PDA

View Full Version : ACC returns to North Carolina

Olympic Fan
03-31-2017, 04:20 PM
I'm going to try again, because there is news.

In reaction to the repeal of HB2 earlier this week, the ACC Council of Presidents voted today to lift the ban on placing championship events in North Carolina.

Not sure when that will be implemented, but the 2019 ACC Men's Basketball Tournament is scheduled for Charlotte ... and 2020 is scheduled for Greensboro (take THAT, Jim Boeheim!).

I would hope we can talk about the news without debating the merits of the NC legislature or the NCAA/ACC reaction to it

But this IS news ... NCAA reaction is likely to come next week.

94duke
03-31-2017, 04:42 PM
WRAL link:
http://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-to-consider-nc-as-event-host-again-after-lgbt-law-change/16617946/

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2017, 04:46 PM
Good news.

FadedTackyShirt
03-31-2017, 04:53 PM
Didn't the original ACC ban follow the NCAA ban? If the NCAA decides the three year moratorium isn't sufficient, would the ACC reverse course again?

94duke
03-31-2017, 04:54 PM
Didn't the original ACC ban follow the NCAA ban? If the NCAA decides the three year moratorium isn't sufficient, would the ACC reverse course again?

Maybe the ACC is trying to "help" the NCAA with their decision.

ricks68
04-01-2017, 03:46 AM

Definitely not to get into a political discussion here, but I believe that none of the points listed in the original bill that the NCAA stated were the cause of their actions, were repealed. It will be very interesting to see what the NCAA does now.:eek:

ricks

KenTankerous
04-01-2017, 10:43 AM
I would hope we can talk about the news without debating the merits of the NC legislature or the NCAA/ACC reaction to it.

I agree that a discussion of HB2 and it's replacement would lead us down no good path, but how are we supposed to talk about the news without discussing the NCAA/ACC reaction? Pass/Fail grading?

I give this a FAIL, then.

BandAlum83
04-01-2017, 11:46 AM
Definitely not to get into a political discussion here, but I believe that none of the points listed in the original bill that the NCAA stated were the cause of their actions, were repealed. It will be very interesting to see what the NCAA does now.:eek:

ricks

I haven't follwed the repeal. From the short blurbs I've read, I was given to understand the bill was repealed in its entirety except for not allowing communities to pass their own laws.

Has anyone come across a good, complete article on what was actually passed/repealed? Maybe a link (with no discussion)?

KenTankerous
04-01-2017, 12:06 PM
I haven't follwed the repeal. From the short blurbs I've read, I was given to understand the bill was repealed in its entirety except for not allowing communities to pass their own laws.

Has anyone come across a good, complete article on what was actually passed/repealed? Maybe a link (with no discussion)?

https://mediavor.com/what-the-north-carolina-legislation-to-repeal-the-hb2-bathroom-bill-actually-says/

Left leaning, but not totally biased, summary with links to full text of HB142.

PackMan97
04-01-2017, 01:46 PM
I am absolutely disgueted by this whole sorted mess.

Regardless of your feelings about HB2 (this is not a policy post)...it was only at the thought of their beloved UNC missing another first and second round NCAA games at home did lawmakers decide to act. They didn't repeal it because it was the right thing. They didn't stick to their guns and keep it because it was the right thing. They did it to save their Tarheels.

I swear, some of these guys would throw their mama from a train to protect their precious.

BandAlum83
04-01-2017, 01:49 PM
I am absolutely disgusted by this whole sordid mess.

Regardless of your feelings about HB2 (this is not a policy post)...it was only at the thought of their prcesious UNC missing another first and second round NCAA games that lawmakers decided to act. They didn't repeal it because it was the right thing. They didn't stick to their guns and keep it because it was the right thing. They did it to save their Tarheels.

I swear, some of these guys would throw their mama from a train to protect their precious.

FIFY

PackMan97
04-01-2017, 01:53 PM
FIFY

I appreciate it, but that was not a mistake. As i understood HB2 it was about sorting :)

BandAlum83
04-01-2017, 01:58 PM
I appreciate it, but that was not a mistake. As i understood HB2 it was about sorting :)

I see what you did there! Well played. :)

Olympic Fan
04-01-2017, 01:59 PM
Every year on the Thursday before the Final Four, the NCAA president holds a press conference to talk about the state of college sports.

Two days ago, Mark Emmert was asked about the "repeal" of HB2 and whether the NCAA would return to North Carolina.

He gave a rather vague reply, saying the NCAA was reviewing the new bill. But he confirmed that NCAA Tournament sites for the next four years would be awarded and announced next week. Those sites were supposed to have been picked last fall, but the NCAA delayed the selection to give North Carolina time to address HB2. Apparently, North Carolina's recent action was prompted by a ultimatum from the NCAA, telling the legislature that time was running out on site selection.

To me, it's obvious that the NCAA wants to return to North Carolina. Whatever I think of the new bill (and I have STRONG opinions that I won't voice here), I'm guessing that the NCAA does what the ACC did and will accept the new bill.

The NCAA's bigger problem is Texas. The state is on the verge of passing a bill that is MUCH stronger than HB2. Passage will put the NCAA in a terrible spot -- the 2018 NCAA championship is scheduled for San Antonio. Emmert pointed out that it is much tougher to switch a Final Four on short notice than a first/second round site or even a regional.

For a summary of his remarks Thursday:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/30/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-north-carolina-hb2-rollback-host-cities/99845888/

Troublemaker
04-01-2017, 02:01 PM

Regardless of your feelings about HB2 (this is not a policy post)...it was only at the thought of their beloved UNC missing another first and second round NCAA games at home did lawmakers decide to act. They didn't repeal it because it was the right thing. They didn't stick to their guns and keep it because it was the right thing. They did it to save their Tarheels.

That's kind of where I'm at, too. It's not just any pod but Charlotte, where UNC gets a really huge crowd boost, that they're saving. Hopefully UNC is a 5-seed or lower and gets sent elsewhere next season.

DU82
04-01-2017, 02:03 PM
The NCAA's bigger problem is Texas. The state is on the verge of passing a bill that is MUCH stronger than HB2. Passage will put the NCAA in a terrible spot -- the 2018 NCAA championship is scheduled for San Antonio. Emmert pointed out that it is much tougher to switch a Final Four on short notice than a first/second round site or even a regional.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2017/03/30/ncaa-president-mark-emmert-north-carolina-hb2-rollback-host-cities/99845888/

I thought that was part of the agreement with Indianapolis, that the City would be an "emergency" site for any/all rounds if needed.

FadedTackyShirt
04-01-2017, 02:11 PM

If USC beats UNC in the Finals and the NCAA finally rightfully and justifiably hammers UNC, does North Carolina invade SC? Jordan becomes King of the combined Carolinas, they secede from the US, and the new country's motto is, "Suck it, Boeheim. The ceiling is the roof".

FadedTackyShirt
04-01-2017, 02:41 PM
Every year on the Thursday before the Final Four, the NCAA president holds a press conference to talk about the state of college sports.

Two days ago, Mark Emmert was asked about the "repeal" of HB2 and whether the NCAA would return to North Carolina.

He gave a rather vague reply, saying the NCAA was reviewing the new bill. But he confirmed that NCAA Tournament sites for the next four years would be awarded and announced next week. Those sites were supposed to have been picked last fall, but the NCAA delayed the selection to give North Carolina time to address HB2. Apparently, North Carolina's recent action was prompted by a ultimatum from the NCAA, telling the legislature that time was running out on site selection.

To me, it's obvious that the NCAA wants to return to North Carolina. Whatever I think of the new bill (and I have STRONG opinions that I won't voice here), I'm guessing that the NCAA does what the ACC did and will accept the new bill.

Texas legislation would not only affect the San Antonio F4, but the Cotton Bowl as well. Peach Bowl mysteriously dropped the Chick Fil A sponsorship/name when they joined the Cotton Bowl as part of the six CFB playoff bowls.

devildeac
04-01-2017, 03:13 PM
That's kind of where I'm at, too. It's not just any pod but Charlotte, where UNC gets a really huge crowd boost, that they're saving. Hopefully UNC is a 5-seed or lower and gets sent elsewhere next season.

To Hell? :cool:

PackMan97
04-01-2017, 03:13 PM

To the NIT?

devildeac
04-01-2017, 03:18 PM
To the NIT?

NIT would be fine as long as it was:

Not
In
Tournament

As in, any tournament.

wsb3
04-01-2017, 05:32 PM

Tried to spork you for this one..

ricks68
04-01-2017, 06:16 PM
Interesting thought here: I would bet that devildeac has the lowest spork to post ratio of anyone on the board-----given some sort of reasonable post count qualifier. Hint to reason for this thought: Check out his post count.😉😎
ricks

Reilly
04-01-2017, 06:56 PM
... Peach Bowl mysteriously dropped the Chick Fil A sponsorship/name when they joined the Cotton Bowl as part of the six CFB playoff bowls.

My understanding is that the old "Peach" name was added, and that Chick-fil-A is still a part of the name. See: http://www.chick-fil-apeachbowl.com/

devildeac
04-01-2017, 07:51 PM
Interesting thought here: I would bet that devildeac has the lowest spork to post ratio of anyone on the board-----given some sort of reasonable post count qualifier. Hint to reason for this thought: Check out his post count.😉😎
ricks

Quality<quantity or

Quality is not an option.

YmoBeThere
04-02-2017, 09:26 AM
ricks

In his defense, the sporks stop at 10 and his posts are quickly approaching infinity.

BandAlum83
04-02-2017, 12:43 PM
In his defense, the sporks stop at 10 and his posts are quickly approaching infinity.

Sporks stop at 11, but there seems to be two levels within: "Hall of Famer" and "Manager."

I went a year before realizing that if you hover your cursor over the Sporks, a little pop-up shows your level.

OldPhiKap
04-02-2017, 01:07 PM
Sporks stop at 11, but there seems to be two levels within: "Hall of Famer" and "Manager."

I went a year before realizing that if you hover your cursor over the Sporks, a little pop-up shows your level.

Interesting. I use an iPad so cannot pul that up.

Olympic Fan
04-02-2017, 01:44 PM
Texas legislation would not only affect the San Antonio F4, but the Cotton Bowl as well. Peach Bowl mysteriously dropped the Chick Fil A sponsorship/name when they joined the Cotton Bowl as part of the six CFB playoff bowls.

I'm not sure that Bowl Games fall under the NCAA purview -- aren't they administered by the CFA? I know the playoff system is.

There is one more long-term issue to be decided. Several states -- including New York and Vermont -- have ruled that their state schools cannot play games in a state with that kind of legislation. We all saw how HB2 cost us a home game with Albany ... and UNC lost a women's game with Vermont. I'm not sure which states have such bans (beyond NY and Vmt), but they also have to decide whether the new law is acceptable.

ricks68
04-02-2017, 02:23 PM

My post was not intended as an attack on my friend devildeac's credibility, but a tongue in cheek way to have followers on this board check out his post count. IMHO, an outstanding accomplishment that should be recognized.

ricks

FadedTackyShirt
04-02-2017, 02:45 PM
I'm not sure that Bowl Games fall under the NCAA purview -- aren't they administered by the CFA? I know the playoff system is.

There is one more long-term issue to be decided. Several states -- including New York and Vermont -- have ruled that their state schools cannot play games in a state with that kind of legislation. We all saw how HB2 cost us a home game with Albany ... and UNC lost a women's game with Vermont. I'm not sure which states have such bans (beyond NY and Vmt), but they also have to decide whether the new law is acceptable.

CA has the same law. Cal got a waiver on the UNC football game this Fall because the deal was finalized before HB2. Rumors of similar laws in MS and AL will affect future games.

It's not just Cal and UCLA who may be affected. San Jose State and Fresno State depend on huge body bag pay days from SEC schools. Those games go poof if some of those states follow NC.

NFL pulled a Super Bowl from AZ over failure to honor MLK. NFL would probably mimic the NBA's CLT all star game boycott on future TX Super Bowls. Planned Rams/Chargers LA stadium doesn't need a roof for weather purposes any time, but may be especially useful on a February Sunday and an April three day weekend. Jerry Jones can't be too stoked...

YmoBeThere
04-02-2017, 02:48 PM
My post was not intended as an attack on my friend devildeac's credibility, but a tongue in cheek way to have followers on this board check out his post count. IMHO, an outstanding accomplishment that should be recognized.

ricks

Oh, but his credibility, even with his enshrinement on Mt. Hatemore, is always in question. But then after my spork counting fiasco, so is mine.

devildeac
04-02-2017, 03:13 PM
Oh, but his credibility, even with his enshrinement on Mt. Hatemore, is always in question. But then after my spork counting fiasco, so is mine.

The enshrinement should never, ever be questioned.

Now, credibility OTOH...

Often wrong, never in doubt. :p

weezie
04-02-2017, 07:47 PM

Rest assured, sir, you rest amongst the titans on Olympus. Or some such overwrought flummery.

BandAlum83
04-03-2017, 04:26 AM

A shame you can't, the levels are kinda cute. It was pretty clever of whoever came up with them.

We may want to adjust the spork count levels, however. I shouldn't have been able to get to Hall of Fame level in only a year on the boards.

I mean, I'm good, but... :)

The presidential thread definitely helped, while also providing me with some vacation time.

Troublemaker
04-03-2017, 09:20 AM
A shame you can't, the levels are kinda cute. It was pretty clever of whoever came up with them.

We may want to adjust the spork count levels, however. I shouldn't have been able to get to Hall of Fame level in only a year on the boards.

I mean, I'm good, but... :)

The presidential thread definitely helped, while also providing me with some vacation time.

One thing that might be fun is if a bunch of 11-spork Managers that have held that status for awhile would all agree to go back to 0 at the same time. So veterans become newbies. And old newbies become the veterans and hold the most sporking power.

I'd do it, but I'd want a bunch of other old-timers to do it with me. Why do such a thing? Because it'd be fun to rebuild.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-03-2017, 09:40 AM
One thing that might be fun is if a bunch of 11-spork Managers that have held that status for awhile would all agree to go back to 0 at the same time. So veterans become newbies. And old newbies become the veterans and hold the most sporking power.

I'd do it, but I'd want a bunch of other old-timers to do it with me. Why do such a thing? Because it'd be fun to rebuild.

I wouldn't be afraid. Feels like I build my sporks in no time. Perhaps I should pick up some new hobbies.

devildeac
04-03-2017, 09:56 AM

Not me, I'll just transfer...

(ducks, covers, runs)

:rolleyes:

OldPhiKap
04-03-2017, 10:00 AM

A few years ago, I toyed with the idea of retiring OPK and starting a new name. May have to bring that back to the frontal lobes and knock it around.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-03-2017, 10:01 AM
A few years ago, I toyed with the idea of retiring OPK and starting a new name. May have to bring that back to the frontal lobes and knock it around.

I was hoping to have a new name later today, but things didn't go as planned.

Indoor66
04-03-2017, 10:17 AM

Just get married.😎

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
04-03-2017, 11:07 AM
Just get married.😎

That ship has sailed, mon frere.

Tom B.
04-03-2017, 01:06 PM

My guess is the NCAA brings Tournament games back to NC. The main criticism of the HB2 repeal is that it leaves in place a legal regime in which discrimination against the LGBT community in private employment, housing, etc., remains legal -- which is true. The NCAA's problem, though, is that this is consistent with the laws in a bunch of other states. The reality is simply that many forms of discrimination by private parties based on sexual orientation and gender identity are legal in many states. (Whether federal, state, and local governments can discriminate on those bases is another question, because it involves issues of Constitutional law, so I won't get into that here.)

So if the NCAA is still going to keep Tournament games out of NC, it'll also have to pull Tournament games from a number of other states to be consistent, and/or bar many states from hosting future Tournament sites. Those states would include: South Carolina -- which just happily hosted the Tournament games that NC lost because of HB2.
Georgia -- bye-bye, 2018 South Regionals and 2020 Final Four.
Texas -- and this would be regardless of whether Texas passes its HB2-on-steroids bill.
Florida -- no Tournament games are currently scheduled for Florida in the coming years, but they've hosted subregionals in the past and could be in line for more in the yet-to-be-assigned subregional sites for 2019 and beyond.
Tennessee -- Nashville is slated to host a subregional in 2018.
Indiana -- Indianapolis has the 2021 Final Four.
Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh is slated to host a subregional in 2018.
Ohio -- kiss the First Four in Dayton goodbye.
Michigan -- Detroit is slated to host a subregional in 2018.
Nebraska -- Omaha is slated to host the Midwest Regionals in 2018.
Kansas -- Wichita is slated to host a subregional in 2018.
Idaho -- Boise is slated to host a subregional in 2018.You see how this could rapidly become a big problem for the NCAA, if they decide to keep Tournament games out of North Carolina. Which is why I think they'll follow the ACC's lead, keep the subregional pod in Charlotte next year, and allow NC cities to apply as host sites for future Tournaments.

OldPhiKap
04-03-2017, 03:56 PM
My guess is the NCAA brings Tournament games back to NC. The main criticism of the HB2 repeal is that it leaves in place a legal regime in which discrimination against the LGBT community in private employment, housing, etc., remains legal -- which is true. The NCAA's problem, though, is that this is consistent with the laws in a bunch of other states. The reality is simply that many forms of discrimination by private parties based on sexual orientation and gender identity are legal in many states. (Whether federal, state, and local governments can discriminate on those bases is another question, because it involves issues of Constitutional law, so I won't get into that here.)

So if the NCAA is still going to keep Tournament games out of NC, it'll also have to pull Tournament games from a number of other states to be consistent, and/or bar many states from hosting future Tournament sites. Those states would include: South Carolina -- which just happily hosted the Tournament games that NC lost because of HB2.
Georgia -- bye-bye, 2018 South Regionals and 2020 Final Four.
Texas -- and this would be regardless of whether Texas passes its HB2-on-steroids bill.
Florida -- no Tournament games are currently scheduled for Florida in the coming years, but they've hosted subregionals in the past and could be in line for more in the yet-to-be-assigned subregional sites for 2019 and beyond.
Tennessee -- Nashville is slated to host a subregional in 2018.
Indiana -- Indianapolis has the 2021 Final Four.
Pennsylvania -- Pittsburgh is slated to host a subregional in 2018.
Ohio -- kiss the First Four in Dayton goodbye.
Michigan -- Detroit is slated to host a subregional in 2018.
Nebraska -- Omaha is slated to host the Midwest Regionals in 2018.
Kansas -- Wichita is slated to host a subregional in 2018.
Idaho -- Boise is slated to host a subregional in 2018.You see how this could rapidly become a big problem for the NCAA, if they decide to keep Tournament games out of North Carolina. Which is why I think they'll follow the ACC's lead, keep the subregional pod in Charlotte next year, and allow NC cities to apply as host sites for future Tournaments.

Agree with this. My guess is that the NCAA is looking for a way to save face and get out of this business, rather than to wade further into it. The NCAA is primarily interested in making money, not controversy or the betterment of mankind.

NSDukeFan
04-03-2017, 07:57 PM

Just get married.😎

That ship has sailed, mon frere.

I didn't think .15 was your maiden name.

Scorp4me
04-03-2017, 11:50 PM
I have said before and was about to say again, the NCAA may run out of states to hold games in if they keep this up...but Tom B beat me to it. I wish NC had told the NCAA to go take a flying leap, at this point in time being in line with the NCAA's "way of thinking" doesn't seem to be the right camp to be in. But then again, they are "reviewing" the UNC case too right? Riiiight.

grad_devil
04-04-2017, 09:11 AM
Hot off the press: the NCAA finds that NC may have done the bare minimum necessary (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-board-governors-position-hb2-repeal)to allow championships to be held in the state again.

Money quote from the article:

We are actively determining site selections, and this new law has minimally achieved a situation where we believe NCAA championships may be conducted in a nondiscriminatory environment. If we find that our expectations of a discrimination-free environment are not met, we will not hesitate to take necessary action at any time.

jv001
04-04-2017, 10:34 AM
Hot off the press: the NCAA finds that NC may have done the bare minimum necessary (http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/ncaa-board-governors-position-hb2-repeal)to allow championships to be held in the state again.

Money quote from the article:

Now if the NCAA would get off their sorry behinds and bring the UNCheats to justice. What has it been 6 years now and counting? I have lost all respect for the NCAA and I'm slowing getting to the point that I don't want to watch basketball games. The officiating is terrible and most of the announcers are just as bad. This season has been one of the worse for me. With Duke's injuries and now the Cheats who should never have been in the NCAAT to begin with, wins the Tournament. I'm glad the weather is getting better so I can go hit some golf balls and pretend it's old roy and the NCAA. GoDuke!

hudlow
04-04-2017, 11:09 AM
"Bare minimum", if that's now acceptable by The NCAA, that's a bad sign for everyone but schools that are under investigation and awaiting an outcome.

Tom B.
04-04-2017, 08:36 PM
Of course, this could make many of these questions moot:

Court: Civil Rights law prohibits discrimination of LGBT (http://www.startribune.com/court-civil-rights-law-covers-lgbt-workplace-bias/418275723/)

A federal appeals court ruled for the first time Tuesday that the 1964 Civil Rights Act protects LGBT employees from workplace discrimination, setting up a likely battle before the Supreme Court as gay rights advocates push to broaden the scope of the 53-year-old law.

The decision by the full 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Chicago comes just three weeks after a three-judge panel in Atlanta ruled the opposite, saying employers aren't prohibited from discriminating against employees based on sexual orientation.

The U.S. Supreme Court will almost certainly take this up, now that there's a circuit split on the interpretation of a major piece of federal legislation. If the Supreme Court upholds the Seventh Circuit's decision and holds that the federal Civil Rights Act protects LGBT individuals from workplace discrimination, then that will be the law of the land (unless Congress changes the Civil Rights Act). It won't matter what the laws of individual states say (or don't say) on the issue.

Not trying to start a PP discussion -- I just thought this was an interesting development, especially given the timing and the issues currently being debated in NC and other states.

FadedTackyShirt
04-07-2017, 08:49 AM
https://swimswam.com/166-athletes-sign-letter-asking-ncaa-reconsider-nc-decision/

Nancy Hogshead, Duke's most decorated Olympic athlete, signed a petition asking the NCAA to continue the North Carolina championship ban.

ClosetHurleyFan
04-07-2017, 09:01 AM
Agree with this. My guess is that the NCAA is looking for a way to save face and get out of this business, rather than to wade further into it. The NCAA is primarily interested in making money, not controversy or the betterment of mankind.

Wow. Spot on. It is this type of hypocrisy from the NCAA that drives me and I am sure others craziest.

superdave
04-07-2017, 10:43 AM

I think the NCAA should address adultery next. I have a few cases I'd like them to review and provide thoughts on!

Then maybe we can get into usury laws, self-driving cars and asset forfeiture next.