PDA

View Full Version : Anyone Willing to Apologize to Jay Bilas?

BD80
04-04-2017, 08:56 AM
Bilas bashing is a popular sport on these boards, particularly if he says anything good about carolina, which is construed as sucking up to his carolina boss at ESPN or as selling out Duke to go overboard in proving that he is not biased.

How about that maybe, just maybe, Jay knows a thing or two about college basketball?

Every summer he visits programs and talks to players and coaches about their teams and other teams and players in the conference. He has played at the highest level of college ball and has been an assistant to the GOAT. He does his homework, and has a good rapport with current and past players and coaches.

Jay picked unc at the beginning of the year to win it all and was excoriated on these boards.

Any apologies?

uh_no
04-04-2017, 09:04 AM
Any apologies?

no. he was a pompous jerk to a nice old lady and friend of mine at a game who asked him about grayson, to which he responded

I only speak the truth. If you don't like it, you can get your own show.

guy is so full of himself. I can't imagine any alumni I hope gets a dose of humility at some point more than him. I don't care if he's vindicated in anything he predicts; I lost whatever shred of respect I had remaining for him that day.

Ichabod Drain
04-04-2017, 09:07 AM
Bilas bashing is a popular sport on these boards, particularly if he says anything good about carolina, which is construed as sucking up to his carolina boss at ESPN or as selling out Duke to go overboard in proving that he is not biased.

How about that maybe, just maybe, Jay knows a thing or two about college basketball?

Every summer he visits programs and talks to players and coaches about their teams and other teams and players in the conference. He has played at the highest level of college ball and has been an assistant to the GOAT. He does his homework, and has a good rapport with current and past players and coaches.

Jay picked unc at the beginning of the year to win it all and was excoriated on these boards.

Any apologies?

Jay didn't even have UNC in the final four... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18007429/duke-blue-devils-overwhelming-favorite-win-national-title-2016-2017

CDu
04-04-2017, 09:09 AM

Any apologies?

Why should apologies be necessary? UNC was not the best team this year. That they won a six-game single-elimination tourney doesn't change that. Just like UConn wasn't the best team in 2011 or 2014. Nor was Villanova in 1985. And so on.

I am sure that Bilas knew through his crystal ball for example, that: Allen would suffer multiple injuries and a suspension; Jefferson would get hurt again; Coach K's back would require surgery; and that neither Giles nor Bolden would ever get to be useful.

Edit: and apparently he DIDN'T pick UNC from the very beginning.

uh_no
04-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Jay didn't even have UNC in the final four... http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18007429/duke-blue-devils-overwhelming-favorite-win-national-title-2016-2017

he did in the chronicle's bracket pick where he finished 18 overall
http://brackets.dukechronicle.com/tournaments/chronicle-bracket-challenge-ncaa-tournament-2017/leaderboard

accfanfrom1970
04-04-2017, 09:14 AM
If he talked about UNCheats and the scandal at all....I would have respect for him. Loved him as a player. Met him at several reunion type events. Have lost respect for him and others as they ignore the scandal and heap of piling S#$#t at the dump down the road from a really great university.

Indoor66
04-04-2017, 09:34 AM
To the Thread Question: WHY?

azzefkram
04-04-2017, 10:22 AM
Only if he's willing to apologize for his "acting" in I Come In Peace.

kAzE
04-04-2017, 10:23 AM
I don't think many people question Jay's intelligence or basketball knowledge. He's just kind of a corporate sellout, as others have pointed out. I like him as a broadcaster more than Jay Williams, though . . .

Edouble
04-04-2017, 10:49 AM
Offseason Day One: thread on whether we love or hate Jay Bilas... carry on.

Natty_B
04-04-2017, 10:51 AM
Offseason Day One: thread on whether we love or hate Jay Bilas... carry on.

He gave a great talk at Duke summer basketball camp in like 1990 (when I was a camper there). So I'll always like him just for that. You had to be there.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-04-2017, 11:28 AM
I can't bring myself to dislike Jay because he recognizes positive qualities in our rival - you certainly have the right to feel otherwise.

Moreover,I respect very much his unwavering diatribe against the NCAA for so many reasons.

I have been continually perplexed by his defense of UNC in regards to the scandal, but I suppose for Jay it goes into the bucket of "the NCAA can't do anything right."

As a broadcaster, I generally enjoy his commentary and his self-deprecating humor. He knows a lot about basketball and ocassionally has good insight.

All this to say - I don't feel it necessary to apologize to Jay.

sagegrouse
04-04-2017, 11:38 AM
Jay is paid to utter opinions on TV. If someone would pay me, I would be happy to proffer an apology to Jay, even though, to be honest, I have been a Jay-supporter on these boards.

wsb3
04-04-2017, 11:42 AM

Any apologies?

No. Not since his sing around the campfire with Huck. Gee..maybe when all the players were saying they did not share McCants experience he could have asked if they would prove it by showing their transcript.

jacone21
04-04-2017, 11:48 AM
Only if it can be done in 94 ft.

Jeffrey
04-04-2017, 11:55 AM
IMO, Jay is a starter. I'd prefer Grant, but teams also need roleplayers like Jay.

Old Gold 89
04-04-2017, 11:55 AM
I love Bilas. I think it's ridiculous how he gets criticized whenever he says anything critical of Duke or positive towards Carolina. I don't always agree with him, but I can't remember a time when I thought he was being unreasonable.

El_Diablo
04-04-2017, 12:10 PM
I don't always agree with him, but I can't remember a time when I thought he was being unreasonable.

On Roy Williams' head-in-the-sand excuse with respect to McCants' fake classes, Bilas said: "The idea, somehow, that a coach—especially when you go back to 2005—would know about the players’ choices in classes and electives when they’re juniors, I don’t believe that’s the case, and I believe Roy Williams.”

superdave
04-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Any apologies?

I dont have a problem with Bilas picking UNC. I do think if he cannot bring himself to call massive academic fraud at UNC what it is because of his own views (or his bosses at Espn), he cannot be a credible critic of the NCAA any longer.

It's one or the other.

wsb3
04-04-2017, 01:29 PM
I dont have a problem with Bilas picking UNC. I do think if he cannot bring himself to call massive academic fraud at UNC what it is because of his own views (or his bosses at Espn), he cannot be a credible critic of the NCAA any longer.

It's one or the other.

Sporks for this post..

bob blue devil
04-04-2017, 05:31 PM
am i willing to apologize to jay bilas?

my impression is that he has used his platform to espouse positions related to the unc scandal that appear inconsistent with his maintaining integrity. did something new come out that i missed that shows this impression was invalid? i don't give a crap who he picked to win the title - that act is for fools anyway.

duke4ever19
04-04-2017, 05:51 PM
I've done nothing to Jay Bilas that would necessitate my needing to offer an apology.

He critiques and gives opinions. He's neither the oracle at Delphi, nor is he some "wise man of the world" like Montaigne.

I hold him in no higher esteem than I do anybody else. He guessed (correctly) who the national champ would be. He was correct this year, but also mistaken in other years. He earns no laurels from me for silly stuff like guessing the winner of a sporting event.

He has his own point of view as to the NCAA vs. UNC matter. So do I. Our points of view sometimes overlap and sometimes they diverge on these matters, which tend to be in matters of ethics and jurisdiction, which quickly muddies the waters. The problem lies in interpretation and Jay might end up being correct in how this scandal ultimately works out in the courts etc., but that doesn't change the fact that we are seeing more-or-less the same thing and disagreeing on what to make of it.

lotusland
04-04-2017, 05:55 PM

Any apologies?
Nope I just don't like him. He likes himself enough for both of us.

Atlanta Duke
04-04-2017, 06:16 PM

Any apologies?

In November Bilas predicted a Final Four of Duke, Kentucky, Kansas and Villanova, with Duke to win it all

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/18007429/duke-blue-devils-overwhelming-favorite-win-national-title-2016-2017

Bilas said last November the best case scenario for UNC for this past season was Elite Eight

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/17919477/2016-season-preview-no-6-north-carolina-tar-heels

Preseason predictions are tough to get right (as Duke fans certainly know after this season), but nothing there that makes Jay Bilas someone who merits an apology because it confirms his wonderfulness that must be acknowledged by one and all

Henderson
04-04-2017, 09:07 PM
This whole thread makes me worry that some DBR people might have very small lives.

The subtlety of Jay Bilas's comments interests you enough to post your point of view here? ("Oh look, he nodded! An ancient symbol associated with the papacy, which means purple! What team does he love? Does he worship a false god? Please Jay, we fear ... well, frankly some of us fear so much...)

Does your wife know about your Jay Bilas obsession?

Atlanta Duke
04-04-2017, 09:29 PM
This whole thread makes me worry that some DBR people might have very small lives.

The subtlety of Jay Bilas's comments interests you enough to post your point of view here? ("Oh look, he nodded! An ancient symbol associated with the papacy, which means purple! What team does he love? Does he worship a false god? Please Jay, we fear ... well, frankly some of us fear so much...)

Does your wife know about your Jay Bilas obsession?

But posting on why DBR posters post about Jay Bilas is confirmation of a very large life?:confused:

It is a sports message board - hard to slice which threads are "important" and which are "small" when all you are dealing with is opinions on games that are supposed to be an entertaining diversion for fans and not matters of monumental importance for those not directly involved with the program

duketaylor
04-04-2017, 09:34 PM
"I can't imagine any alumni I hope gets a dose of humility at some point more than him. I don't care if he's vindicated in anything he predicts; I lost whatever shred of respect I had remaining for him that day."

I'd go with Feinstein, "met" him twice and he had no time to speak to me and basically just walked away.

That being typed, Jay seems to go out of his way to not look like he's a Duke guy; as in anti-Duke. And often pro-unc. Pains me. Jay Williams less so. G-man and Spanarkel are very neutral and I can't tell any bias at all. I also like Jason Capel and Brad Daugherty, in covering the other side.

I haven't met Jay, even though we were in school at the same time.

FadedTackyShirt
04-04-2017, 09:56 PM
"I can't imagine any alumni I hope gets a dose of humility at some point more than him. I don't care if he's vindicated in anything he predicts; I lost whatever shred of respect I had remaining for him that day."

I'd go with Feinstein, "met" him twice and he had no time to speak to me and basically just walked away.

That being typed, Jay seems to go out of his way to not look like he's a Duke guy; as in anti-Duke. And often pro-unc. Pains me. Jay Williams less so. G-man and Spanarkel are very neutral and I can't tell any bias at all.

Have encountered all of the above Dukies in and around Cameron on game days and all but Feinstein are received cordially.

Feinstein wrote a great book about the beloved '78 Duke team, but he's treated like Newman from Seinfeld on campus.

grateful_duke
04-05-2017, 04:11 PM
Not to mention that said "carolina boss" hires more former Duke players than any other school.......

86devils
04-06-2017, 10:21 AM
...of which I am absolutely certain is that Jay would not give a hoot one way or the other with respect to any apologies coming his way. He is a broadcaster and a lawyer. Professionally speaking, his purpose on this earth is to make arguments and move on to the next argument. Emotions simply don't factor in, before, during, or after the argument is made.

That is not to say that their is no value in reflecting on our own views about the program we love and those who cover it, especially when those people are fellow alumni. But it is an exercise only for our own benefit.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-06-2017, 11:02 AM
...of which I am absolutely certain is that Jay would not give a hoot one way or the other with respect to any apologies coming his way. He is a broadcaster and a lawyer. Professionally speaking, his purpose on this earth is to make arguments and move on to the next argument. Emotions simply don't factor in, before, during, or after the argument is made.

Emotions are more of a Stephen A Smith thing.

rasputin
04-06-2017, 11:02 AM
Emotions are more of a Stephen A Smith thing.

I thought Stephen A. Smith's thing was idiocy.

Reilly
04-06-2017, 12:39 PM
This whole thread makes me worry that some DBR people might have very small lives ...

I'm not worried about it; it's why I'm here. I need folks whose lives are uncluttered enough that they get Marty Pocius playing time references ten years later.

uh_no
04-06-2017, 01:17 PM
I'm not worried about it; it's why I'm here. I need folks whose lives are uncluttered enough that they get Marty Pocius playing time references ten years later.

didn't he have trouble staying on the floor because of foul trouble? I really can't recall :)

devildeac
04-06-2017, 01:37 PM
didn't he have trouble staying on the floor because of foul trouble? I really can't recall :)

And all the people said...

Marty doesn't foul. :rolleyes:

Devils Librarian
04-06-2017, 03:06 PM
My guess at the reason for the high level of frustration with Jay Bilas (which I share) is that we live in the state of North Carolina, where we are surrounded by media members who are unabashedly UNC homers, and we are starving for someone to take up our banner in a similar way.

weezie
04-06-2017, 03:50 PM
...we live in the state of North Carolina, where we are surrounded by media members who are unabashedly UNC homers, and we are starving for someone to take up our banner in a similar way.

I'd like to help but I have enough problems living up here in exurban VA. Some single-toothed, drooling, hole enthusiast (probably a decorated Morehead Scholar) threw a cup of soda across the hood of my car this past Tuesday morning when he noticed the Duke plates as he pointed out how much he thinks Duke stinks. Albeit, he put it far less delicately but I'm sure the gentle readers here get the point.

Care to guess what my reaction was?

Newton_14
04-06-2017, 07:38 PM
I'd like to help but I have enough problems living up here in exurban VA. Some single-toothed, drooling, hole enthusiast (probably a decorated Morehead Scholar) threw a cup of soda across the hood of my car this past Tuesday morning when he noticed the Duke plates as he pointed out how much he thinks Duke stinks. Albeit, he put it far less delicately but I'm sure the gentle readers here get the point.

Care to guess what my reaction was?

Wow. That makes me want to take a drive up to Virginia. OMG. I would have broke something!! Nose, arm, hard to say. Seriously. I'm no longer twenty-something but it would have been on Weezie. Ouch that burns me up! Uggh!!

Please tell me you smacked the crap out of him??

weezie
04-06-2017, 09:54 PM
Why did I refuse to get that concealed carry permit a few years ago??? Oh yeah, kids and stuff.

Rest assured, I'm pretty sure the depth my offended sensibilities was adequately conveyed. Lots of lunatics out there these days.

WVDUKEFAN
04-06-2017, 10:23 PM
Hell no

du_bb1
04-07-2017, 07:31 AM
I actually like Jay as an announcer--he may a bit overboard about not being Duke centric-
but still gives his honest opinion without too much bs-not that I necessarily agree all the time

superdave
04-07-2017, 10:47 AM
I actually like Jay as an announcer--he may a bit overboard about not being Duke centric-
but still gives his honest opinion without too much bs-not that I necessarily agree all the time

I think Bilas was better a few years ago. Espn is pushing personalities more than highlights and x and os. I preferred Bilas when he was more x and o oriented. Hope he does not go overboard the way Vitale did with the schtick.

uh_no
04-07-2017, 11:07 AM
I think Bilas was better a few years ago. Espn is pushing personalities more than highlights and x and os. I preferred Bilas when he was more x and o oriented. Hope he does not go overboard the way Vitale did with the schtick.

He hasn't already?

the number of times you hear about the NCAA fails at this, the rules are wrong and need to be changed yesterday about that...doesn't matter if it's an amateurismrule , academic rule, travel rule, on the court rule, or hyrule.

Guy doesn't ever concede that there might be some merit to opposing views, and everyone who doesn't fully agree with him is an idiot. That's what he wants to make sure you know when you listen to him. That he's right and he's smarter than you.

That's his schtick, and it's long gone way overboard.