PDA

View Full Version : Any Army, Navy, or Air Force Reserve Veterans Here?

mattman91
04-01-2017, 05:54 PM
Tell me your about your experience.

YmoBeThere
04-01-2017, 06:17 PM
Yes, Army. I went through ROTC(4 year scholarship) and branched Signal(Communications systems). Served most of my time with transportation units as most Signal assets were too far away. Had a detachment for several years(company sized element). That comes with full time employees, lots of assets, and lots of hours of your own time beyond normal drill and 2 weeks. I was in during the Clinton era, the operational tempo was very different, very few units had to deploy, usually specific skills were needed(Corps of Engineers). I got out right around September 11. That date changed everything, so younger folks likely have had a different experience with multiple deployments, etc.

mattman91
04-02-2017, 08:42 PM
Yes, Army. I went through ROTC(4 year scholarship) and branched Signal(Communications systems). Served most of my time with transportation units as most Signal assets were too far away. Had a detachment for several years(company sized element). That comes with full time employees, lots of assets, and lots of hours of your own time beyond normal drill and 2 weeks. I was in during the Clinton era, the operational tempo was very different, very few units had to deploy, usually specific skills were needed(Corps of Engineers). I got out right around September 11. That date changed everything, so younger folks likely have had a different experience with multiple deployments, etc.

Awesome! Thanks for your service. Do you mind if I PM you with a few questions? I may be interested in serving, but not until next year.

YmoBeThere
04-02-2017, 08:58 PM
Awesome! Thanks for your service. Do you mind if I PM you with a few questions? I may be interested in serving, but not until next year.

Feel free to, I'll do my best to answer them.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2017, 11:05 AM

Were you stationed at Ft. Gordon for your signal corps work?

If so, the Snake Lady says hello.

YmoBeThere
04-04-2017, 03:34 AM
Yep to Fort Gordon and nope to the Snake Lady. I know a few West Pointers that can't say the latter.

Devilwin
04-07-2017, 07:17 PM
USMC as well? Didn't see us in your list!

mattman91
04-16-2017, 02:25 PM
USMC as well? Didn't see us in your list!

My brother is a Marine...I don't think I'm ready for all that. :cool:

I am already 25 years old, which I know is still very young, and I am still in school. Physically the USMC would be too much. With school and work the top priority for me, the NG may be the best fit for me. The NG and the Army Reserve are also the best geographically because I would be able to do my weekend drills here in Asheville.