PDA

View Full Version : 2017-18 Schedule Information

Olympic Fan
04-02-2017, 02:34 PM
Okay, it's early, but let's start putting together what info we can glean about next year's schedule.

First, the good news -- after playing the toughest ACC unbalanced schedule that it's possible to play, we get a much more reasonable lineup in the league next year.

You remember this year, the ACC put nine teams in the NCAA and Duke played all eight of the possible NCAA teams on the road ... plus Syracuse, which was probably the greatest home/road split in the league.

Next year's ACC schedule involves home-and-home with UNC and Wake Forest (our permanent partners, we get them every year) and a home-and- home with Virginia Tech and Pitt. We play road only games with Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Boston College and N.C. State ... we get home only games with Notre Dame, Virginia, Louisville, Florida State and Syracuse.

That's a MUCH easier schedule -- the two games with Pitt are nice (they lose all five starters) and while I'm not saying any of these will be easy, but playing at BC, Clemson, Georgia Tech is much easier than playing at Louisville, Virginia and Notre Dame. Plus we get Syracuse at home (I know we lost to them in Cameron in 2016, but they are still much more vulnerable on the road).

Okay, we also know that we get Michigan State in the Champions Classic -- we had Kansas this season and Kentucky the year before. A good game on a neutral court against an improving team (they were awfully young this season).

Getting Michigan State early means it's VERY unlikely we get the Spartans in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. No clue who we do get, although it's almost certain we get a road game (after two straight home games). Best guess is that Duke will face one of the teams coming off a road game in the challenge -- that means Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Ohio State, Rutgers or Nebraska (also Michigan State, but we won't get them). Knowing that ESPN sets the matchups and wants a premier opponent for Duke, it won't be Rutgers or Nebraska.

I was hoping this was the year we return to Maui, but that's in November 2018 (we're there with Gonzaga, Arizona, Illinois, Xavier, Iowa State and Auburn).

instead, we're playing in an event called the Phil Knight Invitational -- an incredible 16-team field that includes Duke, UNC, Oregon, Florida, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Butler, Arkansas, UConn, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Stanford, It was supposed to include Kentucky and Xavier, but they had to pull out.

The thing is, that instead of a 16 team tournament, this is going to be two eight team tournaments. The split has not been announced (at least I can't find it), but it's very likely that we won't be in the eight-team tourney with UNC or Michigan State ... but Oregon and Gonzaga are very possible. The tourney is in Portland over the Thanksgiving holiday.

We are pretty certain to have a significant game in Madison Square Garden just before Christmas.

Anyway, that's as far as I can take it. I welcome additions as they become known.

BlueDevil2K
04-02-2017, 03:38 PM
instead, we're playing in an event called the Phil Knight Invitational -- an incredible 16-team field that includes Duke, UNC, Oregon, Florida, Michigan State, Gonzaga, Georgetown, Butler, Arkansas, UConn, Ohio State, Oklahoma and Stanford, It was supposed to include Kentucky and Xavier, but they had to pull out.

The thing is, that instead of a 16 team tournament, this is going to be two eight team tournaments. The split has not been announced (at least I can't find it), but it's very likely that we won't be in the eight-team tourney with UNC or Michigan State ... but Oregon and Gonzaga are very possible. The tourney is in Portland over the Thanksgiving holiday.

From the website (http://pkinvitational.com/about):

The event will consist of two brackets of eight teams, with each bracket limited to one team per conference.

So definitely no UNC...and you can play either/or with the teams from other conferences (i.e. no Michigan State *and* Ohio State)...

duke2x
04-02-2017, 03:50 PM
Add @St. John's on 2/3/18. I think this might be instead of the MSG game. The 18 game ACC schedule means we play 12-13 non-conference games. We already have 6 with the ACC-B10 challenge. It would be unprecedented for us to get a home game in the ACC-B10 3 years in a row or to play more games outside Cameron (7) than in (5-6).

CBS Sports Link (http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/duke-will-reportedly-play-st-johns-in-2018-and-2019/)

Troublemaker
04-02-2017, 04:06 PM
From the website (http://pkinvitational.com/about):

The event will consist of two brackets of eight teams, with each bracket limited to one team per conference.

So definitely no UNC...and you can play either/or with the teams from other conferences (i.e. no Michigan State *and* Ohio State)...

Yes, 6 conferences are sending two teams each, and the pairs will play in separate brackets:

ACC - Duke, UNC
B10 - MSU, Ohio St
B12 - Texas, Oklahoma
BigE - Butler, Georgetown
Pac12 - Oregon, Stanford
SEC - Florida, Arkansas

4 conferences are sending one team:
Gonzaga
UConn
Portland
Portland St

I would expect Portland and Portland St to be in separate brackets and be the 8 seed to the 1 seed in each bracket. (Not that they will necessarily officially seed the teams). That would mean Zaga and UConn will also be in separate brackets.

Duke and Ohio St will likely be in the same bracket because Duke and Michigan St are already going to play in the Champions Classic.

Troublemaker
04-02-2017, 04:12 PM
Add @St. John's on 2/3/18. I think this might be instead of the MSG game. The 18 game ACC schedule means we play 12-13 non-conference games. We already have 6 with the ACC-B10 challenge. It would be unprecedented for us to get a home game in the ACC-B10 3 years in a row or to play more games outside Cameron (7) than in (5-6).

CBS Sports Link (http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/duke-will-reportedly-play-st-johns-in-2018-and-2019/)

Next season will be Chris Mullins' third.

1st season, SJU went 8-24 (1-17 in the BE) and was kenpom #211.
2nd season, SJU went 14-19 (7-11 in the BE) and was kenpom #99.

If they make another big jump between Mullins' 2nd and 3rd season, that could be a very tough road game.

Troublemaker
04-02-2017, 05:20 PM
Yes, 6 conferences are sending two teams each, and the pairs will play in separate brackets:

ACC - Duke, UNC
B10 - MSU, Ohio St
B12 - Texas, Oklahoma
BigE - Butler, Georgetown
Pac12 - Oregon, Stanford
SEC - Florida, Arkansas

Gonzaga
UConn
Portland
Portland St

I would expect Portland and Portland St to be in separate brackets and be the 8 seed to the 1 seed in each bracket. (Not that they will necessarily officially seed the teams). That would mean Zaga and UConn will also be in separate brackets.

Duke and Ohio St will likely be in the same bracket because Duke and Michigan St are already going to play in the Champions Classic.

Below is my attempt to form the two 8-team brackets. Here are my assumptions not previously mentioned:

Oregon will be the marquee team for one of the brackets because this tournament takes place in Portland and because it is Phil Knight's alma mater (along with Stanford for business school).
Duke will be the marquee team for the other bracket because, well, we're Duke. No offense to UNC (who might be Thor-hammered by that point), Michigan St, or Gonzaga
The tournament will separate the two PNW powers, Oregon and Gonzaga, into separate brackets
Oregon has played Portland St numerous times in recent years but hasn't played Portland in awhile, so Oregon's bracket will receive Portland and Duke's bracket will receive Portland St
With only Duke and Gonzaga in one bracket but Oregon, UNC, and Michigan St in the other, Duke's bracket will receive the (assumed) better of the Big East and SEC teams to help balance things out. So, Butler over Georgetown, and Florida over Arkansas.
Flipped a coin to decide how to split the Red River Rivalry. Both Texas and Oklahoma are young teams that should be much improved next season.

Bracket #1
Conference
Bracket #2

Duke
ACC
UNC

Stanford
Pac 12
Oregon

Ohio St
Big 10
Michigan St

Gonzaga
x
UConn

Butler
Big East
Georgetown

Florida
SEC
Arkansas

Texas
Big 12
Oklahoma

Portland St
x
Portland

Here's what that would like with (unofficial) seedings:

Seed
Bracket #1
Seed
Bracket #2

Duke
Oregon

Portland St
Portland

Butler
Arkansas

Texas
Oklahoma

Florida
Michigan St

Ohio St
Georgetown

Gonzaga
UNC

Stanford
UConn

Anyway, let's see how close I come. (Hey, it's the offseason! Let's see if you can waste your time better than this!)

brevity
04-02-2017, 05:33 PM
Gonzaga
UConn
Portland
Portland St

Gonzaga and Portland are in the WCC. Your hypothetical brackets do keep them apart, but not intentionally.

Troublemaker
04-02-2017, 05:43 PM
Gonzaga and Portland are in the WCC. Your hypothetical brackets do keep them apart, but not intentionally.

Dang it! That's what I get for not thoroughly checking.

Phew, that it still worked out in the end. Still believe Portland and Portland St will be separated, which means Zaga and UConn will be separated.

sagegrouse
04-02-2017, 06:29 PM
Below is my attempt to form the two 8-team brackets. Here are my assumptions not previously mentioned:

Oregon will be the marquee team for one of the brackets because this tournament takes place in Portland and because it is Phil Knight's alma mater (along with Stanford for business school).
Duke will be the marquee team for the other bracket because, well, we're Duke. No offense to UNC (who might be Thor-hammered by that point), Michigan St, or Gonzaga
The tournament will separate the two PNW powers, Oregon and Gonzaga, into separate brackets
Oregon has played Portland St numerous times in recent years but hasn't played Portland in awhile, so Oregon's bracket will receive Portland and Duke's bracket will receive Portland St
With only Duke and Gonzaga in one bracket but Oregon, UNC, and Michigan St in the other, Duke's bracket will receive the (assumed) better of the Big East and SEC teams to help balance things out. So, Butler over Georgetown, and Florida over Arkansas.
Flipped a coin to decide how to split the Red River Rivalry. Both Texas and Oklahoma are young teams that should be much improved next season.

Anyway, let's see how close I come. (Hey, it's the offseason! Let's see if you can waste your time better than this!)

FWIW, I expect Gonzaga and Oregon could be the "premier" teams in the two brackets -- West Coast teams that made the FF. UNC would likely be in Gonzaga's bracket, with NC re-match potential (no matter what happens tonight). That puts Duke in Oregon's bracket.

But I like your scenario.

brevity
04-02-2017, 08:19 PM
Nike insiders are saying that members of the NCAA Selection Committee are reuniting to fill the two Phil Knight Invitational brackets.

Jordan Bracket

UNC
Arkansas
Michigan State
Stanford
Texas
Georgetown
Portland
Portland State

Non-Jordan Bracket

Duke
Gonzaga
Oregon
Florida
Butler
Ohio State
Connecticut
Oklahoma

"That looks fair." - Bubba Cunningham

devildeac
04-02-2017, 08:28 PM
Nike insiders are saying that members of the NCAA Selection Committee are reuniting to fill the two Phil Knight Invitational brackets.

Ceiling Bracket

UNC
Arkansas
Michigan State
Stanford
Texas
Georgetown
Portland
Portland State

Roof Bracket

Duke
Gonzaga
Oregon
Florida
Butler
Ohio State
Connecticut
Oklahoma

"That looks fair." - Bubba Cunningham

Alternative nomenclature above. ;)

HCheek37
04-04-2017, 09:33 AM
Would there be a separate NC game in Jacksonville, maybe a neutral site game (Jacksonville - site of the 2010 team's first 2 NCAA games) against Florida or a smaller Florida team again as a Grayson homecoming game if he decides to stay?

(Completely off topic but I looked up Jacksonville as a possible opponent - would be an interesting game as they graduate 9 of 11 players, the second most experienced team in the country this year)

Or would K perhaps count the road game at Miami for Grayson's homecoming?

Dev11
04-04-2017, 09:49 AM
Would there be a separate NC game in Jacksonville, maybe a neutral site game (Jacksonville - site of the 2010 team's first 2 NCAA games) against Florida or a smaller Florida team again as a Grayson homecoming game if he decides to stay?

(Completely off topic but I looked up Jacksonville as a possible opponent - would be an interesting game as they graduate 9 of 11 players, the second most experienced team in the country this year)

He will also have had at least two games in Tallahassee, which isn't exactly Jacksonville, but is probably close enough that any of his friends and relatives who wanted to attend could have. I think the point of the 'homecoming' games is for guys whose hometowns are outside our normal region, like Scheyer in Chicago (before the Champions Classic sent us there regularly) and Singler in Oregon. Guys like Matt Jones, Amile Jefferson, and all the Plumlees got de facto 'homecoming' games in their nearby big cities through the tournament at some point during their careers.

Spanarkel
04-04-2017, 10:02 AM
Okay, it's early, but let's start putting together what info we can glean about next year's schedule.

First, the good news -- after playing the toughest ACC unbalanced schedule that it's possible to play, we get a much more reasonable lineup in the league next year.

You remember this year, the ACC put nine teams in the NCAA and Duke played all eight of the possible NCAA teams on the road ... plus Syracuse, which was probably the greatest home/road split in the league.

Next year's ACC schedule involves home-and-home with UNC and Wake Forest (our permanent partners, we get them every year) and a home-and- home with Virginia Tech and Pitt. We play road only games with Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson, Boston College and N.C. State ... we get home only games with Notre Dame, Virginia, Louisville, Florida State and Syracuse.

That's a MUCH easier schedule -- the two games with Pitt are nice (they lose all five starters) and while I'm not saying any of these will be easy, but playing at BC, Clemson, Georgia Tech is much easier than playing at Louisville, Virginia and Notre Dame. Plus we get Syracuse at home (I know we lost to them in Cameron in 2016, but they are still much more vulnerable on the road).

Okay, we also know that we get Michigan State in the Champions Classic -- we had Kansas this season and Kentucky the year before. A good game on a neutral court against an improving team (they were awfully young this season).

Getting Michigan State early means it's VERY unlikely we get the Spartans in the ACC/Big Ten Challenge. No clue who we do get, although it's almost certain we get a road game (after two straight home games). Best guess is that Duke will face one of the teams coming off a road game in the challenge -- that means Minnesota, Iowa, Purdue, Ohio State, Rutgers or Nebraska (also Michigan State, but we won't get them). Knowing that ESPN sets the matchups and wants a premier opponent for Duke, it won't be Rutgers or Nebraska.

I was hoping this was the year we return to Maui, but that's in November 2018 (we're there with Gonzaga, Arizona, Illinois, Xavier, Iowa State and Auburn).

We are pretty certain to have a significant game in Madison Square Garden just before Christmas.

Anyway, that's as far as I can take it. I welcome additions as they become known.

Thanks for all the schedule information, to which I'll return many times between now and the official schedule's release this summer! I hope Duke adds a non-conference game between the last pre-Christmas game and the start of ACC play. This past season we had 9 days off between Elon on 12/21 and VPI on 12/31. Let's go, Duke!("Only" 6 months until the start of practice!)

DangerDevil
04-04-2017, 10:21 AM

Tallasahee might work, it is 165 miles from Jacksonville, Jacksonville to Miami is 350 miles. Durham to Jacksonville is 475 miles.

Let's hope that Grayson gives K a reason to schedule a homecoming game wherever it ends up being played!

Natty_B
04-04-2017, 10:50 AM
Great breakdown here and for awhile I've been thinking about how the brutal road games this year will turn into home games next year and vice versa. However the only note of caution should be we're never entirely sure what teams will look like this far out. Check out this hot take from last summer saying Duke had an easy non-conference sked this year:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/dukes-non-conference-schedule-for-next-season-leaves-plenty-to-be-desired/

Turned out to be wrong as Kansas and Florida were elite 8 and even Rhode Island came within a few plays of beating Oregon. AND of course Duke wasn't as good as we thought they were going to be. FWIW I would guess Ohio State or Purdue for the Challenge.

hallcity
05-31-2017, 01:20 PM
Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC 17m17 minutes ago

Duke faces Portland State in PK80. Also in same bracket with Florida, Stanford, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Butler and Texas

I guess this means Duke won't play Ohio State in the ACC-B1G Challenge

Troublemaker
05-31-2017, 01:23 PM
Bracket #1
Conference
Bracket #2

Duke
ACC
UNC

Stanford
Pac 12
Oregon

Ohio St
Big 10
Michigan St

Gonzaga
x
UConn

Butler
Big East
Georgetown

Florida
SEC
Arkansas

Texas
Big 12
Oklahoma

Portland St
x
Portland

Holy moly. I went 16 for 16 on my guesses. I just didn't quite seed the teams correctly.

http://pkinvitational.com/brackets/

WiJoe
http://pkinvitational.com

Olympic Fan
The two 8-team tourney brackets have been released

Duke will open against Portland State on Nov. 23, then face either Butler or Texas in the second game the 24th. The teams in the other half of the bracket are Florida, Gonzaga, Ohio State and Stanford.

In the other bracket, the Cheats open against Portland, then face either Arkansas or Oklahoma. That means they won't come up against Michigan State or Oregon until the finals. Georgetown and UConn are also in that bracket.

Troublemaker
05-31-2017, 01:29 PM
Duke's bracket below. Potential 2nd-round matchup with Bamba.

http://i.imgur.com/bkJju4E.png

Troublemaker
05-31-2017, 01:33 PM
The other bracket. We, of course, could not get MSU in our bracket because we're already slated to play them in the Champions Classic.

http://i.imgur.com/wnUlf3G.png

Rich
05-31-2017, 01:34 PM
Stephen Wiseman‏ @stevewisemanNC 17m17 minutes ago

Duke faces Portland State in PK80. Also in same bracket with Florida, Stanford, Gonzaga, Ohio State, Butler and Texas

I guess this means Duke won't play Ohio State in the ACC-B1G Challenge

http://pkinvitational.com

It's not clear whether the bracket winners play each other. I'm assuming not since I don't think Duke and Carolina would agree to potentially play each other so early in the year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-31-2017, 01:36 PM
Duke's bracket below. Potential 2nd-round matchup with Bamba.

http://i.imgur.com/bkJju4E.png

Thanks for posting. So we are playing on Thanksgiving day? I think that is a first - usually no other sports try to compete with the NFL games that day. The Thanksgiving games are likely the least interesting ones.

hallcity
05-31-2017, 01:37 PM
It's not clear whether the bracket winners play each other. I'm assuming not since I don't think Duke and Carolina would agree to potentially play each other so early in the year. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

They don't. I just found the bracket:

UrinalCake
05-31-2017, 01:44 PM
The PKI field is loaded and will provide some great early tests. I love the idea of the event and am looking forward to kicking off the season. Regarding the ACC/B10 Challenge I believe it is a rule that every four years you have to play two road games and two away games. So we are guaranteed to play on the road, and assuming it's not MSU (though I am unaware of an actual rule that would preclude us playing them twice) I would guess that we play Purdue. Even with Swanigan opting to stay in the draft literally within minutes of the deadline, they still bring back most everybody else and provide a tough road environment.

Olympic Fan
05-31-2017, 01:59 PM
I have been doing some work with a national publication and while our preseason top 25 is not set, looking at Duke's non-conference schedule, I think Duke is in line to play:

-- top 5 (maybe top 3) Michigan State in the Champions classic

-- top 10-15 Butler in the PKI (Texas is not likely to be preseason top 25 ... if so, barely in at the bottom of the rankings)

-- top 10-15 Gonzaga or top 15-20 Oregon in the PKI

-- a ranked Big Ten opponent in the Challenge. It's looking more and more like a game at Purdue (top 15-20; Purdue lost Swanigan, but returns four other starters including Haas and Edwards)

-- at unranked St. John's

-- unranked South Dakota in Cameron

-- I'm still convinced Duke will play a quality opponent in New York (MSG, Barclays or the Meadowlands) just before Christmas

Overall, it's looking like a tougher non-conference schedule than we played last year ... balanced by a much easier ACC schedule

rasputin
05-31-2017, 02:15 PM

It is my understanding that this event is actually two separate eight-team tournaments, with no crossovers into the other side of the bracket and two "champions" which do not play each other at the end. Hence the separation of conferences.

Troublemaker
05-31-2017, 02:34 PM
I have been doing some work with a national publication and while our preseason top 25 is not set, looking at Duke's non-conference schedule, I think Duke is in line to play:

-- top 10-15 Butler in the PKI (Texas is not likely to be preseason top 25 ... if so, barely in at the bottom of the rankings)

I think you meant Florida, which should also be top-15 and is probably my way-too-early pick to advance from that half of Duke's bracket to play Duke in the final.

I would guess that we play Purdue. Even with Swanigan opting to stay in the draft literally within minutes of the deadline, they still bring back most everybody else and provide a tough road environment.

-- a ranked Big Ten opponent in the Challenge. It's looking more and more like a game at Purdue (top 15-20; Purdue lost Swanigan, but returns four other starters including Haas and Edwards)

I'd still bet on Michigan being our opponent myself. Purdue actually owes us a return game in Cameron because we played at Purdue several years back. And we owe Michigan a return game in Ann Arbor.

Then again, perhaps I am overestimating how important it is to "balance the books" in this fashion.

CrazyNotCrazie
05-31-2017, 02:57 PM

-- at unranked St. John's

-- unranked South Dakota in Cameron

-- I'm still convinced Duke will play a quality opponent in New York (MSG, Barclays or the Meadowlands) just before Christmas

Overall, it's looking like a tougher non-conference schedule than we played last year ... balanced by a much easier ACC schedule

Thanks for the helpful overview. I know that historically we have played St. John's during the meat of the ACC season but I wouldn't be surprised if that doubled as our NYC-area December game this year given the number of other premium non-conference games we have, combined with a young team.

One nit - the Meadowlands (aka Cameron north) is essentially dormant and out of commission. It has largely been replaced by the Prudential Center in Newark, where the Devils and Seton Hall play.

sagegrouse
05-31-2017, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the helpful overview. I know that historically we have played St. John's during the meat of the ACC season but I wouldn't be surprised if that doubled as our NYC-area December game this year given the number of other premium non-conference games we have, combined with a young team.

One nit - the Meadowlands (aka Cameron north) is essentially dormant and out of commission. It has largely been replaced by the Prudential Center in Newark, where the Devils and Seton Hall play.

Mid-season non-conference games are scarcer these days because of the 18-game ACC schedule.

JasonEvans
05-31-2017, 04:47 PM
Holy moly. I went 16 for 16 on my guesses. I just didn't quite seed the teams correctly.

http://pkinvitational.com/brackets/

Sporks awarded... remarkable prognostication, my troublesome friend!

Olympic Fan
05-31-2017, 07:04 PM
First, Troublemaker is right -- I do mean Florida (and not Oregon) as a potential opponent in the PKI finals. Florida is a borderline top 10 preseason team.

Just to make it clear, Duke gets three games in Portland, win or lose. For instance, a loss in the semifinals and Duke gets the Florida-Gonzaga loser (assuming they both reach the semis) in a consolation game. BTW: I mentioned to one Duke official today that Duke will face a hostile crowd when they meet Portland State in Portland ... his answer: "There will be more Duke fans in the stands than Portland State fans." If Duke faces Gonzaga in the finals, that might be a different story.

Second, I found out together that Duke will NOT play a game in New York before Christmas. The February game with St. John's in the Garden will be our only regular season game in New York (plus, obviously, the ACC Tournament in Barclays).

Third, while Duke-Michigan would be a great matchup in the challenge, it's unlikely because Michigan is due to be on the road this coming year. That's not written in stone -- Duke just played two straight home games in the challenge, but the insiders I talk to today think Duke at Purdue or Duke at Minnesota are more likely. Both are likely to be ranked higher than Michigan in the preseason polls. For instance, the Sporting News poll (that was updated today), has Minnesota at No. 10 and Purdue at No. 23 -- Michigan unranked.

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/news/college-basketball-top-25-rankings-2017-2018-arizona-kentucky-duke-kansas-north-carolina-recruiting/9km64x4imz0z1icg9m122z6f4

The ESPN recent update also leaves Michigan out of its top 25 (also Purdue, but Minnesota is in the top 15).

Troublemaker, the Challenge is different that regularly scheduled games. Purdue does not OWE us a home game. It's not about individual matchups -- it's about your home-away balance in the entire series. Duke is due a road game this year ... and so is Michigan.

I'd be willing make an internet bet that it's Duke at Purdue or Duke at Minnesota.

Troublemaker
05-31-2017, 08:27 PM
Troublemaker, the Challenge is different that regularly scheduled games. Purdue does not OWE us a home game. It's not about individual matchups -- it's about your home-away balance in the entire series. Duke is due a road game this year ... and so is Michigan.

I'd be willing make an internet bet that it's Duke at Purdue or Duke at Minnesota.

Oh, I may be a degenerate, but I'm not crazy. Not touching that bet given your sources, Oly.

Duke at Purdue would be a great game. They'll be a senior laden team that's very good.

DangerDevil
05-31-2017, 09:31 PM

I think the Izod Center (Brendan Byrne Arena/ Meadowlands Arena) actually closed in early 2015, it might even be demolished. I am pretty sure that our game against UConn in December of 2014 was the last college basketball game and possibly the last sporting event played there. All of the regular tenants moved out like the Nets or down the road to the Prudential Center (Devils/Seton Hall) several years prior.

sagegrouse
05-31-2017, 10:36 PM
I think the Izod Center (Brendan Byrne Arena/ Meadowlands Arena) actually closed in early 2015, it might even be demolished. I am pretty sure that our game against UConn in December of 2014 was the last college basketball game and possibly the last sporting event played there. All of the regular tenants moved out like the Nets or down the road to the Prudential Center (Devils/Seton Hall) several years prior.

Any progress in the search for Jimmy Hoffa's body?

devildeac
05-31-2017, 10:53 PM
Any progress in the search for Jimmy Hoffa's body?

For your reading pleasure:

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/football/jimmy-hoffa-urban-legend-buried-article-1.165090

"The west end zone became the "Jimmy Hoffa Memorial End Zone." Teams didn't just beat the Giants or Jets, they "Jimmy Hoffa-ed" them. Authors and cable TV sleuths searched the site and found nothing."

CrazyNotCrazie
06-01-2017, 09:11 AM

The arena is still standing - I drive past it periodically. It is essentially dormant. Apparently it is used occasionally for rehearsals for acts performing at MetLife Stadium, but as you noted, there are no anchor tenants. The area is in limbo depending on if/when the American Dream project nearby moves forward. I have attended countless events there, but between the Prudential Center, MSG and the Barclays Center (plus the recently renovated and downsized Nassau Mausoleum, though that is a bit of a trek from NJ), the area has adequate similar venues that are much newer and nicer.

luburch
06-08-2017, 10:53 AM
Jeff Goodman reporting that Duke will play at Indiana for the ACC/B1G Challenge.

brevity
06-08-2017, 10:58 AM
Jeff Goodman reporting that Duke will play at Indiana for the ACC/B1G Challenge.

Tweet is here (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/872821566647619584). He's also teased Notre Dame at Michigan State (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/872821909896937472), Miami at Minnesota (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/872822904324476929), and Michigan at North Carolina (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/872823982143152128) (the Mike Corey Classic). All the ACC/B1G matchups should be announced later today.

tbyers11
06-08-2017, 11:01 AM

Meh. Indiana is going to be pretty bad this year. I think games at Purdue or Minnesota would have been better matchups for the team and the tournament resume

Troublemaker
06-08-2017, 11:02 AM

Yeah, that was always a sleeper choice.

Two blueblood programs, Archie Miller's debut (or close to it) against a name program, and it also "balances the books" in that IU had played at Cameron twice but we had only gone to Assembly Hall once during the Challenge.

tbyers11
06-08-2017, 11:08 AM
All the matchups are set per ACC twitter (https://twitter.com/accmbb/status/872831084265963521) for a larger pic

Natty_B
06-08-2017, 11:09 AM
Yeah, that was always a sleeper choice.

Two blueblood programs, Archie Miller's debut (or close to it) against a name program, and it also "balances the books" in that IU had played at Cameron twice but we had only gone to Assembly Hall once during the Challenge.

I believe the answer to who Duke was going to play was made pretty clear by another thread on this board - the one about ESPN and it's struggles. ESPN wants Duke playing a marquee team, regardless of where they are ranked in November - which the casual fan hardly notices, this meant Minnesota and Purdue were always kinda unlikely.

Olympic Fan
06-08-2017, 11:16 AM
The full schedule:

Duke at Indiana
Notre Dame at Michigan State
Northwestern at Georgia Tech
Penn State at NC State
Boston College at Nebraska
Michigan at UNC
Clemson at Ohio State
Louisville at Purdue
FSU at Rutgers
Maryland at Syracuse
Miami at Minnesota
Iowa at Virginia Tech
Illinois at Wake Forest

Some disappointing matchups -- FSU at Rutgers ... a lousy Iowa at a pretty good VPI ... Duke at a rebuilding Indiana.

The one thing the committee did do was follow the home/road splits from last year. Basically, the 2016 home teams will be on the road in 2017 ... and vice versa.

Disappointed that Duke didn't get a game against a ranked opponent. I know Duke officials (as recently as last week) were sure they were going to play Purdue or Minnesota. I can see Louisville at Purdue ... Miami at Minnesota? Tought game for Notre Dame (probably the fifth or sixth preseason ACC team) at Michigan State (the preseason favorite in the NIT).

Troublemaker
06-08-2017, 11:19 AM
Meh. Indiana is going to be pretty bad this year. I think games at Purdue or Minnesota would have been better matchups for the team and the tournament resume

I think under Archie, this IU team will still be at least a bubble team, and if I had to bet, probably an NCAA tourney team. Playing a team like that on the road could be very tough.

They'll still have DeRon Davis and Juwan Morgan inside, Robert Johnson on the wing, and Josh Newkirk, who is very quick and will test our penetration defense, at point.

tbyers11
06-08-2017, 11:38 AM
I think under Archie, this IU team will still be at least a bubble team, and if I had to bet, probably an NCAA tourney team. Playing a team like that on the road could be very tough.

They'll still have DeRon Davis and Juwan Morgan inside, Robert Johnson on the wing, and Josh Newkirk, who is very quick and will test our penetration defense, at point.

True. In my head I was comparing them to Purdue and Minnesota who will both likely be better. That is a good core and they won't be awful.

But they don't have much beyond that. No other returning upperclassmen who played significant minutes. Only one other sophomore, besides Davis, who was RSCI top 100 in Curtis Jones (#76). Only one RSCI top 100 incoming frosh, Justin Smith (#81).

If I had to bet I'd say they miss the tourney, but you are correct that they will still likely be a tough road game early in the season for a young Duke team

luburch
06-08-2017, 11:47 AM

Not to mention, Assembly Hall is a brutal place to play.

Indiana has some pieces, I expect Archie will get them to mesh better than Crean did last year.

SCMatt33
06-08-2017, 11:55 AM
I like Michigan at UNC. They probably scheduled that one so Michigan can share their knowledge on how to take banners down...

Olympic Fan
06-08-2017, 12:43 PM
With 14 Big Ten teams and 15 ACC teams, one ACC team always gets left out of the Challenge.

Boston College finished last in the ACC a year ago, but was included in next season's challenge.

Pitt is the school which was left out.

I THINK there is a rule that a team can't be left out twice in a row. With BC guaranteed a place, that would put Pitt and NC State tied at 4-14 ... I don't know if the fact that NC State beat Pitt in their only meeting (which gives the Pack a tiebreaker advantage). Or whether it was because ESPN thinks NC State will be better than Pitt next season.

Interesting stuff ...

flyingdutchdevil
06-08-2017, 12:46 PM
With 14 Big Ten teams and 15 ACC teams, one ACC team always gets left out of the Challenge.

Boston College finished last in the ACC a year ago, but was included in next season's challenge.

I THINK there is a rule that a team can't be left out twice in a row. With BC guaranteed a place, that would put Pitt and NC State tied at 4-14 ... I don't know if the fact that NC State beat Pitt in their only meeting (which gives the Pack a tiebreaker advantage). Or whether it was because ESPN thinks NC State will be better than Pitt next season.

Interesting stuff ...

We lost to a team that went 4-14 in the ACC? Sigh...

kAzE
06-08-2017, 02:15 PM
The full schedule:

Duke at Indiana
Notre Dame at Michigan State
Northwestern at Georgia Tech
Penn State at NC State
Boston College at Nebraska
Michigan at UNC
Clemson at Ohio State
Louisville at Purdue
FSU at Rutgers
Maryland at Syracuse
Miami at Minnesota
Iowa at Virginia Tech
Illinois at Wake Forest

You left out Wisconsin at UVA.

devildeac
06-08-2017, 02:47 PM

Interesting stuff ...

Maybe unc wanted the Pitt game transferred but Kevin Stallings wouldn't allow it...

:rolleyes:

devildeac
06-08-2017, 02:48 PM
Tweet is here (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/872821566647619584). He's also teased Notre Dame at Michigan State (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/872821909896937472), Miami at Minnesota (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/872822904324476929), and Michigan at North Carolina (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/872823982143152128) (the Mike Corey Classic). All the ACC/B1G matchups should be announced later today.

Mr. Corey not gonna like you very much...

:p

Tripping William
06-08-2017, 03:59 PM
Looks like UVU will visit Cameron (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865681597/UVU-basketball-to-play-Duke-the-day-after-facing-Kentucky-in-2017.html) on November 11th, a day after playing at Rupp Arena. Located in Provo, down the street from BYU, UVU is coached by former UK player, and former Bzdelik-era Wake Forest assistant coach, Mark Pope.

devildeac
06-08-2017, 04:00 PM
Looks like UVU will visit Cameron (http://www.deseretnews.com/article/865681597/UVU-basketball-to-play-Duke-the-day-after-facing-Kentucky-in-2017.html) on November 11th, a day after playing at Rupp Arena. Located in Provo, down the street from BYU, UVU is coached by former UK player, and former Bzdelik-era Wake Forest assistant coach, Mark Pope.

Just something amusing about seeing (a) Pope coaching in Utah. :o

English
06-08-2017, 04:04 PM

My first thought was "Oh great, this will ding our RPI" before I got un-lazy and looked them up from last season...they finished 180th RPI with a 17-17 record. They graduated 3 seniors, and have four rising redshirt seniors going into the season, along with two rising juniors, four rising sophs or redshirt sophs. Perhaps it'll only be a blip on our RPI, rather than an anchor.

Tripping William
06-08-2017, 04:38 PM
Just something amusing about seeing (a) Pope coaching in Utah. :o

A Mormon Pope at that. :p

JasonEvans
06-08-2017, 05:21 PM

What an aesthetic joy that will be to watch. First to 40 wins!

JasonEvans
06-08-2017, 05:23 PM
Obviously, we know about Duke playing Mich St this season in the Champions Classic early in the year. But, a friend commented on how often we play MSU and it led me to look it up.

We have played Michigan St 6 times in the past 7 seasons... how is that even possible?!?! That's almost as often as we play some guys in the ACC.

2009-10 12/1/2010 - Duke wins 84-79
2010-11 11/15/2011 - Duke wins 74-69
2011-12 no game
2012-13 3/29/13 - Duke wins 71-61 - NCAA Sweet 16
2014-15 11/18/14 - Duke wins 81-71
2014-15 4/4/15 - Duke wins 81-61 - NCAA Final Four
2015-16 no game
2016-17 11/29/16 - Duke wins 78-69

Duke has been the higher ranked team in every one of those games and never once has Duke been ranked any lower than #6 for the game.

They must freaking hate us. I bet they really expect some revenge this coming season when they figure to have one of their best teams in quite some time.

-Jason "They have not beaten us since 2005" Evans

BD80
06-08-2017, 06:00 PM

It could take a few overtime sessions to hit 40.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-08-2017, 06:28 PM
I like Michigan at UNC. They probably scheduled that one so Michigan can share their knowledge on how to take banners down...
Got you some Zporkz for this one! GTHc!

kmspeaks
06-08-2017, 08:02 PM

It could take a few overtime sessions to hit 40.

Someone in the Elam Ending thread suggested no clock, first to 70 wins. Can you imagine how long this game would take???

JasonEvans
06-08-2017, 09:26 PM
Someone in the Elam Ending thread suggested no clock, first to 70 wins. Can you imagine how long this game would take???

It might rival the Williams-Poole match.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpsMi3Q2fok

JetpackJesus
06-08-2017, 10:13 PM
It's certainly too early to really pick most of these matchups, but that didn't stop Matt Norlander over at CBS from ranking all the matchups and making picks (http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/ranking-picks-for-duke-vs-indiana-and-every-game-in-the-big-tenacc-challenge/).

Spoilers: He picks IU over Duke, which did not really seem to me to align with the analysis he wrote of the matchup.

Spanarkel
06-09-2017, 08:00 AM

Interesting story about Coach Pope and his completing 3 years of medical school at Columbia Univ.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5376071-155/first-jobs-uvus-mark-pope-forsakes

Tripping William
06-09-2017, 08:32 AM
Interesting story about Coach Pope and his completing 3 years of medical school at Columbia Univ.

http://www.sltrib.com/home/5376071-155/first-jobs-uvus-mark-pope-forsakes

And I had not realized, until seeing the story on DBR's front page this morning, that Chris Burgess is one of Pope's assistants.

CrazyNotCrazie
06-09-2017, 08:48 AM
And I had not realized, until seeing the story on DBR's front page this morning, that Chris Burgess is one of Pope's assistants.

Since it is a well-established rule on DBR that only big men can coach big men, with Pope and Burgess as coaches, I'm guessing they have some very talented big men!

duke2x
06-09-2017, 11:33 PM
Per the N&O, Duke will play Elon as the opener on 11/10.

http://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article155161859.html

I think we have 3 more mid-major games in Cameron left on the schedule. We normally would have 4, but I'm not sure the PK80 tournament will have an "opening" round. Gaps in the schedule include between MSU and PK80, between South Dakota (12/2) and exams, and between exams and the ACC opener in very late December.

OZZIE4DUKE
06-11-2017, 09:33 PM
I will be very disappointed if we don't play a game in NYC in December. Ive
planned close to 20 fraternity reunions around that game.

subzero02
06-12-2017, 12:05 AM

I think we have 3 more mid-major games in Cameron left on the schedule. We normally would have 4, but I'm not sure the PK80 tournament will have an "opening" round. Gaps in the schedule include between MSU and PK80, between South Dakota (12/2) and exams, and between exams and the ACC opener in very late December.

It looks like Chris Burgess will make a return to Cameron as an assistant coach for Utah valley on Nov. 11th. (UV plays at Kentucky the night before).

English
06-12-2017, 09:45 AM

So this means Duke plays Elon on Fri, 11/10 and Utah Valley on Sat, 11/11? Back-to-back games seems like an interesting choice for early Nov. As a fan, I'm already excited for that weekend, and likely a friendsgiving to top it off.

pfrduke
06-12-2017, 11:21 AM
So this means Duke plays Elon on Fri, 11/10 and Utah Valley on Sat, 11/11? Back-to-back games seems like an interesting choice for early Nov. As a fan, I'm already excited for that weekend, and likely a friendsgiving to top it off.

It also means, barring disaster (knocking on several kinds of wood as we speak), that Coach K's 1000th win at Duke will come over a program that wasn't a D-1 school (or even a 4-year school) when Coach K got his 500th.

Truth&Justise
06-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Seems only fair, since UVU is also playing a back-to-back. How sporting of us.

Ichabod Drain
06-12-2017, 12:18 PM

I believe we did the same last year. I think coach wants to get two games in for practice and sorting out lineups before we play Michigan State that Tuesday.

duke2x
06-12-2017, 01:56 PM
We've done this quick start for several years now because of our preseason tournaments. Coach K really likes to play games in November and take much of December off. It explains why some of us may have to choose a trip to Army for football over Cameron this year, why UNC football was on Thursday last year, why any home football game that weekend must be at noon, etc.

My only concern is the possible long layover that could come between reading period and the first ACC game.

MCFinARL
06-12-2017, 02:17 PM
We've done this quick start for several years now because of our preseason tournaments. Coach K really likes to play games in November and take much of December off. It explains why some of us may have to choose a trip to Army for football over Cameron this year, why UNC football was on Thursday last year, why any home football game that weekend must be at noon, etc.

My only concern is the possible long layover that could come between reading period and the first ACC game.

Yes, and in the last three years there have been back to back games scheduled in addition to the early round preseason tournament games: last year, Marist and Grand Canyon on Nov. 11-12, plus tournament games with Penn State and Rhode Island on Nov. 19-20--and with Kansas in between. Now THAT's a quick start.

In 2015-16, there was only one straight-up back to back, Siena and Bryant on Nov. 13-14, but that was followed by Kentucky on Nov. 17 and tournament games against VCU and Georgetown on Nov. 20 and 22.

In 2014-15, two tournament back-to-back weekends, against Presbyterian and Fairfield at home on Nov. 14-15 and Temple and Stanford on Nov. 20-21--again with the Champions Class game, against Michigan State, in the middle.

It will be interesting to see how much the summer trip will offset the greenness of this roster in this demanding early season stretch.

Olympic Fan
06-13-2017, 12:24 PM
Duke has confirmed plans for the trip to the Dominican Republic in late August.

The team will leave Durham Aug. 17. They will play two public games against the DR National Team (which is ranked 19th in the world). One will be Aug. 20 in Santiago ... the other will be Aug. 23 in Sant Domingo. There may be some closed scrimmages, but right now, just two games on the schedule.

The team will return to Durham on August 24.

No mention yet of when the pre-trip practice sessions will take place. Duke will be allowed up to 10 practices to prepare for the trip, although Coach K said two weeks ago that they may not use them all.

MartyClark
06-13-2017, 06:17 PM
Duke has confirmed plans for the trip to the Dominican Republic in late August.

The team will leave Durham Aug. 17. They will play two public games against the DR National Team (which is ranked 19th in the world). One will be Aug. 20 in Santiago ... the other will be Aug. 23 in Sant Domingo. There may be some closed scrimmages, but right now, just two games on the schedule.

The team will return to Durham on August 24.

No mention yet of when the pre-trip practice sessions will take place. Duke will be allowed up to 10 practices to prepare for the trip, although Coach K said two weeks ago that they may not use them all.

Thanks Olympic Fan-

Please let us know as you get additional information concerning times and tickets.

This coincides with my 40th wedding anniversary. My long suffering wife is tolerating my efforts to portray the Dominican Republic as the most romantic anniversary site available.

We/I/ may go and are interested in any additional details.

duke2x
06-17-2017, 07:59 AM
The article linked on DBR earlier in the week shows Evansville on 12/20.

2 ACC games have to be played before the start of ACC season. If it's Duke's turn to have 2 byes, I would guess the ACC opener will be one of the teams that isn't taking exams from December 4-10 and represents low TV ratings. That would also take care of the super-long December break. You can play as late as 12/31/18 to get the rust off for the real ACC opener if you have the first bye.

Olympic Fan
06-17-2017, 02:35 PM
As I count it, we still have three non-conference games we don't know about.

Elon, Utah Valley, Michigan State, three games in the Phi Knight Tournament, Indiana, South Dakota State, Evansville -- all before Christmas -- and at St. John's on Feb.3.

That's 10 non-ACC games ... we almost always play 13 (with the 18 ACC games, that's 31).

So three more opponents to find ... I'm guessing that at least one comes between Michigan State (Nov. 14) and the start of the Knight Tournament (Nov. 23)

msdukie
06-18-2017, 12:10 AM

Elon, Utah Valley, Michigan State, three games in the Phi Knight Tournament, Indiana, South Dakota State, Evansville -- all before Christmas -- and at St. John's on Feb.3.

That's 10 non-ACC games ... we almost always play 13 (with the 18 ACC games, that's 31).

So three more opponents to find ... I'm guessing that at least one comes between Michigan State (Nov. 14) and the start of the Knight Tournament (Nov. 23)

Duke is only playing 30 games this year (12 non conference) because the PK80 is only 3 games whereas every other tournament these days has 4 guarantee games which are all exempt. So, 2 unknown games remain.

Spanarkel
06-18-2017, 06:32 AM

South Dakota

Olympic Fan
07-10-2017, 02:00 PM
Duke just released its 2017-18 non-conference schedule:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726

pfrduke
07-10-2017, 02:14 PM
Duke just released its 2017-18 non-conference schedule:

http://www.goduke.com/SportSelect.dbml?&DB_OEM_ID=4200&SPID=1845&SPSID=22726

Elon
Utah Valley
Southern
Furman
South Dakota
St. Francis (PA)
Evansville

What a dispiriting slate of non-conference games in Cameron. Plenty of challenge on the schedule away from home, but that is a recipe for complaints about attendance and crowd involvement during the first two months of the season.

Olympic Fan
07-10-2017, 02:43 PM
Just a few observations:

-- We do play 13 non-conference games as usual, which means 31 regular season games in all. Of the non-conference games, we play seven at home, two on the road (Indiana and St. John's) and four on neutral courts. At least I think the Portland State game counts as neutral -- their court is also in the city, but it's not being used in the PK3 tournament.

-- I always check for football/basketball conflicts in November. This time, we have one conflict -- and it's not bad. On Saturday, Nov. 11, our football team plays at Army in the early afternoon ... our basketball team plays Utah Valley in Cameron in what I'm sure will be a night game.

We do have five Friday/Saturday situations: The Oct. 20 Countdown to Craziness is the night before the home football game with Pitt; the Oct. 27 exhibition against NW Missouri State is before the Saturday football game at Virginia Tech; the Nov. 10 -- basketball opener vs. Elon is the night before the football game at Army; the Nov. 17 home game with Southern is the night before the football team meets Georgia Tech at home; The semifinals of the PK3 Tournament in Portland is the night before Duke finishes the football season at Wake Forest.

-- The schedule includes three first-time opponents. Duke has never before played Utah Valley, South Dakota or St. Francis (Pa.)

flyingdutchdevil
07-10-2017, 02:46 PM
Elon
Utah Valley
Southern
Furman
South Dakota
St. Francis (PA)
Evansville

What a dispiriting slate of non-conference games in Cameron. Plenty of challenge on the schedule away from home, but that is a recipe for complaints about attendance and crowd involvement during the first two months of the season.

That is a mediocre - at best - line-up. Wow. Guess Coach K really wants to give his team plenty of time to gel before facing harder opponents in Cameron.

TKG
07-10-2017, 03:04 PM
Elon
Utah Valley
Southern
Furman
South Dakota
St. Francis (PA)
Evansville

Potential opportunity to play a lot of guys/combinations before the conference schedule begins?

Olympic Fan
07-10-2017, 03:06 PM
That is a mediocre - at best - line-up. Wow. Guess Coach K really wants to give his team plenty of time to gel before facing harder opponents in Cameron.

While I agree that the seven Cameron opponents are lackluster, it's not surprising or unusual.

A year ago, Duke played Marist, Grand Canyon, William & Mary, App State, Maine and Tennessee State at home ... the Devils did get Michigan State in Cameron, but only because ESPN assigned that gam as part of the challenge.

In fact, it's hard to remember when Duke played a quality non-conference team in Cameron that wasn't dictated by the challenge. The 2015 national champs played Presbyterian, Fairfield, Furman, Army, Elon, Toledo and Wofford at home -- pretty similar lineup to this year's home non-conference slate.

I could have missed it, but I'm pretty sure that the last ranked non-conference team to visit Cameron -- other than in the Big Ten challenge -- was No. 18 Georgetown in December of 2006.

All teams need their share of patsies. It's a chance to play the bench and look at youngsters in a game setting. For all the posters on this Board who complain about K not playing his bench, we understand that he's not going to risk a November or December win to give his scrubs game experience. But in a game with Elon or South Dakota -- games that should be a lopsided win -- he gets to look at possible help off the bench.

I'm not sure timing is important. Duke plays Michigan State in Chicago on Nov. 14, then faces at last two tough opponents in Portland before the end of the month, then returns to travel to Indiana three days later.

The home non-conference patsies might be necessary to restore the confidence of a young team that might struggle away form home early.

Nugget
07-10-2017, 04:52 PM
I've seen stories indicating there will be 2 ACC conference games in December. It looks to me like one of them will be quite early (like on Sat., Dec. 9), as otherwise the gap between non-conf. games from St. Francis on Dec. 5 to Evansville on Dec. 20 is much longer than necessary just to account for the break during exams.

kAzE
07-10-2017, 04:57 PM

Is anyone really surprised, though? I feel like I've said this about 500 times, but this will be the youngest, most inexperienced team Coach K has ever coached, and I think this non-conference schedule reflects that. We're going to need more tune-up games than we've ever needed in the past. Thank goodness we have the Dominican Republic trip to get a bit of a head start. Just need to hope for no injuries.

DU82
07-10-2017, 05:25 PM
I could have missed it, but I'm pretty sure that the last ranked non-conference team to visit Cameron -- other than in the Big Ten challenge -- was No. 18 Georgetown in December of 2006.

When you don't play on higher rated opponents' home courts, they won't play on yours. The only options are those that play in NBA arenas, such as Georgetown and St. Johns.

Troublemaker
07-10-2017, 05:59 PM
That Indiana game could be tricky since it'll be played right after the PK80 tournament and travel to the West Coast with only 2 days rest, and Assembly Hall is going to be nuts in Archie Miller's first marquee game. 4th game in 7 days, too.

But it'll be fun at the same time.

DukieTiger
07-10-2017, 08:22 PM
I've seen stories indicating there will be 2 ACC conference games in December. It looks to me like one of them will be quite early (like on Sat., Dec. 9), as otherwise the gap between non-conf. games from St. Francis on Dec. 5 to Evansville on Dec. 20 is much longer than necessary just to account for the break during exams.

This is also why I'm kinda ok with the home non-conference slate. You'll likely get a home ACC game in the midst of all the patsies.

I'm more disappointed that they didn't grab a Christmas time game in NYC.

duke2x
07-10-2017, 09:19 PM
Thanks for the link. It's tough to figure out who that 1st ACC game will be due to different exam schedules. Some schools will play games during exams while others will not. Most schools haven't announced their non-conference schedules yet. We know the following for sure:

NO: Pitt, ND already have scheduling conflicts.
MAYBE: @ Miami. They don't have a game that weekend and have announced the non-conference already. That feels like a Nielsen/Feb. game given Duke's likely road schedule, but UVA @ Louisville did start the ACC season last year.

We don't have a tune-up game before the 2nd ACC game. I hope it is either an easy win or tougher road game.

duke2x
07-14-2017, 11:08 PM
Add Syracuse and Wake (99% sure) to my NO list above.

Troublemaker
07-16-2017, 04:21 PM
Teams are allowed to take a foreign tour once every 4 years. Michigan St already took one to Italy in 2015 (http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/08/michigan_state_closes_italy_to.html), which means they can't take one this summer. Advantage Duke? For me, the DR trip is about beating MSU and the rest of our non-conference opponents. I think there are probably diminishing returns once you reach conference season, but a foreign tour can make you a more formidable team in November and December.

Indiana took a trip to Canada in 2014 (http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/08/07/video-tom-crean-previews-ius-montreal-tour/), so no trip for them this summer.

Butler will be taking a trip to Spain this summer (https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/867812234499682304), so watch out for them in the PK80. Shaka meanwhile is taking Texas to Australia this summer (http://hookemheadlines.com/2017/02/13/texas-basketball-australia/). So, our second opponent in the PK80 (provided we advance past Portland St) will be foreign-tour-enhanced as well.

When I get a chance, I'll go through the other possible PK80 opponents.

sagegrouse
07-16-2017, 07:30 PM
Teams are allowed to take a foreign tour once every 4 years. Michigan St already took one to Italy in 2015 (http://www.mlive.com/spartans/index.ssf/2015/08/michigan_state_closes_italy_to.html), which means they can't take one this summer. Advantage Duke? For me, the DR trip is about beating MSU and the rest of our non-conference opponents. I think there are probably diminishing returns once you reach conference season, but a foreign tour can make you a more formidable team in November and December.
I'd go further. Troublemaker. Part of our problem last year was that we were a heavily freshman team, and we were not able to practice our top nine players together until -- when?? -- mid-January? And we paid the price the entire year -- achieving our potential only in the ACC tournament.

Early practice is as good or better than practice in October with a freshman-laden team, and is insurance against loss of practice time due to early season injuries. I wish we could do it every year, but this year will certainly be a benefit for the team, and I think it will bear benefits throughout the season.

jimsumner
07-20-2017, 05:02 PM
Some updates from the ACC.

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-releases-conference-basketball-matchups-for-the-2017-18-season-07-20-2017

kAzE
07-20-2017, 05:45 PM
Some updates from the ACC.

http://www.theacc.com/news/acc-releases-conference-basketball-matchups-for-the-2017-18-season-07-20-2017

Wow. That is an extremely favorable schedule for us.

Home only: FSU, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, UVA

Road only: Miami, GTech, Clemson, BC, and NC State

There will probably be a land mine in at least one of those road games, but that home only schedule is mind blowing. It's like if you asked me "hey kAzE, which non-rival ACC teams are you most wary of playing on the road next season?"

"Why, FSU, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, and Virginia, of course."

flyingdutchdevil
07-20-2017, 05:48 PM
Wow. That is an extremely favorable schedule for us.

Home only: FSU, Notre Dame, Louisville, Syracuse, UVA

Road only: Miami, GTech, Clemson, BC, and NC State

There will probably be a land mine in at least one of those road games, but to not get any of UL, Cuse, ND, FSU, and UVA on the road is crazy. It's like if you asked me "hey kAzE, which ACC teams are you most wary of playing on the road next season?"

Agreed. Although Miami is pretty damn good. I expect that to be a loss.

Outside of that, it's pretty amazing. BC on the road? NC State? Clemson? Wow!

No "scheduling was a factor" excuse if Duke doesn't win the regular season.

Olympic Fan
07-20-2017, 07:19 PM
I don't mean to be snippy, but this is not new news. Duke's ACC schedule was included in the very first post in this thread -- months ago.

ACC scheduling (home only, road only and home and away) for 2017-18 was first released on Feb. 12, 2016.

As we've said before, this is an extremely favorable schedule for Duke, especially a year after Duke played almost the toughest ACC schedule possible (we played nine of the top 10 teams on the road ... the one exception was Duke couldn't play itself; We played three of the top nine teams at home).

We won't know until the season plays out but it looks like we play:

(1) two top teams home-and-home (UNC and Va Tech), plus one mid-level team (Wake) and the worst team in the league (Pitt)

(2) two top teams home only (Louisville and Notre Dame); two mid-level teams home only (Virginia and FSU) and one lower level team (Syracuse)

(3) one top level team road only (Miami), four lower echelon teams road only (Clemson, Georgia Tech, NC State and BC)

A year ago, we played seven road games against NCAA teams ... just a guess, but I'm thinking hat this year we play just three such road games (at UNC, at VPI and at Miami)

JohnJ
07-21-2017, 07:54 AM
You did provide Duke's home/away schedule but the link from Jim provides the entire ACC. I had not seen this before.

Olympic Fan
07-21-2017, 11:13 AM
You did provide Duke's home/away schedule but the link from Jim provides the entire ACC. I had not seen this before.

Yes ... I included just Duke's home/away schedule, but the entire ACC was released Feb. 12, 2016

WiJoe
07-21-2017, 09:39 PM
Yes ... I included just Duke's home/away schedule, but the entire ACC was released Feb. 12, 2016

I'm with you, Olympic Fan. Told my son this morning that this looked familiar.

:cool:

duke2x
07-25-2017, 07:02 PM
Thanks for the link. It's tough to figure out who that 1st ACC game will be due to different exam schedules. Some schools will play games during exams while others will not. Most schools haven't announced their non-conference schedules yet. We know the following for sure:

NO: Pitt, ND, VT, Syracuse, and Wake (99% sure for WFU).
MAYBE: Miami, GT.

Updated with GT and VT for Game #1. TBD: BC, Clemson, FSU, UL, UNC, NCSU, UVA.

BigWayne
07-26-2017, 08:16 PM
With this bouncing back to the top. I went and looked at what it would take to try to attend the games in Portland as I am on the west coast. It is seriously a made for TV event.

They have two stadiums next to each other, the current and former homes of the Trailblazers. Duke's bracket plays in the old stadium on Thursday at the same time the cheater's bracket plays in the new stadium. They trade places for Friday. Saturday they don't play at all, apparently so everyone can watch the Ducks and Beavers play football. Then Sunday the top halves of the brackets play in the new stadium and the bottom halves play in the old stadium.

You can buy a ticket pass to all the 12 sessions, but since they run in parallel, you can only go to half of them. You can also buy a pass to just the games in the new stadium, which would mean you miss Duke's first round game and have to watch the cheats.

Presumably, if you are a Duke insider, DUAA will help you navigate it. If you are a remote Duke fan, it might be best to just wait and see what you can get on the last minute ticket apps.

ChillinDuke
07-26-2017, 08:35 PM
With this bouncing back to the top. I went and looked at what it would take to try to attend the games in Portland as I am on the west coast. It is seriously a made for TV event.

They have two stadiums next to each other, the current and former homes of the Trailblazers. Duke's bracket plays in the old stadium on Thursday at the same time the cheater's bracket plays in the new stadium. They trade places for Friday. Saturday they don't play at all, apparently so everyone can watch the Ducks and Beavers play football. Then Sunday the top halves of the brackets play in the new stadium and the bottom halves play in the old stadium.

You can buy a ticket pass to all the 12 sessions, but since they run in parallel, you can only go to half of them. You can also buy a pass to just the games in the new stadium, which would mean you miss Duke's first round game and have to watch the cheats.

Presumably, if you are a Duke insider, DUAA will help you navigate it. If you are a remote Duke fan, it might be best to just wait and see what you can get on the last minute ticket apps.

Wow, I had no idea that that was the logistical format. I love it.

- Chillin

BigWayne
07-26-2017, 09:13 PM
Wow, I had no idea that that was the logistical format. I love it.

- Chillin

Great if you are 2000 miles away watching it on your DVR or you just want to hang around in the atmosphere. Crazy if you are trying to go to the games in person.

Thu/Fri games are likely to have a lot of empty seats.

Ultrarunner
07-26-2017, 09:31 PM

I picked up a pair tickets when the PKI first hit Duke's schedule since I'm based out this way. Did the one venue only option, but middle daughter is breaking out her Duke shirt and is excited to cheer against the cheats.

Indoor66
07-27-2017, 07:14 AM
I picked up a pair tickets when the PKI first hit Duke's schedule since I'm based out this way. Did the one venue only option, but middle daughter is breaking out her Duke shirt and is excited to cheer against the cheats.

They might not even be playing basketball by then - I hope! :mad::cool:

duke2x
07-27-2017, 08:49 PM
I think the choice of venue is obvious: Day #2. Duke plays Portland St on Thanksgiving. Holiday should trump the locality of the opponent as far as ticket demand goes.

unclsam1
07-28-2017, 12:31 PM
Are the times set yet for Duke's first two games?

BigWayne
07-28-2017, 05:55 PM
Are the times set yet for Duke's first two games?

Nope. Depends on what ESPN wants to do that day. They only have one football game scheduled that day.

-jk
08-01-2017, 10:14 PM
Looks like the Hoyas are chickening out (https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/sports/wp/2017/08/01/georgetown-mens-basketball-will-not-participate-in-pk80-phil-knight-invitational/) of the PK80...

-jk

duke2x
08-01-2017, 11:08 PM
I just have this feeling that the schedule will be announced Thursday, August 16 or Friday, August 17. ;)

Updating Game 1 if it is 12/9-12/10 as Duke announced:
NO: Pitt, ND, VT, Syracuse, Louisville
99% NO: Wake (Friday game = Sunday only), UVA (exams), UNC (February-March is tradition)
MAYBE: @Miami, @GT
TBD: @BC, @Clemson, @NCSU, FSU

duke2x
08-30-2017, 07:16 PM
I just have this feeling that the schedule will be announced Thursday, August 16 or Friday, August 17. ;)

Updating Game 1 if it is 12/9-12/10 as Duke announced:
NO: Pitt, ND, VT, Syracuse, Louisville, @Clemson, @NCSU
99% NO: Wake (Friday game = Sunday only), UVA (exams), UNC (February-March is tradition)
MAYBE: @Miami, @GT
TBD: @BC, FSU

Updated. That 12/9 date Duke announced already is looking doubtful.

Yes, I was wrong about UNC wanting to deflect attention from the NCAA. It's not going to happen this week because it would overshadow football. Maybe next week.

Olympic Fan
08-31-2017, 03:05 PM
Updated. That 12/9 date Duke announced already is looking doubtful.

Yes, I was wrong about UNC wanting to deflect attention from the NCAA. It's not going to happen this week because it would overshadow football. Maybe next week.

I can tell you 100 percent that the delay in the announcement of the schedule is solely because of ESPN's delay in making up its mind about 2-3 games.

It has nothing to do with overshadowing football or deflecting attention from football.

The conference office has the schedule 99 percent complete, but there are always a couple of games that ESPN can't make up its mind about. A year ago, the schedule was released with one game not settled. That could happen again.

jimsumner
08-31-2017, 03:14 PM
Recall the musical Damn Yankees.

Whatever Lola wants, Lola Gets.

Substitute ESPN for Lola.

Mrezt
08-31-2017, 03:16 PM
Recall the musical Damn Yankees.

Whatever Lola wants, Lola Gets.

Substitute ESPN for Lola.

Except for Sportscenter viewers

Olympic Fan
08-31-2017, 04:25 PM
Except for Sportscenter viewers

Agreed ... watching Sportscenter now (which I do rarely) reminds me of Howard Cosell's short-lived variety show.

Is anybody else old enough to remember that turkey? Forty years from now, we'll look back on Jemele and Michael with the same distaste.

English
08-31-2017, 04:57 PM
Agreed ... watching Sportscenter now (which I do rarely) reminds me of Howard Cosell's short-lived variety show.

Is anybody else old enough to remember that turkey? Forty years from now, we'll look back on Jemele and Michael with the same distaste.

Do we have to wait that long? I'm ready right meow.

NSDukeFan
08-31-2017, 06:54 PM

That seems a little catty. 😀

devildeac
08-31-2017, 07:00 PM
That seems a little catty. 😀

Purr-fect response.

DU82
08-31-2017, 07:49 PM

"Saturday Night Live with Howard Cosell" appeared before that other show, which had to air as "NBC's Saturday Night". (Note the opening punch line is "Live from New York, it's Saturday Night!")

And yes, saw both live from the start. If you want more Cosell, watch Battle of the Network Stars on ESPN Classic.

Cosell would have been embarrassed to be compared to the current SportsCenter performers. With reason.

Utley
09-05-2017, 03:58 PM
I just saw that West Virginia released their scheduled today. Should we be expecting something imminently?

WiJoe
09-06-2017, 11:09 PM
https://twitter.com/JonRothstein?ref_src=twsrc%5Eappleosx%7Ctwcamp%5Es afari%7Ctwgr%5Eprofile

Jon Rothstein‏Verified account @JonRothstein Sep 5
The ACC is expected to release its conference schedule for the 2017-18 season on Thursday, per a source.

:cool:

chrishoke
09-07-2017, 03:14 PM
Here it is.

http://media2.newsobserver.com/content/media/2017/9/7/accsked.pdf

UrinalCake
09-07-2017, 03:20 PM
Thanks for the link - I haven't had a chance to digest it fully, but did see that our opening game is at BC in early December. Nice to start off against a weaker opponent, but it's unfortunate that it's on the road. We then play FSU on December 30, our first conference home game and the students won't even be there :(

Tripping William
09-07-2017, 03:34 PM
The schedule has been posted on the GoDuke.com website as well. Please note, though, that the "link" version does not list the January 6th game at NC State. The PDF version, though, does have that game listed. So:

Home and Home: Wake, Pitt, VaTech, uNC

Road Only: BC, Miami, GaTech, Clemson, State

Home Only: FSU, UVa, ND, Ville, Cuse

And we play Pitt twice within a 10-day span (Jan. 10th & 20th) and Wake twice within a 10-day span (Jan. 13th & 23rd).

Reilly
09-07-2017, 03:38 PM

That seems a little catty. ��

Purr-fect response.

I'm indifferent to it.

accfanfrom1970
09-07-2017, 03:38 PM
I only see two 9pm conference games, I like that...

CrazyNotCrazie
09-07-2017, 04:10 PM
I see the age old dilemma of the Valentine's Day game. And it is at home this year, making it even more fun for those who go to games in Cameron. I have educated my wife in the fact that it is better to do something nicer a day before or after Valentine's Day than pay extra to endorse a Hallmark holiday, but for many others, it might not be that easy.

cato
09-07-2017, 04:29 PM
50% of the home and home schedule is Pitt and VaTech? Blech.

devildeac
09-07-2017, 04:37 PM
50% of the home and home schedule is Pitt and VaTech? Blech.

Make-up call for last year;). I'm happy for the cheats to have a (hopefully brutal, >10 loss) unbalanced schedule this season like we had last year.

hallcity
09-07-2017, 04:56 PM
Duke isn't involved but it's still interesting that Ga. Tech is playing UCLA on 11/10 in Shanghai.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-07-2017, 06:21 PM
Home Only: FSU, UVa, ND, Ville, Cuse

If that isn't favorable, I sure don't know what is.

Neals384
09-07-2017, 06:42 PM
I see the age old dilemma of the Valentine's Day game. And it is at home this year, making it even more fun for those who go to games in Cameron. I have educated my wife in the fact that it is better to do something nicer a day before or after Valentine's Day than pay extra to endorse a Hallmark holiday, but for many others, it might not be that easy.

Not sure I've ever used those words in that order and lived to tell it. Will be rcording that game for playback later.

JasonEvans
09-07-2017, 06:48 PM
I don't want to see all GGLC here, but I am having a really hard time figuring out how -- even in a worse case scenario -- Duke loses more than maybe 3 games in the ACC. This is about as favorable a schedule as we could ask for. I mean, Miami and UNC are the only really tough road games (maybe Va Tech) and we get all the other good teams at home.

-Jason "I know, we could get bit hard by the injury bug and we certainly don't have much depth, but barring some truly wretched luck, it is going to take some work to not win 13 games in the ACC with this schedule" Evans

CDu
09-07-2017, 09:01 PM
I don't want to see all GGLC here, but I am having a really hard time figuring out how -- even in a worse case scenario -- Duke loses more than maybe 3 games in the ACC. This is about as favorable a schedule as we could ask for. I mean, Miami and UNC are the only really tough road games (maybe Va Tech) and we get all the other good teams at home.

-Jason "I know, we could get bit hard by the injury bug and we certainly don't have much depth, but barring some truly wretched luck, it is going to take some work to not win 13 games in the ACC with this schedule" Evans

13 wins would mean 5 losses... ;)

Indoor66
09-08-2017, 07:01 AM
13 wins would mean 5 losses... ;)

Never. Use unCheat logic: 5 games where we beat ourselves.:cool:

weezie
09-08-2017, 08:00 AM
Hold on a sec, did anyone notice the Vivid Seats advertisement at the bottom of the schedule? Official reselling partner, Events@Duke?
What's that all about?

Troublemaker
09-08-2017, 08:57 AM
One thing to keep in mind is that Duke didn't get lucky with this schedule or anything like that. We were owed this schedule. Remember, the ACC announced ahead of time in Feb 2016 the ACC matchups for the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons (http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/2016/02/dukes-acc-basketball-opponents-announced-for-2016-17-2017-18); what was revealed recently was merely the exact dates of the matchups for 2017-18.

The 16-17 schedule and the 17-18 schedule are NOT independent of each other; they are a couple, two schedules with a relationship to one another. For example, we knew that several of the "road only" opponents from 16-17 would become "home only" opponents in 17-18 and vice versa; it's only fair that way. Specifically, we played Lville, Syracuse, ND, and UVA on the road only last season, and this upcoming season we will play them at home only.

The fact that last season's schedule was so tough meant that this season's schedule would be easy. (The only way to avoid that would be a MAJOR shakeup in who the top teams in the conference were between seasons). We didn't get lucky. We were owed this schedule after last season.

Tripping William
09-08-2017, 09:57 AM
I'm guessing this thread is as good a place as any to ask (on behalf of a colleague; no, really): Does anyone happen to know the date/time of the open practice this year? Last year it was Oct. 1st.

indy1duke
09-08-2017, 11:10 AM
The schedule is finally out and as I peruse it I am circling these games as competitive. Some may even be difficult but I expect we will be favored in every game this season:
1. Michigan State 11/14 neutral site;
2. one of the last two PK80 games around Thanksgiving;
3. at Indiana 11/29;
4. no losses in December, but the Fl St game after a long Christmas layoff could be ugly;
5. Duke at NC State 1/6. Duke will be favored but it will be only their second game in 2.5 weeks.
6. Duke at Miami 1/15;
7. Duke at cheats 2/8;
8. Louisville at Duke 2/21;
9. Duke at Va Tech 2/28;

Notice I am not listing the home games with the cheaters, UVa or Syracuse to be very competitive since they are late in the season and we are going to be very good. Of course my prediction assumes everyone is reasonably healthy and eligible. As for total losses I don't see more than four.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
09-08-2017, 11:18 AM
The schedule is finally out and as I peruse it I am circling these games as competitive. Some may even be difficult but I expect we will be favored in every game this season:
3. at Indiana 11/29;
4. no losses in December, but the Fl St game after a long Christmas layoff could be ugly;
5. Duke at NC State 1/6. Duke will be favored but it will be only their second game in 2.5 weeks.
6. Duke at Miami 1/15;
7. Duke at cheats 2/8;
9. Duke at Va Tech 2/28;

Notice I am not listing the home games with the cheaters, UVa or Syracuse to be very competitive since they are late in the season and we are going to be very good. Of course my prediction assumes everyone is reasonably healthy and eligible. As for total losses I don't see more than four.

Likely our most dangerous game on the schedule. For whatever reason, that team brings out the worst in us, it seems.

Indoor66
09-08-2017, 11:34 AM
Likely our most dangerous game on the schedule. For whatever reason, that team brings out the worst in us, it seems.

#6 on the list - at Miami is also one at a location that has been, since Larranaga, a tough place for us.

UrinalCake
09-08-2017, 11:35 AM
Agree that those games around the exam and holiday breaks are always dangerous. It's not uncommon for us to face some middling opponent and struggle with them for a half as our players shake off the rust and deal with all of the changes in schedule/routine. Last season I was scared to death of that road game at VT to open our conference season, and my fears proved to be valid. This year we get FSU at home on 12/30, which will be after a long layoff so we'll have to be prepared mentally.

But yeah, overall our schedule looks about as "easy" as you could hope for. We only have one stretch of back-to-back road games, and it's actually three games: St. John's on 2/3, the CHeats on 2/8 (nice to have five days to prepare), and then GT on 2/11 (possible letdown game). Other than that I don't really see any potential "schedule losses." Maybe at VT on 2/26 as that precedes our home game with the CHeats and could be a trap game, but by then we're at the end of the conference season and hopefully won't be as susceptible.

arnie
09-08-2017, 01:12 PM
3. at Indiana 11/29;
6. Duke at Miami 1/15;
7. Duke at cheats 2/8;
9. Duke at Va Tech 2/28;

I'll be the devil's advocate - with no significant experience other than Grayson; blending the new talented freshmen with the existing players will be very difficult. Except for more rim protection IF K decides to play large, the defense will suffer compared to even last year's team. I don't see us favored in each game as the season progresses and don't see us only losing a few games (see other threads).

IMHO, this Duke team should be pre-ranked behind other more experienced teams (Arizona, Mich. State and others). Hopefully, we'll we better than I think at the end of the season, but can't see predicting a National Championship or Final Four appearance.

Troublemaker
09-08-2017, 01:55 PM
I'll be the devil's advocate - with no significant experience other than Grayson; blending the new talented freshmen with the existing players will be very difficult. Except for more rim protection IF K decides to play large, the defense will suffer compared to even last year's team. I don't see us favored in each game as the season progresses and don't see us only losing a few games (see other threads).

I guess we'll see. It looks like you've fully bought into the "freshmen can't play defense" narrative. I'm hoping this season will prove that narrative to be false. That what really matters is the availability of athleticism, length, and size (through proper recruiting and then good health).

A couple other things:
* There won't be a need to blend new players with established players. Because it's basically just Grayson representing the latter. Everyone else in most projected rotations will either be a freshman or a sophomore that barely played as a freshman. I don't know whether that's a good thing, of course. But there's not going to be a major hurdle blending newbies and oldies because there are no oldies except one guy.
* Duke will be favored in almost every game this season. Whether we actually win the games or not is another matter. But, yeah, we're going to be favored a lot and very possibly in every game. The only opponent that stands out right now as one we might be a slight underdog to is the @Miami game in Coral Gables.

budwom
09-08-2017, 02:02 PM
^yeah, I kind of think (hope) we can play better defense that we did last year, because I expect we can apply better on the ball pressure with Duval. The defense of our guards last year was simply unacceptable.
And there is the potential for better rim protection....
Perhaps defense will become a source of team pride?

Troublemaker
09-08-2017, 02:36 PM
^yeah, I kind of think (hope) we can play better defense that we did last year, because I expect we can apply better on the ball pressure with Duval. The defense of our guards last year was simply unacceptable.
And there is the potential for better rim protection...
Perhaps defense will become a source of team pride?

Yeah, last season's team was a veteran one for this day and age of college basketball. A grad student at center, a senior and sophomore on the wings, and a junior at point guard. This season's team won't have near the experience of last season's team, but we will have better size, length, and athleticism on the interior (Bagley and Carter are giant pogo sticks) and better length and athleticism on the perimeter as well, with Duval -- as you mentioned -- maybe capable of being a stud out there. Duke should be much better defensively. If we're not, then some credence will have to be given to the "freshmen can't play defense" or "Coach K is over the hill defensively" type narratives. Calipari would produce a top-15 defense with this team, imo.

ricks68
09-08-2017, 10:13 PM

IMHO, this Duke team should be pre-ranked behind other more experienced teams (Arizona, Mich. State and others). Hopefully, we'll we better than I think at the end of the season, but can't see predicting a National Championship or Final Four appearance.

Be careful saying things like this on the boards. Rational statements, such as those contained in your post above, may result in a lifetime banishment. You have been warned.😨

ricks

arnie
09-09-2017, 08:17 AM
Be careful saying things like this on the boards. Rational statements, such as those contained in your post above, may result in a lifetime banishment. You have been warned.😨

ricks

If we go 40-0 this year I'll happily impose a lifetime banishment.🤡

rasputin
09-13-2017, 06:20 PM
The actual composite schedule linked earlier in the thread is messed up. For example, see Thursday March 1, which lists that Louisville will play at NCState at 6 p.m., and that Louisville will host Virginia at 8 p.m. It also lists that NC State will be playing Georgia Tech at 8 p.m. (after playing Louisville at home at 6).

The ACC's website doesn't have the composite schedule up yet (at least not where I could find it). I didn't have the time to check for other errors.

RPS
09-13-2017, 07:46 PM
Some may even be difficult but I expect we will be favored in every game this season.There are very good reasons to be hopeful and I am excited about the season. This season's team can be very good. But I was a student during the 1978-79 season (https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/schools/duke/1979.html) and saw every home game at CIS. That team was the overwhelming preseason #1 nationally with all five starters and more back from 1978's NCAA Tournament finalist. Yet the season was decidedly underwhelming (ACC regular season #2; ACC Tournament final loss; first game/second round NCAA Tournament loss) despite lots of NBA talent, a load of experience and general good health. Stuff happens.

msdukie
09-16-2017, 10:18 PM
Hold on a sec, did anyone notice the Vivid Seats advertisement at the bottom of the schedule? Official reselling partner, Events@Duke?
What's that all about?

VividSeats has been Duke's official ticket reseller for a few years.