PDA

View Full Version : Quip toothbrush

fuse
04-04-2017, 08:33 AM
Anyone out there using a quip toothbrush and care to comment on the experience?

BD80
04-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Does one use a quip toothbrush with tongue-in-cheek?

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-04-2017, 09:54 AM

This seems an appropriate thread for me to leave my signature in.

ricks68
04-04-2017, 12:38 PM
An old style inexpensive brush is still the best. Come on over for a beer with William one day and I'll 'splain it all to you. It's the flossing that's the most important, and that fact was verified by the refutation by almost the entire dental community of the bogus researcher that said it isn't. As a former Prosthodontist, in a previous life, whose primary job was to fix other dentists' screw ups and patients' lack of even half-decent dental care, I can tell and show you all you need to know to alleviate most of your future possible dental problems. It's your choice, however, whether you (or anyone else) will listen or not.

Note: It's mostly how you use something, rather than the perceived difference in what you are using, that makes the difference.

ricks

brevity
04-04-2017, 12:50 PM
Note: It's mostly how you use something, rather than the perceived difference in what you are using, that makes the difference.

You know, my girlfriend keeps telling me that, but I remain suspicious. (Let's see your Quip toothbrush tell THAT joke.)

ricks68
04-04-2017, 12:56 PM
You know, my girlfriend keeps telling me that, but I remain suspicious. (Let's see your Quip toothbrush tell THAT joke.)

Got a biiiiiig laugh out of that one! Thanks.😂😂😂

ricks

Reilly
04-04-2017, 01:28 PM

Unable to spork, so I'll just say that was a lip-smacking good pun.

fuse
04-04-2017, 04:18 PM
An old style inexpensive brush is still the best. Come on over for a beer with William one day and I'll 'splain it all to you. It's the flossing that's the most important, and that fact was verified by the refutation by almost the entire dental community of the bogus researcher that said it isn't. As a former Prosthodontist, in a previous life, whose primary job was to fix other dentists' screw ups and patients' lack of even half-decent dental care, I can tell and show you all you need to know to alleviate most of your future possible dental problems. It's your choice, however, whether you (or anyone else) will listen or not.

ricks

I may DM for more info.

I find your response informative if somewhat counterintuitive. My dentist recommends Sonicare (which I use). Even though they sell them, I typically buy from Target, Amazon, etc. Even if I did buy from my dentist I'd find it hard to believe there's any real profit in it for them.

I was asking about the quip as it appears smaller/more travel friendly than the sonicare.

Have to admit I am enjoying the unintended thread to encourage more puns. Good stuff!

ricks68
04-04-2017, 05:48 PM
I may DM for more info.

I find your response informative if somewhat counterintuitive. My dentist recommends Sonicare (which I use). Even though they sell them, I typically buy from Target, Amazon, etc. Even if I did buy from my dentist I'd find it hard to believe there's any real profit in it for them.

I was asking about the quip as it appears smaller/more travel friendly than the sonicare.

Have to admit I am enjoying the unintended thread to encourage more puns. Good stuff!

Not a big difference between either, really, if you do it right. Also, you don't have to use floss on all your teeth,---------just the ones you want to keep.

ricks

ricks68
04-04-2017, 05:56 PM
I may DM for more info.

Another side note: Tooth brushing isn't much good at getting out the BBQ left stuck between your teeth, be it NC pulled pork or Texas beef. Floss is the way to go.

ricks

Reilly
04-04-2017, 08:16 PM
Another side note: Tooth brushing isn't much good at getting out the BBQ left stuck between your teeth, be it NC pulled pork or Texas beef. Floss is the way to go.

ricks

And a Waterpik to powerwash the peanut butter off after the nonstop PB&J sandwiches?

weezie
04-04-2017, 09:10 PM
Sheesh, GROSS!

BD80
04-04-2017, 10:38 PM
And a Waterpik to powerwash the peanut butter off after the nonstop PB&J sandwiches?

You could use grape juice in the waterpik ...

Reddevil
04-05-2017, 02:35 PM

ricks

Although we are having fun with this thread, this part of it is obviously important. Care to elaborate a little? I get the flossing and brushing, but you seem to be alluding to a technic. I am intrigued.:confused:

ricks68
04-05-2017, 04:23 PM
Although we are having fun with this thread, this part of it is obviously important. Care to elaborate a little? I get the flossing and brushing, but you seem to be alluding to a technic. I am intrigued.:confused:

Use the Bass or Modified Bass technique while brushing and wrap the floss around each adjacent tooth that the floss is put between as you go up and down with it before pulling it back out. Look this stuff up on the net for more clarification. Floss at least twice a day, after getting up and right before bed. Same with brushing. Start flossing with a watch or some kind of timer on the sink counter and time how long it takes you. After a little practice it should normally take less than 90 seconds (unless you have additional specific oral care problems that require more). Waxed floss is good, as it shreds very little. I use J&J, and get the largest amount I can over the counter--usually 55 yrds. I find the best priced amounts and then pick up about a half dozen at a time. The watch is needed initially so that you realize that the trade off for only 90 seconds of your time is a stupendous deal. Many more teeth are lost due to gum problems than decay, and regular flossing is even more critical in the prevention of gum disease than preventing decay. I have lots more good advice for anyone that requests it. I hope that helped.

Oh, a standard Oral B toothbrush is much better than the other gimmicky ones with bristles going every which way. I use a 311 soft GUM brush that is hard to find, but then, I usually order 12 dozen at a time directly through a dentist for me and my wife to use. That amount lasts for many years, as they should be thrown out after about a month or so when the bristles get a little ratty. Since they raised the price on me to about 7 bucks a dozen when I ordered my last batch about 4 years ago, I expect my next batch in about 3 or 4 years to cost more.

I may post more in the future, if requested, to back up any credibility issues about the dental advice I am offering, as it is the ONLY thing that I really know a lot about. (Except my prejudice about Texas BBQ over basically tasteless pulled pork.)

ricks

devildeac
04-05-2017, 04:47 PM
Use the Bass or Modified Bass technique while brushing and wrap the floss around each adjacent tooth that the floss is put between as you go up and down with it before pulling it back out. Look this stuff up on the net for more clarification. Floss at least twice a day, after getting up and right before bed. Same with brushing. Start flossing with a watch or some kind of timer on the sink counter and time how long it takes you. After a little practice it should normally take less than 90 seconds (unless you have additional specific oral care problems that require more). Waxed floss is good, as it shreds very little. I use J&J, and get the largest amount I can over the counter--usually 55 yrds. I find the best priced amounts and then pick up about a half dozen at a time. The watch is needed initially so that you realize that the trade off for only 90 seconds of your time is a stupendous deal. Many more teeth are lost due to gum problems than decay, and regular flossing is even more critical in the prevention of gum disease than preventing decay. I have lots more good advice for anyone that requests it. I hope that helped.

Oh, a standard Oral B toothbrush is much better than the other gimmicky ones with bristles going every which way. I use a 311 soft GUM brush that is hard to find, but then, I usually order 12 dozen at a time directly through a dentist for me and my wife to use. That amount lasts for many years, as they should be thrown out after about a month or so when the bristles get a little ratty. Since they raised the price on me to about 7 bucks a dozen when I ordered my last batch about 4 years ago, I expect my next batch in about 3 or 4 years to cost more.

I may post more in the future, if requested, to back up any credibility issues about the dental advice I am offering, as it is the ONLY thing that I really know a lot about. (Except my prejudice about Texas BBQ over basically tasteless pulled pork.)

ricks

Good advice.

You'd know a lot more about beer if you'd drink some of that stuff in your fridge instead of sequestering it for years. :p:rolleyes:

ricks68
04-05-2017, 05:21 PM
Good advice.

You'd know a lot more about beer if you'd drink some of that stuff in your fridge instead of sequestering it for years. :p:rolleyes:

I have not been feeling well the next day after drinking beer for a number of months now. I have trouble getting to sleep afterwards, also. That's why I have been sequestering it, unfortunately. Sigh.😕

ricks

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-05-2017, 05:27 PM
I have not been feeling well the next day after drinking beer for a number of months now. I have trouble getting to sleep afterwards, also. That's why I have been sequestering it, unfortunately. Sigh.😕

ricks

Careful - words like that might get you evicted from Beer City, USA

devildeac
04-05-2017, 05:41 PM
I have not been feeling well the next day after drinking beer for a number of months now. I have trouble getting to sleep afterwards, also. That's why I have been sequestering it, unfortunately. Sigh.��

ricks

Sorry to hear that. :(

Sounds like you need to have a party and/or a fire sale. ;)

ricks68
04-06-2017, 12:41 AM
Sorry to hear that. :(

Sounds like you need to have a party and/or a fire sale. ;)

No way on fire sale. Big way on party.:)

ricks

Reilly
04-06-2017, 12:28 PM
I have not been feeling well the next day after drinking beer for a number of months now. I have trouble getting to sleep afterwards ...

Sounds like you need to do your drinking earlier in the day (or quit trying to take naps in the middle of the day).

ricks68
04-06-2017, 05:05 PM
Sounds like you need to do your drinking earlier in the day (or quit trying to take naps in the middle of the day).

I think your second thought would then not be possible if I followed your first, using that bit of reasoning.;) Thanks for your input, however.

ricks

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-06-2017, 06:00 PM
I think your second thought would then not be possible if I followed your first, using that bit of reasoning.;) Thanks for your input, however.

ricks

Both naps and afternoon beers are much easier when retired.

I assume.

Reddevil
04-06-2017, 09:02 PM

ricks

Thanks! Apparently I have been overbrushing. My dentist can tell I use my left hand. Amazing we can be doing something so important - wrong our whole lives. More posts like this would be great. Videos on brushing and flossing are good too. I just never thought about techniques. You brush, you floss, you daydream while doing it....wrong!

Reilly
04-06-2017, 10:11 PM
Both naps and afternoon beers are much easier when retired.

I assume.

"It's the naps you don't take that you regret the most." - my favorite New Yorker dog-talking-to-dog cartoon.

weezie
04-07-2017, 07:43 AM
What about flavored dental floss? Is my new craze for cinnamon flavored dental floss just another wacky cool kid trend? I am nothing if not a fashion forward consumer.

weezie
04-07-2017, 07:46 AM
...Videos on brushing and flossing are good too...

Yes, well, sure. Links only please. Sounds rather off-putting for a non-dental gathering of the minds such as we have here on DeeBer...:eek:

budwom
04-07-2017, 09:23 AM
good time to opine that CVS store brand floss sucks, as does just about every other store product from those dolts.

devildeac
04-07-2017, 09:39 AM
good time to opine that CVS store brand floss sucks, as does just about every other store product from those dolts.

Mrs. dd and I have been very satisfied with the Harris Teeter brand waxed floss at about $2 for a 100 yard package. Difficult to shred, non-flavored (she hates mint) and readily available. The Food Lion brand is horrible.

rthomas
04-07-2017, 10:45 AM
Any truth to this?

http://www.medicaldaily.com/benefits-mouthwash-listerine-may-act-gonorrhea-treatment-inhibiting-bacteria-406968

Not that I need it right now, but something to keep in mind for the future.

budwom
04-07-2017, 01:05 PM
Mrs. dd and I have been very satisfied with the Harris Teeter brand waxed floss at about $2 for a 100 yard package. Difficult to shred, non-flavored (she hates mint) and readily available. The Food Lion brand is horrible.

that sort of sums up the difference between the Heater Tweeter and the Food Lyin' right there. Tough indeed to find the 100 yard non flavored...

weezie
04-07-2017, 01:44 PM
Any truth to this?

http://www.medicaldaily.com/benefits-mouthwash-listerine-may-act-gonorrhea-treatment-inhibiting-bacteria-406968

Holy moly....:eek:

left_hook_lacey
04-07-2017, 02:17 PM
Any truth to this?

Clicked on this link during my lunch break. My manager walked up behind me and said, "Checking for a friend?" He laughed an walked away without giving me a chance to explain. :(

rsvman
04-07-2017, 04:50 PM
I've been using modified Bass technique with an old school brush in the morning, and using an Oral B electric at night. Works for me.

I floss very thoroughly, but only once a day. I could prolly do twice, if it really helps.

proffy
12-26-2018, 05:56 AM
I've stopped using plastic toothbrushes because of plastic pollution. I've found a bamboo toothbrush (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078H8FJWW) as an alternative. Just think about it: one person can throw away from one to a dozen brushes per year. Only in the USA we throw away over one !billion! brushes each year! I think it's a real disaster and I'd better stop using such stuff just like I stopped using plastic bags, bottles, even plastic straws...