PDA

View Full Version : Bolden returns to Duke!

Troublemaker
04-03-2017, 07:51 PM
from DukeMBB twitter:

Duke Basketball‏Verified account @DukeMBB (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/849044692268453889)
NEWS: Marques Bolden will return to Duke in 2017-18."I’m ready to get to work for next season ..."

Great news!

GoDuke article (http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=22724&SPID=1845&DB_LANG=C&ATCLID=211546201&DB_OEM_ID=4200):

Despite rumors about my future that have circulated in recent days, I’m excited to announce that I’ll be returning to Duke for my sophomore year,” Bolden said. “I have unbelievable support from my family, teammates and coaches. I’m ready to get to work for next season and I’m excited for what should be a great year for our program.

DukieInKansas
04-03-2017, 07:53 PM
Welcome back, Marques! Glad you will remain a Blue Devil.

Newton_14
04-03-2017, 07:54 PM
from DukeMBB twitter:

Duke Basketball‏Verified account @DukeMBB (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB) 7m7 minutes ago (https://twitter.com/DukeMBB/status/849044692268453889)
NEWS: Marques Bolden will return to Duke in 2017-18."I’m ready to get to work for next season ..."

Great news!

He also put out his own tweet a few minutes ago. Great news!!

See now why we don't allow rumors? :)

NSDukeFan
04-03-2017, 07:55 PM
Yay! Great news! Great quote! I'm excited to see the results of that work next season.

Furniture
04-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Bloody brilliant news!!

CDu
04-03-2017, 07:56 PM
Great news! Glad he had a change of heart. Here's hoping that he gets/is healthy and is ready to make a big-time impact next year.

Suddenly, the frontcourt looks potentially imposing again.

Pghdukie
04-03-2017, 07:59 PM
The average blood pressure of members of this site just went down 50pts.
Great news !

DavidBenAkiva
04-03-2017, 08:00 PM
Hazzah! I'm sure everyone takes back everything they said about the way the Duke program is terrible and falling apart.

In all seriousness, this is great news. Bolden has a lot of potential in spite of his struggles during his freshman season. He has the potential to be a great player at Duke. He's about the same size as Jahlil Okafor. Alongside the also quite large Wendell Carter, Jr., Duke may be able to overwhelm teams with size next season. The frontcourt depth now includes Vrankovic, Bolden, DeLaurier, and Carter. That's a good mix of players, each providing a different skillset. All I have to say is GET IN THE WEIGHT ROOM BECAUSE DUKE BASKETBALL NEVER STOPS!

Billy Dat
This IS great news. I was feeling a little edgy about all the off-season changes. Here's hoping the big guy can stay healthy and make his mark next season!!!

wsb3
It was time for some good news.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-03-2017, 08:01 PM
Well, that's awesome.

NM Duke Fan
04-03-2017, 08:01 PM
"You have choosen .... Wisely!"

You Mr. Bolden have immense potential, certain athletic and skill gifts that are just screaming to be honed and polished. With the support you have in place, the determination and work ethic, the sky is the limit. You can be one of the best big men in the country, and eventually a great NBA career too.

Carpe Diem!

Henderson
04-03-2017, 08:03 PM
"Adam Rowe. Paging Mr. Adam Rowe. You're wanted in the Explanation Room"

Furniture
Did he ever leave?

AFL
I'm extremely happy to hear that Marques is returning to Duke next season. I wish him the best.

Devilwin
04-03-2017, 08:06 PM
Great news. I know the potential is there, now we can see it next year! Smart move, Marques..

CDu
04-03-2017, 08:07 PM
"Adam Rowe. Paging Mr. Adam Rowe. You're wanted in the Explanation Room"

It is possible that Rowe was correct as of last night and that Bolden just had a change of heart and/or guidance from someone close to him. It is also possible that Rowe was just too trigger-happy last night. We may never know. But I am glad we got some good news! Hoping for more good news in the coming weeks.

MChambers
04-03-2017, 08:13 PM
I think Marques will have a big year next year (assuming good health, of course). He and Carter give Duke a lot of size down low. Hope K and the rest of the coaching staff develop a defensive scheme that allows the two of them on the floor together for extended periods.

OZ
04-03-2017, 08:14 PM
Great news! Glad he had a change of heart. Here's hoping that he gets/is healthy and is ready to make a big-time impact next year.

Bolden: "Despite rumors about my future that have circulated in recent days."

Is there actually any valid evidence that he was thinking otherwise?

BigZ
04-03-2017, 08:15 PM
Go Big !!! I'd like to see Cater and Bolden with hopefully Knox on the court at the same time

53n206
Bloody brilliant news!!

As regards your use of "bloody" in the post I am reminded of the response by the British Princess Anne during a kidnap attempt some years ago. When the assailant told her, after an spirited gunfire exchange, that she was to come with him. "Not bloody likely"was her reply.

YmoBeThere
Welcome back even though you never left! Hoping you find happiness and success in a Duke Blue Devil uniform!

subzero02
04-03-2017, 08:17 PM
Great news !

I need the Zags to do their thing so my blood pressure can at least flirt with normalcy.

Welcome Back Bolden
Welcome Back, Welcome Back...welcome baaaaack.
I wonder if Nolan Smith got in his ear? If I had to put money on it, I'd say yes.

CoachJ10
04-03-2017, 08:20 PM
It is possible that Rowe was correct as of last night and that Bolden just had a change of heart and/or guidance from someone close to him. It is also possible that Rowe was just too trigger-happy last night. We may never know. But I am glad we got some good news! Hoping for more good news in the coming weeks.

Is there some history between Rowe and Watson? Some heavy snark on twitter...just wondering the context.

Newton_14
04-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Bolden: "Despite rumors about my future that have circulated in recent days."

Is there actually any valid evidence that he was thinking otherwise?

Very valid question. Adam would not have put out the info unless he (Adam) was being told it was gonna happen, so imho (to borrow from Sage "where the H is silent"), whomever gave that info to Adam really jumped the gun and screwed the pooch big time.

We will never know if he was or wasn't planning to transfer or just considering it.

I will say thanks to my rabid fan 12 yr old daughter, we have interacted with the young man several times after games and he is a super nice and well mannered young man. I am very happy he is coming back and my money believes he will thrive.

pfrduke
04-03-2017, 08:21 PM

Or glad that the reports were not accurate. If the ultimate source behind those various reports was not Bolden himself, there's no saying whether his heart was ever in the transfer camp. The only statement from him is that he's returning and excited to be back.

BD80
04-03-2017, 08:21 PM
Great news!

I would love for Luke to stick around and give Bolden some guidance based upon his huge step up over the last summer.

Not saying it was intentional, but the rumor of leaving then the announcement of staying brings good feelings and some good publicity and ... hopefully some positive momentum

Olympic Fan
04-03-2017, 08:22 PM

People made the same kind of excuses for Laura Keely back when she erroneously tweeted in 2013 that the Peach Bowl was going to pass on Duke.

What we have people is an example of the new journalism, where you throw a rumor out there in the hopes of being first with the news.

Rowe first reported that Bolden was transferring. Period.

Within an hour, he had walked that back to the story that Bolden was considering transferring.

I'm told that transferring was NEVER an option. Bolden did consider turning pro, but we all knew that before Rowe got involved. The idea that he would sit out a year, then play a year -- delaying his NBA career until 2019 at the earliest -- was ludicrous.

You can make all the excuses you want, but this entire story was just bad journalism.

You need to be more skeptical about these self-appointed journalists.

moonpie23
04-03-2017, 08:24 PM
great news....he'll have a much better idea of what is expected of him next season, and a lot of time to prepare...

OZ
04-03-2017, 08:27 PM
This is indeed great news and a tremendous relief. Last evening, when the news that Bolden was transferring was posted, I was surprised, by how quickly some posts deteriorated into less than positive unsubstantiated conjectures about the coaches and the player. I really feel like we owe the staff and in particular, the players and their families a greater level of respect than that. I was glad to see that some of the posts were taken down. Hopefully, this episode will help us to be more cautious in the future.

Ima Facultiwyfe
04-03-2017, 08:28 PM
Looking forward to watching you play healthy and strong,Big Guy!
Love, Ima

Dukehky
04-03-2017, 08:28 PM
People made the same kind of excuses for Laura Keely back when she erroneously tweeted in 2013 that the Peach Bowl was going to pass on Duke.

What we have people is an example of the new journalism, where you throw a rumor out there in the hopes of being first with the news.

Within an hour, he had walked that back to the story that Bolden was considering transferring.

I'm told that transferring was NEVER an option. Bolden did consider turning pro, but we all knew that before Rowe got involved. The idea that he would sit out a year, then play a year -- delaying his NBA career until 2019 at the earliest -- was ludicrous.

You can make all the excuses you want, but this entire story was just bad journalism.

Wrong. I'm with Adam here, and with the rest of the 247 guys. They do a great job. He must have had this from MULTIPLE SOURCES and let's not forget that he wasn't the one who even broke this, BlueDevilBarstool did. Saying that he broke this rumor hoping to be the first is ludicrous. Join TDD for a week and see if that's the way they operate, because it is not. Per the posting guidelines I can't put anything from the pay site, but I wholeheartedly disagree and am confident that what you heard regarding that transferring was never on the table is incorrect.

That's the last I'll argue with the things that were reported. I'm glad he's back.

devildeac
04-03-2017, 08:30 PM
great news...he'll have a much better idea of what is expected of him next season, and a lot of time to prepare...

Moonpie knew this already.

Why?

Because he heard it on his radio feed!

;)

devildeac
04-03-2017, 08:32 PM
So, does this mean a Bolden in hand is better/worth more than a Bamba in the bush?

:o:rolleyes:

Dukehky
04-03-2017, 08:33 PM
So, does this mean a Bolden in hand is better/worth more than a Bamba in the bush?

Kinda the way I see it at this point. Had to be optimistic about Bamba to maintain hope when the word was that Bolden was gone, but I don't think it was particularly realistic.

subzero02
04-03-2017, 08:34 PM

I completely agree. in certain fields, accuracy should never be compromised for speed.

Olympic Fan
04-03-2017, 08:41 PM
Wrong. I'm with Adam here, and with the rest of the 247 guys. They do a great job. He must have had this from MULTIPLE SOURCES and let's not forget that he wasn't the one who even broke this, BlueDevilBarstool did. Saying that he broke this rumor hoping to be the first is ludicrous. Join TDD for a week and see if that's the way they operate, because it is not. Per the posting guidelines I can't put anything from the pay site, but I wholeheartedly disagree and am confident that what you heard regarding that transferring was never on the table is incorrect.

That's the last I'll argue with the things that were reported. I'm glad he's back.

You have a lot more faith in the 247 guys than I do.

You think "he must have had this from MULTIPLE SOURCES" ... really, where is your evidence for this. Do you have multiple sources for that assertion?

I have seen how TDD operates and if you are paying money for that "information" it says a lot about your judgment.

I repeat, Bolden had options, but transferring to another school and delaying his NBA experience two years, was never on the table.

Henderson
04-03-2017, 08:41 PM

I'm with Oly on this. Traditional journalists are required by their editors to have multiple sources. I'd cut AR slack if he had multiple credible sources, but I don't assume he did. I don't know. But I do know that bloggers and other soi-dissant journalists don't require that of themselves and don't have editors that require it either. Getting scoops is valued over getting things correct sometimes. Single-source reporting is a big no-no in traditional journalism for a reason.

Troublemaker
04-03-2017, 08:42 PM
I'm so, so happy that Marques and his parents are still part of the Duke family.

Reminder of his mom's reaction when he committed to Duke below. (Okay, Marques made the nervous "University of Duke" mistake that's happened a few times, including to retired jersey legend JWill when he announced for Duke. Ignore that.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BgkmHUvgiQM

I'm glad Marques will be at Duke, and I think things are going to work out great for both sides next season.

InSpades
04-03-2017, 08:45 PM
When kids don't wanna be at Duke they should definitely go... doesn't help anyone to stay where you don't want to be.

Of course it's a lot better when they decide they want to stay! Welcome back Marques. I think we all want a re-do on your 2016-2017 season (probably no one more than you!)... now we all get that next year.

Transferring to me in his situation seemed like giving up... he would be either saying he wasn't good enough to play at this level or something went very wrong w/ Duke. I'm glad neither of those are the case. There's no reason he can't play at this level and hopefully he proves it next year.

Whatever went wrong this year (injury or whatever) he will have every opportunity to show what he can do next year.

Emerrick
04-03-2017, 08:46 PM
Holy Stinking smokes! Awesome news! So happy to have him with us another year!!!!!

Ps Twitter sucks for rumor mongering. I saw it there way before it showed up here. #relieved

lotusland
04-03-2017, 08:50 PM
Great news. I agree transferring didn't make sense to me but neither did Thornton's decision last year so you never know. Bolden, Carter and Knox, if he comes, will all play even if Knox starts at the 4 spot. Neither Carter or Bolden will likely be able to handle more than 25 mpg without foul trouble. If GA and Luke both go (please no) Knox would be forced to play mostly 3. Vrank, Jack White and Javin will be ready to play as needed. Duvall would be nice but we only "need" him if Grayson goes. Grayson, imo, was better than Freshman Thornton this yr so I'd be thrilled with him running the show next year. I'm sure Bamba is a good kid and great ball player but Carter, Bolden and Bamba are not all going to play so he should enjoy a year in Kentucky or elsewhere.

cptnflash
04-03-2017, 09:04 PM
This is the start of a long and much deserved string of good news for Duke and its fans. The next link in the chain is Gonzaga winning by double digits tonight.

kako
04-03-2017, 09:09 PM
Transferring made no sense whatsoever if he really felt his abilities could compete. Glad to see him back, as I loved his athletic ability, blocked shots and willingness to run the court. Now get healthy, young blood!

scottdude8
04-03-2017, 09:10 PM
I'm psyched to potentially see a team next year that runs through the post, with two guys in Carter and Bolden who can score like more traditional big men. I've always loved watching post scorers.

Now, IMHO, if one of Grayson/Luke return (and assuming Frank does as well), we're a top 5 team regardless of any other recruits. And the things that have been our weaknesses the last couple years, interior defense and rebounding, could be strengths. I'm psyched.

Now make it a perfect day Zags!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-03-2017, 09:23 PM

Abso-friggin-lutely it does! A sophomore Bolden is better than a frosh Bamba. Of course, I wouldn't argue against having both! :cool:

Now, here's hoping Gonzaga takes care of business tonight! GTHc! 9F!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

eddiehaskell
04-03-2017, 09:47 PM
Let's go big fella. He's got a chance to be special if he works his butt off.

elvis14
04-03-2017, 09:50 PM
I'm really glad to hear this and I'm really looking forward to watching him play next season.

One more piece of good news tonight would be awesome! 9F

Ewe
04-03-2017, 09:56 PM
This is the start of a long and much deserved string of good news for Duke and its fans. The next link in the chain is Gonzaga winning by double digits tonight.

What I truly hope is that it's the beginning of good news for Marques. A huge athletic talent, but more importantly a wonderful young man of excellent character. We're all very proud to have him at Duke.

And of course, I totally agree about Gonzaga! I'm hoping for triple digits.

mr. synellinden
04-03-2017, 10:14 PM
Abso-friggin-lutely it does! A sophomore Bolden is better than a frosh Bamba. Of course, I wouldn't argue against having both! :cool:

Now, here's hoping Gonzaga takes care of business tonight! GTHc! 9F!http://www.crazietalk.net/ourhouse/images/smilies/devil9f.gif

I am thrilled that Bolden is back. As I posted earlier, I agree with Oly Fan that transferring didn't seem like a logical choice for Bolden. With that being said, how does everyone know that a soph Bolden is better than a frosh Bamba (a top 5 recruit)? I hope he is and even better, I hope we get both but I'm not so sure it is a clear choice if we only could have one. Again, I hope it is (assuming this means Bamba goes elsewhere - but I don't think that's certain even with Bolden back).

Bay Area Duke Fan
04-03-2017, 10:19 PM
I am thrilled that Bolden is back. As I posted earlier, I agree with Oly Fan that transferring didn't seem like a logical choice for Bolden. With that being said, how does everyone know that a soph Bolden is better than a frosh Bamba (a top 5 recruit)? I hope he is and even better, I hope we get both but I'm not so sure it is a clear choice if we only could have one. Again, I hope it is (assuming this means Bamba goes elsewhere - but I don't think that's certain even with Bolden back).

Bolden has gotten much better (on this board) since announcing his return. Earlier today, he was a big disappointment who wouldn't be missed when he transferred.

curtis325
04-03-2017, 10:21 PM

I am also thrilled that Bolden is not leaving. I just could not believe that he would transfer, although the NBA draft did seem to be a possibility. I really want Marques to do well because he is a Duke player. I don't know whether freshman Bamba would be better than soph Bolden, but it does not matter to me because Bolden is a Duke player. If Bamba comes he will also be a Duke player and I will wish him every success too.

killerleft
04-03-2017, 10:24 PM
Bolden has gotten much better (on this board) since announcing his return. Earlier today, he was a big disappointment who wouldn't be missed when he transferred.

That's the famous Returnancy Bias.:):rolleyes:

davekay1971
04-03-2017, 10:28 PM
Looking forward to see how he is able to grow with a (hopefully) fully healthy offseason of hard work.

Good luck and can't wait to see him on the court!

NYBri
04-03-2017, 10:54 PM
I was getting tired of bad news. :cool:

chriso
04-03-2017, 11:29 PM
Yay! Great news! Great quote! I'm excited to see the results of that work next season.

Yay yay yay yay yay. Good news. Great news. :) So glad to have you back sir.

mgtr
04-03-2017, 11:30 PM
Delighted that Bolden is staying. Now if one or both of Luke/Grayson stays, and we still have Jackson plus Vrank, Javin, and the new guys, we should be in very good shape. Oh, and I left out Jack White.

SkyBrickey
04-03-2017, 11:46 PM
Great decision big guy! Next year is your year to shine. Looking forward to seeing you and Carter on the court together, contesting every shot near the rim and owning the glass.

Saratoga2
04-03-2017, 11:53 PM
Great news !

Mine included. Losing him would have been a significant blow to the team going forward, especially after Giles, Jeter, Obi and Jefferson will be gone. Imagine what the story line would have been had he left.

Saratoga2
04-03-2017, 11:56 PM
I think Marques will have a big year next year (assuming good health, of course). He and Carter give Duke a lot of size down low. Hope K and the rest of the coaching staff develop a defensive scheme that allows the two of them on the floor together for extended periods.

We just witnessed what size can do in the National Championship. It helps to have a big and strong presence inside.

Reddevil
04-04-2017, 12:22 AM
I came here to see what the board had to say about tonight's game and found this!
I feel better now. Much better.:D

CharlestonDave
04-04-2017, 12:55 AM

Oz, If you were Bamba why would you now commit to Duke , it makes zero sense for him ? Kentucky is the logical choice for him . Under Calipari he will thrive and be a lottery pick in the 2018 draft.

dukefan_828
04-04-2017, 01:07 AM
Nice treat on this dark knight.. def just did a fist pump

Troublemaker
04-04-2017, 01:15 AM

Bolden's not the hero Duke deserves, but he's the one we need right now...

brevity
04-04-2017, 01:17 AM

Grayson Allen: Well, I guess you either leave as a hero or you stay long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Kedsy
04-04-2017, 01:45 AM
Oz, If you were Bamba why would you now commit to Duke , it makes zero sense for him ? Kentucky is the logical choice for him . Under Calipari he will thrive and be a lottery pick in the 2018 draft.

Right now, not including Bamba, it looks like Kentucky will have six C/PFs on their roster in 2017-18:

2016 #13 Wenyon Gabriel (6'9 PF)
2016 #21 Sasha Killeya Jones (6'10 PF)
2017 #14 PJ Washington (6'8 PF)
2017 #14 Nick Richards (6'11 C)
2015 Isaac Hayes (7'0 C)
2016 Tai Wynyard (6'10 C)

Duke will have just four such players:

2017 #4 Wendell Carter (6'10 PF/C)
2016 #11 Marques Bolden (6'11 C)
2016 #35 Javin DeLaurier (6'9 PF)
2015 Antonio Vrankovic (7'0 C)

So, please tell me again why Kentucky makes so much sense for Bamba, but Duke doesn't?

Also, Bamba is the #3 recruit in the country. Assuming he's healthy, he's going to thrive wherever he goes to college and be a lottery pick in the 2018 draft. No Calipari required.

TKG
04-04-2017, 06:38 AM
Moonpie knew this already.

Why?

Because he heard it on his radio feed!

;)

But Bob Harris initially called him Anquan Boldin.

mccollums
04-04-2017, 08:16 AM
Right now, not including Bamba, it looks like Kentucky will have six C/PFs on their roster in 2017-18:

2016 #13 Wenyon Gabriel (6'9 PF)
2016 #21 Sasha Killeya Jones (6'10 PF)
2017 #14 PJ Washington (6'8 PF)
2017 #14 Nick Richards (6'11 C)
2015 Isaac Hayes (7'0 C)
2016 Tai Wynyard (6'10 C)

Duke will have just four such players:

2017 #4 Wendell Carter (6'10 PF/C)
2016 #11 Marques Bolden (6'11 C)
2016 #35 Javin DeLaurier (6'9 PF)
2015 Antonio Vrankovic (7'0 C)

So, please tell me again why Kentucky makes so much sense for Bamba, but Duke doesn't?

Also, Bamba is the #3 recruit in the country. Assuming he's healthy, he's going to thrive wherever he goes to college and be a lottery pick in the 2018 draft. No Calipari required.

UK fan here. There are rumors that one of the UK bigs will transfer and maybe(weak rumor) a surprise early entry. Also, Nick Richards has only been playing basketball 3 years and I expect him to have minimal impact like Sacha Killeya-Jones. SKJ had only been playing 5 years before last season. He had awareness issues that caused him to sit the bench.

I would think Bamba is confident that he would start over all the guys listed above other then Carter. Experience does matter, but the top tier elite recruits (top3-5) usually trump the 2nd year 4-5 star players. His length and mobility get him drafted in the lottery no matter where he goes. Bolden didn't seem to be worried about Chase Jeter last season so I guess it's not a stretch that Bamba would think the same of Bolden this season (speculating)...

A pro UK theory (I am just making this up) If Kennard or Allen return, and Knox goes to Duke. As a big, I would worry that K would play 3 guards, Knox at the 4, and 1 big. That would mean splitting time with Carter at the 5. K could use them similarly to how Gonzaga used Karnowski and Collins this season.. Carter /Karnowski for O and Bamba/Collins for D.

miramar
04-04-2017, 08:43 AM
"I have unbelievable support from my family, teammates and coaches. I’m ready to get to work for next season and I’m excited for what should be a great year for our program."

What a contrast to last year's soap opera with Thornton.

If Marques works hard he will do great. 6-11 and good footwork will take care of the rest.

CrazyNotCrazie
04-04-2017, 08:53 AM

I agree 100% on this. If Rowe is going to get kudos for getting scoops, he has to also take full responsibility for his misses. This was clearly sloppy reporting, and as someone who briefly dabbled in the fine art of journalism, I hate the current culture of sacrificing accuracy for being first - this is part of why there is a crisis of confidence in our media. To then change it to "he is considering transferring" is like saying that I am "considering" playing shortstop for the Yankees - it is something that is always on my mind, but that doesn't mean it is going to happen.

On top of that, I know that by signing on to play basketball at Duke, you are largely sacrificing your position as a private citizen, but I still think the burden of accuracy is higher when dealing with a college student than a professional athlete.

The only positive to come out of this (other than the fact that he is returning!) is that it forced Bolden to make a statement about his future. If this hadn't happened, it might have been a bit odd for him to make a public statement that he was staying, so there might have been some lingering questions about his future, but now he was granted an avenue to make things clear.

sagegrouse
04-04-2017, 08:59 AM
You have a lot more faith in the 247 guys than I do.

You think "he must have had this from MULTIPLE SOURCES" ... really, where is your evidence for this. Do you have multiple sources for that assertion?

I have seen how TDD operates and if you are paying money for that "information" it says a lot about your judgment.

I repeat, Bolden had options, but transferring to another school and delaying his NBA experience two years, was never on the table.

Well, I for one -- [nose in air] -- am grateful to Adam Rowe, Devil's Den, and DBR. This false story gave us the opportunity to have the "return of Marques Bolden" become the big news of the morning for Duke fans, instead of the UNC title.

Troublemaker
04-04-2017, 10:34 AM

Grayson Allen: Well, I guess you either leave as a hero or you stay long enough to see yourself become the villain.

First-class, brev! Couldn't spork but needed to say that. My spork message to you would've been an economy-class "Harry Giles: Wanna know how I got these scars?"

I agree 100% on this. If Rowe is going to get kudos for getting scoops, he has to also take full responsibility for his misses. This was clearly sloppy reporting, and as someone who briefly dabbled in the fine art of journalism, I hate the current culture of sacrificing accuracy for being first - this is part of why there is a crisis of confidence in our media. To then change it to "he is considering transferring" is like saying that I am "considering" playing shortstop for the Yankees - it is something that is always on my mind, but that doesn't mean it is going to happen.

On top of that, I know that by signing on to play basketball at Duke, you are largely sacrificing your position as a private citizen, but I still think the burden of accuracy is higher when dealing with a college student than a professional athlete.

The only positive to come out of this (other than the fact that he is returning!) is that it forced Bolden to make a statement about his future. If this hadn't happened, it might have been a bit odd for him to make a public statement that he was staying, so there might have been some lingering questions about his future, but now he was granted an avenue to make things clear.

Another thing is I'm sure Duke would like to control the timing and messaging of matters like these. If Bolden DID transfer, they'd have liked the news to get out through a GoDuke press release and to contact recruits and their families beforehand. As is, you can easily imagine that they had to scramble to talk to Marques - "What's up?" - and then scramble to talk to recruits and their families to update them on the roster situation; "Don't believe what other coaches say - We are not forcing out Bolden"; and finally they scrambled to get the release out that he'll be back.

That said, I've heard too many great things about Adam Rowe and Andrew Slater that I'm sure this incident will just end up being a blip in their usual great coverage.

Adam is also a member of the DBR community and occasionally posts: http://forums.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/member.php?4662-airowe

Indoor66
04-04-2017, 11:12 AM
Thread title is incorrect. Bolden NEVER LEFT Duke!

Jeffrey
04-04-2017, 11:17 AM
As of now, has everything transpired as expected? Bolden returns (sorry, NEVER LEFT), Jeter transfers, Tatum turns pro, and Giles turns pro.

CDu
04-04-2017, 11:25 AM
As of now, has everything transpired as expected? Bolden returns (sorry, NEVER LEFT), Jeter transfers, Tatum turns pro, and Giles turns pro.

I think that things have gone exactly as expected:
1. Giles and Tatum go pro
2. Jeter transfers
3. Obi graduates and transfers
4. Bolden had to make a tough decision (whether or not he chose to stay was probably close to 50/50)

That leaves:
5. Kennard's decision
6. Allen's decision

Troublemaker
04-04-2017, 11:26 AM

How would you title Grayson returning to Duke for his senior season or Luke returning to Duke for his junior season, if it happens?

Remember, we learned two things with that press release:
(1) Marques will not transfer
(2) Marques will not leave for the draft or test the waters or what have you

The actual press release uses the word "return" as well.

scottdude8
04-04-2017, 11:28 AM
Regarding Bamba, no one is considering the possibility, albeit EXTREMELY slight, that he ends up at Michigan, who is still recruiting him heavily. Especially considering he is a "stretch-4" from everything I've heard, being coached by Jon Beilein has some major appeal there... he's turned D.J. Wilson and Mo Wagner from no-name recruits into guys who will in all likelihood first round picks either this year or (hopefully) next. There's a small but vocal segment of Michigan fans (who, very possibly, are delusional) who think Bamba could end up at Michigan.

To be clear, I'm not one of them. I'm betting like most of you that he ends up at Kentucky. But I'd say there's a non-zero likelihood he surprises everyone and goes to Michigan. In that universe Michigan is a top-10 team next year with a SCARY three-headed monster down low assuming Wagner and Wilson stay, which all indications are that they will.

Just a thought.

Jeffrey
04-04-2017, 11:44 AM
I think that things have gone exactly as expected:
1. Giles and Tatum go pro
2. Jeter transfers
3. Obi graduates and transfers
4. Bolden had to make a tough decision (whether or not he chose to stay was probably close to 50/50)

That leaves:
5. Kennard's decision
6. Allen's decision

Agreed, everything is currently on course to another great season... Never Lift.

brlftz
04-04-2017, 12:05 PM
Regarding Bamba, no one is considering the possibility, albeit EXTREMELY slight, that he ends up at Michigan, who is still recruiting him heavily. Especially considering he is a "stretch-4" from everything I've heard, being coached by Jon Beilein has some major appeal there... he's turned D.J. Wilson and Mo Wagner from no-name recruits into guys who will in all likelihood first round picks either this year or (hopefully) next. There's a small but vocal segment of Michigan fans (who, very possibly, are delusional) who think Bamba could end up at Michigan.

To be clear, I'm not one of them. I'm betting like most of you that he ends up at Kentucky. But I'd say there's a non-zero likelihood he surprises everyone and goes to Michigan. In that universe Michigan is a top-10 team next year with a SCARY three-headed monster down low assuming Wagner and Wilson stay, which all indications are that they will.

Just a thought.

it's an intriguing and quite plausible thought at that, imo. it's a nice opening and a good fit at a major program (although i've never heard Bamba described as a stretch before) that could contend nationally. it's also a much stronger school academically than kentucky, and i think that's also appealing to bamba. michigan could be mighty good next year

CDu
04-04-2017, 12:08 PM
it's an intriguing and quite plausible thought at that, imo. it's a nice opening and a good fit at a major program (although i've never heard Bamba described as a stretch before) that could contend nationally. it's also a much stronger school academically than kentucky, and i think that's also appealing to bamba. michigan could be mighty good next year

Yeah, Bamba is not a stretch-4. He is basically a better version of Nerlens Noel: great length and athleticism, tremendous shotblocker and imposing defensive presence in the lane, but very unpolished offensively.

FerryFor50
04-04-2017, 12:10 PM
Yeah, Bamba is not a stretch-4. He is basically a better version of Nerlens Noel: great length and athleticism, tremendous shotblocker and imposing defensive presence in the lane, but very unpolished offensively.

I dunno. He was knocking down 3s in the McD AA practices. :D

budwom
04-04-2017, 12:11 PM
Much to his credit (IMO) Bamba hasn't given many clues as to his thoughts or destination, which I think is admirable.

scottdude8
04-04-2017, 12:14 PM

Interesting. Maybe that's the bias of mgoblog (the site I go to that's IMHO the Michigan equivalent of DBR in terms of high-quality fan sites), but they've consistently described him as a stretch-4. If he isn't or doesn't want to be then the minuscule chance he goes to Michigan certainly plummets even farther, haha.

theschwartz
04-04-2017, 12:25 PM

We say "return" because at the end of the school year, (most) students pack up and leave campus for the summer. Some return, some do not.

flyingdutchdevil
04-04-2017, 12:33 PM
Color me happily and shockingly surprised. I was convinced Bolden would not be in a Duke jersey next year. He had "1 year at Duke" written all over him. I expected him to pull a Daniel Orton and go pro. Happy he didn't do that. Happier he decided not to transfer.

I really, really, really hope Coach K uses Bolden and Carter together next year. It sounds like a pretty solid defensive unit and is very big and strong. But, with Coach K, you never know.

Thanks for staying Bolden!

kAzE
04-04-2017, 12:40 PM
Color me happily and shockingly surprised. I was convinced Bolden would not be in a Duke jersey next year. He had "1 year at Duke" written all over him. I expected him to pull a Daniel Orton and go pro. Happy he didn't do that. Happier he decided not to transfer.

I really, really, really hope Coach K uses Bolden and Carter together next year. It sounds like a pretty solid defensive unit and is very big and strong. But, with Coach K, you never know.

I won't say that I knew he was coming back after the initial reports of him transferring, but it just didn't make a shred of sense to me why he would leave. This is why I kept trying to tell folks in the other thread to stop assuming he was gone. Some people were really bashing him hard (same with DT last year), which is just dumb, and inappropriate even for players who actually leave the program.

His best possible route to the NBA was to stay at Duke and prove why he was a 5 star recruit next year, and potentially become a first round pick. There was just no way he was going to get advice from anyone with his best interests in mind to go pro this year, and transferring delays the NBA plan by 2 years.

He made the right choice, but now he needs to work on his game and prove that he was worth the hype.

CDu
04-04-2017, 12:44 PM
Interesting. Maybe that's the bias of mgoblog (the site I go to that's IMHO the Michigan equivalent of DBR in terms of high-quality fan sites), but they've consistently described him as a stretch-4. If he isn't or doesn't want to be then the minuscule chance he goes to Michigan certainly plummets even farther, haha.

I guess I should clarify. I think almost everyone envisions themselves as s capable shooter. Heck, Mason Plumlee thought he should be shooting 3s and handling the ball early in his freshman year. So Bamba may very well think of himself as a stretch guy. I have no idea whether or not he does or not. I just know that he is not actually a stretch-4. So Michigan could very well be in play if he thinks he is a stretch-4.

I doubt they are, but who knows?

Indoor66
04-04-2017, 12:53 PM
We say "return" because at the end of the school year, (most) students pack up and leave campus for the summer. Some return, some do not.

I call BS on that. The context is totally different. I stay with my original post.

brlftz
04-04-2017, 12:57 PM
So Michigan could very well be in play if he thinks he is a stretch-4.

or michigan could be in play just due to the relative glut of big men at his two main finalists (we think). if i were him i might be opening things back up a little, and michigan might be very appealing. playing time available at a big time program, his presence might make them a contender, and it's an excellent school to boot. i wouldn't be at all surprised if something like that happened. as someone who grew up as a spartan fan (was born in lansing to two msu students) i'd puke, but i wouldn't be surprised.

Troublemaker
04-04-2017, 01:11 PM
I really, really, really hope Coach K uses Bolden and Carter together next year.

Yeah, Duke needs to be able to play well in both "two bigs" mode and "stretch-4" mode.

2015 should be the model. Amile hardly ever played center and averaged 21 mpg. So Duke was roughly half-and-half between the two modes.

I wouldn't want to be "two bigs" all the time but we need to be able to play it when it's appropriate.

I call BS on that. The context is totally different. I stay with my original post.

Bolden himself used the word "return." Coach K was the most accurate I suppose in saying Bolden would "continue" to be part of the program.

CDu
04-04-2017, 01:15 PM
Yeah, Duke needs to be able to play well in both "two bigs" mode and "stretch-4" mode.

2015 should be the model. Amile hardly ever played center and averaged 21 mpg. So Duke was roughly half-and-half between the two modes.

I wouldn't want to be "two bigs" all the time but we need to be able to play it when it's appropriate.

I agree. And I think that this was the plan this year. At least one of Bolden and Giles was going to be a 25+ mpg guy along with Tatum and Jefferson. But Giles and Bolden just never caught up to the rest of the team. And coach decided to ride the guys that were performing, for better or for worse.

I don't doubt that Coach K will be willing to play some of the game with both Bolden and Carter in there together. Maybe even 15-20 mpg. But that's only if both guys prove up to the challenge. Unfortunately, this year our backups were apparently not up to the challenge.

MCFinARL
04-04-2017, 01:19 PM
Much to his credit (IMO) Bamba hasn't given many clues as to his thoughts or destination, which I think is admirable.

I agree with this. Suggests someone who is mature enough not to seek out media and fan attention with hints and teasers, as well as respectful of all of the programs and coaches he is considering. Gives him room to deliberate in his own time as well.

pfrduke
04-04-2017, 01:27 PM

Less half and half by the end of the season. In the 5 competitive tournament games, we played 9, 17, 17, 11, and 12 minutes with two bigs as opposed to 31, 23, 23, 29, and 28 with one, so almost exactly a two-to-one ratio of being smaller at the four.

But that's still definitely playing big when appropriate - the two 17 minute games were against Utah and Gonzaga, who were bigger inside and needed extra size and heft to oppose.

This all depends heavily on personnel, of course, but I think we can expect to play bigger earlier in the season and progressively move toward more emphasis on a stretch-4 lineup as things progress, with variability depending on the particular matchup.

TKG
04-04-2017, 01:28 PM

8-9 man rotation in Nov/Dec
7-8 man rotation Jan/Feb
6-7 man rotation March
6 man rotation April

WHOneedsSOX
04-04-2017, 01:41 PM

How mobile is Carter? Teams are going to pick and roll Duke to death with Bolden and Carter out there. I guess one or the other would be in the paint at all times to deter drives to the basket but if that guard can hit the midrange shot or a pull-up 3 then Duke will be in trouble.

kshepinthehouse
04-04-2017, 01:51 PM
How mobile is Carter? Teams are going to pick and roll Duke to death with Bolden and Carter out there. I guess one or the other would be in the paint at all times to deter drives to the basket but if that guard can hit the midrange shot or a pull-up 3 then Duke will be in trouble.

Bolden played better vs the pick and roll than any other of our big men.

COYS
04-04-2017, 01:56 PM
8-9 man rotation in Nov/Dec
7-8 man rotation Jan/Feb
6-7 man rotation March
6 man rotation April

This has been talked about ad naseum, but I think it is almost inevitable that we see a 7.5 man rotation since that seems to be Coach K's natural state of being. Starters + 1 big sub, 1 perimeter sub, and another guy who doesn't get too many minutes but still gets into most games and can be called upon in a pinch. We saw that this season with Frank, Luke, Matt, Jayson, and Amile starting, Grayson as a perimeter sub, Harry as a big sub, and Marques (or, on occasion, Vrank) as the eighth man. Also, I suspect that the eight man is more likely to get additional minutes if he happens to be a guard, a la Grayson in 2015. There are simply more scenarios in which K will play an extra perimeter players, including end-of-game situations in which ball-handlers are needed.

As the roster currently stands, we would have a starting lineup that probably looks like this.

Perimeter:
Frank
Grayson
Luke

Bigs:
Marques
Wendell

Bench:
Gary (first perimeter player off the bench)
Vrank (First big off the bench)
Javin (My guess for eighth man unless he adds a consistent 3pt shot and jumps over Vrank or Gary)
Jack
Alex

I know it's unlikely that the roster looks exactly like this going into next season, but I think that any additions will more or less fit into the 7.5 man model.

CDu
04-04-2017, 01:56 PM

It's a legitimate concern, and one of the reasons why I don't think it will be our most often used look. Take a look at Gonzaga in this year's title game. They realized they could exploit Karnowski's lack of mobility in the pick-and-roll game with Berry.

That being said...

Bolden played better vs the pick and roll than any other of our big men.

On this I agree. The one thing Bolden did consistently well was the hedge-and-recover game. He had plenty of issues, but he did a great job of recognizing the high ball screen, hedging hard, and recovering quickly. Hopefully he can build off of that.

But we will almost certainly need an alternative look for when teams are able to exploit the Bolden/Carter pairing. Because it is going to happen at some point.

WHOneedsSOX
04-04-2017, 02:01 PM
It's a legitimate concern, and one of the reasons why I don't think it will be our most often used look. Take a look at Gonzaga in this year's title game. They realized they could exploit Karnowski's lack of mobility in the pick-and-roll game with Berry.

That being said...

On this I agree. The one thing Bolden did consistently well was the hedge-and-recover game. He had plenty of issues, but he did a great job of recognizing the high ball screen, hedging hard, and recovering quickly. Hopefully he can build off of that.

But we will almost certainly need an alternative look for when teams are able to exploit the Bolden/Carter pairing. Because it is going to happen at some point.

Yeah and like someone said above, it'll depend on matchups. Duke against a team like this year's UNC team and they'll probably go 2 bigs.

Steven43
04-04-2017, 02:39 PM

Funny how that goes, isn't it?

I was a big Bolden guy early on, especially after seeing him up close (I sat two rows behind the opponents' bench in Cameron) in his first live game action. That's why I was so dismayed the way his season played out. I figured he would average about 12-18 minutes,4-6 points and 3-5 rebounds per game. But instead he just fell off a cliff.

Based on his general body language and facial expression and especially his severe lack of playing time, I had a feeling he was going to leave Duke after this season. So I wasn't surprised or even particularly upset when I heard he was planning to transfer. I figured if he really doesn't want to be at Duke it's probably best for everyone if he moves on.

But now here he is and I don't know what to think. If I felt he was planning to stay through his junior or even senior year I would be really excited. But if the plan is to only stay one more year I'm not sure I prefer a Bolden sophomore year to a freshman year of Bamba, were it to come to that. I guess there are just too many unknowns to have a strong feeling either way.

sagegrouse
04-04-2017, 02:49 PM

Bolden himself used the word "return." Coach K was the most accurate I suppose in saying Bolden would "continue" to be part of the program.

I dunno, but "two bigs" seemed to work pretty well for Gonzaga and Carolina.

kAzE
04-04-2017, 02:54 PM

I wouldn't say that's entirely true, at least for Gonzaga. Gonzaga's starting front court this year was Karnowski and Jonathan Williams (a 6-9 forward who shot 40% from 3 this year). This isn't too different from what we were doing, with a hyper athletic/super long 6-8 athlete at the 4. The difference is that they played their starters fewer minutes and their back up big men much more.

Karnowsi and Williams both averaged around 24 minutes a game, while Collins played about 17 a game, and Tillie played about 12. It also didn't hurt that both Collins and Tillie are pretty good shooters, too. (both were 48% from 3, albeit on just 21 and 23 attempts, respectively)

sagegrouse
04-04-2017, 02:54 PM
Based on his general body language and facial expression and especially his severe lack of playing time, I had a feeling he was going to leave Duke after this season. So I wasn't surprised or even particularly upset when I heard he was planning to transfer. I figured if he really doesn't want to be at Duke it's probably best for everyone if he moves on.

I am surfacing a subject for discussion and not picking on either you or Bolden, Steven. A player is in the arena twice a week for only 2.5 hours each time where the fans can view his "body language and facial expression." Does body language and facial expression on the bench mean anything at all? Sometimes facial expression and postures are innate. I could hate everything about playing for Duke and still be cheerful and animated on the bench, and vice versa.

azzefkram
04-04-2017, 02:57 PM
Very happy that Bolden is continuing with the program. I don't think we got the opportunity to see all that Marques could provide this past season. I know some are poo-pooing the injury but given its timing and length in addition to all the other issues of this past season, I feel that Marques missed too much to be an effective contributor. I hope he has a healthy and productive summer.

I do think this takes us out of the running for Bamba. Somewhat of a shame since in all the interviews I've seen, Bamba seems like a Duke kid.

Jeffrey
04-04-2017, 03:03 PM
Does body language and facial expression on the bench mean anything at all?

Yes, it definitely does. It could be a reflection of your diet, health, girlfriend's recent behavior, grades, PT, coach's most recent statements, etc. It definitely has meaning.

Steven43
04-04-2017, 03:07 PM
I am surfacing a subject for discussion and not picking on either you or Bolden, Steven. A player is in the arena twice a week for only 2.5 hours each time where the fans can view his "body language and facial expression." Does body language and facial expression on the bench mean anything at all? Sometimes facial expression and postures are innate. I could hate everything about playing for Duke and still be cheerful and animated on the bench, and vice versa.

Point taken, sage. I knew my comment regarding Bolden's perceived attitude and disposition was going to illicit rebukes. And you may well be right in your assertion that the way a player acts--his facial expressions and body language--on the court or the bench may have absolutely nothing to do with the way he really feels. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I just gave it my best guess.

curtis325
04-04-2017, 03:09 PM

Body language could possibly have some meaning, but are we so sure that we are fluent in that particular language? There are plenty of chances for jumping to wrong conclusions. I favor giving the benefit of the doubt.

sagegrouse
04-04-2017, 03:13 PM
Point taken, sage. I knew my comment regarding Bolden's perceived attitude and disposition was going to illicit rebukes. And you may well be right in your assertion that the way a player acts--his facial expressions and body language--on the court or the bench may have absolutely nothing to do with the way he really feels. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't. I just gave it my best guess.

No rebuke intended. I am just wondering.

camion
04-04-2017, 03:14 PM
Yes, it definitely does. It could be a reflection of your diet, health, girlfriend's recent behavior, grades, PT, coach's most recent statements, etc. It definitely has meaning.

Also some people are naturally more demonstrative than others. When I played basketball I was very committed to the team, I worked hard and supported my teammates. I kept pretty much a blank face to public though. I followed Armand's directions here (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55Pnw-tEVek) and kept it all inside.

Troublemaker
04-04-2017, 03:15 PM

Yeah, but that hasn't been this program's bread-and-butter for 30 years, though. I definitely want the ability to play two bigs at the same time when it is appropriate, and we should have that now that Marques is confirmed back, BUT we'll also need to have someone who can spread the court at the 4. And it's more important for Duke to have that guy on the roster than it would be for UNC and Gonzaga. Every coach/program has a wheelhouse. (Essentially, landing Kevin Knox is still very important.)

Edouble
04-04-2017, 03:19 PM
I wouldn't say that's entirely true, at least for Gonzaga. Gonzaga's starting front court this year was Karnowski and Jonathan Williams (a 6-9 forward who shot 40% from 3 this year). This isn't too different from what we were doing, with a hyper athletic/super long 6-8 athlete at the 4. The difference is that they played their starters fewer minutes and their back up big men much more.

Karnowsi and Williams both averaged around 24 minutes a game, while Collins played about 17 a game, and Tillie played about 12. It also didn't hurt that both Collins and Tillie are pretty good shooters, too. (both were 48% from 3, albeit on just 21 and 23 attempts, respectively)

Yeah, but that hasn't been this program's bread-and-butter for 30 years, though. I definitely want the ability to play two bigs at the same time when it is appropriate, BUT we'll also need to have someone who can spread the court at the 4. And it's more important for Duke to have that guy on the roster than it would be for UNC and Gonzaga. Every coach/program has a wheelhouse. (Essentially, landing Kevin Knox is still very important.)

Carter can spread the floor. I am not sure if he can shoot 40% for 3, but he is a 3PT shooter.

I am not sure if he can drive, but he should be able to draw his defender out to the arc.

Jeffrey
04-04-2017, 03:23 PM
Also some people are naturally more demonstrative than others.

Absolutely. Watching players on the March bench might have caused people to falsely assume Bolden would transfer and Jeter would return (continue). Jeter sure was focused on everything K said.

COYS
04-04-2017, 03:34 PM
Carter can spread the floor. I am not sure if he can shoot 40% for 3, but he is a 3PT shooter.

I am not sure if he can drive, but he should be able to draw his defender out to the arc.

If this scouting report proves to be true, then 2013 is probably the best analog for what our lineup could look like. In both those years, Mason and Ryan spent a lot of time on the court together with Ryan the best analog to Wendell, in this situation. In fact, if the current roster holds (i know, unlikely) there would be a lot of similarities to 2013 provided Wendell can shoot from three. We'd have three guards in Frank, Luke, and Grayson (similar to Quinn, Seth, and Rasheed) and two bigs in Wendell and Marques (Ryan and Mason) with one of those bigs capable of stepping out and hitting a three to keep good floor spacing. That team was actually a very good defensive team during the part of the season when Ryan was healthy. Perhaps we'd be able to see similar results.

Side note: looking back at that 2013 team, it's easy to forget how incredible Mason was that season. Man that guy was awesome for us.

kAzE
04-04-2017, 03:39 PM
I still think Carter is going to be playing more down low than anywhere near the perimeter. The kid's #1 strength is rebounding. It's not a particular strength of Marques (as far as what we saw from him last year). Taking Wendell out to the perimeter on offense negates his ability to pound the offensive glass and get us extra possessions and shots. If we get Knox, we're going to see a lot of Carter/Knox/3 guard lineups. Bolden & Carter together sounds good on paper, but causes problems on both ends (especially defense). I think both of them play around 20-25 minutes a game, but mostly subbing for each other rather than extended minutes on the floor together.

This doesn't mean we won't see a decent amount of 2 "traditional" big lineups. I think Javin is much more suited to play the 4 on D than either Bolden or Carter, because of his lateral quickness. I do think Bolden and Carter will play together at times, but it will be more of a gimmick lineup than anything we use with regularity.

luvdahops
04-04-2017, 04:06 PM

Well, Williams only took 40 3s for the year (1 per game), so I wouldn't really characterize him a stretch 4. He is very athletic, and good at facing up and attacking and finishing off the bounce, as evidenced by a 48% free throw rate and 63% shooting on 2 point FGs. But to me, that profiles as somewhere between a stretch 4 and a more traditional, face-up post player, and probably closer to the latter. And it sounds like Carter may have that sort of potential, at least on offense. Defense is probably a different story, though to some extent dependent on matchups, and whether we remain as committed defensively to defending pick and rolls the way we have in the past 2-3 years.

lotusland
04-04-2017, 04:36 PM
I agree. And I think that this was the plan this year. At least one of Bolden and Giles was going to be a 25+ mpg guy along with Tatum and Jefferson. But Giles and Bolden just never caught up to the rest of the team. And coach decided to ride the guys that were performing, for better or for worse.

I don't doubt that Coach K will be willing to play some of the game with both Bolden and Carter in there together. Maybe even 15-20 mpg. But that's only if both guys prove up to the challenge. Unfortunately, this year our backups were apparently not up to the challenge.

We had 5th year Amile and Tatum starting at 4 and 5 this year. Neither freshman Carter nor sophomore Bolden should be expected to play as many minutes as Amile did this year. Duke more typically has 3 guys rotating in the post but rarely is more than one considered stretch 4. Parker, Hood and Amile with a splash of Hairston was one exception since Hood and Parker could both shoot but Hood also played the 3 some.

*****1 stretch 4*****
MP3, Brandon, Amile/Jeter
Okafor , Winslow and Amile with a splash of MP3
MP2, Ryan, Amile
MP1, MP2, Ryan
MP1, MP2 Singler/Ryan

*** 0 Stretch 4s ****
Zoubs, Lance, MP1, MP2

sagegrouse
04-04-2017, 06:00 PM
Yeah, but that hasn't been this program's bread-and-butter for 30 years, though. I definitely want the ability to play two bigs at the same time when it is appropriate, and we should have that now that Marques is confirmed back, BUT we'll also need to have someone who can spread the court at the 4. And it's more important for Duke to have that guy on the roster than it would be for UNC and Gonzaga. Every coach/program has a wheelhouse. (Essentially, landing Kevin Knox is still very important.)

I agree, but then why did we have five bigs on the roster: Amile, Harry, Marques, Javin and Vrank?

El_Diablo
04-04-2017, 06:18 PM
I agree, but then why did we have five bigs on the roster: Amile, Harry, Marques, Javin and Vrank?

Bolden was brought in last. At that point, Amile and Harry were coming off season-ending injuries the year before (and neither was expected to be around past this year).

Javin and Vrank were likely not expected to be major contributors this year and are probably on the roster for 2018-20 more than whatever they were expected to do this year.

MChambers
04-04-2017, 06:19 PM

Don't think Javin and Vrank were expected to contribute much this year. And Harry might have been able to stretch the floor a little, if he'd been fully healthy. And Amile's jump shot was improved in the offseason, but then went AWOL, as it did every year.

CDu
04-04-2017, 06:34 PM

We actually had six: those guys and Jeter. But I suspect it was a combination of the following:

Bolden was brought in last. At that point, Amile and Harry were coming off season-ending injuries the year before.

Javin and Vrank were likely not expected to be major contributors this year and are probably on the roster for 2018-20 more than whatever they were expected to do this year.

I suspect the staff also had doubts about Jeter being useful.

I think they perhaps envisioned using the combination of Bolden and Giles for about 30-35 minutes per game, distributed as needed based on each's readiness. Combine that with 25-30 mpg for Jefferson, and you have a 55-65 minute rotation of bigs, with 15-25 mpg for Tatum at PF and some minutes for Tatum at SF. I don't think they planned on Jeter/Varnkovic/ DeLaurier to be in-game contributors this year.

Unfortunately, for whatever reasons, Bolden and Jeter weren't able to match the productivity of Jefferson at C, and Tatum proved most effective at PF. So that put a wrench into their plans.

Troublemaker
04-04-2017, 08:15 PM

I know that he takes threes in his high school games, but I don't know that he's accurate enough yet to take them in college AND have college defenders respect and guard him out there.

I don't have his high school stats, but here are his AAU stats (Nike circuit) from the past two summers (http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/11885347):

http://i.imgur.com/mCW6GO9.png

It looks like when he's surrounded by more talent, he's not so quick to launch the threes. Also, his free-throw shooting doesn't reveal a big man who should be shooting lots of outside shots.

But it's possible he's advanced a lot since last summer.

Troublemaker
04-04-2017, 09:54 PM
Some Pre-Season Bolden

This play comes from a segment of the Duke Open Practice that somebody recorded on their phone (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a6Y9RFDO_KI). (I forget whom to credit for that).

The play is best viewed using this link to the big, higher-resolution version of it (https://gfycat.com/ImmediateIllfatedKentrosaurus), but I include the small, lower-res version below, anyway.

I don't know which one of Marques or Frank messes up defending this side pick-n-roll (PNR). Based on the youtube audio, I think Marques does call out "ICE ICE ICE," but Frank doesn't respond by moving into "ice" position to prevent Luke, the ball-handler, from driving middle. Regardless, it's not the beginning of the play that interests me but the end.

You see, a lot of times good defensive teams don't communicate perfectly, and they will mess up several coverages during a game. BUT, the good defensive teams often have players with top-notch physical skills who can scramble and erase the mistakes. That's what Marques is able to do here. With his long arms, he first covers up the roll man Chase, who has slipped the screen. Then, Marques has the awareness to find Luke, who is attempting a layup, and uses his length to block Luke's shot softly. Marques then NIMBLY saves the ball to Jayson, who starts the break going the other way. It's a beautiful defensive play.

I'm hoping that between a healthy (knock on wood) Marques and Wendell next season, we'll have some high-level erasers on the team.

https://thumbs.gfycat.com/ImmediateIllfatedKentrosaurus-size_restricted.gif

I might post a couple more Pre-Season Boldens

sagegrouse
04-04-2017, 10:27 PM
I know that he takes threes in his high school games, but I don't know that he's accurate enough yet to take them in college AND have college defenders respect and guard him out there.

I don't have his high school stats, but here are his AAU stats (Nike circuit) from the past two summers (http://www.d1circuit.com/roster_players/11885347):

It looks like when he's surrounded by more talent, he's not so quick to launch the threes. Also, his free-throw shooting doesn't reveal a big man who should be shooting lots of outside shots.

But it's possible he's advanced a lot since last summer.
Although, to be fair, stats of 6 for 19 from three over two summers means very, very little.

Troublemaker
04-04-2017, 10:51 PM
Although, to be fair, stats of 6 for 19 from three over two summers means very, very little.

No, I wouldn't say that at all. If Wendell's a 3-pt shooter, why only 19 attempts in 40 games of AAU ball?

Unfortunately, I can't find his stats from Pace Academy, where I hear he does put up a decent amount of threes. Having those stats from Pace would eliminate any mystery about this. I do heavily suspect his percentage at Pace will be ugly. Because when he's surrounded by a lot of talent, he longer shoots threes.

sagegrouse
04-04-2017, 11:16 PM
No, I wouldn't say that at all. If Wendell's a 3-pt shooter, why only 19 attempts in 40 games of AAU ball?

Unfortunately, I can't find his stats from Pace Academy, where I hear he does put up a decent amount of threes. Having those stats from Pace would eliminate any mystery about this. I do heavily suspect his percentage at Pace will be ugly. Because when he's surrounded by a lot of talent, he longer shoots threes.

Ah, yes! The sun dawns over Marblehead! You were referring to the infrequency of his shots not his ability to make them.

brevity
04-05-2017, 01:05 AM
I'm considering spending the rest of my life with Adriana Lima. What's your point?

To then change it to "he is considering transferring" is like saying that I am "considering" playing shortstop for the Yankees - it is something that is always on my mind, but that doesn't mean it is going to happen.

I thought it was funny that these statements were variations of the same thing.

BD80
04-05-2017, 07:39 AM
I thought it was funny that these statements were variations of the same thing.

My imagination can barely keep up with Jeter's actual love life ...

moonpie23
04-05-2017, 08:00 AM
can we change the thread title to "Bolden staying at Duke!" ?

FadedTackyShirt
04-05-2017, 08:21 AM
My imagination can barely keep up with Jeter's actual love life ...

Jeter should be in the mix to replace K: consistenty recruits at a high level, plays a deep rotation, and avoids lifelong Carolina fans (Brooklyn Decker). Does have a fair amount of roster turnover.

Minka Kelly and Jessica Alba were his best recruits, but apparently the GOAT shagger believes Hannah Davis isn't a OAD and has a high ceiling. Mariah Carey may bang down low, but less versatile than Jeter's preferred long limbed stretch 10s.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-05-2017, 08:25 AM
Jeter should be in the mix to replace K: consistenty recruits at a high level, plays a deep rotation, and avoids lifelong Carolina fans (Brooklyn Decker). Does have a fair amount of roster turnover.

Minka Kelly and Jessica Alba were his best recruits, but apparently the GOAT shagger believes Hannah Davis isn't a OAD and has a high ceiling. Mariah Carey may bang down low, but less versatile than Jeter's preferred long limbed stretch 10s.

<ins joke about not being attached to "positions" and something about tremendous upside>

Troublemaker
04-05-2017, 08:38 AM
can we change the thread title to "Bolden staying at Duke!" ?

Agreed. Let's end this minor controversy.

At this point -- with so many complaints -- it's obvious I titled the thread wrong even if I understood it differently.

You were referring to the infrequency of his shots not his ability to make them.

Yes, but I do think the former says something about the latter.

I just checked his Team USA stats, and Wendell didn't shoot threes with them either.

Spanarkel
04-05-2017, 08:55 AM
Agreed. Let's end this minor controversy.

At this point -- with so many complaints -- it's obvious I titled the thread wrong even if I understood it differently.

Yes, but I do think the former says something about the latter.

I just checked his Team USA stats, and Wendell didn't shoot threes with them either.

From Atlanta Journal-Constitution(3/31/17):

Carter, a 6-foot-10 forward, averaged 22.7 points, 15.5 rebounds and 5.8 blocks per game for Pace Academy, which he led to state titles in boys basketball for the first times in 2016 and 2017.

It was harder for Pace Academy and Carter this time. A year ago, the Knights defeated all five playoff opponents by 10 points or more. This year, there were a series of close playoff games as Pace Academy moved up in classification to AAA.

In the quarterfinals at home, the Knights went to overtime to defeat No. 1-ranked Westside-Macon 53-50, as Carter nearly met his match against Westside’s Khavon Moore, the No. 1 recruit among juniors.

Pace Academy then defeated Liberty County — which had two first-team all-state players — 71-62 in Savannah. Carter made 16 of 20 free throws, had two 3-pointers and scored 32 points.

In the finals, Pace Academy defeated defending AAA champion Morgan County 54-46, as Carter scored 20 points and had 17 rebounds.

“What makes him different from everybody else is when the stage is set he will rise to the capacity of the stage,’’ Pace Academy coach Demetrius Smith said. “The bigger it gets, the better he plays.’’

Smith said that Duke is getting a nearly complete player, physically and academically. The consensus No. 5 recruit in the country, Carter developed more quickly as a defensive player and rebounder. His passing skills are outstanding. Now, he’s an elite scorer, too.

“At 6-10, he can score at all three levels going left or right,’’ Smith said. “He can come off picks and staggered screens to catch and shoot 3s. His one-two game has also evolved with his mid-range jump shot. There is not much he cannot do.’’

brevity
04-05-2017, 09:53 AM

What a difference a year makes.

DBR, 2016: Duke doesn't need to deal with Derryck Thornton's uncle-or-whatever!
DBR, 2017: Duke should try to get Chase Jeter's uncle-or-whatever.

BD80
04-05-2017, 09:58 AM
What a difference a year makes.

DBR, 2016: Duke doesn't need to deal with Derryck Thornton's uncle-or-whatever!
DBR, 2017: Duke should try to get Chase Jeter's uncle-or-whatever.

It's not the year, it's the recruiting base (international - 5 star) and recruiting successes (I wanted to say "scores," but wouldn't).

Jeffrey
04-05-2017, 10:00 AM
We actually had six: those guys and Jeter.

We actually had seven; those guys and Obi. I suspect we have never had seven before, and will never again, during the K years. I do not think we were planning on giving Thornton's scholarship to Bolden.