PDA

View Full Version : Hard Maple Floor-Basketball's perfect surface

NM Duke Fan
04-05-2017, 10:00 AM
This is a very interesting hsitorical article from a British newspaper. It made me think about Cameron and all the discussion regarding injuries and is there something amiss? Of course sub-surfaces are a different matter.

"From about the mid-1800s onward, maple flooring was popular because the wood was plentiful, so it was also inexpensive, but it was also durable and more stable. Maple flooring is harder than red oak, black walnut or cherry flooring, and its tight grain made it easier to clean and maintain."

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2017/apr/05/hard-maple-basketball-surface-nba

weezie
04-05-2017, 08:36 PM
Last paragraph of the article, mentioning the past few FF floors, I'm still deeply disappointed that Duke never offered pieces of the 2015 floor for sale. :(

lotusland
04-06-2017, 06:40 AM
I though the floor this year was unattractive and didn't suit the arena. Also there was a lot of slipping going on with that floor especially around the baseline. Several of the slips caused traveling violations that mercifully weren't called. I'm sure packing a football stadium is good for the bottom line but bad for the actual quality of play. I wonder how much the ticket sales impact the bottom line vs TV money? The 94 FF in Charlotte was awesome minus the Scottie Thurmond game winner.