PDA

View Full Version : I Will Never

DukeWarhead
04-05-2017, 02:12 PM
1. Watch the 2009 or 2017 One Shining Moment clips. Never have, never will.

2. I will never stop saying "Battier would never have let this happen" in frustration after a poor defense performance results in a loss. (all too frequent recently)

3. Never get over the fact that Boozer was fouled in 2002. Of course, you know to what I am referring. I just can't let it go.

4. I'll never again get carried away by recruiting news or pre-season predictions. This I swear. I'll need to practice cautious optimism with a capital 'C.'

5. I'll never stop believin'. Cuz Journey says so.

Fully aware I just started one of those threads that gets few views and no replies, but that's okay. It's called coping. Feel free to add your own "never"

moonpie23
04-05-2017, 02:41 PM
you can sign me up for 1, 2 &3...

sign me up with a flame thrower for #3...

rdearth15
04-05-2017, 02:51 PM
I Will Never

1- Stop hoping that Redick's scoring record gets threatened. Not because I want JJ to be knocked down to #2, but because it meant we had a stud that actually stayed all 4 years (this is not a knock on the one and done guys; it is more of the enjoyment of getting to watch a great player for 4 years grow)

2- Get over the fact that the '99 team DID NOT win it all (so much talent!!!)

3- Stop wondering how 2004 might have turned out differently had Shelden Williams NOT picked up his 3rd foul with 3:04 left in the 1st half

4- Forget the gut wrenching feeling when Gordon Hayward let the 3/4 court shot fly and for the entire way it looked good, only to be surpassed by the feeling of excitement as it bounced off the rim (2010 is my favorite title team because anyone outside of the Duke program and its fans never gave us a chance)

5- Get over how Tyus "Stones" could play like a heady/composed Senior as a Freshman

Indoor66
04-05-2017, 03:24 PM

2. I will never stop saying "Battier would never have let this happen" in frustration after a poor defense performance results in a loss. (all too frequent recently)

3. Never get over the fact that Boozer was fouled in 2002. Of course, you know to what I am referring. I just can't let it go.

4. I'll never again get carried away by recruiting news or pre-season predictions. This I swear. I'll need to practice cautious optimism with a capital 'C.'

Fully aware I just started one of those threads that gets few views and no replies, but that's okay. It's called coping. Feel free to add your own "never"

I agree with your list. I implore the whole board to adopt #4 to avoid the self inflicted pain of deflated expectation.

TKG
04-05-2017, 03:31 PM
I will never say anything negative about Roy Williams or UNCheat ever again......

I call BS on myself and give myself a red card!

Devilwin
04-05-2017, 05:30 PM
I agree with your list. I implore the whole board to adopt #4 to avoid the self inflicted pain of deflated expectation.

That's the hardest thing to do. I'm already falling into that trap. Looks like I would have learned something from this year. But it could have been awesome, minus all the injuries that kept us from coming together as a team..:(

kako
04-05-2017, 06:17 PM
1. Never forget Boozer was fouled. Also that Duhon didn’t right before it. And that JWill missed the FT before Boozer was fouled.
2. Never forget Dawkins was fouled (against Washington, 2nd round in 1984). This doesn’t seem to come up much, but I guess there’s no video available.
3. Never forget being up by 26-8 over the Hall in the 1989 FF, then losing by 17 with so many Devils fouling out. I was there.
4. Never pull for Carolina. Ever. Nor will I ever think it’s good that they have any modicum of success. Ever. And I will never wear that shade of blue nor acquire any item that color. Ever.
5. Never forget CWebb calling a TO, Fred Brown’s errant pass and now Meeks’ hand out of bounds.
6. Never forget 1991 and Hurley’s 3. Runner up – Hill’s alley waaayyy oop.
7. Never forget 1992 and 2.1 seconds.
8. Never forget 2001 and the Maryland comeback (twice)
9. Never forget 2010 and Haywood’s oh-so-close shot.
10. Never forget 2015 and Allen’s hustle on the ball out of bounds and screaming, “Let’s go!” afterwards.

There's one other event I'll never forget even though I want to, but it's too painful to mention other than 103-73.

MrPoon
04-05-2017, 06:29 PM
Rivers' shot waiving off Ryan Kelly imploring him to hurry up. Never forget.

J Will - Maryland 'nuf said.

Grant ..... Christian

uh_no
04-05-2017, 09:14 PM
let my duke blue glasses get in the way of solid data :)

Channing
04-05-2017, 10:00 PM
Forget Tyus Jones' "Homy crap I can't believe I just did that" face in the 2015 title game

Dukeford
04-05-2017, 10:06 PM
1. Never forget Boozer was fouled. Also that Duhon didn’t right before it. And that JWill missed the FT before Boozer was fouled.
2. Never forget Dawkins was fouled (against Washington, 2nd round in 1984). This doesn’t seem to come up much, but I guess there’s no video available.
3. Never forget being up by 26-8 over the Hall in the 1989 FF, then losing by 17 with so many Devils fouling out. I was there.
4. Never pull for Carolina. Ever. Nor will I ever think it’s good that they have any modicum of success. Ever. And I will never wear that shade of blue nor acquire any item that color. Ever.
5. Never forget CWebb calling a TO, Fred Brown’s errant pass and now Meeks’ hand out of bounds.
6. Never forget 1991 and Hurley’s 3. Runner up – Hill’s alley waaayyy oop.
7. Never forget 1992 and 2.1 seconds.
8. Never forget 2001 and the Maryland comeback (twice)
9. Never forget 2010 and Haywood’s oh-so-close shot.
10. Never forget 2015 and Allen’s hustle on the ball out of bounds and screaming, “Let’s go!” afterwards.

There's one other event I'll never forget even though I want to, but it's too painful to mention other than 103-73.

Hey, I remember #2 above. I even started a thread about it several years ago. Just dug up that old thread, too!

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8359-Didn-t-Dawkins-get-fouled

MCFinARL
04-05-2017, 11:27 PM
Stop wondering what would have happened against Oregon in 2011 if Kyle Singler hadn't had to leave the game briefly to stop bleeding--or for that matter, if Kyrie Irving had either come back a few games earlier or not come back at all.

Forget Jason Williams versus Maryland in 2001 (already mentioned at least once, I know).

Forget Thomas Hill weeping after The Shot.

Stop thanking Quinn Cook for choosing to be the leader Duke needed in 2015.

Forget Gene Banks and Kenny Dennard, my two favorite players on the first Duke team I cheered for (more than 20 years before I developed a true Duke connection by becoming a duke parent).

uh_no
04-05-2017, 11:32 PM
Stop wondering what would have happened against Oregon in 2011 if Kyle Singler hadn't had to leave the game briefly to stop bleeding--or for that matter, if Kyrie Irving had either come back a few games earlier or not come back at all.

They would have gotten a wake-up call at Kemba-time!!! :D

rsvman
04-05-2017, 11:37 PM
Stop wondering what would have happened against Oregon in 2011 if Kyle Singler hadn't had to leave the game briefly to stop bleeding--or for that matter, if Kyrie Irving had either come back a few games earlier or not come back at all...

Did you mean Arizona?

Bostondevil
04-05-2017, 11:47 PM
I will never get past the 20 years of academic fraud. Underneath the hatred, there used to be a grudging respect. That's gone and it will never come back.

kako
04-06-2017, 12:09 AM
Hey, I remember #2 above. I even started a thread about it several years ago. Just dug up that old thread, too!

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?8359-Didn-t-Dawkins-get-fouled

Yes, that's it. The game was in Pullman, which was Washington State's home court. Unlike if Carolina ever played in Cameron or visa versa, the crowd was pulling for the Huskies. There was a time run-off that wasn't caught, which forced the perfect alley-oop to Dawkins... but he got hammered at the basket. No call. Musberger commented in the studio that Duke was due more time and even then, there might have been a foul on the last play. K did schedule Washington the next year. Schrempf and Welp were their German stars. Duke hammered them in Cameron. I slept out for that game, it was friggin' cold. K-ville wasn't named K-ville yet. It was a satisfying win, but it didn't make up for the loss. It was Duke back in the tourney after enduring the two worst years in Duke history, my freshman and sophomore years. And then we got jobbed. I won't ever forget it.

Funny thing is I ended up going to grad school at UW. Watched their hoops, but never forgave them, never pulled for them. UW predictably went down the tubes after the Germans left. But K still had them come to Duke. While I was in grad school, they played in Cameron over an Xmas break, and they sucked. My hometown is Raleigh, so I was able to see the game in person. No students on campus, but I was there heckling the UW team personally as I knew their foibles. We hammered them again. Still didn't make up for the loss, but it was fun.

burnspbesq
04-06-2017, 01:25 AM
I will never forget ...

Jay Heaps destroying Jeff McGinnis with a perfectly legal shoulder charge.

Mistie Bass knocking Ivory Latta into next week.

The Shot, women's division: Jess Foley against UConn.

"Clean win by Costabile ..."

34-2

Mollie Pathman with a world championshp medal around her neck.

Becca Ward and Shannon Rowbury at the Beijing Olympics.

Marcus Stroman's six shutout innings in the WBC final.

accfanfrom1970
04-06-2017, 01:37 AM
I will never post on a UNCheats site....

Remembering what a joy it was watching Grant, Bobby, Christian....and Marty (and later another Marty, who didn't and still doesn't foul).

I will never forget Carlos sitting down in the bleachers with my kids after a game and talking about Alaska, he was like a gentle giant to them with that massive bear tattoo (my sister, a Duke grad, lived in Juneau).

Devils Librarian
04-06-2017, 09:24 AM

After the 2014 loss to Mercer my wife said she would never tell me what she thought about the potential of a Duke team until mid January. She has kept that promise.

DukeDevilDeb
04-06-2017, 09:43 AM
Rivers' shot waiving off Ryan Kelly imploring him to hurry up. Never forget.

J Will - Maryland 'nuf said.

Grant ... Christian

Seth Curry, not Ryan Kelly.

Go Devils!

lmb
04-06-2017, 10:14 AM
I will never forget ...

"Clean win by Costabile ..."

YES! YES! YES!
That was one shining moment for lax!

MCFinARL
04-06-2017, 10:23 AM
Did you mean Arizona?

Yes, of course i did, thanks. Apparently I will never stop posting when I am too tired to think straight either. sigh.

FadedTackyShirt
04-06-2017, 10:25 AM
I will never get past the 20 years of academic fraud. Underneath the hatred, there used to be a grudging respect. That's gone and it will never come back.

Amen. Calculated dismantling of academic integrity over decades is the only thing that would cause me to disassociate from Duke. Thanks for screwing a state and a great rivalry, Holes.

Spanarkel
04-06-2017, 01:04 PM
I will never:

1)forget getting my first Duke shirt('78 ACCT Champions)

2)forget attending the '78 Blue-White game with Spanarkel, G-man, Banks, Dennard et al, then seeing Spanarkel at mass in York Chapel the next morning

3)wear any unc or jumpman apparel

4)forget coming back home from the '91 ACCT final and thinking "we have a chance to win it all."

5)forget being a Duke chapel monitor the night Dennard came in and asked me for forgiveness of a number of sins while on his knees

6)forget calling my Dad many times at halftimes of underperforming Duke games and asking "what's wrong with Duke tonight?"

Tripping William
04-06-2017, 02:57 PM
I'm surprised no one has yet said, "Apologize to Jay Bilas." :o

Newton_14
04-06-2017, 08:46 PM
Pull for uncCheat

acknowledge their 1993, 2005, 2009, or Bread titles as legit....

JetpackJesus
04-06-2017, 09:39 PM
I had a pretty good view:

I did not storm the court.

weezie
04-07-2017, 07:36 AM
I'm surprised no one has yet said, "Apologize to Jay Bilas." :o

A pleasant laugh to begin the day with...