PDA

View Full Version : Time to perk up this board

MarkD83
03-30-2017, 09:40 PM
There are a lot of "blah" threads on this board lately. I totally understand why given the early exit from the NCAAs and roster changes.

However, I just rewatched the semifinals and finals of the ACC tournament and guess what. Duke won both games!!!! So this 2017 Duke team gets to hang another ACC championship banner. That does perk me up a bit.

Troublemaker
03-30-2017, 10:02 PM
For a season that I suppose most Duke fans will remember as disappointing, it did provide a surprising number of re-watchable games.

The QF, SF, and F games of the ACC tournament were all awesome.

The home win against UNC.

And the 2nd half comeback/destruction of Miami at home, which was the only time this season that Duke imposed its will on an NCAA tourney team.

And those are just MY 5 re-watchable games. Others might have a different list.

CDu
03-30-2017, 10:04 PM
For a season that I suppose most Duke fans will remember as disappointing, it did provide a surprising number of re-watchable games.

The home win against UNC. And the 2nd half comeback against Miami at home, which was the only time this season that Duke imposed its will on an NCAA tourney team.

I would say we imposed our will in road wins against UVa and Notre Dame too. And at home against FSU.

Nugget
03-30-2017, 10:15 PM

The home win against UNC.

And the 2nd half comeback/destruction of Miami at home, which was the only time this season that Duke imposed its will on an NCAA tourney team.

And those are just MY 5 re-watchable games. Others might have a different list.

The last 10 minutes at Wake are pretty re-watchable, too.

mark34
03-30-2017, 10:17 PM
This season was rewarding and exciting . I love tough teams that overcome obstacles to achieve some great things. I took my son to UNC at Cameron... amazing. ACC Championship... amazing. Sure, we lost to a good team a round or two earlier than this team "should" have, but I think that was because of South Carolina. Nothing to bum about. I really respect what this team accomplished.

Furniture
03-30-2017, 10:30 PM
Nice try. Nope. Nah.

Henderson
03-30-2017, 10:36 PM
Nice try. Nope. Nah.

When somebody says "Go to your happy place" it just pisses me off more.

Furniture
03-30-2017, 10:37 PM
Just joking Henderson. Relax.

DukieInKansas
03-30-2017, 11:01 PM
Definitely lots of positives to this year's team.

Local sports radio has been discussing Bill Self and KU - apparently some people think maybe he isn't all that since his record is 2-5 in the Elite Eight. I pointed out to a KU fan that many programs would love to have the record KU had this year. Perhaps we aren't the only fans of a program that are a bit spoiled by success. We expect our teams to win it all each year - and that just isn't possible.

OldPhiKap
03-30-2017, 11:01 PM
I have found that a good PB&J helps.

DukieInKansas
03-30-2017, 11:02 PM
I have found that a good PB&J helps.

Crunchy or smooth? :D ;)

OldPhiKap
03-30-2017, 11:07 PM
Crunchy or smooth? :D ;)

Well-played, DinK. Well-played.

Furniture
03-30-2017, 11:29 PM
I really enjoyed this year. I got frustrated many times with the fellow posters criticism of players like Tatum and Matt. In regards the NCAA tournament on the night of the loss it was tough to sleep. Next day. Next play. Move on. I can't/don't consume myself with UNC.
On the positive side I loved having Harry at Duke. I don't care what people say about OAD. It was great!
So many other great things. Luke's season...wow! Grayson's up and downs. I was at the Elon game. I don't give a feck. Great kid!!! Our seniors Matt and Amile!
I always feel a tinge of sadness when kids transfer. Good luck to Chase and Obi. I will always follow them!!
finally the ACC tournament was brilliant.
Looking forward to next year but first I am going to enjoy the summer in NC ( the welcoming State).

ncexnyc
03-30-2017, 11:32 PM
Well I'm sure this season set the record for least complaints over stall ball. Of course on the downside that would be because we never really had any workable margins.:D

But yes, this was a season most teams would love to have had and we were in every game, win or lose and as a fan I can't ask for much more than that.

Pghdukie
03-30-2017, 11:44 PM
When somebody says "Go to your happy place" it just pisses me off more.

I will certainly agree to this

gep
03-31-2017, 12:50 AM
Well I'm sure this season set the record for least complaints over stall ball. Of course on the downside that would be because we never really had any workable margins.:D

But yes, this was a season most teams would love to have had and we were in every game, win or lose and as a fan I can't ask for much more than that.

I didn't notice this until you mention it... but, yes... I don't recall much, if any, discussions over stall-ball :cool: Forget the downside... because of that, many games were much more exciting because of this.

Olympic Fan
03-31-2017, 12:50 AM
It will be time to perk up a couple of days after the national title is decided Monday night.

Until then, every mention of the tournament -- and every thought of the Cheats still alive -- makes me taste bile.

Give me a couple of days after the title game to turn my focus to next year.

Until then, I don't want to think about the tournament or talk about it or even hear about it (not that I can prevent that).

Spanarkel
03-31-2017, 07:27 AM

@VPI: Duke down by 12 at 9 minute mark of first half, down 17 at 4 minute mark, and 16 at halftime. No closer than 11 the entire second half.

@FSU: Duke down by 10 at 9 minute mark of second half, and by mid-teens the rest of the way(first half/early second half closer but clear that FSU was the better team that night).

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2017, 07:39 AM
@VPI: Duke down by 12 at 9 minute mark of first half, down 17 at 4 minute mark, and 16 at halftime. No closer than 11 the entire second half.

@FSU: Duke down by 10 at 9 minute mark of second half, and by mid-teens the rest of the way(first half/early second half closer but clear that FSU was the better team that night).

You are not very good at perking up the board. :-/

Spanarkel
03-31-2017, 07:53 AM
You are not very good at perking up the board. :-/

I know I'm not, but being responsible for this board's collective happiness would be a heavy burden indeed. I admit to feeling a bit let down by the recently completed season(mainly due to my buying into unrealistic pre-season/early season expectations, fueled somewhat by my compulsive reading of DBR). There were some great accomplishments this season to be cherished as a die-hard Duke fan!

mgtr
03-31-2017, 08:30 AM
I know I'm not, but being responsible for this board's collective happiness would be a heavy burden indeed. I admit to feeling a bit let down by the recently completed season(mainly due to my buying into unrealistic pre-season/early season expectations, fueled somewhat by my compulsive reading of DBR). There were some great accomplishments this season to be cherished as a die-hard Duke fan!

We are all, or mostly all, let down and unhappy. But we are able to contain ourselves to venting (carefully) on this board, and have threatened no referees or their families. Well, at least not in a way that gets reported in the press! :) Go Duke!

weezie
03-31-2017, 09:26 AM
I'll tell ya what, I am very happy to see that Coach K is healthy and feels better than he must have last year at this same time. Came through knee surgery, the Olys in Brazil, and then team injuries and a serious back operation? And he's till jumping around and carrying all of us on his back, staying fierce and determined.

Chins up Deebers, just imagine how much worse it could be.

Natty_B
03-31-2017, 10:34 AM
I think only one thing is going to perk up this board in the near future and that's either Oregon or Gonzaga cutting down the nets.

DukieInKansas
03-31-2017, 10:58 AM
I think only one thing is going to perk up this board in the near future and that's either Oregon or Gonzaga cutting down the nets.

I'm ok with South Carolina doing doing some cutting if that is what it takes.

Jeffrey
03-31-2017, 11:14 AM
IMO, we are watching one of the two all-time greatest college hoops coaches do amazing things. We only have a few K seasons left and I'm enjoying every moment.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2017, 11:17 AM
I know what this board needs -- Stonehenge!

Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15
03-31-2017, 11:28 AM

I'm completely fine with that. I'd take SC beating the snot out of NC for the right to cut down the nets. Their "Duke curse" can kick in next year.

OldPhiKap
03-31-2017, 11:33 AM
Pulling for USC v. Oregon, or if not that, Gonzasga v. Oregon. Won't watch final if the Heels are in it.

aimo
03-31-2017, 12:19 PM

I am wearing a yellow and green shirt today that is almost as obnoxious as Oregon's jerseys. Plus, it's raining here, so I have my DUCK boots on. Quack, Quack!

Indoor66
03-31-2017, 12:24 PM
Go Birds, flock together!

kako
03-31-2017, 02:24 PM
The Wake game ending was technically the best game ending of the season. But emotionally the 3 comebacks in the ACC tourney, with Jones' 3 and the Jones-to-Tatum dunk and foul to cap it off was amazing.

That being said, I think the best way to perk up this board is UNC going down.

I have no problem with USC winning. They were the better team that day, and they have backed up that win with their own historic run. Listening to Frank Martin, he looks like a no-excuses coach (*cough* Roy *cough*) that cares about his players... But actually, I have no problem with any of the other 3 teams winning. GTHC.

kAzE
03-31-2017, 02:38 PM
Pulling for USC v. Oregon, or if not that, Gonzasga v. Oregon. Won't watch final if the Heels are in it.

Really? Watching them lose last year in spectacular fashion left me feeling warm and fuzzy inside for days.

Who doesn't enjoy Tar Heel tears? (https://twitter.com/SupDogsUNC/status/717194990322057217)

OldPhiKap
03-31-2017, 03:00 PM
Really? Watching them lose last year in spectacular fashion left me feeling warm and fuzzy inside for days.

Who doesn't enjoy Tar Heel tears? (https://twitter.com/SupDogsUNC/status/717194990322057217)

Yeah, but I waited to know they lost before watching the game. I have enough stress in my life.

Troublemaker
03-31-2017, 03:20 PM

I would root for SC if UNC had already lost, but Gonzaga-SC is the early game and I feel more comfortable with Gonzaga as the backstop if UNC manages to get by Oregon. I feel like the dork polls are due to get something right, and it would be nice vindication perhaps if the Zags won it all. The computers love Gonzaga.

BluDvlsN1
03-31-2017, 03:55 PM
I just ran across this and wanted to share.

This seems like a reasonable thread for it.

Shane Battier on what's it like to play for Coach K.

Exceptional article.

https://takechargefoundation.org/playing-for-coach-k/

ncexnyc
03-31-2017, 05:51 PM

And I bet you remember every girl that turned you down as well:D Part of being a fan is having a very short memory, except when things fall our way of course.

Steven43
03-31-2017, 07:15 PM

My favorite post of the month. Thank you.