PDA

View Full Version : How to watch Duke games after cutting the cord?

FerryFor50
04-04-2017, 11:57 AM
I'm contemplating getting rid of cable/dish and wanted to see how others are managing their Duke basketball and football game watching after doing this.

I found this older thread, but wanted to see if there's any new update to how people are managing.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36714-Cutting-the-cord&highlight=cutting+cord

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-04-2017, 12:26 PM
I'm contemplating getting rid of cable/dish and wanted to see how others are managing their Duke basketball and football game watching after doing this.

I found this older thread, but wanted to see if there's any new update to how people are managing.

http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?36714-Cutting-the-cord&highlight=cutting+cord

Well, as long as you can procure an ESPN log in, you are covered... not sure of any other way to watch most of the conference games.

Selover
04-04-2017, 12:29 PM
I've been using PS Vue which is Playstation's streaming service. I believe it's about $20-$25/mo with no annual contract. I plan to cancel the service now that CBB is over and I will probably renew once CFB starts back up (unless I find another alternative). They have apps for PC/Mac as well as for smartphones and tablets so a PlayStation is not required. SlingTV and DirectTV Now are very similar services you may want to take a look at.

I will say that at times the quality can fade for a few seconds and there is a little bit more of a delay than you would see with TWC, DISH, or another big name - but to me it isn't that big of a deal since I only used live TV for a couple months/year.

This might help give a side-by-side:
http://www.tomsguide.com/us/sling-tv-vs-playstation-vue,review-2691.html

kAzE
04-04-2017, 12:31 PM
I canceled my Dish subscription prior to the season, and I've been using Sling with the extra sports package (includes ACC network), which costs $25 a month, and an antenna (free after initial purchase) for games on local channels. Using just these 2, I have not missed a single game in HD all season.

Dev11
04-04-2017, 12:47 PM
Well, as long as you can procure an ESPN log in, you are covered... not sure of any other way to watch most of the conference games.

Echo this. Find a friend or relative with ESPN access and use their login. ESPN and ESPN2 is almost everything you need for basketball, football you should have ESPNU/ESPN3. The occasional CBS game can be streamed on the CBS Sports app or pulled from an antenna.

MarcStarnes
04-04-2017, 12:49 PM
I canceled my Dish subscription prior to the season, and I've been using Sling with the extra sports package (includes ACC network), which costs $25 a month, and an antenna (free after initial purchase) for games on local channels. Using just these 2, I have not missed a single game in HD all season.

I also use Sling and the extra sports package, via a Roku, and I bought and use an antenna for two of the three tvs in my townhome, to get the OTA HD channels. I researched carefully, and for me this is the best option. I also do HULU without commercials and do netflix. If you want to start with a non-committment first option for cord-cutting, I suggest ROKU+Sling+Hulu+Netflix. Then change to whatever you see is best. That is good for me and my wife and daughters, age 13 and 10. I cut cable 3 years ago. (I also fought hard to reduce my internet etc costs...use consumer cellular for my 5 cell phones and land line...they are so much cheaper than verizon and other...so my internet/phones/TV costs are SOOO much less)

My only added info is you have to keep track of the market. It is changing at a million miles per hour. Sling changes (improves), other good options have come out that may fit you better, and in the last 3 years, there hasn't been a three-month window where things haven't changed significantly.

Just google "cord cutting" or something similar every few months, or have it on your personalized googlenews, and you'll be up to date on this quickly changing market.

The best thing is that with Sling, and many other options, being monthly, you are always free to switch if you see something better.

Hope this helps a few people. I spend lots of time, years ago, over the course of a couple weeks arriving at my current plans. Cord cutting feels so good.

Marc

kAzE
04-04-2017, 01:04 PM
Also, Sling has a 1 week free trial, in case you aren't sure your internet connection can handle streaming in HD.

Reilly
04-04-2017, 01:12 PM
... Cord cutting feels so good ...

But how do you satisfy the urge to have interminable phone calls involving multiple transfers between people and machines about unexplained, increased charges on your bill every couple of months?

azzefkram
04-04-2017, 01:18 PM
I used PS Vue this past season. It was $45/mth for the top end package. I was able to watch every game this season. After Duke was eliminated:mad:, I cancelled my subscription. I will start it up again next November. The service works on PC, Amazon Fire TV and I believe Apple TV. You also have access to the WatchESPN app with the subscription. The quality was quite good but highly dependent (understandably) on your internet connection.

I tried the free trial for Sling. It's not a bad alternative but I liked PS Vue a little bit more.

I can't remember the last time I regretted cutting the cord.

MPandolfi
04-04-2017, 01:43 PM
Like most of these I use an online streaming service (DirecTV Now in my case which includes ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN U/ESPN News, plus access to the ACC Network), Hulu, and a HD satellite for the local channels. It's fine other than a slight delay when watching games on ESPN. I'm saving about $100 a month from when I had a Comcast cable package.

I would research the options that the other posters have mentioned to see what one is best for you. Keep in mind that Hulu is coming out with a live streaming product (http://www.theverge.com/ces/2017/1/7/14195588/hulu-live-tv-streaming-internet-ces-2017) in the Fall, and the beta reviews have been positive. I'm hoping to switch over to that once it launches.

Edouble
04-04-2017, 01:46 PM
I used PS Vue this past season. It was $45/mth for the top end package. I was able to watch every game this season. After Duke was eliminated:mad:, I cancelled my subscription. I will start it up again next November. The service works on PC, Amazon Fire TV and I believe Apple TV. You also have access to the WatchESPN app with the subscription. The quality was quite good but highly dependent (understandably) on your internet connection.

I tried the free trial for Sling. It's not a bad alternative but I liked PS Vue a little bit more.

I can't remember the last time I regretted cutting the cord.

I used Playstation Vue as well.

For $29.99 I got every channel you need for basketball

ESPN
ESPN2
CBS
TNT
TBS
TruTV

Will keep the service through the NBA Draft, then cut it until November.

pfrduke
04-04-2017, 01:56 PM
I used Playstation Vue as well.

For $29.99 I got every channel you need for basketball

ESPN
ESPN2
CBS
TNT
TBS
TruTV

Will keep the service through the NBA Draft, then cut it until November.

Does PS Vue require the Playstation hardware? Or is it app-based, such that it might be available on an Apple TV, Firestick, Chromecast, or Roku?

eddiehaskell
04-04-2017, 02:03 PM
I use Direct TV Now. PS Vue is good too and $5 cheaper ($30).

elvis14
04-04-2017, 02:14 PM

I'm thinking this is a 2 step process. 1) Pick up a cold 6 pack 2) Walk across the neighborhood to my house :D

toooskies
04-04-2017, 02:20 PM
I subscribe to Sling on the PC connected to my TV every year, and every year it tends to crash about once every two hours on that platform. I'm probably going to try out Playstation Vue or Google's upcoming TV offering for next year.

luburch
04-04-2017, 02:28 PM
Does PS Vue require the Playstation hardware? Or is it app-based, such that it might be available on an Apple TV, Firestick, Chromecast, or Roku?

PS Vue does not require Playstation Hardware.

Also worth keeping an eye on YouTube TV. https://www.cnet.com/products/youtube-tv/preview/

azzefkram
04-04-2017, 02:36 PM

PS Vue does not require Playstation Hardware.

Also worth keeping an eye on YouTube TV. https://www.cnet.com/products/youtube-tv/preview/

Technically it does not need PS hardware, but it is much more difficult to cancel the subscription if you do not have the hardware. Your mileage may vary, however.

FerryFor50
04-04-2017, 03:16 PM
I'm thinking this is a 2 step process. 1) Pick up a cold 6 pack 2) Walk across the neighborhood to my house :D

Oh NOW you invite me. We could have unjinxed Duke against S. Carolina!

Matches
04-04-2017, 03:24 PM
I borrowed an ESPN login (swapped with my dad and let him use my netflix login), and have a digital antenna for local networks. Having both of our games be on TBS was a pain this year though - the March Madness app kind of sucks (and you need a cable login for that too).

I tried both sling and vue but found the streaming quality very poor on both. Might just be my internet connection but netflix, hulu & prime all work well on the same connection.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-04-2017, 03:26 PM
I borrowed an ESPN login (swapped with my dad and let him use my netflix login), and have a digital antenna for local networks. Having both of our games be on TBS was a pain this year though - the March Madness app kind of sucks (and you need a cable login for that too).

I tried both sling and vue but found the streaming quality very poor on both. Might just be my internet connection but netflix, hulu & prime all work well on the same connection.

My March Madness app was seamless this year.

chadlee989
04-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Can you use DVR on Sling or Vue? I like to sometimes go back and rewatch games if I have time

bluedev_92
04-04-2017, 04:49 PM
Can you use DVR on Sling or Vue? I like to sometimes go back and rewatch games if I have time

This is one of my issues. My understanding is that sling is not a DVR. Not sure if this has changed, but I think Vue will let you keep a program "recorded" for a month. I do like to watch certain Duke games many times...
Also as I was doing the math I was getting pretty close to the Comcast/Verizon prices for new customers once I added everything up. Enough Internet speed to run all of the family's devices is pretty expensive by itself. Then add to that sling/Netflix/vue. and your darn close to cable/fiber costs. And with cable/fios you get a dedicated dvr. Also, my understanding is picture quality is not as good

I really want to go the "cut the cord" direction, but it doesn't seem much of a benefit. I think as an earlier poster mentioned, it is worthwhile especially if you stop service of some of the extras when basketball season is over. I'm interested in others thoughts...

Edouble
04-04-2017, 05:05 PM

You can rewatch on Vue. I believe the last week of programming is available. I watched several games this year after they were over and was able to fast forward through the commercials.

lotusland
04-04-2017, 05:33 PM
I also use Sling and the extra sports package, via a Roku, and I bought and use an antenna for two of the three tvs in my townhome, to get the OTA HD channels. I researched carefully, and for me this is the best option. I also do HULU without commercials and do netflix. If you want to start with a non-committment first option for cord-cutting, I suggest ROKU+Sling+Hulu+Netflix. Then change to whatever you see is best. That is good for me and my wife and daughters, age 13 and 10. I cut cable 3 years ago. (I also fought hard to reduce my internet etc costs...use consumer cellular for my 5 cell phones and land line...they are so much cheaper than verizon and other...so my internet/phones/TV costs are SOOO much less)

My only added info is you have to keep track of the market. It is changing at a million miles per hour. Sling changes (improves), other good options have come out that may fit you better, and in the last 3 years, there hasn't been a three-month window where things haven't changed significantly.

Just google "cord cutting" or something similar every few months, or have it on your personalized googlenews, and you'll be up to date on this quickly changing market.

The best thing is that with Sling, and many other options, being monthly, you are always free to switch if you see something better.

Hope this helps a few people. I spend lots of time, years ago, over the course of a couple weeks arriving at my current plans. Cord cutting feels so good.

Marc

This is my solution as well. Roku with Sling, HD antenna and Netflix, Hulu, Amazon prime. I just nixed my $25 monthly Sling subscription today and I plan to ad HBO Go for $15/month to get caught up on HBO shows until College football season when I'll pickup Sling again. Glad to be rid of Sling temporarily. I have no interests in NBA or baseball and I found myself watching CNN way too much on Sling which is just totally depressing these days.

lotusland
04-04-2017, 05:45 PM
This is one of my issues. My understanding is that sling is not a DVR. Not sure if this has changed, but I think Vue will let you keep a program "recorded" for a month. I do like to watch certain Duke games many times...
Also as I was doing the math I was getting pretty close to the Comcast/Verizon prices for new customers once I added everything up. Enough Internet speed to run all of the family's devices is pretty expensive by itself. Then add to that sling/Netflix/vue. and your darn close to cable/fiber costs. And with cable/fios you get a dedicated dvr. Also, my understanding is picture quality is not as good

I really want to go the "cut the cord" direction, but it doesn't seem much of a benefit. I think as an earlier poster mentioned, it is worthwhile especially if you stop service of some of the extras when basketball season is over. I'm interested in others thoughts...

I just enjoy not flipping through 200 channels I don't want and then realizing I just lost an hour watching nothing in particular. FX, AMC, Sundance, TBS and others all have some good shows but they also have hours and hours of crap. I prefer to let other people figure out what is good then binge watch without commercials. I think I'm saving some money but mostly I'm watching what I want when in want. I watch more good shows and enjoy more time with the TV off than I ever did with cable.

lotusland
04-04-2017, 05:51 PM
If I could have 2 enhancements to my Roku/Sling setup it would be:
1. Less lag time behind TV so I could enjoy DBR chat more without spoilers
2. It Would be awesome if ESPN 3 replays were available on Sling

devil84
04-04-2017, 06:55 PM
Let me echo the Roku+SlingTV+Amazon Prime+Netflix+Hulu. It works very nicely.

There isn't a good DVR option for this, though. There are plenty of OTR DVRs that require a fairly hefty initial investment ($150-400) and then require a subscription. Meh. SlingTV, for an extra $5/month, has a cloud DVR, but it only works on certain channels. Surprisingly (not), this does not include the ESPN family of channels. You can, however, record many of the other sports channels. You can also use WatchESPN with the SlingTV (and it's smart enough to allow only one screen -- either WatchESPN or the SlingTV app on whatever device you're using), so you can watch delayed, but you have to wait the hour or whatever after the game ends until they make it available.

Most of what's on the other channels is available on demand, so there's little need for a DVR.

And if you're in one of the a few areas, like the Triangle, if you get the ESPN package, you can also get WTVD locally with no need for an antenna.

Note that to get the Fox and NBC sports channels, you'll need the Blue package in addition to the ESPN Orange package. Combined, they are $40/month. HOWEVER, if you have Blue, you can watch on THREE screens (so the spouse or children can watch something while you watch the game, OR, if the game is on Fox Sports or NBC Sports, your extended family can mooch off of your package, too (except ESPN/Disney channels).

There's a bit of a delay, up to two minutes, so participating in chats can be problematic. I find that I can check in at time-outs, but only for about 30 seconds or I'll read spoilers! It means I don't add much at all, because many participants are far ahead.

I've only had a few hiccups with this setup, nothing that has been more than a mild nuisance. I do wish I had the DVR ability to rewind for games -- but if I check in on the chat, other chat participants have already determined that the refs were wrong. ;)

Given that it's $20-$45/month (more if you add movie, kid, news, or other add-ons) and you only need it for 4-5 months for basketball, and maybe another 2 for football, it's the cheapest option out there. You can change packages, cancel, and restart at any time. Take advantage of the free week to see if you'd like it.

We need to revisit this at the start of next season, too. There will undoubtedly be other options by then.

pfrduke
04-04-2017, 07:04 PM
Let me echo the Roku+SlingTV+Amazon Prime+Netflix+Hulu. It works very nicely.

How much does this save you at the end of the day, though? If you're doing $40/mo on Sling, plus $10/month each on Netflix and Hulu, plus whatever it costs you to get high speed internet into the house, how much are you less than the cable/internet bundle?

We've moved out of our house while renovating and are moving back in shortly and I'm trying to assess various cord-cutting options, but finding that they wouldn't necessarily save us much money. Like $10-15/month, which isn't nothing, but doesn't necessarily overcome the convenience of normal TV, plus the DVR, etc.

devil84
04-04-2017, 07:18 PM
How much does this save you at the end of the day, though? If you're doing $40/mo on Sling, plus $10/month each on Netflix and Hulu, plus whatever it costs you to get high speed internet into the house, how much are you less than the cable/internet bundle?

We've moved out of our house while renovating and are moving back in shortly and I'm trying to assess various cord-cutting options, but finding that they wouldn't necessarily save us much money. Like $10-15/month, which isn't nothing, but doesn't necessarily overcome the convenience of normal TV, plus the DVR, etc.

My adult daughter gets the Netflix 4 screens subscription and shares it with us, we have Amazon Prime (which we'd have even if we had full cable), my adult son pays for the Hulu subscription. We pick up the Sling, and we only have it during sports season. Arguably, we could stop Netflix/Hulu during the season, and stop SlingTV for about 6 months a year.

It saves a lot. Even with cable, we'd still want Netflix. Hulu takes the place of the DVR for non-sports shows. I'd say we're saving at least $40-$60/month over what we were paying. We did not have any premium movie channels with cable, either.

pfrduke
04-04-2017, 08:25 PM
My adult daughter gets the Netflix 4 screens subscription and shares it with us, we have Amazon Prime (which we'd have even if we had full cable), my adult son pays for the Hulu subscription. We pick up the Sling, and we only have it during sports season. Arguably, we could stop Netflix/Hulu during the season, and stop SlingTV for about 6 months a year.

It saves a lot. Even with cable, we'd still want Netflix. Hulu takes the place of the DVR for non-sports shows. I'd say we're saving at least $40-$60/month over what we were paying. We did not have any premium movie channels with cable, either.

Family sharing is a good way to split the load. Now if I could just get the 3-year-old to start pulling his weight and pitching in for the Netflix account...