloquently. Bless your heart.
Love, Ima

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-20-2017, 12:40 PM
Thanks for driving our point home so eloquently. Bless your heart.
Love, Ima

I admit, I chuckled.