PDA

View Full Version : Podcast questions NOW!!

JasonEvans
04-04-2017, 02:02 PM
The podcast team is going to do our end of the season wrapup and look ahead to summer tomorrow... if anyone has any burning questions they want us to answer/opine upon please PM me or post them here. We would love to do a quick listener mailbag kinda thing.

-Jason "we will record tomorrow and probably post it by Thursday or Friday at the latest" Evans

kAzE
04-04-2017, 02:31 PM
Given that so much is still up in the air as far as our roster for next season, in your opinions, what would be the single most significant thing that could happen (within the realm of possibility) between now and November that would best equip us to contend for a national championship contender in 2017-18, and why?

P.S. My handle is pronounced KAH-zay. (Think kamikaze)

flyingdutchdevil
04-04-2017, 02:35 PM
The podcast team is going to do our end of the season wrapup and look ahead to summer tomorrow... if anyone has any burning questions they want us to answer/opine upon please PM me or post them here. We would love to do a quick listener mailbag kinda thing.

-Jason "we will record tomorrow and probably post it by Thursday or Friday at the latest" Evans

My questions:

1) Can you put blame on some of the program's issues (Grayson's incident, injury management, short line-ups, transfers, early exit from the tournament) on the coaching staff? My take is that if the coaching staff deserves credit for the program's achievements, you better believe they deserve criticism for when things don't go well. Would love to get the podcast's perspective on this.

2) I do not believe Duke cannot develop big men. But why doesn't Coach K play a longer line-up for big men? This year, we arguably had the strongest collection of Duke big men talent in modern Duke history.

3) Have we gone full-blown Kentucky? There is so much reluctance to say we have, but the writing is on the wall. Next year, we may start only sophomores and freshman. That's Kentucky.

brevity
04-04-2017, 02:36 PM
I have a few questions about Final Four venues.

1. Should the sponsor of this year's venue sue the NCAA for keeping eligible a fraudulent champion that potentially could dilute a University of Phoenix degree?

2. More seriously, why does the quality of basketball go down in the Final Four? Shooting is terrible, flow is nonexistent. Even some of the more watchable games barely reflect the best that college basketball has to offer.

If the football stadiums are here to stay, then why not make the start times earlier, especially on Monday? Should the process for selecting/rewarding the officials be changed?

3. One way to get Final Four teams used to playing in a football stadium is by putting every regional in a football stadium as well. Imagine if the 3rd and 4th rounds of this tournament were played in the roofed stadiums closest to San Jose, Kansas City, Memphis, and New York. Would enough tickets get sold, or would it turn fans off even more? Would the game results change? Is it worth it to have worse play in the regionals in order to have better play in the Final Four?

Or, you know, you can grumble for an hour about poor officiating and the Redemption meme.

MartyClark
04-04-2017, 02:43 PM
I'm interested in some of the college life stuff in the summer.

1. Do all the returning and incoming players take a full load in summer school?

2. Are coaches allowed to be present at workouts or to supervise practices in the summer?

3. What kind of contact do K and the assistants have with the players in the summer?

4. What does K do this summer? No U.S. basketball for him. Does he go to the beach, play golf with Roy? What does K do for fun when the season is over?

Highlander
04-04-2017, 03:05 PM
Do you think Coach K's age (and probable retirement) will impact our recruiting in the near future? As a recruit who may be a 3-4 year guy, do you think this will eventually become a factor?

Why do you think Carolina won the National Title? What did they do that was so much better (in the FF) than Oregon and Gonzaga (other than score more points, obviously)?

Starting 5 for next year?

Pomona
04-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Is the GOAT coach's strategy wrong in using a short bench? The 2015 NC almost didn't happen due to foul trouble (thanks Grayson) and both UNC and Gonzaga had to use the bench due to fouls. Fouls, tired players and injuries require depth. Not suggesting subbing all starters, but would an 8 or 9 rotation be better than 7?

MrPoon
04-04-2017, 04:11 PM
1. How does the GOAT get OAD's to play champion level D? (I still think foul trouble and a poor zone cost us the USC game)
2. Seth (more) and Hood (less) have been perhaps our most impactful transfers. In a OAD era, the 'Zags had transfer help to tighten up experience and D. Is it time to revist that piece of the recruiting trail?
3. K coaching tree update (grading). Who has done the best on their own? Who is trending? (I know Quin Snyder struggled at Mizzu but he NEVER gets inculuded and he is in consideration for coach of the year in the NBA).
4. Someone with more time and knowlege can look into this; do Duke players get hurt more often? Seems like key players seem to get hurt more often (not just last year) and in the NBA it seems to be a regular occurrence. Maybe I am paying attention to Duke players more but Winslow, Parker, Okafor, etc.. seems like an annual occurrence.

Dev11
04-04-2017, 04:12 PM
When are you going to do a live show so people can come heckle you while you record?

blazindw
04-04-2017, 04:23 PM
When will JasonEvans visit DC and record a podcast on blazindw's couch, seeing as 2/3 of the podcast has already done so?

kako
04-04-2017, 05:12 PM
How about a "where are they now" segment, kind of what SI does in their summer issue? Look up a guy like who people might remember (player or assistant coach), report where he is and how he's doing. Interviews are obviously a stretch, but it would be interesting to know where someone how someone who didn't make the Association ended up. I wouldn't expect this tomorrow or even every podcast. But maybe once in a while.

theschwartz
04-04-2017, 06:27 PM
How much, if any, consideration have our assistants--especially Capel--been getting for head coaching jobs? How will Capel's performance (4-3 record) as the interim head coach this season impact his head coaching prospects and/or the likelihood that he takes over when the GOAT retires? It's a depressing topic, but is there any intel on who the most likelihood candidates are, whether they're all in the Duke tree or elsewhere?

Saratoga2
04-04-2017, 07:12 PM
Similar to some other questions here:
1. Coach K has indicated he would prefer to have a deeper rotation and tougher individuals presumably based on our defensive collapse vs South Carolina. If he can recruit and or maintain enough strong, athletic and talented players do you think me means to expand the rotation to 8 players or more with at least 10 minutes PT?

2. Am I correct in attributing coach K saying he needs to have a tougher team and if so what do you think he means by that? i take it that he means to have strong, athletic kids who have a take no prisoner attitude.

JeffNof
04-04-2017, 09:27 PM
1. Should there be concern about the amount of turnover in the program?

2. Besides 2015, has recruiting 1-n-dones for Duke really been a success?

3. I believe Giles is making a huge mistake entering the draft. If he can't beat anyone off the dribble and only has limited range, what value does he have in todays NBA? Why not stay 1 more year to rehab the knees at Duke's awesome facilities? K will then display him in the offense next season which leads him to be a top 5 pick.

Sorje
04-04-2017, 09:49 PM
Questions:

1. The Final Four teams primarily started experienced teams of juniors and seniors. Ideally the Duke roster would be comprise three and four year guys but less common today. Should we balance our OAD recruiting with more junior or senior transfers? Gonzaga started three such players in the final (Matthews, Williams-Goss and Williams). These players are known commodities with veteran experience.

2. Why does the pod think the ACC underperformed in the tourney? There is some element of poll over-rating but the non-conference wins in November and December were nevertheless impressive. Were the teams potentially exhausted from the league depth? There are no easy games to rest players as with other leagues.

JasonEvans
04-04-2017, 10:39 PM
WOW!

Ya'll are awesome. There are a bunch of really good questions here. We are not going to be able to tackle all of them -- some require research that we have not done and we just don't have time to handle everyting -- but we will answer at least 5 or 6 of these right now and will likely come back to answer more of them in future pods over the summer.

Thanks... and keep the questions coming!!