PDA

View Full Version : Duke Baseball

CharlestonDave
03-31-2017, 01:47 AM
I remember a while ago this was brought up but I do not remember the respones .

I understand that a school cannot be good in every sport that it plays but baseball seems to be the only sport played at Duke where Duke is really not that compettitive compared to the other ACC schools.Can anyone explain the reason ?

When is the last time that Duke ever qualified for the NCAA tournament?. Did they ever reach the finals in Omaha ?

Thank you .

accfanfrom1970
03-31-2017, 03:39 AM
They qualified last year.....

sagegrouse
03-31-2017, 08:58 AM
I remember a while ago this was brought up but I do not remember the respones .

I understand that a school cannot be good in every sport that it plays but baseball seems to be the only sport played at Duke where Duke is really not that compettitive compared to the other ACC schools.Can anyone explain the reason ?

When is the last time that Duke ever qualified for the NCAA tournament?. Did they ever reach the finals in Omaha ?

Thank you .

College World Series? Last time was 1961, but I still know some of those guys. Duke multi-sport legend Ace Parker was the coach. Early CWS appearances were in 1952 and 1953.

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2017, 09:22 AM
College World Series? Last time was 1961, but I still know some of those guys. Duke multi-sport legend Ace Parker was the coach. Early CWS appearances were in 1952 and 1953.

Big Don Altman - two sport legend.

chrishoke
03-31-2017, 10:19 AM
I love ouer current coach and 6think he is doing a fine job. We are 4-5 in the conference right now and have a big home series with Pitt this weekend.

DieHard
03-31-2017, 10:53 AM
The current coach is the right guy for the job. The ACC is the premier league for college baseball, and it takes a while. Even a great recruiting class takes a few years to develop in baseball. Duke will be playing for championships in the coming years.

Olympic Fan
03-31-2017, 11:01 AM
The current coach is the right guy for the job. The ACC is the premier league for college baseball, and it takes a while. Even a great recruiting class takes a few years to develop in baseball. Duke will be playing for championships in the coming years.

Agree ... Duke's frustration in baseball has a lot to do with the refusal to commit resources (i.e. money) -- much like our stingy approach to football set that sport back for a generation. We didn't even give out the full scholarship numbers for years.

That has changed in recent years. The resources are there. And, as DieHard said, we finally have he right coach.

Duke qualified for the NCAA Tournament last season for the first time since the 1961 team went to the World Series. Unfortunately, the team's top three pitchers (all grad transfers) left and this year's team is still trying to put it's staff together, especially the three solid starters that mean so much in ACC play (when you face a three-game series every weekend).

Short-term, it's going to be tough for this year's team to repeat last year's success. But long-term, the outlook is good.

Dev11
03-31-2017, 11:05 AM
For those in the know, how much has the more regular use of DBAP contributed to the improvement? I graduated in 2011 and love baseball, but I couldn't bring myself to attend more than a couple games on campus because the stadium was so lacking.

jwillfan
03-31-2017, 12:07 PM
For those in the know, how much has the more regular use of DBAP contributed to the improvement? I graduated in 2011 and love baseball, but I couldn't bring myself to attend more than a couple games on campus because the stadium was so lacking.

Can't speak to whether playing games in DBAP contributed to improvement but I live in Durm and have been to a handful of games, most recently Wednesday against NC A&T. They are full-out on the big media scoreboard with live stats, and you can sit right behind the dugout, it's a great environment to watch baseball. If the weather is good we'll hit at least one of the Pitt games this weekend. I have a 14 yo that plays and we've met Coach Pollard, can't say enough good about how he's turned around the program. FWIW their starter on Weds is a freshman and is a beast, 6-4 and threw heat for 6 innings. I live closer to campus but happy to pay to see them at the DBAP. I bet that helps with recruiting, too.

jimsumner
03-31-2017, 12:11 PM
Playing at the Bulls park beats playing at Coombs. A better option, IMO, would be to build a first-rate facility on campus. Duke agrees. In principle. But raising money for other sports has been a higher priority.

Teams can give 11 2/3 scholarships. Baseball teams have more than 11.7 players. So, lots of players get partial scholarships.

Posit a hypothetical prep star in Greensboro. He can get a half-scholarship at NC State and his family can pay the other half of his in-state tuition.

Or he can get a half-scholarship at Duke and his family can be the other half of Duke tuition.

So, Duke tends to recruit from a pool that includes families with the financial resources to make a half-scholarship work.

Private schools can be successful in college baseball. Vandy won at Omaha a few years ago, Rice a bit further back and Stanford has a great tradition. Southern Cal used to rule the roost.

But state-supported schools have an advantage here.

Pollard is doing a very good job and the program is on the upswing. Getting quality arms continues to be the challenge.

It helps that Marcus Stroman proudly mentions his Duke pedigree. Top recruits want to know that a program can help them get to the majors. Duke needs more to make it clear that Stroman isn't a fluke.

FWIW, one of Duke's best players is Jeff Conine's son Griffin, a power-hitting rightfielder.

CrazyNotCrazie
03-31-2017, 12:20 PM
Can't speak to whether playing games in DBAP contributed to improvement but I live in Durm and have been to a handful of games, most recently Wednesday against NC A&T. They are full-out on the big media scoreboard with live stats, and you can sit right behind the dugout, it's a great environment to watch baseball. If the weather is good we'll hit at least one of the Pitt games this weekend. I have a 14 yo that plays and we've met Coach Pollard, can't say enough good about how he's turned around the program. FWIW their starter on Weds is a freshman and is a beast, 6-4 and threw heat for 6 innings. I live closer to campus but happy to pay to see them at the DBAP. I bet that helps with recruiting, too.

I agree with you that it is likely a great atmosphere and also good for recruiting. That being said, as a student, I really enjoyed wandering over on a nice spring day and sitting on the hill by first base and catching a few innings of a game. Even though I had a car most years, I would have been highly unlikely to drive to a game. I know the stadium is not anywhere near the standards of our peer schools but hopefully they will keep at least some games on campus for the benefit of students until they potentially upgrade it.

Indoor66
03-31-2017, 12:26 PM
Playing at the Bulls park beats playing at Coombs. A better option, IMO, would be to build a first-rate facility on campus. Duke agrees. In principle. But raising money for other sports has been a higher priority.

Teams can give 11 2/3 scholarships. Baseball teams have more than 11.7 players. So, lots of players get partial scholarships.

Posit a hypothetical prep star in Greensboro. He can get a half-scholarship at NC State and his family can pay the other half of his in-state tuition.

Or he can get a half-scholarship at Duke and his family can be the other half of Duke tuition.

So, Duke tends to recruit from a pool that includes families with the financial resources to make a half-scholarship work.

Private schools can be successful in college baseball. Vandy won at Omaha a few years ago, Rice a bit further back and Stanford has a great tradition. Southern Cal used to rule the roost.

Pollard is doing a very good job and the program is on the upswing. Getting quality arms continues to be the challenge.

It helps that Marcus Stroman proudly mentions his Duke pedigree. Top recruits want to know that a program can help them get to the majors. Duke needs more to make it clear that Stroman isn't a fluke.

FWIW, one of Duke's best players is Jeff Conine's son Griffin, a power-hitting rightfielder.

As do the FL, NM, AZ and CA schools - 'cause of the weather.

jwillfan
03-31-2017, 03:25 PM

I saw him hit a HR on Wednesday and didn't make that connection! That is very cool.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-31-2017, 04:42 PM
We're planning on going to tomorrow's (Saturday's) game at the DBAP! First Duke baseball game I've been to since ol' dirty spikes hisself from Roxboro was our coach!

Did I ever tell y'all that I made the spring roster my freshman year (after trying out in the fall):cool:, but having hurt both shoulders playing Club Football I couldn't raise either arm over shoulder height without great pain, so I didn't go back out to play. And honestly, until I saw the spring roster in some archive listing 2 years ago, I didn't know I had made it!:mad:

chrishoke
03-31-2017, 09:27 PM
Duke beat Pitt tonight 14-0 to even their ACC record at 5-5. Go Devils!

duketaylor
03-31-2017, 09:47 PM
We're planning on going to tomorrow's (Saturday's) game at the DBAP! First Duke baseball game I've been to since ol' dirty spikes hisself from Roxboro was our coach!

Did I ever tell y'all that I made the spring roster my freshman year (after trying out in the fall):cool:, but having hurt both shoulders playing Club Football I couldn't raise either arm over shoulder height without great pain, so I didn't go back out to play. And honestly, until I saw the spring roster in some archive listing 2 years ago, I didn't know I had made it!:mad:

OZ, you should use the same "reason" for your golf game:cool:

Avvocato
04-01-2017, 06:31 AM
I agree with you that it is likely a great atmosphere and also good for recruiting. That being said, as a student, I really enjoyed wandering over on a nice spring day and sitting on the hill by first base and catching a few innings of a game. Even though I had a car most years, I would have been highly unlikely to drive to a game. I know the stadium is not anywhere near the standards of our peer schools but hopefully they will keep at least some games on campus for the benefit of students until they potentially upgrade it.

Couldn't agree more. I used to go over for many 3:00 pm games on campus, get a couple of dogs and some peanuts, and watch games. If I had to drive to the DAP, I would have only gone occasionally. Of course, I lived on west campus. If I lived off campus or anywhere else, it may not have mattered where the games were at that point.

Farlan
04-01-2017, 08:45 AM
Duke is playing Pitt again today and tomorrow at 1 pm at the DBAP - great weather this weekend so I'm going to try make it out there for one or both of them! Also, the team is playing an exhibition game against the Durham Bulls on Tuesday at 6 pm.

budwom
04-01-2017, 09:33 AM
we're getting eight inches of snow right now so I'm putting the ol' ball glove away for a bit.

FadedTackyShirt
04-01-2017, 09:52 AM

Duke adding softball, but not investing in baseball is puzzling. Duke softball will face the same issues as baseball plus require capital investment in facilities and 12 scholarships.

If adding softball is about Title IX, Duke probably would have been better off eliminating men's swimming, fully funding women's swimming, and building a first rate baseball facility.

Duke diving has been very good, but swimming hasn't produced much since Nancy Hogshead. Stanford and USC are the only private schools in the top twenty of NCAA swimming. The Ivies (no scholarships, training restrictions), Northwestern, Rice, Vandy, and Notre Dame underachieve and some no longer have men's programs.

Duke women are moving toward full funding (14 scholarships), but the men's team is still unfunded (full funding is 9.9 scholarships).

miramar
04-01-2017, 09:57 AM
As do the FL, NM, AZ and CA schools - 'cause of the weather.

And speaking of state schools and the state of Florida, the scholarship situation explains why Miami is no longer the powerhouse it used to be, and why Florida is ranked #9 and FSU #12. Florida swept UM in a recent three-game series, while giving up only two runs in the process, something that never used to happen.

Things might not change unless UM manages to get some really big bucks from their big fan ARod.

And as an aside, I recently suffered through the Duke-UM basketball debacle, but I knew I had spent too much on the tickets when I saw Jeb Bush and ARod sitting nearby. I am definitely not in their tax bracket so there was no reason why I should have been sitting in their section.

I just hope that Duke baseball can extract a bit of revenge vs. UM next week. After all, Dartmouth beat them two out of three, so why not Duke?

OZZIE4DUKE
04-02-2017, 06:39 AM
Fully enjoyed our outing to the DBAP yesterday, except for the outcome. We lost in 10 innings 9-8 after leading 8-5 after 3.

Bot it I did get this souvenir!

Olympic Fan
04-09-2017, 02:07 PM
Absolutely brutal loss Saturday night in Miami.

Duke is up 7-0 in the seventh when Miami rallies.

But it's 7-4 in the bottom of the ninth with two outs, one man on first and two strikes on the batter.

In fact, Duke gets two strikes on four straight batters to win the game, but instead Miami gets a three-run walk-off homer to win it, 9-7.

“I don’t know I’ve ever been part of a game where you’re one out away with a three-run lead, a runner at first, with a two-strike count on four straight hitters and can’t make the pitch to finish it,” said head coach Chris Pollard. “I’ve never been a part of a game like that. It’s frustrating. I’m disappointed for our guys. I’m disappointed for Mitch Stallings who threw a terrific ballgame. We’ve got to do a good job of scrapping ourselves off the mat and getting ready to play tomorrow.”

Duke is now 16-16 overall and 5-8 in the ACC.

Avvocato
04-10-2017, 08:24 PM
Duke at Miami on ESPNU right now. A pleasant find on the TV. Duke leads 2-0 heading into the bottom of the 5th.

duke79
04-10-2017, 09:06 PM
Duke at Miami on ESPNU right now. A pleasant find on the TV. Duke leads 2-0 heading into the bottom of the 5th.

yea, I'm watching it right now. I don't ever remember seeing Duke baseball on ESPN (at least during the regular season)!

OZZIE4DUKE
04-10-2017, 09:40 PM
Our relief pitching must really suck. We went to Durham last week and saw us blow a 3'run lead to lose 9-8 in 10 innings. And now we are tied 2-2 after Miami tied it in the 7th. Grrrr

awhom111
04-10-2017, 09:53 PM

yea, I'm watching it right now. I don't ever remember seeing Duke baseball on ESPN (at least during the regular season)!

My listings suggest that we were on ESPNU back in 2015.

If only somebody on the board routinely provided TV and internet broadcast information for upcoming non-Basketball/non-Football Duke games approximately 12-24 hours before each event...

hallcity
04-10-2017, 10:26 PM
Duke wins 5-2 in 10.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-10-2017, 10:28 PM
Some timely hitting with men on base surely helps! Big win for our guys! Congrats! LGD GTHc!

Newton_14
04-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Thanks for the heads up last night. I switched over to the game and watched from the bottom of the seventh to the victorious end in the bottom of the 10th. Our boys got it done despite losing the two run lead. Gutsy.

Olympic Fan
05-19-2017, 12:56 AM
While there is obviously not a lot of interest in Duke baseball this spring, I couldn't let Thursday's game pass without notice.

Duke, having as tough season, just upset No. 3 North Carolina 8-4 in Chapel Hill. It's the first of a three-game series.

Just as importantly, it clinched Duke a spot in the ACC Tournament.

Still need one more baseball win to insure a clean sweep over UNC this year -- 1-0 in football, 2-1 in men's basketball and now 1-0 in baseball.

burnspbesq
05-19-2017, 01:56 AM
The ACC has frequently been an eight-bid league, so making the ACC tournament is a big deal. Winning a game or two would be even bigger.

Would be nice if Duke were to make the NCAA for the second consecutive season.

For my own selfish interests, would be even better if they got shipped out to play in a regional in Fullerton.

Faison1
05-19-2017, 11:10 AM
The ACC has frequently been an eight-bid league, so making the ACC tournament is a big deal. Winning a game or two would be even bigger.

Would be nice if Duke were to make the NCAA for the second consecutive season.

For my own selfish interests, would be even better if they got shipped out to play in a regional in Fullerton.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they expanded the ACC Tourney to 12 teams this year. Still, it's a good accomplishment to make the field. The ACC is very tough this year. I think 4 teams are in the top-10 nationally.

chrishoke
05-19-2017, 11:51 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think they expanded the ACC Tourney to 12 teams this year. Still, it's a good accomplishment to make the field. The ACC is very tough this year. I think 4 teams are in the top-10 nationally.

That is correct. We still have an outside chance of finishing in the top 8.

Clocktower
05-19-2017, 01:09 PM
While there is obviously not a lot of interest in Duke baseball this spring, I couldn't let Thursday's game pass without notice.

Duke, having as tough season, just upset No. 3 North Carolina 8-4 in Chapel Hill. It's the first of a three-game series.

Just as importantly, it clinched Duke a spot in the ACC Tournament.

Still need one more baseball win to insure a clean sweep over UNC this year -- 1-0 in football, 2-1 in men's basketball and now 1-0 in baseball.

Don't forget 1-0 in men's lax. Sweet! Come on Devils . . .

devildeac
05-20-2017, 07:31 PM
The Boys of Summer lost a tough one yesterday to the baseball version of the cheating vermin, 3-2 in 10 innings. :(

Olympic Fan
05-20-2017, 08:43 PM
The Boys of Summer lost a tough one yesterday to the baseball version of the cheating vermin, 3-2 in 10 innings. :(

And finished the series with a 9-7 loss Saturday.

devildeac
05-20-2017, 11:03 PM
And finished the series with a 9-7 loss Saturday.

A win would have been fabulous to take the series but two close losses to a highly ranked, though dishonest institution, is still pretty respectable. Damn.

Olympic Fan
05-21-2017, 12:26 AM
The field is set for the 2017 ACC Tournament, which opens Tuesday and runs through Sunday in Louisville (it was supposed to be in Durham, but was moved during the HB2 controversy).

It's a new format this year -- four three-team pools. Each team plays the other two teams in its pool and the four teams that have the best record in their pools advance to a four-team, single-elimination tournament Saturday and Sunday.

Duke is the overall No. 9 seed and will be in a pool with No. 4 Virginia and No. 5 Clemson.

Specific game times will be announced Sunday.

jhmoss1812
05-21-2017, 12:14 PM
The field is set for the 2017 ACC Tournament, which opens Tuesday and runs through Sunday in Louisville (it was supposed to be in Durham, but was moved during the HB2 controversy).

It's a new format this year -- four three-team pools. Each team plays the other two teams in its pool and the four teams that have the best record in their pools advance to a four-team, single-elimination tournament Saturday and Sunday.

Duke is the overall No. 9 seed and will be in a pool with No. 4 Virginia and No. 5 Clemson.

Specific game times will be announced Sunday.

New format really benefits the best seed in each pod. As a UVA fan, we just need to beat the winner of Duke/Clemson and we advance. I'm pulling for Duke to beat Clemson on Tuesday and then UVA to beat Duke on Thursday. Then, we can rest our guys vs. Clemson on Friday and get ready for the Pool A winner (likely Louisville). Duke has to go 2-0 in the pool to advance. Good luck guys!

Olympic Fan
05-21-2017, 01:25 PM
New format really benefits the best seed in each pod. As a UVA fan, we just need to beat the winner of Duke/Clemson and we advance. I'm pulling for Duke to beat Clemson on Tuesday and then UVA to beat Duke on Thursday. Then, we can rest our guys vs. Clemson on Friday and get ready for the Pool A winner (likely Louisville). Duke has to go 2-0 in the pool to advance. Good luck guys!

Times for Duke:

Duke vs. Clemson, Tuesday at 7 pm

Duke vs. Virginia, Thursday at 11 am

As Jhmoss mentions, Duke has to go 2-0 to advance to Saturday's semifinals. Even a 1-1 split eliminates the Devils.

If all three teams in a pod finish 1-1, the highest seed advances, therefore the format is very much in favor of No. 1 Louisville, No. 2 UNC, No. 3 Wake and No. 4 Virginia -- the top seeds in the four pools. The new format was adopted to cut down the number of games teams had to play in the week before the NCAA Tournament starts. I think it's fair -- you SHOULD reward the teams that did best over the regular season.

As for the NCAA, I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that Duke pretty much has to win the tournament and get the automatic bid to be invited. At 28-27 and 12-18, Duke just doesn't have the resume to be an at-large team.

arnie
05-23-2017, 10:45 PM
Times for Duke:

Duke vs. Clemson, Tuesday at 7 pm

Duke vs. Virginia, Thursday at 11 am

As Jhmoss mentions, Duke has to go 2-0 to advance to Saturday's semifinals. Even a 1-1 split eliminates the Devils.

If all three teams in a pod finish 1-1, the highest seed advances, therefore the format is very much in favor of No. 1 Louisville, No. 2 UNC, No. 3 Wake and No. 4 Virginia -- the top seeds in the four pools. The new format was adopted to cut down the number of games teams had to play in the week before the NCAA Tournament starts. I think it's fair -- you SHOULD reward the teams that did best over the regular season.

As for the NCAA, I'm not an expert, but my understanding is that Duke pretty much has to win the tournament and get the automatic bid to be invited. At 28-27 and 12-18, Duke just doesn't have the resume to be an at-large team.

D up 6-3 - going to top of 9th.

Olympic Fan
05-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Duke wins 6-3 ... down 3-1 early, Duke won the game with three runs in the top of the 8th.

Duke will face Virginia a 11 am. The outlook is simple. Win that game and Duke reaches the ACC semifinals Saturday. Lose and Duke's season is over.

91devil
05-23-2017, 11:07 PM
Yes!

Duke 6, Clemson 3. FINAL

jhmoss1812
05-23-2017, 11:09 PM
Duke wins 6-3 ... down 3-1 early, Duke won the game with three runs in the top of the 8th.

Duke will face Virginia a 11 am. The outlook is simple. Win that game and Duke reaches the ACC semifinals Saturday. Lose and Duke's season is over.

Congrats on the win. Looking forward to Duke-UVA Thursday to decide the winner of Pool D.

However, I am not looking forward to UVA-Clemson Friday for funsies.

TruBlu
05-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Yes!

Duke 6, Clemson 3. FINAL

Note: Clemson is currently ranked 14th.

Agree with your "Yes!"

Olympic Fan
05-24-2017, 01:36 PM
Note: Clemson is currently ranked 14th.

Agree with your "Yes!"

And Virginia, which Duke plays tomorrow morning, is No. 12.

Olympic Fan
05-24-2017, 11:51 PM
Major weather issues in Louisville Wednesday ... only one of three scheduled games was played.

That changed the schedule for Thursday -- Duke -Virginia will be played at 4 p.m. (instead of 11 am)

chrishoke
05-25-2017, 10:16 AM
So who are the starting pitchers for both teams?

duke79
05-25-2017, 11:54 AM
Is there a way to watch the UVa-Duke BB game online today?

chrishoke
05-25-2017, 12:06 PM
Yes, it's on the ACC Network/WatchESPN.

duke79
05-25-2017, 12:22 PM
Yes, it's on the ACC Network/WatchESPN.

Thanks, but when I went to the site, I got the message that the game was blacked out in my area. Do I need to wait until closer to game time?

Olympic Fan
05-25-2017, 02:19 PM
For those on TWC (or Spectrum, I guess it's now called), the entire tournament is on Fox Sports Carolina (No. 318 in Raleigh-Durham).

Just checked and UNC is up 10-0 on BC in the seventh ... the Duke-Virginia game follows this one.

OZ
05-25-2017, 03:24 PM
Duke - Virginia starting now - 3:25.

chrishoke
05-25-2017, 03:29 PM
Ryan Dauy is pitching for us.
Derek Casey for the hoos.

OZ
05-25-2017, 03:43 PM
With a walk and two hits (after two outs) - Duke up 1 -0 after one.

chrishoke
05-25-2017, 04:12 PM
Still 1-0 Duke after 3 innings.

OZ
05-25-2017, 04:29 PM
Day had retired 9 of 11, then ran into a little control problem...a walk, two hits and a hit batter.. after 3 1/2, Va leads 2-1

chrishoke
05-25-2017, 04:44 PM
Gotta score some runs!

chrishoke
05-25-2017, 05:17 PM
Duke retakes the lead in the3 bottom of the 4th 4-2.

91devil
05-25-2017, 05:18 PM
Three-run bottom of the sixth puts Duke up 4-2 heading to the seventh.

OZ
05-25-2017, 05:19 PM
Bottom of sixth 4-2 Duke

arnie
05-25-2017, 06:26 PM
Into the next round with 4-3 win. How is that setup?

DukieInKansas
05-25-2017, 06:35 PM
Great news! Thanks for the updates, everyone.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2017, 06:48 PM
Into the next round with 4-3 win. How is that setup?

Duke wins Pool D ...

The Devils will play the winner of Pool A Saturday at 1 p.m. in the tournament semifinals.

So far in Pool A, FSU has beaten Notre Dame. Louisville, the top seed in the tournament, plays Notre Dame tonight. The pool winner is likely to be determined in Friday's FSU-Louisville winner.

To win the tournament, Duke has to beat the Pool A winner Saturday, then beat the Pool B/C winner Sunday in the title game.

So halfway there!

dpslaw
05-25-2017, 09:58 PM
Duke wins Pool D ...

The Devils will play the winner of Pool A Saturday at 1 p.m. in the tournament semifinals.

So far in Pool A, FSU has beaten Notre Dame. Louisville, the top seed in the tournament, plays Notre Dame tonight. The pool winner is likely to be determined in Friday's FSU-Louisville winner.

To win the tournament, Duke has to beat the Pool A winner Saturday, then beat the Pool B/C winner Sunday in the title game.

So halfway there!

Actually, the winner of the FSU-Louisville game will win Pool A, regardless of the outcome of tonight's game.

Olympic Fan
05-25-2017, 11:56 PM
Actually, the winner of the FSU-Louisville game will win Pool A, regardless of the outcome of tonight's game.

Good catch, since FSU beat Notre Dame Wednesday. Louisville is the higher seed, but if FSU wins Friday, they are 2-0 in the pool. Even if Louisville loses to Notre Dame tonight, they still win the pool by beating FSU -- all three teams would be 1-1 in the poll and Louisville, the top seed, would advance.

If it's Duke-Louisville -- when the two teams met several weeks ago in Louisville, Duke won the opener. Lost a heartbreaker in the second game, then were blown out 10-0 in the third game. Duke didn't play FSU this year, so a semifinal matchup would be the first meeting.

With the two wins, Duke got to 30 wins on the season --they are now 30-27 and guaranteed a winning season.

jhmoss1812
05-26-2017, 12:24 PM
Congrats on the win yesterday guys! You guys looked like the better team to me. Hope you can do enough in the ACC tournament to sneak into the NCAA tourney. You've got some serious wins this year and could do some damage in NCAAs.

I think UVA will still be a regional host but we definitely won't be a national seed.

chrishoke
05-26-2017, 06:43 PM
Thanks Moss.

It's looking like we'll play FSU tomorrow at 1. They lead Louisville 6-2 in the 9th.

arnie
05-26-2017, 06:45 PM
FSU 6 - Louisville 2 in the 9th. If holds, we play a good, not great FSU. Then with a win may play an OK but not great Miami/State team if one of these can beat the cheats. That path to ACC championship is not impossible.

jhmoss1812
05-26-2017, 06:57 PM
Thanks Moss.

It's looking like we'll play FSU tomorrow at 1. They lead Louisville 6-2 in the 9th.

I thought being the top seed in each pod was supposed to be a good thing? haha

#6 Miami, #8 FSU and #9 Duke have all advanced to the semis so far.

KenTankerous
05-26-2017, 09:39 PM
I'm kinda glad FSU beat UofL.

I can wear my Duke gear to the game tomorrow afternoon and be a homer.

And not get garbage chucked at me through pick-up truck windows, like, you know, every Tuesday, on my way to work...

hallcity
05-26-2017, 10:20 PM
The game time has been changed to noon Saturday.

KenTankerous
05-26-2017, 11:31 PM
Anybody in town for the game who might want suggestions for fun, local food and stuff, hit me up...

accfanfrom1970
05-27-2017, 12:47 PM
Down 2-0 top of 3rd. FSU pitcher dealing, 5 k's. Hope another comeback a la Clemson is in the cards.

dpslaw
05-27-2017, 02:07 PM
Who'd a thunk we'd be watching baseball this weekend instead of lacrosse?

OZZIE4DUKE
05-27-2017, 02:29 PM
Who'd a thunk we'd be watching baseball this weekend instead of lacrosse?
Was hoping for both! Been on the golf course. Final score? LGD GTHc!

Bob Green
05-27-2017, 03:36 PM
Was hoping for both! Been on the golf course. Final score? LGD GTHc!

Rain delay. FSU 5, Duke 0 in Top 7th Inning.

KenTankerous
05-27-2017, 05:00 PM
FSU 5 The Good Guys 1

I snuck into the player section and talked to some of the Miami and <GAG>ChapelCheats. The Hurricanes weren't very personable but surprisingly, even in my Blue Devil gear, the Tar Heels were! I congratulated them on their basketball natty and then asked how, if at all, the ongoing NCAA investigation was impacting their life as potential plaintiffs.

"Well Coach sure does scrub over the courses a lot more now." One quipped.

They all laughed.

I left...

duketaylor
05-29-2017, 07:25 PM
How close is Duke to making the nationals? Not this year, obviously, but in the future? Not terribly far I think. Moving in the proper direction it seems!!!

Olympic Fan
05-29-2017, 08:29 PM
How close is Duke to making the nationals? Not this year, obviously, but in the future? Not terribly far I think. Moving in the proper direction it seems!!!

Well, Duke got an NCAA bid last season, then lost its three best pitchers (all grad transfers).

The team in the field was as good, but the pitching not as good this season.

If I'm reading things right, every Duke starting position player should return next season. One backup graduates -- Jalen Phillips -- and he hit .189 in 90 ABs

No pitcher who started a game graduates.

The biggest loss is that three of our top relievers -- Karl Blum, Nick Hendrix and Kevin Lewellyn will graduated.

Duke will need more pitching help next year -- not only to restock the bullpen, but No. 3 starter Adam Laskey (4-5, 6.83 ERA) and No. 4 starter Graeme Stinson (3-1, 6.67 ERA) need to be upgraded.

Still, it seems like Duke is well positioned to be an NCAA team next season.

duketaylor
05-29-2017, 09:47 PM
Well, Duke got an NCAA bid last season, then lost its three best pitchers (all grad transfers).

The team in the field was as good, but the pitching not as good this season.

If I'm reading things right, every Duke starting position player should return next season. One backup graduates -- Jalen Phillips -- and he hit .189 in 90 ABs

No pitcher who started a game graduates.

The biggest loss is that three of our top relievers -- Karl Blum, Nick Hendrix and Kevin Lewellyn will graduated.

Duke will need more pitching help next year -- not only to restock the bullpen, but No. 3 starter Adam Laskey (4-5, 6.83 ERA) and No. 4 starter Graeme Stinson (3-1, 6.67 ERA) need to be upgraded.

Still, it seems like Duke is well positioned to be an NCAA team next season.

Thanks, my bad. I know we seem close to being relevant. I now realize we made it last year. I want it to be a regular event as it seems this is the one sport in which we struggle to be a solid contender. I watch UVA win tennis, contend in golf, they have crew, etc. No reason we can't exceed them. UMD (I hate them) win both LAX titles this year, ugh!! My, well, not my, but seems like it, struggles to get to the ultimate level in men's golf. Duke should be be powers at all these sports. Softball starts next year. Tom Butters had a great vision for this, no doubt.

Oly, thx for the update/correction.

duke2x
05-29-2017, 09:56 PM
Stinson and Laskey were freshmen forced into action. They should get a pass at least until next year.

I can't complain about the season. We knew this was a rebuilding year. We played #1 overall Oregon State in addition to the ACC. We went 6-9 against the top ACC programs. We had an RPI of 90 because (a) the computers didn't like the ACC as much as last year; and (2) we played too many RPI 200 teams during the week.

Can we keep raiding the Ivy and Patriot leagues of "free agent" senior starting pitchers interested in a MS or MBA? :D It is the only thing that has worked between 1961 and 2016.