PDA

View Full Version : MLax: Duke 11, ND 8

burnspbesq
04-08-2017, 02:12 PM
A couple of late goals make it look closer than it was. By far Duke's best performance of the season. More later.

MCFinARL
04-08-2017, 02:25 PM
I can't even. Happy with the Duke offense and tremendously impressed with the defense today. And finally, a top 5 win for Duke. Gives them a much clearer path to an at large bid for the NCAA tournament.

DST Fan
04-08-2017, 02:29 PM
The midfielders continue to develop and Danny Fowler was outstanding today.

DukieInKansas
04-08-2017, 02:58 PM
Great news!

WiJoe
04-08-2017, 03:16 PM
Terrific performance by "D-no's (Dino's?)" guys. Virginia next, then the Devils visit Milwaukee (marquette) on the 22nd. Looking forward to seeing the guys!

TKG
04-08-2017, 03:43 PM
Fowler was on fire between the pipes and Van Raaphorst played tremendous D.

duke2x
04-08-2017, 04:20 PM
I'll second the performance by Fowler & the D. It goes down toward the RPI as a high quality win today. If we haven't clinched an ACC tournament bid, we're very close and might have it by tomorrow night. You can check RPI after tomorrow, but I still think we need to beat UVA, Marquette, and BU to be comfortable on Selection Sunday. The computer doesn't like our schedule, which outweighs the eye test in lax.

Indoor66
04-08-2017, 04:21 PM
A very enjoyable game to watch

MCFinARL
04-08-2017, 05:36 PM
I'll second the performance by Fowler & the D. It goes down toward the RPI as a high quality win today. If we haven't clinched an ACC tournament bid, we're very close and might have it by tomorrow night. You can check RPI after tomorrow, but I still think we need to beat UVA, Marquette, and BU to be comfortable on Selection Sunday. The computer doesn't like our schedule, which outweighs the eye test in lax.

You meant NCAA bid, right? With a 2-1 ACC record I don't think Duke can miss the ACC tournament at this point.

I agree with you, generally speaking, on getting into the NCAAs, though I think it is possible Duke could lose one of those games and still be okay. As you note, it will depend on how much of an RPI boost Duke gets from this win.

DST Fan
04-08-2017, 06:08 PM
Laxpower is showing Duke's RPI ranking at 14th after today's win. I believe it was 19 after the UNC game.

sagegrouse
04-08-2017, 08:16 PM
Laxpower is showing Duke's RPI ranking at 14th after today's win. I believe it was 19 after the UNC game.

I never remember this stuff -- is it a 16-team bracket?

sagegrouse
04-08-2017, 08:18 PM

Looks like there may be a play-in game -- that would make 17 teams?

westwall
04-08-2017, 08:23 PM
A very enjoyable game to watch

I planned to watch, but my wife quoted the incorrect TV time from the WasPo. Grrr.
Happy for the win tho'

duke2x
04-08-2017, 08:36 PM
You meant NCAA bid, right? With a 2-1 ACC record I don't think Duke can miss the ACC tournament at this point.

I agree with you, generally speaking, on getting into the NCAAs, though I think it is possible Duke could lose one of those games and still be okay. As you note, it will depend on how much of an RPI boost Duke gets from this win.

I believe you are correct on the ACCT. Originally too lazy to go through all 16 scenarios, I only find one where Duke could fall to the 4 seed. I did this VERY quickly in my head and could be wrong.

buddy
04-08-2017, 10:38 PM

With the AQs, 14 won't get it done. Win next week, against Marquette, and at least one in the ACCT may be enough. The one goal loss to Air Force really stinks. Keep playing the way they have and they should be all right.

MCFinARL
04-08-2017, 11:00 PM
Looks like there may be a play-in game -- that would make 17 teams?

Yes, I think that is right. One play-in and then a field of 16 going from there.

Indoor66
04-09-2017, 07:34 AM

I always thought that Eight is Enough. :cool:

duke2x
04-09-2017, 10:56 PM
By my calculations, UVA will not make the ACC tournament after losing to UNC tonight. I was hoping for a Penn-UNC game.

Duke -- 75% of 2 seed, 12.5% of 3 seed, 12.5% of 3-way tie for 1st. Duke allowed 19 goals against Syracuse and UNC in that tiebreaker. Syracuse still needs to play @UNC.

MCFinARL
04-10-2017, 08:48 AM
By my calculations, UVA will not make the ACC tournament after losing to UNC tonight. I was hoping for a Penn-UNC game.

Duke -- 75% of 2 seed, 12.5% of 3 seed, 12.5% of 3-way tie for 1st. Duke allowed 19 goals against Syracuse and UNC in that tiebreaker. Syracuse still needs to play @UNC.

You are right that UVA's loss puts them in the showcase game against Penn. And I'm not sure if it affects your percentages (I admit, too lazy to calculate), but there are three remaining ACC games--UNC also needs to play at Notre Dame. And of course Duke still needs to play UVA. Conceivably we could end up with three 3-1 teams (Syracuse, Duke, UNC) or three 2-2 teams (Duke, UNC, ND) plus some additional variations.

BigWayne
04-10-2017, 11:01 AM
With the AQs, 14 won't get it done. Win next week, against Marquette, and at least one in the ACCT may be enough. The one goal loss to Air Force really stinks. Keep playing the way they have and they should be all right.

14 is right on the bubble actually. Out of all the conferences, there are only 3 that have no teams in the top 16. There could be as many as 14 at large teams, but likely a few less if the top teams get upset in some of the conference tourneys.

buddy
04-10-2017, 09:46 PM
14 is right on the bubble actually. Out of all the conferences, there are only 3 that have no teams in the top 16. There could be as many as 14 at large teams, but likely a few less if the top teams get upset in some of the conference tourneys.

Beware of bid stealers!

burnspbesq
04-10-2017, 11:34 PM
Realistically, there are only three possible bid-stealers: Binghamton in the America East, Towson in the CAA, and Loyola in the Patriot. SoCon, MAAC, NEC, and (probably) Ivy are one-bid leagues. Patriot, AE, CAA, are one-bid leagues if the current leaders (Army, Albany, and Hofstra) win. Unless something untoward happens, all the at-large bids are going to the Big Integer and the ACC.

When Quint jumps on your bandwagon, he jumps on with both feet. Duke at number four? Maybe in three weeks, but not today.

budwom
04-11-2017, 09:02 AM
Realistically, there are only three possible bid-stealers: Binghamton in the America East, Towson in the CAA, and Loyola in the Patriot. SoCon, MAAC, NEC, and (probably) Ivy are one-bid leagues. Patriot, AE, CAA, are one-bid leagues if the current leaders (Army, Albany, and Hofstra) win. Unless something untoward happens, all the at-large bids are going to the Big Integer and the ACC.

When Quint jumps on your bandwagon, he jumps on with both feet. Duke at number four? Maybe in three weeks, but not today.

I really don't think he's that far off, PB...I don't see us on the bubble at all, barring a breakdown in the final few games...

MCFinARL
04-11-2017, 09:44 AM

I really don't think he's that far off, PB...I don't see us on the bubble at all, barring a breakdown in the final few games...

I have to agree with Burns here--it seems too soon to jump Duke that high. "Barring a breakdown in the final few games" is the key phrase--if Duke wins out its regular season schedule (leaving aside what happens in the ACC tourney), I agree they should be solidly in the tournament and pretty highly ranked. But UVA, Marquette, and BU are all reasonably challenging games, and only one is in Durham. Duke is a young team this year--it's possible they may not meet that challenge.