PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else want to do a Last Man Challenge with the championship game?

hurleyfor3
04-02-2017, 06:27 PM
The Last Man Challenge (http://www.lastman.us/) is a contest to see how long you can go without knowing the outcome of a well-publicized sporting event. As the link indicates, it was popularized during the Super Bowl a couple years back.

I have no interest in watching unc win a national championship, so I tried it last year. I lasted until Wednesday morning. A friend almost cost me when he texted me right after the game ended, but it was a vague text and I let him know my mission. (So people who have my other contact info: Do not ruin this for me!)

For a couple days I'll try to stay away from sports media, but I can't do that forever. I'm guessing I'll find out once I tune into the Masters.

If anyone else wants to try this, post here and then again when you find out who won and how you found out (snippet on teevee, conversation at work, etc). Once the game starts, I won't visit again until I "lose".

rsvman
04-02-2017, 07:14 PM
No can do. Last year's final was so richly rewarding.

weezie
04-02-2017, 07:36 PM
I'll try but the man who does my heavy gardening is coming Tuesday morning to mulch. He's a hole fan and enjoys yammering. Perhaps I shall just raise the drawbridge over the moat and send the butler out to deal with him.
:(

But, always nice to see you around here H43!

hurleyfor3
04-02-2017, 07:48 PM
I'll try but the man who does my heavy gardening is coming Tuesday morning to mulch. He's a hole fan and enjoys yammering.

I... consider that poor planning.

Reminds me of freshman year when I got a speeding ticket on Campus Drive. The officer (Durham PD), perhaps out of spite, set the court date for the morning after the championship game. The final score of which was UNLV 103, Duke 73. Couldn't ignore that one.

Perhaps I shall just raise the drawbridge over the moat and send the butler out to deal with him.

That's what you call your husband now?

DinoDuke
04-02-2017, 07:57 PM
My workplace has a ton of unc fans who will no doubt be talking about the game afterwards, regardless of the outcome. So my options are to not enter or quit my workplace. I think I'll quit my job.

devildeac
04-02-2017, 08:22 PM
I'll try but the man who does my heavy gardening is coming Tuesday morning to mulch. He's a hole fan and enjoys yammering. Perhaps I shall just raise the drawbridge over the moat and send the butler out to deal with him.
:(

But, always nice to see you around here H43!

That already failed. :rolleyes::mad:

moonpie23
04-02-2017, 08:35 PM
i'll prolly do it till tues morning.....

Newton_14
04-02-2017, 09:54 PM
No way Jose. Can't do it. I will watch from the opening tip until the final horn when the Gonzaga players go nuts over their first ever National Title, and enjoy the ol cheating roy meltdown just like last season. Go Zags!

BandAlum83
04-03-2017, 02:19 AM
I may very well try it. I don't plan to watch the game. I work from home, so can avoid the water cooler chatter.

I would have to stay away from DBR, but I think I can handle that.

Hmmm. I won't tell anyone my mission and will do nothing to seek out the winner.

Interesting.

kshepinthehouse
04-03-2017, 05:54 AM
The last title UNC won I didn't watch. In my mind it's like it never happened.

jjredickrules
04-03-2017, 09:04 AM
Last year I tried this. I figured it would be Schrödinger's championship: if I don't observe the outcome, UNC both won and lost. I was 101% convinced they would win, so as long as they lost as well I could be ok.

The problem was that I was in grad school at UNC with class the next morning. I yelled at everyone entering class to not tell me anything. Someone told me about the final play, but I thought that they had to have been trolling me. I didn't see the clip until this season.

I can't do it this year. I'm in charge of the office bracket, and some prize money is dependent on the outcome (and possibly the score for a tiebreaker, if UNC loses). Also, I'm "that guy" in the office that everyone loves to give crap about Duke/UNC. Wouldn't last long.

devildeac
04-03-2017, 09:14 AM
i'll prolly do it till tues morning....

Wait, I thought you'd know already from your radio feed...

;)

Troublemaker
04-03-2017, 09:23 AM
No way Jose. Can't do it. I will watch from the opening tip until the final horn when the Gonzaga players go nuts over their first ever National Title, and enjoy the ol cheating roy meltdown just like last season. Go Zags!

No risk, no reward... I'll be watching with you, N_14. Go Zags!

brevity
04-04-2017, 12:04 AM
I hope you all turned off any news alerts from your phone.

hurleyfor3
04-06-2017, 12:01 AM
Just found out. Was searching for something on Amazon and a national champion t-shirt popped up. No, Amazon, I may not be also be interested in that.

Although I did go just over 48 hours (2157 Mountain time).

I hope you all turned off any news alerts from your phone.

Someone texted me Monday night right around when the game would have ended. (Edit: It was my cousin, who went to UMass so usually roots for Calipari, although sounds like he rooted for Gonzaga here.) I covered up the text in order to just see the "X" box to close it.

BandAlum83
04-06-2017, 11:32 AM
So I still have no idea who won Monday night, but I miss DBR!

So I've come out here and am posting to let everyone know. Now I will start to read some threads and will invariably find out.

Its 11:30 AM EDT Thursday where I am. I'll start by reading this thread. How ironic if I learns who won from reading this thread.

BandAlum83
04-06-2017, 11:35 AM
So I still have no idea who won Monday night, but I miss DBR!

So I've come out here and am posting to let everyone know. Now I will start to read some threads and will invariably find out.

Its 11:30 AM EDT Thursday where I am. I'll start by reading this thread. How ironic if I learns who won from reading this thread.

No spoilers on this thread. Well done!

BandAlum83
04-06-2017, 12:03 PM
12:00 Noon Thursday. I am now officially not the last man standing.

I could have gone a long long time, I suppose, but I missed my daily DBR!